Type keyword(s) to search

Hawkeye in the Media: Target!

Pallas
  • Start Topic

An exclusive look at 47 of fall 2021's new and returning shows
By EW Staff   September 17, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/fall-2021-tv-preview-photos/?slide=a5095001-4a9f-406d-bb3f-fa4046fc261f#a5095001-4a9f-406d-bb3f-fa4046fc261f 

Hawkeye (Nov. 24, Disney+)

One of the founding Avengers is finally getting his moment in the spotlight — though Disney's next live-action Marvel Cinematic Universe series is actually a tale of two Hawkeyes. We already know Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner), who we've seen face down alien conquerors and Yakuza gangsters during his yearslong career as a superhero. But now we meet Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld), the young female Hawkeye whose MCU entrance fans have been eagerly awaiting for years. She brings out a different side of Clint. 

"There's the family man that we've portrayed," executive producer Trinh Tran says of Renner's archer, "a more serious character who is no-nonsense and gets through what he needs to do to accomplish the mission. But here he's pit against Kate, who is super energetic — and at times annoying. It's putting the two of them together and seeing what comes out of that." —Christian Holub

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Actually, as of this post, the number of views of the Hawkeye trailer is now up to 16,719,311 (the number of views of the other MCU Disney+ series may have gone up as well)...

Hawkeye's New Trailer Just Broke One Major Record for Marvel Studios
By Richard Nebens    September 19, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-trailer-marvel-studios-youtube-like-record 

The first trailer for Marvel Studios' Hawkeye earned 833,000 likes on Youtube. This makes it the most liked trailer on YouTube out of all four MCU Disney+ shows to date.

1. Hawkeye , First Trailer - 833,000
  2. WandaVision , First Trailer - 725,000
  3. Loki , Second Trailer - 716,000
  4. Loki , First Trailer - 695,000
  5. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier , Second Trailer - 648,000
  6. What If...? , Second Trailer - 634,000
  7. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier , First Trailer - 434,000
  8. What If...? , First Trailer - 369,000
  9. WandaVision , Second Trailer - 367,000
  10. Ms. Marvel , First Look - 141,000

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Hawkeye’: Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman on Bringing ‘Rogers: The Musical’ to Life
BY RACHEL PAIGE    November 10, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-rogers-the-musical-marc-shaiman-scott-wittman 

Curtain up on Rogers: The Musical. The latest Disney+ series from Marvel Studios, Hawkeye, features one show-stopping musical number focused on the Avengers and the Battle of New York.

Marvel.com can reveal that the long-time, award-winning, songwriting team behind the likes of Hairspray, Smash, and Mary Poppins Returns Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman — who co-wrote the lyrics, with Shaiman also producing the actual song recording — penned the number from Rogers: The Musical in the series. And it all started with, as Shaiman told Marvel.com, Kevin Feige being a “film score nerd.”

“[Scott and I] were at an Academy Award dinner, and I'm sitting there and someone taps me on the shoulder and says, ‘Excuse me, Kevin Feige would love to meet you,’” Shaiman explained. “I knew who Kevin was, and I was like he wants to meet me, really? Turns out Kevin is a film score nerd. He started talking about [the scores I’ve written] one by one and I was like, I cannot believe this is happening. We started trading emails about scores and this and that, and when I would see [Marvel movies] I would send him an email. I guess when this idea came up for Hawkeye, for there to be a musical on Broadway, he luckily thought of us, and [Scott and I] couldn't be more ecstatic about it.”

When the pitch to work on Rogers: The Musical first came up, both Scott and Marc admit that neither one of them was super well-versed in the Marvel Cinematic Universe...but that quickly changed.
“We got this assignment during the height of the pandemic, so I had many hours, and I watched many of the movies,” Wittman said with a laugh. “Much to my delight, I was really quite amazed at all the kind of sly fun that existed in them and I was hoping to get that into the song.”

For research purposes, Shaiman also had a secret weapon at his disposal: his husband, Lou. “It seemed fate that I married a man who was a total Marvel nerd. So, I would go with him as a good husband to go watch all the movies, then we would usually sit in the parking lot of the movie theater, and I'd say what did I just see? How does that all work and who's who, and little by little I started putting all the pieces together. We were both lucky to have [my husband, because] he could just spit out whatever the words are like, you know, ‘Tesseract.’ I never knew that Scott and I would write a song with the word ‘Tesseract’ in it.”

Using the backdrop of an epic Avengers battle, the two set to work crafting a show-stopping musical number for Hawkeye, focusing on the idea of, “save the city.”

“We were in the middle of the very worst part of the pandemic,” Wittman adds. “When we were writing it was like when people would go and bang on pots and pans for the hospital workers, first responders. It all seemed to fit into the universe that we were writing to. So, the notion of ‘someone please save New York,’ was the battle cry of [the song].”

With the premiere of Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye right around the corner, Shaiman and Wittman are excited for Rogers: The Musical to finally be out there for fans, with Shaiman teasing, “We've got some fantastic singers on this track, so I can't wait for people to hear.” But on top of that, both are excited for fans to start singing (and dancing) along to it, too.

