Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2020 Season

• Start Topic

(edited)

I’m convinced something is going on with MSNBC, where every host is forced to play those damn Trump clips.  A good 20% of the Hayes & Brian Williams & Ari Melber shows are Trump clips.  I really like Joy Reid, but her shows have nearly become unwatchable cuz she plays so many Trump clips.  I thought it was different with Rachel’s show.  Guess not.

Yeah, last nite I was floored that Rachel played so many Trump clips for so freaking long that I left her on mute & missed some of what she said when she finally came back.  It seemed unusual for her.  Makes me wonder if she had to cave to pressure to play those awful Trump clips I can’t stand listening to or watching.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4

Nicknames insulting the President can veer over the line in expressing personal political opinions.  Posts may be hidden - warnings, time-outs or banning may result if it continues. 

The only exception would be Rachel specifically using that wording on the show. 

I wish all Americans could hear the gut wrenching descriptions by doctors and nurses of what they are seeing in hospital ERs and ICUs.  I really appreciate Rachel giving them the air time.  If more people could hear these, maybe there wouldn't be so much resistance to wearing masks, which is something that is truly baffling to me.

I too have been glad that Rachel is not 100% COVID, except for the fact that those other stories (Russian bounties on American soldiers, denying Col. Vindman his promotion, etc.) are just as depressing!

• Love 9

I was innocently watching the show last night until Rachel started talking about the US attorney in Brooklyn possibly (or probably) being replaced on the heels of the Jeffrey Berman firing. 

I don't which happen first. My eyes popping or my jaw dropping. 

• Love 5

Rach did something last nite which bugged the piss outta me — even more than those damn awful Trump clips.  She played a really long Fox clip.  Uh, seriously, Rach, what is with this?  If I wanted to watch Fox, I would never in a zillion years be watching MSNBC — and in particular, Rachel.  This seems to be a new thing.  Please cut it out quick, Rach, cuz when you play Fox clips I tune you out.  When Trump pops up, I mute it.  When Tucker Carlson turns up, that gets switched off ASAP!

• Love 6

What's going on today, Friday?  Ali Velshi was in for Chris Hayes, so I skipped that, then tuned in at :58 to see if Rachel was hosting.  But I realized that Ali blew right past the start time of Rachel's show, with no reference to Rachel.  So, is this a virus special two-hour show?  It is really odd not to mention that it is Rachel's show.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Rach did something last nite which bugged the piss outta me — even more than those damn awful Trump clips.  She played a really long Fox clip.  Uh, seriously, Rach, what is with this?  If I wanted to watch Fox, I would never in a zillion years be watching MSNBC — and in particular, Rachel.  This seems to be a new thing.  Please cut it out quick, Rach, cuz when you play Fox clips I tune you out.  When Trump pops up, I mute it.  When Tucker Carlson turns up, that gets switched off ASAP!

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm mildly interested in what those guys at Fox are saying ... mildly!!!

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, freddi said:

What's going on today, Friday?  Ali Velshi was in for Chris Hayes, so I skipped that, then tuned in at :58 to see if Rachel was hosting.  But I realized that Ali blew right past the start time of Rachel's show, with no reference to Rachel.  So, is this a virus special two-hour show?  It is really odd not to mention that it is Rachel's show.  

I looked at the listings guide and the regular shows aren't listed.  I think it's because it's a holiday eve.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2020 at 10:23 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm mildly interested in what those guys at Fox are saying ... mildly!!!

A summary will do. Some images could burn out pixels in my TV, I think. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

All those Republican Senators in the 80s.....! That's a recipe for disaster. I know the other 2 won't go, but when you look at the demographic of their ages, it's amazing they are walking.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
(edited)

When Rachel appeared at the handoff this evening, I immediately thought, wow, nice haircut.  Then she started with "COVID haircut Number Two:  No judging!"  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Er, so hey, Mary Trump, if ya haven't already done the audio of your book, may I suggest Rach?  Her screaming "IVANA" in her best Trumpy way was a hoot!

