Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: The Ice Cometh

Drogo
  • Start Topic

As the weather gets colder and even less forgiving, the participants struggle to obtain basic resources. One participant continues to lose weight at a rapid and deadly pace, while another continues to be harassed by ruthless predators. Another contestant wakes one morning to a grave discovery and realizes that the Arctic winter has only just begun.

Jordan's fashion show with the rabbit vest was pretty funny.  Getting the fat from the moose head was pretty clever, as was making himself a deck of cards.  Dude was taking his solitaire losses pretty hard though lol.

At least the teddy bear was better than the rabbit puppet.  Interesting how the hares turn white in winter.  Nature is pretty amazing.  

Didn't know you could eat moss, they probably briefed them on that in training. 

Poor Nikki, I hate to see people get pulled because they've lost too much weight.  Nothing to be done about it, of course, but it's a shame because her spirit was still in the game.

• Love 17

Sorry Nikki got pulled too. Who was that in next week’s preview having a freak out? 

Maybe the wolverine is the mate of the one Jordan slaughtered. It has revenge on its mind!

BTW, I just recently watched an awesome survival movie, Arctic starring the marvelous Mads Mikkelsen. Highly recommend it. On Amazon Prime.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Interesting how the hares turn white in winter

Deer do it too. They are a beautiful golden brown color in the summer, a drab grayish color in winter. They blend in to the leafless forest so they are hard to spot in winter. We have a mother and fawn living on the property and it’s been so much fun watching the little one. Mom will literally come up to where I’m doing something outside, curious creature.

Was Nikki the only one who left? I fell asleep once they came to get her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Was Nikki the only one who left? I fell asleep once they came to get her.

Yes.  They've been doing a lot of fake-outs lately with the boat coming for med checks. 

1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I thought I saw a shadow of a camera man/woman in one or two shots? Maybe I’m delusional from not eating enough moss?

The med check crew includes cameramen, so it's possible depending on if they mix shots during editing. 

• Love 2

Nikki wrote a book about wilderness survival on Vancouver Island. I’ve ordered it from the public library. Looking forward to reading it. Sad to see her go, but she was definitely scary skinny. I was concerned for her health. I’ll miss her positive upbeat ways. 

jordan was rocking the rabbit vest, and made a cool deck of cards. Wolverines certainly are determined, and very smart.

Woniya’s bed frame is awesome. Her home is starting to look like a wilderness IKEA. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 9

I haven't been able to watch yet because of our football board, but.........Nikki got pulled?  YAY!  So much better than watching her kill herself.  Hopefully she didn't trip and break her leg on the way to the boat.  🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

When Nikki was talking about how great she looked, I was like "....oohhhhh, nooooo." I'm not a skinny-shamer and I'm not a person who sees anyone with a BMI under 24 as "too skinny, eat a burger," but she really didn't look good. Her skin was loose. She had clearly lost too much weight but couldn't realize it. I felt bad for her because she was not ready to leave mentally, and she didn't burn herself down with the juniper like I thought she might 😛

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

So we have Woynia, Jordan, Barry .... and who else?

Nathan..the one that didn't bring a fire starter. 

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

When Nikki was talking about how great she looked, I was like "....oohhhhh, nooooo." I'm not a skinny-shamer and I'm not a person who sees anyone with a BMI under 24 as "too skinny, eat a burger," but she really didn't look good. Her skin was loose. She had clearly lost too much weight but couldn't realize it. I felt bad for her because she was not ready to leave mentally, and she didn't burn herself down with the juniper like I thought she might 😛

I kept thinking, this chic is gonna burn her house down with her clothes and freeze to death before they can come and get her 🤣

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Nathan..the one that didn't bring a fire starter. 

I kept thinking, this chic is gonna burn her house down with her clothes and freeze to death before they can come and get her 🤣

Who would of thought “no fire starter in the arctic guy” would make it to the final four?

• Love 11

Jordan sure did rock that fashion show, he has such a great attitude.   Seems like nothing is going to bring him down.

It was great to see Woniya get two rabbits, and her bed was genius.  She is a rockstar!!

