Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2020 Season

• Start Topic

Yeah, and he denied saying any of this & mocked The Atlantic, so his cultists will still believe in him -- even tho he's on video saying those awful things about McCain.  OK, so what exactly did Rach accomplish with that dramatic opening, with the Mary Trump clip she clearly edited from the interview she ultimately showed, cuz she flubbed something really badly?  In the end, not much.  Big time waster to me.  LOD, Cuomo & Lemon tried to make this happen also.  Honestly I don't think it's worth the effort cuz this kinda stuff seems to have no effect whatsoever.

• Love 3
On 8/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, ScoobieDoobs said:

He just tweeted Sept. 8th.  Will she be able to squelch a disgusted look (on her face) at this creep?  Would we even want her to?

Yes, MSNBC is now promoting the Cohen appearance on September 8.  

(Would not be surprised if Rachel takes a long weekend starting on Friday.  This has been a long slog the past few weeks.) 

• Love 1

Wow, MSNBC & CNN are furiously repeating that Atlantic story, as Rach did.  OK, so maybe it is worth the effort to repeat & push, cuz it is just so vile & awful — & yet so consistent with his past behavior & comments, particularly on McCain.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

None of this news is new.  These incidents, in France and at Arlington, and the McCain comments, were reported years ago.  I don't understand why it's causing a fuss now.

Quilt Fairy:  you are correct...none of this news is new.
However, it is being re-told because we are closing in on the November elections.
And Mr. Trump's negative comments are being sandwiched together, in a more compelling combination.
Perhaps this will cause some former supporters to consider switching.  Maybe.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Quilt Fairy:  you are correct...none of this news is new.
However, it is being re-told because we are closing in on the November elections.
And Mr. Trump's negative comments are being sandwiched together, in a more compelling combination.
Perhaps this will cause some former supporters to consider switching.  Maybe.

I doubt that will ever happen, They are with him no matter what.

Nothing should surprise me at this point, but it was still horrifying to hear nevertheless.. 

• Love 2

Yeah, the media really is all over this story & now even Fox is confirming it, so just cuz the media is still on it — will it have any discernible effect among voters?  Look, Rach spent most of her show last nite on it & her Twitter is on fire over it, so if she’s there tonite, expect her to still be on it.  I trust her instincts so if she is on it, I’m in!

And btw, Kayleigh abruptly ran out of a press conference in tears when questioned on this story, so maybe Rach is right to be all over this.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Was the entire second Friday hour a repeat of her show from a few days ago?  I was not paying close attention when the second hour started.  Then I saw the introduction to the Wolkoff book and interview, and stopped watching.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1

I didn't even know there was a second hour! I blithely DVRd my usual one hour and one minute 😉 and tended to other matters, so by the time I sat down to watch the recording...well, imagine my surprise. My DVR cut off just as she was talking about Corpus Christi Memorial Day weekend so I definitely want to hear what came after that. I'll check it out On Demand on Saturday.

Those Vets Vote ads sure don't pull any punches; I hope they'll make a difference. And it really must have been a nightmare for the WH to see their beloved Fox News pile on. As for Kayleigh leaving a press briefing in tears, I would pay good money to see that. Though srsly, it's encouraging to think that maybe even she has her limits.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, freddi said:

Was the entire second Friday hour a repeat of her show from a few days ago?  I was not paying close attention when the second hour started.  Then I saw the introduction to the Wolkoff book and interview, and stopped watching.  

Not the entire second hour.  About the first fifteen minutes or so of the second hour was live.  Then they went to the repeat of the interviews, and the "Live" over the MSNBC bug went away. 

At least she didn't whine and complain like the last time she had to do a second hour.  And pretty safe bet she's off on Monday.

• Love 3

I don't think it's news that Trump has said awful, indefensible things about military service, McCain, etc.  But I do think some of these statements were new, at least they were to me.  The "losers and suckers" comment about those buried in the military cemetery in France was not something I had heard before.  I remember him canceling on going to that ceremony, using the excuse that the helicopter couldn't fly in the rain, and him being mocked because he didn't want his hair to get wet, but I don't remember "losers and suckers" at that time.  I also didn't remember him saying that George H.W. Bush was a loser because he was shot down.  I did find it interesting that Rachel thought it necessary to address how quickly the ad with the parents came out, that it was not a collusion/conspiracy set up before the story came out.  Does it have to be explained that political ads do come out very quickly?  If Biden made some gaffe today, there would be an ad about it within 24 hours.

