Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/12/ratings-news-5th-december-2015.html

Early overnight ratings.

So, Grimm went even deeper into fractional territory (down to 0.8, which I think is the lowest ever), but they DID gain some viewers back.  My guess is that it will probably be adjusted up to 0.9, which is still fractional.  It will be interesting to see how next week plays out...it sounds like the Rat King was better than expected and without or at least with minimal amounts of that one plot that everyone seems to hate (I have yet to watch it, so I'm taking everyone's word on it).  We'll see if it was enough to at least stop the landslide.

I wonder if they can even turn things around? The show runners apparently chose a direction that THEY though was going to work, but the rating (and message boards) say otherwise. But it's not like they can react to that and churn out a fresh script and show in response to declining ratings. They are several episodes down the road already, are they not? At the very least, the "all important" episodes that will determine the future (season 6) of Grimm are pretty much done, right? One can only hope that the show runners were able to see the writing on the wall after the season premiere , and perhaps readjust later episodes.

I know people say that Truble may save this show..,I think that job will fall to Meisner - and how fixes this Adalind mess.

I wonder if they can even turn things around? The show runners apparently chose a direction that THEY though was going to work, but the rating (and message boards) say otherwise. But it's not like they can react to that and churn out a fresh script and show in response to declining ratings. They are several episodes down the road already, are they not? At the very least, the "all important" episodes that will determine the future (season 6) of Grimm are pretty much done, right? One can only hope that the show runners were able to see the writing on the wall after the season premiere , and perhaps readjust later episodes.

I know people say that Truble may save this show..,I think that job will fall to Meisner - and how fixes this Adalind mess.

I believe that they are now filming 513, so they are 8 episodes out.  However, they do have time to do some editing to try and neutralize some damage in the yet-to-be-aired episodes.  The problem is that, when it comes back from hiatus, it has 1-2 episodes before it goes into sweeps...and those episodes have all already been filmed.  So, I don't know...this may already be a Dead Show Walking.

The one thing that it does have going for it is that, this summer, NBC signed new contracts with Kouf and Greenwalt.  That doesn't guarantee seasons 6 and 7--but it does show that the network has at least some faith in them (misplaced, in my opinion).

I agree about Meisner.  I was watching this and thinking that he is, by far, the most bad ass character this show has seen.  I'd be perfectly happy if they spun him out (and sent Trubel and Adalind with him)...I would definitely watch that show and, frankly, that might save Grimm.

Edited by OtterMommy

http://zap2it.com/2015/12/grimm-exclusive-scene-nick-hank-wesen/

Wow, a scene that actually makes me want to watch the show.

2 notes:

1 - Hank makes the distinction between himself and Nick: Hank is a cop, Nick is a Grimm.  I guess that hints at Nick no longer being a "by the law" kind of guy.

2 - Nick actually seems competent...and darker here....  

I don't know how much I can put on one clip, but this does at least give me a glimmer of hope.

Now, to kill that hope....I really wanted the woman, when given the picture of the "claw" and asked what it was, to say, "Oh, that's just the Aswang."  Because, really...if you are going to bring up some symbol to embody the major plot of your season, try not to choose a symbol that you used 2 seasons ago for something else....really!

Juliette.  Blech.

I wish Hank, Nick, Wu, Renard, etc... would stop outing that Nick is a freaking Grimm every time they meet some wesen or else just take out a TV ad and put us out of our misery.   There are supposedly so few Grimms and Nick is now a parent with a child, so it does NOT make any sense for the Scooby gang to just blab their mouths like teenagers!

• Love 1

I don't understand the rules for wesen/Grimm recognition.  I thought with that girl in the clip being quite close to Nick and looking at him straight in the face, she'd recognize the Grimminality.  We've seen other wesen do that, right?  Was it ever explained?  Why did they make such a big deal of Nick wearing sunglasses at Monroe and Rosalee's wedding? 

I don't understand the rules for wesen/Grimm recognition.  I thought with that girl in the clip being quite close to Nick and looking at him straight in the face, she'd recognize the Grimminality.  We've seen other wesen do that, right?  Was it ever explained?  Why did they make such a big deal of Nick wearing sunglasses at Monroe and Rosalee's wedding? 

Replying in the Wesen thread...

Kristi Turnquist's recap of 506.

She's the first person outside this board I've seen to actually make the connection between Wesen Nacht and Kristallnacht, although she doesn't go any farther than make the connection.