“It's been so thrilling to watch those reaction videos to the trailers,” Shaiman continued. “We’ve worked on a lot of stuff that goes around the world, but man, there's nothing like the Marvel fans and how they look [for hidden details] and everything. It was just wonderful to see how happy they were about the musical and that they understand Marvel's sense of humor. They're just so looking forward to it. It's really thrilling.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Sounds good...

Hawkeye Early Reactions Praise Steinfeld, Renner & Street-Level Story
Spoiler-free early reactions for Disney+'s new MCU live-action series Hawkeye, starring Jeremy Renner reprising his Avengers role, have arrived.
BY BRENNAN KLEIN    NOVEMBER 11, 2021
https://screenrant.com/hawkeye-show-marvel-early-reactions-reviews/ 

Now, the initial reactions to the first two episodes of the Hawkeye series have made their way online. Almost unanimously, critics have praised Hailee Steinfeld's performance as Kate Bishop, enjoying her chemistry with the taciturn retired hero. So far they have described the series as a more low-stakes, Shane Black-inflected holiday romp with a very MCU sensibility. Check out some selected early reactions below:
For the time being, Marvel and Disney+ are keeping a tight lid on spoilers, so these are very general opinions. However, they will give fans an idea of the shape the series is going to take, as well as the general reception it will garner. So far, it's certainly looking like the series will deliver for fans of the comics, especially the specific comic series Hawkeye is based on from Matt Fraction & David Aja.

Hawkeye is set to run for just 6 episodes, so this 2-episode taste of the series is actually showing quite a large portion of the show overall. If the remaining 4 episodes can capture the audience as well as the first two seem to have done, this spells out very good news for the series. As it is likely to be Hawkeye's final outing in the MCU, he certainly deserves a sendoff that leaves fans of the character feeling satisfied.

Marvel's Hawkeye: First Reactions Surface Online
By JENNA ANDERSON - November 11, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvels-hawkeye-first-reactions-surface-online-twitter-review/ 

The holiday season is almost upon us, and that will mean a few things — including the premiere of Hawkeye. The upcoming Disney+ series is set to debut around Thanksgiving later this month, showcasing a whole new corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While we still have to wait a few more weeks to see the series premiere, we now have some of the first indications of what to expect from the show. On Thursday afternoon, the first reactions to Hawkeye began to surface online, and they seem to indicate that the series is about to be Marvel's next hit.
Keep scrolling to check out some of the early reactions to Hawkeye, and share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Also, Collider's Steven Weintraub revealed the run times for the first two episodes:

JEREMY RENNER & HAILEE STEINFELD ATTEND UK PREMIERE OF MARVEL’S HAWKEYE
Roger Palmer    Nov 11, 2021
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/jeremy-renner-and-hailee-steinfeld-attend-uk-premiere-of-marvels-hawkeye/ 

Today, Disney held a special premiere event in London England for Marvel Studios “Hawkeye”, where some lucky fans got to see the first two episodes of the series.

In attendance at the event were the series stars, Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld, along with the executive producer Rhys Thomas.
The first two episodes of Marvel Studio’s “Hawkeye” are coming to Disney+ on Wednesday 24th November 2021, with new episodes dropping every Wednesday afterwards.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some stuff from the Disney+ Day about “Hawkeye”.
“Hawkeye” stars Jeremy Renner as Avenger Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye, and Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop, Clint’s biggest fan. Hawkeye is set in post-blip New York City where Clint Barton has a seemingly simple mission: get back to his family for Christmas. But when a threat from his past shows up, Hawkeye reluctantly teams up with 22-year-old skilled archer Kate Bishop to unravel a criminal conspiracy. In the trailer, Clint tells Kate, “I’m sorry Kate, I’m not a role model to anyone”. 
“Hawkeye” costars include:
Vera Farmiga as Kate’s mother Eleanor.
Tony Dalton is Hawkeye’s mentor Jack Duqesne. 
Fra Fee plays villain clown Kazi.
Zahn McClarnon is William Lopez, Echo’s dad.
Florence Pugh reprising her role of Yelena from “Black Widow. 
Brian d’Arcy James
Rhys Thomas and Bert & Bertie direct the series. 
Jonathan Igla is the head writer.

Hailee Steinfeld 
hawkeye.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

“Hawkeye” also features Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez, a.k.a. Echo, who is getting her own spin-off series on Disney Plus. In the trailer, she’s one of the people pursuing Clint and Kate.

"Echo"
FEAeXvwVEAsu2xf?format=jpg&name=medium

“Hawkeye” introduces Alaqua Cox as the character Maya Lopez, a.k.a. Echo, a deaf Native American martial artist who can perfectly replicate a person’s moves, hence the name. In the comics, she’s a formidable force who has mixed it up with the likes of Daredevil, Blade and the Avengers (including Hawkeye). She was also the first to go by the name Ronin, the same alias Barton used as a rogue assassin in Avengers: Endgame.
hawkeye-Alaqua-Cox-echo-maya-lopez.png?w

Alaqua Cox on the set of Hawkeye

• Love 1

Lot of Photos.

