Type keyword(s) to search

Hawkeye in the Media: Target!

Pallas
  • Start Topic

The rollout of Marvel’s initial Disney+ slate was revealed on Saturday night at the San Diego Comic-Con....Hawkeye, featuring (as one would hope) Jeremy Renner in the title role and a yet-to-be cast Kate Bishop, debuts in the fall of 2021.  - from TVLine

• Love 1

Hawkeye is one of my favourite comic book characters... I really hate what the movies did to him.  The Hawkeye in the comic books is brash and hotheaded and wisecrackingly funny.  He was often written like Captain America's younger brother, often rebelling against authority and wanting to do things his own way.

The MCU Hawkeye was none of that... he was this ultraserious family man.  Not sure why they felt the need to give him a family... his whirlwind romance with Mockingbird and subsequent divorce (then her "death" and later resurrection) was a central part of his character.  He's also probably romanced more of Marvel's leading ladies than most (Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, 'Bird, Wasp (?), Spider Woman...)

I'm hoping this series, which does seem to be based on the Matt Fraction run, brings a more lighthearted approach to the MCU Hawkeye.  It would be really great if they actually could introduce him to Adrianne Palicki's Mockingbird, but it seems the focus is going to be a lot on Kate Bishop.

Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld made a brief virtual appearance from the Hawkeye set during yesterday's launch event for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (at around the 19:08 mark)...

Virtual Launch Event | Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Mar 18, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

This article from last month contains filming pics and video clips of Hailee Steinfeld (in costume) and Jeremy Renner on set...

Hailee Steinfeld pretends to draw and shoot an arrow while filming a rooftop scene with Jeremy Renner for the Disney+ miniseries Hawkeye
By SAM JOSEPH SEMON     11 February 2021
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9250519/Hailee-Steinfeld-pretends-draw-shoot-arrow-filming-rooftop-scene-Atlanta.html

‘Hawkeye’ Spinoff Series About Echo in Early Development for Disney Plus (EXCLUSIVE)
By Jordan Moreau   March 22, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hawkeye-disney-plus-echo-spinoff-1234934667/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 4/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

Hawkeye Disney+ Show Wraps Filming Announces Jeremy Renner

Clint Barton star Jeremy Renner announced on Instagram that filming has wrapped on the highly anticipated Hawkeye series set for Disney+ this year.

I'm really curious to see which direction this show goes... if it's based on the Fraction run then there should be a healthy dose of humour.  But I'm not sure if they will just go for a straightforward "mentor trains mentee and they go after the bad guys" storyline.

Possibly unpopular opinion:  I don't care for Kate Bishop in the comics.  I get that Hawkeye "died" and she took up the name when he was gone.  But when he came back, she should have found her own codename.  Hawkeye has been around since the 1960s so I don't understand why he has to share the name.

Monica Rambeau had to give up the Captain Marvel name to Genis-Vell.  Then she had to give up her Photon name to him as well.  (Which only adds to the awfulness that Carol Danvers took the name with zero issues.)  If Monica had to give up her name, then why didn't Kate give up the name?

• Love 2
On 4/22/2021 at 5:53 PM, blackwing said:

I'm really curious to see which direction this show goes... if it's based on the Fraction run then there should be a healthy dose of humour.  But I'm not sure if they will just go for a straightforward "mentor trains mentee and they go after the bad guys" storyline.

Possibly unpopular opinion:  I don't care for Kate Bishop in the comics.  I get that Hawkeye "died" and she took up the name when he was gone.  But when he came back, she should have found her own codename.  Hawkeye has been around since the 1960s so I don't understand why he has to share the name.

Monica Rambeau had to give up the Captain Marvel name to Genis-Vell.  Then she had to give up her Photon name to him as well.  (Which only adds to the awfulness that Carol Danvers took the name with zero issues.)  If Monica had to give up her name, then why didn't Kate give up the name?

Since Hawkeye seems to be completely different in the movies than he is in the comic books, maybe this story will be different too.  I'm guessing that Jeremy Renner is ready to move on, so maybe Hawkeye trains his replacement and then retires to be with his family?  He can pass on the name because he isn't coming back.  It could also be some sort of punishment or exile for all the bad things he did in the 5 years after the snap.  

