Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: The Rescue

• Start Topic

I hope we will see more of Nick's family, both the son and the ex-wife were very entertaining to watch.

The Frankie storyline reminded me of the time when Brianna hired that male hooker multiple times and secretely hoped he actually likes her. The same thing happened here. She saw the possibility of a Grace-replacement in that organizer woman but as soon as her hours were up, she was out of there. Can't buy affection.

The ending of the episode, oh my god. So good! I loved the demonstration of how Grace tried to be honest, but caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and couldn't bring herself to do it. And how happy Frankie was to show up for her.

This season is really strong.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

That last scene!  Poor Grace!

I have to say Sol's swim class subplot didn't do anything for me.

The only thing about the Sol/Robert scenes is that at least they’re not bickering all the time this season. 

• Love 2

I loved it! Hopefully we get to see more of Nick's whacky family (Mary Steenburghen!). Barry geeking out in the bathroom and Brianna's 'Of course it had to be Elves' had me in stitches. And Brianna going full Comic-Con for Barry was probably the most romantic thing she's ever done.

I did not mind Sol and Robert's plot even if it was mostly done for comic relief. The hero sports montage at the end was actually quite funny - wish they had used 'Chariots of Fire' but I guess that does not come cheap.

And of course that last scene was perfection. I loved that Nick was not fooled by Grace's couch shenanigans but I could really understand why she was lying in the end. 

• Love 4

I looooved the Grace and Frankie dolls. They missed a beat by not having Joan Margaret talking to them thinking they were real with her poor eye sight. 

Sol/Robert have always been the weakest part of the show for me. They go to extraordinary lengths to not have Martin show any sort of gay action. This was particularly evident in the first episode of the season where they had them nearly kiss many times but were always interrupted. He’s clearly not comfortable with it which takes me right out of the show. 

Edited by GSManiac
  • Love 9

It's very real. When I was around 18, my grandmother got stuck in the bathtub. The bathroom door was locked, so I had to take it off the hinges to get her out. Will never forget her apologizing for me having to see her naked. It can feel humiliating to be in that situation, so I understand why Grace doesn't want Nick to know, but other hand, it doesn't seem to bode well for their marriage. I guess a lot of newly weds would feel the same though.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, GSManiac said:

I looooved the Grace and Frankie dolls. They missed a beat by not having Joan Margaret talking to them thinking they were real with her poor eye sight. 

Sol/Robert have always been the weakest part of the show for me. They go to extraordinary lengths to not have Martin show any sort of gay action. This was particularly evident in the first episode of the season where they had them nearly kiss many times but were always interrupted. He’s clearly not comfortable with it which takes me right out of the show. 

I doubt very much if the show not showing any "gay action" between Sol and Robert has anything to do with Sheen being uncomfortable. One if the first times I ever saw Martin Sheen act was 48 years ago when he and the wonderful Hal Holbrook played lovers in a 1972 TV movie called That Certain Summer. I was already a Holbrook fan, and became a Sheen fan after that movie.  Sheen is also a supporter of gay rights IRL. 

I have always thought the Sol/Martin relationship is very true to life for people who have been together for years (even if they have only been out in public for a handful). They are affectionate with one another which is just fine with me. The writers may also be writing it that way because many watching are of their generation (or a generation younger like I am) and do not need to see constant kissing (and that includes Grace and Nick) to know they are in a relationship. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

Sol and Robert have been together in one way or another for a long long time.   They may be married now but it is essentially just paperwork and a formality that probably means a lot to heavily closeted and conservative Robert.   

That being said even at a gay event I doubt he would be all touchy and kissy with Sol.   They might hold hands and be openly affectionate but Robert shows how he feels in other ways.

And so does the show.  It may joke about sex a lot  but it doesn’t actually have anyone old or young having sex on screen.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Possibilities did a post in the first ep thread about how Grace's feelings for Nick seem so bound up in his reassuring her that he wants her and she's deserving of love, and that just seems even more true after this ep. I have no idea where it's going, but I really hope the marriage story isn't about this relationship being a great happy ending for her if she could just accept the great gift Nick is giving her.

Because here again, I completely get why Grace just really can't feel comfortable with Nick. Frankly he still seems like he's more of a person and closer to his ex-wife, his ex-wife who knows him well enough to not be surprised that he hasn't told Grace that this woman she thinks is just his business partner is the mother of his child. (Also look at how relatively obnoxious he is with his son while being endlessly patient with Grace and Frankie's kids.) Meanwhile all his interactions with Grace are gallant gestures and compliments and reassurances. It makes perfect sense to me that his kindness and generosity over her limitations only makes her less able to call him for help getting off the toilet. You can't be a princess all the time. Peter is always reassuring her of her desirability, but with Frankie she isn't constantly thinking about her desirability.

