Type keyword(s) to search

Flirty Dancing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hosted by actress, producer, and dancer, Jenna Dewan, comes FLIRTY DANCING, the innovative new series that is part performance, part blind date, and all about romantic chemistry. Complete strangers are taught half of a dance routine, then meet for the first time on a blind date at a breathtaking location, where they will then dance together without saying a word. In this romantic approach to dating, these singles will push themselves out of their comfort zones in the hope of being swept off their feet. Will it be love at first dance?

So I am not buying that the dance they show was the first dance.  How would they have known where to wander in the courtyard and into the water area so easily?  

And I thought the second one had it for sure with the slow dance.  Guess not...

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2

I really didn't plan on watching this, but all of my usual Sunday shows are on hiatus.  So, the first couple just finished - a hefty blond and a huge AA guy.  They were dropped off near this fountain in the middle of the city and see each other for the first time. With no words, they start doing their dance right out in the open with the public all around. They even ended up dancing in the fountain.  How cute.  🤢

Jenna Dewan is not a good enough actress to make me believe her "excitement" to see if this dancing couple will find love after the music ends. The next couple is about to meet, and I see the female talking with tears running down her face, which makes me thankful that I'm watching with sound muted because I think I will die from cringe if I have to hear these people talk about how much they want love in their lives.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

Seems like Travis kind of gave up on the guy who couldn't do a body roll because his "dance" ended up being mostly walking, posing and partnering the woman.

The exterior shoots were a surprise but added some nice atmosphere to the dances. Did they shut down that plaza for the fountain rehearsals, and how much does it cost to rent out the Hollywood Bowl? Jeez.

I didn't watch the entire intro packages and maybe Erin has a medical condition, but vocal therapy is a thing to help modify the tone of one's voice. Trim body and cute face aside, I honestly can't blame most guys for not wanting to date someone who sounds like Nancy Cartwright doing Bart Simpson.

If I watch again, I'll probably just FF to the dances

• Love 1

I did think it was kind of a cute and simple show.  I liked that it seems more innocent than how most of the dating shows have been lately....there isn't a lot of backstory/drama/social media involvement, and they don't seem like they expect to become "stars" just from appearing on this show (even if they are hoping so).  

I did think it would be kind of interesting to learn a dance, just show up to dance it with someone, and then leave.  

• Love 8

Granted, I didn't watch every minute of the show, but where is the music coming from, and how is it piped in? 

In the first dance I saw some random people in the background but I wonder how much area the crew clears out for these dances.  

• Love 1

I think I like this show, although I am not positive. Still, I made it through to the end. Tyce and Travis! I would be on this show just to have either (or both) teach me a dance.

I was surprised the real dances took place in locations where the people had to have been practicing, how else would they know to jump over benches or stroll out into a fountain. And LOL that the sound of clunking shoes on the Hollywood Bowl floor were (almost all) edited out, or else everyone would have been distracted from those two trying to be romantic dancers.

It was interesting that Octavius (?) said the blond woman was “so beautiful” and the second woman “seemed confident.” Yeah, typical guy, goes for the pretty, that was a no brainer.

I would be dating that music guy from the second dance. A sensitive artist ... hot. I thought for sure she would pick the tall guy, so that one surprised me.

I spent a lot of time checking out what Jenna was wearing so her pregnancy wouldn’t be so obvious.

The people in the park with the fountain weren’t paying a lick of attention to the dancers, so I figured they were extras planted there for “realism.”

Did anyone else yell out “NOOooo!” when the tall guy dragged the woman on her back down the length of the bleachers? Talk about how to ruin a nice dress and pick up some splinters along with every piece of dirt and sludge deposited there over the decades.

The end was cute, with the couples saying they were still dating. Reminded me of Ellen’s show about meeting a blind date in a Chicago restaurant that was on a couple years ago. 

ETA: I, too, wondered where the music was coming from. Maybe the dancers had ear pieces or something.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else yell out “NOOooo!” when the tall guy dragged the woman on her back down the length of the bleachers? Talk about how to ruin a nice dress and pick up some splinters along with every piece of dirt and sludge deposited there over the decades.

