Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter Eight - Redemption

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I’ve ordered another Baby Yoda tee shirt. I’ve got it bad! 😍

I actually really did order that Disney plush, despite feeling kind of funny about it, being kidless. But he's just so cute!

• Love 3

I wasn't sure where to post this question but decided this episode discussion was more appropriate than episode 1.  

Does anyone have any idea who the folks were that had baby Yoda in the beginning?  They killed all the previous bounty hunters that came looking for the Child.  Were they keeping him safe or just keeping him for their own nefarious reasons.  I know they are all dead but wouldn't it make sense to go back to search for some answers about where Baby Yoda came from?  It seems like that would be the most likely place to find at least a clue.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I wasn't sure where to post this question but decided this episode discussion was more appropriate than episode 1.  

Does anyone have any idea who the folks were that had baby Yoda in the beginning?  They killed all the previous bounty hunters that came looking for the Child.  Were they keeping him safe or just keeping him for their own nefarious reasons.  I know they are all dead but wouldn't it make sense to go back to search for some answers about where Baby Yoda came from?  It seems like that would be the most likely place to find at least a clue.

I had so many questions about that part of Chapter 1 too (which did not change after I recently watched it again) and I wondered the same thing.  How did Baby Yoda get there?  Had he been on that planet, in that one spot, for a long time, or was he just recently kidnapped and transported there from another planet (maybe his home world)?  Who was keeping the baby there, and, as you said, were they protecting him from Moff Gideon's men or possibly keeping him there for some other (more sinister) purpose of their own?  Maybe they were even holding him there until someone else (not Gideon) came to get him?  Will Mando go back to that planet to try to find someone who might still be alive and could give him some info?  

It's interesting because all Mando knew up to Chapter 7 was that he had to protect the baby and get the other hunters and enemies off of his tail once and for all.  His plan was to kill whoever was trying to get the baby and then -- I am totally assuming -- possibly go back to Sorgan to leave the baby there to live a happy life (which he couldn't do in Chapter 4 because there were still hunters looking for the baby).   Mando was not thinking about reuniting Baby Yoda with his own kind until late in Chapter 8, so I guess it hadn't even occurred to him to look further into anything about what was happening with the baby or who was keeping the baby before Mando got to him.  Mando wasn't even really asking "what is it" in regards to the baby's species until the last 2 episodes of the season.

Kuiil might have noticed some extra details or clues left behind in the rubble when he went down into the compound to collect IG-11's remnants, but he might have thought they were insignificant and therefore never mentioned them to Mando.  By the time Mando learned from the Armorer that he had to reunite the baby with his own kind (whatever that means, specifically), Kuiil was gone and it was too late to ask him about anything else he may have seen or heard on that planet (Arvala-7).

Realistically, I think Mando will find out some important morsel of Baby Yoda info from Moff Gideon.  Gideon just casually dropped info about Cara, Greef and Mando/Din in one of his menacing speeches.  So I am expecting that Mando will somehow end up in another confrontation with Gideon, at which point Gideon will explain more about why he wants the baby or maybe even where the baby is from, and possibly mention who took the baby in the first place (causing him to seek the services of bounty hunters to get him back).  Now that may take until the end of Season 2 to occur, but I think it will happen.  Perhaps Gideon will capture Cara and/or Greef, since they are all on the same planet and easy to get to, causing Mando to have to head back to Nevarro to rescue her/them and battle Gideon once again.

• Love 1

After watching Toy Story 4 on Disney+ early this morning, I hopped over to The Mandalorian to watch one scene in Chapter 8 before signing out.  There was something I recently saw in a YouTube montage of Baby Yoda scenes that I wanted to double check.

