Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

From where I sit, I don't see any shredding of her or the SLS's reputations.

What tearing family apart? Those three are still glommed together.

STFU, Willow.

Such revisionist retcon bullshit.

She's referring to when Scott brought up Michael killing Claudia at the custody hearing, re "reputations."  And the tearing the family apart is because of the whole Sonny situation, so not revisionist, just annoying.  

12 hours ago, Corvino said:

People are disturbed by Curtis's eagerness to have a child with Portia, mostly because of her age. The real reason to be disturbed is the baby-storyline glut this would lead to, but I just wanted to say her age wouldn't necessarily be an obstacle. I am very closely related to someone who had her first and only baby-- quite some time ago, in mid-20th century-- at the age of 45. Without trying. It was an accident

An oopsie baby in the forties is not that unusual as the body pumps out extra eggs knowing that it will shut all down soon.

What is disturbing is Curtis' assumption that Portia, who already has an adult daughter not to mention a busy career, will automatically start giving him babies to carry on his, not her, name. It's sexist and patronizing.

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

No matter who you side with on the Willow/Nina story, I'm just glad it's finally moving along with the reveal that Nina is Willow's mother.

Before the reveal, I had the hope that it would turn out well and Carly would finally get her desserts, or at least some of them.

But the reveal itself is a huge disappointment. Michael didn't get angry at his mother but at Sonny again for fighting with her, Drew is back to wagging his tale hoping for a scratch behind his ears, and Willow is angry at Nina, not that the information was kept from her, not at the person who kept the information causing her to be even more ill (and hopefully closer to dying).

Personally I liked it more when I was waiting.

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
2 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

Oh, it was a secret that Taggart was her father? Why? 

I don't think it was a secret, just that the show had no intention of making her Taggart's daughter until well after she had been introduced as Trina Robinson.

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Willow is angry at Nina, not that the information was kept from her, not at the person who kept the information causing her to be even more ill (and hopefully closer to dying).

Not to mention taking it upon herself to decide what information about herself a grown woman should have.  

But, again, I'm sure Willow will end up thanking Carly for "looking out" for her interests, because god forbid anyone be mad at that hellhound for more than 2 minutes.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

She's referring to when Scott brought up Michael killing Claudia at the custody hearing, re "reputations."  And the tearing the family apart is because of the whole Sonny situation, so not revisionist, just annoying.  

Ohhhh, riiiiiight. Like the SLS doesn't have the choice to  make up with Mooby.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

Oh, it was a secret that Taggart was her father? Why? 

Not a secret just that the show didn’t plan to have a Taggert’s as her dad. They introduced Trina first as Joss’ friend. It was maybe within a year that Portia was casted as her mom and Curtis’ former flame. We were lead to believe that this was most likely Curtis long lost daughter.

It was not until they started the Cyrus storyline with Jordan that we meet her former partner who turns out to be Taggert. Then we have a scene of Trina seeing her dad. This was at least a few years after Trina was first introduced on the show.

23 minutes ago, RedElf said:

If Nina isn't a bone marrow match, they should test Wiley.  He's Willow's nephew, now. Plus, Liesl is also a blood relative.

Or have a c-section and see if the baby is compatible with with Willow.

• Useful 1

Taggert was still "dead" when Trina was first introduced, right? That gave the show a tiny bit of wiggle room, but the constant changes in parentage they fall back on way too often is tiresome.

Trina's paternity wasn't mentioned until the show decided to make it A Thing, which I wish it hadn't. #KeepTrinaTaggert's

Curtis and Portia need to have a serious talk about more children, not these throwaway mentions by Curtis with Portia looking stricken. Gah.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
Just now, dubbel zout said:

Taggert was still "dead" when Trina was first introduced, right? That gave the show a tiny bit of wiggle room, but the constant changes in parentage they fall back on way too often is tiresome.

No. Unless they had "killed" him off when Real left after his first run?

They set up his fake death after we learned he was her father.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Trina was on the show for a couple years before we ever found out who her parents were. Taggart showed up to town in 2020 and that’s when we found out he was Trina’s father. Then he later “died” and we met Portia for the first time. When she spoke to Curtis at Taggart’s memorial, they made it obvious that they were involved in the past and he was Trina’s father. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They set up his fake death after we learned he was her father.

