Type keyword(s) to search

Hawkeye in the Media: Target!

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Hawkeye: 16 Burning Questions Heading Into the Final 2 Episodes
By Matt Webb Mitovich and Keisha Hatchett / December 12 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/hawkeye-burning-questions-rolex-watch-yelena-kingpin/ 

15 DOES NATASHA GET A FAREWELL BALLAD IN 'ROGERS: THE MUSICAL'?
We have to get the Soul Stone,
And you can’t leave your family all alone.
Now as we lay me down to rest,
Know we’ll always have Budapest….

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

2021 in Review: The 15 Coolest Scenes
By Team TVLine / December 14 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/coolest-tv-scenes-2021-squid-game-hawkeye-wandavision-video/

HAWKEYE (Season 1, Episode 3)
In the pantheon of cinematic car chases, the Disney+ series secured itself a high-ranking spot by dangling Kate Bishop out a passenger window while Clint navigated city streets and FDR Drive (sometimes backwards). Adding high comedy to the big thrills was Kate’s on-the-spot experimentation with unlabeled trick arrows, waylaying the Tracksuits who were in hot pursuit in ways both intended and very much not.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

SpoilerTV Readers' five nominees for Nov. 2021 Performer of the Month included Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop in Hawkeye (but she did not win)...

Performers of the Month - November 2021 | (Nominees and winners) | SPOILERTV
SpoilerTV   Dec 15, 2021

Quote of the Week - November 28 - December 11
Posted by Dahne1 at December 15, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/12/quote-of-week-november-28-december-11.html 

Hawkeye - Folie-lex 
1. Kazi [translating for Maya]: "You rely too much on technology." Clint: "Well, my go-to weapon is two sticks and a string, so..." Kazi: "No she means your hearing aid." Clint: "Ah." 
2. Kate: "Oh, we gotta walk the dog." Clint: "You're not wrong..." Kate: "He's been cooped up all day. Not quite sure how long a dog can...--" Clint: "... to call yourself one of the world's greatest archers." Kate: "Oh my God. You really think so? I won't lie, I wasn't sure how I'd do under all that pressure, but I...--" Clint: "Probably should walk the dog, don't you think? Been cooped up all day." 
3. Clint: "There are several reasons why I'd never wear a flashy costume. My job is to be, number one, a ghost. Number two, my wife would divorce me if I put something like this on. And number three, uh...I'm not a role model. I'm sorry, Kate. I'm not a role model to anyone. Never have been."

Female Stunt Performers From ‘Hawkeye’ to ‘Kung Fu’ Talk Kicking Butt and Trouncing Stereotypes on TV
By Whitney Friedlander    Dec 13, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/hawkeye-kung-fu-stunt-performers-stereotypes-1235128318/ 

“There are a lot of female stunt doubles and stunt performers and there have been for a lot of years,” says Heidi Moneymaker, the stunt coordinator on “Hawkeye” who is also known for doubling Scarlett Johansson in several “Avengers” movies.

Moneymaker says that “one of the issues right now is that there’s so much content out there and that is creating an extremely high demand for performers. That gives an opportunity for younger people to step up and get some experience in a role that they might not have had in the past.”
A spokesperson for SAG-AFTRA tells Variety that the proportion of female-identifying stunt performers in the union hasn’t grown that much in recent years. At the time of the SAG-AFTRA merger in 2012, stunt performers who identified as women were at 19% — however, since 2012, the number of female stunt performers who are members of SAG-AFTRA is up by 93%.

But it also seems like what’s expected from female performers has become more inclusive.
Moneymaker, who broke in with such jobs as doubling Drew Barrymore on the movie “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle,” says that her side of the industry has “turned into more of a performers’ game. Instead of coming in and being tough and knowing how to fall and knowing how to do big gags, you actually have to perform the whole action scene.

“There’s been a whole flow of the different fight styles,” she continues. “With ‘The Matrix’ era, we got into some kung fu and then in more recent years, there’s been a little bit more of an [interest] with MMA. There is this realism now where they really want to see the actors doing a stunt. So they want to see really gritty — not so spectacular — stunts. They want to see something that looks real.”
For a stunt coordinator like Moneymaker, this also means that she’ll spend “time trying to figure out the safest way I think we can do this with the [lead] actor. And then, depending on how much time I have with them and how much training I can do with them, we often make a very actor-friendly version.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Boss | Marvel Studios' Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 16, 2021

Hawkeye's Hailee Steinfeld Talks Kingpin Reveal, Kate's 'Incredible' Banter With Yelena
By Keisha Hatchett / December 16 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/16/hawkeye-hailee-steinfeld-episode-6-kingpin-kate-yelena-disney-plus/ 

“There’s a lot of loose ends to tie up,” Steinfeld tells TVLine. “There’s a lot of things yet to be revealed. The stakes couldn’t be higher.”
It’s unclear where Kate currently stands with her mom, but according to Steinfeld, “we’re about to find out.”

“She has this realization,” the actress says. “She’s just completely broken and confused and absolutely lost. She doesn’t know who to trust or who to look to.” However, Kate does have Clint and “thank God because if it weren’t for him, she would probably have a much harder time getting back up on her feet after this one.”

With this Kingpin reveal, Kate realizes that she “has no choice now but to really go to work.” If the situation didn’t feel real for the would-be Avenger before, it certainly does now.

“The stakes are higher than ever, and the one person that she’s been tirelessly trying to protect is now someone that she might need to be protected against. She comes to her senses as quickly as she possibly can after learning this information and puts her head down and does what she has to do,” she adds.
“There are moments we’ve seen that Kate can be pretty annoying, and this ridiculous overconfidence of hers can get the best of the situation and not have it go the way it might have been planned,” Steinfeld explains. “But I do think Clint ultimately respects her and he might see a little bit of himself… He feels a connection towards Kate, he wants to protect her. I think that they get to a point where it’s not a Kate thing, it’s not a Clint thing, it’s a Kate and Clint thing and there’s no going back so they have no choice but to work together.”
“It really so seamless getting through it with Florence [Pugh]. The banter is incredible,” the Hawkeye star continues. “We’ve got a girls’ night over mac and cheese and hot sauce so how could that not be so much fun? But [also] realizing that this scene does, in fact, carry a lot of weight. These two characters who find this quick connection and almost friendship in each other but know that that cannot and will not get in the way of what they’re both trying to achieve. Kate is at a loss with what Yelena is after and is trying to understand what she’s there to do and why she’s so sure about what kind of person Clint is.”

29 "Hawkeye" Behind-The-Scenes Facts Straight From Directors Bert And Bertie
by Nora Dominick    December 16, 2021
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/hawkeye-behind-the-scenes-facts 

6. Yelena and Kate's iconic meeting over dinner in Episode 5 involved a lot of improvisation from Florence and Hailee, and Bert and Bertie simply set the cameras up and watched them have fun.
"We did a rehearsal, but every single thing was just perfect between them, and the improvisation that they brought to it was dynamite. We could just sit back at the monitors and just enjoy every single take and their chemistry," Bertie said. "It was a really fun day."

7. Florence Pugh was the one who came up with the hot sauce moment during Yelena and Kate's dinner. In fact, Florence liking hot sauce and Hailee not is what sparked the idea for having Yelena eat it only after Kate's finished.
"There was obviously a script and it was planned, and we knew we wanted Kate to kind of turn and throw something at Yelena. At first, we were just looking around the set and there was one of those lucky cats from Chinatown. So, it was going to be that at one point, but then there was this hot sauce bottle, and we loved that," Bertie said. "Then, Florence was like, 'Oh, well, this hot sauce now needs to go all over the mac and cheese.' Florence is hugely into hot sauce, but Hailee not so much. So, the whole thing where Yelena basically says, 'Are you done? Can I go crazy?' That was not planned."
9. Also, Yelena insulting Kate's one fork wasn't in the original script. Florence came up with the idea on set and Hailee's response was genuine.
"When they were rehearsing, Florence was like, 'I'll need to get some implements. So, we'll go over here.' She picked it up and just went, 'There's one fork! There's only one fork!' So, that's where that dialogue came from," Bertie explained. "The props people were searching around for other forks, but they only had plastic ones, so it became the one proper cutlery fork and one plastic fork. It was perfect and it all went into the script and we came out with this hilarious Yelena and Kate scene. Florence and Hailee are just so relaxed with each other that Hailee could come out with the, 'I'm one person,' line as response to Florence running with the cutlery joke. It was funny, but also very Kate."
11. Florence helped pick out Yelena's two outfits in Episode 5. For example, she suggested Yelena wear the big fur coat while trailing Eleanor.
"Florence suggested the fur coat for Yelena," Bertie revealed. "She was like, 'I'm gonna wear a fur coat. This is just what Yelena is gonna wear.' Suddenly Yelena's incognito outfit became a fur coat with an 'I love New York' shirt. It worked though because Yelena just needs to turn her head a little bit to not be seen. It's all that Widow training, they've got some Jedi mind tricks going on."

12. And at first, Yelena was going to wear the fur coat while visiting Kate's apartment, but Florence wanted to "look like an f-ing pirate" and have a different vibe during that scene.
Bertie continued, saying, "Originally, we wanted the fur coat outfit for the mac and cheese scene, and, these are Florence's words, she was like, 'No, I want to look like an f-ing pirate when I walk into that apartment.' So she had that long coat on instead."
19. Bert and Bertie studied Natasha's death on Vormir from Avengers: Endgame and re-created it shot-for-shot during the moment when Kate falls off the roof in Episode 4.
Bertie said, "We just looked back at that Endgame scene. We looked at how this rooftop in New York was kind of like that epic cliff on Vormir. In terms of the shots, we could replicate the shots that are done. You have a wide shot from the side that shows Kate hanging there, you have the shot looking up at Clint, even with his hand over the edge, like in Endgame. You also have this close-up on Kate, just like Natasha. The only difference is Kate is not saying 'It's okay,' she's saying, 'Pull me up.' There's the slow motion of it all too and we did everything that we could do to echo the Clint and Natasha moment. And, of course, the music was there to add an extra kick of emotion for MCU fans around the world."
21. Linda Cardellini helped push for a big Laura Barton storyline, and she worked a lot with Marvel and the Hawkeye team to make it happen.
sub-buzz-5716-1639603120-18.jpg "Her character grew beyond what she's been able to do before, in terms of what they gave Laura. So, hats off to Marvel for recognizing Linda's talent and recognizing that a woman doesn't just have to be at home with the kids. She's got more to contribute than that," Bert said. "Marvel worked with Linda and the team to give Laura Barton more. It made us very happy to be part of that and it opened her character to be more important to not only Clint Barton, but also the Marvel Cinematic Universe."
28. Clint's moment at the Avengers memorial where he talks to Natasha was one of the first scenes Bert and Bertie filmed for Hawkeye.
sub-buzz-5748-1639601558-11.jpg
Bertie explained, "We had had a day or two of filming and we'd been filming some of Episode 3 and the more conversational banter stuff. Then, Jeremy had to put himself all the way to the end of this journey and the end of that emotional decision to revisit Ronin. It's a very touching goodbye and it's amazing to watch an actor of Jeremy's caliber be able to switch up his tone and absolutely go there."

