Type keyword(s) to search

A Quiet Place Part II (2020)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Opening March 20, 2020

This looks really good. 

Do we think the creatures burned down their home to get them to flee? Last I remember from the first one they amplified the daughter’s hearing aid to kill the creatures. 

The delay is a good idea.  I'm sure it's for financial reasons on their part and I really wanted to see it but just as much didn't want to sit in a movie theater. 

• Love 1

I had been wondering how John Krasinski was going to appear in this film, and I guess it's just flashbacks to things that happen before the events of the first film.  That's a good way to do it.

• Love 1

This was good, I guess.  I liked it but it didn't live up to my expectations.   There were some tense scenes but I never thought any of our main characters were in any danger, except for Emmett.   Also, what is up with bringing in Djimon Hounsou only to kill him off?  Stop doing that, movie people.   I was a bit confused - it seemed like there was an actual plan when the creature attacked the compound; I thought maybe they were leading it to drown in the ocean but I guess they were just leading it away from the group. 

Everyone except Emmett does something dumb.   I kinda felt bad for Emmett, who had 3 people + baby land literally on his doorstep and then he's guilted into going after one of them.   Cillian Murphy's scenes with Millicent Simmonds were good though - honestly this felt like her movie and she made the most of it.   Even doing dumb teen stuff, I was rooting for her.   The expression on her face when Emmett told her she was like her dad spoke volumes.

I liked seeing "Day 1" and wish we had more flashbacks.  I always like seeing how people survive when they're just trying to figure apocalypse stuff out.  That was actually my favorite part of the movie.

Obvious set up for number 3 and I'm sure I'll see that one too. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, raven said:

I liked seeing "Day 1" and wish we had more flashbacks.

I know it's probably because he directed the movie, but I liked when the aliens landed he didn't just stand there agape, pondering the existence of extra-terrestrial life, he got his daughter and booked it.

• Love 5

Our local drive-in has this playing, but I’m not sure if I want to chance not being able to see or hear it properly. I’m not vaccinated yet, and am not ready to be in a movie theatre.  

Krasinski is really proving himself to be one of the better modern purveyors of tension in cinema.  He's got a great handle on setting up and paying off these types of sequences.

• Love 4

This movie was my first trip back to a theater since February 2020.   I really enjoyed it.   I like how characters have depth and it’s not just scares.  

I wouldn’t mind a third one with a time jump since the kids are obviously growing up.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2021 at 5:33 PM, Luckylyn said:

I wouldn’t mind a third one with a time jump since the kids are obviously growing up.

They've definitely set it up for a third film, since now both the Abbott kids know how to kill the aliens. I thought Evelyn looked amazingly proud of her son when he was holding up the radio, before he picked up the gun.

Honestly, I though Emmett was the one who set the bear trap that Noah got caught in, and that was part of why he agreed to help. It's never explained how or why the trap was there, but he also knew that the fire he'd been seeing before was Lee's, and he did nothing to help. Even with the very reasonable explanation that so much as a sneeze could get you discovered and killed, since Lee even put his hand over the guy's mouth who was praying on Day One, they'd obviously known each other before the invasion. He was pressured a bit to go after Regan, who in her foolish courage wanted to amplify her efforts to fight, but he was also dealing with the guilt of not being able to save his own family in addition to doing nothing to help his friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Has it been confirmed the 3rd film is a go?

This was my first movie back to the theater so i was quite enjoying my time in the theater, was so glad i picked to see this over Cruella 😆

I think I would still give the slight edge to the first film, but this was still a pretty good sequel, and i'm in for part 3!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 9:49 AM, blackwing said:

I had been wondering how John Krasinski was going to appear in this film, and I guess it's just flashbacks to things that happen before the events of the first film.  That's a good way to do it.

That's probably the right interpretation, but it wasn't what I thought when I saw the film. (Sidenote: As with @Luckylyn, it was my first trip back to a theater.) I thought that whole buying snacks, softball game, attack on the town sequence happened in the present time after the first film. In other words, the story I thought I saw was "aliens were defeated at end of Part I, people feel safe again, life is returning to semi-normal (much as it is now, post-pandemic), and--oh no, Jesus Christ, they're coming back!!!" I did see the Day 1 title card, but I thought that meant Day 1 of the new story. And also, symbolically, like a Day 1 of "normal is back." 

Speaking of Jesus Christ, Krasinski was clever to make himself a constant presence in Part II even without appearing in most of it. The film couldn't go five minutes without somebody mentioning the Christ-like perfection of his character, and how nobody else could measure up to it. If you're not going to be in a movie, but still be the star of it, that's one way to do it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

It's so interesting that everyone here saw an obvious set up for a third movie and I walked away thinking, wow, they really wrapped that up - no need for a third!  It looks like we all might have been right!  Word on the street is that there will be a third, but it will not be written or directed by Krasinski and will be a stand alone movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I couldn't believe the son was so stupid, after what they had all just been through.  but of course, tension was needed.  

