Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

Because Oncers are a huge fandom, myself included. A few months ago during the couple poll they completely dominated us for their Captain Swan ship. And I think it's also because the once fandom gets very, very aggressive when they feel their being ignored and overlooked. The teen choice awards doesn't really deserve, need or want all the crap that the fandom can deliver.

I don't see how they can claim to be ignored and overlooked in this case if they don't have the tweets to show for it. My point was that the TCA passed over two people that got into the top 5 in number of tweets to pick two people seemingly at random (JPad is 8th and I don't even see Morrison ranked anywhere), when nominations were supposed to be based on tweet-to-vote.

(edited)

I can understand the logic behind not wanting any one show to dominate (VD had three actresses in the top six). But I'm really not understanding the logic for picking Danielle Panabaker over Candice Patton. (And I like Danielle.)

Edited by Starfish35

I'm okay with DP getting that nom over CP only if CP gets nominated elsewhere because IMO even if I stopped watching Flash and really don't like it anymore, CP deserves the nom more (and I even like Caitlin Snow just a tad more than Iris -- Although I really started to respect Iris a lot more by the end)

I know that people were trying to get in the Top 5 to get a nomination, but ranking wasn't going to secure a spot. I am honestly surprised at the omission of GG and CP. Esp GG since he easily has the biggest buzz from The Flash during a successful first season. I know that the response to CP is more divided but I thought there was enough there to get her the nod. I don't watch the Flash regularly, but I really don't understand DP being nominated. If they really wanted to give her a nod they could have put her for SceneStealer and CP for Actress.

I think the Supernatural actors are interachangable at this point. Supernatural was going to get a nod and they just choose Jared this year.

Over TVD.

Curious to see Chemistry at this point. I wonder if they will give TVD two slots as well (Delena and Steroline). Curious to see if they will bump one of the other top tweets for Captian Swan or Barry/Iris.

Does not compute ;)

But really..they ask us to vote...then ignore the results. That makes sense. 

Lmao Sorry, Iris was just..... She got bogged down by Barry this season. I want her to have her own arc next season. Hopefully one that doesn't include drugs and alcohol. 

The whole voting thing has always been an issue. But sometimes it makes sense. TVD has rabid fans, if they didn't ignore some results, more than half of the noms would probably be from TVD which really isn't entertaining or fun and alienating. 

But..Caitlin had as much of an arc as Iris if not less so

The ones from TVD in the male category that made the top 6 were in the nominees...while one from the spinoff who wasn't in the top didn't make it.

While Grant was #2 behind Stephen and didn't get it. 

The ones from TVD in the male category that made the top 6 were in the nominees...while one from the spinoff who wasn't in the top didn't make it.

While Grant was #2 behind Stephen and didn't get it. 

Ah but Caitlin wasn't bogged down by Barry. She was an integral member of the team and was in on Barry's secret from the start. Iris had suffered a lot of issues Laurel had, but Iris fared better because CP elevated the material she was given and because AK learned from Arrow. Even though I'm not going to watch Flash next season, I hope the writers do the character justice. 

*sigh* TVD is just a terrible show. IMO none of the male actors on that show deserved the nom. But their fans are the most passionate. I sort of wished they kept out at least 1 of them. 

I want to see if GG will get a nom in another category. breakout star. If he does then I'll get why they omitted him from this category

• Love 1

I'm not a Flash fan, but I don't even understand the logic in their decision to pick Padelecki and Morrison over Gustin and Patton. Flash is a new show with lots of buzz and praise, targeted towards the younger crowd. Why only have a supporting character represent them while trying to promote two shows that are past their prime?

As much as love Jared, I don't understand the choice of him over Jensen when Jensen doubled his votes and IMO is the superior actor. I would have picked Gustin over one of the TVD guys. And no Fox, as much as I loved Sleepy Hollow it sucked this season and without network interference it was doomed. I would have picked Supernatural over Sleepy Hollow but you know.. Fox.

Congrats to Stephen and Emily because those are well deserved despite this being the show's worst season.

There's a momentum that gets built in in awards circles so hopefully now that Arrow is on the books for TCAs, it will get noticed for other awards too.  Leaving it off the Best Stuntwork list in the Emmys was ridiculous.

But a lot of the time, the writing had Iris behaving unprofessionally (going to fish out the secrets her friends have been keeping without being honest about it) and unpleasantly (that whole rejection of Eddie because he was keeping Barry's secret).  It left some audience members disliking Iris whereas Caitlin didn't get a storyline that made people dislike her.

Candice Patton help Iris rise above the material but sometimes it wasn't enough.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, she would have been fine if they had just let her in it from the start. Although I think saddling her with a completely pointless love interest all season also did her no favors and dragged her away from the main story.