29. And finally, Bert and Bertie said it's exciting to see how much fans want a Hawkeye Season 2, but they "can't say anything."
"It's exciting to hear fans clamoring for a Season 2," Bertie said. "We can't say anything. I think that's when you know you're doing something right and that people are really satisfied. They've been around for this rollercoaster and they want more. More Kate, more Yelena, more everything. It's the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so these stories continue, right?"

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Yelena already has two Funko POP figures...

20e5785858454a13987b64b8a2054957lg.jpg

7a28e0ac7ff64240a564b82ec778cc66lg.jpg

Which Insecure Life Was Better? Was Masked Singer Winner Obvious? Could Xander Have Won Survivor? More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby, Keisha Hatchett and Charlie Mason / December 17 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/17/succession-season-3-finale-shiv-pregnant-tv-questions-answers/

13 | After this week’s Hawkeye, who else wants a Yelena Belova cooking show where she just insults her guests and dabs hot sauce on everything? (Think she carries hot sauce in her bag like Beyonce?)

Bake a Batch of Hawkeye-Inspired Snickerdoodle Cookies
BY JENN FUJIKAWA   December 14, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/hawkeye-snickerdoodle-cookies-disney-plus 

The real focus here is the fresh snickerdoodles Grills is baking in his apartment. What a whirlwind of a day, LARPing, crime-fighting, cookie baking — it’s all understandably a bit much for Clint — but just think of those cinnamon sugar sweets, and what a great reward they’ll be after finding those dangerous projectiles, bro!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The TVLine Performers of the Week: Hailee Steinfeld and Florence Pugh
By Team TVLine / December 18 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/18/hailee-steinfeld-florence-pugh-performances-hawkeye-episode-5-kate-yelena/

THE PERFORMERS | Hailee Steinfeld and Florence Pugh

THE SHOW | Disney+’s Hawkeye

THE EPISODE | “Ronin” (Dec. 15, 2021)

THE PERFORMANCES | You were probably thinking, “Whaaat?! This is crazy. Kate Bishop is going to have dinner with the enemy?”

And yes, Kate’s most unexpected “Girls Night In” with Yelena Belova was crazy. Crazy good, loaded as it was with winningly delivered dialogue that was every bit as delicious as boxed mac-and-cheese smells.

Steinfeld up until this point had shouldered almost the entirety of comic relief for this Marvel series, meeting Jeremy Renner’s grizzled veteran superhero with the sass and spark of an eager up-and-comer. But with Pugh’s arrival as Black Widow‘s Yelena — who was bubbling with enthusiasm over both hot sauce and seeing the Empire State Building (while in the same breath making it clear that she could kill you) — Steinfeld served as the straight(er) man for much of this delightful and at-times hilarious nine-minute sequence.
“You are so fond of him… it tells me you don’t know who he really is,” Yelena observed, as Pugh leaned forward and quieted her voice to a chilling coolness. But Kate stood by her mentor, with Steinfeld really selling the stance: “He is not perfect — nobody’s perfect — but he is good.” The two then reached an impasse and the two-hander ended, far, far too soon for our liking. So entertaining was their repartee, we aren’t sure if we were left wanting them to really duke it out, or curl up on a couch to Disney+ and Chill.

It has been noted that this is the new Hawkeye/Black Widow dynamic we have to look forward to in the MCU. To which we say: How soon can we advance order our tickets? (And can we smuggle mac and cheese into the theater?)

Hawkeye: Marvel Shares Holiday Card From Bishop Security
By JAMIE JIRAK - December 18, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-marvel-shares-holiday-card-from-bishop-security/

"I hope [Hawkeye is necessary viewing for the holidays]," Feige told Entertainment Tonight. "It's fun, we've always wanted to do a story [at Christmas]. We had a little bit in Iron Man 3 that was our Christmas story — nobody really looks at it as a [Christmas story], we sort of consider that a Christmas movie. But this, unabashedly, is a holiday story."

"I love the idea of it being a perennial that people can check out every holiday season," Feige added. "I love that it's debuting just before Thanksgiving, it concludes just before Christmas. For the first time, you get a title Avenger on Disney+, which is great. Jeremy Renner, of course, is the best, and he's the reason to do it. Thankfully, Hailee wanted to work with him, so we got her to play Kate Bishop, and it's that pairing that I think is gonna make for very happy holidays." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Hawkeye' directors discuss why episode 5 was the right time to bring back an iconic Marvel villain, and what this might mean for the finale
Olivia Singh    Dec 16, 2021
https://www.insider.com/hawkeye-kingpin-return-directors-bert-and-bertie-episode-5-interview-2021-12 

But more surprisingly, Yelena informed Kate that Eleanor is the one who hired her to kill Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) — which prompts a bunch of questions about what Eleanor's up to, why she would initiate a hit on her daughter's favorite superhero, and how this all connects to the "Black Widow" end-credits scene involving Yelena and Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (aka Val, played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus).

"There's something about the simplicity of the simple tease," Bert said, explaining that now, all eyes are on next week's finale. 
Bert said that this newly-uncovered connection between Eleanor and Kingpin will "dramatically" affect how things unfold on the sixth and final episode of the season. 

"It was an interesting twist that she was there in the room with Kingpin," she said, adding that the "possibilities are endless" and it'll have major emotional ramifications for Kate.
But the timing of the reveal that he's Maya Lopez/Echo's (Alaqua Cox) mysterious uncle — and the show's big bad — was intentional.

"We kinda loved that it was this grainy, grainy impression of him and just confirms everyone's suspicions because there have been lots of theories and that one's been the outstanding theory about who this was," Bertie said. "It's Marvel. There've been different iterations of how Kingpin was revealed and this is the one that served the story, to hold him back to the very end of five."

"We're gonna see what he's got in store playing out in six," she added. 
When asked if "Daredevil" will be treated as canon in the MCU or if D'Onofrio is playing a new version of Kingpin, the directors' lips were sealed.

"Tune in on Wednesday for episode six," Bertie said, with Bert giving the same response when asked about the theory that Kingpin is the yet-to-be-revealed person who purchased Avengers Tower from Tony Stark/Iron Man in "Spider-Man: Homecoming."
As for any other teases the directors could spare about next week's finale, Bert said: "Expect the unexpected."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

TV's Best, Worst and Most of 2021 (Part 1)
Team TVLine    December 21, 2021
https://tvline.com/gallery/2021-tv-shows-best-worst-moments-photos/hawkeye-pym-arrow/ 

Funniest Scene
Hawkeye shoots Pym Arrow, Hawkeye

'Hawkeye’ Directors Bert and Bertie on ‘No Way Home’ Reference and Setting Up the Finale
BY AARON COUCH     DECEMBER 21, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/hawkeye-directors-big-guy-no-way-home-1235066130/ 

The wall changed slowly. Is that Yelena’s mind catching up to her new reality?
Bertie:
In conceiving it and actually shooting it, it was going to be much more from her perspective in the way that she wouldn’t actually see the traces of grainy-ness. She wouldn’t see the world-changing, because she was just experiencing this slight blackout. Then in the edit and in post, it didn’t feel enough. It was making the viewer ask too many questions. We added a little bit of grainy-ness coming back into it, and then the layer of the wallpaper changing. Artistically there is a merging of her state into reality.
Writers and directors of Disney+ Marvel shows talk about doing things you can’t do in the movies. A ten-minute macaroni and cheese scene really proves that. What was the secret to getting that right? 
Bertie:
There were two secrets to making the ten-minute scene interesting. One of them is Hailee Steinfeld and the other one is Florence Pugh.
At the end of the scene, we learn he’s going to do something that is a little bad, and then we get him with the Ronin outfit. What was it like getting the fight scene right?
Bert:
It was so important that there is a merging of the Clint Barton and the Ronin that he believes he’s left behind. At the end of the [plaque] scene, it was important for us to have him lift that black hoody up, which is a hint to where we are going . It’s Clint facing his dark past and putting on his dark past. He wants to put that behind him, but the fact of the matter is, if this doesn’t go down the way he wants it to go down, he’s willing to do anything to save and protect his family. So you do see the darkness, but you the Clint Barton of him wanting rather than to stab [Maya Lopez], to actually take the mask off, be brave, confront who he is, and plead to her humanity and the connection they have, in that they are tools for other people.
On Netflix he was the fan-favorite villain. So that’s a treat to have him back I imagine.
Bertie:
It means so much. not just logistically for the world. But just the level of intense sociopathic, evilness. (Laughs.) Which is the real stake. There have been stakes building throughout Hawkeye. It starts off very fun and games and the Tracksuits and the introduction of Maya Lopez and there’s Yelena and it just keeps getting more intense. It’s wonderful being part of this show that starts as one thing and it just escalates until these tones merge, so we can go from laughing your heart out to gripping the edge of your seat.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Clint & Kate: Partners, Am I Right? | Marvel Studios' Hawkeye | Disney+
Disney Plus   Dec 22, 2021

Rogers, the Musical? How a real-life Captain America Broadway musical almost happened in the '80s
By Chris Arrant    December 2, 2021
https://www.gamesradar.com/Captain-America-broadway-musical/

After watching Disney Plus' Hawkeye, fans are coming away wanting to see two things: more Hawkeye episodes, and Rogers: The Musical. That fun little bit further deifies the seemingly-departed original Captain America, but also touches on an actual piece of comics history - or almost history. Because in the mid-'80s Marvel Entertainment tried to launch a Captain America Broadway show, and even went as far as a casting call.
Described as "a musical spectacular" in Marvel casting ads at the time, Captain America even got a write-up in the New York Times - which gives us a hint at the story, which is… intriguing.

"The superhero will not, in fact, be particularly super when the curtain goes up. The book by Mel Mandel and Norman Sachs (who are also responsible for music and lyrics) has Captain A. going through a midlife crisis," writes New York Times' Enid Nemy in the April 5, 1985 edition. "Fortunately, the action speeds up - his girlfriend [Sharon Phillips], a candidate for President, is captured by terrorists and held hostage at the Lincoln Memorial."

The villain of the Captain America musical was a cosmetics CEO named Jay Peters, who was secretly funding the aforementioned terrorists.

Although a full song list hasn't been revealed, some of the song titles included 'Fly the Flag,' 'Into the Gym,' 'Nobody Asked Me to Lead a Parade This Year,' 'Both Ways,' 'If I Could Fall In Love,' 'Marvin Mittleman,' and 'The First Presidential.'
Broadway stage actor John Cullum was cast in the titular role of John Rogers, and Blazing Saddles' leading man Cleavon Little was cast as the villainous cosmetics tycoon Jay Peters. It isn't clear who was cast to play Sharon Phillips, but Linda Lavin and Cloris Leachman were both being pursued for the role at different points.
"This is essentially a love story about a man who's always been strong, independent - even macho - and a sensitive, assertive, bright, and political woman," Mandel said in a March 27, 1988 The Morning Call article.