Husband and I both yelled “splinters!”

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I liked it. I assume that the park area for the first guy's dances has speakers around--honestly, given that it was LA, I'm sure it's been used with piped in music/noise before. I hadn't thought about whether it was only one take for each dance, but I liked the people well enough and really enjoyed seeing more normal-type people. I was surprised with both picks, but happy. And was happy to get the update that they've all gone on at least a few dates.

• Love 5

I'm glad that the people who didn't get picked were mature about it. We, too, guessed in the opposite direction for both (the young woman really seemed to have chemistry with the real estate guy during their dance), but I'm glad they each kept at it.

I was very amused at the conceit that Jenna was doing the matchmaking, though!

• Love 2

I watched it just for shits and giggles, but I won't be watching again because I think the premise is stoooopid.  My guy has two left feet, can't dance a lick and that has no bearing at all on our relationship.  

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I was very amused at the conceit that Jenna was doing the matchmaking, though!

I like the show well enough but I was also thinking that Jenna most likely did not do the matchmaking.  I don't know why the show made her say that she did.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I watched it just for shits and giggles, but I won't be watching again because I think the premise is stoooopid.  My guy has two left feet, can't dance a lick and that has no bearing at all on our relationship.  

I'll watch again but I agree about the premise.  I've taken dance for lots of years.  My husband can't dance and we've been married for over 30 years.  He does know how to judge dancing though but that's only because he's watched a bunch of dance shows that our daughters have been.

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

BTW, I should introduce myself since I don't usually frequent the dance or dating show forums: I'm @MarkHB, and I'm the mod for this show. If anyone needs anything, please PM me.

Hi Mark.

• Love 3

So the second dance with all of those pillars, there is no way they both could have learned the dance and incorporated the pillars into that so seamlessly.  Learning placement when learning the dance separately would be very difficult.

I also wonder why one has a fast song and the other slower.  It just seems to make the situations unbalanced since much of the time chemistry might show more with a slow dance.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I also wonder why one has a fast song and the other slower.  It just seems to make the situations unbalanced since much of the time chemistry might show more with a slow dance.

Just came a crossed this show... I think it would be more, I guess, fair if the person danced the same dance with both partners.

• Love 5

Finally caught it.  I surprisingly didn't HATE it, but there are a lot of flaws involved that are way too distracting.  Specifically, that one is a slow dance where you can sort of hide some of your mistakes if it doesn't involve a lift, and the other is a faster one where it looks like it will go off the rails fast (Beau's fast one was AWKWARD.)  It's pretty evident that due to the setting, the dancers have to practice where to go for blocking and camera purposes because they won't just slide down some stairs out of nowhere (and they were asking that out of someone who broke her leg and hip a year ago.) 

I did like they seem to be open to having "older" people (early 40s) and I thought Beau's reaction to both ladies was sort of cute.   

This falls under "shows I could watch when there is nothing else on the broadcast channels."

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

This falls under "shows I could watch when there is nothing else on the broadcast channels."

Agree. If there is nothing else on and Netflix and Amazon won't stream like tonight I'd watch.

38 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I did like they seem to be open to having "older" people (early 40s) and I thought Beau's reaction to both ladies was sort of cute. 

It is nice that the show has "older" people.  So I missed the first part of the show is Beau the guy's real given name? Poor dude! Also I thought his green sweat pants were horrible. Actually I thought all his pants were not the greatest. Oh and the black cardigan in the second dance was also bad...

8 hours ago, mtlchick said:

The original UK version has featured actual seniors, and they tend to be super cute approaching the dances (and not for nothing, they tend to be the people most open to the matchmaking aspect of the show). So I hope this version also makes room for some older older people too.

I like a lot about this, basically Jenna, the choreographers, and the dancing. I really don't like the competition angle they wedged in where someone definitely has to win and someone definitely has to be rejected. Not to keep beating that "the original is better" drum, but it's more interesting to wonder whether two people actually made a connection than which one the main single will pick.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Wait, how many episodes have aired?  My DVR only picked up one with Octavius (?) and high pitch gal.  Who is Beau?

Cute show but I also wondered about how many times they actually danced.  Seems to me it would take several takes just to get the right camera angle, etc. 