I agree that this particular ad with the family members is very powerful.  I remember thinking at the time Trump said about McCain that he liked people who didn't get captured that it would destroy his campaign, that no one who disparaged someone's military service, especially a person who was held prisoner for over 5 years and tortured repeatedly, could be elected.  I was flabbergasted that he got away with saying that and so I'm not sure why Trump's remarks are such a huge deal now, unless it's the totality of the comments over the years.  After all, almost every American has a family member or friend who has served, or is serving currently, even if they haven't served themselves.  My dad served in WWII, I have several friends and co-workers who served in Vietnam, the Gulf War, Iraq, Afghanistan, and my niece is married to an active duty Army officer.  One of my favorite teachers from high school was a man who lost the use of an arm when he was shot down over Italy in 1944.  But in a way this is similar to what they did to the Postal Service - they didn't understand how deeply ingrained it is in the lives of Americans.  Just as military service is, and the respect for those who served, especially those who gave their lives wearing the uniform of our country.  

I flipped it off last night when they started replaying the Mary Trump interview.  I didn't think it was a great interview the first time I saw it!  I assume Rachel will be off on Monday.  My listings show 2 hours of Chris Hayes.  

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Those vet ads were powerful. Better than the Lincoln Project ads.

As the daughter of a WWII vet, I've supported VoteVets for  5 years.

This year is very important and their ads have been impressive. I would encourage anyone that supports good causes to donate to them.

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I didn't even know there was a second hour! I blithely DVRd my usual one hour and one minute 😉 and tended to other matters, so by the time I sat down to watch the recording...well, imagine my surprise. My DVR cut off just as she was talking about Corpus Christi Memorial Day weekend so I definitely want to hear what came after that. I'll check it out On Demand on Saturday.

Those Vets Vote ads sure don't pull any punches; I hope they'll make a difference. And it really must have been a nightmare for the WH to see their beloved Fox News pile on. As for Kayleigh leaving a press briefing in tears, I would pay good money to see that. Though srsly, it's encouraging to think that maybe even she has her limits.  

So would I, so I looked it up.  She was "defending" with a whole string of B.S. & then made a snide comment & walked away.  No tears!!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Those vet ads were powerful. Better than the Lincoln Project ads.

As for the LP they have aligned with other groups including True American Heroes Veteran and Military Community Coalition and have produced a powerful ad, POW, that's on the LP homepage dated 9/3.

14 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

So would I, so I looked it up.  She was "defending" with a whole string of B.S. & then made a snide comment & walked away.  No tears!!

It occurred to me later that if she were in tears it would have been over how mean the press was being to her boss, who (of course!) loved the military like no one else has before 😒 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I coulda sworn I saw tears or maybe watery eye ducts — but you wouldn’t wanna spoil a moment of happiness for those of us who can’t stand her & her endless barrage of lies — even if it’s an ever so brief moment?🙂 Well, at least Rachel thankfully NEVER shows her!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

This is hilarious, in the first segment of the interview with Cohen:  for whatever reason, Rachel is avoiding saying Hannity’s name, and Cohen similarly is saying that he won’t say the other news host’s name, “but your listeners are smart, and they’ll figure out who it is.”  YET, at the start of that thread, the quote Rachel was reading was printed on the screen, and it totally stated, “Hannity said” in the midst of the quote.  

I’ve  seen comedy episodes do that schtick, with the inadvertent revelation.  

And yeah, I would have figured how who it was without the answer being printed.  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

You know, as Cohen was describing his sleazy shit, that he was carrying out with Pecker at The National Enquirer, to smear Cruz or Rubio or whoever — and he’s smirking . . . I couldn’t stop thinking how this disgusting character makes me wanna puke my guts out.  Blech!

His claims about the Fallwells didn’t make much sense — so Rach didn’t get anything much outta him on that.