I think I have learned more about nature in this season than I have in a few others.   Which makes me look forward to seeing more.   I wish they had more shows like this because I really miss it when it isn't on.

Anyone want to predict the winner?    I do admit I want a woman to win this time so I am rooting for Woniya, but Jordan certainly deserves it also.    Wish we could have 2 winners..........lol.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Wouldn't you name this episode Two Rabbit Day?  Or Fashion Show? Or anything better than what they did name it?

Run, Rabbit, Run!!

1 hour ago, Tatortot said:

Wish we could have 2 winners..........lol.

Wouldn’t it be something if Woniya and Jordan hung in there so long that production decided to call it a tie and give them both the prize!

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I thought I saw a shadow of a camera man/woman in one or two shots? Maybe I’m delusional from not eating enough moss?

I thought so too, but it was just how he was holding the camera (with the long microphone attached) with his arm straight out to the side. The shadow from the setting sun made it look weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jordan needs to work on his catwalk, far too much shoulder, pelvis forward, shoulders back, and work those hips!

A shame about Nikki. I hate that it turns into a starvation challenge for most of them near the end. The only way around it would be to drop them in earlier in the season to allow them to stockpile food. At Great Slave Lake anyone with mediocre fishing skills should be able to stockpile a season's worth of food inside of a month, especially with a gill net.

Barry seems to be doing okay mentally, having recovered from his early misplaced assumption that his wife would be out to see him last week. But I'm still not sold that he has the mental fortitude to make it especially when it turns cold.

Woniya is doing great, two arctic hares! Any a very nice sleeping platform. I like how she continues to improve her shelter even though everyone must be thinking of the end game.

Barry - do not walk on thin ice. Do not jump on thin ice. Do not throw boulders at thin ice trying to break it. Hint, under the thin ice is very cold water. Barry you can walk on water (when it's frozen), but the water under the ice is still liquid. Think drowning at worst, hypothermia almost a given if you fall through.

I'm glad that we got the Halloween calendar marker at I think Day 52. I was assuming that they started 01SEP but it looks like they started 10SEP. Now that I know where they are on the calendar I've looked at the historical weather data and guess what?

Well I won't give out any spoilers, suffice to say that it's the arctic (well sub-arctic actually) and in the fall it gets cold, and then colder, and then a little bit colder before it gets really really cold.

Luckily our campers will have all tapped out by the time it gets really really cold. Can't wait to see how they handle the real cold when it comes.

P.S.  Barry - take your axe and chop a hold in the lake for water, or just ice as it has a lot more water per volume then snow.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Auntie, I think that you've been getting into the "magic" moss.  Unfortunately for the campers it only became legal in Canada on Oct 18th so none of the participants could add the 30 gram personal limit as one of their survival items.

• LOL 4
20 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

Barry - do not walk on thin ice. Do not jump on thin ice. Do not throw boulders at thin ice trying to break it. Hint, under the thin ice is very cold water. Barry you can walk on water (when it's frozen), but the water under the ice is still liquid. Think drowning at worst, hypothermia almost a given if you fall through.

I was becoming a nervous nellie when I saw him doing that.    After last week and thinking his wife was coming maybe his mind isn't too clear?    I remember a few others on Alone that got kind of fuzzy after a while.   

• Love 3

Poor Nikki, I couldn't decide if she was becoming delusional about how thin she was (like that previous guy --was it David?) , or if she just really believed she looked fine. She was pretty "high" about everything, all the time, so it's hard to tell. To be fair she didn't look that much thinner than some fashion models. Not that that is healthy, but I was wondering if her kooky personality hastened their decision to pull her, cuz they thought she was losing it.  

Jordan is just NOW stripping the moose head for it's fatty bits?! Surely those native people he learned from go for the fat straight away. Those cans of fat were liquid gold and I don't think I would have dared leave them on the meat rack. I would rather bury them inside my shelter.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Those cans of fat were liquid gold and I don't think I would have dared leave them on the meat rack. I would rather bury them inside my shelter.

