Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2020 Season

• Start Topic

That meeting with the aide telling those older men to remove their mask is definitely eye opening, aside from the Trump fiasco. What a disaster. And that picture with Stephen Miller's wife with no mask on is definitely worth a thousand words here.

• Love 7

Sorry, Rach, but Nina Totenberg was def NOT the big get you were making her out to be.  Honestly, I didn't understand her assessment of today's Supreme Court happenings.  She sounded dramatic, but babbled a word salad.  Fail, Rach -- you need to book Chuck, Joyce and/or Barb ASAP!!!  

• Love 3

Jeez, I never even thought that Barr could be behind Burr getting his phone taken away.  Still, be careful with throwing this stuff out there, Rach.

I’m so glad Barb was around to cheerfully (& realistically) throw cold water on Rachel’s possible scenario behind the Burr news.  Yay, Barb!

• Love 1

Wow.  Rachel actually showed a video clip of the president.  Devastating for me - if only my three family members who were diagnosed with early stage breast cancer after it was detected on a mammogram had not had that annual check.  They never would have had cancer.  How could they have been so misguided?  

I really want to know what made Rachel 22 seconds late.  it is Friday, so perhaps she was mixing a cocktail?  

• Love 7

Huh, I don’t think I have ever seen a scheduled 90-minute show for Rachel, which she has tonight — she has continued to a second hour on some election nights, but that’s different.  And “The 11th Hour” is also 90 minutes, starting when Rachel ends at :30 past the hour.  Guess they found out people like me switch when there is an LO’D guest, because I don’t even watch him.  So, wipe out that hour.  

• Love 1

Nah, they had 90 minute shows all evening starting with Ari Melber. 

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Rachel was not in favor of the extension.  Although, "Why not, time has no meaning."

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Rachel was not in favor of the extension.  Although, "Why not, time has no meaning."

For seven million dollars a year or whatever they pay her, she ought to be professional enough to slog through an extra goddamn half hour without the constant bitching.  Very reminiscent of that time she whined and complained on the air about having to work on a holiday.  30 million people are out of work, Rachel.  Be grateful you have a fucking job.

And honestly, I've long thought that extending the prime time shows to cover when someone is scheduled to be off would be infinitely better than corralling some poor daytime host to do double duty.  Why can't Rachel do two hours on Friday night and be off on Monday while LOD does two hours, or something like that?  Or when one of them has a vacation week, do exactly what they did tonight--the other two prime time hosts do 1 1/2 hrs?  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Nah, they had 90 minute shows all evening starting with Ari Melber. 

Thanks, I had not realized it was part of the longer schedule for the day.  

55 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Or when one of them has a vacation week, do exactly what they did tonight--the other two prime time hosts do 1 1/2 hrs?  

I have to say that it is more creative to have the 90-minute shows than seeing one of the daytime hosts again as a substitute, trying to recreate a rhythm and format that is not their rhythm.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, freddi said:

I have to say that it is more creative to have the 90-minute shows than seeing one of the daytime hosts again as a substitute, trying to recreate a rhythm and format that is not their rhythm.  

I also think it would help the ratings.  Most people, I suspect, turn off the show when they see there's a sub.  And my first thought is usually to feel bad for the person who had to do their daytime show and then come back six or eight hours later and try to replicate someone else's format.

I'm still annoyed at Rachel's petty whining.  Especially since it looks like Rachel has Monday off and LOD is doing a 1 1/2 hour show (although it might be a clip show).  Chris also had to do 1 1/2 hours tonight and he didn't complain.  

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm still annoyed at Rachel's petty whining.

I didn't think it was petty at all, nor was it even whining. For someone who is the star of her network and brings in an awful lot of viewers and ads, she is a workhorse and seldom takes holidays.

I think there's a lot more going on behind the scenes that is making Rachel frazzled. She inferred that there was no boss to take her complaints to. Guess since they got rid of Andy Lack (was that his name?) there are some problems with management or lack of. With a pandemic going on and a tutti-frutti president, I would imagine most newsrooms are in a bit of a kerfuffle.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

And my first thought is usually to feel bad for the person who had to do their daytime show and then come back six or eight hours later and try to replicate someone else's format.

