Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Reunion Part 1

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 2/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, Callaphera said:

That makes me extremely happy. All the women in Thailand, saved from that. 

The fact that Ashton could not close the deal DESPITE being in Thailand - the land of 'whoo hoo' for anyone perseverating on sex - proves that his behaviour and overall personality is unattractive, to all people, in all languages and countries.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, Diane Mars said:

WHO is Jasmine ?!? Thanks !

I am sorry, but Simone NEEDS to change her name to Jasmine. I have no idea why, but when I look at her and when she speaks, she's "Jasmine" to me. Every so often this happens with me when I meet people. I have a brand new granddaughter named Keyanna, but NO... Nana calls her Mikayla. (And I am not even enamoured with the name Mikayla). Maybe it's some passive aggressive karma left over from my more exciting lifetimes?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 12:22 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Simone is by far the most attractive woman on the boat. I do agree that Kate didn’t dislike her because of the fact that she is younger, fresher and much more attractive. There is something else going on.

And that's why it is so good that we all have different tastes as I would not put Simone in the lead (for looks) but I did love her accent the best, until she speed-spoke on the reunion.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:21 AM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Whatever reasons Kate had for not warming up to Simone, I highly doubt it had anything to do with looks... . 

You know, I have never seen Kate appear as though she's jealous of anyone. Hannah, on the other hand... yeesh! But Kate is extremely confident within herself, and she's seen a lot in her time on charters. I find there's nothing much that fazes her, and seeing her upset by the Ashton "everyone hates you" was surprising.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 7

I don't think of Kate as a bully, ever. Just frustrated and exasperated sometimes with a junior stew who isn't able (or willing) to carry her part of an extremely heavy workload that never lets up. (For example: re Caroline B.  Kate and Josiah completely covered all of Caroline's duties for 2-3 charters due to Caroline's never-ending health issues.  Kate was kind and solitious and even moved Caroline to a guest cabin so she could rest, and asked Capt Lee to get medical attention for Caroline several times, but finally-- Kate just had had enough when Caroline quit, but refused to get out of her bunk and leave the boat.  Kate probably shouldn't have blasted music outside Caroline's cabin, BUT she literally had run out of patience and I can't really blame her. There clearly should be at least 1 more person on the interior team, especially for a charter with many guests. Kate did not "bully" Caroline.  The definition of bullying is "repeated, targeted and intentionally hurtful behavior." Blasting the music was unkind but it was NOT bullying.)

Isn't there a theme here of junior stews disliking and complaining about their Chief Stew, saying they felt picked on?  We heard the same complaints about Adriene and Hannah, and I'm already seeing clues that all will not be smooth sailing for Janna and her stews on the sailing yacht. Janna started off by directly telling them that she doesn't intend to be their friend, that getting the work done is her #1 focus and she has high standards.  SO. ..why does everyone heap criticism on Kate when she has the same goals?  Simone whined at the reunion that she was stuck doing laundry AND even turn downs! (Oh, the inhumanity of it all!)  Kate clearly was exasperated and replied, "Because it has to be done!"   Simone doesn't understand the big picture of how all the puzzle pieces of nonstop work tasks fit together, and that a Chief Stew is the person who has to juggle 10 things at once on limited sleep to ensure the tasks get done.  Listening to a complaining junior stew who doesn't get it has to be so annoying, and then when you add in the disrespect she got from the brus, I honestly don't see hoe Kate held together as well as she did.  But Kate is a professional.

Simone seems to think she "deserved  opportunities."  No, Simone, Kate's job is not to make you happy or have "opportunities" that you seem to think you are entitled to.  Kate's job is to keep the guests happy and the yacht clean. I shudder to even imagine the amount of laundry...bathroom towels, beach towels, linens, crew clothing and uniforms and on and on plus washing dishes and glasswear for never ending drinks, and waiting on guests hand and foot.  Even writing this makes me tired!  Signing up to work on a charter yacht is not for the faint of heart and takes a lot of stamina. As Capt Lee said, it's not a pleasure crpuise.  But they are well paid for the hard work and should just take a deep breath.  Exhausting, but only for 6 weeks.  Grow up, Simone!  I looked online and there are numerous classes and training courses tailored specifically for yachting stewards. So show some of the initiative you claim to have, and go get some training without expecting someone else to do it for you.

