Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: 117

(edited)

So...that was it?

This is just my initial reaction which may change after I sleep on it, but I am highly disappointed by this season already. I'm sorry, but I'm still not liking Malia and I still don't like the idea of her being Peter's daughter. I personally don't see any resemblance between them, besides maybe some snarky remarks here and there, and I'm just not liking her at all. 

Also...bail bonds? That's what Peter has in that safe in his vault? One hundred and seventeen million? First of all, why hasn't he used it way before today, and second of all how did he and his family get that sort of money? Did Derek actually know about it? What were they planning to use it for? Who would know about it? And more importantly, why should I care?

I gotta say, young Derek grew on me, but why did older Derek randomly come back in the middle of the fight? I just don't understand.

On a more positive note, I liked Kira and Scott. I've grown to appreciate Scott's good hearted nature and I like how he did have to lie but for his own morals. I liked Sheriff Stilinski basically yelling at his son for lying about Mexico, and inquiring about time travel. I also liked Deputy Parrish and hate the other deputy. Parrish just helped make the episode ok. 

In other news, Deaton still doesn't provide any answers and doesn't know it for once, Kate being alive is not as interesting to me because we have no idea what her plan really is besides using Derek to control her shift (um...she went through all that trouble to find the vault?) and Scott's dad is neutral to me. I liked Stiles bringing the bat again to a fight, and scary dudes are more boring than anything. 

But hey, young Derek is a better fighter than older Derek. Heh.

Edited by jessied112
(edited)

Peter, have you ever heard of a Swiss bank? You DO NOT leave $117 million under a school!

Sheriff Stilinski reaction to younger Derek was hilarious.

Also, the color of the eyes always confuses me. What did Derek's yellow ones mean at the end?

Edited by redsox7819

Good lord, Scott is a shitty alpha.  Once again, he can't even so much as hurt the berserker (one of whom was Lou Ferringo's son according to the credits) but a non-alpha can.  I get Scott not being the best fighter and I bought a non-alpha beating him in a fight last year.  But the fact that he can't so much as hurt these creatures is ridiculous.

Then we have Teenage Derek, who is as dumb and gullible as Adult Derek.  He might be reverted back to his youth but he can't tell that Kate is older?

Got to love the contrivances that the show creates...Peter had $117 million dollars in bonds but just likes to waste his time terrorizing kids in Beacon Hill.  This show just gets stupider and stupider all the time.

I did love though the Sheriff asking Scott and Stiles if they had traveled back in time.  That entire bit was great.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, much better episode than last week.  I've got mixed feelings on a couple of things, but overall I really liked the episode.

So glad Derek's back, even if I'm not sure if he's entirely back.  Not a slight on Ian Nelson, who did a fine job with the role, but I was missing my Tyler Hoechlin fix.

Loved the Sheriff's scene(s).  His time-travel comment made me laugh.  I also liked Deputy Parrish.  I'm hoping Derek remembers that Parrish was nice to him and maybe they can become friends(?).  Derek needs a friend or two his own age.  Possibly he also needs glasses, because young Derek should have noticed that Kate looks almost a decade older than the last time he saw her.

I thought the scene at the beginning when Lydia was first holding young Derek's hand was really nice.  Just one of those little moments but it was sweet.  It was also nice to get an acknowledgement that Lydia has taken at least one AP class.

A little piece of my heart is broken because Hale House is officially torn down.  Yeah, I know it's been gone since the show moved from GA to L.A., but in my mind it's still been off in the woods somewhere.  I'm sad.  And then they had to go and talk about whether to tell Derek his family was dead, and another piece of my heart broke proactively in anticipation of that scene, which then never came.

I'd forgotten that Scott didn't know about Derek and Kate's history.  

I might be more interested in the Berserkers next week, but this time when I saw the first one I was too busy muttering about Peter taking off like that, and when the second one came around from the side of the pillar like a giant madagascar cockroach I was too busy going ewww before realizing what it was.

I loved the Miguel nod to the first season.  The stuff between Stiles and Derek and Rafe was cute in a first-season way.  

When I watch Scott and his friends fight, I wonder how it's only Allison who's dead. 