I'll probably sit out the triumphant return of Juliette.  But the Kristallnacht relation is cringeworthy.

In Organ Grinder, there was some controversy over the Geier wesen, which had antisemitic overtones. 

• Love 1

"In Organ Grinder, there was some controversy over the Geier wesen, which had antisemitic overtones. "

Good point. At the time of the airing, I was thinking that as well. But, then this past year when the Planned Parenthood stuff hit the news, my mind thought "we're there Geiers involved?" The Geier episode was one of the creepier ones.

Thanks for the link.

“Juliette’s flesh and blood, her DNA, is still alive,” the actress says. “But this is not Juliette.”

The show's way of excusing Juliette from the shit she pulled last season. 

NO WARM FUZZIES | Remember how Juliette was an animal-loving, tagine-cooking, friendly almost-fiancée? Yeah, Eve’s none of those things. The new character “is a weapon,” Tulloch says. “She is very badass, and she’s almost robotic… It’s not so much that she’s ruthless, it’s that she’s very calculated and all she’s focused on is getting the job done.”

Tulloch is still obsessed with being some badass.

• Love 4

Tulloch is still obsessed with being some badass.

Sigh..when did "strong women" mean "Badass."  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a female who can kick butt, but there is also nothing wrong with a realistic female character who handles what life throws at her with intelligence and inner strength.

(Stepping off soapbox....for now...)

• Love 3

Sigh..when did "strong women" mean "Badass."  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a female who can kick butt, but there is also nothing wrong with a realistic female character who handles what life throws at her with intelligence and inner strength.

(Stepping off soapbox....for now...)

Yeah, what Tulloch said is kinda insulting.  Juliette goes from loving animals and cooking to being some badass.  A woman is strong when she can go a couple of rounds kicking butt.  I assume that she means to be being able to fight a man.

• Love 3

Wait..I just caught the sentence - Bitsie says that Eve is "almost robotic? " So - THAT is a character BT CAN play!

Because she can do TOTALLY robotic. Maybe the writers have finally decided to play to the "strengths " of the actress?

• Love 5

Sometimes I feel pretty bad for Bitsie because of all the negativity against her that she must be aware of, but then she goes and does an interview like this.  Eve is going to be a focused weapon and Bitsie prepared by eating a ton of protein and training hard.  Who really wants to see her musculature, if any, and don't they have stunt people?  And the producers have said she will be in every episode.  Happy Festivus for the rest of us.

• Love 2

Sometimes I feel pretty bad for Bitsie because of all the negativity against her that she must be aware of, but then she goes and does an interview like this.  Eve is going to be a focused weapon and Bitsie prepared by eating a ton of protein and training hard.  Who really wants to see her musculature, if any, and don't they have stunt people?  And the producers have said she will be in every episode.  Happy Festivus for the rest of us.

Moving to the Juliette thread....

Let's keep the Juliette complaints contained in the Juliette topic or the Well, It Says Right Here topic, please. It's the holiday season and the mods would LOVE to have a topic that wasn't all about how horrible Juliette is, please and thank you!

Okay?

nfO3R7q.jpg

Okay!

• Love 4

Awww, Christmas Lord Monroe!  ::feels Christmas-y::  (Honest! I wish I could do up like Monroe for the holiday season. )

Can we even quantify how much good will they would have built up by giving us a couple scenes inside Monroe's ?  I think not.

• Love 3

NBC just canceled Heroes Reborn which had a 1.0 rating last week. Though Heroes was on Thursdays, and not Fridays like Grimm. The latest episode of Grimm had a 0.9...

So what is the ratings threshold for Grimm before cancellation becomes a real danger? 0.7? 0.6?

The only reason it has survived so long is because it airs on Fridays where lower ratings are tolerated.

NBC just canceled Heroes Reborn which had a 1.0 rating last week. Though Heroes was on Thursdays, and not Fridays like Grimm. The latest episode of Grimm had a 0.9...

So what is the ratings threshold for Grimm before cancellation becomes a real danger? 0.7? 0.6?

The only reason it has survived so long is because it airs on Fridays where lower ratings are tolerated.