I agree.  I know a basic to-do in camping is to keep your food away from where you sleep, but that fat was valuable enough in this situation to risk it.  I certainly wouldn't have put it on the same platform as the meat - twice. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

She was pretty "high" about everything, all the time, so it's hard to tell.

That's how I felt about Nikki too.  I was kind of glad they pulled her before she brought another disaster upon herself.  I half expected her shelter to go up in flames while she was sitting so close with almost no clothes on.  Deciding to undress on camera to "bathe" in smoke and purify herself or whatever she was doing seemed a bit unbalanced considering the weather.

I think Woniya has a good chance of making it to the end.  I hope she doesn't start making stuffed animals out of her rabbit skins next week.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, mlp said:

That's how I felt about Nikki too.  I was kind of glad they pulled her before she brought another disaster upon herself.  I half expected her shelter to go up in flames while she was sitting so close with almost no clothes on.  Deciding to undress on camera to "bathe" in smoke and purify herself or whatever she was doing seemed a bit unbalanced considering the weather.

I think Woniya has a good chance of making it to the end.  I hope she doesn't start making stuffed animals out of her rabbit skins next week.

Nikki is naturally “whimsical”. I’ve watched her YouTube channel, and that’s her personality. She doesn’t always make the best choices, but she does everything with enthusiasm. 

• Love 4

Jordon lost a second can of fat to wolverines.  Didn’t he learn anything the first time?   Dude, eat all you can then stash the rest in your shelter somewhere.  

He's lucky that moose wandered into the marsh to eat, otherwise Jordon would be long gone. 

• Love 2

Poor Niki.  She really did grow on me and I was rooting for her.  But that ‘teddy bear’ that she made was just frightening.  It looked like something you’d see a zombie child holding in some horror movie.  

Surprised there’s four people left going in to the last episode.  Usually it’s down to two or three.  Sadly, it seems like we’re at the stage again where people are being pulled for medical reasons, so I’m guessing we’ll see more of that next week.

• Love 2

I too was wondering why he didn't keep the fat in his shelter, its not like there was a whole lot of it.   Do you think he would risk predators coming in his shelter from the smell?   anyone know?

19 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Nikki is naturally “whimsical”. I’ve watched her YouTube channel, and that’s her personality. She doesn’t always make the best choices, but she does everything with enthusiasm. 

I would love to watch her youtube channel.   I assume if I do a search on her full name it will come up?

• Love 3

It’s been advised on several different seasons of this show not to store your food where you sleep. A pissed-off hungry wolverine would probably come in with guns blazing if he got a whiff. However, if you had a fireplace with a mantle of sorts you could probably store it there since the fire might be a deterrent.  I don’t really know because I wouldn’t last one night out there.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

It’s been advised on several different seasons of this show not to store your food where you sleep. A pissed-off hungry wolverine would probably come in with guns blazing if he got a whiff. However, if you had a fireplace with a mantle of sorts you could probably store it there since the fire might be a deterrent.  I don’t really know because I wouldn’t last one night out there.

Problem with that is the temperature near the fire is likely to be higher, which could be a problem if you're depending on the cold to help preserve the meat.  Probably the same for burying it under or near the fire.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, terrymct said:

Jordon lost a second can of fat to wolverines.  Didn’t he learn anything the first time?   Dude, eat all you can then stash the rest in your shelter somewhere.  

I really thought he was stupid to store it in the same place he lost it before without having rigged it first.  Putting all that wire up later was like closing the barn door after the horse gets out.  He could have found a better place to store it that wasn't his shelter.  How about dig a hole a few feet down and cover it over with dirt?  Wrap it tightly in thorny brush and tie it down?  Tie it to the very top of a pole that no animal could climb up to?  I'm just grasping but anything would have been better than to put it where it already got stolen.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, mlp said:

I half expected the same thing.  It did seem unbalanced.  I know she is supposedly "whimsical" but I wonder if some of the effects of starvation include going a little nuts.  We've seen it before on this show (Dave who didn't eat his smoked fish).  Not enough oxygen or something to the brain?

So now in addition to creepy rabbit puppet, we now have creepy rabbit teddy bear and an even creepier contestant going on about it.  Ugh.