Marvel ran casting ads in its comics for a 10 to 14-year-old female actor "who can sing, dance, and act up a storm." The character was later named 'Mister', and the House of Ideas' house ad called her "his very special friend". 
The budget for the Captain America Broadway musical was reported at $4 million at the time, which translates to about $10 million in 2021 dollars. According to the New York Times, Marvel planned to stage the production "out of town" in the fall of 1985 but bring it to Broadway in time for the winter holidays.

That never happened, however. After a  series of one-off performances in the New York area to drum up funds didn't succeed, the Broadway production was put into what film fans well: 'development hell.' Marvel and the producers tried for several years to get the Broadway Captain America off the ground, but by the end of the '80s the project was mothballed. 

In a coincidental turn of events, the Captain America Broadway show with a cosmetics executive as its main villain was killed once Marvel was acquired by an investment group owned by an actual cosmetics executive named Ronald Perelman (of Revlon). Among other things, Perelman wanted to trim Marvel's expenditures ahead of a stock offering - and Captain America's Broadway ambitions were one of those things cut.

1985 Captain America casting ad:
kUw9jbJQZEY5FQp5PACCng.jpg

John Cullum as Captain America:
PQPjchEfVeBsJfFPmg9wKk-970-80.jpg

FYI:

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 2

Hawkeye gag reel now up at Disney+ (about 2 minutes long, you have to log in to watch)...

Hawkeye Reveals Hilarious New Blooper Reel to Celebrate the Season Finale
By JAMIE JIRAK - December 22, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-reveals-hilarious-new-blooper-reel-to-celebrate-the-season-finale/ 

... However, Disney+ released an extra little treat today... a blooper reel! 

The video is more like the end credits of a family comedy, showing the cast laughing amidst title cards featuring their names. You can check it out on the Disney+ website

'Hawkeye' Director Rhys Thomas on the Finale, the Rockefeller Plaza Fight, Hiding Big Secrets, and What He's Heard About Season 2
BY CARLY LANE   December 23, 2021
https://collider.com/hawkeye-director-rhys-thomas-interview/ 

When you had talked to Steve [Weintraub] at the beginning of the season, you had mentioned that you always try to make sure that even the moments of action serve the characters and the story. Keeping in this Rockefeller theme, it feels like there's no better scene that encapsulates that in this episode than the fight between Clint and Yelena. Even when they're fighting, there's this sense of emotions that are coming to the surface. As the fight gets more aggressive, she's clearly getting into that place. How did you, in trying to stage the scene, try to strike the balance between action and character development?
THOMAS:
That's a good question. Again, that was a scene, that it really was for Jeremy and Florence [Pugh]... It was a tough one to toggle as well, because you needed that turning point in the fight. Obviously, Yelena lands with a mission in mind and almost like a clean sense of justice. And Clint has honestly had that... In the way that Jeremy does very well, his response is to open himself completely and he understands that she needs to do what she needs to do. And if that means that he dies, I think, there's that sense that, if that's what has to happen for her and for him to perhaps find peace within such thing, you sense that he's at that point where he's come to peace with it.

It's all in feeling. That's what's interesting is, it's not like Clint says much to her. It's almost [like] you're watching someone primal scream and slowly break down the walls of what they ultimately maybe deep down know and understand. I remember the beginning of that night, because we shot that whole thing in one night, and we spent a lot of time at the beginning of the day just talking it through. We rehearsed it and talked it through. Again, not rehearsed it in terms of performing any of it, but just talking it through in the moments and just understanding what those individual beats through the fight were. So that they knew where to go, but again, hats off to them. All you can do when you've got two actors like that is sort of gently nudge them out there and provide little bumpers, but it was all them.

Speaking of two actors that I feel like you must have just let the camera roll on: Hailee and Florence. The scenes with them in this episode, I feel, are just a great continuation of what we'd already seen in "Ronin." I know that [directors] Bert and Bertie had talked about how there were a lot of ad-libs from Florence. Was there was anything in Episode 6 that might have been a surprise while filming during the scene or maybe rehearsal that ended up changing how things turned out?
THOMAS:
Yeah. Ultimately, what was great was that Florence is the type of person that just arrives. She arrives on set and just brings a certain energy with her. There's this very positive energy in the room when she's there. Hailee too, as well, and I think that was the thing, it would just... It's funny, I can't remember what was ad-lib versus what was scripted or what we planned, but ultimately, it was just getting them in the elevator and that little fight, and then obviously the chase through the corridor. It was just fun the whole night. So, yes, it was them playing and me trying to think of ways to give them more room to play and seeing what happens.

Their energy, again, like everyone noticed, the chemistry is just so present and fun. I always knew this scene was going to be fun as we were planning it, the elevator and the buttons, and the chase through the office. I always knew that would be a lighter moment of this sequence, but then you get together and you're like, "Oh God, this is better than I could have imagined."
The mid-credit scene, putting the entire Rogers: The Musical in there. Was that an early decision to put that full version [in]? And was that the version that was filmed for the beginning of the show or was that a separate filmed version?
THOMAS:
I was not aware. It wasn't planned that that was going to be the way that the show was going to close. I was actually a little in the dark too. I was curious, like, "Is this slot going to be reserved for teeing something else up?" In the tradition that Marvel's known for. I was waiting for what that was going to be. Yeah, they made the decision to put the musical at the end there, which honestly, I was slightly conflicted about because like a fan, I'm like, "The people, they want to see something, they want to know what's coming next. Is this going to disappoint?" In all fairness again, to the team, it's like, no, no, no, it's Christmas, it's light. We've got so much blood in this episode, it's just fun. It's a fun release at the end, and it's a nice way to send people off. That's how that came about and in terms of what it was, that was part of... Obviously, when we shot it for Episode 1, we shot the entire thing, but obviously in Episode 1, the focus was Jeremy and less of the performance. It was [an] evolution of that.
One of the fun shots in this episode is early on when Kate and Clint are crafting the new trick arrows. Were ever any variations of the trick arrow labels that we didn't get to see? Because I was surprised we didn't get a call back to the boomerang at all, and I was wondering if there were any other versions of trick arrows that were attempted [or] that might have been alluded to.
THOMAS:
Oh yeah, no, fully. We did toy with the boomerang. We tried to figure out how the hell it would work and our props guys did craft a kind of amusing-looking arrow that had a bunch of boomerangs. It was there, but again, it's always finding that line of the callbacks versus building momentum. I think that's why that dropped out of there. Again, part of it was we just couldn't figure out a good way to use it and deploy it in the end so we just teased it later on. There was one label that I... There were a lot of labels that we played around with and one that I childishly tried slipping in, we just smartly cut around. I had one that was labeled the brown note, for any South Park fans, but editorial thought better to rub it.

I know you had mentioned this a little bit before, with the mid-credit scene, [in terms of] putting something in for the fans. The fans are definitely starting to clamor a little for a Season 2. Do you know if there have been any conversations around that and if so, would you want to come back and direct more episodes?
THOMAS:
I cannot speak to future plans in the tradition of secrecy. Again, the show coming out, you never know how it's going to be received and it has been amazing to see how warmly people have taken it and enjoyed it. And it's been great to see Hailee's character embraced and sort of land so firmly in the MCU. I sincerely look forward to where that character goes next. And yes, I loved walking on the streets of the MCU and would gladly enjoy doing it again.

I feel like I can only speak for myself, personally, but I would just love a Hawkeye [spinoff] with the new Hawkeye and the new Black Widow, with Hailee and Florence. That's my pitch to Marvel.
THOMAS:
Tell me about it. It's great. It writes itself. A Thelma and Louise theme.

Hawkeye’s Vincent D’Onofrio Explains MCU Kingpin’s Daredevil Connections
By Erik Swann  December 23, 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/hawkeyes-vincent-donofrio-explains-mcu-kingpins-daredevil-connections 

Wilson Fisk was last seen being escorted to prison at the end of the Netflix show’s series finale. When he shows up in Clint Barton’s show, he’s established as the head of the New York-based Tracksuit Mafia. Many fans have long debated whether Marvel Television’s Defenders-centric shows are actually MCU canon and, given Fisk’s new status, some may assume this is a “variant” of the antagonist. However, when I spoke with Vincent D’Onofrio, he provided a clear answer as to whether this is the exact antagonist from the original series:

"It’s the same character. Yeah, I mean, the way that we saw it on Hawkeye, or [what] I ended up believing, is that there are [as] many dots connected as we can possibly connect, and some are just impossible to connect. But I think… it's the same as a lot of the MCU stuff that's done, that [Marvel Studios head] Kevin [Feige] does, and all the incredible filmmakers, you know, they try to connect to the original stuff as much as they can. … But then there's dots that can't be connected. And I think we tried to do the same thing with connecting Daredevil to… or Hawkeye to Daredevil and Daredevil to Hawkeye. You know, it's like that."
"I mean, obviously, my character in Hawkeye is physically stronger and can take a lot more physical abuse. But my approach to him is exactly the same approach that I did on Daredevil. He is an emotional human being, he is a child and a monster simultaneously. The same things that are going on inside me when I'm playing the character, the events that I use, whether the joyful ones or sad ones or frustrating ones or angry ones, the events that I use from my life are the same ones that I used in Daredevil that I used to portray Fisk. So it's connected, for sure. In my mind, for sure."
The comic book behemoth is also a bit more power-hungry now within the world of Hawkeye, and as Vincent D’Onofrio explained, there’s actually a specific reason for this within his MCU arc:

"It was always established to me that it's after the Blip and that he has lost the power that he had in Daredevil, and he wants it back. … In Hawkeye, he considers that he's lost a bit of the control of his city, and he wants his city back."

‘Hawkeye’: How The Creative Team Recreated, and Destroyed, 30 Rock For the Series
BY RACHEL PAIGE   December 22, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-clint-barton-kate-bishop-30-rock 

Not only was the whole rink created, but two very important things were also built as well: a replica of the Christmas tree and its topper. In a daring escape, Clint actually ends up inside the tree before Kate topples it over, which means that yes, Jeremy Renner really did climb into a version of the fake tree.