4 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Wait, how many episodes have aired?  My DVR only picked up one with Octavius (?) and high pitch gal.  Who is Beau?

The second episode aired last night (Jan 1).  Fox is all over the place scheduling this show so keep an eye on the schedule to be sure you catch it.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, Fireball said:

<snip>

So I missed the first part of the show is Beau the guy's real given name? Poor dude! <snip>

Beau is not that much of an unusual name though, at least not in the U.S., and it's popularity has been rising steadily.

According to the website Nameberry, Beau ranked number 151 in the top 1000 boy's names of 2018:

Screenshot_20200103-204430.thumb.png.3b8ded44e739dd0592e7a78818d48eab.png

• Useful 1

Just watched the second episode. I thought Cy was so pretty. Her first date, the photographer, would have been a great catch given his job (perfect for me!), then he revealed he’d never heard the Stevie Wonder song. Fail!

I did catch that Cy was sent out to the location to practice, so that was a good reveal. Cy’s first dance, it seemed neither were in step and there were a lot of goofs that the camera skipped over. I never saw the moves Cy practiced with Travis, so I’m guessing those were fails too. If so, they would have been fun to see, even though that doesn’t fit the “perfect” theme of the show.

I liked that the woman dancer working with Travis was shown more. Last week it seemed her face wasn’t allowed to be seen.

I knew Cy would pick the second guy. It’s sort of a no brainer that the romantic slow dance makes the connection. Although laying down in the puddles at the end ... yikes! And was it raining during that dance? Ugh.

Beau was really a Venice-Beach-type dude, I’m surprised he hasn’t been cast on The Bachelor/ette yet. He was good theater, but I hesitate to think his match will last. Again, the romantic dance made the connection.

The end was slightly disappointing, both couples were not very definite about whether they are still dating. Like last week, I think it was Octavius who said they’d been on six dates already. This week, the follow up was a bit vague.

I’m thinking there are several cameras filming each dance from different locations, then the film is edited together. I tried to see camera people in the wide-angle/aerial shots, but no luck.

Next episode should be fun. I’m enjoying the brainlessness of it all!

• Love 2

I truly appreciate that, for the most part, the women have been wearing tennis shoes or flats rather than high heels while they danced.  I was holding my breath waiting for somebody to trip or fall on the stairs at the Hollywood bowl though.

I’m really liking the wardrobe they’re putting the participants in (if the show is responsible for their clothes). I especially loved the outfits the woman named Cy wore for both of her dances.

• Love 4

I like that they don't seem to be trying to humiliate anyone. The inherent fakeness of a show like this (any "reality" show) is hard to ignore, but if I view it as pure fiction and not reality, it's a feel good idea and they're bringing forward a fun kind of adventurous experiment.

I also like that of the 3 episodes I've seen, they are mixing up ages and body types. I hope there will be some variety in gender and sexual orientation, as well.

I wonder how much trouble the show goes to in picking partners. Do they just match general height/weight so people look matched for the camera? Or do they do anything else to attempt people having any more than that to go on? They CALL it a matchmaking, but it's hard for me to believe they are investing that much thought in it, when they don't tell us anything about that, really. I also think divvying it up into a romantic vs a "fun" dance really does influence who gets chosen.

But just for the fun of watching ordinary people dance, it's watchable. I do like that the people chosen are often people who come across like relatable actual humans-- the woman barber and the schoolteacher she matched with, the musician who seems to have social anxiety, etc. I think the show would be unbearable if it was all cast to look like bland, LA typical mactor types.  They very well may all be that, but I appreciate the effort to represent at least some other pictures. 

I am not sure if I'll watch more episodes when I get busier. Maybe.

• Love 3

They might be doing one romantic, slow dance and one fast, fun dance rather than having them do the same dances with both partners to give the rejected dancer plausible deniability about why they have been rejected: “it wasn’t me; it was the particular dance we did that influenced the decision.”

• Love 2
On 1/3/2020 at 6:45 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Beau is not that much of an unusual name though, at least not in the U.S., and it's popularity has been rising steadily.