Edited by sistermagpie
Because the character's name is Nick and it's the actor who's called Peter.
  • Love 9
On 1/16/2020 at 5:20 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I doubt very much if the show not showing any "gay action" between Sol and Robert has anything to do with Sheen being uncomfortable. One if the first times I ever saw Martin Sheen act was 48 years ago when he and the wonderful Hal Holbrook played lovers in a 1972 TV movie called That Certain Summer. I was already a Holbrook fan, and became a Sheen fan after that movie.  Sheen is also a supporter of gay rights IRL. 

I have always thought the Sol/Martin relationship is very true to life for people who have been together for years (even if they have only been out in public for a handful). They are affectionate with one another which is just fine with me. The writers may also be writing it that way because many watching are of their generation (or a generation younger like I am) and do not need to see constant kissing (and that includes Grace and Nick) to know they are in a relationship. 

That's true, but I did see what she meant, they had a lot of "near misses" even with a quick kiss, close but interrupted. I don't need to see anyone kiss to know they love each other but the "almost kisses" seem odd.

I think showing couples loving each other in a more mature way, sex, talk, being comfortable just being together without having to put on airs, is nice. Jane talking about how much sex to Nick seemed forced to me, not that they were having any, but counting the days? Please.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, debraran said:
On 1/16/2020 at 4:20 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

That's true, but I did see what she meant, they had a lot of "near misses" even with a quick kiss, close but interrupted. I don't need to see anyone kiss to know they love each other but the "almost kisses" seem odd.

I think showing couples loving each other in a more mature way, sex, talk, being comfortable just being together without having to put on airs, is nice.

Two other possible reasons for the lack of PDAs and sex shown on the show could be (1) the target audience (oldsters?) may not be statistically very interested in seeing it, and (2) the episodes are short, and PDAs and on-screen sex are really just fillers.

• Love 3
On 1/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Kept trying to figure out why the declutterer lady was so familiar. IMDb helped me figure out she was Dr Coburn from ER.  Not a main character but significant in a lot of stories. 

I know her primarily from Bosch - but it took me awhile to figure that out.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

Two other possible reasons for the lack of PDAs and sex shown on the show could be (1) the target audience (oldsters?) may not be statistically very interested in seeing it, and (2) the episodes are short, and PDAs and on-screen sex are really just fillers.

As an oldster, I have to admit I'm no longer particularly interested in graphic love making scenes. Most just seem gratuitous these days - young and old alike. It's not that I don't appreciate them  - I appreciate the hell out of a show that makes it clear we older people are still sexually active. But, ya know, it's pretty much "been there, done that" these days, and I'm more interested in story. I'm also tired of endless chases and explosions in other types of shows. Get off my lawn! 😉

• Love 10
On 1/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, sistermagpie said:

Possibilities did a post in the first ep thread about how Grace's feelings for Peter seem so bound up in his reassuring her that he wants her and she's deserving of love, and that just seems even more true after this ep. I have no idea where it's going, but I really hope the marriage story isn't about this relationship being a great happy ending for her if she could just accept the great gift Peter is giving her.

Because here again, I completely get why Grace just really can't feel comfortable with Peter. Frankly he still seems like he's more of a person and closer to his ex-wife, his ex-wife who knows him well enough to not be surprised that he hasn't told Grace that this woman she thinks is just his business partner is the mother of his child. (Also look at how relatively obnoxious he is with his son while being endlessly patient with Grace and Frankie's kids.) Meanwhile all his interactions with Grace are gallant gestures and compliments and reassurances. It makes perfect sense to me that his kindness and generosity over her limitations only makes her less able to call him for help getting off the toilet. You can't be a princess all the time. Peter is always reassuring her of her desirability, but with Frankie she isn't constantly thinking about her desirability.

You mean Nick, not Peter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/18/2020 at 9:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

I don't think it has anything to do with being aimed at "oldsters".  The show has no problem being progressive and open about sexual subjects when it wants to be.  I just don't think it's the kind of show to feature a lot of PDAs.  What comedy on TV shows much if any in the way of PDAs, even shows directed at young people?  I don't even see much of that on trashy reality TV.  Not much even on "Married at First Sight"!  Somehow that stuff is way more common in movies. 

