Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

(edited)

To summarize the two major voting contests ongoing now...

Teen Choice Awards 2015 - Wave 1 Nominees (show airs Aug. 16):

how to vote and voting rules

vote online here

(can vote once per day, voting through Friday, June 26, at 12:00 PM PT)

• Arrow nom. for Choice TV Show: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television
  • SA nom. for Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television
  • EBR nom. for Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television

Eonline Best Ever TV Awards 2015 - Best Actor and Actress in a Drama:

vote online here

(can vote multiple times, voting for all categories ends on Thursday, June 25, at 5 p.m. PT.)

• SA nom. for Best Drama Actor
  • EBR nom. for Best Drama Actress

New!  Eonline Best Ever TV Awards 2015 - Best Couple:

vote online here

(can vote multiple times, voting for all categories ends on Thursday, June 25, at 5 p.m. PT.)

• Oliver and Felicity, Arrow, nom. for Best Couple
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Willa has made this year's Maxim Hot 100 list at #57. She was the only Arrow actress that made the cut. Candice Patton made it too at #61. The full list can be found here.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1
(edited)

You may remember that EBR was nominated for two Leo Awards 2015...

She was nominated for Best Guest Performance by a Female in Dramatic Series (for The Flash - Going Rogue).  Unfortunately, she did not win that award (won by Briana Buckmaster, Supernatural -  Hibbing 911):

2015 Winners by Name, Saturday June 13
http://www.leoawards.com/2015/winners/june_13.php

She was also nominated for Best Lead Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series (for Arrow - Left Behind).  The winner of that award will be announced at the Gala Awards today (June 14):

Gala Awards, Sunday, June 14, Hotel Vancouver

http://www.leoawards.com/2015/awards_by_evening/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR did not win Best Lead Performance by a Female, Dramatic Series (for Arrow-Left Behind).  The winner was Sara Canning (Remedy-Scary Bears).  Still, just getting nominated is pretty significant, considering all the great acting talent out there...

Winners List - Leo Awards 2015
http://www.leoawards.com/2015/winners/by_name.php

-- Arrow did not win any Leo Awards (though it was nominated for Best Cinematography, Dramatic Series, for "Blind Spot", and for Best Costume Design, Dramatic Series, for "Suicide Squad")
-- Flash won Best Visual Effects, Dramatic Series (for The Flash-Going Rogue) (also nominated in several other categories)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

New Best Ever poll categories!  Oliver and Felicity's premiere kiss nominated for Best Kiss, and TA vs LOA nominated for Best Fight - you can vote as often as you like (voting in all categories ends Thursday, June 25th at 5 p.m. PT)...

Best. Ever. TV. Awards 2015: Vote for the Best Kiss of the Year Now!
by TIERNEY BRICKER Mon., Jun. 15, 2015 12:00 PM PDT
http://www.eonline.com/news/666712/best-ever-tv-awards-2015-vote-for-the-best-kiss-of-the-year-now

Previously posted Best Ever poll categories...

Oliver and Felicity nominated for Best Couple
http://www.eonline.com/news/666072/best-ever-tv-awards-2015-vote-for-the-best-couple-now

SA and EBR nominated for Best Actor and Actress in a Drama
http://www.eonline.com/news/665203/best-ever-tv-awards-2015-officially-begin-vote-for-the-best-actor-and-actress-in-a-drama-now

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I voted with my heart. Donna Smoak for the win!  Almost went with Lyla. 

Actually that was such a hard choice.   How can you really compare guest starts that were there almost all season long like Maseo, Katsu, Ray, Nyssa, or Rah's with guests that were there just for a couple episodes or less like Brick, Sara, Donna, Deadshot, or Slade?  Also, why weren't Cysco or Caitlin on that list? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I was torn between Lyla and Nyssa and Tatsu and then also Donna, Sara, Cupid and Slade. There really should be two catagoties. 1 a more season recurrent and the other more guest.

I picked Nyssa because of eenie meenie miney moe..