(edited)

Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye Directors Share Tasty Update On The Disney+ Show’s Status
MEGAN BEHNKE    MAY. 30. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2568271/jeremy-renners-hawkeye-directors-share-tasty-update-on-the-disney-shows-status 

As of right now, Marvel Studios has a number of different productions in various stages of development, including a number of new TV shows. This includes a show revolving around founding Avenger Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye. Jeremy Renner’s Disney+ show wrapped filming just a few weeks ago, but fans are now even closer to getting the series. The directors, Bert & Bertie, recently shared an update with fans, and it’s a very tasty-looking one at that.

The duo’s Instagram post show that the directors cuts for the episodes of the upcoming series are officially done, and the update also included some delicious-looking cookies. You can check out the post for yourself down below:
There’s no confirmed release date for Hawkeye as of yet (though reports indicate that it could drop later this year), but the fact that the directors have made it this far means fans are one step closer to being reunited with Clint Barton and meeting Hailee Steinfeld’s Kate Bishop -- and it's been a long road. For a while, Steinfeld was only rumored to be taking up the Hawkeye mantle, before it was finally confirmed that she would indeed be portraying the co-lead.
Joining Renner and Steinfeld in the Marvel and Disney+ series are Black Widow’s Florence Pugh, who will be reprising her role as assassin/spy Yelena Belova, Better Call Saul’s Tony Dalton, Oscar-nominated actress Vera Farmiga (portraying Kate’s mother Eleanor), as well as Les Miserables’ Fra Fee, newcomer Alaqua Cox (who plays the role of Echo), and Fargo’s Zahn McClarnon. While we don't know how these characters will come together yet, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comics run may give viewers a better idea of what to expect.

E2hRMkAWUAUgkiV?format=png 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Conjuring Star Says Hailee Steinfeld 'Kills It' as Kate Bishop
BY KEEGAN PROSSER     June 5, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/the-conjuring-star-says-hailee-steinfeld-kills-it-as-kate-bishop/ 

Vera Farmiga, who stars in both The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It and Disney+'s upcoming Hawkeye series, shared a glowing review of her co-star Hailee Steinfeld.

"Hailee kills it in the role," the actor told ET. "Hawkeye trains a new successor, and so Kate Bishop is coming up. And I play her mama." Farmiga added, "I had a blast. It's going to be pretty special, I think."
Farmiga will portray Eleanor Bishop, mother of Steinfeld's Kate Bishop in the Disney+ series, with Jeremy Renner reprising his Marvel Cinematic Universe role of Clint Barton/Hawkeye.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Warning: mild spoilers...

Marvel's Hawkeye TV Show: 8 Quick Things We Know About The Disney+ Series
ERIK SWANN    JUN. 20. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2569055/marvels-hawkeye-tv-show-quick-things-we-know-about-the-disney-series 

Jeremy Renner returns to play Clint Barton and at SDCC 2019, was confirmed to be joined by fan-favorite hero Kate Bishop. Hailee Steinfeld was first linked to the role in 2019 but wasn’t confirmed until late 2020. Joining them are Vera Farmiga as Kate’s mom, Tony Dalton as Barton’s mentor, Jack Duquesne, Alaqua Cox as superhero Maya Lopez/ Echo, Zahn McClarnon as Maya’s father, Fra Fee as Kazi and Brian d'Arcy James in an undisclosed role. Black Widow’s Florence Pugh also returns as Yelena Belova as do the young actors who played Clint’s kids in Endgame.
As in the comics, Bishop is set to take on the mantle of Hawkeye, and this series will see Clint Barton take her on as a protégé and train her as an archer. As Jeremy Renner explained at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Barton’s goal is to train Bishop to be a “superhero without superpowers” and mold her into a “better version” of himself. With this, the show will take elements from Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye run (Lucky the Pizza Dog included). From here, Bishop will have plenty of room to grow and will eventually find her way into upcoming Marvel movies.
Aside from Clint Barton and Kate Bishop’s relationship, the show will also shed some light on a dark period in the founding Avenger’s life. At the tail end of the show’s SDCC 2019 panel, Kevin Feige confirmed that it will also “explore more of his time as Ronin.” Clint performed some dark deeds under his alternate persona, so any Ronin flashbacks are sure to be brutal. Fans are likely eager to get more insight into this time, and it’ll be interesting to see what the show reveals… and what Barton’s new mentee thinks about his past actions.
Hawkeye may not be here yet but, apparently, Marvel already has a considerable amount of confidence in one of its lead characters. Reports indicate that Marvel Studios is developing a spinoff series centered on Alaqua Cox’s Maya Lopez/Echo. Introduced in Daredevil comics in the late ‘90s, Echo is one of the few deaf characters in comics and is of Native American descent. The young hero is an Olympic-level athlete and skilled fighter with the uncanny ability to copy the movements of others. The character is definitely compelling and, if Cox can nail the role, her show should be interesting.