The only thing they get out of keeping someone in the dark is maybe a couple episodes of flirting between the masked hero and that person in a Superman/Lois Lane type of way- I did kind of like those parts of the Flash episodes in the beginning of the season, that was kind of fun. But it doesn't need to go on forever, just a few episodes of that is plenty. After that just let the person in on it so they can be of use.

Edited by ruby24

I am excited & proud for SA & EBR, their acting was high points in an otherwise not so good season. :)

Kudos to motivated fandoms for getting their favs on the ballot. What bothers me the most about the TCAs is it is supposed to be voted on by teens. And I know a lot of people voting would not fall into those age categories. For some reason, I feel like maintaining the integrity of the voting system and will sadly be sitting this TCA out as I have not been a teenager for sometime as my pre-teen niece likes to remind me.

I wouldn't feel too bad for the Flash it did get another type TCA nomination for outstanding new series. Except this TCA stands for Television Critics Association and I think it holds more weight with the networks than the Teen Choice Awards. The Television Critics Assoc nominations actually had some new names & programs on it, so that was nice to see rather than the same names every year. I especially enjoyed nominations for The Americans as I think that is overlooked show when it comes to awards.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not a Flash fan, but I don't even understand the logic in their decision to pick Padelecki and Morrison over Gustin and Patton. Flash is a new show with lots of buzz and praise, targeted towards the younger crowd. Why only have a supporting character represent them while trying to promote two shows that are past their prime?

I have a feeling that Danielle Panabaker came to the show with her own preexisting  fanbase.  I have tons of left over good will for her from her role on Sky High and I thought she did well with most of what she was given to do on Flash, especially in the beginning of the series.  Her and Barry's Kareoke night out remains a highlight of the season for me.  Beyond her having been in Sky High (I don't know why I like that move so much but I figure that means that lots of others inexplicably do too)  she was around the teen scene on I think Disney for a long time so since the voters really don't seem to be limited to teens, I could see why she out of newer names got the attention. 

Really the bigger shame is if no one singles out Dr. Wells for best villain. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I think Candice Patton did a good job with the material for Iris but having seen Jennifer Morrison through two TV series and three movies, I really think she is the better actor.

And the OUaT audience is much bigger than the Flash's.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if The Flash was left off because they didn't want it to be CW heavy (they already have TVD, Arrow and The 100). The Flash is getting a lot of critic praise and the ratings are the best of the three but it doesn't have the fandom of the others … yet. 

All this nomination craze made my realize that if not for the Olicity fandom, Arrow would be a small blip on the radar.

• Love 5
(edited)
Ah but Caitlin wasn't bogged down by Barry. She was an integral member of the team and was in on Barry's secret from the start.

Way off topic...but wouldn't that mean she IS bogged down by him? Because that was the extent of her screen time for the most part. Iris had her own story, her own character development etc. 

I think Candice Patton did a good job with the material for Iris but having seen Jennifer Morrison through two TV series and three movies, I really think she is the better actor.

And the OUaT audience is much bigger than the Flash's.

Acting is obviously subjective...plus it's irrelevant..I mean if acting actually mattered Ian Somerhalder would never get nominated for anything (I think Paul Wesley is great though)..and maybe OUAT has better ratings (ok, not maybe) but Candice got more votes as shown above...so the online fandom is either greater or more rabid...or both. 

Edited by wingster55

Way off topic...but wouldn't that mean she IS bogged down by him? Because that was the extent of her screen time for the most part. Iris had her own story, her own character development etc. 

Iris had her own story, but IMO it wasn't very compelling, but mostly she was written as a romantic interest and not much else which is why she probably got more interesting to me after she found out about Barry's secret and started being useful. Whereas Caitlin, she wasn't bogged down by Barry because they worked together as a team and there wasn't a lot of conflict between them this season. I liked Caitlin more because she didn't do anything that upset me or annoyed me unlike Iris. And usually when Iris annoyed me, 90% of the time, it had to do with her relationship with Barry. But that's just my opinion :)

Regardless, I still feel like she deserves a breakout star award. Elevating the material she's been given (which is crap) must've been hard work. I like CP. I hope she flourishes. 

Anyways back to the topic at hand, I'm super happy for EBR and SA. I think they deserve it. EBR grew so much as an actress this season and SA just knocked it out of the park. I hope to continue to see them grow this season. :)

Iris had her own story, but IMO it wasn't very compelling, but mostly she was written as a romantic interest and not much else which is why she probably got more interesting to me after she found out about Barry's secret and started being useful. Whereas Caitlin, she wasn't bogged down by Barry because they worked together as a team and there wasn't a lot of conflict between them this season. I liked Caitlin more because she didn't do anything that upset me or annoyed me unlike Iris. And usually when Iris annoyed me, 90% of the time, it had to do with her relationship with Barry. But that's just my opinion :)

I'm gonna take this to the appropriate thread..but like...when I'm not tired and about to sleep. 