APT-106-12941_R2.jpg

Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop and Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton

APT-101-04911_R.jpg

Vera Farmiga as Eleanor Bishop and Tony Dalton as Jack Duquesne

APT-102-00851_R.jpg

Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop

APT-103-19054_R.jpg

Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez

APT-104-01644_R.jpg

Jeremy Renner as Clint Bishop

APT-104-04484_R.jpg

Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop

APT-105-02077_R2_C.jpg

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye

APT-105-19933_R.jpg

Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez

• Useful 1

Hawkeye director on [OMITTED WORDS] in the series: "We know their past"
By Molly Edwards     Nov 15, 2021
Games Radar article link 

Spoiler

The moment saw Florence Pugh's former-Widow at the graveside of Natasha Romanoff, who sacrificed herself in Avengers: Endgame for the Soul Stone – rather than let Jeremy Renner's Clint Barton be the one to go over the edge. In Black Widow, Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Val told Yelena that Hawkeye was responsible for Natasha's death, and put the archer firmly in Yelena's crosshairs.

GamesRadar+ sat down with Hawkeye director Rhys Thomas, and asked whether we'll be seeing the Avenger and assassin at each other's throats in the series.  

"I can't speak to that," he tells us. "But yes, we know their past, and obviously what happened in Endgame. We know in these first two episodes that Clint's dealing with the fallout of that. But in terms of how they meet, I can't – I'll just pretend I don't know. Imagine it's a happy meeting, where they talk over coffee and work things out."
"It's definitely a standalone thing in that we have this Christmas setting, and this very fixed timeframe story," he reveals. "But it being the MCU, of course, it all connects in some way as well. And we've got new characters, and this was teed up at the end of Black Widow as well. And so everything is always a nice entry point. But I think for the most part, the story is its own little world."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

BFFs Featurette | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Nov 18, 2021

Hawkeye: Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld talk their MCU futures
By Molly Edwards    November 17, 2021
https://www.gamesradar.com/hawkeye-jeremy-renner-and-hailee-steinfeld-talk-their-mcu-futures/ 

"I can tell you that [Kate's story is] beginning in this show, that I am so excited to be a part of, and I just am so excited to be playing a character that people have been so excited to see on the big screen for some time," Steinfeld tells us. "I feel very lucky."
Renner, who has been an MCU mainstay since his first appearance in 2011's Thor, was similarly reserved on whether we'll be seeing him again after Hawkeye.

"I don't have a crystal ball, or I'm not a soothsayer," he says. "But having Hailee come in, and these characters, I think it opens it up for six great episodes for this event type of television. After that, I have no idea. But these six episodes are pretty exciting."

Edited by tv echo

Show Me | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Nov 18, 2021

Hawkeye: New Clip Shows Clint Throw Kate Under the Bus in Hilarious Meeting With Her Mom
By RUSS BURLINGAME - November 19, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-new-clip-shows-clint-throw-kate-under-the-bus-in-hilarious-meeting-with-her-mom/

Disney+ and Marvel Studios have released a new clip from the upcoming Hawkeye series, in which Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) and Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) visit Kate's family...and it's basically as awkward as you might expect it to be when a young woman takes a middle-aged celebrity home. In this case, there's the extra wrinkle that the two are clearly hiding something from Kate's mother, and Clint goes out of his way to poo-poo everything Kate says to try and throw momma off the trail. He also wants to make it clear they aren't partners. Or friends, really.

Hawkeye Clip: We're not partners Englisch English (2021)
FILM.TV     Nov 18, 2021

Edited by tv echo

Hawkeye Sneak Peek: Clint Barton and Kate Bishop Vs. the Tracksuit Mafia
TVLine   Nov 19, 2021

The best ever! Kevin Feige at the Hawkeye premiere
FabTV    Nov 19, 2021

Hawkeye’s Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld on Why They Loved Filming the Dialogue Scenes
Collider Interviews   Nov 19, 2021

Tricks | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Nov 20, 2021

‘Hawkeye’ Director Rhys Thomas’ Journey From ‘SNL’ to the Marvel Universe
BY AARON COUCH    NOVEMBER 20, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/hawkeye-director-episode-1-steve-rogers-1235051255/ 

Hawkeye director Rhys Thomas made his first foray into the Marvel Cinematic Universe late on a Friday night in 2014. Thomas had a short window to film with Chris Pratt, that week’s host of Saturday Night Live, where Thomas was a director. The whirlwind shoot resulted in a Guardians of the Galaxy parody trailer, the conceit being that audiences would show up no matter what Marvel did (including making a film centered on a random woman named Pam).
Thomas, an executive producer who also directs the sixth and final episode, and his team took big swings with the series, including mounting a musical number based on the life of Steve Rogers, something that began as a small reference in the script and evolved to a key piece of the premiere. He contended with filming in the streets of New York, a place where it’s challenging to keep Marvel’s secrets from prying eyes. And he had the challenge of filming across the series on any given day, shooting Hawkeye more like a feature than a TV show.
You did a Marvel parody for SNL. What do you remember about that?  
I remember it was a late Friday night. I think we could only get him after he had rehearsed the live show. I don’t think we started until midnight. I think we had three hours to do the whole thing. It was fun. Guardians of the Galaxy was such a fun turning point in the MCU, tonally. I always felt like a cheat — or an imposter — that you got to re-create these things. I hated the idea that it seemed like we were making fun of them because I always held these things in such high esteem. Taking on Wes Anderson, taking on Tarantino. “Who am I to do this?” And then when you are with the actual actors from the actual thing, it just adds this other layer of, “We have to try to match that standard as best we can in this short time frame.”