Hawkeye Is Expected To Arrive In 2021 But No Premiere Date Has Been Set
Jeremy Renner And Hailee Steinfeld Lead The Cast Of Hawkeye In The Roles Of Clint Barton And Kate Bishop
Clint Barton Will Train Kate Bishop To Become An Archer And Take On The Mantle Of Hawkeye
Clint Barton's Time As Ronin Will Be Explored On The Show
Mad Men’s Jonathan Igla Is The Head Writer Of Disney+’s Hawkeye
Hawkeye Has Three Directors On Board For The Series
Disney+’s Hawkeye Wrapped In April 2021 And Is Currently In Post-Production
A Hawkeye Spinoff Series Is Already Being Planned

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Interesting that it only mentions Clint's kids, and not his wife.  Linda Cardellini couldn't get out of her Netflix contract long enough to shoot some scenes?  I hope she's in it and they just didn't mention her.

• Love 1
(edited)

In this recent D23 podcast interview, Kevin Feige was asked the following Hawkeye question...

D23 Inside Disney Episode 96 | Kevin Feige on Black Widow
JULY 15, 2021
https://d23.com/podcast/d23-inside-disney-episode-96/

-- When asked whether Yelena will be showing up in the Hawkeye series, Kevin Feige: "I will say, it is our great hope - as I said before with Rachel [Weisz] and David Harbor, that Florence [Pugh] will have future appearances in the MCU. Where and when will be up to the viewers to see, when it happens."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, tv echo said:

As in the comics, Bishop is set to take on the mantle of Hawkeye, and this series will see Clint Barton take her on as a protégé and train her as an archer. As Jeremy Renner explained at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Barton’s goal is to train Bishop to be a “superhero without superpowers” and mold her into a “better version” of himself. With this, the show will take elements from Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye run (Lucky the Pizza Dog included). From here, Bishop will have plenty of room to grow and will eventually find her way into upcoming Marvel movies.

I take issue with their interpretation "as in the comics", because this isn't really how it happened.  In the comics, Hawkeye "died" in a Quinjet explosion.  Kate Bishop, who was already an archer, took up the name "Hawkeye".  Then Hawkeye came back from the dead (he was in some kind of alternate dimension I believe).  He told her that she could keep using the Hawkeye name, which I have always found odd.  Why wouldn't she have found another name out of respect?  And they have had some adventures together.

But I guess here in the MCU, the story is that Hawkeye is getting old and tired and wants to retire, so he trains Kate to be his successor.  That's not at all how it is in the comics, where Clint Barton is still very much active and not going anywhere any time soon.

I very much hope that we can see a lighter side of Clint here in this TV show.  The Matt Fraction run of Hawkeye comics is fantastic, and filled with the quips and personality that really make Hawkeye who he is.  It's really a shame what they have done to him in the MCU.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Victoria Alonso, Executive VP of Film Production at Marvel Studios, confirmed to Variety during the NALIP Media Summit that this series will be released before the end of 2021...

Marvel’s Victoria Alonso Teases ‘Mini Studio’ for Animation and Discusses Representation in Superhero Stories at NALIP Summit
By Ethan Shanfeld   July 20, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/marvel-victoria-alonso-new-series-representation-1235023739/ 

Alonso also noted that there are “a few other shows” that will come out before the end of the year, including “Ms. Marvel” and “Hawkeye.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Unconfirmed spoiler for Hawkeye (leaked on Reddit)...

Spoiler

HAWKEYE LEAKS REVEAL MARVEL’S PLAN FOR A FAN-FAVORITE NETFLIX VILLAIN
ALEX WELCH    JULY 28, 2021
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/hawkeye-show-leaks-kingpin 

A LONG-AWAITED RETURN — Moderators of the r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers subreddit reported this week that Vincent D’Onofrio will be reprising his Daredevil role as Wilson Fisk (aka, Kingpin) in Marvel’s upcoming Hawkeye series. The Reddit post also mentions that Hawkeye will reportedly premiere on Disney+ close to when Spider-Man: No Way Home hits theaters in December, due to some alleged “connections” between the two projects.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
Spoiler
On 7/28/2021 at 7:07 AM, tv echo said:

Unconfirmed spoiler for Hawkeye (leaked on Reddit)...

