Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

They went on a tear a few years ago copyright claiming really old clips of Days of Our Lives most of which had been on YT for years before that. 

Oh, so they do that with all their shows. I know SNL has their own channel now but they still don't have a lot of sketches I'd like to see. I have some on video, but still missing many. So weird that they care so much about material that aired almost 30 years ago. If they hadn't stopped putting them out on DVD at season 5, I would've bought them. But they won't, so we're left trying to find them however we can. 🤷🏻‍♀️

On 12/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, Lantern7 said:

Will there be a “Classic” episode tonight? Also, did Bush ever pop up on SNL? In an episode, not a special.

He did. I don't remember when, but once it was to criticize Carvey's performance and deny that he ever said or did the things Carvey did in his impression--while saying and doing the very things!

The second time, it was to matter-of-factly declare that he resented the impression and that he would be seeking revenge, being such a stickler for propriety that he refused to say "Live from New York. . .", because he was in Texas.

• Love 3

I'm watching tonight's vintage episode from 2006 with Justin Timberlake, and I was surprised there were no "featured" cast members . I didn't remember that ever happening.

Also, I just have to smile when I see Keenan in the cast for these "old" episodes. I somehow feel like he's my kids' childhood friend who made good.

• Love 6

Some hosts meshed better than others. The late Ruth Gordon evidently got along so poorly with the Players during her 1977 hosting gig, that as soon as the NBC red light went off after the Closing Monologue, she walked off the stage,  through the studio audience and left the building altogether instead of joining the aftershow cast party. 

Edited by Blergh
time stamp
  • Love 2

While I'd seen highlights of Timberlake's Christmas episode ("Santa's My Boyfriend," "Homelessville" and "Dick in a Box" usually make it into the annual special), I'd never seen the whole thing.  He was surprisingly good in the Target sketch -- really cracked me up.  The game show about not crying was pretty funny as well. 

Other than the cheesy opening song, the 2011 Fallon episode was pretty good.  I've only seen the abbreviated version of Justin Timberlake's 2006 Christmas episode, but I was surprised at how good that was:  Santa's My Boyfriend, Bring it on Down to Homelessville, Dick in a Box, Barry Gibb talk show, the Target Lady and warehouse guy ("I hope a third thing doesn't happen to it"), and even the Dry Eyes game show were all winners.

18 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

I want a "Lorne Micheal's Family Reunion" sketch where everybody does there Lorne impression, like the did with Christopher Walken.

I remember them doing something similar with Drew Barrymore once too, with cast members playing real-life Barrymores in their famous roles (John Barrymore as Hamlet, etc) doing Drew's valley girl drawl.

• Love 2

Wow, I had totally not remembered that Rob Riggle was ever on SNL! I only remember him (other than the Daily Show) as the nemesis on pretty much every sitcom ever. 

Oh and, hey, Donald Trump shout out at the very end. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 1

The Dr Phil sketch really fell flat. It seems to be everyone remembers every episode of the Tina Fey era as being perfect, not so.

I can’t believe they left out “Sexual Harrassment and You.”  “Be Handsome, Be Attractive, Don’t be Unattractive.”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I can’t believe they left out “Sexual Harrassment and You.”  “Be Handsome, Be Attractive, Don’t be Unattractive.”

Post #MeToo, I'm not surprised that sketch got the ax.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 11:59 PM, Oldtimesnlfan said:

I wish we could get some 80s shows in these classics. I have the first 5 on dvd but haven’t seen any 80s shows since Comedy Central ran them in the 90s.

I wonder if I'm the only fan of Tim Kazurinsky. I'll never forget a short film featuring Tim as a hitchhiker, picked up by a sultry looking woman in a luxury car. She starts to put the moves on him & the last scene is of the car going off a cliff...one of those odd short films featured back in the 80's.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if I'm the only fan of Tim Kazurinsky. I'll never forget a short film featuring Tim as a hitchhiker, picked up by a sultry looking woman in a luxury car. She starts to put the moves on him & the last scene is of the car going off a cliff...one of those odd short films featured back in the 80's.

I love Tim K on SNL.  I remember one bit he did on WU about the death of Soviet Premier Yuri Andropov.  To this day “Bory Yuri in a Hurry” makes me laugh.  And I was like 6 when that happened.  I would love to see more from that era, but since that is from the non-Lorne years, I’m not holding my breath.

• Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, Lantern7 said:

Was Tim the shrimpy guy with the glasses?

Yep. I first knew him as Sweetchuck from the Police Academy movies, whom Zed(Bobcat Goldthwaite) would drive crazy.