So years later you are called into Marvel for a general meeting and asked which character you really identified with. Who was that meeting with? 
Coincidentally it was Trinh Tran, who was the executive on Hawkeye. She was talking about the shows in general and explaining it to me. And asked me that question, and I said, “Hawkeye.” She kind of reacted with surprise, because I feel like no one expects anyone to say Hawkeye. I genuinely didn’t know that was the show she was specifically doing. You kind of hit the jackpot a little bit on that one.

How long is it before you officially get the job?
It was a while. It was a long, evolving conversation. Trinh shared outlines with me and I started firing off notes and thoughts and ideas. The conversation kept happening and I kept wondering, “Well, this seems like it’s a good sign that she’s still talking to me.” By the time I came to meet with Kevin [Feige] and the team and pitch for it, Trinh had been so helpful in preparing me for that. I felt very comfortable with her. I felt like I had support
Rogers: The Musical will undoubtedly be a standout from this series. What was filming that like?
In one of the drafts there was a mention of a bus driving by with an ad for Rogers: The Musical. That was there. “Huh, that’s a funny thing that’s there,” but it never came up in the show. When I came on and we were working with the writers and we were brainstorming where is Clint at? How do we show where his head’s at? Is he in New York? Is he at home with his family? If he is at home with his family, how do we get him to New York? That was a big challenge. I had this image of Jeremy’s grumpy face sitting in a darkened theater, watching a musical about himself and that made me laugh. I put together some notes and thoughts on it and pitched it to Kevin and the guys. Just like, “Hey, this might be stupid. But what if we actually do the musical and that’s where he is?” Kevin kind of seized on it, much to my surprise. Then I started backtracking. Suddenly it was like, “Shit. What is a musical in the MCU and what are fans going to expect? How do we do it?” Kevin wouldn’t let go of it. “It’s going to be good.” That’s when you go, “OK, who am I going to do this with?” It being Marvel, Marc Shaiman picked up the call, and Scott Wittman. Together we figured it out.

Spoiler

In the musical, the actor playing Steve Rogers belts out, “I can do this all day.” That got me thinking, how do the writers of the musical know Steve ever said that? In the MCU, is there a biography of Steve Rogers where that anecdote was reported? It’s fun to think about what details from the films are known to the general public in the MCU.
Part of the appeal of this show is we are seeing the MCU somewhat through the eyes of civilians. We don’t come in on a big world-ending plot. We are entering through young Kate’s eyes. She’s a fan of Hawkeye. You realize these guys are celebrities in this world. Obviously, people know who they are. What does that mean? Part of the fun of the musical is you are getting to see this theatrical representation of them and portraying the same traumatic moment from [the Battle of New York in 2012’s Avengers] and seeing how over time it becomes sort of Disney-fied.

What was it like working with Jolt, the dog who plays Lucky the Pizza Dog? Do you delegate that work to a trainer?
Yeah, Greg Tresan. With Jolt, we had an audition process with our dogs. Jolt did an amazing job. There are very specific things the dog needs to do. She was great. I was definitely dubious, and I had images of a CG dog. Genuinely, I can’t think of a moment we lost time because of Jolt. She was on it.

Did she wear a green patch to remove her eye in post?
No, I asked that same question. I was informed she would probably walk around in circles if we obscured her eye. Those wizards — we would shoot a scene with Jolt, and the visual effects team would come in and take all of the lighting references and everything they needed from each camera setup and go in and track this different eye after the fact. It’s a painstaking process where you have to track this thing, frame by frame.

Did you talk with Matt Fraction, who wrote the run that influenced your show? 
Matt Fraction is friends with Seth Meyers, who I do Documentary Now! with and I’ve known from SNL. Seth is a comic book fan, too. When I got on to Hawkeye, Seth was like, “I’m friends with Matt Fraction. You guys should meet. You would really like each other.” I’ve had the joy of getting to know Matt and to be able to bounce ideas off of him. I considered that run a genius run.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Hawkeye Interview: Director Rhys Thomas Talks Matt Fraction, Kate Bishop, & Rogers: The Musical
Nerdist    Nov 22, 2021

Arrives | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Nov 22, 2021

Jeremy Renner Takes Aim at TV in ‘Hawkeye’ and ‘Mayor of Kingstown’
By Dave Itzkoff   Nov. 19, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/arts/television/jeremy-renner-hawkeye-mayor-of-kingstown.html 

When Marvel started considering him for Hawkeye, Renner was riding high from “The Town,” a Boston crime thriller, and “The Hurt Locker,” an anxious Iraq War drama, and the studio believed he could bring a strain of realism to contrast with fantastical characters like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

Kevin Feige, the Marvel Studios president, said that Renner was sought to supply “the human element of ‘The Avengers’ — the Everyman who gets banged and bruised up, who can’t fly and still runs into battle with the best of them.”