I don't think I previously realized -- in the multiple times I have watched Chapter 8 and the entire Mandalorian season -- that when Mando/Din thinks he is dying and is telling Cara to go on without him, Baby Yoda gently rests his tiny green hand on Mando's foot.  He is just standing there, touching the tip of his foot as he watches Mando tell Cara to tell the other Mandalorians that a Foundling was in his care and all of that.  Baby sees the exact moment when Mando hands his Mythosaur pendant to Cara.  It's all super-quick and the camera suddenly switches to something else.  (This was right before Baby had to stop the fire, but I wondered if he was thinking "Do you need me to step in and help you?  I'm here for you.  Just say the word." 🤣)

We never see Cara giving Baby Yoda the pendant, of course, but I think it's safe to assume that she either put the pendant in the bag with the baby and the baby took it, or she put it around Baby's neck and tucked it under his little robe.

But the "holding the foot" scene was interesting to me -- both for the subtle sweetness in seeing Baby Yoda as a concerned, protective son as he lightly touched Daddy, and also for the fact that Baby Yoda saw exactly how significant the pendant was to Mando.  He saw that it symbolized something for him as Mando handed it to Cara when he was in distress (although Baby might not have understood exactly what the significance was). 

This fleeting moment suggests that the final Baby Yoda scene in the episode, in which Mando lets him keep the pendant, is even more curious.  Did Baby take the pendant out from wherever he was hiding it so that Mando would see that he had it, in case Mando wanted it back?  Or was Baby planning to keep it?  Either way, he got to keep it, which was precious.  Not only was Mando letting his newly-christened son keep this pendant that was important to him, but Baby knew that it was important to Mando and he probably wanted to hold onto it because of that.  In other words, it's not just Baby Yoda clinging to a shiny new toy (although that's part of it too!).  He wants to keep the pendant because it belongs to Daddy -- who almost died -- and means something to him, just as any child might want to keep a valued or treasured item that means something to their parent(s).

• Love 11
On 1/31/2020 at 10:11 PM, TVFan17 said:

Gideon just casually dropped info about Cara, Greef and Mando/Din in one of his menacing speeches. 

He is the Galactic Empire pre-murder monologue twin of Red Reddington ...

• Love 2
On 1/3/2020 at 3:29 PM, FierceCritter said:

I admit, I was a little taken aback by how he looked when the mask came off.

Another factor regarding the chunky face is that as much as it had taken all that abuse, it would have been swollen.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, TVFan17 said:

Baby Yoda gently rests his tiny green hand on Mando's foot

I didn't notice this until you mentioned it here and then I watched for it on my third viewing, so thanks!  So cute.

Overall I really liked the wrap up even though we knew both Mando & Baby would be safe and that Mando would use the jet pack Rising Phoenix.

I was not happy to lose both Kuiil (who was my third favorite character) and IG; one would have been enough.   On one of my re-watches Kuiil says "I will keep the child safe" and I'm all wahhhhhh 😞

I felt for Kuiil, who freed himself from servitude and wanted to live in peace with his blurrgs and instead they all die.  Damn it, show.

I do laugh at this exchange between Din Djarin (going to try to say that and not Mando!) and The Armorer:

“You expect me to search the galaxy for the home of this creature and deliver it to a race of enemy sorcerers?”  "This is the way".

The disbelief in Pascal's voice and the sort of amused verbal shrug in Emily Swallow's makes the whole exchange.

Stop hitting the baby, dammit!!

So how many more times can I watch this series???  I really need S2 but I was spoiled by being able to binge watch S1.

Happy Star Wars GIF by Nerdist.com

• Love 4
23 hours ago, raven said:

I didn't notice this until you mentioned it here and then I watched for it on my third viewing, so thanks!  So cute.

Overall I really liked the wrap up even though we knew both Mando & Baby would be safe and that Mando would use the jet pack Rising Phoenix.

I was not happy to lose both Kuiil (who was my third favorite character) and IG; one would have been enough.   On one of my re-watches Kuiil says "I will keep the child safe" and I'm all wahhhhhh 😞

I felt for Kuiil, who freed himself from servitude and wanted to live in peace with his blurrgs and instead they all die.  Damn it, show.