They should just suck it up and do their job, after all, they should be grateful they have a job.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, shok said:

She inferred that there was no boss to take her complaints to. Guess since they got rid of Andy Lack (was that his name?) there are some problems with management or lack of.

Yes, I heard her implication the same way.  But IMNSHO, it is unprofessional to bring an internal problem on the air with you.  Maybe because I was trained as a nurse never to show any behind the scenes turmoil to a patient; for example, never tell a patient you're working short-staffed.  For the amount of money she makes, having to throw in an extra lousy half hour one time is hardly an appropriate reason to complain in public.  The last thing a viewer wants to think is that the host doesn't want to be there or is pissed about being there.  

YMMV, of course.  

• Love 4

Yeah, Rachel going on about working another half-hour made my eyes roll pretty darn hard.  I was a bit annoyed, but I got over it quickly when she kept referring (more than a few times) to our "terrible" government.  That gave me a much needed giggle -- and it reminded me how Rachel is the ONLY cable host who says this outright.  I appreciate her so much for this.  So if she complains a bit for having to be on for another half-hour, it's OK by me.

Also, keep in mind what's required of Rachel & her production staff to be on for another half-hour.  Sure, she gets paid well, but it's a lot of work -- particularly if she's asked to do this with little advanced notice.

My only complaint on Rachel is her lack of coverage of anything but the virus.  OK, she had Schiff there & discussed Flynn for maybe 2 minutes out of her 90 minute show.  Look, her virus coverage is absolutely essential, but she really does need to take a break from it & cover other stuff.  Jeez, we do have an exceptionally important election fast approaching.  Hopefully, someone near her will nudge her off the grim & hopeless & depressing virus news & cover more politics.

• Love 5
On 5/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, Cyranetta said:

actually didn't find that she was complaining, just joking, but I did get the impression that it was a change that was sprung on her without much opportunity for preparation.

Yeah, this was the first time they've ever done this all evening 90 minute format that I can remember.  Since Rachel and her staff prepare for a 60 minute show, to suddenly have an extra 30 minutes  to fill must have been a "you've gotta be kidding me" moment. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah, this was the first time they've ever done this all evening 90 minute format that I can remember.  Since Rachel and her staff prepare for a 60 minute show, to suddenly have an extra 30 minutes  to fill must have been a "you've gotta be kidding me" moment. 

I don't want to keep beating the dead horse, but my cable guide and my DVR knew that the shows were 90 minutes, and it knew on Friday that LOD was going to run 90 minutes on Monday, so this scheduling change can't have been too last-minute.

I actually really enjoyed LOD last night.  He didn't have to rush through his guests like he usually does.  The three prime time hosts might want to plan this once in a while, especially if it gives them more time off.

• Love 3
(edited)

That governor(AZ?) was really beyond redemption there. Rachel should play that clip in a loop. I couldn't believe the lack of responsibility there. It was Twilight Zone madness.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

I felt like Rachel on her first block was channeling my fear, my disgust, my anger and my disbelief on the American army being sic on the American people on the streets of DC...

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I felt like Rachel on her first block was channeling my fear, my disgust, my anger and my disbelief on the American army being sic on the American people on the streets of DC...

Damn.  Rachael doesn't let her mask slip often - but her anguish last night was palpable.

• Love 8
(edited)

Wow, was it my imagination or did Rach cut off LOD really quickly?  She gave a look that said, I am so not up for shmoozing with you now.  Could it also be she's nauseated that what she's predicted about the virus skyrocketing back is coming true -- all while (as she points out every nite) the Trump admin not just handles it horribly, but is now completely ignoring it?   Ugh.

And yeah, she showed Cuomo talking about the virus & sure, he's consistently handled that well, but what about how he is on the police treatment of protesters?  Eh, not so great.  Comment on that, Rach -- if you're gonna show him, get on all of what he's saying.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Wow, was it my imagination or did Rach cut off LOD really quickly?  She gave a look that said, I am so not up for shmoozing with you now.  Could it also be she's nauseated that what she's predicted about the virus skyrocketing back is coming true -- all while (as she points out every nite) the Trump admin not just handles it horribly, but is now completely ignoring it?   Ugh.