Why didn't the dock mob use the boats to get to the island?  Or did they have no idea the creatures couldn't swim?  they were idiots.  

there's no reason Djimon should have died like that.  either close the garage door or get back into the car and drive.  there was no reason to think the creature wasn't still following them, since that was the whole point.

I guess one "good" think about the situation (that you can't make a sound without calling the creatures on you) is that there was essentially no looting of stores.  plenty of supplies still around.  

(edited)

I wouldn't survive long in an apocalyptical world because when Evelyn was desperately trying to keep Marcus quiet after the bear trap and then the baby started crying, I would have just said "fuck it" and waited for the monster to kill us all. That was maybe the most desperate/tensest moment in the movie. I was sure the baby was going to get killed, at least. I loved that it wasn't Emmett who killed the first monster, but it was the combination of mother and daughter that did it. 

I'm confused as to why Emmett would light a fire and keep it lit if he wasn't trying to reach out to or help other survivors. It seemed like he really just wanted to be alone after losing his wife, so why broadcast his location and then set booby traps? He wasn't a villain trying to lure in victims but also didn't want to play hero, so why the fire?

It seemed like Krasinski wanted us to notice Lee's dirty hands in the flashback, so I was left wondering what he did for a living that made his hands so dirty*. Maybe mechanic? Knowing what we know of his survival skills from the first movie, I thought Lee was military but the flashback didn't seem to indicate that at all. I was also wondering what Evelyn's occupation was. I'm thinking nurse or doctor because she seemed to know her way around all sorts of injuries, what meds were required, and how to rig the oxygen box for the baby. 

I was shocked Krasinski killed his own character in the first movie and thought there would a huge void in the sequel without Lee. But Regan taking center stage and the addition of Emmett was a great decision. Emmett was not quite the badass Lee was but that's okay because he had his own kind of heroics, and Regan clearly was more than capable of taking up her father's mantle. 

Solid sequel: 9/10

*Edit: I just rewatched the first movie and I think Lee was a farmer. I forgot that the farmhouse they were living in was their own, so I guess it makes sense that Lee's hands were dirty in the flashback from farming.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/17/2021 at 10:31 PM, Anela said:

This was like a cross between “LOST” and “Alien”. 

That triggers the observation I had right after the movie that for some reason, all movie aliens after Alien are variations on the aliens in Alien. Why is that? Did Alien prove to us that that's what aliens really look like? Is it a failure of imagination on the part of creature designers? Some combination of the two?

• Love 2
On 5/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, raven said:

Everyone except Emmett does something dumb.   I kinda felt bad for Emmett, who had 3 people + baby land literally on his doorstep and then he's guilted into going after one of them.   Cillian Murphy's scenes with Millicent Simmonds were good though - honestly this felt like her movie and she made the most of it.   Even doing dumb teen stuff, I was rooting for her.   The expression on her face when Emmett told her she was like her dad spoke volumes.

Millicent Simmons (Regan) is amazing.   Krazinski said he wanted a deaf actress and he got a real find in an actress in her.

Part of the appeal of the first film was how this  family was uniquely suited to survive due to their daughter's deafness, ie they could communicate silently.  I realized that they needed to open up this sequel with more characters, but somehow something was lost in the transition.  Both the scavenging barbaric boat people and the seemingly idyllic utopian society on the island were a bit much for me,  

Can't see how the 3rd film will work without answering some questions as to the WHY of things.    Apparently these creatures  from space all crashed onto different parts of the world simultaneously, (Maybe smaller  island masses were spared?) and other than killing humans that make sounds, how would they survive if they killed everything?                                         

• Love 4
On 5/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, raven said:

I liked seeing "Day 1" and wish we had more flashbacks.  I always like seeing how people survive when they're just trying to figure apocalypse stuff out.  That was actually my favorite part of the movie.

I wished they would've focused more on the beginning, I liked the flashbacks too and wanted to see more of how they learned that being quiet will keep you alive and everything else they learned to do to survive before we met them in the first movie. 

I agree about the actress that plays Regan being a lucky find because she's a better actor then a lot of kids I've watched in movies that aren't deaf.

I didn't understand how the creature got on the island it wasn't on the same boat Regan and Emmett took right? Was it on a boat that just happened to float to the island or did the creature drive the boat to the island?

I know Marcus was scared being alone but having lived in the world with aliens for as long as he has he did a really dumb thing, it's a good thing his mom made it back when she did.