• Love 2
(edited)

And I'll just be in my corner happy that The 100 got 2 noms for its actors. It's like the most underrated show on network TV or something so at least it has some devoted fans. Of course, these actors aren't the best in the world... But not really any worse than the CW level, that's for sure.

Also, Danielle Panabaker? Seriously? I don't hate Caitlyn, but DP is the worst actor on the show for sure. (Well, in the regular cast, because nobody can be worse than Robbie Amell).

I think they've chosen the noms to get the most attention. The Flash is mostly popular among men, unlike stuff like TVD and its spin-off or even Arrow that has a huge female fandom - and men aren't usually as obsessive with this stuff (imho). So either they nominate GG and CP in breakout category or they just didn't think their fans are numerous enough and devoted enough to vote over and over. As for CP vs DP, I could imagine Iris being a divisive character could be the reason.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

I thnk Stephen Amell is sooo much the better actor, but Robbie Amell keeps getting these movie roles....

Acting is obviously subjective...plus it's irrelevant..

I disagree that acting is subjective (there's a pretty obvious difference between Helen Mirren and Jennifer Lopez).  But if it's irrelevant, what's the point of the awards at all? It just becomes a massive high school popularity contest.

I disagree that acting is subjective (there's a pretty obvious difference between Helen Mirren and Jennifer Lopez).  But if it's irrelevant, what's the point of the awards at all? It just becomes a massive high school popularity contest.

Ok yea...but that's apples and oranges in acting. A better argument may be between...Mirren and Streep. Is someone wrong because they say Mirren? Or is the other person wrong?

And yea...for the Teen Choice it's massively irrelevant and mostly a popularity contest (or which fanbase can vote the most) 

• Love 1

This is completely off topic. But personally, I feel like Meryl Streep should politely decline some of her nominations (not all, but some at least once). We all know that she is an amazing actor. She has proven that time and time again. I would love to see her publicly just let someone else get a nomination. And I am a very competitive person, who feels that generally the best talent should compete & win. But when you've racked up as much as she has, at some point you've worked yourself into a your own category of greatness.

Some people have declined. Candice Bergen took herself out of the nominations after winning a string of Emmys for Murphy Brown feeling that someone else should have a chance.  (Good for her because the Emmys especially feel like they're just kneejerk voting as James Spader wins yet another one and Hugh Laurie continues to be shut out.)

Emmys are special because technically, the actor has to put him/herself up for the nomination themselves. Of course it's the studio/network who's gonna pay the bill [noms cost money, and so does the campaigning], but if someone can decline an specific award, it's the Emmys. Most of the other awards don't require the talent to seek it out to be nommed.

• Love 1

As much as I like EBR, there's no way I can vote for her against Viola Davis, Tatiana Maslany, Taraji P. Henson and Stana Katic.

Stephen Amell has an easier time, but Timothy Olyphant really is bettter.

• Love 2
(edited)

Best villain. Lol. Define best. Ra's was evil but...Malcolm evil but... Deathstroke was in one episode. This season leaves me SmH at Vilian...

The writers?

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2

That's such a passive aggressive tweet from the after show people Lmao. I realized that the two women on that show are a bunch of sheeps with no real compelling viewpoints.

That show went to shit the second campea left.

• Love 1

I don't see it as passive aggressive, although I may be biased because he favorited a tweet of mine that said that Felicity and Lyla are the biggest bassasses.

It seemed to me that they got a lot more replies to the female badass vote saying they vote for Felicity (last time I looked, it was 89% Other) and now he requesting more people vote and now he's soliciting votes  in the villain poll.

• Love 2

Sheep because they dislike Felicity/like Laurel? Ok.

I meant when John campea was on they'd most likely agree with him in regards to a lot of aspects of the show aka laurel and felicity. Now that he's gone and another guy came in who's the exact opposite, they completely changed directions? It makes me believe they're like sheep and go where the herd takes them.

The change was rather instantaneous it gave me whiplash

• Love 6
(edited)

To summarize the two major voting contests ongoing now...

Teen Choice Awards 2015 - Wave 1 Nominees (show airs Aug. 16):

how to vote and voting rules

vote online here

(can vote once per day, voting through Friday, June 26, at 12:00 PM PT)

• Arrow nom. for Choice TV Show: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television
  • SA nom. for Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television
  • EBR nom. for Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television

Eonline Best Ever TV Awards 2015 - Best Actor and Actress in a Drama:

vote online here

(can vote multiple times, voting for all categories ends on Thursday, June 25, at 5 p.m. PT.)

• SA nom. for Best Drama Actor
  • EBR nom. for Best Drama Actress
Edited by tv echo

I'm sorry but it must really be awkward for the supporting actress to some people are getting all the nominations. That's a testament to EBR. She really has elevated the character. To me she's been the lead for a while now.