• Love 1

So I'm not 100% certain about this but EBR/DP/CL are on the ballot for Emmy noms! I think this is the second year in a row for EBR. I know her getting a nom is a long, long, long shot but still, it's still nice to get noticed :)

Also CL has been put in the ballots for her role on Mad Men not Arrow (obviously).

It's the submission ballet not actual nominations. Stephen, Grant and KC are also on the submissions.  Emily is submitted for supporting actress and Katie is for lead actress (which I'm sorry BUT WTF)

You can download the ballots from the Emmy website. I double checked and  both EBR and KC are in supporting roles so apologies for that . I still don't see how the hell is KC even on the ballot.  I'm sorry but she's just not worthy of that IMO

You can download the ballots from the Emmy website. I double checked and  both EBR and KC are in supporting roles so apologies for that . I still don't see how the hell is KC even on the ballot.  I'm sorry but she's just not worthy of that IMO

What episodes are they submitted for?

(edited)

No episodes were specified on the ballots.   Guest Actor submissions are for specific episodes but supporting and lead are just for the series in general from what I can tell. 

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

Yeah, looking at the ballot right now. Stephen and Grant are the only ones submitted for lead. Everyone else from Arrow/Flash are in supporting [KC, EBR, DP, JLM, TC].

Edited by dancingnancy
(edited)

Honestly, the Emmy Submissions are a free for all. The way I understand it the show or the agents can submit a name for the list, so anyone can be on it as long as they meet the requirements (which I'm assuming by that list its any series regular for the 2014-2015 season).

Patricia Arquette for CSI? Really? LOL...

I do find it interesting that KC was put for Supporting. 

ETA: But if only GG and SA were Lead, I guess that makes sense..

Edited by 10Eleven12

The list is pretty hilarious. Some shows with negative billion chance to get a nom submit their entire lead, recurring AND guest cast. That shows you who has a nice budget and who doesn't because each submission requires paying a fee.

(edited)

I fully expected to see Stephen and Grant's names but I also thought Paul Blackthorne would be on there too because he's just the bees knees.  Maybe the CW is putting the backing behind the DC properties and Jane the Virgin since Jensen and Jared aren't on their either.  Who knows. 

Edited by catrox14

Great for them for choosing to submit the actors & shows. I love Arrow, but I can't see it earning an actual spot on the ballot for acting or the show; perhaps stunts or effects. Honestly, the only CW shows that I have seen get some critical traction to make it to the ballot as shows are the Flash & Jane the Virgin and Gina Rodriguez for JtV. I think the Flash is too weak as both a drama & comedy to earn a spot on the ballot alongside some of the other heavy hitters, it seems to garner new show recognition not best in shows. I don't watch Jane the Virgin, so can't comment on it, although it doesn't seem as strong. Also the Emmys tend to not really change the main comedies that get nominated year after year. Gina Rodriguez might actually have a shot though, especially with her Golden Globe win.

(edited)

Do the shows/networks submit the actors or do the actors submit themselves?

It depends on the network/studio, but most of the time the actors (or their agents) have to submit themselves. Most Arrow actors are not on the ballot, by the way. Paul Blackthorne, John Barrowman, Colton Haynes, David Ramsey and Willa Holland are all missing from the list. That makes it fairly obvious that the Arrow entries are self-submitted.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1
(edited)

I still don't see how the hell is KC even on the ballot.  I'm sorry but she's just not worthy of that IMO

Neither are Stephen Amell or EBR for that matter.  Amell's wooden version of emoting nearly put me off from watching this show. He improved slightly in season two and then went back to bad in season 3.  The only people who have some decent acting chops on this show are the guy who played Tommy in season one, John Barrowman and David Ramsay. Grant Gustin also does a pretty good job on Flash.

Great for them for choosing to submit the actors & shows. I love Arrow, but I can't see it earning an actual spot on the ballot for acting or the show; perhaps stunts or effects.

I don't think they are going to get a ballot for anything. Effects? With million dollar shows like GOT in the running? Stunts? Hello, Daredevil! That show blows Arrow's lame ass season three fights out of the water. Then we have Banshee, Sense8, GOT etc.

