Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Employee App

Aulty

Cloud 9 employees experience unforeseen problems with the new Zephra app. Dina's texts lead to animosity, Glenn struggles to deal with a teen craze, and Jonah attempts to prank Garrett to teach him a lesson.

Original Air Date: 02/20/2020

Amy's slide into incompetence continues: her password is 0000 and she can't have a basic straightforward conversation with Dina about sending unnecessary texts.

Jonah has valid concerns about surveillance and tech monitoring, so naturally,  he subjects Garrett to obvious pranks to prove his point like he's in a 90s sitcom. I thought Garrett was on to him, but apparently not?

Yet . . .I love that Sandra keep saying yes to things. She finally got to be in on a prank. Between that and her wedding, she's having a good year.

• Love 4

Awww the vet is really cute, I hope they give Dina at least a few happy episodes with him before the inevitable shift back to Garrett.

6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

They had more chemistry in a 3 minute scene than Amy and Jonah have in 2 seasons.

Sad, but true. I know its not supposed to be the focus of the show, but it would be nice to get more than a glimpse of their relationship once in a while.

Enjoyed the comment about the graffiti 'Greta is god' and Amy being unsure whether it meant Gerwig or Thunberg.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 10

You can notice that this episode is back to norm quality-wise. It was directed by the original creator of the show (Justin Spitzer) who has left the show since. Can we make him come back full time.

• Love 8

Glen-with-one-N! No robot battle with the bomb squad’s bot, though. I really think they missed the boat with not having Glen torment Glenn this season or having Glenn do petty acts of sabotage against Glen. Sigh.

I thought this episode was more reflective of early seasons! I noticed Brett was  featured in a few backgrounds.

And I really thought Sandra had turned double-agent to help Garrett get Jonah, but Glen’s random face-off was a good end note.

Dina ❤️ Vet. Spaying? Save the sexy talk for the first date, D!

• Love 6

The actor who played Ken, the security guard (Baron Vaughn) also plays Bud on Grace and Frankie. It's strange that he has to take such a small role on a network sitcom when he's a supporting player on a popular streaming show. He has apparently appeared as Ken once before in 2017, according to IMDB. Just, weird. I guess actors gotta work.

The actor who played the vet, Rory Scovel, was in Amy Schumer's movie "I Feel Pretty" but I mostly recognize him as Corey from Wrecked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I did love the Dina/vet scenes, especially all the little head nods and side glances Dina & Amy were giving each other.  I was so hoping the vet would have, somehow, had all of Dina's birds.  I really want Dina to get her birds back, and am a bit sad that hasn't been written into an episode.

• Love 11

I was so hoping the vet would have, somehow, had all of Dina's birds. 

That occurred to me as well. It still might happen. Maybe she'll visit his home and find some, if not all, of her birds there.

(It's really preposterous that she lost all of them anyway. A lot of the tame ones wouldn't have gone very far.)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:
10 hours ago, Artsda said:

The break room tracking was funny, these guys really need to start realizing Jonah is right.

He likely is right about a lot of it, but he is so insufferably smug about pretty much everything that I desperately want him to be wrong.

Don't worry, Jonah is right, he probably didn't guess the half of it. Who knows what was in the end-user license agreement (EULA) when each employee just automatically mindlessly installed the app. I would love to have Jonah start reading the terms and conditions, Each sentence from the EULA read at the beginning of the episode could probably be the catalyst for the the show's events. It could be a scathing commentary on the rights we give away without even thinking twice about it.

• Love 4

I don’t care if Jonah is “right,” he was a dick about it.  He even corrected Sandra when she called it a prank, saying no, he was gaslighting Garrett.  Who cares if everyone wants to download an app?  Why is it up to Jonah to be the app police?  Garrett told him he didn’t care, so leave it.  It’s not up to you to teach everyone a lesson, especially when you have to fabricate events to prove your point.  I can’t stand Jonah, and this is a prime example of why.  

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I don’t care if Jonah is “right,” he was a dick about it.  He even corrected Sandra when she called it a prank, saying no, he was gaslighting Garrett.  Who cares if everyone wants to download an app?  Why is it up to Jonah to be the app police?  Garrett told him he didn’t care, so leave it.  It’s not up to you to teach everyone a lesson, especially when you have to fabricate events to prove your point.  I can’t stand Jonah, and this is a prime example of why.  

This is what I actually like about the way they write Jonah's character.  He's a smart guy working around a bunch of people who really aren't all that bright (some exceptions).  And he gets really frustrated when they aren't being smart, like him, which leads him to do not-smart things, so he's just like them in the end.  And I thought the run of "it's not a prank" was pretty funny.

I really thought Sandra was a double agent on this, working with Garrett, and that the cop at the end would end up being a set up to teach Jonah to mind his own business.  That would have been funnier. 

• Love 7

This is what I actually like about the way they write Jonah's character.  He's a smart guy working around a bunch of people who really aren't all that bright (some exceptions).  And he gets really frustrated when they aren't being smart, like him, which leads him to do not-smart things, so he's just like them in the end.  And I thought the run of "it's not a prank" was pretty funny.