Go Woniya!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I too was wondering why he didn't keep the fat in his shelter, its not like there was a whole lot of it.   Do you think he would risk predators coming in his shelter from the smell?   anyone know?

I would love to watch her youtube channel.   I assume if I do a search on her full name it will come up?

Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa070Ec8QE7K0_JjeyIhGLQ

Becoming Wild is the name of the channel.  Woniya also has a channel too. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Tatortot said:

Do you think he would risk predators coming in his shelter from the smell?   anyone know?

There is a definite risk of storing food in your shelter. Bears in particular are reputed to have the best sense of smell of all mammals. Dogs are 100-300% better than humans, black bears are 2100% better than humans. It's recommended that campers keep food at least 100 meters/yards away from their camp, usually high up in a tree to discourage predators.

As for a wolverine, it's sense of smell may not be as good as a bear's but it wouldn't be too far behind. And wolverines have been known to take on bears in a fight (and win, or at least not lose).

It is fairly common for bears to break into cabins in the north to go after food and they usually trash the inside of the cabin while looking for any food. None of the shelters would stand up to a determined bear or wolverine.

Both animals would be able to smell meat buried underground, wolverines will actually store food under snow. If you notice the landscape it's mostly rock, there is very little soil so finding a spot to dig down to any reasonable depth (even if you had a shovel) would be difficult.

Jordan probably thought that he did enough to protect the meat and even with his improved defenses it wouldn't surprise me if his anti-wolverine measures don't work and he loses the rest of his meat. Wolverines are smart!

Bears and wolverines know that winter is coming and want to eat as much as possible right now! Free meals are hard to come by. Hopefully the campers are not on the menu.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Token said:

Surprised there’s four people left going in to the last episode.  Usually it’s down to two or three.

I think that we have two episodes left. I'm really interested to see who wins it this year, they have all done well in different ways. And I bet that @cooksdelight would last a lot longer than she thinks out there!

• Love 2
On 8/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, mlp said:

Deciding to undress on camera to "bathe" in smoke and purify herself or whatever she was doing seemed a bit unbalanced considering the weather

There was a girl from several seasons ago who used to take her clothes off a lot, and at one point she stripped down and spent some time in some sort of spa tent or something like that.  I don't remember if there was smoke involved but there might have been.  It was some sort of rejuvenating ritual.  Anyone remember who I'm talking about?  

12 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

I think it was Callie(?) on season 3.  It was sort of a sweat lodge/sauna thing.  Didn't she get bit by a spider?  I think someone did.  

Callie sounds right, as do the spider bites.  She had a good run.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, meep.meep said:

Wouldn't you name this episode Two Rabbit Day?  Or Fashion Show? Or anything better than what they did name it?

Two white rabbits and a deck of cards.

36 minutes ago, endure said:

It's a play on the title of a famous play by Eugene O'Neill - The Iceman Cometh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I believe you are correct about Callie, wasn't she taken out by the med visit?

I don't think so.  I think she was one of those 'well, I've done everything I wanted to so now I quit' people.  I should really look it up.  😁

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I don't think so.  I think she was one of those 'well, I've done everything I wanted to so now I quit' people.  I should really look it up.  😁

She was actually one of those "I want to leave on my own terms" people.  She had gotten and recovered from spider bites, which made her look at things from a different perspective (so she says).  She realized that winning wasn't that important to her and that she was better off quitting while she was ahead.  Something about her reasoning never made sense to me and like a lot of people I was personally very disappointed when she tapped out.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

She was actually one of those "I want to leave on my own terms" people.  She had gotten and recovered from spider bites, which made her look at things from a different perspective (so she says).  She realized that winning wasn't that important to her and that she was better off quitting while she was ahead.  Something about her reasoning never made sense to me and like a lot of people I was personally very disappointed when she tapped out.

I was kind of surprised that no one tapped her for a survival show or podcast. She was very charismatic on camera. 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:05 PM, Yeah No said:

you are mixing up callie from season 3 with callie from season 7. Season 7 gal was pulled because of a frost bitten toe, she had no spider bites.