According to the website Nameberry, Beau ranked number 151 in the top 1000 boy's names of 2018:

I had no idea it was such a popular boys name!  When I hear Beau I think of what women use to refer to their boyfriends as.. You know "He's my Beau!"

On 1/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, saber5055 said:

Beau was really a Venice-Beach-type dude, I’m surprised he hasn’t been cast on The Bachelor/ette yet. He was good theater, but I hesitate to think his match will last. Again, the romantic dance made the connection.

That's exactly what Beau was and I'm also a bit surprised he hasn't been cast on The Bachelor/ette . I'm making the assumption that all these people are wanna be actors etc. 

• Love 2

Was Beau the surfer who said that the reason he's single is that he doesn't compromise? To me, that sounded like code for "I'm a controlling asshole".

I definitely think that anyone who auditions for this show has to be at least mactor adjacent, because how else would they even know about the casting call? But I appreciate that they are casting a variety of types.

• Love 1

I watch other dance shows.  We mentioned the SYTYCD choreographers the first week.  This time, I was able to see some of the assistants.  They are also SYTYCD alumni.  I saw Season 5 Kayla and also Vlad who is more known as being in the DWTS troupe but he did audition last year. 

As others mentioned, I do like that there isn't a lot of drama especially when somebody gets rejected.  The show also doesn't try to show people in a negative light.  I can actually see the person dating the rejected person if they met in a different setting, e.g. at a party or friends introducing them. 

I do agree that there is an advantage if you have a slower song.  You have to be more vulnerable and trusting of your partner especially when there's a lift involved.  

I wonder if the couples lasted since it did seem like the updates on the first show couples mentioned that they dated longer.  I really liked the first couple on this episode and hope they last for awhile.

• Love 2

I wasn’t surprised that the girl picked the stunt man who did the slow dance in tonight’s episode. I’m guessing the lift was a huge deal for her. He must have been a mactor since they broke up a few hours later. Glad to see the older couple still together. I loved that their dance was fun and imperfect. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, seasons said:

I love reading your comments! I'm just trying to enjoy the show and not think about it too much! I really do like this show! Mindless fun for me! 

Yes, I like how this is just a fun mindless show.  It's cute.  The first couple physically looked good together.  But I thought he was a little too mature/old for her.  She's never dated before and he was in his 30s.  This is not a dig on either one.  I just didn't think that they would click when I saw the interviews.

I'm glad the second couple is working out so far.  I honestly thought that he might match better with the other woman personality wise.  They have similar stories.  But I think he was really physically attracted to the woman that he picked.

• Love 4

This episode was interesting.  I think the first one chose the right person even if he didn’t work out, as the other guy was a little cocky and immature.  

The second one I was pleasantly surprised.  I worried the first person would get overlooked as their dance wasn’t one that allowed much of a connection.  She seemed sweet and he seemed to like her.  He did seem well matched with the second one, and it was the slow dance, so I expected her.  I was happy to see he gave it some thought and it is working out for him.  

I really do think if they do this show again they should do two similar type dances so the person isn’t often so swayed by the more romantic dance versus the person.  I think that happens a lot here, with a couple exceptions. 

• Love 4

I really do think if they do this show again they should do two similar type dances so the person isn’t often so swayed by the more romantic dance versus the person.  I think that happens a lot here, with a couple exceptions. 

I wouldn't mind them doing the same dance with both people.  But the American viewing public seems to need novelty all the time, even though it usually leads to boredom because of lack of substance for me.  I guess it would be hard to settle who dances first, but a coin toss would satisfy me.

• Love 2

Whoever is doing the wardrobe continues to knock it out of the park.

BUT  whoever selected the songs for the older gentleman (Ted) and two older women screwed up. I think they picked songs that were easily 10 to 15 years too old for the people dancing. How insulting. I think they should have picked something from the 1970s or even 1980s. Bobby Darin???? That’s an artist more suited (for this show) for someone in their 70s, not people in their late 50s. 

ETA: Or they should have picked contemporary songs for the older dancers, too! Older people (including me!) like contemporary, current music, too! 