I did enjoy this, it was entertaining and I like monster/alien movies so I can't wait for part 3.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Was it on a boat that just happened to float to the island or did the creature drive the boat to the island?

Yes - when the creatures attack the group attempting to kidnap Regan, we do see one on a boat that (I think) gets cut loose in all the confusion.  That's the boat we see later at the island, floating by itself, with the inference to me being that it was an unlucky drift for the islanders.

• Useful 1

I'm also getting the impression that these creatures are just "killing machines" let loose on Earth, not the ones who actually built the ships that brought them here. There are "others" behind them. Were they sent here deliberately to wipe us out, or did "someone" just shoot them randomly into space to get rid of them, and they landed here by sheer bad luck??

Also, if they wanted to get the message out that you needed to get to the middle of a body of water, why didn't they broadcast it in a clear broadcast, instead of in an old song? Were they afraid that "they" were listening?

Will anyone else realize what the weird broadcast is doing? What about Cheyenne Mountain; that surely must have been closed off.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, Tyro49 said:

I'm also getting the impression that these creatures are just "killing machines" let loose on Earth, not the ones who actually built the ships that brought them here.

Yeah, whenever I see aliens that look like this I always wonder how did they build ships and computers etc... I know that should be the last thing I should worry about when watching a movie about aliens lol. That makes since that these creatures are the "killing machines" so maybe the next movie will explore more of alien side.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, Tyro49 said:

I'm also getting the impression that these creatures are just "killing machines" let loose on Earth, not the ones who actually built the ships that brought them here. There are "others" behind them. Were they sent here deliberately to wipe us out, or did "someone" just shoot them randomly into space to get rid of them, and they landed here by sheer bad luck??

Get ready for "A Quiet Place In The Tomorrow War"

On 7/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, caracas1914 said:

Part of the appeal of the first film was how this  family was uniquely suited to survive due to their daughter's deafness, ie they could communicate silently.  I realized that they needed to open up this sequel with more characters, but somehow something was lost in the transition.  Both the scavenging barbaric boat people and the seemingly idyllic utopian society on the island were a bit much for me,  

Can't see how the 3rd film will work without answering some questions as to the WHY of things.    Apparently these creatures  from space all crashed onto different parts of the world simultaneously, (Maybe smaller  island masses were spared?) and other than killing humans that make sounds, how would they survive if they killed everything?                                         

On 7/23/2021 at 11:45 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I wished they would've focused more on the beginning, I liked the flashbacks too and wanted to see more of how they learned that being quiet will keep you alive and everything else they learned to do to survive before we met them in the first movie. 

Admittedly, I was really tired when we watched this so I nodded off for a few minutes, so will probably have to rewatch.

But I agree that I wish there had been more focus on the flashback scene, or more explanation.  By the "Day 1" title card, I assume it means the day the aliens first arrived.  But I had the same questions... how did they know that they had to be really quiet?  When Lee and his daughter hid in the bar, there is that guy who is muttering a prayer and Lee puts his hand over his mouth to silence him.  Then when that lady's cell phone went off, right away, Lee knew that was going to be an issue and instantly tried to jump away from them.

It seemed to me that it went beyond just "try and be quiet" because the guy really wasn't praying that loud, and you would think that behind a solid door and walls, that the alien wouldn't be able to hear.  It seemed to me that Lee automatically attuned to the fact that the aliens could hear very well, but not necessarily smell them or see them.  How?

I agree that the boat people and the island people were a bit much.  I would have preferred a prequel to the first movie, showing everything in between Day One and the start of the first movie.  I liked Krasinski's character and wanted to see more of him.  And then the third movie could have been about how they survive after the first movie. 

• Love 2

Watched this tonight on Amazon prime. Like the first one it was a fun ride but the kind of thing that doesn't really hold up when you put too much thought into it. Especially when they got to the island why did they wait so long to go to the radio station? Like you know your family is trapped in a steel mill and what you end up doing will make them safe so why not go their right away. Although I am curious how a radio station on an island maintains power.

The day 1 stuff is good, although it seemed weird that only one cop tried to shoot the aliens, although maybe that is just a stereotype of people in the US.

Overall though I think I liked it, would liked to have seen more Emily Blunt being a badass though.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

Yeah, whenever I see aliens that look like this I always wonder how did they build ships and computers etc... I know that should be the last thing I should worry about when watching a movie about aliens lol. That makes since that these creatures are the "killing machines" so maybe the next movie will explore more of alien side.

This is from awhile back but it could be an Alien type of scenario (the movie Alien) where killing machine aliens take over a space ship piloted by others and then kill everyone on board after the ship was already on course to earth.