Some classic sketches finally uploaded on the official YouTube channel today:

• LOL 2

"I've got a fever & the only Rx for it is more cowbell."  That has got to be one of the funniest sketches. I read somewhere that Will had purposely found a way-too-small sweater so that it would start riding up his not so small stomach as he pranced around, playing the cow bell.

It was so great to see Dana! He doesn't seem to do much anymore. I hope he's well. He looked good.

Wayne was always my favorite Mike Myers character by far. Otherwise he's a little much for me.

• Love 1

Tina has got some serious Helen Mirren syndrome going on: she just gets more and more gorgeous with age.

Seeing Mike and Dana introduce Bohemian Rhapsody was really cool, though I will die on the hill that the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene in Wayne's World is better and will have greater staying power than the cobbled-together, undirected turd that is Bohemian Rhapsody the (bafflingly!) Oscar-award winning film.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

Seeing Mike and Dana introduce Bohemian Rhapsody was really cool, though I will die on the hill that the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene in Wayne's World is better and will have greater staying power than the cobbled-together, undirected turd that is Bohemian Rhapsody the (bafflingly!) Oscar-award winning film.

Don't get me started, but I completely agree 100 %.  

• Love 3

Seeing that reminds me again that Colin Jost would have been better off not being on WU and just being known as one of the writers. He's much more at home. 

I always enjoy the different videos where John points out the cool response Lobster Diner got. My favorite was when he mentions this to Seth and Seth was pretty much like - yep, no regrets. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2019 at 12:48 PM, helenamonster said:

Tina has got some serious Helen Mirren syndrome going on: she just gets more and more gorgeous with age.

Wayne's World as a whole deserves more credit than it gets. Bohemian Rhapsody isn't one of those films that ever was seen as a masterpiece - it did as well as it did because of the Queen music and probably because of Rami Malek's sheer charisma (I wouldn't know as I haven't watched anything by Bryan Singer since, like...X2), so I think it will always be somewhat popular for those reasons. 

For the most part, I think Mike Myers' film work has severely dated, but I'm always going to love the Wayne's World and Coffee Talk sketches. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
(edited)

SNL Classic tonight: Ryan Reynolds/Lady Gaga. Is that the one where Andy Samberg sings about throwing stuff to the ground?

ETA: Aw, Ryan mentioned looking forward to working on Green Lantern. Personally, I thought that movie was more of a disappointment than bad.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Aw, Ryan mentioned looking forward to working on Green Lantern. Personally, I thought that movie was more of a disappointment than bad.

I liked the meta moment at the end of Deadpool 2

• Love 2
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

SNL Classic tonight: Ryan Reynolds/Lady Gaga. Is that the one where Andy Samberg sings about throwing stuff to the ground?

At least he was not only able to laugh about it later, but find any way to mock it since then.  Hell, he even makes a crack about it in the new Detective Pikachu trailer. 

And we get the reminder that he was married to Scarlett Johansson for a few years. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Ryan is married to Blake Lively now, so Green Lantern ended up not being a total L for him. It took me a minute or so into the Scarlett Johansson cameo to remember that she was his wife at the time.

Lady Gaga has made several appearances on the show, but I think this episode was selected this week because it offers up so many points of comparison: Gaga then vs. now, real vs. reel life, and even her little sketch with Andy Samberg where they wore the bubble leotards and were going to kiss but couldn't get close enough had...echoes.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Dejana said:

Lady Gaga has made several appearances on the show, but I think this episode was selected this week because it offers up so many points of comparison: Gaga then vs. now, real vs. reel life, and even her little sketch with Andy Samberg where they wore the bubble leotards and were going to kiss but couldn't get close enough had...echoes.

I had not seen this one before and I've never seen Ryan Reynolds in anything.  I was surprised by how good much of the material was and how both Reynolds and Gaga committed to it.  The closing "bubble outfit" sketch was golden.  

• Love 1
On 3/2/2019 at 11:33 PM, Dejana said:

I think this episode was selected this week because it offers up so many points of comparison: Gaga then vs. now, real vs. reel life, and even her little sketch with Andy Samberg where they wore the bubble leotards and were going to kiss but couldn't get close enough had...echoes.

Another interesting thing tying this episode to the current episode this week was that Family Feud sketch, which was a nice bit of darkness written by John Mulaney, Marika Sawyer, and Simon Rich. The three of them frequently wrote together while at the show,  and Sawyer and Rich returned this week to work with Mulaney on the "Toilet Death Ejector" piece, which was an idea they had that they never got to air while they all worked at the show. 

• Love 1