I do laugh at this exchange between Din Djarin (going to try to say that and not Mando!) and The Armorer:

“You expect me to search the galaxy for the home of this creature and deliver it to a race of enemy sorcerers?”  "This is the way".

The disbelief in Pascal's voice and the sort of amused verbal shrug in Emily Swallow's makes the whole exchange.

Stop hitting the baby, dammit!!

So how many more times can I watch this series???  I really need S2 but I was spoiled by being able to binge watch S1.

Happy Star Wars GIF by Nerdist.com

Oh I'm glad you were able to spot that super-quick scene with Baby Yoda resting his hand on Mando's shoe!  I could envision a human child doing something like that in the same scenario -- touching his father's shoe so he would know he was there with him.  I thought it was also interesting because the baby was worried about Mando and seemed to be trying to figure out what he should do to help (that Mando would allow him to do, without pushing him away), but also because he was seeing the Mythosaur pendant for the first time as Mando handed it to Cara, and was learning that it was something significant to Mando in terms of being a Mandalorian.  That made their final scene together (later) even more meaningful, when Mando/Din let his precious new green bundle of joy keep the pendant.

Killing off both Kuiil and IG-11 in the same season was very Walking Dead-ish to me!   I would expect to see two major characters get killed off in the same season on TWD or pretty much any series on AMC, but I wasn't quite expecting it on a Disney+ show!

Every time I watch Chapter 8 I get so mad when they're hitting the baby.  Even though I know what is going to happen to those Troopers, I still get angry.   The poor little thing has just seen Kuiil die, and he has no clue if Mando/Din is going to die -- you can see the worry in his face as Kuiil carries him away when Mando, Greef and Cara walk off into the distance in Chapter 7.  Plus, he's already fallen to the ground or been dropped in previous episodes (by Toro in Chapter 5 & Mayfeld in Chapter 6).  He's had a gun pointed at him (by Toro), he was almost killed (in Chapter 4) and has been chased by a droid trying to kill him (Zero in Chapter 6).  Mando has tried more than once to leave him alone on the ship.  And Lord only knows what they were doing to him when he was with the doctor and The Client in Chapter 3, when Mando left him there even after hearing his cry.   Plus... we don't even know who was keeping him when Mando and IG-11  found him in Chapter 1.  

The baby had seen and been through enough, and then got punched repeatedly after all of that!  I hope there's no more of that abusive nonsense in Season 2, but IF there is, at least we know the Child might be able to Force-choke someone if necessary.

We don't have very long to wait for Season 2!!  Two months from today, we might already be watching it -- or we will at least be gearing up to watch it shortly thereafter. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
On 8/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, TVFan17 said:

The baby had seen and been through enough, and then got punched repeatedly after all of that!  I hope there's no more of that abusive nonsense in Season 2, but IF there is, at least we know the Child might be able to Force-choke someone if necessary.

He is pretty durable after all of that, lol.  I do recall Yoda getting dropped when he was training Luke and being none the worse for wear (and he was 800+ yrs) so maybe they are a tough species.    Having those troopers hit the baby made us root for IG to whack them.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, TVFan17 said:

I thought it was also interesting because the baby was worried about Mando and seemed to be trying to figure out what he should do to help (that Mando would allow him to do, without pushing him away), but also because he was seeing the Mythosaur pendant for the first time as Mando handed it to Cara, and was learning that it was something significant to Mando in terms of being a Mandalorian.  That made their final scene together (later) even more meaningful, when Mando/Din let his precious new green bundle of joy keep the pendant.

