Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: The Overnight

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

ABC looks to be doing some synergy with this one, folks. This will air on April 5, 2020:

Officers Chen and Bradford respond to a call at the Los Angeles auditions of American Idol, and Officer Chen ends up facing Ryan Seacrest and the judges. Chen befriends a reporter whose motives are not clear.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Officer Chen ends up facing Ryan Seacrest and the judges

Fun fact: Melissa O'Neil won the third season of Canadian Idol.

I'm glad the writers seem to have realized this season that Melissa O'Neil/Chen has the acting chops to not need to be half of a romantic pairing to be interesting.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm glad the writers seem to have realized this season that Melissa O'Neil/Chen has the acting chops to not need to be half of a romantic pairing to be interesting.

So a poll is due, What episode will Two Officer Chin go undercover as a club singer?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

No that's Trailer Park Boys, and possibly FUBAR, and definitely The Mackenzie Brothers.
But not Letterkenney.

If you are not familiar with Letterkenney this was the one with the least swearing.

It's on HULU in the US and broadcast in Canada.

Honestly can’t wait for the possibility of Melissa singing, cause she has such an amazing voice. Plus, I have this feeling Roselyns character is going to try and put a wedge between Chen/Bradford. Can’t have Roselyn on without scenes with Eric, her husband.

• Love 2

That was supposed to be a coral snake, right?  Then why did it sound like a rattler?

The episode was okay, but I'm just hoping that someone returned the little doggo back to the 'ghost lady'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Weird episode!

I get the feeling the floor manager pushed Lucy in the room in order to get her hands on the meth smoothie.

Was the audio dub/mix off when Lucy was singing?

I want to know why the man wanted a restraining order on Meow Tse Tung.

Bradford has impressive ears to hear the Valerie/Chen's conversation.

If there are 3 other reported hotel cases, the detectives from the other stations are clueless to see the connection or couldn't Lucy talk to a detective in her station to call the other stations instead of just passing info to Valerie?  

If the 2 men didn't want the concierge to report the robberies, how did they end up in the CAD reports?

Couldn't Nolan and Nyla at least follow the blood to see how far it went down the street? Would have led to the lady's house.

First time I ever cheered/laughed for a snake bite! Seems like the snake should have bitten him the moment he stuck his hand in the bag without looking.

I would be pissed too if the repair man quoted $500 and the final bill came to $2,000!

Valerie could have tossed her phone through the opening next to Bradford's foot instead of dropping it.

Nolan is always finding trouble!

Griffin has some serious speed and strength to crack open the ceiling and then get Nolan up hanging from the pipes before he woken from his concussion.  

So for 3 nights just Lila heard screaming? What was Donovan doing all that time and did the other neighbors choose to ignore the man? If Benjamin has a job, they didn't call the police for him missing work for 1 or 3 days? What inconsiderate neighbors and friends.

I almost thought the coyote was going to leap out and attack the dog when Nolan approached.

I wonder how fast Donovan got on the phone to his realtor after hearing about his neighbor. 

I guess the show couldn't wait for the wind to stop in order to film. The show must go on!

Please don't have Valerie be a recurring character and have her chase Bradford.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Valerie could have tossed her phone through the opening next to Bradford's foot instead of dropping it.

Who needs the phone?  Every picture I ever take is automatically backed up to Google Photos.  A reporter doesn't know how to do that?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Who needs the phone?  Every picture I ever take is automatically backed up to Google Photos.  A reporter doesn't know how to do that?

This is the same woman that put a glass to a wall!

She worked in the style section for 15 years, got a little anxious on he first scoop and forgot to have everything in place. Next time, she'll be properly prepared with the camera setup, have her wall climbing gear, bugging equipment and night goggles ready.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

That was supposed to be a coral snake, right?  Then why did it sound like a rattler?

I at least want to read on Twitter that the rattler sound effect for the coral snake was Not the sound effects person's choice.

45 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Nolan is always finding trouble!

I laughed. I've never laughed at horror before, but now that I'm the age of the ghost woman, I finally get it.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I laughed. I've never laughed at horror before, but now that I'm the age of the ghost woman, I finally get it.

The scene of her walking reminded me of something out of a  Scooby-Doo cartoon. I almost yelled "Yikes"!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Fun Fact: apparently the idol judges did not know before hand that Melissa could sing or that she won Canadian Idol, so their reactions to her Performance was legit.

Positives: The dynamic/chemistry between Lucy/Tim/Valerie was great. Definitely a guest star I would like to see come back whenever they renew the show. If you ever listened to Eric and Roselyns podcast (which you should cause it’s hilarious), watching them together was like a live version of it.

-Angela freaking the fuck out (especially thinking he was going to propose on a hot air balloon 😂) then she went into total soft cinnamon roll...happy that they finally got their engagement. So I expect a big wedding if we get a next season.

- While I am tired of Nolan always getting himself into trouble or him being the white knight, I do like the continued strengthening of his bond with Harper.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Who-ever directed it in the beginning - it should have been way faster.  They have so many characters I can't keep track at this point.  It is bloated.  They need to get the cast down.