On a totally separate note, I was interested in seeing how the Sailing Yacht crew went out to celebrate the conclusion of their 1st charter.  Capt Glenn joined them for dinner on shore, looked like everyone had a good time without getting passed out drunk, and they returned to the boat.  Yes they kept up some partying in the onboard hot tub but nothing looked like it was going to be as messy (or scary) as the BD crew and Ashton's brus.  It was a welcome difference.  I wish Capt Lee could assign a curfew or something if he didn't want to go with his crew.  Partying out in clubs till 3:00 am and then being expected to work as usual the next morning obviously doesn't work.

Oh yeah, one final thought about Ashton criticizing Kate's "inability" to manage her team:  how come no one has brought up that Ashton never dealt with Tanner's frequently  sleeping in and failure to get to work on time, when Rhylee showed up like clockwork?

Edited by 1Seattlekitten
Typo
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, Chalby said:

I am annoyed with myself for deleting the episodes, but I have to ask, what did Rhylee do that didn't prove she was a good crew mate, or that her behaviour was better? I just don't remember any interaction that wasn't understandable, but my memory is crap. So, I'd love to be reminded.

Chandler was a dick to her pretty much from the get. Rhylee of course pushed back in the way we know she does but not without a few attempts at just trying to do her job. Problem comes about when she's being spoken to in a dismissive or disrespectful way which I've always cut her slack for because I don't subscribe to this philosophy that being a subordinate means that it's mandatory to accept disrespectful and abusive treatment. I understand the culture in the workplace for many, many, many years dictates the whole "pay your dues", "shut up and take it" mentality but it's time that changes because basically it's a stupid and ridiculous. Just because that's the way it's been doesn't mean that that's the way it should stay.

That set the stage for her behavior with Ross and Ashton and vice versa. I understand that Rhylee is abrasive but I guess my thing is that this detail about Rhylee is always used as an excuse for her abuse. There seems to be this theme with the crew that it's okay to be dismissive and rude to Rhylee cause she "deserves it". I don't think WHY she deserves it is thoroughly explored, just that she "gets on the nerves, is loud, abrasive" so therefore it's justifiable to be abusive to her. The biggest problem truly stems from the fact that the guys don't want to be required to address Rhylee is a calm and respectful tone. They've removed her right to demand courteous and respectful interactions from them. There would be no problems if the men would watch their tone when speaking to her or discussing work related tasks but for some reason this expectation is scoffed at like it's some outrageously, rude condition that shouldn't be imposed on them. The whole season is about, "I don't want to have to watch my tone or my attitude when I talk to Rhylee. I want to be able to she my annoyance with her, express exasperated body language like a child and be dismissive when the mood strikes without her checking me or trying to put me in my place." The men wanted to be ALLOWED to conduct themselves without much restraint and  without having to deal with the consequences of behaving like entitled, inconsiderate assholes.

Look, if I have a coworker that is, let's say, sensitive and I realize they don't jive in a way that makes it easy to interact with them you know what I would do? I would watch how I interact with them. Keep it simple and stick with basic courtesies and not push the envelope. Why? Because I'm grown and I can respect someone else's boundaries and not make it about only me and the fact that I want to be able to joke around, make slick jokes and basically just do me and do what I want while disregarding the fact that it won't sit well with my coworker seems to be acceptable to some. What's funny is Rhylee really isn't a kill joy either. She seems like a fun, outgoing, good natured person so it really isn't about walking on eggshells it's about them not being happy that the bruhs can't sneak diss her while she's standing right there and get away with it. Most people will let the banter ride and suck up the uncomfortableness but not our Rhylee. That bitch will put you in your place the minute she catches whiff of them trying to play her while she's standing right there and I have been HERE for it the whole season and last. That's what causes most of the problems and then that tension ends up carrying over into work situations but even then Rhylee usually tackles her work shift focused and ready to work. It isn't until the prodding starts from one or the other that the tension starts to build.  