I feel for Grace not being able to get up and not wanting to admit it to Nick, but what is she going to do from now on, not go to the toilet or have Frankie help her up every time she goes?  LOL  I'm wondering why all of a sudden this is an issue for her.  She seems so limber in every other way for her age.  Perhaps it's just something about his particular couch and toilet that makes it hard for her to get up?  When my 91 year old father came to live with me last year for a couple of months he had to avoid certain chairs that he had trouble getting up from, but he's a decade older than Grace's character.

Nick seems well intended but I'm just waiting for Grace to realize she made a mistake marrying him.  He seems like one of those guys that makes grand gestures and proclamations of love before he "gets" a woman, but once he does he may suddenly change.  I don't like it that he didn't tell her about his ex.  I have a feeling we will be seeing more cracks in his facade in the future.  He alluded to lawsuits for some stuff he did.  I think there's probably a lot more there that Frankie has never seen and may not like when she finds out about it.

• Love 2

I absolutely hated the Brianna/Barry storyline. It made no sense. These women are all about the idea of implanting his sperm, but they can’t bear to see what he looks like shortly after masturbating?

And they can’t afford in vitro, but they’ll book multiple rooms in that hotel during ComiCon (which must cost a bundle), just to have some ambience while using a turkey baster?

And where did she obtain a perfect-fitting elf costume at that exact moment?

The whole thing seemed like a really cheap excuse to work ComiCon into the plot.

• Love 3

Well, it makes sense that sperm and egg be reasonably close geographically for the, uh, transfer. At the same time, not so close that, uh, the sperm producer would feel undue pressure to, uh, produce, because that usually makes it more difficult to, well, produce. Especially as Barry is a pretty sensitive guy.

I saw the couple’s renting the nice hotel rooms as a way to make it less clinical and maybe sort of a celebration luxury for both couples after the transfer.

ComiCon...between Barry’s hollering his geek wisdom through the bathroom wall and Brianna finding herself in her worst nightmare, I thought it was hilarious.

• Love 3

Maybe it's just me, but if I was going to do in vitro, i'd feel a lot more comfortable just doing it in my house. Making it into a big production, and enlisting some sexy stranger to "run" his sperm? That seems like an especially awkward way to do it, especially for someone who's sensitive.

And I get that it's not as expensive as in vitro, but it's still a major waste of money.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3
On 1/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Kept trying to figure out why the declutterer lady was so familiar. IMDb helped me figure out she was Dr Coburn from ER.  Not a main character but significant in a lot of stories. 

she was also the Raymond Barrone's nemesis in Everybody Loves Raymond....she was the Girl Scout troop leader.  

I didn't get Brianna's "of course there's Elves" line. 

For an episode in which Grace and Frankie were apart until the end, I really liked this one.

I'm always in favor of Amy Aquino appearing in one of my shows, and this was no exception.  I loved all the similarities between her and Grace, and Frankie getting all jazzed about that, imagining this great new friendship, but Dana was just enjoying what remained of her time on the clock; in the end, it's still just business, and she even gets Frankie's last name wrong.

As soon as Miriam said, "Just my son," when Grace asked if she had any kids, I knew she was Keith's mother.  All the actors played that awkward dinner perfectly - especially the "I brought bread" and "I'm still working on this roast" son, who is hilariously used to the crazy world in which he has been raised.

It was a nice moment when Nick said, "fuck this couch, and the sultan who gave it to me," and a nice agreement not to underestimate each other by assuming how the other will react instead of just being honest and seeing what happens.  But as soon as she said, "Actually, Nick," and started to tell him she needed help getting off the toilet, I started mentally clapping my hands, knowing she was going to send him along and call Frankie for help.

I love how gleeful Frankie was at being needed.  By the end, I was clapping for real and telling my cat, "That's adorable!"

• Love 2

I have to say Sol's swim class subplot didn't do anything for me

I'm confused - why would he need swimming lessons for their cruise?

He's already been on one - ALONE. The folk one where he met Roy.

• Love 4

That’s a really good point. I will admit that I often zone out on the Solbert bickering...was that when they were talking about the FaGaWe ( where the fuck are we) trip?

A boat trip might have more stringent requirements than a cruise, which is just a giant floating petri dish hotel, but that’s a reach. 

Honestly, I gave upon Solbert when Robert got pissy about Sol having gone on the cruise alone. It was Robert’s idea, FFS, and then he bailed to be in Music Man.

The Roy storyline ickiness didn’t help. 

2 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

Different Erin in this episode.

Yep; same Liz, different Erin this season.  I'm not sure I'd have noticed, given the time that passed between when I watched season five and season six, if not for the fact I recognized the new actor from an episode of Major Crimes (for anyone who watched that show, she was the "half a puff, and I tried mopping the floor with my cat" ex-wife of the victim, who had given her some seriously strong pot in "Dead Drop").