I'm still not liking Malia and I still don't like the idea of her being Peter's daughter. I personally don't see any resemblance between them, besides maybe some snarky remarks here and there, and I'm just not liking her at all.

Yeah, I'm not liking her very much either.  I will admit this much, though - the Malia who was sitting in class not knowing the answer to the question about Lincoln?  Her I could like in small doses.  It's the rest of her that annoys me.

But hey, young Derek is a better fighter than older Derek. Heh.

At one of the cons, Tyler H.  was asked: if Derek, the Sheriff, Coach and Chris Argent were all in a fight, who would win?  His answer was basically joking, "Not Derek.  Have you seen the show?" or something to that effect.  

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 2
(edited)

I kept expecting Chris Argent to be the one revealed at the end but somehow I doubt that.

Speaking of Lincoln, they made an error.  He never lost a race for a United States House of Representatives seat (though he lost one years earlier for the Illinois House of Representatives.  He ran once in 1846 and won.  One of the promises of new Whig Party members that year is that they wouldn't run for another term (sadly many current members of Congress don't believe this) and didn't run for reelection.  I love reading about Presidential history so that mistake annoyed me.

Edited by benteen

Hmm, hopefully this money helps explain how Derek and Peter have money despite having no apparent job.  And now that money is gone, maybe we'll see them flipping burgers or something.  

What's the point of Deaton?  He never knows anything.  The only useful thing he's ever done is poison nogitsune!Stiles so that he could go hook up with Malia.  

Gods, I hope Kate's point is something more than sexually assaulting a kid and trying to get some pendant.  If that's all it was, that would be the worst sort of stupid this show has done.

(edited)

Who thought it was a good idea to put Malia in high school when she doesn't know about Lincoln and is eating school supplies?

How doesn't Derek recognize he is in the future? Didn't he notice the smartphones and tasers and the fashion being different and Kate being much older?

Two plot points that bothered me.

I'll suspend my disbelief in the Hale family's possession of millions of dollars of bonds and shady Uncle Peter not running off with it into the sunset to give the show more time to explain it.

I know JD frequently glosses over stuff, though, so I'm not holding my breath for an explanation. Maybe the Hale's can't cash the bonds for some reason? Or maybe the obligee only recently attained the ability to repay the bonds? (Prior, the bonds were worth 0 or close to nothing.)

Overall, I would describe this as one of the stronger Teen Wolf episodes but with the usual high number of inconsistencies.

Edited by resonance

I'll suspend my disbelief in the Hale family's possession of millions of dollars of bonds and shady Uncle Peter not running off with it into the sunset to give the show more time to explain it.

Why would he run off with it? A comfortable happy life isn't his plans from what we've seen.

(edited)

Sheriff Stilinski for the win.

As for the rest... meh. I get that fight at the end had to be Derek's but did they really need Malia, Scott and Kira just lying there watching him fight in slow mo for so long? I really dislike when a show insists on demeaning a character so they can prop another. It just made Scott look like a terrible apha. Worse than that, I didn't buy it. Scott has repeatedly demonstrate that he'll throw himself into danger for his pack. Once Derek stepped in, he would have stepped up. If they wanted to do it that way, they should have had him knocked out.

I hold out hope that Kate's plan will make some sense at some stage but how did reverting to an adult restore Derek's eyes to a normal Beta's?

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 2

Got to love the contrivances that the show creates...Peter had $117 million dollars in bonds but just likes to waste his time terrorizing kids in Beacon Hill.  This show just gets stupider and stupider all the time.

Hey hey hey, money doesn't keep you from being a loser...or that one guy in town.

I liked this episode. JD was kidding when he said that they're were bringing back season 1-2 silliness. It's just a little jarring after last year’s delve into American Horror Story territory.

Sheriff Stilinski and Deputy Handsome are the only competent police officers in Beacon Hills.

Also, is Ryan Kelley's hair darker or something because it took me a minute or two to recognize him.

Sheriff Stilinski continues to be the best.  He was in fine form tonight.  Stiles was great too.  His "Oh God" after Papa McCall started speaking to Derek in Spanish was perfect.

I still don't like Papa McCall.  I have no desire to see a redemption arc for him.  Sometimes parents just genuinely suck.

Kate kissing young Derek was so disturbing to me that I stopped watching for a minute to check the actor's age.