I'll be amazed if it is renewed.  As far as I can tell, it really only has 3 things going for it at the moment:

1 - NBC owns the show

2 - Last summer, NBC signed a 2 year contract with Kouf and Greenwalt

3 - Some of the production costs are lower because it is filmed up here in Portland (although my guess is that the F/X  and make-up budgets might eat up the difference)

On the flip side, it lost about 25% of its viewing audience (which was already at a low) in the first 3 episodes of this season and the decline seems to have continued.  NBC really doesn't put much effort into promoting it at all and, frankly, the network is letting things slide that they probably wouldn't if they had more of an interest in keeping he show around (plain old bad writing, questionable plots, etc...)

I guess we'll have to see how things play out in February.  I'm honestly not planning on watching it at all--I deleted all the past episode (most of which from this season I hadn't seen) and, while it is still in my DVR queue, I don't know if I'm even going to continue taping it.  I'll just get the lowdown from the brave souls here who are still watching!

3 - Some of the production costs are lower because it is filmed up here in Portland (although my guess is that the F/X  and make-up budgets might eat up the difference)

The show wants to focus on world building, but it's so cheap. 

I was expecting to see the transformation of the Rat King, but nothing happened.  Just a bunch of people waking up from a long night of drinking. 

I guess we'll have to see how things play out in February.  I'm honestly not planning on watching it at all--I deleted all the past episode (most of which from this season I hadn't seen) and, while it is still in my DVR queue, I don't know if I'm even going to continue taping it.  I'll just get the lowdown from the brave souls here who are still watching!

What's going to happen when Meisner is shirtless for sweeps?

• Love 1

What's going to happen when Meisner is shirtless for sweeps?

Tumblr and youtube will get right on that, mercifully allowing anyone to skip the actual episode. A one-scene stunt or flashes of nudity ain't what they used to be when it comes to getting people to watch.

Since the NBC contract is longer than this Grimm season, if Grimm is canceled, will Kouf and Greenwalt get a new show? Not that I'd be interested, with this recent track record, but I'm curious what happens with the contract if they don't.

Tumblr and youtube will get right on that, mercifully allowing anyone to skip the actual episode. A one-scene stunt or flashes of nudity ain't what they used to be when it comes to getting people to watch.

Since the NBC contract is longer than this Grimm season, if Grimm is canceled, will Kouf and Greenwalt get a new show? Not that I'd be interested, with this recent track record, but I'm curious what happens with the contract if they don't.

The way someone explained it here before was like this:  the contract with K&G is like an actor's contract.  It ties them into the show...as long as the show lasts.  If they show is canceled, the contract is...what?...nullified?

That could be the case.  We don't know the terms of this contract, so we can't be sure.  I will say this:  The way Grimm has gone this season, it is almost like they've given up on it and already have another show in mind for next season (that's just my speculation).  If that is the case....shame on them, both for the fans and for the actors.

• Love 2

The way someone explained it here before was like this:  the contract with K&G is like an actor's contract.  It ties them into the show...as long as the show lasts.  If they show is canceled, the contract is...what?...nullified?

That could be the case.  We don't know the terms of this contract, so we can't be sure.  I will say this:  The way Grimm has gone this season, it is almost like they've given up on it and already have another show in mind for next season (that's just my speculation).  If that is the case....shame on them, both for the fans and for the actors.

There would be a payout for the remainder of their contract, not the full amount but some agreed upon percentage.
  • Love 1

If Grimm ends this year, we will more than likely see a female spin off with Trubel and the wesen uprising / Hadrian Wall folks.

Today's Grimm show is about everything but the main character.

Unfortunately, the ratings at this point don't justify a spinoff.  I agree with your last sentiment though...Nick has become a useless shadow of a character.

• Love 1

They stopped caring a while ago, but wow the show has gotten so bad, especially the last 2 seasons which are barely even watchable.

Why do folks think the show is likely to be canceled? The Renew/Cancel column at TvByTheNumbers, which has a very good track record of predicting these things, has it in the "likely to be renewed" column.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/26/nbc-renewcancel-standings-week-18-superstore-is-likely-to-get-a-second-season/

Are there other analysts with a track record who are coming to a different conclusion? I'm curious, because there seem to be so many people here who think it's doomed. I would like to read the counter-evidence to my usual sources!

Whether people want it to be renewed, is of course another matter. I don't exactly wish cancellation on it, because some people still like it and it's employing some decent folks. But I'm having a very hard time watching it, because so much of it currently bores and annoys me, and it has for quite a while. But my tastes are never very much predictive of the ratings of anything.