‘Hawkeye’: Clint Barton and Kate Bishop’s Evolution as Partners
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-clint-barton-kate-bishop-partners 

“It's not like we go into each episode, ‘OK, [now it’s time for] lesson number three.’ It's just happening because that's their adventure together,” director Rhys Thomas explains to Marvel.com. “It’s a character-driven story. It’s been fun just to let the story expand from within these two characters and the things that happen to them. I don't think we were conscious [about them teaching one another] because there's something very natural about both characters [doing it].”
As the season goes on, Tran notes, “Clint learns from her and Kate learns from him. Sometimes it's so subtle that they don't realize it because they're bonding. They're starting to work with each other.” A big turning point for the duo comes mid-season when they’ve both been captured by the Tracksuit Mafia and, “there is no choice, they have to work together in order to get out of the situation.”
“Their personalities are their super power at its core,” Thomas adds. “For both of them, it’s just who they are innately. You have these two strong characters that are going to find a way no matter what. Whether it's reluctantly on Clint's part, or with enthusiasm on Kate's part.”

‘Hawkeye’: How Kate and Eleanor Bishop Go Up Against Kingpin — and Win
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-kate-bishop-kingpin 

With a flick of her wrist and a nicely placed “Too Dangerous” arrow, Kate is able to knock Kingpin out, even though he hasn’t been defeated yet (but that’s a story for another day). Returning back outside to her mother, Eleanor tries to make amends with her daughter and says that everything will go back to normal, but Kate now knows the truth.

Marksman Challenge | Marvel Studios' Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment  Dec 23, 2021

Kate Bishop-Inspired Yule Log | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Dec 24, 2021

ETA: Apparently Vincent D'Onofrio did a lot of media interviews...

‘Hawkeye’ Star Vincent D’Onofrio on Kingpin’s Return and Two-Hour Calls with Charlie Cox
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   December 23, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/hawkeye-vincent-donofrio-charlie-cox-kingpin-1235067200/ 

Last week, you and Charlie Cox debuted in the MCU proper on back-to-back days, which is quite poetic. Have the two of you exchanged any messages about this yet?
Yeah, well, Charlie and I are friends, but we don’t really talk about Marvel stuff together because we know about all of the complications with reveals and stuff like that and what we’re contracted to say and not say. But as soon as Kevin revealed the fact that Charlie was going to participate, Charlie called me immediately and we had a huge conversation about it, which didn’t include anything about Hawkeye. But when they showed the phone shot of Kingpin in [last week’s] episode of Hawkeye, I immediately called Charlie and we had another two-hour conversation. (Laughs.) So we are friends and we do talk about this stuff, but we do it very carefully and in an appropriate way.

So the common question is whether you’re playing a new Fisk or the same Fisk, but in my mind, you can put the character on a new trajectory without erasing what the fans love about the past. You can vaguely reference that past whenever it’s necessary. So how did you play him in this regard?
Well, that’s a very intelligent thing you just said because it’s spot-on. That’s the way we approached it — or the way I definitely approached it. Story-wise, the blip has happened. Kingpin has lost his city a bit, not completely, but he’s lost some of his kingdom. And in Hawkeye, the idea was that he wants his city back. He considers it his. So as the actor playing the character, I approached it exactly the same way I developed the character that I portrayed on Daredevil. He has the same emotional life. Everything that he does, everything that he says, every confrontation that he has, every emotion that he shows, comes through the events and the pain of his childhood. So that’s still Fisk, to me. He’s a bit physically stronger than he was. He has more strength and he can take a lot more physical abuse. But in Hawkeye, the thing that will continue to ground him is that he’s based in an emotional foundation. That’s what I think is the key to my portrayal of Fisk. You can do anything you want with him, but his inner self is that of a child and a monster.

Vincent D'Onofrio on Returning as Kingpin for 'Hawkeye' and His Character's Fate
BY CARLY LANE    December 23, 2021
https://collider.com/hawkeye-is-kingpin-dead-vincent-donofrio-interview/

Collider: Returning as Kingpin, did you consider it a different iteration of the character with a different backstory or do you look at it as a continuation of the Wilson Fisk that we already know?
VINCENT D'ONOFRIO:
I think it's definitely a continuation, like there's no difference to me. There's the physical strength that's different. The fact that he can take more violent abuse, physical abuse is different, but it's very clear with the writers and the producers and the directors that I'm continuing the same man that was in the series a few years ago, in Daredevil. His emotional life, he operates through the pain of his childhood. That's how he operates and he still does. And it doesn't matter whether he is enjoying himself or if he's having a tough time in life, whatever's going on in any scene. It's always coming through events that happened when he was a kid. And so that's the same character to me.

And I definitely knew that this was after the Blip and that he's had less power than he did and he wanted his city back for Hawkeye. And that's the way I approached it. I think in my mind — I don't know how they think about it at Marvel overall, but in my mind, I think that they connect as many dots as they can in the canon stuff and with the canon state of mind, and some dots aren't possible to connect but most are easy to connect. And I think that's what they try and do.

I definitely have to ask you about that ending scene in the finale with Maya, that final confrontation, because it leaves a little bit up in the air in terms of the fate of your character. When you were approached to reprise the role, was it indicated to you that Hawkeye was only the beginning of Kingpin being back in the MCU?
D'ONOFRIO:
I can comment personally. I can't comment about any fact because they just don't tell me. So, it made me hope that it would continue and it still makes me feel that way. I mean in my mind, she definitely shot him. And, I walked away from Daredevil, at first I thought, "Maybe he'll come back somehow." And then very quickly after that, I thought I was walking away for good. So I had always hoped because of the fans wanting him back and everybody, I'd hope that I would come back. So I feel the same way now.

Vincent D'Onofrio answers whether Hawkeye and Daredevil share the same Kingpin
By Chancellor Agard   December 23, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/hawkeye-finale-kingpin-vincent-donofrio-interview/ 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did your return as Kingpin come together? When did you get the call they wanted you back?
VINCENT D'ONOFRIO:
I think it was earlier this year at this point. I heard that Kevin had asked for my number, my representatives told me that, and he called me. I had no idea what he was going to say. He asked me to come and do Hawkeye, which, as you can imagine, was extremely exciting.

Fans on Twitter constantly tell you how much they want you back as Kingpin. Were you surprised when the call came through, or were you always holding out hope that you'd been able to reprise the role?
I was surprised. I had held out hope that Daredevil would somehow survive even after we stopped, but that ended quickly. But I always kept supporting the fans and their excitement about Daredevil, and also their excitement about my character. But you know, I never really thought it was going to happen, so it was obviously a pleasant surprise that Hawkeye was one of the things that Kevin wanted me to do. It's amazing.

After so many years away, did you have any trouble finding the character again?
It's a tough character to play in that it's based on a lot of his pain from his childhood. Once I reconnected to the way I played him [on Daredevil], what the events in his life were, and attached myself to the emotional aspects of the character, then it was fine, I was good to go. I know that we were picking up with the same guy. It's tough to connect all the dots, but they connected as many as they could and that he had lost a bit of his power because of the Blip. But the idea [was] to bring him into Hawkeye, to have him be that same character that he was in the earlier show, and play him like that.
You mentioned earlier that this is "one of the things" Feige wanted you to do. This episode ends with Maya shooting Fisk, but we don't actually see his body. Should fans be glad we they didn't see a body because it means the door is open for you to come back?
I can only hope that they stay open. That would be great. That's what I want, and I think that's what the fans want too. For me to say whether that's going to happen or not, it's impossible to know for sure.

Vincent D'Onofrio Addresses That Hawkeye Cliffhanger, Potential Daredevil Reunion With Charlie Cox
By Keisha Hatchett / December 23 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/23/hawkeye-vincent-donofrio-kingpin-episode-6-finale-daredevil/ 

“I think the Blip has happened, and I think his kingdom took a bit of a hit and he’s trying to get his city back,” Vincent D’Onofrio, who plays the fan-favorite villain, tells TVLine.

The actor also confirms that this version of Fisk is the same we saw in Daredevil. “That’s how I played him, and I think that was the general idea,” D’Onofrio explains. But while he’s the same guy, there were some notable differences. For starters, the Disney+ series established him as Maya’s “uncle” and leader of the Tracksuit Mafia. Plus, his ability to rip the door off a car when confronting Eleanor Bishop painted him as a much stronger man than we saw in Daredevil.

“Obviously, in the show he’s physically stronger and can take more physical abuse. But emotionally, and as far as the history that was discussed, it was done with an eye on connecting as many dots from Daredevil to Hawkeye as possible,” D’Onofrio says. “There are obviously things that we can’t connect — for instance, he’s stronger — but as far as how I played him and the history that I carry myself from and into Hawkeye, he is the same guy.”
What’s also unclear is whether he got through to her. Maya definitely fired her gun, but we didn’t see where she aimed. In the comics, that confrontation ended with the lethal assassin blinding Fisk rather than killing him. With Fisk’s fate unclear, D’Onofrio hopes he can continue playing the character.

“There are many facets to the character that could be explored, so I only can hope that we continue,” he says. “It’s not the first time I’ve had to walk away from this character, but we’ll see.”

With Charlie Cox confirmed to be reprising his role as Matt Murdock aka Daredevil in the MCU, D’Onofrio isn’t opposed to a Daredevil reunion, should Fisk still be alive.

“I would love for that,” he says. “It hasn’t crossed my mind a lot; I’ve kind of walked away from Daredevil. For a bit, I thought it might come back, but it’s been years now. I gave up on that [possibility]. But I didn’t know that I was going to get a call from [Marvel Studios chief] Kevin [Feige], either, so everything’s up for grabs. I had no idea that I would do Hawkeye.”

'Hawkeye’: Vincent D’Onofrio on Kingpin’s Return & What Happened in the Finale
Meaghan Darwish  December 23, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/1026857/hawkeye-finale-vincent-donofrio-kingpin-dead-alive-daredevil/ 

“He can take more physical abuse, but I think that he’s emotionally the same person,” D’Onofrio continued to share with TV Insider. “I’m approaching him in the same exact way that I did in Daredevil,” he adds. “And it was clear with the writers and the producers and directors that this was the same person. So that was a thrill for me, because I loved the way that I’m able to portray him and how I invented him and what makes him tick and all that stuff. That’s one of the most exciting aspects of playing it again.”
Considering the man managed to survive an arrow shot to the chest, being hit by a car, and explosive trick arrows, it’s hard to believe that Kingpin would be taken down by a few bullets. “I don’t know what’s going to happen,” D’Onofrio admits. “I only hope that I’m going to continue to play Fisk, because I really like playing Fisk. I had hopes after Daredevil and [while] that never really happened, I continued to support the fans and I still do.”

Geek Exclusive: Vincent D’onofrio Says Disney+ Hawkeye’s Kingpin Is The Same Villain From Netflix’s Daredevil, Wants A Showdown With Spider-Man
 A'bidah Zaid   December 24, 2021
https://geekculture.co/geek-exclusive-vincent-donofrio-hawkeye-kingpin/ 

“He obviously has more physical strength and can take a lot more physical abuse but from story point of view, it was discussed that this is after The Blip, that he is the same guy that was in Daredevil, but he’s lost some of his power,” explained D’onofrio in an exclusive interview with Geek Culture. 