She's reading it herself.  There's no sample up on Audible, so it's impossible to say how well she does. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Fred was a scary man, wasn't he? He was like something out of a 40s noir villain come to life. Judging from the snippets of the book by Mary, sounds like it was psychological abuse the family endured all those years, knowing their late mother was suffering from mental illness. All from one man.

Edited by Robert Lynch

Last night was unbelievable. I was watching The Office and at 9 pm I thought "Well let's see what bad news about the virus Rachel has tonight", and she's reading Mary Trump's book.   Holy shit. Normally I can't take all the bad stuff but this was Must See TV.  That books sounds like a spy novel, the way Mary smuggled that tax info out of the attorney office.  I may have to drop the $25 on it, Rachel said she read it in a day and I'm no Rhodes Scholar but it must be a pretty fast read. I did finish Gone Girl in a day. 🙂

I liked her hair.  It looked lighter and she looked really tan. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

She's reading it herself.  There's no sample up on Audible, so it's impossible to say how well she does. 

Meh, I say redo with Rachel reading!

Rachel’s reading of Trump not recognizing Lara Trump, after Eric had been going with her for 8 years, was so nuts & so telling & so awful, yet it gave me some hearty giggles, given what a thoroughly horrible character Lara has repeatedly shown herself to be.

Hopefully, Rach will continue to find equally amusing tidbits to relay in Mary’s book.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

$18 hardcover, $15 Kindle on Amazon right now.

I did see that a bit ago.  I wonder if Mary is going to do any press for this.  Not that she needs to. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I did see that a bit ago.  I wonder if Mary is going to do any press for this.  Not that she needs to. 

She probably has to wait for the court hearing about the restraining order.  Then I'm sure she'll do the talk show circuit, including TRMS.

• Love 1
(edited)

In a just society, every person who thinks Covid19 is a hoax, or just a strong flu, would be forced to watch the first 10 minutes of last night's show, with their eyes held open Clockwork Orange style.

That was brutal.  And needful.  This is what all the shows need to do.  We need the numbers, and the graphs, and the experts - but that was a punch to the gut.  Let the patients tell you what this feels like.  Sit with the doctor as he makes the call no doctor wants to make, knowing that he is making this call over and over and over.  

Thank you Rachael for continuing to show the human face of this tragedy.  

Edited by Xena
  • Love 10

Yeah, it makes me think how Rachel concentrating on those states now hit hardest by Covid, AND particularly focusing on where they’re at in terms of hospital capacities, is very purposeful.  It’s also (not surprisingly for Rachel) really smart.

I suspect Rachel is coming from a standpoint of — WTF is it gonna take for the idiot/zombie Trumper Repub govs of states like Tx, Fl & Az (or even Al) to finally start doing something effective in response to what’s going on.  And what will it take for Trump or his poodle Pence to respond realistically to this horror?  

To me, Rachel seems to be always on edge of just looking at the cam and asking — how awful does it have to get before any of these clowns start acknowledging how bad it is & at least make some attempt to deal with it?  She really looks tired of saying every night how this admin is failing so miserably at handling this crisis.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Xena said:

That was brutal.  And needful.  This is what all the shows need to do.  We need the numbers, and the graphs, and the experts - but that was a punch to the gut.  Let the patients tell you what this feels like. 

As a former ICU nurse, I FF past that kind of footage.  Not because it's not important, but because it's almost like triggering for me.  But yes, people need to see the reality of this disease. 

Safe bet that tonight's show is going to have a very different focus, though...

• Love 5

The story of the CA prisoners, especially as told by a mother of a prisoner,  was haunting.  Simply haunting.  It's hard to think of these prisoners in a sympathetic way, but, the mom put a real voice to them and I did feel bad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

As a former ICU nurse, I FF past that kind of footage.  Not because it's not important, but because it's almost like triggering for me.  But yes, people need to see the reality of this disease. 