Last season set the stage a bit and although Ross came close to finding a balance with Rhylee and Ashton didn't have too many negative interactions with Rhylee either there still was tension and I think it stemmed mainly from the fact that Rhylee felt insecure about how she was perceived as a worker by the men as well as the bad start with Chandler. I also believe that Ross and Ashton had the same undermining attitude towards Rhylee which caused the tension and off course caused Rhylee to push back.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 9
On 2/11/2020 at 9:43 AM, Misslindsey said:

I admit I had to roll my eyes when Captain Lee was getting so mad at Kevin for telling Brian about the Courtney/Kate conversation. Really? Has Captain Lee seen the show they all do the run and tell that. It is like a Real Housewives show in that regard.

I agree. I wanted someone to ask him if he was as enraged by Kate running to Rhylee and reporting the conversation Ashton had with Lee, which in my opinion was a lot worse than what Kevin did.

Edited by Teri313
Typo
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

I wanted someone to ask him if he was as enraged by Kate running to Rhylee and reporting the conversation Ashton had with Lee, which in my opinion was a lot worse than what Kevin did.

I totally expected Ashton or Andy to bring that up.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I agree. I wanted someone to ask him if he was as enraged by Kate running to Rhylee and reporting the conversation Ashton had with Lee, which in my opinion was a lot worse than what Kevin did.

But that was official business. Ashton was literally trying to get Rhylee fired from her job and was talking to THEE boss of the boat about her. Kevin was misrepresenting a conversation Courtney had with Kate and he went as far as to say that Courtney was going around spreading it about the boat when that wasn't true either. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

Ashton was literally trying to get Rhylee fired from her job and was talking to THEE boss of the boat about her. Kevin was misrepresenting a conversation Courtney had with Kate and he went as far as to say that Courtney was going around spreading it about the boat when that wasn't true either. 

Absolutely.  I was about to write the very same thing, but I wanted to take the time to go back to the episode to check Kevin's actual words.

My read on things has a lot to do with what was actually done (or said) and what the speaker's motivations seemed to be (to me).  In the case of Kate relaying the wheelhouse talk where Ashton tried to shift the blame for the failed fishing excursion completely onto Rhylee, I felt like Kate told Rhylee because she thought she (Rhylee) needed to know, in order to protect herself against Ashton.  There may possibly have been an element of "Hey, I stuck up for you (so, please, be my ally because I don't seem to have any friends on this boat!)" underlying it, but I do think Kate's main purpose was to warn Rhylee about things Ashton might be saying behind her back.  And what she relayed to Rhylee was, in fact, the conversation that transpired in the wheelhouse.

OTOH, Kevin overheard Courtney tell Kate exactly what Brian had texted: that he first asked what she was thinking about their relationship long-term, and that when she replied "What do you think?", Brian responded, "We're just having fun, right?"  Kevin even reacted to those words with, "Awkward!"  But that was fundamentally NOT how he presented the situation to Brian.  He started with "What's going on with you and Court?", and when Brian purported not to know what he meant, Kevin headed straight into "She's going around like f---ing saying s--t now.  Like you messaged her and said, 'Hey, blah-blah-blah...'  I'm just letting you know.  She f---ing came here and straightaway told Kate.  And now they're just like, talking to each other."  

At the reunion, Kevin tried to play this off as though he only told Brian because he (Kevin) wanted the two love-birds to work out their problems.  I call BS on that.  I think Kevin concocted that explanation after he saw how poorly that chat reflected on him when it aired.  And, I suspect that it was Kevin's attempt to put this spin on his words that riled Capt. Lee so much. 

In real time, when Kevin first started talking to Brian, he may initially have just meant to get Brian's side of things, but then he immediately devolved into bru talk, presenting Courtney and Kate as the "bad bitches" and himself as just one bud looking out for a fellow bud.  If his purpose had actually been to make sure Courtney and Brian talked to each other and worked it out, he could have said, "Hey, I don't know if this is what you meant, but Courtney thinks you broke up with her by text and she seems pretty upset."  But that wasn't what he presented to Brian at all.  He was totally being shit-stirrer.