Hide contents

HAWKEYE LEAKS REVEAL MARVEL’S PLAN FOR A FAN-FAVORITE NETFLIX VILLAIN
ALEX WELCH    JULY 28, 2021
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/hawkeye-show-leaks-kingpin 

Spoiler

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk (I haven't really liked him since L&O: CI), so I'm not thrilled with this rumor. Hoping it's not true.

• Love 2
(edited)

Clint Barton finally meets Kate Bishop in Hawkeye first look
By Christian Holub    July 29, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/hawkeye-first-look-jeremy-renner-hailee-steinfeld/

"[Kate is] a 22-year-old kid and she's a big Hawkeye fan," Renner tells EW. "She has a wonderfully annoying and equally charming manner about her, because she's such a fangirl of Hawkeye. The relationship grows from that, but the biggest problem for Clint is Kate Bishop and the onslaught of problems that she brings into his life."
"That was always my role. Outside of acting in the thing, I was protecting her and giving her the CliffsNotes on how it goes with this kind of filmmaking: Green screen, superhero life, all that stuff," Renner says. "I just wanted to protect her, because there's a lot of physical stuff. She's a wonderful actress, a wonderful human, and I can't wait to see all the cool stuff that she's able to do."

Edited by tv echo

I'll be tuning in mostly to see Rogers,  The Musical, and really hope they pad the schedule just enough to squeeze the whole thing in. Because nothing could be better than a dancing Hulk, right? 

Edited by whiporee
  • Love 3

Rogers: The Musical?!? 

I don’t know whether to be excited or not. But the Die Hard vibes from the trailer have me intrigued. Well, what the hell, the shows have gotten me to care about Wanda, Vision, and Bucky, this might actually get me to like Hawkeye. (I always loved Sam, so he doesn’t count)

Also I want to see if Yelena shows up.

Nothing better happen to Lucky.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Rogers: The Musical oh my GOD

I couldn't finish even the first book of the Fraction Hawkeye run, but based on other's comments about that Hawkeye this seems to definitely be the same, tonally? I'm here for comedy Hawkeye, sure.

Were those hearing aids I noticed in Renner's ears? Maybe they'll say he damaged his hearing in the Endgame fight.

• Love 2

Marvel's Hawkeye Trailer Arrives, Jeremy Renner Returns on Disney+ This Holiday Season
JON FUGE — September 13, 2021
https://movieweb.com/hawkeye-trailer-disney-plus/ 

Hawkeye is scheduled to have its Disney+ premiere on November 24, 2021, and will consist of six episodes, concluding on December 29. It is part of Phase Four of the MCU. ....

Some screenshots from the Hawkeye trailer:
steve-rogers-musical-1.jpg

steve-rogers-musical-2.jpg

(pics source)

Hearing aid?
hawkeye-hearing-1.jpg
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Given that Chris Evans has a background in theater and song/dance, they missed an opportunity for hilarious cameo

I was thinking the same thing. I hope they at least ASKED him,  you know?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

So did Clint and his wife split up or is she just conveniently somewhere else?

The trailer seems to imply he packed off his family to a safe house while he deals with an assassination threat. A very handy way to take him from the MCU’s family man on a farm to Fraction’s single Hawkguy in NYC.

• Love 2

Trailer looks pretty amusing. I liked Fraction's run as an isolated view of a character called Hawkeye, wasn't too fond of the way it remade the main Marvel 616 version over in to such an incompetent "sad sack". On the other hand, how do you keep a character fresh and original for 60 years of comics? At least the movieverse version looks to get a decent send off.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Also I want to see if Yelena shows up.

Spoiler

I was wondering why she isn't in the trailer. Given the end credits scene in Black Widow, we know she's going to be after Clint, and Florence Pugh is listed in the credits on IMDB. Maybe there'll be another trailer where Yelena appears?

• Love 2
On 7/30/2021 at 4:40 AM, Maren said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk (I haven't really liked him since L&O: CI), so I'm not thrilled with this rumor. Hoping it's not true.

yeah, me either.  I fast forwarded thru most of his scenes in the last season of Daredevil.  I felt like he devoured the show when he was on and not in a good way.