And yeah, she showed Cuomo talking about the virus & sure, he's consistently handled that well, but what about how he is on the police treatment of protesters?  Eh, not so great.  Comment on that, Rach -- if you're gonna show him, get on all of what he's saying.

I believe Chris Hayes was talking about that as well last night.

• Love 1

Wow, there was a Rach interview tonite where she was relentlessly tough & hard-nosed.  I don’t EVER remember seeing her conduct an interview that way.  But the Buffalo Mayor was giving her bloodless, typical politician answers & she clearly wasn’t having it.  Did she accomplish anything?  Well, the Buffalo Mayor  finally put blame on the police union, so yeah, she did.

And zeroing in on the giganto Black Lives Matter painted on the DC streets was awesome.

• Love 7

You know, as I watched Rachel’s latest updates on the virus — and she confirms the spikes in AZ & UT & other places are EXACTLY as she predicted, I was thinking . . . Is Rachel now alone in doing this? Yes, as she said, Trump has abandoned any acknowledgment of the virus, but has most of media too?  It looks like CNN & MSNBC now just does protester coverage & anything related to police & that’s about it.

So glad Rachel is so determined to follow COVID.

• Love 2

Rachel isn't the only one covering the pandemic.  I've watched CNN and MSNBC over the past few days and they now seem to be splitting coverage between the pandemic and the protester coverage. 

• Love 2
(edited)

No Rach tonite.  Aw, what the fudge, man?  I get anxious when I turn on MSNBC at 9 & Rach ain't there.  Well, yeah, they're ALL talkin' about the virus now & how Trump is ignoring it.  Still think Rach relentlessly stuck to covering it, while most others moved off it.  Come back soon, Rach.  Please.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

Just when I think bad things can't get worse, Rachel reports on the funniest thing all week.

Cruise ships to house Republican delegates in Jacksonville during their convention.  Cause what could go wrong? LOL 

• Love 8
On 6/13/2020 at 8:53 AM, tres bien said:

Just when I think bad things can't get worse, Rachel reports on the funniest thing all week.

Cruise ships to house Republican delegates in Jacksonville during their convention.  Cause what could go wrong? LOL 

It is almost SNL comedy gold there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

For about the first ten minutes of the show Rachel was giving a rundown of states with COVID spikes but when she got to Texas,  I was laughing. 

She is brilliant with her tongue in cheek sarcasm.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

June 22nd.  Welcome to The Rachel Maddow Show. 

Dark, depressing and scary. Enjoy.

Yeah, well, as Rach says — that could describe any show on a day ending with a “y”.  At least Rach is covering more than  just the awful COVID news.  But isn’t it all awful, horrible news right now?  And Rach isn’t endlessly playing Orange Monster clips, like every other noodnick on CNN & MSNBC does.  I’m sticking with Rach — in spite of the always crappy, depressing news.  Sigh, November 3rd can’t come fast enough for me.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 16
(edited)

Rachel is on fire tonight, 6/24, "The worst American governance in the history of the United states", please say it again Rachel for the people in the back.  Rachel has no fucks to give when it comes to the response of our government regarding everything that has been going on in our country...

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 16

Rach does seem to be making an effort to point out a “glimmer of hope” when she can — but what can we expect on that score?  It’s pretty hard to do right now.

Still, she did look to be enjoying how Roger Stone’s effort to put off going to jail failed & the judge forced him to report to prison in 2 weeks.  Ah, I liked that too!  It’s nice to note when Trump & his awful crew actually aren’t getting away with every kind of crooked & evil shit imaginable.  Seems to NEVER happen, so these kind of stories are much appreciated (now, more than ever), Rach — keep ‘em coming whenever, you can!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Still, she did look to be enjoying how Roger Stone’s effort to put off going to jail failed & the judge forced him to report to prison in 2 weeks.