Ah. The time line is a little murky for me. Not that it really matters, given how this fakakta show changes it when it suits them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just click on the editor tool bar where you get all the emojis and you have your choice of them

Aw, of course, thank you, but I was thinking of the emojis you hit to respond to a person's post, rather than actually replying. I usually go with Sad to reflect the ick factor, but sometimes it's just not good enough.

Michael, I don't know what it says about Nina that Willow, that most generous and open-hearted person, thinks Nina is the absolute worst humanity has to offer yet Carly and Sonny are as naught, but I know what is says about Willow.

At this point, I think Esme would be the more stable mother.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Not much to say about the main SL other than I’m feeling very justified as a day 1 Willow hater. 

Wonder who is going to die in Joss’ place this time around because we know they won’t give us what we want and let Heather get her target. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, Fellaway said:

Aw, of course, thank you, but I was thinking of the emojis you hit to respond to a person's post, rather than actually replying. I usually go with Sad to reflect the ick factor, but sometimes it's just not good enough.

Ah. The reasoning behind that is to not have negative reactions. Hence the exploding head (which to me is like WTF???? or Are you Fucking Kidding me?!) reactions, is the closest to a "negative" emoji.

Why is anyone allowed to walk in and talk to Esme? The guard said no but still allowed Victor in. If they are waiting for Esme to regain her memories, there is contamination all over the place going on. Even if you hate Esme, first do no wrong.

Really cute outfit on Esme.

Points to Martin in the confrontation with Victor.

"but [Willow\ is not listening to reason."  Granted Willow is being super stupid right now but reason, as Michael defines it, is agreeing with him.

Every time I think she can't go higher, Willow reaches new heights of stupid. Today she badmouthed Nina to Sasha who not only works with Nina but really cares for her.

I guess the scenes with Nina and Sonny talking about what it would have meant had Nina known about Willow is the writers trying to be even handed about what Carly did. I have to give credit to Nina for both 1. if she had been able to raise Nelle, she might not have turned out so bad and 2. if she had been able to forge a relationship with Willow back in May, she might have been able to build a relationship with Willow and Wylie out of it Good psychological reasons for both.

CW and MB look like they're really enjoying this. Good stuff for CW (kudos to her for being willing to do the scenes without makeup), and finally something different for MB when he's Sonny and not Mike.

I hate to admit it but this is a better pairing for Nina than Valentin or Jax was. Maybe it's because they're more equal partners rather than the man trying to save Nina.

It's really embarrassing how much better that boy Antoine's French is the JSP's.  Good actor too.  I wonder why they used the formal 'vous' rather than 'tu' to the boy.

I do like the catacombs plan.

"And yet no one has died since she's been in custody. What's the holdup? ...  "I've waited my whole life to have a relationship with my daughter, with my Esme."  "No you haven't."  The psychopath duo of Ryan and Heather are moments of fun.  "Don't worry handsome, we'll send you a postcard."

15 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Michael, I don't know what it says about Nina that Willow, that most generous and open-hearted person, thinks Nina is the absolute worst humanity has to offer yet Carly and Sonny are as naught, but I know what is says about Willow.

And what it says about Michael.

Well done, writers. At this point, I have zero sympathy or respect for Willow, Michael or Carly. Or Joss. Go, Heather, go.

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5

As for Wiley or Babybump,

How old do you have to be to donate bone marrow? A person must be at least 18 to donate because donation is a medical procedure and the person must be able to give legal informed consent. Also, because it's a voluntary procedure a guardian or parent can't sign a release or give consent for someone under age 18.

Who can donate bone marrow to whom?

Donating stem cells or bone marrow to a relative A brother or sister is most likely to be a match. There is a 1 in 4 chance of your cells matching. This is called a matched related donor (MRD) transplant. Anyone else in the family is unlikely to match.

• Useful 2

But on All My Children, Travis and Barbara literally had sex so they could have a baby to serve as a bone marrow donor for their daughter Molly.  Fans literally called the baby Bone Marrow Donor Montgomery.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
16 minutes ago, ciarra said:

As for Wiley or Babybump,

How old do you have to be to donate bone marrow? A person must be at least 18 to donate because donation is a medical procedure and the person must be able to give legal informed consent. Also, because it's a voluntary procedure a guardian or parent can't sign a release or give consent for someone under age 18.

Who can donate bone marrow to whom?

Donating stem cells or bone marrow to a relative A brother or sister is most likely to be a match. There is a 1 in 4 chance of your cells matching. This is called a matched related donor (MRD) transplant. Anyone else in the family is unlikely to match.