• Love 3

I really don't like how the show is writing Stalia. Stiles talking about Malia breaking in 5 times and all that other stuff... they're playing it up for laughs but, I'm sorry, it's creepy. I don't mind Malia, but Stalia? No, thanks. And for the record, I loathe both Sterek and Stydia, so this ain't the contrary shipper in me talking, lol.

I don't get what Papa Yukimura's deal was in class. Surely Kira must have filled him in on Malia? He's already aware of the supernatural, so there'd be no reason to keep him in the dark about that. So why single her out like that? Oh right, for humor. 

• Love 2

The Sherrif asking about time travel was funny, but the part that got me was Stiles' explanation of what actually happened and him realizing about half-way through the description that it sounded just as ludicrous.

They didn't reveal who the thief was (I half expected it to be Chris Argent except his name wasn't in the opening credits), so I guess that's for next week.  My question is, was Kate in on the scheme or was she duped also?  It would make more sense if she was part of the plan (though de-aging Derek just to get him to trust her and show her the vault is awfully convoluted), but she seemed sincere about wanting the triskelion, angry when Peter told her it was a fake, and surprised by the gas-bomb attack.

The Hero Shots of Derek taking on 3 Berserkers while Scott and crew lay there watching was ridiculous.  So were the young!Derek / old!Derek / young!Derek / old!Derek transitions during the fight.

I hold out hope that Kate's plan will make some sense at some stage but how did reverting to an adult restore Derek's eyes to a normal Beta's?

I'm getting confused on the color coding.  Yellow = innocent beta, Blue = beta who has killed a human, Red = Alpha regardless.  I couldn't really tell if newly!older!Derek's eyes were yellow or green.  I thought they might be green to indicate that he's been turned into a were-jaguar also.

(edited)

I can accept that the Hales have some sort of money around given that they don't work but seem to have plenty of income for nice things, but this never before mentioned vault beneath the school?  Okay.  (Also this episode just made me think...what exactly does Peter do all day?  Sit around the loft and order V-necks off Amazon?)

So Kate's plan was to go through the effort of magically deaging Derek just so he could tell her where this vault was?  Seems like there were easier ways.

I agree with the other posters who noted that Scott's complete combat incompetence considering he is supposed to be this alpha-werewolf is becoming ridiculous.  Why power-up your hero if you don't actually want them to be any more powerful?

I can't figure out if Deputy Handsome is the new red herring like the role the old chemistry teacher always played of if they are setting up a big reveal with him.

Overall this episode entertained me enough though.

Edited by Atony
  • Love 1

This show is ridiculous in its mysteries and plots but I enjoyed this episode just because we get a lot of the old Stiles back. I love all his shtick with Sheriff Stilinski, young!Derek and Papa McCall. I thought I'd be immune to Stiles' brand of humor because I've become so familiar with it after 3 seasons, but I was really amused during all of his scenes this episode. Especially that final scene where he looked so gleeful about Peter getting robbed. Heh. Also: "How do you spell that?" "Phonetically."

Downsides: more slow-mo and lame and boring fighting scenes. They went on WAY too long. Scott's "pack" is the most inept group of supernatural creatures of all time. They might as well be normal humans.

Hm... not sure how I feel about it. First off positive:

I love the Sheriff, "if time travel is involved I'm so checking myself in". And that it explained that they did lie about going to Mexico and as usual led to a great scene between Stiles and his dad. The vet having no idea what happened was good too. I also liked Kira and Scott this episode.

negative:

I was confused on why Derek just changed back in the middle of the fight. Maybe they'll explain next week, but probably not. And Peter had money under the school?

At one of the cons, Tyler H.  was asked: if Derek, the Sheriff, Coach and Chris Argent were all in a fight, who would win?  His answer was basically joking, "Not Derek.  Have you seen the show?" or something to that effect.  

obviously Argent would win, followed by the sheriff. I think Derek might be able to take the coach maybe lol.

