Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2020 Season

• Start Topic

Just watched Stephen Colbert's interview with Mary Trump, and I couldn't help thinking how much better Stephen, a comedian, did eliciting good information and Mary Trump's insight as a psychologist than did Rachel, a veteran journalist.  And he even cited Rachel's question about ethnic slurs to get Mary to reveal more information about the culture in which her uncle was raised.

4 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

OK, so Rach ended the show last nite with a quick note that a fed judge was gonna rule on Michael Cohen being thrown back in prison.  Did she have a feeling something juicy was gonna happen with this?  If she did, she was right.  I suspect she’s gonna be a very happy puppy to discuss this story tonite . . .

So when Michael Cohen's book comes out (please, before November!), Rachel better be ready with slam dunk, bang up interview questions.

• Love 4

Remember when Rachel would play that audio of Michael Cohen trying to intimidate a reporter, in a vehemently curse-ridden rant?  Wouldn’t she quote it too (pretty often), always accompanied by a severely disgusted look on her face?  Yup, Rachel had zero poker face on what she thought of Michael Cohen.  So yeah, an interview with Michael Cohen, whether he writes a book or not, is one I’d watch!

Well, at least Rachel was certainly respectful to Mary, without being obsequious.  Meghan McCain on The View today was nasty & disrespectful to her & asked her idiotic questions.  Didn’t matter cuz Mary held her own & came off very strong.  Oddly, I thought she came off stronger in the poorly produced, disjointed interview she did on The View than she did with Rach.  Hmmm.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Remember when Rachel would play that audio of Michael Cohen trying to intimidate a reporter, in a vehemently curse-ridden rant?  Wouldn’t she quote it too (pretty often), always accompanied by a severely disgusted look on her face?  Yup, Rachel had zero poker face on what she thought of Michael Cohen.  So yeah, an interview with Michael Cohen, whether he writes a book or not, is one I’d watch!

Well, at least Rachel was certainly respectful to Mary, without being obsequious.  Meghan McCain on The View today was nasty & disrespectful to her & asked her idiotic questions.  Didn’t matter cuz Mary held her own & came off very strong.  Oddly, I thought she came off stronger in the poorly produced, disjointed interview she did on The View than she did with Rach.  Hmmm.

Mary putting Megan in her place was so damn awesome.... Megan is a vile thin-skinned idiot who believes she is a force to be reckon with..

Rachel is usually great in her interviews but she was off her game with Mary. I just feel it had to do to the fact that they were not in the same room so the interview did not flow well.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Rachel is usually great in her interviews but she was off her game with Mary. I just feel it had to do to the fact that they were not in the same room so the interview did not flow well.. 

Idk, I think Rachel was in fishing/vacay mode & the op to interview Mary sprung on her suddenly, so yeah, she was not her usual self.  In the end, it doesn't matter.  Mary's book immediately shot up to number 1 on the NY Times bestseller list & Rach is back to being as awesome as she always is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Well, Timothy Snyder (“On Tyranny”) gave me nightmares.  When I first saw the anonymous storm troopers on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial last month, I said, “Oh, they are getting ready for November 4, to help resist the election results.”  But when Prof. Snyder said they could interfere at polling places, I went “Darn, he’s right.”  No wonder they don’t want mail-in ballots.  Much harder to intimidate.  

Side note:  it might have been his microphone, but he had a voice that could etch granite.  

• Love 8

Is Nicolle still dating Michael Schmidt?  He was a guest on Brian Williams' show & looked really strange ... his hair was very black!!???

Also, I really don't mind when Ari fills in for Rachel ... he's SO passionate & talks about issues others don't.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Is Nicolle still dating Michael Schmidt?  He was a guest on Brian Williams' show & looked really strange ... his hair was very black!!???

Also, I really don't mind when Ari fills in for Rachel ... he's SO passionate & talks about issues others don't.