ITA.  It is really amazing how the show has managed to show the bond grow between the two of them, with so little dialogue and no facial expressions from Din/Mando.    When I first watched it, I knew about the child but I didn't realize he was the mark in the first episode and would be in each one afterwards - I had tried not to be spoiled - so this season was a pleasant surprise.  I've really enjoyed the adventure of the week format and hope they stick with that in S2.  Now I'll be suffering each week with everyone else, waiting for the next episode 🙂

• Love 2

I just watched the pre-credits sequence and had to stop to come in and say that was hilarious. From the stormtroopers not being able to hit a can with their blasters to the nanny-bot saving the day . . . that was just some quality entertainment.  (Also, people who punch tiny, infant-looking creatures totally deserve to be torn apart by a nanny-bot.)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

. From the stormtroopers not being able to hit a can with their blasters to the nanny-bot saving the day . . . that was just some quality entertainment.

I always laugh when that one shakes the blaster near his ear, like there's something wrong with it 😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I signed up for Disney+ so I could watch Hamilton, but decided to check out The Mandalorian after hearing so much about it for the past... while.  I've lost all track of time!  And even though I knew about Baby Yoda, and had seen pictures and memes, I was not fully prepared for teh cute!  And I freely admit that I thought the first episode was just "meh" until Mando opened the floating bassinet.

But a few thoughts, now that I've watched the whole series:

1.  For such a bad ass, Mando gets the shit kicked out of him an awful lot.  

2. He also seems to get hurt a lot, despite this practically impervious Beskar armor.  

3. I was a little surprised that Cara stayed behind with Greef, but then she probably was getting bored beating the shit out of the random people on Sorgan.  

4. Kuill's death had me in tears.  Although I did think in the first two episodes, they were trying way too hard to make "I have spoken." a thing.  I was almost as sad that the blurrgs were killed, but it was necessary.  

5. It was nice to see IG again, especially with the change in his programming.  Too bad he had to have a necessary death as well.

6. I would have preferred that they not have showed us Mando's face -- keep the mystery alive for at least another season.

7. Mando's voice work and posture are excellent examples of why you don't need facial expressions to convey emotions.  If you have a good director and good voice work (see also "V for Vendetta"), the actor can be standing behind a wall and you know exactly what they're feeling. The Lion King could have taken a lesson -- better voice work would have helped that movie a lot.

8. I believe it was Moff Gideon checking on Fennec at the end of... whichever episode that was.

9. The Armorer is totally bad ass.  I hope she survived, and I hope we see her again.  That's how you take out storm troopers without getting your ass handed to you, Mando!

10. Of course Moff Gideon survived the TIE crash.  I'm not terribly familiar with the EU, so I had no idea about a dark saber -- I'll have to look that up -- I just thought it was a funky-looking light saber.

11. So glad Mando got his jet pack!  That whole battle with all the other Mandalorians was really well done!  

12.  If Cara is from Alderaan, seems like she would at least have heard of Princess Leia.

I probably have more thoughts, but mostly now, I'm ready for Season 2!

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I signed up for Disney+ so I could watch Hamilton, but decided to check out The Mandalorian after hearing so much about it for the past... while.  I've lost all track of time!  And even though I knew about Baby Yoda, and had seen pictures and memes, I was not fully prepared for teh cute!  And I freely admit that I thought the first episode was just "meh" until Mando opened the floating bassinet.

But a few thoughts, now that I've watched the whole series:

1.  For such a bad ass, Mando gets the shit kicked out of him an awful lot.  

2. He also seems to get hurt a lot, despite this practically impervious Beskar armor.  

8. I believe it was Moff Gideon checking on Fennec at the end of... whichever episode that was.

12.  If Cara is from Alderaan, seems like she would at least have heard of Princess Leia.

1 & 2. His armour may protect against energy, but it doesn't stop basic force. A baseball bat would knock him senseless.

8. People have analysed the sound at the end, and it apparently sounds a lot like Boba Fett in the SE. Of course, the sound effect could have been reused to throw everyone off the trail.

12. Apparently the truth of Leia's parentage comes out nearly 20 years later. She's currently known as a war hero and politician, not a Force-wielder.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

People have analysed the sound at the end, and it apparently sounds a lot like Boba Fett in the SE. Of course, the sound effect could have been reused to throw everyone off the trail.