Edited by mcjen
typos and clarity
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Just because that's the way it's been doesn't mean that that's the way it should stay.

She seems like a fun, outgoing, good natured person so it really isn't about walking on eggshells it's about them not being happy that the bruhs can't sneak diss her while she's standing right there and get away with it. Most people will let the banter ride and suck up the uncomfortableness but not our Rhylee.

Fabulous post! I agree with your observations and I am grateful I am not alone in my uncertainty as to what bad behaviour she's pushed on to the others. Bottom line, Rhylee is quite forthcoming in her communications, similar to the guys. If they were faced with the treatment that she faced, they would not 'just take it'. They would be calling each other out for the rude approach and unnecessary reprimands. However, none of these guys want to see a confident woman respond to their disses by holding her own with great comebacks> It's okay for them to respond this way, just not Rhylee. It's their loss that they couldn't welcome her into the bru club, because Rhylee is at ease with men or women, so long as they carry their weight and treat her like she actually can think for herself. (I also think it bothered Ashton that all the guests like Rhylee and if he could say something that would have her second guess her own abilities, then he will definitely say it.)

• Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, scrb said:

Lee has no say in casting decisions.

He does have a say in casting because he needs to ensure at least 80% of the crew can perform all the work. Charters are Captain Lee's livelihood, reputation, and they're good money, whether he has a show or not.

• Love 1

The more I consider Tanner's idiotic response re: people not knowing his mom or the type of relationship they have is ridiculous because that's all he talked about. And what kind of mother jumps on instagram to complain about how her son was treated, when she watched him treat women like disposable tissues? We're not talking about a 16 year-old wide-eyed innocent here. She has created a monster, who is unable to see himself as he truly is...  good job, mom.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Chalby said:

He does have a say in casting

No, Lee does not select the crew. That is done by the production company. However, he does have the authority to fire a crew member during the season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, Crazydoxielady said:

I wonder if Kate announces she’s leaving in the second reunion episode. I’ll only forgive her if she slides over to RHONY and takes Down  Ramona & sleeps in Dorindas shark room without complaining. 

Part 1 of the reunion was mostly boring, part 2 will likely be a bit better, however, I’m at the stage where I can give up Below Deck and never look back. It’s gotten stale and formulaic like the three House Wife shows I watched and then abandoned. 

I know it’s just specuation, but Kate possibly joining the Housewives of New York cast would appear to me as Bravo scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep that lifeless shitshow going. She moved to NYC ten minutes ago. What would she even DO — she has no job/ career/ marriage/ life connected to NYC, unless she’s created a “line” I’m unaware of. “Hi! I’m a former yachtie turned Bravolebrity here to stir up shit and snark.” Haven’t watched the show for 3-4 seasons, and although I’ve enjoyed Kate on BD her addition to RHoNY certainly wouldn’t make me tune in. 

• Love 2

I am not optimistic that part 2 of the reunion will be any more satisfying than part 1.  They obviously filmed 2+ hrs in a one-time group sit down with Andy asking ineffective questions and avoiding calling out the brus on any of their misogynistic and threatening behavior.  Instead he pushed hard on Kate and spent far too long on Simone's ridiculous and entitled whining that she didn't get the "opportunities" she felt she deserved.  He gave a pass to the guys.  Even if he weakly brings up Ashton's drunken assault on Kate in the van or Kevin's kicking sand in her eye, it's pretty evident that Andy's loyalties are with the brus.  Hard to believe Andy would suddenly change his direction halfway thru the interview.

Something that has really bothered me is why everyone calls what Ashton did to Kate as a "kiss"?  He forceably grabs her face and violently thrusts his disgusting tongue into her throat. Yuck.  To me that's pure assault.  To me a "kiss" is a mutual expression and act of of love and/attraction between two people.  Ashton assaulted Kate.  That was no kiss.