At the most Arrow can win or get nominated for some Teen choice awards where determined fangirls keep clicking away at their computer to vote for their favorites and that's about it

Edited by anamika
(edited)

At the most Arrow can win or get nominated for some Teen choice awards where determined fangirls keep clicking away at their computer to vote for their favorites and that's about it

And don't you think it's a wonderful thing that some people take their time to advocate and stan for what they love? 

Isn't amazing that all of those "fangirls" care so much about the show,the actors and characters that they take the time to get them nominated in everything they can?

I would say it is, because in the end the truth is that it creates buzz for the show and buzz creates interest and interest brings money, and that's what the CW cares about, because bottom line this is all business.

So yeah, i would say it's all kinds of awesome that people take the time to show their support for Arrow, instead of posting nothing but hate on FB and other places, for the network and the eps hate will get them nothing, and believe me they know who cares and who doesn't.

Have a nice day 

Edited by Balaclava
  • Love 17

Strange that Candice Patton isn't there..either the network didn't choose her (which is disgusting), or she's smart enough to know there's no chance in hell.

While the latter wouldn't surprise me, the former is also likely...I don't think (most of) the actors would submit themselves without urging...they know it's a genre show on the CW and especially for Arrow won't get anything. (I say especially, because it's been 3 years..rare for a show to get nominated after that long)

Not snarking at all, because I honestly don't have a full grasp of this process, but isn't this all just an exercise in exposure since Arrow/Flash don't have a shot in hell for acting? Surely the actors know that, so if the network didn't put them on the ballot, then they're just doing a little self-promoting. Nothing wrong with that!

• Love 4

I should feel offended by this because it's clear the term 'fangirl' was meant to be used derogatorily here, but I can't help but feel  proud of the fangirls/fanboys who do everything they can to promote the things they love. These are the type of things networks look at, so while some people can sit in a corner being bitter about the state of the show/fangirls who vote for their favorites, others are taking an active role and spreading the word for their own best interest.

The Olicity 'fangirls' have been running things like a business most of the summer. They got the attention of Suzanne Gomez to get more PR for their favorites, they're actively trying to get funkopop to get Felicity a doll, they're voting on polls to get their favorites some traction from media sites like E!, they're going to cons and cheering for their favorites. I think that's how fans should be. Promote what you love. 

And I think you forget that it's probably every superhero show including Daredevil that can win a Teen Choice at most. It's not just Arrow, and the same thing goes for the movies as well. That's not a dig at the superhero genre, it's just that the emmys/critics choice/golden globes aren't into that. 

• Love 19

My info is out of date by some years, but until 2009, Warner Bros picked and choosed everything they wanted to submit to the Emmys from their properties. And then for individual submissions [actors, directors, writers, etc], the studio contacted them and the individuals, or their management, submitted themselves, with WB picking up the bill.

I don't see reason for their politics to have changed, but I don't have the latest info. And other studios might do it differently.

• Love 3

Which I don't quite get...since I don't think they really get any exposure from it..at least not significantly. 

They're getting their names and shows out in front of industry people? That's the only thing I can think of. Seems like a wasted exercise if it isn't about exposure. 

The Olicity 'fangirls' have been running things like a business most of the summer. They got the attention of Suzanne Gomez to get more PR for their favorites, they're actively trying to get funkopop to get Felicity a doll, they're voting on polls to get their favorites some traction from media sites like E!, they're going to cons and cheering for their favorites. I think that's how fans should be. Promote what you love.

Problem, to me, is that they take it so seriously. The voting, and when they go to a convention they may ask the same questions over and over. Like 90% of the questions Stephen may get are Felicity related..there's more to the character than that.

The Funko thing...the impatience was strong. They always release/announce figures after some time. Like in the Buffy-verse...I believe they released the figures time a part from each other. 

Also in panels..not so much for Arrow but a certain other show the fans for a character just spend the entire screaming leaving little time for actual questions (not helped by the worst moderator ever) 

They're getting their names and shows out in front of industry people? That's the only thing I can think of. Seems like a wasted exercise if it isn't about exposure. 

I don't get it either...numerous other shows with no chance in hell have submitted and it doesn't do anything for them. 