Okay, here's where my knowledge of the EU would have come in handy -- I read that about Boba Fett, but, because I'm not up on the EU, thought Boba was being digested in the Sarlacc pit.  I see now that that's not the case.  I think I'm going to stick with my Moff theory -- it makes more sense to me.  I'm open to being wrong, though!  

I will add, though, that the stormtroopers on the bikes both made me laugh (their bad aim), and furious (hitting Baby Yoda) at the same time.  So glad they got their comeuppance.  

One other thing -- I really wish Mando could have held on to one of those awesome floating bassinets!  So useful!  And now he doesn't even have Kuill to build another one.  

Edited by Browncoat
Weird double post in the same post
  • Love 3

I've now watched the series three times but this third time I had the benefit of having just binged the two animated series: Clone Wars and Rebels.  That being said . . . I'm STILL confused as to how Mof Gideon could have the dark saber.  But then, I'm completely confused as to how, at the start of this series, the Mandalorians have been reduced to a small group of mercenaries who live in the sewers and who are supposed to only come out one at a time so that no one realizes how many of them there are.  There are a few hints however that I picked up.

One Mandalorian mentions "The Purge" and another says "Our world was shattered by the Empire."  Later on someone (Moff Gideon if I recall correctly) makes reference to the "Siege of Mandalore" and the "Night of a Thousand Tears."  Those names are evocative enough for me to make some assumptions about a catastrophic outcome to all that we saw of Mandalore in the Rebels animated series.  I can even fan-wank that Mandalore no longer exists (they all lived in a domed city on an otherwise desolate planet, right?) and that the group now calling themselves "Mandalorians" in THIS series may include very few ethnic Mandalorians.  Our hero Mando reveals that he is not of Mandalore -- he was adopted by them when they rescued him from a droid onslaught on some other planet during the Clone Wars.  The faction that rescued him must have been a rogue unit of Mandalorians who refused to stay neutral in that war because my recollection is that Mandalore's official policy was to stay out of that fight.   

This whole business of adopting foundlings reminds me of stories I have read about some Native American tribes having a practice of adopting children from other tribes (which is a major plot point for one of the characters in the "Outlander" saga.)  I also assumed that the rule of never revealing one's face (which was clearly NOT the case in the two animated series) was born out of a desire to mask the fact that the "Mandalorians" now include many different species.  As someone says in the episode "Mandalorian isn't a race.  It's a creed."  But I think that is a relatively recent development.  They might just as well have said "Mandalorian isn't a race anymore."

So the story told in this final episode of the season is simply catastrophic to the remaining Mandalorians -- both the race and those who were not born of Mandalore but now follow it's creed.  I know they had to move after they came to Mando's aid in an earlier episode, but based on the pile of armor left behind in this episode, I think we are supposed to assume that the evacuation was mostly unsuccessful.  Why else would they leave all that beskar behind, given how valuable it is to them?

So while I'm happy that Mando Din Djarin and The Child get away, this episode (which also includes the death of IG-11 and the aftermath of the death of Kuiil) is just so very sad.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I've now watched the series three times but this third time I had the benefit of having just binged the two animated series: Clone Wars and Rebels.  That being said . . . I'm STILL confused as to how Mof Gideon could have the dark saber.  But then, I'm completely confused as to how, at the start of this series, the Mandalorians have been reduced to a small group of mercenaries who live in the sewers and who are supposed to only come out one at a time so that no one realizes how many of them there are.  There are a few hints however that I picked up.

At some point, the Empire came for Mandalore and looted both darksabre and beskar. This might have splintered the Mando culture, though there were always outliers to start with. The group we've seen choose to hide in the sewers and hide their faces. I'm not sure why, considering the Empire is now on the decline. That's what I'd like to see. Enough of the kid, give me some more backstory.