• Love 2

I think sound editing neglected to put in a bone crack noise when Scott got tossed over the stair railing. We saw Malia's leg get slashed and we saw Kira get concussed, but for Scott to be lying around on the ground during a fight, they needed to make clear he was injured. Otherwise, it's way too out of character. (I did really like Scott's hero worship look when Kira jumped in front of him to face down the berserkers. "My (once and future) girlfriend is AWESOME!" And then his upset when she was injured. <3)

Loved Stiles and "Miguel" versus Agent McCall, loved Papa Stilinski freaked out by magical shenanigans, loved seeing Mr. Yukimura again, loved Kira and Lydia developing a friendship, loved Deputy Parrish being nice to young Derek, loved Malia versus Peter and Peter versus Kate, loved that Kate thought she was so smart with her convoluted plan and she was just wrong in her entire premise. Hated Mr. Yukimura embarrassing Malia in class, hated Malia's dubious consent nighttime visits to Stiles, HATED Kate macking on bb!Derek! I had to close my eyes during that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also I'm not sure what was the point that Derek was still struggling with a full moon?  Both Scott and Isaac mastered the full moon in a couple months.  It seems silly that someone who has been a werewolf since birth like a ~16 year old Derek was still struggling so much with a full moon.

I do think Ian Nelson did a commendable job of capturing how Tyler Hoechlin portrays Derek.  Kudos to him.

Edited by Atony
(edited)

This was a fun episode, I enjoyed it. Loved Stiles' interactions with everyone. This show is never going to give up the slo-mo, but it was better used than in the past, as was the show's pacing.

Loved Kira taking on the Berserkers, and Scott's look of awe. lol  It's dumb that they have to diminish Scott to make Derek look good, but I do like that the pack is inexperienced. I don't care if they lose fights etc. I like that ramshackle quality, of making it up as they go along. It leaves room for growth. They're not a cohesive unit, they're teens muddling through. But Scott should definitely be stronger than what was portrayed, even if he isn't much of a fighter.

I was sad to see young Derek go so quickly. The actor did a good job, and for once Derek looked to be fitting into the pack. The hints of Lydia/Derek was interesting. It seems strange that they de-aged him just to quickly turn him back. So I'm not sure it's over yet.

I don't mind the imprinting aspect of Malia/Stiles. I like how they work off each other. Stiles with his scatterish humour, while Malia is a bit more deadpan. I also like how she's impulsive, but I wish she wasn't Peter's daughter. The show already has too much Hale family drama. When he started looking at her and talking about her eyes, I rolled my own. Ian can be such a hammy actor.

I was surprised to see Agent McCall. I completely forgot about him tbh. So are he and Melissa back together? I thought his scenes with Stiles and Scott were fun. I like that an adult doesn't know about the supernatural, so things need to be hidden and covered up. I was bummed when the Sheriff found out, so maybe Agent McCall has been brought in to create that dynamic.

What was Stiles looking at when in the Sheriff's office. Something about a letter with the asylum stamp on it?

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 1

When I watch Scott and his friends fight, I wonder how it's only Allison who's dead.

I suppose it makes sense in that knowledgeable opponents focused their efforts on the one kid who seemed to know what she was doing and made smart, effective moves as opposed to all the ones who were bouncing off walls to show off their parkour skills or just tripping over themselves. I know I'd gun for the girl shooting arrows into me before the boy who inexplicably starts breakdancing in the middle of a fight.

Interesting that the amount Peter quoted for the missing bearer bonds is actually more than the total value of outstanding bonds the US Treasury still has. I wonder if the Hales were into counterfeiting?

• Love 1
(edited)

I was surprised to see Agent McCall. I completely forgot about him tbh. So are he and Melissa back together?

Naw, he was sleeping on the couch. It sounds like he's trying to get back into Scott's good graces by doing some maintenance work on the house for them.

What was Stiles looking at when in the Sheriff's office. Something about a letter with the asylum stamp on it?

There was a billing envelope from the asylum stamped with Second Notice, meaning that the bill for Stiles' stay is past due.

I know I'd gun for the girl shooting arrows into me before the boy who inexplicably starts breakdancing in the middle of a fight.

Hee! Truth!

Interesting that the amount Peter quoted for the missing bearer bonds is actually more than the total value of outstanding bonds the US Treasury still has. I wonder if the Hales were into counterfeiting?