Edited by possibilities

Why do folks think the show is likely to be canceled? The Renew/Cancel column at TvByTheNumbers, which has a very good track record of predicting these things, has it in the "likely to be renewed" column.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/26/nbc-renewcancel-standings-week-18-superstore-is-likely-to-get-a-second-season/

Are there other analysts with a track record who are coming to a different conclusion? I'm curious, because there seem to be so many people here who think it's doomed. I would like to read the counter-evidence to my usual sources!

Whether people want it to be renewed, is of course another matter. I don't exactly wish cancellation on it, because some people still like it and it's employing some decent folks. But I'm having a very hard time watching it, because so much of it currently bores and annoys me, and it has for quite a while. But my tastes are never very much predictive of the ratings of anything.

There are a number of sites like the TV By the Numbers and they have Grimm anywhere from Safe to Likely to be canceled, so it is hard to tell.

Signs that it might be canceled:

1 - Viewership continues to drop (although this past episode did go up a bit)

2 - There are a lot of public complaints out there

3 - I read somewhere...and I'm sorry but I haven't yet found the article...that the social media mentions have also dropped

4 - Not only is viewership dropping, but it is dropping very quickly in the 18-49 bracket

5 - The media buys dropped by 30% last year, which is not good.

Signs that it might not be canceled:

1 - Even with the crap ratings, it is the highest rated show (except for Dateline) that NBC has on Friday nights.

2 - The new contract with Kouf and Greenwalt

3 - NBC owns the show

4 - The City of Portland puts A LOT of effort to keep productions here.  They are losing Portlandia soon, so they are probably making some sweet offers to NBC over Grimm.

I guess we'll have to wait a couple more months or so to see how it pans out....

Grimm has respectable numbers in the Live+7 ratings. It is doing well in syndication, foreign sales are good and it is network-owned. It is less expensive to produce than a show filmed in New York or Los Angeles. Those are all things that are favorable for renewal and the more reliable prognosticators take them into account. It's normal for shows to lose viewers as they age. Every show has viewers and then it has fans. The viewers number in the millions while the online fans number in the thousands at best. If networks want to know what viewers think about their shows they do some market research, conduct surveys and focus groups. They don't base business decisions on what a handful of overinvested fans on the internet are talking about because they are not representative of total viewership.

Edited by orza

There is losing viewers and there are viewers staying away in droves.   Fractional viership cannot be considered good by any means.

As noted above, ad sales have dropped.   If advertisers won't buy airtime because they won't have eyeballs on it, a show is dead in the water.   The point is to make money.   The money comes from ad sales.

• Love 2

Sleep Hollow's ad sales have fallen in half this season, but FOX is still pushing forward with the show at its new time slot on Fridays. Don't assume a network will drop a show they are making so quickly for a new unproven show that will more than likely tank in the ratings.

Nowadays a show's future does not stand or fall with ad sales from the live network broadcast. That is an outdated business model. Revenue from streaming media such as Hulu, Netflix and Amazon can far exceed ad sales for the live airing. Ad sales is just one revenue stream, and for some shows it is not necessarily the most important or lucrative stream. Networks look at overall profitability across all revenue streams when making renewal decisions.

Nowadays a show's future does not stand or fall with ad sales from the live network broadcast. That is an outdated business model. Revenue from streaming media such as Hulu, Netflix and Amazon can far exceed ad sales for the live airing. Ad sales is just one revenue stream, and for some shows it is not necessarily the most important or lucrative stream. Networks look at overall profitability across all revenue streams when making renewal decisions.

You're right that it is an outdated method and there are other factors that go into a network's decision.  Still, the biggest determining--especially for the big 4 networks--factors are ratings and media buys, both of which have fallen drastically for Grimm.

Personally, I think it is a toss up and I won't be surprised with whatever the network decides (well, I would be excited--and THRILLED--if they fired Kouf and Greenwalt and brought in a new team).  I guess we'll just have to wait a few months.

• Love 1

No, sweeps are still relevant.They are used to calculate broadcast ad rates until the next sweeps period. There has to be a method that everyone agrees on to determine how much air time is worth. Streaming and syndication also have their formulas for setting rates.

Networks have more revenue streams today than they did 20 years ago and their decision making process reflects that.

CBS and FOX no longer use the live + same day ratings in their decision making process. The rest of the industry is poised to follow suit. Premium cable gave up on them some time ago.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/cbs-shifts-ratings-focus-to-live-plus-7-adding-projections-to-daily-reports-1201307649/

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/fox-ditches-live-same-day-ratings/145971

Grimm is doing well in the Live+7.

Edited by orza