Edited by PityFree
I’m fired up about the age thing!!
  • Love 1

Scheduling note : the final two episodes will air back to back as the season finale on Saturday, January 25. I'm not sure of the schedule between now and then but I don't think it bodes well for a Season 2.

• Love 1

BUT  whoever selected the songs for the older gentleman (Ted) and two older women screwed up. I think they picked songs that were easily 10 to 15 years too old for the people dancing. How insulting. I think they should have picked something from the 1970s or even 1980s. Bobby Darin???? That’s an artist more suited (for this show) for someone in their 70s, not people in their late 50s. 

I understand your point, but in the instance of this song, I disagree.  I'm ten years younger than Ted (he said he was 68 and I don't believe either woman's age was revealed), so Bobby Darin's version was hot a year before I was born, but that doesn't matter.  It is such a HUGE classic song, that I have enjoyed every iteration of it since (look it up, there have been tons) and it is one of the songs I sing to my dog all the time (with different words).  I would far rather dance to it than to "Can't Hurry Love" which is also a great song that has been done famously by some other people.  "Beyond the Sea" is such a classic and the French version "Le Mer" is even more romantic.  If I was dancing ballroom, I would love to dance to this song, which has lilt and beat and soft thrilling feelings and is super dancey.  I also think that the woman who danced to it was thrilled with it.

Anna on the other hand.  She looked uncomfortable with both men to me.  Spectacularly uncomfortable with the first guy, somuchso that I hit the ff button.  She was the first story that just didn't work for me on any level.  I'm also glad to know that the show is going to be upfront about things not working out.  I wonder if she wanted to meet the other guy after that, but I guess it would be hard to know you were the second choice.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 3
On 1/9/2020 at 3:50 PM, alexa said:

This episode was interesting.  I think the first one chose the right person even if he didn’t work out, as the other guy was a little cocky and immature.  

The second one I was pleasantly surprised.  I worried the first person would get overlooked as their dance wasn’t one that allowed much of a connection.  She seemed sweet and he seemed to like her.  He did seem well matched with the second one, and it was the slow dance, so I expected her.  I was happy to see he gave it some thought and it is working out for him.  

21 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I understand your point, but in the instance of this song, I disagree.  I'm ten years younger than Ted (he said he was 68 and I don't believe either woman's age was revealed), so Bobby Darin's version was hot a year before I was born, but that doesn't matter.  It is such a HUGE classic song, that I have enjoyed every iteration of it since (look it up, there have been tons) and it is one of the songs I sing to my dog all the time (with different words).  I would far rather dance to it than to "Can't Hurry Love" which is also a great song that has been done famously by some other people.  "Beyond the Sea" is such a classic and the French version "Le Mer" is even more romantic.  If I was dancing ballroom, I would love to dance to this song, which has lilt and beat and soft thrilling feelings and is super dancey.  I also think that the woman who danced to it was thrilled with it.

Anna on the other hand.  She looked uncomfortable with both men to me.  Spectacularly uncomfortable with the first guy, somuchso that I hit the ff button.  She was the first story that just didn't work for me on any level.  I'm also glad to know that the show is going to be upfront about things not working out.  I wonder if she wanted to meet the other guy after that, but I guess it would be hard to know you were the second choice.

I also don't think Anna would have been good with either guy.  As I previously mentioned, the one she picked seemed too old for her especially since she was inexperienced with dating.  He did seem like a nice guy though.  I'm also glad that the show was honest and mentioned that it did not work out.

I agree with Alexa that the second guy seemed a little cocky.  I did like that he was a substitute teacher so maybe they could have discussed that since she also likes kids.

For the second story, both women were in their late 50s.  I think the one he chose was 56 while the other was 57.  I honestly feel that either woman would have worked out.  I knew both songs but I agree with PityFree that the Bobby Darin song was a little too old.

• Love 2

Man I really hate how they squeeze the update in the last few seconds of the show and my DVR always cuts it off. Thankfully I DVR Almost Family afterwards and can usually piece it together.

That kiss was pretty crazy, although there have been a few dances on this show where I almost thought they were going to kiss. If he had kissed both of them, I would think he was just a creep, but he did seem genuinely taken by the moment. Did they ever say what happened to his daughter's mother? I wasn't sure if he was divorced or a widower. He definitely seemed out of practice at the whole dating thing.