He added, “It needed an actor who could stay grounded despite the insanity surrounding him, and also have a wry sense of humor while doing that.”
Renner took on the role and the multiyear commitment it meant, grateful that it offered him the freedom to be more selective about his non-Marvel work. “I got to make very specific choices and easier choices,” he said. “I don’t have to do a big picture. I can just do what makes sense for me.”

He acknowledged some frustration with the first “Avengers” film, which Hawkeye largely spent as an unwilling villain under the spell of the nefarious Loki. Renner said he felt like little more than “one of the cogs in the wheel.” But the sequels, which explored Clint Barton’s love for his family — and his desire for revenge when they are erased from existence — satisfied Renner’s desire for a more well-rounded character.
Before filming “Mayor of Kingstown,” Renner had signed on for “Hawkeye,” a six-episode mini-series that grew out of an earlier agreement to make a stand-alone Marvel film about that character.

“Hawkeye,” which takes some inspiration from an inventive run on the comic-book series by the writer Matt Fraction and artists including David Aja, is set primarily after the events of the 2019 blockbuster “Avengers: Endgame.” The show focuses on the unlikely partnership that develops between Barton and Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld), a young woman at the center of a high-society mystery whom he reluctantly takes on as his protégée.
He was confident that there would be more seasons of “Mayor of Kingstown” in his future and that, whatever the outcome of “Hawkeye,” he would surely be playing Clint Barton again.

“I can make that live for another decade,” Renner said. “Until I just can’t fit into the damn costume anymore.” As for acting as a whole, he said, “I’ll do it till no one wants to see me do it.”

Edited by tv echo

Save The City (From "Hawkeye"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   Nov 24, 2021

Enjoy this first track from the soundtrack and get ready for the entire soundtrack coming later in December. #HawkeyeOfficial listen here:
 https://hollywoodrecs.co/HawkeyeSaveTheCity 

Hawkeye Stages 'Rogers: The Musical' — Get the Original, Complete Lyrics to That Broadway Showstopper
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 24 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/11/24/hawkeye-rogers-the-musical-complete-lyrics-broadway-show/

'Hawkeye': Inside 'Rogers the Musical' and Why It's Important to Clint Barton's Story (Exclusive)
By Stacy Lambe? 5:00 AM PST, November 24, 2021
https://www.etonline.com/hawkeye-inside-rogers-the-musical-and-why-its-important-to-clint-bartons-story-exclusive-175619

‘Hawkeye’: Bringing Christmas in New York City to Life
BY RACHEL PAIGE   NOVEMBER 24, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-christmas-new-york-city 

Meet Kate Featurette | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Nov 23, 2021

Legacy Featurette| Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Nov 24, 2021

Edited by tv echo

When TV's Big Fall Finales Are Airing, Including Grey's Anatomy And One Chicago Shows
By Nick Venable last updated 3 days ago
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/when-tvs-big-fall-finales-are-airing-including-greys-anatomy-and-one-chicago-shows 

Wednesday, December 22

• Hawkeye Season 1, Disney+, 3:01 a.m. (Season Finale)
  • Sistas Season 3, BET, 9:00 p.m. (Season Finale) 
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 15, FXX, 10:00 p.m. (Season Finale)

HAWKEYE! Talking Rogers The Musical, Hailee Steinfeld's Kate Bishop, Marvel, & MORE W/ The Producer!
The Reel Rejects   Nov 21, 2021

The Most Iconic Hawkeye Moments in the MCU | Disney+
Disney Plus    Nov  23, 2021

Edited by tv echo

Did Hawkeye Musical Cover Endgame? Should The Game Recruit Twins? Who Will Survive 'Rivervale'? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby and Charlie Mason / November 26 2021, 
https://tvline.com/2021/11/26/hawkeye-rogers-the-musical-covers-civil-war-endgame-tv-questions/

If Hawkeye‘s Clint and the kids bailed on Rogers: The  Musical halfway through, does that mean the second half of the show chronicled the events of Civil War, Infinity War (was the Thanos costume also a hoodie?) and (please tell us Natasha got a ballad) Endgame? How did Clint locate/save Kate nearby Armand III’s building, having had zero leads on the person who had been spotted in the Ronin suit? Lastly, given Kate’s POV in this screenshot, fwip!ing someone standing on the street was in fact pretty impossible, yes?

