Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

I think there are two kinds of awards shows.  One group are the Emmys and Golden Globes category which are like the establishment and they play favourites like crazy.  They have tunnel vision for a few channels and a specific kind of show and no matter how good you are on a sci fi show, your chances of winning are like a match in a hurricans.  As hard as he tries and as good as he is, Stephen Amell isn't going to beat Kevin Spacey, Bryan Cranston or Jon Hamm. Even Hugh Laurie had a tough time doing that and never did win an Emmy.  The only chance for an Emmy that Arrow has is in a technical or stunt category.

Then there are the pop awards, like Teen Choice. They're going to be dominated by the faves of people who have enough time and desire to keep voting over and over again for the actors they like, irrespective of performance.

In between are the guild shows, like the Director's Guild or the Television Critics awards, and good acting on a show that isn't an Emmy favourite can still get you a win (e.g. Tatiana Maslany two years in a row).

• Love 1

But Arrow being a genre show even with the backing of WB/DC probably won't get a second look beyond stunt coordination. I really hope they do at least get a nomination for that because it would be well deserved. 

Considering that Smallville managed to win 3 Emmys for Sound Editing, a nomination or win for Arrow in one of the tech categories shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

(edited)

They seem like so much fun together.  (and surprise, she answered my question about Felicity training)

Give Me My  Remote fan awards  http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/06/26/one-day-left-to-vote-in-the-gmmr-tv-awards/

Arrow is nominated in two categories:  favorite actress (EBR) http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/06/16/gmmr-tv-awards-favorite-actress-drama-vote-now-3/ and favorite couple not together http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/06/19/gmmr-tv-awards-favorite-couple-not-together-vote-now-3/

Edited by statsgirl

Stephen is nominated for a Young Hollywood Award:

Super Superhero:

Stephen Amell (Arrow)
Chris Evans (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)
Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Kellan Lutz (The Legend of Hercules)
Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Source

Yay for Caity Lotz! But where was Willa Holland, and why on Earth was the actress who portrays Amanda Waller even in the running?

I have nothing against Waller, but I'd have expected Lyla in her stead...and really, no W.Holland boggles the mind.

No love for Arrow today, not even for the stunts.  Looking at the the stunt nominees right now and really?  I can't even remember any impressive stunts on The Blacklist, and Revolution and True Blood are only rememerable over how cheesy they are.  Seriously, Arrow should have been there.

• Love 1

Yeah and the girl from Orphan Black got snubbed again...ridiculous.  I thought for sure, Arrow would get Stunts for all the issues I have with the show their stunt/action/fight scenes are deserving of recognition. 

• Love 2

12 biggest snubs including Arrows James Bamford 

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/feature/a583370/emmys-2014-the-12-biggest-snubs-from-hannibal-to-orphan-black.html#~oJD6tlrnX2bscl

Also mentioned by Alan Sepinwall 

* Even so minor a category as stunt coordination somehow managed to omit the two dramas that are by far the best at it in "Strike Back" and "Arrow."

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/emmys-2014-too-many-great-shows-not-enough-spots-and-some-dumb-choices

• Love 1

Wow, that really sucks.  The Emmy nomination committee and voters were always the biggest stuffed shirts but it's ridiculous to not even give Arrow a nomination for stunts.

I'm glad EBR got a nod from Blastr.com but I think SA deserves one too.  The nuances he puts into the acting too often get overlooked because of his action scenes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Seriously, Strike Back didn't get a stunt nomination? Like I almost expected Arrow not to because CW reasons, but Strike Back? Really? Well that's it.  I'm done with the Emmys. It's taken this to get me to no longer care and to believe they are the stupidest awards ever.

Seriously? Not Strike Back for the awesome car thing where he climbs out of one moving car into another at regular speed? WTF is wrong with these people. Jeez.

TRUE BLOOD? FOR WHAT? I watch that show there is no way any of those stunts surpassed Arrow for a nod at all?

The stupid. It burns.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

I think Arrow's stunt team is far more respected by their peers, fans and media critics than the Emmy voters.  I have no idea who the Emmy voters even are but to snub Arrow's stunts and Tatiana Maslany is mindboggingly insane.

SA and James Bamford addressed the disappointment with expected grace and class today. 

Seriously, screw the Emmys.

• Love 6

I've had my problems with multiple facets of the show, but the stunts are so amazing that they're like a salve on my frustration-inflamed brain. I mean, the stunt where Nyssa dropped down onto the street from her ribbon was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on tv. Oliver's pipe fight with Slade in the Arrowcave? I have to catch my breath just thinking about it. This stuff is feature film quality.

