Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17 Liftoff

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Max searches for a solution to crowdfunding after his eye-opening appearance in a viral 'Go Fund Me' video. Reynolds takes his last laps at the hospital. Kapoor helps a former pilot deal with his life as a paraplegic.

Original air date 3/17

That kid hyperventilating is not helping my anxiety level.

Was testing that girl's knee so urgent that it couldn't wait until after the party?

Would that guy be allowed to film the doctors working on his father like that? 

Are Iggy and Lauren complete idiots? That was dumb.

Bye, Floyd. Hope your new hospital is more realistic than this one.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

The "next week on New Amsterdam" scenes looked intense, and I think it might be pulled.  

I don't know if I can watch that one if it airs.

• Love 1

Wow! Helen was hawt in her green dress! I loved Kapoor’s formal attire.

Now that Evie is gone, maybe the board will consult another attorney who can give them some good legal advice about that terrorist’s wrongful death suit. 😆 BTW, why didn’t they get married in NYC where their friends and family (at least for Floyd) are?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was surprised it took the whole episode to figure out that a GoFundMe managed as a charity fund for the hospital could work. I guess the Max Magic was making it less about the personal need ("victims") and more about the result (survivors).

• Love 2

Okay, this one was a tearjerker. I liked that Iggy's belief in ghosts was tied to his cravings.

Next week does look intense. It can't be coincidence, right?

As for Floyd, I've checked out a couple of sources, and the showrunner says, 

Spoiler

"Reyholds is leaving New Amsterdam and not leaving the show."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I didn't get to see the previews for next week - I'm guessing a virus scenario?

Kapoor's formal attire is fabulous and looks super on him.

Not sure if they said virus but it was some kind of disease outbreak, overrun with patients and staff getting sick. Ended with Kapoor in what looked like an isolation tent looking distraught and ill. Whatever the cause, looks like it might be a little too close to home right now.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Okay, this one was a tearjerker. I liked that Iggy's belief in ghosts was tied to his cravings.

Reveal spoiler

Yeah but how is that gonna work?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Hide contents

Well, Floyd has to come back every Sunday for the family lunch with Mom! 😏

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I thought it was an interesting nod to earlier conflicts between Max and Helen regarding ways to help the hospital—her bringing in donors versus actually working with patients s1 and questions around exploitation of patients to raise funds.  Max was doing that not listening routine when he feels especially righteous, so I’m glad Helen ignored him and listened to the kids. Twould have been great to see the two discuss their almost “moment” last epi, but we must let the angst build, I guess. 

wow!  The cast cleans up nicely, don’t they?  “That...is a dress.”  “Those are scrubs.” Lolz

I liked seeing Bloom and Iggy together and the notion of therapeutic fibbing was interesting. Hope Iggy starts to get help for his disordered eating sooner rather than later. This is no time for “physician, treat thyself” and next week...previews

*breathes deeply. We shall see...

• Love 3
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Wow! Helen was hawt in her green dress!

I was like, "That's a lot of cleavage for a cancer fundraiser."  She looked incredible, if not maybe a little much for the particular occasion. 

I rolled my eyes at Reynolds.  I think a ten year old could have told him to run and get help before jumping into the elevator shaft to try to rescue the kid.  He's lucky that he didn't get them both killed. 

23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Would that guy be allowed to film the doctors working on his father like that? 

No.  And I had real issues with him wanting to use that scene to try to raise money for his father.  I felt like he was robbing his father of his dignity.

I was also angry with myself for agreeing with Max that GoFundMe is essentially a modern version of "Queen for a Day" where the person with the most telegenic and pathetic story "wins" by getting donations. 

• Love 10

This episode was... okay. First off, fuck cancer - the kids actually felt realistic, so +1 to the show for that.They seem to be good at writing young adult cancer patients, *except* when it is Max. Very odd.

Reynolds going in the elevator deserves New Amsterdam's Award For Dumbest Action By A Doctor

How does this show not know how insurance works? "They said it was caused by a second condition, so now we have to pay a second deductible!" .....that is not how insurance works, show! You have one deductible (can be up to 12k or so for some plans), then when it is done for the calendar (usually) year, you've hit it for the year. Then, of course, a lot of plans have BS "coinsurance" - but it sounds like the dad worked a minimum wage job, so he would qualify for either the New Amsterdam Magic Health Card, or for charity care/financial assistance!