“My arc in Hawkeye is that I want my power back, so from an actor’s point of view, it’s portraying him exactly, with the same kind of emotional feel and foundation that I did in Daredevil.” 
“I think because of the history of the comic books when I was a kid – Punisher, Daredevil and Spider-Man. My hope is that someday, I get to face all of them as the character of Kingpin. I think that would be nice.” 

Although the season finale hints at the ending of Kingpin’s story once and for all, D’onofrio doesn’t know what’s in store for the future but is hoping that it’s not actually the end, and that he can continue to play the character till his heart’s content. 

“I don’t know. I can only hope that we do it,” smiled D’onofrio. “I think that would be great, and I think we just all have to keep our fingers crossed that it happens.” 

Vincent D’Onofrio On Laura Barton’s Rolex & Kingpin’s Fate In ‘Hawkeye’ & MCU: “I Want To Keep Playing This Part”
By Anthony D'Alessandro   December 23, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/12/hawkeye-vincent-donofrio-kingpin-death-echo-1234901098/ 

“I hope he didn’t die,” D’Onofrio tells Deadline about Kingpin’s fate. “I’m with the fans, I want to keep playing this part. My hope is that we continue.”

“I wasn’t expecting it,” he added about receiving the call from Marvel boss Kevin Feige earlier this year to reprise the violent Daredevil villain; one of the character’s most ruthless moments of that series came when he slammed a car door on the head and neck of former Russian mob leader Anatoly Ranskahov.

“I didn’t know that Daredevil was going to end when it did, I thought it was going to continue for a few more years,” D’Onofrio said. “There was a lot to explore there, there were many facets of my character to explore.”
When asked what Kingpin and the tracksuit mafia want with Laura Barton’s (Linda Cardellini) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rolex watch, D’Onofrio admits he’s with the viewers gripping on that cliffhanger. Clint recovered the timepiece, which had a very special significance to Laura; the watch first appearing in a black auction at the start of the series with other items recovered from Avengers HQ. The Rolex has a tracking device and the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on the back with the number 19.

“I’m trying to figure it out like everyone else,” says the actor about the watch’s significance. “I’m in the same boat: I really need more information.”

HAWKEYE FINALE: VINCENT D'ONOFRIO ON KINGPIN'S APPEARANCE AND STATUS IN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE
by Erik Amaya | December 23, 2021 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/hawkeye-finale-vincent-donofrio-on-kingpins-appearance-and-status-in-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

How long ago did you know this was in the cards? It was reported earlier today that Charlie Cox knew for years that he was going to be in Spider-Man: No Way Home.
D’Onofrio:
Yeah. I didn’t know for years. I think I knew … I think it’s almost a year. It was early this year, I knew.

And even though Fisk and Daredevil did fight at one point on the Netflix series, this still feels like the most physical Kingpin has been so far. And after spending so much time in art galleries and worrying about Vanessa, was it a pleasure to be this out-and-out villainous, strong Kingpin?
D’Onofrio:
I think that he is definitely physically stronger [in Hawkeye] and he takes more physical abuse. And I think that’s exciting because that’s more like the canon of the comics. But I also think that he’s the same guy that was in Daredevil and that his emotional life is the same. Because the way that I executed the character is the same way I executed it in Daredevil, which is that everything is based on his childhood. And so, that’s where all of his stuff comes from when you see him in scenes.

And I know that story-wise, that the Blip has happened, that he’s lost a bit of his power and that in Hawkeye, he aims to get it back. He aims to make that city his again, because he thinks the city belongs to him. So that’s how I feel about it. And I also think that what I just said is key to playing this; I think he needs to have that emotional life, so he’s grounded at the same time. He can have this huge strength, but he’s still fascinating as a character because he’s more complex.
And also from your point of view, or at least considering how you perceive Fisk here on Hawkeye, did you presume that the events of Daredevil took place?
D’Onofrio:
Oh, sure. I don’t know how much it’s going to matter. But I do know that in my mind, and in the mind of the people I was working with on Hawkeye, that they connected as many dots as possible, for my sake. And some were impossible.
As someone who now has an investment in seeing Kingpin continue, do you think we’ll see him again soon or did Maya’s (Alaqua Cox) single shot lay him up for the foreseeable future?
D’Onofrio:
I think I can only approach it as somebody with the investment to see Kingpin continue. That’s my hope that he will. You know? And in my mind, from when I was a kid, Kingpin existed in Punisher, Spider-Man, and Daredevil. And so, that’s where he lives for me.

Vincent D'Onofrio On Kingpin's Future After Hawkeye And If Daredevil Is Still Canon
BY RAUL VELASQUEZ   December 23, 2021
https://gamerant.com/vincent-donofrio-kingpin-future-hawkeye-daredevil-canon/ 

Naturally, one of the big topics on the table is defining whether Daredevil is canon to the MCU, with the actor saying, “They’re trying their best to keep Daredevil as part of the canon… [however] It’s not always going to be 100%. There’s a lot of connecting the dots which Marvel is really good at.” However, he did confess he plays Wilson Fisk exactly as he did 4 years ago. Speaking of Kingpin's fate in Hawkeye, D'Onofrio pointed at Marvel Comics as the source for a moment he sees as very emotional to define his character’s relationship with his niece, Maya Lopez.
In fact, D'Onofrio went the extra mile to address one particular fan theory that’s been floating around claiming Kingpin survives his encounter with Echo, saying he “read that in the research I originally did for Daredevil. I think I read most of every run Kingpin was in." D'Onofrio added that he finds the pair’s father-daughter dynamic very cool. Despite neither confirming nor denying his character’s death, he did say he hadn’t considered the implications of playing a blind Kingpin, who - in the comics - loses his sight after narrowly escaping his death when he’s shot by Maya.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
On 12/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, SnarkShark said:

I'm curious about the scene this photo was from.

Polish_20211224_135657395.jpg

Did I miss it or was it cut?

They're wearing the same coats as in the subway shot in ep 6 where they discuss making more trick arrows. Maybe they went to buy normal arrows for the arrow shafts and then the people in charge decided to cut it.

• Love 2

I can't be the only one who's interested in how the Rockefeller Center scenes were shot!

‘Hawkeye’: How The Creative Team Recreated, and Destroyed, 30 Rock For the Series

Though the melee starts inside at the party, the chaos quickly spills out onto the street, and the nearby skating rink, leaving the two archers to try and fight off the Tracksuit Mafia on ice. Part of the episode was actually filmed on location over the Christmas holiday 2020, however, considering the events of the episode, not all of it could be filmed there. That meant that the rink was actually recreated on a soundstage in Atlanta.

[EP RHYS]Thomas, who actually worked out of 30 Rock for almost two decades, found it to be “sort of uncanny valley” considering he knew the location so well prior to Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye.

“Walking onto the backlot [in Atlanta], which was essentially just a bunch of shipping containers on a parking lot just in the middle of nowhere and seeing this thing emerge. It was crazy. The level of detail on the street is down to the weathering on the granite and the fake granite walls.”

Originally, the production team was just going to recreate one corner of the ice-skating rink to shoot on in Atlanta. But that was quickly scrapped for the whole thing.

“Initially I remember there was this idea where maybe we just need a portion of the ice rink…then you start looking at the sequence and it's like no, we needed the whole thing,” Thomas recalls. “We built the ice rink and the whole bottom level of Rockefeller Center. It was one of the most thrilling things; I've never walked onto a set like that.”

Much more info in the linked article.

• Love 3

Deleted post-credits scene (according to TVLine, Elaina Scott is a senior animator at Digital Domain, one of Marvel’s VFX houses)...

‘Hawkeye’: Laura Barton’s Reveal and Keeping Christmas Alive at the Farm House
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-laura-barton-agent-19-christmas 

Throughout Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye, Clint has been trying to get a lost watch back. During the black-market auction that kicks off the events of the series, the watch, found at the Avengers Compound, is lost in the chaos and Clint spends the rest of the season trying to track it down. It later ends up with Maya Lopez, before finally being recovered. However, the watch isn’t actually Clint’s; but Laura’s. Handing it back to her, he jokes that she’s got to take better care of her stuff before she flips it over to reveal, on the backside, a S.H.I.E.L.D. insignia and AGENT 19 inscription underneath it.

“That's what's exciting about the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” Rhys Thomas, the finale episode’s director tells Marvel.com. “It's Marvel, and the comics are so deep. It's a universe. What I love is that these ideas could get introduced as we were sort of prepping the show.”
“We've seen her over these years as his wife, and there was obviously a desire [to expand her backstory],” Thomas continues. “We should know more about her. There's more to her than just staying at home with the kids. It was a fun little thing to tease out over the season and again a nice little payoff that hopefully promises more of a character planted at the end.”

Performer of the Week: Tracy Morgan
By Team TVLine / December 25 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/25/tracy-morgan-performance-the-last-og-season-4-finale-tray/ 

HONORABLE MENTION | Not to put too fine a point on it, but Hawkeye‘s Clint lives or dies in the finale based on how sincere Yelena perceives his penance to be. Luckily for Clint, Jeremy Renner mined a decade’s worth of big-screen bonding between Clint and Natasha as he labored to convince Yelena that her late sister would not be denied the chance to sacrifice herself to save the world. “Nothing was gonna stop her,” a bruised Clint recalled. “She made her choice; we’re gonna have to find a way to live with that.” As Renner said that last bit, the sadness in his eyes said volumes; even more so as Yelena spoke of her love for Natasha, and Clint quietly replied, “Me, too.” Add on a sweet, earlier scene between Clint and Kate (as the latter shared how the Avengers’ archer inspired her), and all told, Renner really hit the emotional bull’s-eye.

Is Dynasty Readying a Big Return? Was Stanford's Exit Berger-Like? Hawkeye Reunion Green Screen? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Ryan Schwartz and Mekeisha Madden Toby / December 24 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/24/dynasty-season-5-steven-returning-tv-questions-answers/

10 | Were you surprised that Hawkeye‘s Clint and Kate allowed (if not invited) the LARPers to put themselves in harm’s way? At the end of the day, was Eleanor’s most villainous act holding the company holiday party on Christmas Eve? Did everyone have a bit too sure of footing during the ice rink skirmish? And shall we chalk up Linda Cardellini’s Dead to Me Season 3 commitments to the apparent use of green screen for Laura’s reunion with Clint?

True Story Knocks Wheel of Time From Top of Nielsen Top 10 Chart, Hawkeye Debuts at No. 2, Cowboy Bebop Rises
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 27 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/27/nielsen-streaming-rankings-true-story-hawkeye-wheel-of-time/

The first two episodes of Disney +’s Hawkeye followed with 852 million minutes viewed, while last week’s champ, Prime Video’s The Wheel of Time adaptation, slipped to third with 663 million minutes viewed across four episodes.