• Love 2

I missed the episode with Ted, I'll try to catch up with that one. I did see Danielle and Jordan. Again, both people chose the partner who had the slow romantic dance. Come on show, you are making this a no brainer. Of course the pair who has the lifts and long, slow holds as they stare into each other's eyes will be the "winners" over the pairs who do goofy jumping around. I wish everyone would do the same dance, either fast and goofy or slow and romantic, just to make the competition more equal.

So of course Danielle choose the "personal assistant" (what is that, a secretary) over the pilot who used to fly military jets and now flies commercial. Sure, Mr. Pilot's haircut was to fit his occupation, but you gave him the stupid goofy dance so of course he lives to date another day. 

The guy Danielle did choose looked like Nathan Fillian from one direction, then not that good looking from another. Sort of like the two-faced Seinfeld woman! But he was big and tall and strong and could lift Danielle up. So, good luck to them. Meanwhile, I'll be giving that pilot a call.

I hate the clothes the women wear for the fast dances, little girl shortie dresses and glowing white tennis shoes. Makes them look like pre-teens. But maybe that's the point.

It was fun to see Sharna this episode. And Jenna looked beautiful in her first segment, wearing black, and a more pinkish lipstick. Okay, so it didn't last, but she looked super for a few minutes.

Jordan ... it was not said why he has a daughter, if he was married/divorced/widowed, nor was it said what his occupation is now. That I remember anyway. I would have chosen the first woman, she was so pretty and I liked her back story, but again, she had the goofy dance and stupid little-girl outfit and clunky shoes. And after he kissed the second woman, the one who had the beautiful gown and romantic dance, it was a no brainer which he would pick.

Again, the ending was a little sketchy about if these two pairs are still dating. But whatever I guess. Being on the show has to be fun. The dances actually are pretty simple, and it would be a fun experience even if the dating doesn't work out.

This episode I saw a PA inside the building on the Universal back lot NY street, and got a glimpse of a camera man during the Hollywood Bowl segment. Spotting those two background people was fun. I do like this show, it's a mindless good time.

I'm guessing casting calls are put in local newspapers/Variety as well as online on casting sites. Almost all the reality shows post casting calls, especially online. There are sites for that, people looking to get on teevee.

• Love 1

I'm not sure that I believe in the spontaneity of that kiss.

There is just something "off" about the show and I can't identify it.  Or maybe I just dislike anybody associated with World of Dance so much that I can't get beyond JDT.

For those who don't know and are interested, I put Google to work after watching last week's episode (the tall woman and the older guy), and that magnificent domed Beaux Arts building where Anna did her dances is Pasadena City Hall.

• Love 3

I just caught up with last week, Anna and Ted. Anna is at a disadvantage being 6 ft. 2. As a tall woman, I know for a fact that men don't like women taller than they. I've been told a woman should "fit under my arm pit" by more than one man. But I digress.

I did like her RESIST jacket.

Jimmy, a stuntman specializing in horses ... my perfect man! I've had horses my whole life.

Max ... I don't remember his occupation. (ETA: Sub teacher. I had forgotten that.) But his "She's cute, she was bringing it, and she's TALL" told me no connection there. I didn't see one with Jimmy either, and wondered why she was wearing heels with him, which put her eyes above his in that (not) romantic dance.

I'm not surprised her date did not work out. But she's cool, so I hope this show helps her find someone.

Meanwhile ... VAL! Not that his 'stash is a good look on him. But whatever.

Ted was a twin for Ozzie Nelson, in looks and voice. He should be doing bit parts in film, he's handsome enough, and yeah, that Ozzie voice is NICE. I hope his dance partner lasts with him.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2020 at 6:47 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

Cute show but I also wondered about how many times they actually danced.  Seems to me it would take several takes just to get the right camera angle, etc. 

Camera angles can be blocked with stand-ins. The show doesn't show it but, it is also possible the people being set up for matches do practice at the site where they will perform their dance. I think those rehearsal sessions are not shown so the site will be a surprise for the viewers. Just my take on it.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2