Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Belief System

Bort
  • Start Topic

When Devon’s patient, who was pronounced dead, suddenly revives, Conrad is left doubting Devon’s judgement and wondering what happened. A well-known white supremacist falls under the care of Cain and Nic, causing the two to butt heads on how to move forward. Meanwhile, on their way to a medical convention, The Raptor and Mina get stuck in a strange town, where they uncover new information about Red Rock Medical.

Airdate: Tuesday, October 15, 2019

• Like 1

That scene with Mina and the Raptor in a restaurant made me think of this ghost story where this guy ends up in a town full of dead people and they shun him because he's not a ghost. It was kind of creepy.

I am hoping the storyline about them suing Chastain's new owner happens and results in the hospital ownership changing again. If they support that $80 million a year doctor making moves like he did with the racist patient, they can not be good.

2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

But the annoying 80-mil-a-year doctor is boring.  Please write him off.

So Dr. CanDoNoWrong fucked up. I hope he gets fired (I don't like Morris Chestnut anyway). Yes, write him off.

• Love 5

What a strange episode. I don't know what to make of it. Vampire Chick was super annoying and dumb. The scene of Mina and The Raptor in the cornstalks with the scarecrow reminded me of the opening to Jeepers Creepers, lol. I'm bummed this episode didn't air closer to Halloween so I could fully appreciate what they were going for.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm not really sure I liked the episode. I know it was meant to be weird and Halloween-related, but it might be too weird for me.

I have to laugh at Cain completely fucking up with his patient. Well, no shit Hades was the primary personality, so to speak. Funny how Cain didn't even stop to think if that would be the case. I guess it's good that Hades survived, so that his followers don't storm the hospital and start killing the doctors, starting with Bell.

Mina/AJ's plot was way too weird. It took me out of the actual medical reasoning for what was going on in the town. Just get these two together already. I'm already ready for their Will They/Won't They be done.

What was up with Conrad this episode? I know Devon can be frustrating, but I found Conrad to be way too aggressive and dickish toward Devon. He practically stormed in, accusing Devon of being a bad doctor when his patient essentially rose from the dead. Their tension really feels out of place. I get why Devon's annoyed at Conrad, but no idea why Conrad was accusing Devon of not doing his job right.

Vampire Chick is the worst type of person. I'm glad her boyfriend chose his health.

• Love 12

I wish that racist faux Richard Spencer died, along with racist friends. I hate people like that. I may be the only one that doesn’t mind the narcissistic doctor. It keeps things interesting. I did have a problem with Conrad being a dick to Devon for no reason.

Vampire girlfriend was annoying. I hope she gets hepatitis.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I want to add: Hades knew that he was being stripped of his rights when the doc gave him the ketamine.  Hades could sue  him, and being racist and terrible AF, I don’t know why he wouldn’t.

And yes- I was actually worried for Bell in that scene. 

Next week looks interesting.  

That subplot about the town in rural Georgia losing its hospital is based on real life.  Much of Georgia is NOT Atlanta, and most of it is rural.  Believe it or not, Georgia has more land mass than any state east of the Mississippi!  Yes, larger than New York or Pennsylvania!

Georgia also has more counties than any other state (180!).  For comparison, California has 48 counties.  Many of Georgia's rural counties have 1000-2000 residents, so county-run hospitals don't make financial sense.  Many counties have joined forces to build regional hospitals but, again, the small number of potential patients within an hour's drive of these makes then non-feasible.

Florida used to have a similar problem in northern parts of the state (maybe they still do; I'm not sure).  A private Trust built a series of small clinics in those sparse areas to handle the immediate needs of patients.  They were (are) staffed with a single doctor and a nurse or nurse practitioner.  As Florida grew in population, some of these clinics were being merged/phased out as no longer needed. 

Georgia could use a private Trust to help us out with this, too!

• Useful 11
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Mina/AJ's plot was way too weird. It took me out of the actual medical reasoning for what was going on in the town. Just get these two together already. I'm already ready for their Will They/Won't They be done.

Yeah, I'm sick of these two.  Just get them together already, or have them have a conversation where they agree it's better for them to remain friends.  

And while I understand that he's her mentor and was trying to bolster her confidence, I'm also sick and tired of him blowing smoke up her ass. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That scene with Mina and the Raptor in a restaurant made me think of this ghost story where this guy ends up in a town full of dead people and they shun him because he's not a ghost. It was kind of creepy.

That's *exactly* where I thought they were going to go with that.

15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

With all of the "creepy", "scary" things going on in this episode, what scared me? When the racist guy grabbed Bell by the throat...I must have jumped a mile!!!

For me it was when "Doug" turned back into "Hades."  The hairs on my arms stood up, I was so creeped out.  Kudos to that actor.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Reminded me of one of the old Rod Serling "Twilight Zone" episodes.

• Love 7

I flashed back to the early Supernatural episode where the couple gets lost, spots a creepy scarecrow, has car trouble, and is forced to spend the night in a weird small town. Things could have been a lot worse than weird dreams, guys! (Though I agree that having this pairing crammed down our throats has long since gotten old.)