Per Nielsen, Hawkeye‘s audience, akin to previous MCU series, skewed significantly male, with about 40 percent landed in the 35-54 age group.

Finale | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Dec 26, 2021

Hawkeye vs. Falcon/Winter Soldier vs. Loki vs. WandaVision: What Is Disney+'s Best MCU Series So Far? Rank 'Em!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 24 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/24/best-marvel-tv-series-hawkeye-wandavision-loki-falcon-winter-soldier/

Refresh your memories of each, vote in the poll down below for your favorite, and then hit the Comments to detail your personal ranking of those you have seen (including the animated What If…? series if you so desire.)

Edited by tv echo

Vincent D'Onofrio talks Kingpin return in Marvel's 'Hawkeye': 'I hope he's not dead'
Mark Daniell     Dec 24, 2021  
https://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/vincent-donofrio-talks-kingpin-return 

It’s not a different version of the crime lord who ruled New York City in Daredevil , D’Onofrio says.

“I was able to bring that exact character into Hawkeye . Although in Hawkeye he’s physically stronger, he is that same character and it is the same canon,” D’Onofrio says. “The idea was to connect as many dots between Daredevil and Hawkeye as we could.”

Spoiler tags below are to hide a No Way Home spoiler:
‘Hawkeye’ Director Rhys Thomas Talks Season Finale, Kingpin and Managing MCU Continuity
By Mónica Marie Zorrilla    December 24, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/hawkeye-ending-explained-kingpin-1235143246/ 

Spoiler

Did you know from the start that you were going to bring Kingpin from Netflix’s “Daredevil” into the show, and just a week later Daredevil himself popped up in “Spider-Man: No Way Home”?
[RHYS THOMAS:]
The Kingpin of it all was not on the cusp when I started the show, but I feel like his presence was never far. Like, we were always circling this other “big bad guy,” but there was a moment when a Marvel executive came over and said, “You know, this is what we’re gonna do about that.” As far as a larger plan and a crossover with “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” I did not know that they would do that. They do a wonderful job at Marvel of keeping everybody quite siloed, and I think they do this for your own security. People seem to sort of assume that there is this room where everything is all mapped out, but, no, they keep you kind of focused on your own show and only give you the information that they feel they need to give.

What are some of the challenges as a Marvel show director that come with keeping MCU continuity in mind? You’ve got characters like Echo and Kate Bishop, who are going to be in future projects, and Yelena, who was introduced in “Black Widow,” and on top of all of that, there’s the multiverse to consider
The wonderful team at Marvel helps keep you honest on that front. I learned early on that the best thing I could do about that was not to worry too much about it and just try to keep doing what I could with Kate, Clint, Yelena and all of those characters to do them justice on their own show and to treat it as such. These events are only happening for them at this moment at Christmas time. Luckily, I could keep that in focus, and when the legacy stuff or the multiverse stuff needed to come in you always had someone at Marvel to help out or to at least keep an eye on it. It’s been a weird feeling stepping into the MCU as someone that had been watching like every other fan. So, as a director, when you step onto a set and you’ve got Jeremy Renner dressed in a Hawkeye costume that you’ve been helping design, and you’re introducing new characters like Echo and Kate Bishop and Jack Duquesne, and you also have to fit this in all around the holidays, it makes it all so surreal. And I realized that, yes, we were filming at the Rockefeller Center, but it was the Rockefeller Center in the MCU. I think Kevin Feige says it best that “The MCU is like the world just outside your window.” As I was directing, I realized that you’re supposed to treat it as slightly different parallel realities from the one you are in right now, and you have to go along with it and follow its rules.

What were some tells that you slipped in throughout the series that Eleanor Bishop would turn out to be a villain?
It’s always a difficult job when you’re trying to bury the lead and when you don’t want audiences to get ahead of you because that will spoil things, but you also don’t want it to be like a soap opera where the bad guy just kind of steps out from the shadows and there was nothing to suggest it. Part of what we tried to do was, rather than seeking any clues necessarily, we really thought about defining her character in a way that it wasn’t a total surprise — from the ways that she spoke to Kate, to the argument that she has with Armand Duquesne in the first episode, which Kate misunderstands because her presumption is that her mother couldn’t possibly do anything wrong. That’s what Kate takes and runs with and obviously that leads her to suspect Jack Duquesne, which again is because she is clouded by her own prejudice towards him and because of his romantic involvement with her mother. So, it was obviously always sort of there. We also wanted to make people understand that, ultimately, Eleanor is a mother that has raised Kate by herself and that her actions come from this place of protection and care for her daughter, and that’s what we wanted to convey more. Her actions are slightly misguided. In the finale, Kate has come full circle and realizes her own blindness and Eleanor’s sort of righteousness. And it comes from this more emotional place of, “I’m your mother, and this is what I have to do, and you need to understand that, even if I go about it incorrectly.”

We have two prominent characters with either total deafness or partial hearing impairment — why was it important to show how one of the Avengers ends up having an injury that leaves him with a chronic condition? How did you make sure that came across appropriately on screen?
Part of the thing that makes Clint Barton so singular and so charming and appealing is that he is a human. He does not have superpowers — he can’t just bounce off of a car and get back up easily. When he smashes through that window in the first Avengers movie, he ends up suffering a lot of pain. We talked about this from early on that we needed to keep reality alive, and that means showing that humans do get hurt and beaten and broken. All of his crime fighting took its toll. In some of the comics, he does have the impairment, and it is also a nice way of connecting Echo/Maya, who is deaf in the comic books, to him. It is their unifier. It also gave Clint an in to communicate with her on a different level.
What was the collaboration process like in the writers room for “Rogers the Musical,” writing the songs and deciding how you were going to stage it?
The process of developing the musical sort of started right after we started principal photography. I mean, there was a piece in the script already where we knew we were going to be putting the musical in, but in terms of how it was going to be or what was going to happen or what the music was going to sound like, that all was finalized once we were in the production process. I managed to recruit Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman to help create the song and the lyrics, and it all started quite casually between the three of us and some very amusing text exchanges. It was kept quite small for a little while, and it was kind of like a fun background project that was happening while I was shooting the rest of the show. So the musical was sort of slowly layered up and we shot it late in principal photography — it was a day of levity for the crew. We’d all been shooting that Rockefeller Center sequence and all of this kind of action stuff at nighttime, and then we arrived in the theater to do something fun at like 11 p.m. that same day.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Someone tweeted the Hawkeye gag reel (that is now available to stream at Disney+)...

Hawkeye: From ‘super deep cut’ Kate Bishop Easter Egg to Kevin Feige’s involvement in Rogers The Musical, 5 things we learnt from director Rhys Thomas
Sabrina Barr    December 29, 2021
https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/29/hawkeye-5-things-we-learnt-from-director-rhys-thomas-after-finale-15838281/ 

After the finale aired, Metro.co.uk caught up with Rhys Thomas, who directed the first, second and sixth episodes of Hawkeye and was also an executive producer on the show.
Describing the Easter Egg as ‘super deep cut’, Rhys said: ‘I don’t even know if you can see it because of the way the scene’s edited.’

He explained that at the end of episode two and the beginning of episode three when Kate and Clint are being kept captive by the Tracksuit Mafia in the warehouse, viewers should pay attention to a flickering light in the background.

‘This is a super deep cut, but I’m going to say it because it amused me. There’s a sort of display and the light is flickering. Our board operator, he’s worked on other Marvel projects, I think including Guardians of the Galaxy, he’s a huge Marvel fan,’ Rhys stated.

‘In the flickering lights he frequently programmes Morse code, and so that light is actually flickering the date of the first Kate Bishop issue of Hawkeye.’
Praising the fans as ‘amazing’ for the way they ‘dig out’ the tiniest of details, Rhys also opened up about an Easter Egg he wanted to include in the show that had to be cut.

‘An Easter Egg that I wanted to put in, that we did work on for a little bit but then time got away from us – I was going to put in the episode of Winter Friends, which is a little mini moment within the Matt Fraction comic book run,’ he said.

‘There’s this show that Clint watches with the kids, and we started down the line of making that episode and I worked with Matt Fraction a little bit on figuring it out. The idea of it was it would just be Lucky – Pizza Dog – would be watching TV, and it would just be a moment of him watching this that the audience get to see.’
Rhys said that while they only had time in the Hawkeye schedule to ‘go for that one song’, it was ‘something that I know Kevin really enjoyed’, as ‘from the moment we started talking about it, he was just excited about the absurdity of doing it’.

The director initially ‘threw it out as a silly idea’, because he’d seen a mention of a Rogers musical appearing on a billboard in a script, although it was never explored further.

However, when he put it forward in a meeting, he brought up the idea ‘with a bit of a wince’, thinking that it was ‘stupid’ and the others wouldn’t want to proceed. To his surprise, Kevin ‘seized on it right away’.
‘I then immediately tried backtracking on it because I suddenly realised, “Oh wait, hang on, I’ve just said I’m going to make a Steve Rogers musical,” and in the MCU, what the hell does that mean? How do we do it? What is it? It immediately terrified me,’ the executive producer recalled.

‘But in all fairness, Kevin held tight, and was like, “No, we’re doing it,” with Rhys being told by the boss: ‘It was your idea, you can’t back out on this.’
‘The Kazi and Clint fight in the office, there was going to be a much longer sequence where Clint was going to take down all of the TSM [Tracksuit Mafia] in a sort of almost Ronin-like way, that you’d sort of see this stealthy side, and it was going to be a much longer sequence, that we ended up just truncating and Yelena was going to come up in the office as well,’ he explained.
‘That was just a moving target of both script and logistics and stunt coordination and visual effects, all of this planning. It was a lot, for sure.’
Nonetheless, Rhys was interested in a cameo from another Avenger, considering the ‘fun, amusing’ relationship Jeremy has with Ant-Man star Paul Rudd.

Admitting that he considered the possibility of seeing Ant-Man and Clint ‘interact’, he said that ‘ultimately, we had a lot of characters in the show’ and so it was determined that ‘we’re going to keep it focused to him’.

Edited by tv echo

'ROGERS: THE MUSICAL' COMPOSER REVEALS A DELETED 'HAWKEYE' SCENE
DAIS JOHNSTON      January 1, 2022
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/rogers-the-musical-composer-ant-man-hawkeye 

INVERSE: My first question is also my most nitpicky question. The big line in “Save the City” is “I can do this all day,” but how would the in-universe writers of Rogers: The Musical know about what was said if nobody was around?
MARC SHAIMAN:
We talked about that with [Hawkeye showrunner] Rhys Thomas. We just figured in the universe, people writing a musical or writing a book or writing a magazine article would've done their due diligence and homework and interviewed people who had been there. Perhaps, even in things that we've never seen, members of the Avengers had actually given interviews about this or that.