Bearer bonds =/= US Treasury Bonds. Bearer bonds can be issued by any company, corporation, or government entity, and are payable at face value when presented, which makes them easily storable and cashable. Keeping the entire Hale family fortune in one place? Not so smart! Edited by ahisma
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was with Stiles in being greatly amused that this was just a straight up money heist. I figured the Hales were rich, but I had them pegged for more like $5 - 10 million.  I'm guessing Kate was lied to also, because otherwise her triskelion trick is not the best lie she could have told Derek. 

I'm trying to figure out the color of Derek's eyes. Is them turning yellow supposed to signal some kind of redemption? Or is he going to be some kind of special wanted creature because his eyes have gone yellow-blue-red-blue-yellow?

I loved Derek running away from Kate when he realized Scott was there. For all Derek's flaws, he never leaves a member of his pack in danger.

I loved Scott's little moment of turning the clock away as he lied to his dad that it was midnight instead of 4 a.m. 

Sheriff Stilinski continues to be awesome, though I was disappointed he fell for "camping trip." His time travel line was great. It's my official headcanon that while a Teen Wolf remake is happening in Beacon Hills, a Back to the Future remake is happening in Hill Valley since they've established that as the next town over.

Bearer bonds =/= US Treasury Bonds. Bearer bonds can be issued by any company, corporation, or government entity, and are payable at face value when presented, which makes them easily storable and cashable. Keeping the entire Hale family fortune in one place? Not so smart!

I just read up on bearer bonds. Apparently they're nearly impossible to recover when stolen because there are no records of the purchase. Good when you need to quickly escape town and leave no trail behind for hunters. Bad way to store money any other time.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 1
It seems strange that they de-aged him just to quickly turn him back. So I'm not sure it's over yet.

I wonder if the rest of the season will be Derek shifting back and forth to his younger self, just because we don't know exactly how this 'spell' of Kate works. It's weird that he could shift back during a fight, although maybe his purpose had been fulfilled at that point.

(edited)

I like that an adult doesn't know about the supernatural, so things need to be hidden and covered up. I was bummed when the Sheriff found out, so maybe Agent McCall has been brought in to create that dynamic.

Agreed. There needs to be at least one parent character who doesn't know anything about the werewolves so that Stiles gets to tell elaborate unconvincing lies again. I always enjoy Stiles's lying!flail routine. Agent McCall must just think Stiles is one seriously messed up kid.

I liked last weeks Mexican adventure better, but I'm relieved the Derek de-aged storyline is over. I still don't feel the de-aging was at all necessary (was Tyler H not available to shoot the first two episodes or something?) unless maybe as a way to remind the viewers that Derek/Kate had a past relationship. I'd have preferred exposition myself. The only good thing to come out of the younger!Derek story was the Sheriff's "Boooys, be honest...have you been time travelling?" reaction. The parents on this show are the best.    

I'm so bummed that the Kate/Peter fight was interrupted. How long will we have to wait for a rematch?

Edited by Yitzhak

Not bad. Sheriff Stilinski is as awesome as usual and I agree that his line about time travel was one of the best things of the episode. Stiles was on fire too and I loved to see the cousin Miguel stuff again.

I like Malia, but the way she decided to go to see Peter with Scott was a bit random. 

Peter's bit about teaching Derek control through anger might be related to how young Derek changed into old(er) Derek mid fight. While it's great that for once Derek was able to win I wish it hadn't been because a werewolf alpha, a werecoyote and a kitsune were flopping on the ground for no apparent reason.

I'm a bit confused about the eyes. Tumblr has done it's thing and there are gif sets of Derek's various eye colours and they look like a brighter/purer yellow than his previous beta eyes. It might just be the gif colouring but I'm finding change back to yellow weird. Maybe it's a sign that whatever Kate did hasn't gone away.

I would miss the pretty if Derek was permanently de-aged but he fits in with the pack so much better as a teenager. 

I absolutely hated the scene with Malia in class (but loved her turning up to be Scott's backup when he went to see Peter). They're trying to make her the Anya of TW , those sort of scenes are played for laughs but this one made me angry- what is her father thinking sending her to high school when she's in no way equipped to deal with it? If she has to be in school with everyone else I wish they'd just gloss ever it, don't lampshade the stupid pretend it doesn't exist. 