7 hours ago, Anduin said:

At some point, the Empire came for Mandalore and looted both darksabre and beskar. This might have splintered the Mando culture, though there were always outliers to start with. The group we've seen choose to hide in the sewers and hide their faces. I'm not sure why, considering the Empire is now on the decline. That's what I'd like to see. Enough of the kid, give me some more backstory.

During the Clone Wars, Maul triggered a civil war on Mandalore that plunged the planet into chaos. Eventually, Palpatine exploited this situation to co-opt / kill / exile Mandalorians. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, paigow said:

During the Clone Wars, Maul triggered a civil war on Mandalore that plunged the planet into chaos. Eventually, Palpatine exploited this situation to co-opt / kill / exile Mandalorians. 

Ah, fair enough. I never checked out the return of TCW.

1 hour ago, paigow said:

Eventually, Palpatine exploited this situation to co-opt / kill / exile Mandalorians. 

I think you are correct but we haven't actually SEEN that within a canon series, right?  

Edited by WatchrTina

In the final season of RebelsBo-Katan took ownership of the Darksaber and prepared for another battle with the Empire. However, the series then left Mandalore and never returned. So her eventual defeat by Moff Gus has never been shown.

• Love 2

Well, I just watched this episode for the fourth time and I declare this to be my favorite episode.  

It's not perfect mind you. Moff Gideon's decision to give them until the end of the day to surrender makes NO sense but let's just hand-wave that away.  Oh and while we're at it, let's hand-wave away the fact that none of the good guys shot Gideon while he was villain-monologuing, nor during the fire-fight that followed, despite the fact that he was wearing no helmet and made no effort to take cover. 

Most of the best points about this ep have already been mentioned so I'm just going a call out a few small moments that I love.

• When Mando comes out of their bunker to face down that horde of stormtroopers, that has to be one of the most bad-ass Mando sequences of the entire series.  (And that is saying something.)
  • It was cute (but predicable) that Cara didn't want to get stuck holding the baby.  What surprised and delighted me was later on when she successfully operated the Star Wars version of a Gatling gun one-handed, while still holding the baby.  (Women. Can. Multitask.)
  • I also loved when Cara dragged Mando to safety -- particularly because it's clearly Gina Carano dragging a full grown man in a heavy costume and not Gina's stunt double.  I just LOVE when this show shows off Gina's physical prowess.
  • During the flashback to Din Djarin's childhood, when the Mandalorian soldier reached out his hand to young Din, did anyone else hear the words "Come with me if you want to live" in their heads?  No?  Okay, just me then.
  • I loved that the shot of young Din looking over the shoulder of his rescuer as he is carried to safety is mirrored at the end of the episode with a shot of The Baby looking over the shoulder of the adult Din Djarin as he is carried to safety.
  • Can we just take a moment to appreciate that the Armorer took out all those stormtroopers using only her blacksmithing tools?  She clearly has access to every weapon available to the Mandalorians since she MAKES them, but she chooses to face down the enemy with only her hammer and tongs.  The women in this episode are so bad-ass.
  • I completely geeked out when the droid operating the barge STOOD UP.  A tall R2 unit.  Words fail me.
  • I loved the moment during the aerial fight when Mando first tries to attach a bomb to Gideon's ship and he can't because of centrifugal force  -- the effect of the spinning ship drags his arm down and rips the first bomb out of his fingers. It's little moments like that that make these fantasy fights ring true.

And last but not least I have to profess my love for the writer of this series -- Jon Favreau -- because in this episode he give us a double-dose of character growth.  First we have Mando accepting the Armorer's charge that the baby is now a foundling in his care in accordance with the traditions of his people, and then we have Mando trying to prevent IG-11 -- a droid -- from sacrificing himself.

I love this series.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 7

I only recently watched this and most of what I thought has already been stated, especially the part about Moff Gideon pontificating and giving them time to surrender.