There was a certain amount of liberty about that. Maybe Natasha in some interview on CNN might have said, “Oh, you know this guy, he's always like, ‘I could do this all day.’” It could have come up somehow. The same thing applies to including lyrics about getting some shawarma when we're done. I wrote these things and no one objected to them! But we did talk about that. And we just figured that they don't say these things in a total vacuum.

And you know how Marvel people are, you would’ve thought they would say “No, no, this isn’t possible.” But from Kevin Feige on down, they were like “This is good.”
So much of the Hawkeye cast can sing: Hailee Steinfeld was in Pitch Perfect 2, Fra Fee was in Les Misérables, Brian D’Arcy James is a Broadway legend. Would you be willing to help out with a full-on Once More With Feeling-style Marvel musical project?
Well, of course we would. I mean, it was really a one off. It was just there. It was an idea that almost came up as a joke one day and then they didn't let it go. It just kept coming up. But it was just to serve that one purpose of Hawkeye being in New York.

In the original script they sent us there was much more. There was a press agent who greeted him at the door and he was looking around saying, “Where's everybody else?” And she had to kind of tell him, “Well, you're the only one who actually has agreed to show up.” He felt funny also about that, that none of the other Avengers were there.

The hard part was writing a song that had to be something that Hawkeye or people who don't like musicals would roll their eyes at. It's been tough because we did our job well, and that means there are a lot of people who were like, what is this?

I understand that there are a lot of people who would've expected and wanted the post-credits scene to be some new kernel of what's gonna happen next in the MCU. I completely get it. But it has been tough to know that by doing our job well, we made something that not everyone likes. It’s been bittersweet almost, but to be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is crazy.
You’ve said before that the events of Rogers: The Musical begin with Steve’s backstory. What do you see the finale being? Does it end with Endgame?
We can only wonder! I would imagine the events of Endgame. The very moving ending and the romantic fact that he chose to grow old so that he could have his great love affair... it's beautiful. That would make a gorgeous musical.

Who decided to put Ant-Man in despite him not being present at the Battle of New York?
That came from Rhys and Marvel, as something to further aggravate Hawkeye as he watched the show, and also as a comment on how movies and articles and people always get something wrong.
“Save the City” was written amid health restrictions. Do you consider Rogers: the Musical a lockdown musical?
It did come from that, right as people were banging pots out the window at seven o'clock every night to thank the frontline workers. It was born of that. It was gonna exist one way or the other, because they'd written it into the script, but “Save the City” certainly took form because of that.
So WandaVision made MCU history for winning the Emmy for Outstanding Music and Lyrics with “Agatha All Along.” Do you think “Save the City” could be a contender next year?
I mean I hope so! “Agatha All Along” didn’t have that odd tightrope that we had of creating something that was intentionally something to be eye-rolled at by at least Hawkeye, you know? They got to just write a perfect one-minute-long thing. But I think we did a good job and I hope when things roll around, we might get a nomination, but you can't really think about that stuff.
What were the major influences for Rogers the Musical, aside from of course the aesthetic reference to Hamilton?
When we saw the set design, I did say to them, “Hey guys, I just wanna make sure you know we don't write in that style.” Clearly they would've gone to Lin Manuel first if they wanted him. So we wanted to make sure that we weren't going to write something and then have them be like, “Well, this isn't like Hamilton.”

It's just the bridge, it’s very similar. And the fact that the bridge is something that existed in Hamilton, it's just a theatrical device. In “Save the City” it's because it actually took place in and around that bridge, a literal bridge. We wrote more in that kind of just like a basic Broadway pop gospel rock-and-roll-ish sound. Once again, knowing that it might be something that might make Hawkeye roll his eyes, but also still was energetic. You can enjoy it nonetheless. Everyone who sang on it just had the best time.

I know that you've said before that maybe this could be a full musical, so my question is who plays Steve Rogers in Rogers the Musical?
I had asked them to contact Aaron Tveit, but it became apparent that they could only do local hires out of Atlanta. And the whole idea of casting it on stage with all Broadway people, it just didn't pass the COVID-ness of it all. But the folks who did portray it on stage were all fantastic. I think they probably had the best time of anyone. I mean, they got to rehearse that for weeks, and to just be in those costumes and doing it, they must have had so much fun.

Edited by tv echo

The Best Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Superhero & Horror TV Series of 2021
BY RENALDO MATADEEN   PUBLISHED 4 DAYS AGO
https://www.cbr.com/2021-best-sci-fi-fantasy-superhero-horror-tv-series/

7. Hawkeye
While fans expected Disney+'s Hawkeye to be more action-driven, it was much warmer, coming off as a feel good, family-driven Christmas story. Still, it was a procedural, moving from mysteries to badass fights to sprawling car chases. Throw in Kate Bishop and Yelena Belova's comedic dynamic, it really balanced so many tones well that sometimes even the movies fail to nail. To top it off, Clint Barton healed himself and delivered much needed closure regarding Black Widow's death. Add in Kingpin, as well as Mockingbird as Clint's wife, Hawkeye serviced fans from the movies, comics and Marvel TV in a big way.

• Love 1

Vincent D'Onofrio Addresses Marvel Fan Criticisms of Kingpin's "Enhanced" Strength in Hawkeye
By AARON PERINE - January 7, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-vincent-donofrio-addresses-marvel-fan-criticisms-strength/ 

"You know I learned recently, a couple of the fans, they were very excited about it, they were commenting about the strength that I have," D'Onofrio began. "Because I'm throwing Kate [Bishop] around and stuff. But, I totally forgot. I just saw a clip on Twitter of me and Charlie [Cox] fighting in [Stephen] DeKnight's first season. Obviously, he's an incredible director. He helped develop the character of Wilson Fisk."

"There's a scene that we shot on an alley, in a street in Brooklyn, where I'm literally throwing Daredevil (Charlie) through the air," he continued. "Like, I'm picking him up and swinging him 15 feet into a garbage can. I do it a few times in that fight. It's no different, it's really not. So, I keep saying that it's the same Fisk that was in DareDevil. It's the same canon, but people get confused about things. I understand."
"They don't exist [separately]. They're the same person," D'Onofrio explained. "I think from my point of view, like a lot of the Avengers stuff, a lot of the MCU stuff, they tried to connect as many dots to the original canon as they can, and some dots are just not possible to connect. And that's what we've done with connecting to Daredevil and vice versa."

Vincent D'Onofrio Reveals His Thoughts on What Happened to Kingpin Between Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame
By PATRICK CAVANAUGH - January 7, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-kingpin-vincent-donofrio-blip-reaction-explained-missing/ 

"I think he lost his power. I think that his empire fell because all this otherworldly stuff was going on," D'Onofrio shared with ComicBook.com when asked about how the Blip impacted his character. "Given the opportunity, he might have been able to even grow his empire during that stage, but he wasn't given that opportunity. So I think, as far as Hawkeye goes, he's on his way back, to grabbing back what is his. It's clear, I think, from the scene with Vera [Farmiga] and the scene with [Alaqua Cox's] Maya, all the scenes with Maya, that his mind is set on being the king so that's what he's gonna be."

Fans last saw Kingpin in Season 3 of Daredevil back in 2018, with his return for Hawkeye proving that not much had changed for the figure, as he still thirsted for power and was willing to go to any lengths to obtain it. D'Onofrio went on to note how this mimicked characters' fates in the comics, as no matter how long they disappear for, they always return to their old ways.

"You have to understand that anybody that plays any one of these types of characters in the MCU is gonna have an answer similar to that, because, in the comics, we never die," the actor pointed out. "Only a few of the Marvel characters have lost their power, whether it be monetary or magical or superhero powers, but most of them get them back. That's the general canon of the MCU, of the comics, of Marvel Comics, so you can't expect an answer less than that from somebody who plays one of the characters."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

All of the Trick Arrows in Marvel Studios' Hawkeye!
Marvel Entertainment   Jan 8, 2022

Florence Pugh (Yelena Belova, Hawkeye) was both Staff Choice and Readers Choice for SpoilerTV's Peformer of the Month for December 2021...

Performers of the Month - December 2021 | (Nominees and winners) | SPOILERTV
SpoilerTV    Jan 7, 2022

Also, Florence Pugh is now a nominee for SpoilerTV's 2021 Performer of the Year - you can vote for her here (voting open until 6:00pm ET on Monday, Jan. 10)...

2021 Performer of the Year - Voting
Posted by Aimee Hicks at January 08, 2022
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/01/2021-performer-of-year-voting.html

Daredevil's Vincent D'Onofrio Put on Weight for Kingpin Return in Hawkeye
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - January 7, 2022
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/vincent-donofrio-transformed-body-gained-weight-play-kingpin-return-marvel-hawkeye-exclusive/ 

"In a couple of shots, there were [camera perspective tricks]. But we tried a couple of different looks and the one we came down to was some extra shoulders, and extra chest, and extra girth around the middle," D'Onofrio said on the ComicBook Nation Podcast. "But I did [put on weight], I always go up about somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds when I play Fisk. Because he needs that round face…I have to put on additional weight to get some weight [in my face], to fill out my cheeks a little bit more, and then the rest [is costuming and effects]." 

"I can't put on that much weight anymore because of my age, it's too hard to take off and it's just not healthy anymore," said D'Onofrio, 62. "Back when I was young, I could go up and down fairly frequently."

On slimming back down from Fisk size, D'Onofrio said, "You have to be a on a healthy diet and that doesn't mean less food, it just means the right kind of food. I've always worked out my whole life, I never stopped working out. I only changed my size. So I never lose my stretching and I never lose my strength, I just change sizes."  

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Marvel Studios: Assembled – The Making of Hawkeye will now premiere on Feb. 9 on Disney+...

Disney+ Delays Hawkeye Assembled Special Episode
By TIMOTHY ADAMS - January 18, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/disney-plus-delays-hawkeye-assembled-special-episode/ 

The release of the Marvel Studios Assembled episode featuring Hawkeye has been delayed by Disney+. Originally scheduled to drop on January 19th, Disney+'s lineup of February 2022 content reveals Marvel Studios: Assembled – The Making of Hawkeye now premieres on Wednesday, February 9th. Following the week after on February 16th will be Marvel Studios: Assembled – The Making of Eternals. The Hawkeye Assembled episode features conversations with Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner as they discuss the genesis of Marvel's Black Widow movie and the Hawkeye Disney+ series. There will also be plenty of behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Hawkeye.

What’s Coming To Disney+ In February 2022 (US)
Jan 18, 2022
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-coming-to-disney-in-february-2022-us/

Wednesday 9th February 2022
Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye
ASSEMBLED is a comprehensive series of documentary-style specials streaming on Disney+ that chronicles the creation of Marvel Studios’ thrilling new shows and theatrical releases. Journey behind-the-scenes of the Hawkeye series with stars Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld in this immersive, and in-depth examination of the latest installment of storytelling in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hawkeye: Unused Costume Design Shows Florence Pugh's Yelena Wearing a Cape
By Richard Nebens    Feb 5, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-florence-pugh-yelena-costume-cape-design

Concept artist Josh Nizzi took to Instagram to share images of an unused costume idea for Florence Pugh's Yelena Belova in Marvel Studios' Hawkeye on Disney+. This look would have given Yelena a different set of black threads, which includes a large knife on her hip and a gun holster near her shoulder.
"Here is an unused look I did for Yelena in Hawkeye. I was combining New York wet winter and tactical wear.