Sell the house and liquidate the furniture, it's time to put the Emmys in a home.

• Love 1

The fight Oliver had with Deathstroke and that entire sequence is one of my favourite and most memorable fighting g scenes and scenes overall. I loved it. Slade kicked behind.

If the Emmy's are being biased then it can be ignored.

Back In The Day, Fox got kicked around and ignored. After Fox got good, it was UPN (because "Homeboys In Outer Space!"  It wasn't on 24/7, people.) Now it's The CW's turn to get a boot to the head. Yet, there is no real reason anymore. Well, not so blindly anyway. The snub of BamBam and his crew of badasses is just willful snottery, in my opinion.  

• Love 1
(edited)

The Emmys are infamous for nominating the same old shows and stars year after year.  Once in a while, they get overpraised for letting in an edgy new show and then that show gets nominated year after year.  Let's face it, a lot of these Hollywood awards shows are political too - who you know, who you are.  The Emmy voters also have their favorites.  If Orphan Black starred Juliana Margulies (instead of unknown Tatiana Maslany), Juliana would've been nominated the first year.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

@tv echo, I agree completely.  Between being more friendly with certain networks (certainly the main ones: ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox & now HBO), I think some actors/actresses land on the final ballot because of familiarity.  Of course, PBS is in that group now, too.  I think Dame Maggie Smith's name, bless her, is in permanent ink on the ballot.

AMC has made inroads.  I can see FX in that position in a few years.

I think the likes of the CW, USA, TNT, TBS, BBC America, ABC Family, and MTV are still a loooooooooooooooooong way from being recognized by the Emmy voters.  I don't understand why.

I also think the Emmys needs to consider expanding their categories for best acting and shows to include sci-fi.

Edited by writersblock51

There was an Outstanding Art Direction for a Contemporary and/or Fantasy Show, Single Camera- no lie!  It seems that there is a division along Contemporary/Period as well as Single Camera/Half-hour Comedy as two other Art Direction awards are for Outstanding Art Direction For A Period Series, Miniseries Or A Movie (Single-Camera) and Outstanding Art Direction For A Contemporary Program (Half-Hour Or Less). 

I believe our show puts out movie-quality installations on a weekly basis, in spite of it's tv budget on a channel no one takes seriously after almost 8 years. The shows that made the cut?  http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/66th-nominations-list.pdf (Page 19)

*Game of Thrones ( I totally get that nod. I don't have cable anymore but it was so visually lush when I did watch, I get it.) 2 episodes named in the nomination.

*House of Cards, 2 episodes named

*Justified, 3 episodes named

*True Blood, 3 episodes named

*True Detective, 3 episodes 

I disbelieve that Arrow's Art Direction is so lacking that we can't get a couple of episodes together to wow voters. "The Promise" ? "Broken Dolls?" Any from the run of final four episodes? Art Direction is at it's best when it's not showy and in your face, but kind of like a tap on the shoulder. The nominees are good to great shows ( I enjoy Justified off and on and have enjoyed GoT and True Blood too), but this show, actually a comtemporary  fantasy, should have gotten a spot. But that is obviously just my opinion, not these learned voters.  

Pff, the Emmies have ignored numerous great shows just because they had a demographic different from the voters (whom I gather probably are mostly old conservative males, at least judging by their preferences). Buffy didn't get much nods, most younger-leaning shows didn't get them, too. Sometimes, when shows outside the usual line get very popular (Lost, Game of Thrones) they too get nods, but it's pretty rare, and a show has to be a cultural phenomenon. OB and Arrow aren't.

• Love 1
(edited)

The CW's better shows suffer at awards time because of voters generally ignore the network.  I discovered this long ago with "Veronica Mars" - Kristin Bell easily should have been nominated for lead actress.  But nope.  I can't say I'm surprised that Arrow was ignored but I had hoped that, many years after VM was done AND with the big uptick in popularity for all things with the superhero-genre, Arrow would get SOMETHING. 

Netflix's "Orange is the New Black" and "House of Cards" seems to defy all my reasons regarding networks, though.  Hmmmm..... that leaves the Sci-Fi Factor.

Edited by writersblock51

Wouldn't it be funny if the Emmy voters were actually humungous Arrow fans but they're still super pissed with the second half of season two. "I say, old chums, those Arrow chaps deserve quite the pat on the back for their stuntwork, what. Jolly good show, alas, pity about the writing. Perhaps we should suggest coherent character development for their consideration. Oh snapith!" And then they all ride away on motorbikes with sidecars.