(edited)

Problem, to me, is that they take it so seriously. The voting, and when they go to a convention they may ask the same questions over and over. Like 90% of the questions Stephen may get are Felicity related..there's more to the character than that.

The Funko thing...the impatience was strong. They always release/announce figures after some time. Like in the Buffy-verse...I believe they released the figures time a part from each other. 

Also in panels..not so much for Arrow but a certain other show the fans for a character just spend the entire screaming leaving little time for actual questions (not helped by the worst moderator ever) 

I guess whenever I hear people complaining about 'fangirls' all I can think is, so what? Let them ask their questions, it's their right. It's what they want to hear (and let's be fair, sometimes the people who ask aren't the ones online who track what is said at every con so they might not have known the answer to said Olicity question beforehand). They should do what they want and ask what they want. And people who complain or take problem with it should stop complaining and start acting. If you want answers to other questions, go to a con (if that's feasible), or ask the people whose job it is to get spoilers (EW, E!, TVline, ETOnline, etc.), tweet/send an ask to MG or other EPs/writers...I mean I got my questions answered by MG a few times on tumblr, so it's not really that difficult?

I just think it's just wrong (and shows a sense of entitlement) to ask the shippers to stop being passionate about their ship and want them to focus on something else when they don't really owe you (I'm not saying you specifically, but people who take problem with shippers looking out for their own best interest) or anyone else anything.

In the end, you work for what you want and let others do the same. It's just the nature of the fandom. It's just like real life. If you want something, then do it yourself. 

Also, I think with the Funko, it's weird because there are already 3 versions of Oliver out but no Felicity Smoak. It's almost as though they weren't planning on making one because she doesn't have a mask or an outfit. It makes sense why people would be wary because look at their current line up. Every single Pop is of a character wearing a mask/outfit.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 21

All anyone is doing here is just announcing eligibility for an Emmy award, not actually expecting an award. It's pretty standard practice throughout Hollywood. I tend to agree with Wingster55 that this doesn't really do anything for anyone, but I've heard agents argue that yes, yes, yes, talent absolutely has to do this. It's also possible that Gina Rodriguez's Golden Globe win has raised CW network hopes, and that as a result, CW talent have more or less been ordered to submit to the Emmys.  And no, that would not be unheard of, looking right at you, major entertainment company with the initial V.  So yes, it's possible that these nominations are just getting submitted to make the network happy, not because anyone involved thinks nominations, let alone winning, are a real possibility.

I don't think they are going to get a ballot for anything. Effects? With million dollar shows like GOT in the running? Stunts? Hello, Daredevil! That show blows Arrow's lame ass season three fights out of the water. Then we have Banshee, Sense8, GOT etc.

Well, first, I'm not sure the Emmys necessarily reward the objectively "best" of the year in any category. That's not a knock on the Emmys - I'm not sure that any award does.  Quite apart from the problem of determining what is objectively "best" to begin with. 

Second, I strongly disagree regarding Daredevil. It might well get on the ballot, since Emmy voters have liked Netflix shows so far and Daredevil got a lot of positive critical recognition. But it had basically one, admittedly great, stunt sequence this season. All of the other stunts (and even that one) were shot in low light for a reason.  Arrow had at least 12 Emmy worthy stunt sequences this season - notably the Hong Kong bar sequence in episode 11; the major city/chase sequences in episode 18; the truck stunt in episode 20; the group stunt sequence/major Tatsu/Maseo sword fight in episode 22; and yes, even the sillier stunt sequences like the motorcycle jousting in episode 2 and the car crash in episode 6.  Plus, Arrow has a lower per-episode budget, making that more impressive.

Third, regarding the other shows mentioned: Banshee doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. I believe that Sense8 is eligible next year, not this year.  GoT will probably get a nomination, though you are overestimating that show's budget.  It's not out of the question for Arrow to get an Emmy nod for stunts this year, or even, though in my opinion it's unlikely, for effects. True, some of the animation for the Atom suit was downright sloppy, but some of the effects work in episodes 6, 8, 9 and 22 was beautifully done - especially Barry's entrance in episode 8.