I think you mean Ali Velshi?  Ali is very intense...a different style from Rachel, but I like him

• Love 4

Yeah, Ali is one of those guys that’s really under the radar at MSNBC.  He’s not trying to get scoops or make trouble or argue with annoying & loathsome characters like Hayes or Melber.  He’s just a nice, intelligent guy.  He’s not a bad fill-in for Rach — that is, once I get over the angst I feel when not seeing her there.

But don’t get me wrong — if Rachel is out fucking fishing tonite, when one of the most dramatic days of the year happened in Congress today . . . and Ali shows up on my TV at 9?  I’ll be beyond pissed & Ali will go right off!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Rachel is out fishing —- grrrrr . . .

And did you notice how he tried to distract us with "Rachel has the night off, BUT we have passed a new milestone in COVID-19 deaths..." -- that is a nice try Ali, but I saw what you did there.  Not nice to make us think the "BUT" was going to be "she will be back tomorrow".  Nope, out for the week, unless some other relative publishes a tell-all book this week and agrees to an interview.  Happy fishin', Rachel, it is a hard slog coming.  

• Love 2

Other "anchors" get an uninterrupted week off, why shouldn't Rachel.  I miss her, but she has a really hard job in trying times.  I don't blame her for "checking out"!!!  Ali will be fine for the week ... just sayin'.

• Love 12

When Ali started talking about paintings, I thought it was going in the direction that there’d been a heist and I thought, “Rachel is going to be pissed she missed that!” Fortunately (?) it was just another form of Russian money laundering, the constant refrain of the Trump presidency with a new twist.

• Love 2

I couldn't get into the show this week.

It wasn't because of Ali. It was the redundancy of watching Chris and then Ali starting the show with the same subject most of the days.

I also don't like that when subbing the sub takes on the same demeanor and style as the regular host. But maybe they think that's what the viewers want.

18 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I also don't like that when subbing the sub takes on the same demeanor and style as the regular host. But maybe they think that's what the viewers want.

Yes, I find this a little creepy too. I know they all have a schtick and that what we see on screen isn’t them really, but it’s weird and off putting when the same exact schtick is coming out of the mouth of a completely different person. 

Having said that, despite this Ali has really been great this last week. Perhaps Rachel has caught enough fish to come back soon.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tres bien said:

I couldn't get into the show this week.

It wasn't because of Ali. It was the redundancy of watching Chris and then Ali starting the show with the same subject most of the days.

Same.  I listened to the start of each show, in case there was a fresh subject, but nope.  And on one or two nights, he did not say that "Rachel has the night off".  🤨

• Love 1

Rachel was a wonderful surprise last night, I did not expect her to be there, assuming she would be back next week. I loved how she was putting a spotlight on why the current administration wants to shut down the census count one month early despite asking for an extension.  She also touched upon on what has been going with the USPS.  The corruption and the shadiness made my head spin.. I am realizing more and more that America's democracy being special and above the corruption inherent in other countries has been an illusion and that hurts my soul...

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5

Yeah, look, I’m glad Rach is back & spotlighted Sally Yates & her strong performance before Congress, easily swatting away the Repub horribles & their idiotic conspiracy nonsense.  But other than Rach & Nicole, the rest of media mostly ignored the whole thing & Fox spun it to suit their purposes.

And while Rach spun the Times story of Deutsche Bank handing over Trump financials as some sort of gotcha moment we’re looking for — it really is not that at all.  Read the Times story & it states very clearly this is likely to lead nowhere.

No, she didn’t accomplish much last nite, but that’s OK.  Makes me feel much better that she’s around & avail to spotlight the latest lunacy & trickster crap of this administration, than her off fishing somewhere.

• Love 3

So did anyone else notice Rach described some bullshit/nonsense Trump said, but then played a clip of him on mute?  Rach was the ONLY ONE on TV to actually do that — despite everyone else on TV saying he’s lying, but then still playing those damned clips of him lying anyway.

The first 10 minutes of EVERY MSNBC show is a full-on display of Trump clips.  Not Rachel’s show.  Thank you again for coming back, Rachel!

