Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E16: Ephemera

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

wow, its been a while since they've used this format for telling an old timey story.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if I could have taken Nick seriously with that pencil thin mustache.  I really could have done without the reference to Sr. DiNozzo.  We have to (grudgingly) accept that the mismatch of the century of Ziva and Tony are together (despite everything) and suddenly Senior is a model grandfather writing to the NCIS team and Tony doesn't?  Ugh.  Hopefully that will be the only way we continue to hear from him.

The case was interesting enough even if I guessed the brother was the killer early on.  I felt so bad for that poor dog left all alone while his owner took the big sleep.  At least he arranged to have his boss take care of his dog.

• Love 4

Really enjoyable episode. Great work.

2 hours ago, Linderhill said:

The case was interesting enough even if I guessed the brother was the killer early on.

That was inevitable. He's a bad guy in every role he plays. One of Jack Bauer's biggest nemesis.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I really thought the  thank yous should have come from Tony not his dad. Has Weatherly been so forced to distance himself from this show for "reasons"... sad

Even if that was the case, Weatherly wasn't going to appear on screen (Robert Wagner didn't), so Jimmy could have just said "Tony sent these..."  Very strange.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, transitfan said:

Even if that was the case, Weatherly wasn't going to appear on screen (Robert Wagner didn't), so Jimmy could have just said "Tony sent these..."  Very strange.

I thought so too.

I did enjoy the episode, something a little different. I did not get teary-eyed - you got teary-eyed.

I'm glad Annie's father came around, even though it was too late - it made Annie happy just before she died.

Not too many suspects to choose from - the brother may as well have had an arrow pointing at him.

21 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I could have taken Nick seriously with that pencil thin mustache

As long as he didn't talk or dress like Fez:)

2 hours ago, Tony Dickson said:

Excellent episode, but I wish they had ponied up a few bucks for the rights to the actual Toucan song

Off topic, but you've reminded me of that Elton John song Phoebe likes on Friends - the one with the guy from Who's the Boss - "hold me close young Tony Danza"   🤣

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I felt so bad for that poor dog left all alone while his owner took the big sleep.  At least he arranged to have his boss take care of his dog.

Yea, that ruined the entire episode for me. Animals don't understand why their hoomans don't come back. I get why he committed suicide but that poor doggie.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, transitfan said:

Regarding the thank you coming from Senior, Tony doesn't have the best of memories from his childhood.  He was always looking for family or love and I think Senior felt guilty for that.  That might be why he is grateful to NCIS for making his son happy by reuniting him with Ziva.  Tony finally has his family, and so does Senior.

• Love 2

Flashback to 70s Ellie talking to her dad. Me: "I bet a million dollars she's talking to Gibbs". Camera turns. Yep.

I also guffawed at McGee as the brother.

I had a temporary out-of-body moment during all the mentions of senior and Ziva so that bit is now irrelevant to me.

All in all, a good episode. The flashbacks episodes tend to be strong.

• Love 3

I really liked the way Ellie’s hair looked in the flashback. I wish my hair could do that.

The flashbacks were nice and this episode flew by even though it was obvious who the killer was. It’s too bad that the two lovebirds didn’t get their happy ending and Annie died so young.

Continuing to love how competent they are making Kasie without the annoying habits that Abby had. And it’s always nice to see Ducky.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 8

I'm a historian and I love dealing with ephemera so I loved this episode. That said they can depress the hell out of you and break your heart - so approach any old cachet of letters with caution.

On a lighter note: Palmer's suit in the opening scene was quite snazzy!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, twoods said:

Continuing to love how competent they are making Kasie without the annoying habits that Abby had. 

I keep thinking either the forensics of the cases must be getting easier or maybe Abby wasn't as brilliant as they made her out to be. Kasie never seems to have any trouble figuring out how to get things done, even without Abby's training and years of experience.

7 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I keep thinking either the forensics of the cases must be getting easier or maybe Abby wasn't as brilliant as they made her out to be. Kasie never seems to have any trouble figuring out how to get things done, even without Abby's training and years of experience.

Abby thrived on being dramatic - that takes up time:)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Or the other option...as one final F-U to Pauley, they made it so that her character's replacement, with basically no training whatsoever, can do everything that Abby could do.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Palmer is becoming quite dishy and less nerdy.

I loved the flashbacks and I remember that damn song as well!  We were crazy for mushy love songs in the early '70s!!