Safe bet that tonight's show is going to have a very different focus, though...

When I saw his lying-idiot press-person (with the ridiculous false eyelashes & cheap wig) say the rise in hospitalizations was due to “an increase in elective surgeries”, I thought — Oh Rachel, you keep showing the doctors & nurses & healthcare workers & what they’re going thru.  I also couldn’t help thinking what a horrible creature that McEnany woman is for saying such drivel, especially when Rachel disproves this outrageous  lie every nite.

• Love 5

So much important news dropped today that Rachel covered.  But I come away so curious about Dan Goldman, the intense House counsel for the impeachment -- who has a surfboard and a painting (slightly abstract) of a huge wave next to it.  Dan Goldman, surfer dude?   

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Oh, Michael Beschloss, you silly goose.  "Nothing exciting, just shelves of books."  Don't you know that for some of us having more books than we can count is the best thing ever?  I have a friend who had been dating a guy for about 2 months, both right out of college, and they started talking about the type of house each would like to have some day, and his biggest priority was sufficient space for lots of bookshelves.  She was puzzled, said but you don't have that many books, and he said I will one day.  She told me that's when she knew she would be with him for life.  They will celebrate their 31st wedding anniversary later this year.  And they own LOTS of books!

I miss Rachel and Michael Beschloss together.  I don't care what's happening in the news, they should have at least one segment together every week.  I'd listen to them discuss anything - banana bread recipes, best fishing spots, favorite Jimmy Stewart movie, etc.  And where is Chuck Rosenberg hiding?  I miss him too.   

• Love 9
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Oh, Michael Beschloss, you silly goose.  "Nothing exciting, just shelves of books."  Don't you know that for some of us having more books than we can count is the best thing ever?  I have a friend who had been dating a guy for about 2 months, both right out of college, and they started talking about the type of house each would like to have some day, and his biggest priority was sufficient space for lots of bookshelves.  She was puzzled, said but you don't have that many books, and he said I will one day.  She told me that's when she knew she would be with him for life.  They will celebrate their 31st wedding anniversary later this year.  And they own LOTS of books!

I miss Rachel and Michael Beschloss together.  I don't care what's happening in the news, they should have at least one segment together every week.  I'd listen to them discuss anything - banana bread recipes, best fishing spots, favorite Jimmy Stewart movie, etc.  And where is Chuck Rosenberg hiding?  I miss him too.   

Michael Beschloss ... be still my heart!!!  Also Chuck Rosenberg who was on Nicolle's show with Joyce Vance this afternoon.

Also, does anyone know if Joyce Vance is related to Cy Vance?  TIA.

Edited by Medicine Crow
Joyce Vance
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Michael Beschloss ... be still my heart!!!  Also Chuck Rosenberg who was on Nicolle's show with Joyce Vance this afternoon.

I have to say that I have been really glad to see the attorneys come back on the shows in the past week or two -- Barbara McQuade on Rachel's show last week, and the other faves.  Joyce Vance has not been on Rachel's show for quite a while.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Also, does anyone know if Joyce Vance is related to Cy Vance?  TIA.

I don't think so.  Vance is her married name, and she was raised in Los Angeles.

Dan Goldman is a fine attorney (and nice to see him apparently fully recovered from COVID), but I was really hoping for Chuck or Barb or Joyce.  Mostly Chuck.  I flove Chuck.  Hee. 

• Love 6
(edited)

i loved that room in Michael Beschloss' house. Him, too. And I think I finally found the faux-built-in bookshelves for my living room (and consolidate the books from four other cases around the place;-)

Good job tonight, Rachel. I haven't been watching regularly lately because ... self-care.

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Oh, Michael Beschloss, you silly goose.  "Nothing exciting, just shelves of books."  Don't you know that for some of us having more books than we can count is the best thing ever?