I'm not even a huge fan of Lopez and her boyfriend (I don't DISlike them, I just don't care much about them either way), but damn, that proposal was adorable. One thing I would love is if we could just have a relationship where a couple gets together, falls in love, gets married and then just stays married. There's so many other characters, why not have this one have a normal enough relationship (outside of the Sarge, whose marriage is not a key part of the show). 

I didn't even watch Canadian Idol, but I was a fan of Melissa O'Neil's time on that show from YouTube clips, so that's actually one of the first thing I thought of when this show started, "You mean, the lady who won Canadian Idol?" so it was fun to see her get to shine on American Idol. 

• Love 5

The biggest hole that they do need to address when they get a season 3, is Nolan himself. I honestly stay to watch Bradford/Chen and Jackson/Lopez. They have done a great job developing these two different connections/relationships.

Nolan on the other hand is used more for crazy OTT storylines that always throws him in stupid danger with the guest at of the evening. Or him trying to navigate a boring love story, where most likely Grace and him won’t last and he’ll probably move on to Girlfriend number 4 before the season ends....I do miss Bishop so much.

• Love 3

I really thought that when Chen and the reporter were in the hotel lobby that Ryan Seacrest would walk through and shout - hey, there's the lady cop with the incredible voice!  and blow the whole thing.   When the episode ended without any mention of her audition I was wondering what the point was.  Now learning (through this thread) that she was the Canadian Idol winner, it makes more sense - a silly cross-show gimmick just for the hell of it.

I also thought the reporter and Bradford had great chemistry, so it was fun to learn that they're married in real life.  I don't want them to be an on-screen thing, though.

Add me to the list of people wondering how the hell the little neighbor guy got Nolan all strung up on pipes in the ceiling.  Also, regular water pipes would not have held his weight.  A sewer line, maybe, but then that would not have been water gushing through at the end when he broke free...

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Add me to the list of people wondering how the hell the little neighbor guy got Nolan all strung up on pipes in the ceiling.

Find another chair FFS!!!! 

Edited by paigow
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I really thought that when Chen and the reporter were in the hotel lobby that Ryan Seacrest would walk through and shout - hey, there's the lady cop with the incredible voice!  and blow the whole thing.   When the episode ended without any mention of her audition I was wondering what the point was.  Now learning (through this thread) that she was the Canadian Idol winner, it makes more sense - a silly cross-show gimmick just for the hell of it.

I was one of those who already knew Melissa/Chen was the Canadian Idol winner and that she would have a bit before the American Idol judges, and for me it was perfect.
But, @chaifan, as a viewer who wasn't "in on" the background of the bit, did it just leave you cold, or...?

BTW, I didn't know ahead of time that it was filmed without Katy Perry and the judges knowing what was going on.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was one of those who already knew Melissa/Chen was the Canadian Idol winner and that she would have a bit before the American Idol judges, and for me it was perfect.
But, @chaifan, as a viewer who wasn't "in on" the background of the bit, did it just leave you cold, or...?

BTW, I didn't know ahead of time that it was filmed without Katy Perry and the judges knowing what was going on.

Since they often do a quirky/funny opening scene, it didn't seem too off for this show.  But without knowing the connection, it just screamed of blatant cross promotion of another ABC show.  I just assumed they'd loop back to it somehow, and when the episode ended without that happening it all just seemed sort of stupid to me. 

I do think it's funny that the fact that all 3 American Idol judges had no clue she was a past winner of Canadian Idol says a lot as to the "fame" that this show brings most of the contestants.  (Yes, there are some breakout stars, but those are the exception.)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Is it bad that when Chen started singing I wanted her to be put back in the barrel?

Asking for a friend.

At first it was bearable... then my teeth started to hurt.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, rhys said:

Plus I didn't know Jai acted.

When he was in the first scene, I thought, okay, random, what are you doing here, Jai? And then he seemed to be done, so I thought, what was the point of that, some sort of quick cameo role? I had totally forgotten about him by the time Nolan got hit in the head.

Glad he wasn't just doing one scene after all, but I did wonder how he could have gotten Nolan up in those pipes, chair or no. Nathan Fillion's lost weight, but he's still taller and he's got a solid frame, he's got some muscles going on, so... love you, Jai, but come on. Especially because I assume he also had to break through the ceiling first, which is noisy and time-consuming. It was just a bit odd.

(Then again, a friend of mine in high school was kind of skinny and totally offended when I said I felt like I was too heavy for him to lift me up for a show choir dance move, and he proved himself by picking me up and carrying me around the stage and wouldn't put me down until I conceded that yes, indeed, he was strong enough. LOL. Never insult a man's strength.)

Nevertheless, I like Nolan helping out his partner for the evening, and then (thank goodness) she helped him right back. That duct tape part was a little creepy - reminded me of that Gianni Versace crime story they did last year? I don't like anything where you can't breathe, so I was pretty tense watching that part.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:53 PM, mxc90 said:

I want to know why the man wanted a restraining order on Meow Tse Tung.