273374664_972069497028420_53459194508502 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

You can now watch Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye on Disney+ (if you're a subscriber). It's about an hour long.

Includes a small segment on the "making of" Rogers: The Musical (behind-the-scenes rehearsals and interviews).

I liked it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Trailer for the Assembled special:
Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye | Official Trailer | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Feb 9, 2022

Get an inside look at how Clint Barton and Kate Bishop came to life in Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye, now streaming on Disney+.

11 Awesome Hawkeye Facts Revealed During Its Making-Of Documentary
By Germain Lussier    Feb 11, 2022
https://gizmodo.com/11-awesome-hawkeye-facts-revealed-during-its-making-of-1848510851 

It All Began on Avengers: Endgame
Producer Trinh Tran revealed that it was during the filming of Avengers: Endgame that she and other Marvel folks began talking about continuing Hawkeye’s story. And as they discussed all the possibilities, they soon realized this was more than a two-hour movie. This was a potential Disney+ series, and the rest is history.
Talkin’ Clint
Jeremy Renner believes that in the first two weeks of shooting the Hawkeye show, he had more dialogue than he’s had in every single Marvel Cinematic Universe film he’d appeared in up to that point, combined. He also found that the increase in dialogue allowed him to continue to find out more about the character.
Only Hailee
When Marvel realized they wanted to bring fan-favorite character Kate Bishop into the MCU, everyone had one name at the top of their list: Hailee Steinfeld. So she was brought in for a meeting, and without everyone else’s knowledge, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige offered her the role on the spot.
A New Beginning, Literally
As it stands now, Hawkeye begins with Clint and his kids in New York City for Rogers the Musical, with his wife Laura (Linda Cardellini) back home in Iowa. That was not how the show originally started. Originally, it started in Iowa with the whole family but the decision was made to cut that part. The documentary doesn’t say why, but probably to make Clint’s return at the end a bit more impactful.
One RSVP
According to the documentary, all of the living Avengers were invited to New York to see Rogers the Musical but only Clint showed up. Which is, honestly, a pretty great indicator of how he’s changing his personality.
From Widow to Boss
The Stunt Coordinator on Hawkeye was Heidi Moneymaker. She helped design all the fights and action and made sure they were safe, amped up the mock fighting in Rogers: The Musical, and more. That’s cool on its own, but it gets even cooler when you realize she got her start with Marvel as Black Widow’s stunt double going all the way back to her introduction in Iron Man 2. According to IMDB, she’s now the stunt coordinator on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
A Brand New Star
Before being cast as Maya Lopez, aka Echo, in Hawkeye, Alaqua Cox had never acted. She only went out for the role because not one, but three of her friends sent her a casting link saying she’d be perfect for it. Three months later, she was in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Another fun fact, because Cox primarily uses her hands to communicate, Maya’s fighting style was designed to use more elbows so she didn’t hurt her hands.

Hawkeye: The Ride
One of the coolest scenes in all of Hawkeye is the car chase in episode three. The scene was shot for real, with Clint and Kate’s car on a contraption described as a “driveable platform.” So the car is actually being driven at real speeds, only from above and behind. Jeremy Renner had a blast filming the scene and said if Disneyland were ever to make “Hawkeye: The Ride,” this would be it.

A Good Boy
Pizza Dog was always going to be in Hawkeye and the dog Marvel cast—a three-year-old Golden Retriever named Jolt—was perfect. Before filming, Hailee Steinfeld hung out with him a bunch to build up a rapport.
More Swordsman?
When Jack Duquesne (Tony Dalton) is introduced in Hawkeye, we expect that he’ll become the Swordsman, a crucial Hawkeye character from Marvel Comics. He doesn’t, but the powers that be put him in there both as a red herring and because having a great actor in that role could leave more opportunities to explore him later. If they want.
The Return of Kingpin
Probably the biggest surprise in Hawkeye is the return of Kingpin, played by Vincent D’Onofrio. The idea was Kevin Feige’s. The team was discussing which Marvel character could be scary enough to really impact everyone on the show—and when they thought about New York and organized crime, one name came in at the very top. Marvel’s team didn’t know if the actor would be game, but one call from Feige did the trick.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hawkeye Deleted Scene Shows More of Avengers Tower & Kate's Dad
By Richard Nebens    February 12, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-avengers-tower-kate-dad 

Marvel released a deleted scene from Hawkeye that showed another flashback moment for Hailee Steinfeld's Kate Bishop. This scene is entitled "Follow the Trail," and it was released in the "Extras" section of Hawkeye's page on Disney+

The scene starts off with a look at Stark Tower (in its pre-Avengers Tower state) right before taking damage during the Battle of New York.
Also included is a 2012 title card as the camera fades back into the window of Kate's house. The same title card popped up in the final cut of Hawkeye, which focused more on the action of the Avengers' battle against the chitauri.
Actress Clara Stack comes into frame as the younger Kate Bishop, laying out toys and clues for a game she's playing in her apartment.

This comes before her father, Derek, enters the scene by getting off the elevator and finding a piece of paper on the table in front of him, laughing as he realizes it's from Kate. The note reads "Daddy: Follow trail" before he goes around the room looking for her.
Derek walks into Kate's room looking for her before finding another note that reads “I had to go to the Himalayas.” His young daughter jumps onto his back as the two burst out into laughter, clearly having the time of their lives being together.
Derek points out a minor injury on Kate's jaw, which she says she got from a "huge scooter jump over a subway grate" as Derek gives her props.
As Kate takes in the fun of her dad's "business trip," her mom Eleanor comes in to ask about the "business" part of the trip, taking a more serious stance on the matter. Derek continues reminiscing on the fun of it by bringing it back to the zip-lining run he took, which he and Kate bond over in a big way.

hawkeye-opening-5.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hawkeye got 3 Critics Choice Super Awards nominations....

Nominations Announced for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards
February 22, 2022 
http://criticschoice.com/2022/02/nominations-announced-for-the-2nd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards/

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2022) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed on Thursday, March 17.
TELEVISION NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2ND ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE SUPER AWARDS
BEST SUPERHERO SERIES*
Doom Patrol
Hawkeye
Loki
Lucifer
Superman & Lois
WandaVision
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPERHERO SERIES*
Sophia Di Martino – Loki
Kathryn Hahn – WandaVision
Javicia Leslie – Batwoman
Gugu Mbatha-Raw – Loki
Elizabeth Olsen – WandaVision
Hailee Steinfeld – Hawkeye
BEST VILLAIN IN A SERIES
Vincent D’Onofrio – Hawkeye
Michael Emerson – Evil
Kathryn Hahn – WandaVision
Joshua Jackson – Dr. Death
Jonathan Majors – Loki
Samantha Sloyan – Midnight Mass

* Superhero categories also include Comic Book and Video Game Inspired Series

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Rise Visual Effects Studio, who worked on Hawkeye, released a new reel showcasing their visual effects work on that show...

RISE REEL - Hawkeye
RISE | Visual Effects Studios    Mar 22, 2022

• Useful 1

Marvel’s ‘Eternals,’ ‘Hawkeye’ Earn Recognition for Disability Representation (Exclusive)
BY REBECCA SUN    APRIL 14, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/eternals-hawkeye-ruderman-seal-1235130091/ 

Chloe Zhao’s Eternals and Disney+ series Hawkeye have each earned the Seal of Authentic Representation from the Ruderman Family Foundation, which advocates for the full inclusion of people with disabilities in society. The Seal recognizes movies and television shows that feature actors with disabilities in roles with at least five lines of dialogue.

Both Eternals‘ Makkari (Lauren Ridloff) and Hawkeye‘s Echo (Alaqua Cox) are superpowered individuals who also have disabilities.
Ridloff and Cox are both deaf, and the latter additionally is an amputee who uses a prosthetic leg.

“Not only was [Ridloff] overly qualified to join an already high-level cast, she elevated the ensemble with her unique spirit, talents and charisma. It’s been a privilege getting to know her through the process and seeing what a real-life hero she has become to so many,” said Sarah Finn, who drives casting for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Of Cox, she added: “Alaqua Cox’s character, Maya Lopez/Echo, is based off an existing Marvel character who is deaf and Native American. In casting the role, we wanted to celebrate and honor both Deaf and Native American cultures. We couldn’t be more delighted by Alaqua Cox’s performance. She is phenomenal and part of a new culture in film and television, where authentic representation not only matters but is paramount to the kind of stories we want to tell and how we shape them.”
“We are gratified to witness this latest group of studio productions implement the crucial values of inclusion and authentic representation in their casting decisions,” Ruderman Family Foundation president Jay Ruderman said in a statement. “These practices are increasingly becoming the norm in Hollywood, with the authentic casting of Lauren Ridloff in Eternals and Alaqua Cox in Hawkeye marking a particularly high-profile and momentous milestone for Marvel and the entire entertainment industry. Each time a casting director or other executive makes such a decision, it facilitates the industry’s broader journey towards fulfilling its full potential as a beacon of all forms of diversity and social justice.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

'Hawkeye' costume designer Michael Crow on those 'ridiculous' LARPing outfits and the Kingpin cameo
GoldDerby / Gold Derby  May 16, 2022

'Hawkeye' costume designer Michael Crow on those 'ridiculous' LARPing outfits and keeping Kingpin's cameo on the down-low. Plus: How sportswear inspired Clint and Kate's purple costumes, worn by stars Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld. Gold Derby editor Joyce Eng hosts this webchat.

How 'Hawkeye' production designer Maya Shimoguchi recreated 30 Rockm stuck Jeremy Renner inside tree
GoldDerby / Gold Derby  May 16, 2022

How 'Hawkeye' production designer Maya Shimoguchi recreated 30 Rock and stuck Jeremy Renner inside a tree. She also details what went into the "Rogers: The Musical" and KB Toys sets. Gold Derby editor Joyce Eng hosts this webchat.

• Love 1

Hawkeye Season 2 Receives Promising Update From Disney Awards Campaign
By Liam Crowley   May 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-season-2-disney-update-awards-campaign

Per the official Disney Studio Awards page, Hawkeye is listed as a consideration for "Outstanding Comedy Series" at the 2022 Emmy Awards.

This is a pivot from its placement in the "Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series" category that was reported in April, indicating that Marvel no longer views the show as a single-season limited series, leaving the door open for a Season 2. 
Shifting Hawkeye toward the comedy category opens the door for a sophomore streaming installment, but its far from a guarantee.

• Love 1