All of the hospitals in NYC have similar financial assistance programs - and if his dad earned anywhere near minimum wage, he would qualify for any of them (or medicaid)

• Love 6

I didn't like the episode at all. Nobody who has insurance pays "deductibles by condition". That's just silly. Ans I guess the girl in the fundraising video had a 54K deductible? How is that even possible? It is ridiculous. They could have said that the insurance refused coverage and that they would have to pay the 50K (which would be a ridiculous low amount for a transplant, but hey, why bother with consistency?)

The pilot plot was a missed opportunity. Robotics are great, helping people regain movement must be awesome to them, but the reality is that a tiny fraction of people will ever have access to such technology and they could have gone in the direction of how long acceptance takes, how completely inadequate the world is to welcome a disabled person, I can give so many possible plots that talented writers could turn into interesting stories, without the inspirational and pity tone.

Other huge blunder: Go Fund Me for medical purposes are successful for low a very little number of people. Most fall short of the goal. I don't remember the percentage of cases that fail to reach the needed amount but it is a a very high number.

• Love 5
On 3/18/2020 at 2:18 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

Reveal spoiler

Oh good.  I didn't think I could take two different character (different shows) exits in one week.  Even if this  one has been a long plot point.  I need escapism at this point...not sadness.  I am having a devil of time convincing those who should stay home and be safe to do so, while at the same time, convincing others to stop overreacting. 

Also, I would be okay with next week's plot as it might encourage others to see the danger the real world threat is.  But I can also see where it might be a little too on the nose for many people.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

He's lucky that he didn't get them both killed. 

For dramatic purposes, I agree.  However, although I'm not an elevator engineer, I would think the elevator would stop a few feet above them.  The doors have to match up with the floor, so traveling all the way down would be a mismatch.  And I don't think that elevator cabs have a lot of stuff underneath them either.  On top, maybe, with all the cables and such.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

For dramatic purposes, I agree.  However, although I'm not an elevator engineer, I would think the elevator would stop a few feet above them.  The doors have to match up with the floor, so traveling all the way down would be a mismatch.  And I don't think that elevator cabs have a lot of stuff underneath them either.  On top, maybe, with all the cables and such.

That was the silliest overdramatic plot. How did the elevator start coming down if the door was technically open? 

9 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Other huge blunder: Go Fund Me for medical purposes are successful for low a very little number of people. Most fall short of the goal. I don't remember the percentage of cases that fail to reach the needed amount but it is a a very high number.

Well, I'm pretty sure it said they they were only trying to raise enough to cover their deductible. And they made a point of saying that they went on Ellen. So, like Max said, it was the Ellen factor that caused it to fund. Not the normal course of crowdfunding.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it said they they were only trying to raise enough to cover their deductible. And they made a point of saying that they went on Ellen. So, like Max said, it was the Ellen factor that caused it to fund. Not the normal course of crowdfunding.

I believe the page said that they had reached 53k of 50k goal? or maybe 25k goal

15 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I believe the page said that they had reached 53k of 50k goal? or maybe 25k goal

Oh, good call, I didn't even think about what the page said! Full disclosure, I "watch" this show while I'm doing mindless admin work for my business, so I mainly listen to it. 🤣

• Love 4
On 3/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, txhorns79 said:

I was like, "That's a lot of cleavage for a cancer fundraiser."  She looked incredible, if not maybe a little much for the particular occasion. 

The emerald color did look amazing on her but I thought it was way to low cut for a professional work function. 

I’ll miss Floyd. If he’s truly not leaving the show, I wonder what they’ll do. 

• Love 3
On 3/19/2020 at 6:56 AM, alexvillage said:

What I didn't get was how Max became such a recognized celebrity, considering he was in Allie's video for about five seconds...

On 3/19/2020 at 2:27 AM, bros402 said:

Reynolds going in the elevator deserves New Amsterdam's Award For Dumbest Action By A Doctor

Not to mention, using that plastic wrap from the (conveniently placed) bagel on the kid's chest. I get that it was an emergency, but wouldn't he get an infection, especially if there was cream cheese or something else on it, down there for God knows how long?