I have a subscription to SiriusXM and I always have 70s on 7 on in the car, because that was the best decade ever for music 🙂  On the weekends, they rebroadcast an American Top 40 (with Casey Kasem) from the 70s.  This past weekend was the show from the week ending February 12, 1972.  Yep, Precious and Few was on the chart that week at #4.  Weird hearing it on the AT40 broadcast and again a few days later on NCIS!

Edited by transitfan
  • Love 5

I really liked the little touch at the very end, where they did a close-up of the photo in the exhibit, that was him and Annie dancing from way back on the night they met...that explained why he spent so much time in that exhibit (coincidentally, I guess I'm chopping onions and also having my allergies act up right now!).

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Kasie was a grad student assistant, specifically tasked with keeping Ducky on track to finish his book.  I believe she was hired for that job because she had a broad background in criminalistics and forensic science so she could help intelligently with the book, and was brilliant at keeping Ducky on task.  I'll give you that she didn't have years and years of experience before getting her own lab at NCIS, but she's no rank amateur lacking experience or knowledge.  

The Kasie character has grown in me.  I like that she's really taking ownership of her lab and forging her own relationship with The Gibbs.

• Love 6
On 2/22/2020 at 5:21 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Kasie was a grad student assistant, specifically tasked with keeping Ducky on track to finish his book.  I believe she was hired for that job because she had a broad background in criminalistics and forensic science so she could help intelligently with the book, and was brilliant at keeping Ducky on task.  I'll give you that she didn't have years and years of experience before getting her own lab at NCIS, but she's no rank amateur lacking experience or knowledge.  

The Kasie character has grown in me.  I like that she's really taking ownership of her lab and forging her own relationship with The Gibbs.

I agree on Kasie, but for me the biggest development was that lunatic on crack act she was putting on in her first couple episodes... I stopped watching the show because of her. Came back recently and noticed she had completely knocked it off, like she was on meds or something. I couldn’t stand her on screen before; now she does her job and isn’t any sort of problem.

Im also thinking that Abbey was supposed to be a bit of a legend in her day, but like most legends, the field and the kids in it “catch up” and a lot of those who replace you do things a bit easier. It’s normal evolution, whether it’s a job, an athlete or whatever. Thing aren’t quite so revolutionary as they were in Abbeys day.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, basiltherat said:

Palmer is becoming quite dishy and less nerdy.

Palmer continues to be the weakest, most difficult to watch aspect of the show. He’s just horrible.

Although now that Jack just married her girlfriend in real life, it’s very difficult to buy into the Jack ‘n Gibbs rumors and innuendo. Just stop.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, SG11 said:

Although now that Jack just married her girlfriend in real life, it’s very difficult to buy into the Jack ‘n Gibbs rumors and innuendo. Just stop.

The character is just annoying in general.

• Love 1
On 3/13/2020 at 6:49 PM, SG11 said:

Palmer continues to be the weakest, most difficult to watch aspect of the show. He’s just horrible.

When he goes to the crime scene or works in the lab, he's more serious and likable than he used to be. When he interacts with the others outside of the lab, he is goofier and tries to be more to everyone than he is, compared to the past. That's how he strikes me, anyway.

• Love 2
On 3/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, SG11 said:

I agree on Kasie, but for me the biggest development was that lunatic on crack act she was putting on in her first couple episodes... I stopped watching the show because of her. Came back recently and noticed she had completely knocked it off, like she was on meds or something. I couldn’t stand her on screen before; now she does her job and isn’t any sort of problem.

Im also thinking that Abbey was supposed to be a bit of a legend in her day, but like most legends, the field and the kids in it “catch up” and a lot of those who replace you do things a bit easier. It’s normal evolution, whether it’s a job, an athlete or whatever. Thing aren’t quite so revolutionary as they were in Abbeys day.

I really loved Kasie when she was so completely unimpressed by the return of Ziva.

• Love 4
On 3/15/2020 at 1:07 PM, ForReal said:

When he goes to the crime scene or works in the lab, he's more serious and likable than he used to be. When he interacts with the others outside of the lab, he is goofier and tries to be more to everyone than he is, compared to the past. That's how he strikes me, anyway.

I find him hit or miss when he’s working. Like you say, sometimes he’s serious and is almost... professional. But then there’s still the times he tries so hard to fit in with the cool kids that he’s just creepy. And yes, when he’s interacting outside of the work he is actually worse than ever. His over the top out of touch nerdy desperation makes his scenes unwatchable.

• Love 1