Also guessed that the 'good' personality was the one being created by the seizures as soon as they saw the first MRI, it's ridiculous that the characters didn't even consider the possibility. (Although upon further thought, what would have been the kinder course of action if they did realize it before doing the surgery? If you interpret the non-racist seizure personality as a distinct character, would he prefer to continue to exist if he could only surface occasionally, and then in the body and life of such a vile person? From the early scenes, it didn't seem as though he had enough sway to keep Hades from being best-known as a prominent member of the hate group, so the notion that he'll be even worse now that he doesn't have another personality to keep him in check doesn't really fly either.)

Edited by Emma9
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I was distracted during the 1st part of the show ... how did the "dead guy" come back to life? What did Devon get or do wrong?

Both Conrad and the evil surgeon stand so close to people to make their points. I'd be backing away ... personal space people!  Hopefully they have fresh breath.

Mina is just so stunningly gorgeous. It is distracting.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I was distracted during the 1st part of the show ... how did the "dead guy" come back to life? What did Devon get or do wrong?

Lazarus Syndrome, spontaneous resuscitation potentially due to the buildup of pressure from CPR. Devon didn't get anything wrong, the guy did technically die, Conrad was just being a jerk.

• Love 5

Well....if it took a fictional racist to one up Dr. God, I'll still be happy.  Someone outsmarted him??  The guy played him right?   Letting him believe the sympathetic "real" him.  Mentally ill people can be very cunning.  

Bell was really good in his acting tonight, just a tilt of the head, a slight making of a fist or the twitch of an eye and he says volumes.  It's amazing.  

I believe Conrad is still Devons boss, or attending so he's still supposed to be in charge of Devon.  And awww, their break up was just like the not on the same page blood drinkers!  

Still, this is going to kill this show.  Where is the Devon who broke into (talked into) someone's apartment and stole mail?  Who's this new guy?  Who's this new Bell?  When did the raptor get cuddly?

Every season they're rewriting back story and it's annoying.  As is criminally under using Feldman.  Gah, show, you jumped the shark. :(

• Love 4
On 10/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, KaveDweller said:

I must have seen that same movie, because I was envisioning that exact same scenario. At first, I thought it was a fun twist on the usual horror movie tropes to have the real "horror" be the fear/anger of Red Rock Mountain Medical, but then it seemed to get ridiculous that the townspeople would be so mad at doctors that they would shun medical treatment (thinking in particular about the waitress). Doctors didn't cause their situation, a medical company did.

On 10/18/2019 at 9:22 PM, katalizt said:

Lazarus Syndrome, spontaneous resuscitation potentially due to the buildup of pressure from CPR. Devon didn't get anything wrong, the guy did technically die, Conrad was just being a jerk.

Yes, Conrad was being a COLOSSAL jerk, even more so than usual. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Almost a week later and I am still wondering how they managed to use an operating room in a closed hospital! Even if the equipment was still there, why was there electricity, water, etc??? Everything they needed for surgery seemed to be available. Would not this "empty" hospital have been stripped of all the needed things? They were hanging IV bags, etc. Seemed strange to me!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Raptor and Mina road trip and the bit at the end where she imagined him alone in the audience! GIVE ME ALL THE CUTE STUFF before you get them together! 

I always worry about them trying to create angst after couples get together (which to be fair they did very well with Connic and avoided anything awful) so let me have all the Mina and Raptor cuteness for now.

I very much believe that the Raptor is a romantic (remember when he walked in the snow for her) so this was *swoon*

I also like Mina with him. She was weird with Micah but here she feels like authentic snarky Mina, albeit one in a super cute ship! 

I felt bad for the new doc with the big ego. I think I am the only one but I felt really bad for him. 

Not sure where they are going with Bell. They need to give him a proper storyline. He's kinda just drifting around. Bell deserves more than this!!!

The Devon/Conrad thing feels like contrived bromance drama that they cooked up because Mina and Raptor are cute and they don't want to mess around with Connic. So poor Devon is now some how embroiled in a peculiar OOC bromance angst plot just like the messy plot with him and the sales rep lady.

Still love the show and I think it is one of the best Halloween episodes I have seen considering they are a medical drama. It had a really dramatic Halloween air to it.

• Love 3

I just watched this episode and well that was an odd one. I know the guy had a psych history, but uhhh how would a psychiatrist know "oh if you cut out the bad tissue in the brain it'll get rid of the non-racist"

• Like 1
On 10/16/2019 at 7:22 AM, Gregg247 said:

Georgia also has more counties than any other state (180!). 

My mom, who was from Georgia, told me that there were previously even more counties, but some of them chose to merge some time in the past. They must have been the size of a throw rug.

Racist guy was like a character Edward Norton played in a small movie called Primal Fear.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:36 PM, Lovecat said:

That's *exactly* where I thought they were going to go with that.

For me it was when "Doug" turned back into "Hades."  The hairs on my arms stood up, I was so creeped out.  Kudos to that actor.

The actor looked like the guy in the original Pet Semetary [sic] that got hit by the car and kept showing up as a ghost.