So did she break any scoops?  Nothing that I haven’t heard already & I can’t stand this fucking creep.  I need to take a shower after looking at & listening to him.  Ick.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought this was a well done interview.  Michael Cohen and Rachel had a great rapport. 

But to think that this was the biggest reality show ever conceived and that we've been the victims? There are no words for my anger. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, freddi said:

This is hilarious, in the first segment of the interview with Cohen:  for whatever reason, Rachel is avoiding saying Hannity’s name, and Cohen similarly is saying that he won’t say the other news host’s name, “but your listeners are smart, and they’ll figure out who it is.”  YET, at the start of that thread, the quote Rachel was reading was printed on the screen, and it totally stated, “Hannity said” in the midst of the quote.  

I’ve  seen comedy episodes do that schtick, with the inadvertent revelation.  

And yeah, I would have figured how who it was without the answer being printed.  

I would "like" this a million times if I could 😄 I actually rewound my recording to make sure I hadn't imagined seeing Hannity's name in the excerpt. Then I yelled at my TV 😆 I suppose Rachel might not have spoken the name when she read the quote but surely Cohen knows what he wrote? I dunno. I am deeply ambivalent about the guy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m not ambivalent about him — he’s a slimeball.  While he does seem credible in what he’s saying, as a person — he is such an awful character, his credibility could easily be questioned.  I don’t think in the end anything from him makes much difference.

As far as Rachel’s “rapport” with him goes?  I’m sure she’s still as disgusted by him now as she was when she was quoting his vile, curse-loaded, bullying threats against reporters.  Rach was just being a good journalist, hiding her own feelings & trying to get a story.

Bottom line is he’s so thoroughly despicable, I suspect most will tune him out.  Mary Trump will ultimately have way more impact on perspective of Trump.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Er, Michael who?  Sorry Rach, that your big get of last nite is yesterday’s news & pretty much forgotten.  Actually, I love that the sleazy fuck’s book isn’t being talked about anymore.  There’s so much juicy, great stuff in Woodward’s book, I’m even OK if she does a whole hour audio-booking Rage . . .

• Love 4

A friend and I were talking yesterday about what would have to happen to cause Rachel to open her show being silent for a few seconds,  taking a deep breath and saying, "What the fuck???"  I thought we might see that today.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I agree with Rachel's last comment to Lawrence tonight about how the most shocking thing about the tapes were the revelation that Trump DOES actually understand all of this. It's right there, you can hear it. He got it, he knew exactly what the truth about this was, and yet the way he kept going on and on (and still!) about how it's a hoax and it's harmless and it's gonna disappear made it sound like he was in denial and just doesn't accept or doesn't listen to what he's told. No, not with this. He understands perfectly well what it really is and deliberately lied and did nothing. Actually not nothing- he encouraged everything to make it worse and purposely endanger people. I agree with her that's it's Nixon esque (actually worse).

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I agree with her that's it's Nixon esque (actually worse).

Oh, yes, her final comments were the most hard-hitting.  All the Nixon tapes did ("all") was to show criminal intent and knowledge, and it was enough to get the votes to remove him from office, which he avoided by resigning.  As Rachel said, this is so much worse, as it actually cost lives.  This is the Trump tapes, and like the Nixon tapes, no one knew they existed until they knew they existed.  Everyone is in shock, including Rachel, and the sonic boom from this revelation of the "tapes" and their *contents* is coming, one way or another.  

If this is Woodward's career bookend to the Watergate investigation, it is a resoundingly solid bookend.  

• Love 7

Nixon taped himself.  When that became public knowledge, everyone was gobsmacked. (And there was an expectation by many that Nixon would destroy the tapes before they could be made public.)    But Trump went to a reporter (Woodward of all people!) and allowed himself to be taped.  Everyone is more than gobsmacked, especially Trump's staffers I suspect. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Calvada said:

A friend and I were talking yesterday about what would have to happen to cause Rachel to open her show being silent for a few seconds,  taking a deep breath and saying, "What the fuck???"  I thought we might see that today.

She was pretty much thinking that for much of the Woodward episode lol

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ruby24 said:

the most shocking thing about the tapes were the revelation that Trump DOES actually understand all of this. It's right there, you can hear it. He got it,

That shocked me as well.  In those tapes (at least the snippets that have been released) he sounds normal.  He speaks in regular declarative sentences, not the nonsensical, run-on stuff we normally hear from him.