• Love 2

OK, my husband's theory (because, yes, this was a family discussion tonight at dinner) is that if shows are the ones that submit the material to be voted on, perhaps some shows (on cash strapped networks) don't try very hard for a winner.  Following that stream of thought... if, say, an actor or a stunt coordinator won an Emmy for their work, wouldn't they want more money once it came time to sign a new contract?

I'm not saying I think this theory is what's happening but I also thought it was an 'out there' type of logic that could very possibly apply to a greedy or frugal network exec.

• Love 1

I kind of wonder it the problem might be that anyone and everyone can send in an Emmy nomination even if they should never, ever, ever do so.   For every hidden gem that gets overlooked on the CW there are probably that many more that deserve to be buried in a deep, deep hole.  How long does it take before someone sees the CW logo and just tosses the submission in hell no pile?

• Love 1
(edited)

i think the problem with getting Emmy nominations is not that there are too many submissions but that the committee are snobs.  In every category, 4 or 5 are from prestige networks like HBO or AMC and only one is from a regular one, usually The Good Wife in the drama categories.  Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black... all of these shows have snob appeal or else an actor who is an Emmy darling.  When Hugh Laurie was doing amazing work making the unpleasant Dr. House a character the audience rooted for (and singlehandedly creating the fashion for the three-day-old beard), he didn't win a single Emmy, it was James Spader three years in a row.  If House were on now, it would be Jon Hamm or Bryan Cranston repeatedly winning.

That's another problem with the Emmys, that the same people and shows win year after year. There are a lot of good performances on TV but it's always the same people nominated and winning.  Candice Bergen had the grace to take herself out of the nominations after 7 nominations (5 wins) for Murphy Brown but she's the only one.  

Arrow should have been nominated for best stunt coordination, and maybe got a couple of Best Supporting or Directing nominations too.  There are times when SA does some acting that I think could have been up there too, and as much as I like Christine Baranski, I think Susanna Thompson could have had a shot at Best Supporting.  The real snub though is Tatiana Maslany not getting a nomination while Michelle Dockery gets one for a role she can basically sleepwalk through.  I'm glad Julianne Margulies won an Emmy for The Good Wife and Clare Danes for Homeland but now it's time for other people who do just as good work to have a shot.  Either they should increase the number of nominations or they should limit how many times the same actor for the same role gets to be on the ballot.

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)

The real snub though is Tatiana Maslany not getting a nomination while Michelle Dockery gets one for a role she can basically sleepwalk through.

There's no denying the absurdity of Tatiana getting overlooked but I actually do feel bad for Michelle Dockery and the rest of the cast of Downton Abbey.   Yes it gets nominated but no one ever wins.  PBS is rarely allowed to win.  I see it over and over, they occasionally can pull in an award for some miniseries or documentary but not for any other form of entertainment.  That Sherlock never got recognized is ridiculous and for all that the award shows love to nominate Maggie Smith, she's not allowed to actually win anything. 

the committee are snobs.  In every category, 4 or 5 are from prestige networks like HBO or AMC and only one is from a regular one, usually The Good Wife in the drama categories.

I agree. I honestly don't think the shows that get picked over and over are usually the cream of the crop.  I remember the years Sex and the City won ever year. I've since watched the show and it was not the runaway masterpiece it was pretended to be. 

I watched the Good Wife.  Its a fine procedural but it's been on 4 or five seasons and I was able to start watching it a year ago and then start from the beginning and find out I really didn't miss much so it's not that great of a show nor is the acting or writing much than Suits over on USA. 

Battlestar Gallactica was every bit as good if not better than The Sopranos or The Sheild or The Wire.  Over and over I wonder why some networks and shows get favored and it's not just based on quality.  I have to wonder if it comes from the experience of working for an HBO or a TNT vs a regular network.  Honestly, the shows from regular networks which are not known for supporting the artist should get extra credit for making something extraordinary when they have to deal with the pressure of the networks.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)

They usually put them up every Saturday but they've fallen behind because of TCAs and SDCC.

If it isn't Laurel in a landslide, I'll eat my hat

She was a close 2nd last year but Helena won the award for Least Favorite Character

Edited by Morrigan2575

Emily Bett Rickards did not win in her category at the Teen Choice Awards. She lost to an actress from Pretty Little Liars (a show with some intense fans), as that show won in all of the categories it was nominated in. But per the usual in these 'vote for the winner' award shows, those in charge get to pick the winner out of the top four vote getters (out of 5) if they want to. 

Teen-Choice-Rigged.jpg