Do we really know that the Child is a he?  Sure seems like a she to me.

And, now for the really Unpopular Opinion - Mando's cape is really stupid!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I only recently watched this and most of what I thought has already been stated, especially the part about Moff Gideon pontificating and giving them time to surrender.

Do we really know that the Child is a he?  Sure seems like a she to me.

One of the doctors that examined The Child explicitly said "he". So...boy, he is! 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Or maybe whatever they are, they're gender fluid!

Maybe it's just the little robe looking like a little dress.  But the cape is still stupid.

Not only did Dr. Pershing refer to The Child as a "him," but Omera (on Sorgan, the krill-farming planet) referred to him as a he ("He's very happy here") and also said something along the lines of "You and your boy could have a good life... he could be a child for a while..."  Cara Dune said "It's going to break his little heart" when Mando was talking about leaving "him" on Sorgan.

I am thinking that in the month or two (or however long it was) that Mando and The Child were on Sorgan, Omera probably helped care for him -- including bathing, or teaching Mando how to bathe him, properly put him to sleep, etc.  Some sort of cleansing situation had to go on.  So she might have figured out that he was a little boy on her own!  lol

Original Yoda wore robes too, but they were styled a bit differently than Baby Yoda's robe.  Maybe the babies of the Yoda species get the bulky, closed robes that cover their necks so they don't get cold, and then, when they age, they get other robes.

I think the robe is adorable on The Child because it's oversized, and he can bury half of his face in it.  It just adds to his cuteness for me.  It makes him look more childlike and vulnerable.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Oh you are so right.  Did you see how he had to scrunch it to the side when he put on the jet pack?  Yeah, that piece of clothing is going to be a liability at some point.  To quote Edna Mode from the movie The Incredibles, "No capes!"

• Love 5
On 9/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, WatchrTina said:

To quote Edna Mode from the movie The Incredibles, "No capes!"

Lando Calrissian: [The Lego Movie] Nice space cape, brother! [Talking to Lego Batman]

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

Way behind but finally watched this over the past 2 weeks. I don’t mind Star Wars but I’ve had mixed feelings of the last few movies.

This series has more than made up for it.  I was entertained from start to finish. 

one question: who were the two goofy storm troopers who hit Baby Yoda? They sound familiar. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

one question: who were the two goofy storm troopers who hit Baby Yoda? They sound familiar.

They were played by Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally.  They were trending when this episode initially streamed and lets just say people were not loving on them.  Mistreating Baby Yoda is pretty much a death sentence for a character.

This show likes to hire comedians in some of the guest roles.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Way behind but finally watched this over the past 2 weeks. I don’t mind Star Wars but I’ve had mixed feelings of the last few movies.

This series has more than made up for it.  I was entertained from start to finish. 

Another fun fact is that Adam Pally played the one who punched Baby Yoda, and he punched him so hard the first time that Taika or Favreau, I forget who, had to remind him that Baby Yoda is a $5million puppet and to not hit it so hard.  In the next few takes, Adam was so nervous to hit him again that he missed.  I think I heard Adam say that they had to use the first take because it was the only one where he actually hit him. 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, TVFan17 said:

This fleeting moment suggests that the final Baby Yoda scene in the episode, in which Mando lets him keep the pendant, is even more curious.  Did Baby take the pendant out from wherever he was hiding it so that Mando would see that he had it, in case Mando wanted it back?  Or was Baby planning to keep it?  Either way, he got to keep it, which was precious.  Not only was Mando letting his newly-christened son keep this pendant that was important to him, but Baby knew that it was important to Mando and he probably wanted to hold onto it because of that.  In other words, it's not just Baby Yoda clinging to a shiny new toy (although that's part of it too!).  He wants to keep the pendant because it belongs to Daddy -- who almost died -- and means something to him, just as any child might want to keep a valued or treasured item that means something to their parent(s).