• Love 4

I saw last night that MSNBC has gone back to showing Rachel three times a cycle -- I tuned in for the 1:00 AM* rerun of Brian Williams (it was hilarious last night), but there was Rachel.  And I see her on the same schedule tonight.  They used to have three Rachel airings each night, but not for years, after Brian Williams settled in.  (*Pacific Time here.)  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Sally Yates & her strong performance before Congress, easily swatting away the Repub horribles & their idiotic conspiracy nonsense.

That was disgusting to watch.  Every question was of the "When did you stop beating your wife?" variety.  I'm glad that Ms. Yates was unruffled and handled those questions easily.  I would have been furious, and it would have showed. 

One damn time I wish Rachel would mention that the British government does not sponsor or have anything to do with the British Open.  It makes the whole thing even more farcical. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Honestly I could care less about the British Open story.  I just feel like we're beating a dead horse here. 

I tend to agree, this administration has so many scandals that any particular one doesn't stand out.  But then I think back to February when people were complaining that Rachel was spending too much time on how the coronavirus was devastating Italy.  Maybe she's got a feeling that this particular illegal act might have legs, so to speak. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, freddi said:

I saw last night that MSNBC has gone back to showing Rachel three times a cycle -- I tuned in for the 1:00 AM* rerun of Brian Williams (it was hilarious last night), but there was Rachel.  And I see her on the same schedule tonight.  They used to have three Rachel airings each night, but not for years, after Brian Williams settled in.  (*Pacific Time here.)  

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one laughing!!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tres bien said:

Honestly I could care less about the British Open story.  I just feel like we're beating a dead horse here. 

Yeah, this story & the one on Vance getting Trump’s financials, she’s making sound way too dramatic.  Sorry, Rach, but these are just more “ho-hum” scandals among his zillions of ‘em — certainly worth discussing, but they’ll be forgotten by next week.

And her interview with “Tish” James?  Well, someone on CNN just interviewed her & sneered at her, while saying her timing is “suspicious” — which she didn’t strongly counter & was cut off before she had a chance to.  This is a Repub talking point to dismiss her.  Rachel should have spotlighted this in her interview.  If she did bring it up, it got lost, so this was not an effective interview.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

Such a great sentence from Rachel this evening, in a segment that wandered into the Ukraine and Russia and Rudy, "who is STILL THE PRESIDENT'S LAWYER" (emphasis Rachel), and then:  he (Rudy) is "digging up Russian dirt and bringing it back to launder into the American ecosystem."  

Very vivid.

• Love 3

OK, so Rach is making it her mission to spotlight the latest Trump/Repub trickster crap, but she needs to particularly focus in on what’s going on with the USPS cuz that Trumpie in charge of it is really ramping up his efforts to destroy it.  I’m enjoying her commentary on Trump’s coziness with Putie (along with the oddly non-stop strenuous Repub support), but she’s gotta be all over this awful PO situation.

• Love 4

I wasn’t scared watching Rach — I was hopeful.  First off, I was glad she was there & not off fishing.  And I was happy to see she’s shining a big huge spotlight on the rat/fuck who’s trying to screw up the USPS.  And I luved that she’s all over the latest on Flynn.  Looks to me like Rach is on top of her game & better than ever — exactly what we need right now.  Keep it up, Rach & stay all over ALL the rat/fucks & their endless dirty trickster crap!

• Love 5

It was interesting that Rachel admitted that she thought Harris would win the nomination. And, in retrospect, not a surprise—Harris tended to get the warmest welcome aside from personal friend Corey Booker.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, tres bien said:

It's like a horrible vicious cancer has taken over the country and  is eating it to death. 

Some of the things that Rachel finds to chuckle about (Kayne) aren't funny!

The Kanye situation is sad & weird & ridiculous.  I'm glad Rachel is following it, but is she making fun of it?  I don't see it that way.  It's far worse for Trump & Jared to be taking advantage of someone who could be mentally ill for their own purposes.

Rachel neglected to do follow-up tonite on the Trumpy lady she showed before, running her big butt off to get Kanye's ballot in on time.  Apparently, Ms. Trumpy Lawyer missed the deadline by 14 seconds!  So if he can't get on the ballot in Wisconsin -- and add in that awesome "help" from the big failure/loser Jared?  Well, this should provide Rachel with some great follow-up.