11 minutes ago, RedElf said:

But on All My Children, Travis and Barbara literally had sex so they could have a baby to serve as a bone marrow donor for their daughter Molly.  Fans literally called the baby Bone Marrow Donor Montgomery.

And on many medical and even legal shows (Law & Order Mothership), parents had a second child so that the bone marrow could be used to save first child who had cancer/needed a bone marrow. And the parents in "Seed" thought the husband's sperm was being used, but it was the pervy doctor's and their first child died  because it wasn't a match.

• Mind Blown 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Before the reveal, I had the hope that it would turn out well and Carly would finally get her desserts, or at least some of them.

But the reveal itself is a huge disappointment. Michael didn't get angry at his mother but at Sonny again for fighting with her, Drew is back to wagging his tale hoping for a scratch behind his ears, and Willow is angry at Nina, not that the information was kept from her, not at the person who kept the information causing her to be even more ill (and hopefully closer to dying).

Same. What I wanted most from this reveal was all that Carly deserves raining down on her head from every quarter. Now, other than Nina, it looks like that muted, interrupted reaction from Sonny is all we're gonna get. Please prove me wrong, Show. 

Now I'm worried, if they do a baby switch thing, it'll be Nina who does it so she can continue to be The!Evul and, most likely, Carly the ultimate heroine when she inevitably reveals the truth. Prove me wrong, Show!

Does Willow know that Carly kept the truth to herself yet?

31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ah. The reasoning behind that is to not have negative reactions. Hence the exploding head (which to me is like WTF???? or Are you Fucking Kidding me?!) reactions, is the closest to a "negative" emoji.

Ah, I can see that. But I do think one man being involved with three sisters is worthy of its own emoji. 😉

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
40 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

they won’t give us what we want and let Heather get her target. 

Heather might delay going out again, now that Esme has shown up at Springridge.  She's going to do everything in her power to visit with Esme.  

19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why is anyone allowed to walk in and talk to Esme? The guard said no but still allowed Victor in.

Because Esme said pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, so the guard let it happen.  Guard should be fired.  Nothing happened but still Victor could have done anything he wanted.  

20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Points to Martin in the confrontation with Victor.

Loved that whole scene.  Martin, who knows full well that Lucy is alive and in Victor's clutches somewhere, laying it on super thick that he's just so distraught that he might not be able to give Esme the very best defence and she'll end up having her baby in jail.  Took Victor down a couple of notches.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Good work by CW and Mo today. Sorry for the shallowness but Cynthia seemed to be having a little trouble emoting, is it too many fillers?  Even her words were a little slurred.  It was still good though, I teared up. Sonny was supportive without making it (entirely) about him.  The mf’er was downright charming.   I didn’t know he still had it in him!

Willow and Nina actually look like they could be related. They have very similar faces, it was even more apparent since both were wearing little to no makeup. 

Heather and Ryan were awesome. Total pros. Those two nutbags are a welcome break from all the other heaviness.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 9

Sonny being the voice of reason/stabilizing factor is turning my world upside down.

Am I supposed to be sympathetic toward Heather than she had no time with Esmé the way Nina didn't with Willow? The parallels aren't really the same, Show, so STAHP.

26 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's really embarrassing how much better that boy Antoine's French is the JSP's.  Good actor too.  I wonder why they used the formal 'vous' rather than 'tu' to the boy.

It's probably the difference between a native speaker and someone who knows a lot of French. The "vous" business was weird, though. Adults aren't formal with kids, even ones they just met.

28 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Today [Willow] badmouthed Nina to Sasha who not only works with Nina but really cares for her.

I thought SM did a decent job of showing some conflict there. Sasha does care for Nina, but she also cares for her desperately ill friend. It's not worth upsetting Willow by being solidly on Nina's side, which Sasha didn't do. Though I thought the joke about Sasha being Willow's fake sister was cute.

"How terrible do you have to be for Willow not to like you?" Uh, Michael, you had a giant hand in Willow's attitude toward Nina. Once upon a time, Willow was advocating for Nina to have access to the idiot child, but you put the kibosh on that. Willow is now completely irrational when it comes to Nina, but it didn't come out of nowhere. 

Just now, mostlylurking said:

Sonny was supportive without making it about him.

He mentioned that Deke broke him the way Madeline broke Nina. That wasn't necessary, IMO.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
11 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

He mentioned that Deke broke him the way Madeline broke Nina. That wasn't necessary, IMO.