This is an excellent take on the scene.  I always thought that Mando told him to hold on to the pendant because Baby Yoda is an honorary Mandalorian now, and also - probably more importantly - because if anything ever happens to Mando, then whoever finds Baby Yoda will know because of the pendant to take him to the Mandalorians.  I assumed it's a bit of a ID badge for the little guy, I guess.

• Love 4

Good to see we’re back to Stormtroopers that can’t hit a can at five paces! And they completely forgot about the three armed individuals they had been guarding as soon as Chekov’s droid attacked. And I really loved the way IG11 kept flipping his orientation around to protect his charge during his attack. Those assassin droids are really well designed and can take a lot of punishment before going down.

Hey - Momma Mando is pretty Badass!

Teared up a little at Baby Yoda saying goodbye to “Auntie” and “Uncle” (well, I would if my heart wasn't made of stone).

I know it was meant to be a stinger, but it was so obvious Moff Gus Fring wasn’t dead when his ship (amazingly) didn’t explode when it crashed. Is he a Sith? Not officially, maybe, but he's clearly modelling himself on Darth Vader and has his own light (well, dark) sabre. Maybe he wants Lil' Yoda to unlock the secret of becoming Force Sensitive?

On 12/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, Kostgard said:

I also can’t believe Gus Fring fell prey to the classic villain blunder - he monologued then left his enemy alone and unsupervised, allowing them to escape.

I would have said that he needed them alive (or at least, needed to get hold of Baby Yoda alive and needed to learn where he was) but then he sent in the flamethrower guys even once The Child was inside! I guess it was a case of "Alive if possible, Dead if necessary" - clearly Werner Herzog preferred a live specimen to run tests on, but a dead specimen is better than nothing.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, Rushmoras said:

whether IG-11 sacrifice was really necessary. Could have shot their way-out. The chance of stormtroopers hitting them was one million to one.

Not only that, but they could have stopped the boat drifting by grabbing the pole from the dead droid and jamming it into the wall. Sure, they'd  have to leave eventually but it would give them a couple of minutes to plan. And maybe if IG-11 had climbed along the walls (he seemed more than capable of doing so) he could have surprised the troopers outside without self destructing (although maybe he is just suicidal - he seemed pretty keen to self destruct when we last saw him).

On 12/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, AnimeMania said:

Interesting that lava only effects people if they touch it, nobody ever feels the heat, even standing in a metal boat.

Hey, I saw a documentary about it (involving thirteen dwarfs, a small guy and a dragon) and they proved it’s totally possible.

• LOL 1

This was a good finale to a solid first season.  I was hoping the nurse droid would survive and continue on the show as a remnant of Kuill, so it was sad to see its sacrifice so soon, though the goodbye was moving.  Maybe Mando will be more open to droids in the future because of this experience.  The setup for the reveal of Mando's face was well done.  Still, it's a shame to see characters that work well with the protagonist be lost.  I would have looked forward to another season even more with the prospect of seeing Kuill or IG-11.  I'm glad Greef and Cora survived, as they have grown on me.  I hope the Armorer survived.  This show is a pretty good balance of drama, comedy and action, a rarity these days.  The villain surviving in the end was predictable and tiresome, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

This was a good finale to a solid first season.  I was hoping the nurse droid would survive and continue on the show as a remnant of Kuill, so it was sad to see its sacrifice so soon, though the goodbye was moving.  Maybe Mando will be more open to droids in the future because of this experience.  The setup for the reveal of Mando's face was well done.  Still, it's a shame to see characters that work well with the protagonist be lost.  I would have looked forward to another season even more with the prospect of seeing Kuill or IG-11.  I'm glad Greef and Cora survived, as they have grown on me.  I hope the Armorer survived.  This show is a pretty good balance of drama, comedy and action, a rarity these days.  The villain surviving in the end was predictable and tiresome, though.

Always nice to see a new fan!  I'm glad you enjoyed the first season!

• Love 1