Regarding the Teen Choice Awards - sure, the Teen Choice Awards aren't particularly prestigious in part because of the internet voting factor. That said, viewers willing to spend time clicking away at the Teen Choice Awards are presumably invested enough in the show to buy DVDs/Blu-Rays/merchandise, which from the network/WB point of view is important. 

• Love 12

I guess whenever I hear people complaining about 'fangirls' all I can think about is, so what? Let them ask their questions, it's their right. It's what they want to hear (and let's be fair, sometimes the people who ask aren't the ones online who track what is said at every con so they might not have known the answer to said Olicity question beforehand). They should do what they want and ask what they want. And people who complain or take problem with it should stop complaining and start acting. If you want answers to other questions, go to a con (if that's feasible), or ask the people whose job it is to get spoilers (EW, E!, TVline, ETOnline, etc.), tweet/send an ask to MG or other EPs/writers...I mean I got my questions answered by MG a few times on tumblr, so it's not really that difficult?

I just think it's just wrong to ask the shippers to stop being passionate about their ship and want them to focus on something else when they don't really owe you (I'm not saying you specifically, but people who take problem with shippers looking out for their own best interest) or anyone else anything. 

I think with the Funko, it's weird because there are already 3 versions of Oliver out but no Felicity Smoak. It's almost as though they weren't planning on making one because she doesn't have a mask or an outfit. It makes sense why people would be wary because look at their current line up. Every single Pop is of a character wearing a mask/outfit.

You mean in the Arrowverse? Or Superheroes in general? If you mean of ALL pop figures, then it's not accurate. 

As for panels, it's not always feasible. There's only one "near" me that I haven't gone to because of circumstances. Online questions..I've asked often..but they never get answered (possibly because red carpet reporters only get 2-3)

(edited)

The Funko stuff irritates me (as a casual collector) because what they release is seemingly so random. No Black Widow when they released the Age of Ultron characters? Diggle's getting a release but only in the Arrow outfit which he wore once or twice? So, yeah, I'm going to loudly bitch until I get my Felicity figure.

I think the Emmy submissions are about exposure. The actors might not have a chance in hell of getting nommed, but if someone in the industry reads that pre-nom list and remembers a name later on, it can help an actor. Plus, if the old, white men ever die off, there's always a wild card chance of some of these genre shows getting recognized. I mean, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association consists of about 90 people who decide all the Golden Globes. Everyone knows their decisions are based on such a small community and are often suspect, but it only helped Jane The Virgin and Gina Rodriguez gain traction and recognition. Not that all of it isn't ridiculous - it is to a large extent, but I don't fault those who are either working or trying to take advantage of the system that's in place.

ETA: Or what quarks said. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 6

Watch any video of any cons SA's been at, and you'll know this isn't true. At most he'll get two questions about Felicity in a whole Q&A session, which, considering how she's become Oliver's actual love interest this season, is not unreasonable at all. 

As for the voting thing, I'm with wonderwall on this. Why should people not be enthusiastic about what they like? Why is it bad for "fangirls" to vote in polls and participate in twitter campaigns to get the show and characters positive buzz and attention? I think it's unfair that the fans who spend their own free time giving the show free promotion (because the CW sure doesn't give "Arrow" the time of day anymore) get ridiculed while apparently the "real fans" spend their time posting vitriol and complaining about how the show is "ruined" in every comments section of every article written about "Arrow". 

• Love 19

You mean in the Arrowverse? Or Superheroes in general? If you mean of ALL pop figures, then it's not accurate. 

As for panels, it's not always feasible. There's only one "near" me that I haven't gone to because of circumstances. Online questions..I've asked often..but they never get answered (possibly because red carpet reporters only get 2-3)

Oh no I only meant the arrowverse :)  -- I'm seriously eyeing that Peggy Carter Pop though. 

And I did say add the whole if it's feasible disclaimer in there ;) And sometimes it takes a group of people to rally in order to get their questions answered. I tend to ask MG about 10-15 times before he actually sees my asks. I just copy and paste until he notices lmao