That’s true…I edited my post.  He just can’t help himself, but it was better than I would ever expect from him. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 3

I wonder if the halo Willow wears ever gets heavy? 
Ryan/Heather and Martin/Victor scenes were the best part of the show. 
Why didn’t Sasha stick up for Nina? They are close. The least she could do is put in a good word about her will that wet blanket.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

An oopsie baby in the forties is not that unusual as the body pumps out extra eggs knowing that it will shut all down soon.

What is disturbing is Curtis' assumption that Portia, who already has an adult daughter not to mention a busy career, will automatically start giving him babies to carry on his, not her, name. It's sexist and patronizing.

Oh man, I haven't watched since Friday.  Sounds like the Facebook Frannies got their way.  They will excuse anything including murder, but they are not going to excuse some harlot running off with anyone's husband.  lol

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

As a French speaker who is married to an English speaker and has friends and colleagues who speak mostly English, anglos tend to use "vous" when speaking to anyone regardless of formal, informal, child, grown up. 

The writers might also have gone through Google translate to write the exchange. Whatever the sentence, there's good odds, it translated "you" into "vous" instead of "tu."

Haven't had the chance to watch the episode, but the recaps I'm reading, I think Nina should just let Willow die. She sounds like a complete cow. And of course Carly won't what should be coming to her. I'm sure the writers will do heir damnest to shine that halo as bright as they can. Because Carly.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And on many medical and even legal shows (Law & Order Mothership), parents had a second child so that the bone marrow could be used to save first child who had cancer/needed a bone marrow.

I thought they used umbilical cord stem cells, not bone marrow?  I don't think it would be enough to help an adult, but there wouldn't be a consent problem like taking it out of a child's bones.

53 minutes ago, jqdeco said:

I wonder if the halo Willow wears ever gets heavy? 
 . . . . .  
Why didn’t Sasha stick up for Nina? They are close. The least she could do is put in a good word about her will that wet blanket.

I agree w/all this! 

I know Willow is sick, but I was hoping Sasha would say something positive about Nina beside her sticking by her family. Just anything to knock Willow down some! I honestly cannot stand her character! Not even her illness can make me like her. Willow is awful always! 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Heather and Ryan were awesome. Total pros. Those two nutbags are a welcome break from all the other heaviness.

Who knew 2 psychos could be so much fun. "Just go stab somebody, anybody"  🤣

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought SM did a decent job of showing some conflict there. Sasha does care for Nina, but she also cares for her desperately ill friend. It's not worth upsetting Willow by being solidly on Nina's side, which Sasha didn't do. Though I thought the joke about Sasha being Willow's fake sister was cute.

Sasha was a very good  friend today. Also Chase was good too. 

• Like 5

"I hate that I collapsed in front of Wiley".  But it was ok to shriek at Nina in front of him, huh?

So who's going to get hooked in place of Joss this time?

"Unclinch, will ya?" Loved that line.

• Like 7

I swear I’m not hating on her but I have an issue. How can Nina look so pretty (great hair, makeup, outfit etc) in one scene but in the very next scene, she looks like her face is made of wax that’s sliding right the hell off of her. It truly confounds me

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I want them to go DARK with Willow.

She grew up in a cult with a crazy mother, was a stolen baby, sexually assaulted in the cult, stalked her own (thought it was hers) baby, lost her baby, had her maternity hidden from her ... I mean, it's right there!

Bring on the PTSD and psychosis!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Who knew 2 psychos could be so much fun. "Just go stab somebody, anybody

And she was all: "I'm trying"  All exasperated that she can't hook anyone right now because her buddy guard was fired for stealing.  And Ryan's response to that was something like "you can't get good help these days'.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I want them to go DARK with Willow.

She grew up in a cult with a crazy mother, was a stolen baby, sexually assaulted in the cult, stalked her own (thought it was hers) baby, lost her baby, had her maternity hidden from her ... I mean, it's right there!

Bring on the PTSD and psychosis!

She's in full on something when she says that Harmony as a mother is better than Nina. Put the girl in a straight jacket and a padded room.

Yes, the woman who pimped her out then told her rapist about his kid is better than the one who wanted very desperately to have a relationship with her grandson. Totes the same.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5

I'm a day behind, but just want to put in my two cents worth which I think will very unpopular.

Willow has been overreacting to Nina.  I won't even try to deny that. But, she does have very real reasons to dislike Nina (and vice versa).  I agree with her that just because they are suddenly related, that doesn't change everything that has gone on before.