I was wondering about the hearing aids too.  The fact that they are so visible means something.  And I really want to know if they will be using "Star Spangled Man with a Plan" in that Rogers: the Musical.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:
  Reveal spoiler

I was wondering why she isn't in the trailer. Given the end credits scene in Black Widow, we know she's going to be after Clint, and Florence Pugh is listed in the credits on IMDB. Maybe there'll be another trailer where Yelena appears?

Probably because it’s still a spoiler for 

Spoiler

Black Widow. By the time the second trailer is released BW will be available to all Disney+ subscribers.

15 hours ago, Abra said:

Were those hearing aids I noticed in Renner's ears?

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Linderhill said:

I was wondering about the hearing aids too.  The fact that they are so visible means something.

Spoiler

Comic Clint Barton has hearing loss. Although that hasn’t been completely consistent and the backstory has changed. There has been some criticism over MCU Hawkeye not being deaf or hard of hearing. The MCU is really pushing for more representation so this is probably a move in that direction as well as a nod to comic Clint. Plus Echo, who is deaf, is being introduced in the series. Assuming Clint having hearing loss is a plot point that creates a more natural intro for Echo.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, starri said:

They appear to have taken EXACTLY what they needed to take from Fraction's run

I got irrationally happy when they cut to the shot of Hawkeye surrounded by men in track suits.

• Love 2

Loved the trailer... the Christmas scenes and the soundtrack definitely give off "Die Hard" vibes.  I love that this show is clearly adapted from the Fraction run (even down to the title logo) and that it brings in the humour of that particular run and the fact that Hawkeye in the comics is one of the funniest and most irreverent guys in comics.  As I mentioned above, I hated the dour and serious MCU Hawkeye, so this version of him is great to see.

Too bad that this show is almost certainly going to be Clint Barton's sendoff.  I wish this funny version is the version we had gotten in the MCU.  I still think it was such a puzzling choice to write him the way they did in the movies.  It's funny because I'm pretty sure that Iron Man in the comics is this serious guy without any humour at all, and yet MCU Iron Man is funny and cracks jokes.  It's like the Hawkeye and Iron Man personalities were reversed.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Have they announced that this is a limited series or a one and done? Just want to prepare myself, don't want to get too invested

I don’t think they’ve announced anything, but it seems clear that the purpose of WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is not to be ongoing series but to bridge the gap and set up things in between movies.  I’m not sure why Loki is getting a second season though.

Jeremy Renner has stated before that he kept hoping they would kill off Hawkeye because he didn’t like the role.  So I’m sure he’s going to retire from the MCU movies like Downey, Evans and Johansson.  It seems clear that the purpose of this series is to introduce Kate Bishop and when next we see her in an MCU movie she will either be part of the Young Avengers or offered a spot on the main team.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Have they announced that this is a limited series or a one and done? Just want to prepare myself, don't want to get too invested

Even in the comics, didn’t Kate Bishop take over the Hawkeye solo title? If Marvel does a second season, even not having seen the first season I’d expect Kate to be the sole Hawkeye.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, arc said:

Even in the comics, didn’t Kate Bishop take over the Hawkeye solo title? If Marvel does a second season, even not having seen the first season I’d expect Kate to be the sole Hawkeye.

I don't think there really is an ongoing Hawkeye solo title in the sense of an open-ended series like the Avengers and the X-Men (and of course, Marvel keeps re-booting and re-numbering them all every so often), there's more like a series of limited runs.  The Fraction run which kicked off Hawkeye's semi-regular/limited series runs featured both Clint and Kate.  Then there was one which was only Kate I believe (with maybe a Clint cameo or minor support).  I think the most recent Hawkeye limited series was called Hawkeye: Freefall and that one was about Clint.  And I think there is an upcoming Hawkeye Kate Bishop limited series.

So in the comics, Clint Barton is very much still active as Hawkeye, and Kate Bishop is also Hawkeye.  I still have never understood why she wouldn't just take on a new name once Clint came back from the dead.  But I guess that's the ongoing schtick, that they are both Hawkeye.  Unlike in the MCU, where Clint is clearly on his way out.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, arc said:

Not sure. I know when I dipped into the Jeff Lemiere the Title was Hawkeye and featured both.  I think it was canceled not too long after and I don't think there's a current Hawkeye Title featuring either character. 

I don't necessarily think that there's a passing to torch exercise with these characters but, I don't know what MCU has planned. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1