Agreed. I don't find him smug in the least. He's the lone voice of reason in an insane asylum, and his frustration is mined for laughs. Cheyenne, Sandra, Mateo, Marcus, Justine and the rest of them are funny and (to varying degrees) likable, but boy are they dumb as dirt. Sitting outside in the freezing cold just because they can't conceive of taking a break without their phones?

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. I don't find him smug in the least. He's the lone voice of reason in an insane asylum, and his frustration is mined for laughs. Cheyenne, Sandra, Mateo, Marcus, Justine and the rest of them are funny and (to varying degrees) likable, but boy are they dumb as dirt. Sitting outside in the freezing cold just because they can't conceive of taking a break without their phones?

Or deleting the app. lol  

Jonah said something about them tracking their locations and know when they come and go when the app was first announced. They all saw nothing wrong with it,  then they're taking breaks in the bathroom? Just delete the app and it's permissions. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The real problem wasn't them not having their phones, it was them actually being timed for their breaks. Sure, we've all gone over a few minutes here or there if we had timed breaks, but it sounded like their 15 minute breaks were well more than 15 minutes, therefor actually stolen time. 

• Love 3

I'm very disappointed to see all this discussion of the app plot, the vet etc. while the true comedic highlight of the episode is being ignored - the kid trapped in the razor case!

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

I already love Dina and the bird loving vet end up living happily ever after with a veritable atrium of birds! Amy trying to get him and Dina was really cute, and Dina really needs this win. They had tons of chemistry in just a few seconds, I was pretty impressed! 

Considering all of the mean pranks that Garret gets up to, seeing him on the receiving end, especially as Jonah keeps saying that isnt a prank, but a comeuppance, was a ton of fun for me. 

• Love 5
On 2/22/2020 at 9:28 AM, chaifan said:

And this is exactly why I do not like Jonah.  If he is that bright and smart then move on and don’t work with the “less than,” people.  He lords his “smarts” over everyone when he should just move on and get a better job.  I cannot stand know it alls,  especially when they are around others that maybe aren’t up to their level of intelligence.  Sometimes people working these jobs really are working as best they can.   But he is sleeping with the boss so...he probably should chill a bit.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And this is exactly why I do not like Jonah.  If he is that bright and smart then move on and don’t work with the “less than,” people.  He lords his “smarts” over everyone when he should just move on and get a better job. 

I'll differ in opinion that I don't think Jonah "lords over" everyone.  But, him even working there, especially for this long, is one of the big plot holes that I found I just have to hand wave away to enjoy the show.  There's really no reason for him to be working there with his education. 

• Love 3

My understanding is that the app isn't voluntary.  They are required to have it on their phone and to have their phone on them.  It automatically clocks them in and out of their shift, and the old system was retired.  Employee tracking is real for some companies.

I agree Dina and the vet are a good couple, and I lol'd when Sandra said yes to the phone assistant!  "I always say yes."  There were just a lot of funny blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments in this one.

• Love 5

How did I not ever notice that Garrett looks like Uncle Phil? Now I can't unsee it.

Some people genuinely don't care about their privacy or understand the importance of guarding it, but I'm with Jonah and would be super disturbed by how openly Zephra is being Big Brother. If my employer required that I download that kind of app, I'd go get a second cheap phone with a tiny amount of data just for the app. I'd use it just for clocking in and out, and while they'd still be able to track my movements and time at work, I could use my real phone for when I tweet about how bad my job sucks and am looking at job listings elsewhere.

• Love 9

It is terrible that you have to put that app on your personal phone, they can spy on everything that you do. I would tell them that I don't have a phone. Maybe they will provide you with a phone and pay for your phone service,

• Love 2
23 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

My understanding is that the app isn't voluntary.  They are required to have it on their phone and to have their phone on them.  It automatically clocks them in and out of their shift, and the old system was retired.  Employee tracking is real for some companies.

What if you have a Windows phone? I doubt their app would work on those. 😀

On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:44 PM, iMonrey said:

It's strange that he has to take such a small role on a network sitcom when he's a supporting player on a popular streaming show. He has apparently appeared as Ken once before in 2017, according to IMDB. Just, weird. I guess actors gotta work.

Supporting player on a streaming show, even a really popular one, isn't exactly George Clooney money though.  Character actors tend to work on lots of different projects because that's how they make money.

On ‎02‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:43 AM, chaifan said:

I'll differ in opinion that I don't think Jonah "lords over" everyone.  But, him even working there, especially for this long, is one of the big plot holes that I found I just have to hand wave away to enjoy the show.  There's really no reason for him to be working there with his education. 

Depends on the job market.  I have a college education, but worked retail for 11 years after graduating, and still don't work in the field for which I went to college.  I actually find that pretty realistic based on experience.

The kid in the razor case was the funniest bit.

• Love 2
On 2/28/2020 at 1:27 PM, chitowngirl said:

I have a flip TracFone. Wonder how that would work? 

This is what I was coming here to post. I don't work in retail, but I have coworkers who still have flip phones, so they would have no way to download the company app. Would Zephra provide them with a smartphone or what? 

Edited by Girl in a Cardigan
fixed name of the new parent company