‘Hawkeye': Did Kate Bishop Get Snapped by Thanos?
Andi Ortiz and Tim Baysinger | November 24, 2021
https://www.thewrap.com/hawkeye-did-kate-bishop-get-snapped-by-thanos/ 

What we do know is that Kate Bishop is 22 years old, because she tells Clint that outright. And, in the opening moments of the first episode of “Hawkeye,” we see a young Kate Bishop in her room in 2012, during the Battle of New York. She’s somewhere in the 9-11 years old range at that point, which would then indicate that, if “Hawkeye” is set in the MCU’s apparent present day of somewhere between 2023-2025 (considering at least some time has passed since “Endgame”) she was not snapped.

And, according to series star Hailee Steinfeld, that math is about right — Kate Bishop was not snapped out of existence by Thanos.

“No, I believe that we see her survive and we see, you know, loss there as well,” Steinfeld told TheWrap. “And that didn’t happen to her.”

Marvel Celebrates Hawkeye With New Kate Bishop Funko and Captain America Pin
By Russ Milheim    November 27, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-hawkeye-kate-bishop-funko-captain-america-pin 

kate-v.jpg 

Rogers_CUxpHuS.jpg

Shop Marvel Must Haves: 'Hawkeye' Episodes 1 and 2
BY RACHEL PAIGE    November 26, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/shop-marvel-must-haves-hawkeye-episodes-1-2 
hawkeye_mmh.png

Edited by tv echo

In case you were wondering, here's the cast of Rogers: The Musical...

• Adam Pascal and Ty Taylor (“Lead New Yorkers")
  • Tom Feeney (“Musical Captain America”) 
  • Aaron Nedrick (“Musical Iron Man”)
  • Avery Gillham (“Musical Hawkeye”)
  • Harris Turner (“Musical Hulk”)
  • Jason Scott MacDonald (“Musical Thor”)
  • Meghan Manning (“Musical Black Widow”)
  • Nico DeJesus (“Musical Ant-Man”) 
  • Jordan Chin (“Musical Loki”)

(source)

Quotes of the Week: Hawkeye, Insecure, Days of Our Lives, Dexter and More
By Team TVLine / November 28 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/dexter-new-blood-a-little-fargo-best-tv-quotes/ 

HAWKEYE
“Since when did everybody start saying, ‘I love you’ to everybody all the time?”

“That was my mom. Since when did your heart shrink three sizes?”

“When a little girl in a ninja costume stole my Christmas.”

Kate (Hailee Steinfeld) thinks Clint (Jeremy Renner) is a real Grinch

HAWKEYE (Bonus Quote!)
“And I fought Thanos.”

A LARPer begs Clint (Jeremy Renner) to let himself be pretend-killed

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 2

Hawkeye Viewership Lags 40% Behind Loki Premiere On Disney+

Hawkeye has received overwhelmingly positive reviews from both fans and critics, with the show currently standing at a 94 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Hawkeye's first episode, measured by Samba TV (from a sample of 3 million viewers) trails the 5-day U.S. household viewership figure for Loki by -40%. Hawkeye‘s 5-day 1.5 million households is also lagging behind the 3-day premieres of Falcon and the Winter Solider, which received 1.8 million views, and WandaVision, which earned 1.6 million views.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1

It was also released the day before Thanksgiving. I'm sure that affected a lot of people's viewing. And 5days ends on Sunday, so that's the biggest travel weekend of the year, with tons of people not at home, driving and travelling and loving/cooking/fighting with their families and maybe not a fair comparison to pandemic stay at home premiers. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison, but I like to think Disney realized that would be a factor?

• Love 3

‘Hawkeye’: Behind-the-Scenes of Clint Barton and Kate Bishop’s Car Chase
BY RACHEL PAIGE
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-behind-the-scenes-clint-barton-kate-bishop-car-chase 

“It's absolutely one of [my favorite scenes],” Hailee Steinfeld tells Marvel.com. “I think about the scene often — after the very first take, I looked at Jeremy [Renner] and I literally just started laughing. I know that Jeremy's done this for so long and he's done a car chase or two. I've had moments [while filming Hawkeye] where I'm like, ‘keep it together.’ I just could not help it! I couldn't contain my giddiness. I looked at him and I was like, ‘This is what I signed up for! This is so amazing.’ He felt the same way.”

“We shouldn’t have been laughing the whole time we were getting chased by a bunch of bad guys,” Renner adds, with, in fact, a laugh. “If there's [ever] a Hawkeye ride at Disneyland, this is [what the] ride should be. That's how we felt because it's not done with a bunch of editing; it's all done in one shot, the camera is sitting there in the car right between us on this pivot. All the action, all the players of this car chase sequence, it's all happening in real time. That's why it felt like a ride and it was really, really, really fun. We did it a handful of times, but we got to do some pretty amazing, cool things.”
“I believe it was like three minutes or so to do the whole loop [in one take],” she recalls. “But of course, we did other bits and inserts where I was hanging out the car and when we weren't driving.”

One of Steinfeld’s favorite, and hardest, maneuvers to nail while filming was grabbing her quiver from the Tracksuits’s car — while both are in motion — and then get back up to the front seat alongside Clint.