And forget about the money in vault I'm more curious about what else the Hales have in that place.  

Possible answer for the eye color: Peter asked what color Derek's eyes were to deduct what age he was brought to. Maybe the reversion here isn't complete, physically he aged up but mentally/physically he's now pre-Paige.

They showed bb!Derek flashing his eyes at Deaton, though, and they were blue. That and the fact that he knew Kate showed that he was post-Paige. So this sudden change back to gold is weird. (I liked the old, contacts+effects gold better than this all-CGI yellow.)

Oh! And I forgot about the big parallel they did this episode with how the Scooby gang withholds vital information instead of sharing it.

1). With bb!Derek they chose not to tell him the truth about his family and Kate's involvement and it put him at a disadvantage, leaving him open to manipulation. If they had brought him to Peter earlier, they could've told him the truth and Peter has the past knowledge to convince Derek they were telling him the truth. 

2).They're doing the same thing with Malia and not telling her what they know about her potential paternal parentage. Is this omission going to come back bite them in the butt the way it did with Malia's cousin?

Maybe Stiles will be the one to tell her, which would bring them closer. What ramifications there are, could go either way, depending on the backstory. We still don't know what the relationship was between Peter and Malia's mother. And why whatshername took his memory. Which points to something unsavoury.

(edited)

Since Peter was responsible for biting both Scott and Lydia and trying to use them in his power plays, I can see why Stiles wouldn't want anyone else that he cares about to get too close to Peter Hale. That said, I do want them to cut to the chase with Malia learning that Peter is her father, plus I'm interested to know what Peter's reaction will be to Stiles/Malia. 

Edited by Yitzhak
(edited)

I don't get everyone's reaction to Malia not knowing the answer to the question in class.  I don't think for a second it's because she can't cope with high school.  Maybe she didn't have time to study because she was in Mexico the day before?  I didn't think that Scott or Stiles knew the answer either for the same reason.  Maybe she isn't the best student, neither is Scott really.  It could be any number of things.  Hell I didn't know the answer and I don't have to deal with half the stuff they do.

Do Scott and Stiles know that Malia is Peter's daughter?  I was under the impression that only Lydia knew?   Unless I'm not remembering a scene which is possible.  I thought that might be the reason Scott was nervous to introduce the two of them but that may have been just because of the kind of character Peter is and the kind of character Malia is.  Which are understandably similar now that I think about it.

I fast forwarded a lot because the Kate/Derek freaked me the hell out.  Ew on so many levels.  Am I to believe that Derek was that young when they went out?  That's the only explanation that would explain his not being confused about how old she was and if so, gross.  Seriously.  I never want to see Kate tongue another young teenager on this show ever again.

All in all I liked the episode, it has a lot of entertaining moments and some interesting things happened to move the plot forward so I was satisfied.

Edited by blugirlami21
(edited)

This show is silly but it  is a good kind of silly.  The I hate that I am a grown up and have to work during the summer and now that it is evening all I want to do is turn off my brain for 45+ minutes and watch some shirtless and pretty people do stupid and crazy shit silly.

Line of the night:  

Sheriff Stilinski:  I want you to be honest with me.  Absolutely and completely honest.  Have you been time traveling?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Line of the night:  

Sheriff Stilinski:  I want you to be honest with me.  Absolutely and completely honest.  Have you been time traveling?  

This line is even funnier if you're a Continuum fan. His total confusion is what many of us have felt when watching this season. lol

Line of the night:

Sheriff Stilinski: I want you to be honest with me. Absolutely and completely honest. Have you been time traveling?

Lol, I loved that. The sheriff is the best. "If you've been time traveling, then I'm out." Also Stiles' babbly response about how they found Derek in an Aztec temple in Mexico and the sheriff is all, "you said you went camping!"

I also enjoyed the return of Papa Yakimura. Sometimes the parents really shine on this show. I'm even starting to not completely loathe Agent McCall. I liked his bonding with "Miguel."

I did really like Scott's hero worship look when Kira jumped in front of him to face down the berserkers. "My (once and future) girlfriend is AWESOME!" And then his upset when she was injured.

I liked that she was awesome, but hated that she turned back to make goo-goo eyes at Scott in the middle of a fight.  Blech, no.

• Love 1