She did, but I was very surprised she didn't mention the possibility of him escaping jail altogether by getting a pardon.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

She did, but I was very surprised she didn't mention the possibility of him escaping jail altogether by getting a pardon.

Ah, but she did.  She said, with some serious eye rolls & deep sarcasm, how pardoning Stone would be such a great move to do -- mere months before the election, to pardon someone convicted of 7 federal charges connected to his affecting the last election.  Sure, he still might pardon Stone, but I'm looking forward to watching Rach enjoy his well-deserved march to prison.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4

Rachel's first block where she recounted the many ways over generations where people, legislators, civil rights leaders including a much younger Stacey Abrams via a photo worked tirelessly through legislation, protests and boycotts to remove the confederate flag from southern states to no avail was something to behold.  The fact that Mississippi with it's very dark history was able to vote to remove the confederate flag was monumental.   The most beautiful thing was that Medgar Evers widow Myrlie Evers was present when the old confederate flag was brought down, the impossible became possible.. Hope springs eternal, indeed...

• Love 11

You see, this is the reason I prefer Rachel Maddox over Chris Coumo. While I appreciate experts like Gupta and doctors on his show, it's when he gives the platform to the others who spin their tales that I refused to listen to. I think Rachel is more my liking and I am sticking to it. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

You see, this is the reason I prefer Rachel Maddox over Chris Coumo. While I appreciate experts like Gupta and doctors on his show, it's when he gives the platform to the others who spin their tales that I refused to listen to. I think Rachel is more my liking and I am sticking to it. 

That drives me crazy too & I change the channel or skip forward til "that person" goes away.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Damn it, Rachel, 47 is NOT old.  Trust me on this.  

I really wish she’d stop with that.  I cringe when she says this.  I get that she’s mocking herself & it’s part of her shtick & her “charm”, but does she realize these kind of comments merely add to the ageist biases which already exist?

I’m not looking to pick on Rach cuz we need her now more than ever, but if she feels she must comment on feeling old, how about just noting how reporting on Trump & his horrible shit every nite is ageing her?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I get that she’s mocking herself & it’s part of her shtick & her “charm”, but does she realize these kind of comments merely add to the ageist biases which already exist?

And when you're 15 years older than she is, as I am, it's more than annoying to be told that she is old.  She is not old.  Every time she presents something as an ancient history lesson that I lived through and remember, she reminds me that she is not old.  I literally still have a winter coat that's older than she is.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I literally still have a winter coat that's older than she is.

Wait, you still have a coat from when you were 14?

I'm also older than Rachel and want to let her know that 47 is NOT ancient.

• Love 4

Which is one of the many reasons I enjoy Rachel. Sure, she will present the grim story, but she is always engaging to me. Hayes is okay in certain areas. Sometimes he is good at others, but sometimes he is a bit much to engage into. However, when it comes to Chris Coumo, he will do these scenarios I don't agree with and sometimes have very opinionated guests on his show. Not the doctors or frontline workers, but when a guest I know about or just read about comes on the show, I have to walk out. My parents are big Coumo fans, but there are moments he could annoy me than Hayes. I know Rachel has her peccadillos, but it is not annoying as Chris. Chris could be a bit much sometimes.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, cynicat said:

Wait, you still have a coat from when you were 14?

Yes.  Oddly, I hated it at the time.  I wanted a black coat and my mother insisted I get it in gold.  Eventually I grew to love it and I've saved it all these years, through many moves.  Even has the original buttons.

6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Which is one of the many reasons I enjoy Rachel. Sure, she will present the grim story, but she is always engaging to me. Hayes is okay in certain areas.

Rachel is always trying to tell it as a story instead of just the facts, ma'am.  Most of the time that works.  Occasionally, it doesn't.  Chris Hayes is more direct, but his politics are often far too liberal for me.

@ScoobieDoobs, what did you think of Rachel playing clips of 45 last night?  It was a little shocking that she ran several, but I noticed they didn't run a nanosecond longer than necessary to get the point across.

• Love 3