I went back and watched a few after show interviews that Capt Lee and Kate did while the season was being broadcast, and both said they would likely return for another season, Kate even mentioning that living in NYC is expensive.  So even tho there are FB rumors out there that she's not in season 8, I'm trying to stay hopeful.  If they brought back Eddie as Boswan that seems a positive sign that 51 Minds realizes they totally messed up with season 7's cast and need to do some healing moves to calm down fans.  It would be great if they dangled a huge pay bump to Kate to get her to return for at least 1 more season, acknowledging she was mistreated and deserves a happy ending (if that's what it is to be.) If they failed to bring her back I will wash my hands of BRAVO permanently.  For 6 weeks of work and a big pay bump and promise of an improved crew, I am sure that Kate would be on board. 

Edited by 1Seattlekitten
Missing word
  • Love 4

I just came across this on a Twitter account called Quite Interesting Facts:

Saverland v. Newton (1837) is a British court case in which a man who attempted to kiss a woman without consent had half his nose bitten off. The judge ruled that "when a man kisses a woman against her will, she is fully entitled to bite his nose off, if she so pleases." . . .

"The Chairman told the prosecutor he was sorry for the loss of his nose, but if he would play with cats, he must expect to get scratched."

Making note to self . . .

Watch your noses, broses.  (Or should that be "He who brus-es loses"? "Watch out for your smellers, fellers"?)

I could go on, but that would be cruel.  I may be enjoying British justice too much.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Kate’s time has done. She is the monster of this franchise. Just like Vicki Gunvaldson, LVP, Bethenny, Nene and Therea Giudice. Most of them have been forced out or will be forced out of their shows soon. Their act gets stale and you can only go to the well so many times. It is obvious that Kate is over it. Time for her to move on.

• Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Chalby said:

He does have a say in casting because he needs to ensure at least 80% of the crew can perform all the work. Charters are Captain Lee's livelihood, reputation, and they're good money, whether he has a show or not.

But charters are not really his livelihood anymore apparently.  When asked (rudely) by Ashton when his last charter was Lee said it was a year ago and not a full season.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

But charters are not really his livelihood anymore apparently.  When asked (rudely) by Ashton when his last charter was Lee said it was a year ago and not a full season.  

I think the reason Lee has not been doing many charters lately is because his son died.  He may be sticking close to home to be with his wife and family.  Asshit knows this and still could not help himself from cruelly challenging Lee on this issue.   

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 4

Captains are required to log a certain number of hours actively captaining a boat to maintain their credentials and licenses.  Capt Lee obviously maintains his license current.  There is no requirement for a captain to work year round, as insinuated rudely by that total jerk Ashton. As long as Lee is licensed he is free to decide how he spends his time and earns income.  None of jealous self-righteous Ashton's business.  I hope that any boat owner considering Ashton does an internet search on him and reads what a total trouble maker he is and doesn't hire him.  Ashton has ruined his marine career beyond Below Deck. And he has only himself and his drunken rages to blame.  It's all out there on the internet available for anyone to see.

Edited by 1Seattlekitten
Typo
  • Love 6
On 2/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

That's what I thought I had said. He did a charter but there are farther apart as he is more retired and/or doing Bravo. I laughed at Ashton trying to call out him and Kate. Just their experience and ages alone, show they have nothing to prove.

• Love 1

Replying to another dead topic, but I can’t help it. I watched the reunion on Peacock, and had the great “pleasure” of tuning in this morning just in time to see Ashton go after Kate in the van, and later episodes featuring Ashton and his dick “bru crew” Kevin and Tanner. 🤮 This has got to be one of the most disturbing seasons of any Bravo series, especially in light of how the subject of misogyny in society has exploded since 2020. It is just disgusting to watch.

My question, which I’ve always wondered: How in the hell did Lee not know what was going on? I know nobody went directly to him, but I cannot believe that he didn’t pick up on the tension (or hear the fights) until the very end. Was it ever established where Kate went when she left the boat? Production felt no need to alert Lee to even that? 

I NEVER see any of these “brus” again. It was clear Ashton was “sorry, not sorry” at the reunion for his behavior (his apologies felt forced to me), and fucking Kevin just doubled down. Tanner — he can just go and take his equally stupid Colin Macy-O’Toole wannabe mommy with him, too.

The show is now at the penis cake episodes, which I always saw as just desserts (no pun intended) for Kevin. His humiliation was WELL deserved.

• Applause 1