I did too! I think she could have heard him out at least, before sending him on his way. It's not like she looked particularly busy. She should have made sure he was mentally competent and not using his "cat" as metaphor for someone in his life he actually needed a restraining order against.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the hole in the ceiling was already there rigged up with some kind of pulley. That crazy ass guy was torturing his boyfriend to the point he had him drugged and tied up to a chair. I don't think it's hard to believe at one point he had him hanging from the pipe like Nolan.

That said, he still had to drag the dead weight of Nolan into the house and lift him with a pulley. I think Nolan realized those pipes shouldn't really hold his weight and that's why he kept trying to break it loose by bouncing.

It's one of those you don't want to overthink. 🤨

I'm really enjoying Nolan and Harper's partnership developing the way it is. Not a Chenford fan so I'm glad they didn't feed that beast this episode.

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 2

I re-watched it.  I was way too hard on it the first time - cabin fever and a bad mood.

What strikes me, Nathan seems more an Executive Producer and is letting others steal the show so to speak.   I think he is happy to sit back and let others have their day.  I like that.

He is the Star but he does let the others shine.  That is nice and maybe he is transitioning into another role as producer moving forward.

• Love 6
On 4/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, BooksRule said:

The episode was okay, but I'm just hoping that someone returned the little doggo back to the 'ghost lady'.

The poisonous snake version of the noisy gun trope is that they all rattle.

I'm afraid the ghost has a Captain Ahab future as she hunts Wile E. Coyote  for the rest of her days.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, mxc90 said:

If there are 3 other reported hotel cases, the detectives from the other stations are clueless to see the connection or couldn't Lucy talk to a detective in her station to call the other stations instead of just passing info to Valerie?  

If the 2 men didn't want the concierge to report the robberies, how did they end up in the CAD reports?

Couldn't Nolan and Nyla at least follow the blood to see how far it went down the street? Would have led to the lady's house.

I wondered about all of that myself.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

-Angela freaking the fuck out (especially thinking he was going to propose on a hot air balloon 😂) then she went into total soft cinnamon roll...happy that they finally got their engagement. So I expect a big wedding if we get a next season.

I loved that Wesley had the same anxieties, just on the opposite side of it. They do seem to be made for each other.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:18 AM, shapeshifter said:

I had no idea. I first saw her on Dark Matter.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, BooksRule said:

Yeah that was weird. Maybe they intended a rattler, had to change it up because the snake handler didn't have one, and no one informed the sound department.

18 hours ago, chaifan said:

I also thought the reporter and Bradford had great chemistry, so it was fun to learn that they're married in real life.  I don't want them to be an on-screen thing, though.

That is a fun fact. This episode is full of them.

Though I love Aretha, I only knew this particular song from The Commitments, so I had no reason to find offense with it. I thought she did great.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah that was weird. Maybe they intended a rattler, had to change it up because the snake handler didn't have one, and no one informed the sound department.

A tweet from the writer of the episode:

• Love 1

In Texas we have a saying about coral snakes: "Red and yellow, kill a fellow. Red and black, venom lack." In other words, a red snake where the red and black are touching is not venomous, and it's not a coral snake. The Rookie's snake had red and black touching. From a production point of view though, it's probably easier to get the humans to act (and insurers to insure) around a king or milk snake than a coral snake. 

It took me awhile to place the actress who played Veronica to Days of Our Lives. I thought she had great chemistry with Bradford, but never would have guessed they're married for real.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, ratSenoL said:

it's probably easier to get the humans to act (and insurers to insure) around a king or milk snake than a coral snake. 

Next Allstate commercial will have Mayhem swap out the harmless snake for a lethal one...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/7/2020 at 8:09 AM, Clanstarling said:
On 3/27/2020 at 7:18 AM, shapeshifter said:

I had no idea. I first saw her on Dark Matter.

I too first saw Melissa O'Neil on Dark Matter, but I'm one of those IMDb junkies who has to look up actors in the middle of the episode, which used to drive my family nuts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too first saw Melissa O'Neil on Dark Matter, but I'm one of those IMDb junkies who has to look up actors in the middle of the episode, which used to drive my family nuts.

I do that too - but I only scan to see if they've been in anything I've seen. The other stuff doesn't even register.  Fortunately, my husband is the one usually posing the question, so he doesn't mind.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2020 at 4:30 PM, ratSenoL said:

In Texas we have a saying about coral snakes: "Red and yellow, kill a fellow. Red and black, venom lack." In other words, a red snake where the red and black are touching is not venomous, and it's not a coral snake. The Rookie's snake had red and black touching. From a production point of view though, it's probably easier to get the humans to act (and insurers to insure) around a king or milk snake than a coral snake. 

I've heard, "Red to black, okay jack."  However, I've never been willing to look at a snake long enough to see which of its colors are touching. I'm the one screaming and jumping up and down with my hands over my eyes.

• LOL 3
On 4/7/2020 at 9:42 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

There is such a thing as a stunt snake?

Shirley Python was given a credit in Foul Play for playing Esme. However, it is her only credit. She may have been able to retire on her residuals.

• LOL 2

On a side note, I love the little girl who plays Lila - she's adorable and smart, but not in that smart-alecky, 10-going-on-30 kind of way that so many other TV kids are written.

I do have to laugh at the naming, though. Lila and Nyla!

• Love 1