“It was so intentionally messy,” Steinfeld remembers. “It was just a lot harder than I thought. It was not very [graceful]. I didn't have a lot of space, and I [had my] quivers in the car. Everything was all over the place. Jeremy’s obviously driving and the first time I did it, my foot hit his visor. I just remember everybody being like, ‘That was great, you got to do that. You gotta do it again. You gotta do it again.’ So at least Jeremy knew that my foot was coming in hot.”

The scene also serves as one of the first times Clint and Kate truly find themselves working together, adding another layer to their budding partnership — though Clint is still less than enthused to have her with him along for the ride, literally. “Another interesting part of that car chase sequence is they're communicating, but not,” Renner adds. “One person can't hear anything and [the other’s] talking a lot. And yeah, there's some fun character bits in there of her trying to grab some arrows that she's really not worthy of slinging.”
“If you're going to have a special tip arrow, it should be a Pym arrow,” Renner explains, “Because [of Hawkeye’s] relationship with Ant-Man. That was such a cool, cool thing. Now we're talking; now we're feeling more Avenger-like.”

While there, obviously, was no actual giant arrow used during filming, Renner saw only a small preview of it before seeing it completed in post-production — and he’s excited for everyone to see it on Disney+, too. “You don't really know what’s happening all the time when you're filming it. When you do see it, like maybe a preview, you think like, wait, what? That's going to be in the visual effects? And so yeah, that was something I got very, very, very excited about and can't wait for that to land.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Hailee Steinfeld's interview starts at around the 12:00 mark (she talked about training for Hawkeye, funny moments that happened while filming the series, not singing in Rogers: The Musical, other Avengers that she'd like Kate to work with, her favorite MCU movie, how she's similar to Kate, if she ever went to Disneyland while growing up in Southern California, her favorite Disneyland attraction, what Disney song that she'd like to record, her favorite Disney character, and her favorite Disney memory) ...

Hit the Mark | Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 2, 2021

This or That | Marvel Studios' Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 2, 2021

Hawkeye: How Hailee Steinfeld Helped Deaf Marvel Co-Star Feel Comfortable on Set
By Russ Milheim     Dec 2, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-hailee-steinfeld-marvel-deaf-echo

In the Winter 2021 issue of Disney’s D23 Magazine obtained by The Direct, Alaqua Cox talked about her experience joining the MCU. The actor mentions that she “[felt] like a badass Super Hero” when putting on her wardrobe:

"The funny thing is, I usually don’t like dressing in all black, but that costume somehow made me feel like a badass Super Hero."

Her co-stars were very welcoming when she arrived on set. According to Cox, “[Jeremy Renner] complimented [her] in American Sign Language,” and “[Hailee Steinfeld] also spelled out her name to [her] in ASL:”

"It was such an honor to work with them both. I think they are spectacular actors, and I have learned a lot from watching them work behind the scenes… I remember meeting Jeremy on my first day of work on-set; I was a nervous wreck, as this was my very first acting job. He then complimented me in American Sign Language (ASL), which comforted me. Hailee also spelled out her name to me in ASL at the studio where we were doing our stunt training sessions. I thought it was sweet of them putting in efforts to learn basic ASL to communicate with me. It means a lot to me as a Deaf person.”

Duo behind Rogers: The Musical in Hawkeye would love to make a full Marvel Broadway show
By Christian Holub   December 02, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/hawkeye-rogers-the-musical-interview-marc-shaiman-scott-wittman/ 

When songwriting duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (of Hairspray, Smash, and Mary Poppins Returns fame) were approached by Marvel mastermind Kevin Feige about writing a musical number for the first episode of Hawkeye, they each had their own approach. Wittman proceeded to educate himself by watching every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in a period of days, while Shaiman was excited by the chance to impress his MCU-loving husband. 

"We thought, this is a crazy idea and we definitely have to do it," Shaiman says of their initial reaction. "I had to do it just to become the greatest husband on Earth. It was a thrill." 

Shaiman and Wittman say they were pleased by the positive response from Marvel brass to their Hawkeye contribution — which you can now stream as the song "Save the City." But before arriving at the superhero spectacle, their first idea had been a song from the perspective of ordinary New Yorkers witnessing the Chitauri invasion of New York City. Ultimately, it was decided that the focus of the scene should be Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) watching a campy version of something he witnessed firsthand. 

"It's important for the Hawkeye character to watch that event that was such a seminal part of his life and feel slightly uncomfortable like, 'what have they done to my world?'" Wittman says. 
"It was a fine line to walk. We knew that we had to write a good song, an entertaining song, something you'd hopefully enjoy," Shaiman adds, "but it also had to make Clint roll his eyes and think, 'what is this?'"
"Definitely part of the discussion with Marvel was that the things that are quoted in the musical have to be things that people who actually live in the universe would know," Shaiman adds. "So we figured Captain America has said 'I could do this all day' enough times that someone heard it, or maybe when they created this musical they interviewed people who were there. But then also putting Ant-Man in that scene show how, no matter what, entertainment versions of real-life stories will always get something a little wrong." 
For now, Rogers: The Musical only exists in the form of one song — which Shaiman and Wittman see as an Act I closer, the kind of catchy tune Broadway attendees might be humming in the bathroom during intermission. Would they ever consider writing a full-length Marvel musical…?