I don't know what scares me more. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 9

Ya promise, Rach?  No more audio books?  Really?  Sheesh, I'm exhausted by all these books!  Thanks for the recap of all the authors you had on that you read their books to, Rach.

Eh, I'm not especially thrilled with Strzok.  I certainly wasn't feeling the same as Rach, who was kinda going nuts over him.  He has some interesting things to say & his POV is definitely worth listening to, but the prob is his credibility has been effectively shattered -- and sorry, Rach, but that's his own fault.  Yes, he was targeted, but as an agent, he should have known better than to leave himself so vulnerable.

So will ANY of this stuff from ANY of these books make a difference?  Certainly doesn't seem like it, but who knows.  I'm just glad Rach said she's giving the books a rest -- er, until she can book Woodward?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Eh, I'm not especially thrilled with Strzok.  I certainly wasn't feeling the same as Rach, who was kinda going nuts over him.  He has some interesting things to say & his POV is definitely worth listening to, but the prob is his credibility has been effectively shattered -- and sorry, Rach, but that's his own fault.  Yes, he was targeted, but as an agent, he should have known better than to leave himself so vulnerable.

I agree.  His emails/texts were very unprofessional, even if they were on his personal accounts.  Of course it is fine and *necessary* to have opinions. but if he had been sending those to me, I would not have been responding.  They were a little too many Red Bull-late night level of excitability.  

And this was the second time that Lawrence O'D referred to her audiobook show.  

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the interview (well, as much as a person can enjoy hearing about Russia rigging elections without wanting to slit my wrists) and was as impressed with Peter Strzok as I expected to be. It's an issue Rachel has followed closely for years and you could tell she was really interested in discussing it all with Strzok. He enjoyed it too.

Peter Strzok@petestrzok

It was a privilege to talk with@maddow, who has a deep and nuanced understanding of Russia’s compromise of @realDonaldTrump and their ongoing threat to our democracy.

• Love 10

Hey, I get why Rachel is so thrilled with this onslaught of books.  They’re all confirmation of what she’s been suspicious of for the last 3 and a half years — whether it’s the Inaugural funds or shady shit of Trump cronies & connections with Russia.

But I’m finding this onslaught of books depressing, rather than reassuring, cuz it’s just so unknown if this will have ANY impact on voters.

• Love 5

I pray it will. The US is getting too damn crazy and Europe/Asia is just shaking its head at us. Canada included. Pandemic, floods, hurricanes, riots, and wild fires in California and parts of the Midwest. We have to to survive this somehow. Too much is going on. It's like a video game come to life and we are living it. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I pray it will. The US is getting too damn crazy and Europe/Asia is just shaking its head at us. Canada included. Pandemic, floods, hurricanes, riots, and wild fires in California and parts of the Midwest. We have to to survive this somehow. Too much is going on. It's like a video game come to life and we are living it. 

Plagues.

• Love 1

OK, Rach, if ya wanted to convince us what a nutcase Caputo is, you certainly did a great job -- and it wouldn't have even taken as much as you described.  That he has so much responsibility over info getting out on Covid?  Scary as hell.  Shit, I'm not gonna be sleeping well knowing this . . .

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've got to stop watching Rachel.  I don't think I can take it anymore.  How easy it has been to destroy everything whose existence and integrity we never even thought to question. 

I understand what you're feeling but I, on the other hand, thought the opposite as I watched. I wished that I could somehow make everybody I know watch her show. People really are uninformed about what's going on in the country but Rachel has a way of explaining it all that could really make them understand how DJT has fucked up the country and how dire the situation is. Her show really should be required watching.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've got to stop watching Rachel.  I don't think I can take it anymore.  How easy it has been to destroy everything whose existence and integrity we never even thought to question

I have had to stop watching because all it's doing is making me spiral into hopelessness.  I agree with shok about wishing everyone would listen to Rachel's insights, but I fear she's only preaching to the choir.  FWIW, I don't want her to ever stop digging for and exposing the truth, but personally, I've already committed to my actions for this November and if my vote doesn't make a difference, Canada is looking awfully good.

• Love 1