What Rachel is quite serious & clearly consistent about (and I'm so grateful for) is her spotlighting what's going on with the Postal Service.  I wouldn't be surprised if she covers it every nite, in addition to whatever local Repub trickster crap is going on with efforts for voter suppression.  Keep this up, Rach -- it's absolutely awesome!!!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Rachel neglected to do follow-up tonite on the Trumpy lady she showed before, running her big butt off to get Kanye's ballot in on time.  Apparently, Ms. Trumpy Lawyer missed the deadline by 14 seconds!  So if he can't get on the ballot in Wisconsin -- and add in that awesome "help" from the big failure/loser Jared?  Well, this should provide Rachel with some great follow-up.

Oh, that is hilarious.  Did Rachel's team show that footage a couple of times in succession?  It was already a funny visual.  (Not a funny situation at all, however.)

• Love 3

That Connecticut race should not have been that close with that Republican who was arrested for domestic violence, especially the Q-Non woman running for the Georgia GOP Senate. What is going with this party? They just threw dignity out the window. 

• Love 5

Idk, me thinks Rach is bargaining now with Michael Cohen to get that first interview -- maybe if she reads his whole book on air, she'll get it?  OK by me, Rach! 😊

Man, Rach really is ALL OVER how the Postal Service is being so screwed up & how it's gonna affect voting -- YAY, Rach!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

It's not just the postal service that Rachel is giving necessary coverage to, it's all the other shit going on in Trump world. USPS is getting lots of airtime on most networks and other news shows but Rachel is shining a light on so much else that is being passed over by other media, like the uprising in Belarus, and all the warnings about other autocrats and wannabes, and Trump's cabinet's shenanigans. These next 80 some days can't go fast enough for me. I just want to get past the election and Trump being swept out of office by a landslide so I can breathe easier for awhile, because watching Rachel's show is scaring the shit out of me.

• Love 7

It's great that on every MSNBC  show the hosts pound the USPS story like a drum. But how does that help us? 

I keep waiting for Rachel or someone to tell us what we, the people, can do. Because I feel helpless and seriously scared.

This actually affects me because we live in FL 6 months so we're legal residents and vote by mail.  I feel like I better hustle my butt back there and vote in person this year. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

It's great that on every MSNBC  show the hosts pound the USPS story like a drum. But how does that help us? 

I keep waiting for Rachel or someone to tell us what we, the people, can do. Because I feel helpless and seriously scared.

This actually affects me because we live in FL 6 months so we're legal residents and vote by mail.  I feel like I better hustle my butt back there and vote in person this year. 

It's up to Congress, they have oversight on the Executive branch, or I guess states can file lawsuits with their courts. 

You'll be okay in FL, that's the one state he said was "doing it correctly".  But I wouldn't wait around.  Get your ballot ASAP and mail it in. 

10 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

dk, me thinks Rach is bargaining now with Michael Cohen to get that first interview -- maybe if she reads his whole book on air, she'll get it?  OK by me, Rach! 😊

I lmao when she said the White House response was "this book is fan fiction", and her response was "I don't think they know what fan fiction is". 

So what do we think, Cohen slipped in a chapter on Josh & Donna, Scully & Mulder, Bella and Edward? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, tres bien said:

Don’t underestimate the power & influence Rachel (in particular) has — and I don’t mean if she mentions a story once & then never again.  I mean if she spotlights it relentlessly.  If she does this, the rest of media usually pays attention & follows.  Don’t worry, I’m sure Rachel will take this story into what we as citizens can do to help save the Postal Service — she already did this to a small degree.

And btw, I’m hearing that all of a sudden, multiple mailboxes are being mysteriously taken away everywhere — uh, seriously, gulp, what the fuckety fuck?  This is a story that underscores how horribly screwed we are with this administration in charge.  I feel at least a tiny bit better knowing Rach is all over this, rather than ANY of the other useless hosts on MSNBC or CNN.

• Love 3