The couple I bought my townhouse from had those built-in bookcases, complete with the rolling ladder, in the living room.  They didn't come with the unit, so I offered to buy them.  But the sellers wanted what I thought was too much for them, so I said no thanks and they packed them up and moved them across country.  Big mistake on my part.  I still regret it 28 years later. 

• Love 1

Look, I know Rach said a billion years ago, after that awful & horrible day Trump got elected (which still makes me quake & quiver with anger & disgust that it ever happened) how she’s not around to comfort anyone.  And yet, even in this wretched time, when November 3rd seems a zillion years away, I am comforted & I smile (if maybe all too briefly) when I see genuinely fine people like Dan Goldman or Chuck or Barb or Joyce or Beschloss.

Glad she hasn’t had Neal Katyal on in a while.  He makes me wince when he appears cuz his shit rules helped Trump get us into the mess we’re in now.  Ugh.

I’m so glad she moved on from the Mary Trump book, to cover much more important news.  Loved her sum-up of what seems like the endless Trump scandals.  It ALWAYS bears repeating so they’re not overlooked or treated as normal, when it absolutely is NOT.

And Rachel’s take on Michael Cohen was very different than what anyone else was reporting.  She said he was taken into custody so quickly because he wouldn’t agree to not speaking to the media.  Hmm, almost everywhere else, it was implied the reason was his going out to restaurants.  Great that she’s all over this, AND Roger Stone going to lock-up.  So looking forward to her giggling over Stone’s march to prison — or will that be me?

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Glad she hasn’t had Neal Katyal on in a while.  He makes me wince when he appears cuz his shit rules helped Trump get us into the mess we’re in now.

LOD had him on in the next hour. 

1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

And Rachel’s take on Michael Cohen was very different than what anyone else was reporting.  She said he was taken into custody so quickly because he wouldn’t agree to not speaking to the media.  Hmm, almost everywhere else, it was implied the reason was his going out to restaurants.

When I started reading about it yesterday, originally I saw reports about him not agreeing not to speak to the media, and then it morphed into him being photographed going into a restaurant.  I get the sense that any pretext to lock him back up would have done for the DoJ. 

And while I know coronavirus coverage is vitally important, I also knew after the news of the morning that Rachel would have a different focus last night, and I was correct.  I can't help it that I much prefer her talking about politics.  

Is she ever going to have Joe Biden on?

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 5

I’m pretty sure Rachel said she has requested an interview with Joe.  So what is up with why he has been interviewed with so many others on MSNBC, but not Rach?

I suspect it’ll happen eventually, but I wonder if his aides have kept him away from her purposefully cuz they don’t trust Rach or Joe — that they’re afraid Rachel will be too needlessly tough on him or that Joe won’t come off well from an interview with Rachel.  Meh, I can’t imagine Rach being needlessly tough on Joe & sure, he’s prone to the gaffes & saying & doing dumb shit, but he has been very sharp lately in his speeches.  He would only benefit from her wide audience & I’d be shocked if Rachel did anything to intentionally make him look bad.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I’m pretty sure Rachel said she has requested an interview with Joe.  So what is up with why he has been interviewed with so many others on MSNBC, but not Rach?

I suspect it’ll happen eventually, but I wonder if his aides have kept him away from her purposefully cuz they don’t trust Rach or Joe — that they’re afraid Rachel will be too needlessly tough on him or that Joe won’t come off well from an interview with Rachel.  Meh, I can’t imagine Rach being needlessly tough on Joe & sure, he’s prone to the gaffes & saying & doing dumb shit, but he has been very sharp lately in his speeches.  He would only benefit from her wide audience & I’d be shocked if Rachel did anything to intentionally make him look bad.

I agree with everything you just said.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, freddi said:

So much important news dropped today that Rachel covered.  But I come away so curious about Dan Goldman, the intense House counsel for the impeachment -- who has a surfboard and a painting (slightly abstract) of a huge wave next to it.  Dan Goldman, surfer dude?   