Sorry guys ....as you can see, my comment went haywire ... this was the first time posting in the forum since the recent changes and I think the editing button has changed ....anyway forgive all the blank boxes

My comment was this......as I watched the final scene of Nina and Sonny leaving for the hospital, I said out loud to my TV, “these two are now my favorite couple”

And I meant it !!

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

@SiouxB the edit button is hidden under the three dots at the top of your reply.

33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm a day behind, but just want to put in my two cents worth which I think will very unpopular.

Willow has been overreacting to Nina.  I won't even try to deny that. But, she does have very real reasons to dislike Nina (and vice versa).  I agree with her that just because they are suddenly related, that doesn't change everything that has gone on before.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion. Nina and Willow have been like oil and water, but when things were going well between them, they were going well. And this is a reason why what Carly did is so unforgivable because things deteriorated so much between the time Harmony told her the truth and now and she was just content to watch the whole thing fester. 

But I'll keep on basking in my hate over here. Willow is an ass. If Nina is a match, please, go ahead and refuse the bone marrow. Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Willow has been overreacting to Nina.  I won't even try to deny that. But, she does have very real reasons to dislike Nina (and vice versa). 

Dislike, yes. Because MS' Nina accused Willow of being mean to Charlotte and almost got her fired.  Four years ago.

But since then Willow has been the primary mover in the conflict. She completely lost it when Nina told Wylie that she is the mother of his other mother. She knew that Nelle had been taken from Nina when she was unconscious, that Nina had been searching for her child and now with Nelle dead, Wylie was Nina's only living relative and she still wanted Nina to have no contact with Wylie at all.

It's Willow's fault that Nina thought that she and TJ were having an affair, partly because she didn't tell anyone about her cancer but just hugged TJ around corners, and because Nina was so desperate to see Wylie that she projected on to Willow. Had Nina been allowed to visit Wylie and spend time with him, she probably wouldn't have been so quick to condemn Willow with TJ.

2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Nina and Willow have been like oil and water, but when things were going well between them, they were going well. And this is a reason why what Carly did is so unforgivable because things deteriorated so much between the time Harmony told her the truth and now and she was just content to watch the whole thing fester.

More than content, Carly relished and encouraged it. She did the 'Poor me, Nina has stolen my husband and my hotel' and basked in the sympathy. As a mother of 4 plus Avery and grandmother of one, she could have reached out to Michael and Willow to let Nina have time with Wylie. But that's not Carly.

• Like 6
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1

Willow’s hatred of Nina to this level started when Wiley told her she wasn’t his mother. Underneath it all, the main issue is that Nina’s presence reminded her that she wasn’t Wiley’s biological mother and she couldn’t handle that on top of Michael and Carly egging her on due to their hatred of Nelle. They hated her well before Nixon Falls and it was completely unjustified because she had done nothing to either of them. It was all because of Nelle. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 11

Valentin and Anna being this fluff couple is weird and they’re basically off on their own little show. They show once every 1 or 2 weeks in a new location, make a half hearted attempt to “investigate” and engage in PDA. I wonder what’s the point? There’s a lack of agency with Lucy with everyone who cares about her, save maybe Martin who is barely on. I’m sure JPS lack of availability is in play here but it’s weird that they isolated FH due to his schedule for these nothing scenes if that’s the case. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

French boy should have been casted as Rocco. He looks like he could be related to Julie's Lulu and JJ's Lucky.

Hmm Esme was left at the doorstep of a convent.

Oh I cannot with Sonny and Nina and the corny things that they say to each other.  I still want to punch the writer who came up with the purest love ever dialogue.

I also wish that the hair people at GH would use different shades of blonde for LW and CW because I keep thinking Nina looks like Carly when her back is to the camera.

Edited by nilyank
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

After today's episode, I know what's going on, but I can't write about it in detail.  I signed up with my twitter account, and had an avatar not suitable for here, and am on thin ice.  Even though I never even thought about my avatar carrying over from twitter.  :(

They are writing Willow in a manner that is exciting a portion of the audience.  A young woman, eager to die to avoid the miniscule risk of a delivery at 8 months.  BEGGING to die.  Some of the audience is so excited over this, they're drooling.  They picked up on what was going on long before I did, because they are atuned for it. They are drooling.  It's driving a lot of the Nina hate.  Because Willow you see, is a Saint now.  Because she is begging to be allowed to die to save the tiniest little risk of basically nothing, of a early delivery.  Begging to die.  

Disgusting.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1