Also, what the heck was Reynolds even doing down there? It looked like some kind of basement or deserted ward. How convenient that we have never seen him going that way before, until an emergency struck...

6 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

What I didn't get was how Max became such a recognized celebrity, considering he was in Allie's video for about five seconds...

Not to mention, using that plastic wrap from the (conveniently placed) bagel on the kid's chest. I get that it was an emergency, but wouldn't he get an infection, especially if there was cream cheese or something else on it, down there for God knows how long?

Also, what the heck was Reynolds even doing down there? It looked like some kind of basement or deserted ward. How convenient that we have never seen him going that way before, until an emergency struck...

My best guess for Reynolds being down there: he wanted a quiet place to walk around before he left the hospital for the last time

11 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Are there more episodes this season? 

One more - the pandemic episode got pulled, and they had something like 3 episodes unfinished before COVID

5 hours ago, bros402 said:

One more - the pandemic episode got pulled, and they had something like 3 episodes unfinished before COVID

Thanks. I wonder how all the shows are going to deal with this whole mess. I am not sure when most shows resume filming but the first wave of the pandemic will likely last through the summer, and then there is usually a second wave, which will likely happen before a vaccine is developed.

18 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Thanks. I wonder how all the shows are going to deal with this whole mess. I am not sure when most shows resume filming but the first wave of the pandemic will likely last through the summer, and then there is usually a second wave, which will likely happen before a vaccine is developed.

Well, I bet a lot of TV shows aren't going to end on cliffhangers this season - which will be a welcome change.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wasn’t tonight a new episode? I saw only the very end. I couldn’t find a thread for it, though.

Yes, it was an hour and 10 minutes; Ryan Eggold did a little intro (from home and clearly needing a haircut) about how they weren't showing the Pandemic episode, and also had Daniel Dae Kim (who plays the new trauma surgeon and got Covid while he was in NY to film; he's apparently doing okay now) then showed a preview of all his scenes from the Pandemic episode (because it introduced him; none of the scenes involved sick patients), then they had the season finale episode (ep 18, "A Matter of Seconds"). But you're right, there's no thread yet. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, it was an hour an 10 minutes; Ryan Eggold did a little intro about how they weren't showing the Pandemic episode, and also had Daniel Dae Kim (who plays the new trauma surgeon and got Covid while he was in NY to film; he's apparently doing okay now) then showed a preview of all his scenes from the Pandemic episode (because it introduced him; none of the scenes involved sick patients), then they had the season finale episode (ep 18, "A Matter of Seconds"). But you're right, there's no thread yet. 

Oh, sorry I missed most of it. I hope I can catch it on demand.

2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, sorry I missed most of it. I hope I can catch it on demand.

It was on an hour earlier than usual, too, so I would have missed it if I hadn't checked. I assume it will be available on demand..

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, it was an hour and 10 minutes; Ryan Eggold did a little intro (from home and clearly needing a haircut) about how they weren't showing the Pandemic episode, and also had Daniel Dae Kim (who plays the new trauma surgeon and got Covid while he was in NY to film; he's apparently doing okay now) then showed a preview of all his scenes from the Pandemic episode (because it introduced him; none of the scenes involved sick patients), then they had the season finale episode (ep 18, "A Matter of Seconds"). But you're right, there's no thread yet. 

Made a thread.

• Love 2

Theraputic fibbing.  I didn't know there was an actual name for it. 

I do remember dealing with an elderly family friend who was in a nursing home but kept thinking she was still in her own house and she used to tell me to go into her kitchen and make myself a cup of tea or get a drink from the fridge.   And it was just so much simpler to say "No thanks, I'm grand without it" rather than trying to go through the rigamarole of explaining that there was no kitchen to go to.

Reynolds was an idiot.  You don't jump into a rescue without telling somebody what you're doing.  And it's not like they were in the middle of nowhere.  It would have taken two minutes for him to get upstairs and find somebody to alert to the situation.

I feel for Iggy with his comment about "How bad did he look before" when people are telling him he looks good now.  But that's the problem when you tell people you're trying to eat healthily or diet, they'll feel obligated to to compliment you so that you'll be encouraged to keep on with it, and that can backfire as in Iggy's case. 

• Love 1