The person on Twitter who Rates peoples rooms as they are interviewed, "Room Rater" gave Dan Goldman a 10, loving the wave painting & surfboard 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Does anyone else wonder why the Trump campaign is airing ads during Rachel's show?  It's not his demographic, and we're hardly likely to change our minds based off an ad.  I just find it very bizarre. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Does anyone else wonder why the Trump campaign is airing ads during Rachel's show?  It's not his demographic, and we're hardly likely to change our minds based off an ad.  I just find it very bizarre. 

I can’t stand those ads! I put mute everyday they show them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Rachel's agonizing concluding minutes about the vastly increased COVID cases was awful to watch.  She is beating her fists against a stone wall on this, and she knows it.  Then Lawrence O'D came on and reverted to chattering about the Stone commutation.  Read the room, Lawrence.  You could see how distracted she was, then rallied to say a few more things about Stone.

I was so glad to see Nicolle Wallace-- she has such good sources as a former White House Republican staffer.  And I don't think Rachel got to say more than ten words to her, because Nicolle had so much to unload.  

Barb McQuade:  "Yes, this is just as bad as you think it is."    

Edited by freddi
  • Love 16

1 hour ago, freddi said:

Barb McQuade:  "Yes, this is just as bad as you think it is."    

I turned on the TV just at that moment. My heart almost stopped. On a Friday night these days, "bad" can be really, really bad. 

• Love 7

I’m used to Rachel’s guests, especially attorneys/prosecutors, being fairly measured. But Barb McQuade went IN, and Nicolle ran hot right after her. Damn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Was surprised to see Rachel start off with the Fed DA who got booted out.  Glad she did shine her spotlight on this cuz it seems like nobody else did.  But I thought she’d lead off with Stone.  Rachel is usually mostly measured & controlled.  But she clearly showed her anger & exasperation over Stone — despite everyone everywhere saying this was predictable.  

I hope she sticks with having more guests talking about Stone cuz I suspect as COVID hits disastrous levels in TX, FL, CA, GA, AZ & SC, the Stone story will be forgotten as yet another of the zillions of Trump’s corruption scandals.

Sorry to say this, but watching Rachel (or anything or anyone else on the news nets) is just so damned depressing & hopeless.  Rach tries to be kinda jokey about it, but it doesn’t counter how awful Trump (& Barr & McEneny & DeVos & the rest of his endless crew of horrors) continues to be.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It might be based on where you are - a regional buy, not a national buy.  I'm in a battleground state so I get inundated with political ads.  But I agree, even in a state that is almost evenly divided politically, people who watch TRMS seem unlikely to be swayed by a political ad.  

Barb McQuade didn't hold back anything.  I think she's probably got the entire rank and file of the Justice Department on her side.  One of the factors in commuting a sentence as well as pardoning someone (I assume there will be many pardons on Nov. 4, regardless of what happens Nov. 3) is supposed to be remorse, acceptance of responsibility for the crime, and there's been none of that in these cases.  Furthermore, something the president doesn't seem to understand is that accepting a pardon is an acknowledgment  of guilt.  It does not establish innocence.  Initially, Richard Nixon was reluctant to accept a pardon, since it was an admittance of guilt and he felt he hadn't committed any crimes.  The "if the president does it, it's not a crime" defense.  In Nixon's statement after the pardon was announced, he admitted making mistakes, not committing crimes. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

So does Rachel see herself as someone who, with her position in media, can make a difference by shaming do-nothing politicians?  She has in the past shamed some govs into action.  It makes me wonder if, given how strikingly awful & dire the COVID situation is getting in FL & that foolish Trumper gov is reacting in such a terribly ineffective way, will Rachel start spotlighting FL?  Well, I hope she does cuz Rachel would absolutely be saving countless lives in FL if she shames the toadie FL gov into taking proper action, rather than prioritizing being beholden to Trump's dangerous self-serving views.

• Love 2