"Of course!" Wittman says. "Get people to start calling Kevin on the phone and tell him."

"But we've got to move fast because I bet people are already writing it on TikTok," Shaiman says. "There are a million things that you could create in a Marvel musical, especially with Steve Rogers. The fact that he exists in the '40s as well would allow us to write a whole lot of different genres, so the whole Marvel story would take place over decades. It would be a thrill to get to do that. But for now we're just extremely excited about the way the show came out." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Was Big Leap Death Abrupt? The Hotter NCIS: Hawai'i Couple? Does Succession Girlfriend Have Shiv Vibe? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Dave Nemetz, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby, Keisha Hatchett and Charlie Mason / December 3 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/03/succession-season-3-kendall-girlfriend-shiv-tv-questions-answers/ 

19 | On Hawkeye, where were these acidic trick arrows when the Avengers were fighting Thanos? And was it conspicuous that we never actually saw Clint’s face as Ronin attacked Maya’s father in flashback? Could someone else have been in the costume at the time?

Also, new Funko POP for Maya Lopez (to be released in February 2022):
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/fu60087?id=TH-004300456
bac0763bbaea4c0fa7232758e446bd48lg.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 11/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, Ailianna said:

It was also released the day before Thanksgiving. I'm sure that affected a lot of people's viewing. And 5days ends on Sunday, so that's the biggest travel weekend of the year, with tons of people not at home, driving and travelling and loving/cooking/fighting with their families and maybe not a fair comparison to pandemic stay at home premiers. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison, but I like to think Disney realized that would be a factor?

I would think so. I know I didn't watch the first 2 until Sunday or Monday because of the holiday.

Quotes of the Week: Gossip Girl, Flash, Yellowstone, Zoey's Christmas and More
By Team TVLine / December 5 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/the-flash-were-you-his-daughter-best-tv-quotes/ 

HAWKEYE
hawkeye-hawkear-quote.png

Sometimes a quote arrives via text — such as Kate teasing Clint about his busted hearing aid.

HAWKEYE (Bonus Quote!)
“Yeah. I’m in the wrong business.”

Clint (Jeremy Renner) marvels at Momma Bishop’s palatial New York digs

Edited by tv echo

‘Hawkeye’: Meet Pizza Dog
BY RACHEL PAIGE    December 1, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-pizza-dog-disney-plus 

Sure, Clint Barton and Kate Bishop’s main enemy is the Tracksuit Mafia but there’s another adversary to watch out for: squirrels. You never know when a pesky squirrel might pop out of nowhere, and that bushy tail can lead to dire consequences. Well, at least in scenes that involve filming with Pizza Dog, that is.

Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye introduces the world to the one and only Pizza Dog, played by a very good boy named Jolt. The idea to introduce the four-legged, one-eyed friend into the series was always part of the DNA of the show, because as executive producer Trinh Tran explains to Marvel.com, “In the comics, in Matt Fraction and David Aja’s run, Pizza Dog is number three on the call sheet.”

Early conversations about the show involved, “quite a bit of time trying to figure out how we can weave in the story with Pizza Dog in a fun way.”

The creative team settled on Kate casually meeting Pizza Dog first, before she rescues him from the Tracksuit Mafia and oncoming traffic. “It was a matter of how do we do it in an organic way that makes sense. So it doesn't feel like a dog all of a sudden just appeared in the storyline and how did that happen? It ties into how the dog encounters Kate and shows her nature of wanting to be a hero, and this was a good deed that she did in order to rescue him.”

“Connecting them in a way that showcases her characters and her traits as a hero, but also bringing the dog in a way that made sense to the story,” Tran continues. “Along the way, Pizza Dog also builds that bond with Clint as well. So together, the three of them become this trio that forms that friendship along the series.”
“We had several dogs; we had photos and we put the dogs on tape in terms of what they can do,” Tran says with a laugh. “We went on from there, trying to really figure out which is the best dog to play Pizza Dog. And Jolt, our amazing dog on set, was cast for it.”
“It was so fun; I am such a dog lover,” Hailee Steinfeld gushes. “The minute I knew Pizza Dog was as much a part of this show as he is, I was very excited. It was definitely a challenge; the dog is unbelievably well-trained — do not get me wrong — but it is a dog. When it sees a squirrel, it wants to have a moment with the squirrel.”
“We are trying to have a very serious walk-and-talk through Washington Square Park,” states Renner. “I can get a lot of important information out as I'm carrying a backpack, a quiver and a bow, and all these other things. And then I've got this dog that is trying to, again, have a moment with a squirrel. So, difficult at times but mainly very fun.”

Renner adds, “I ended up loving the dog a lot, he’s well trained,” up until “a squirrel would come around.”
“You see and hear Kate sort of talk to herself a lot or have moments where she's either trying to contain her excitement or figure something out, out loud,” Steinfeld continues. “That's a similar thing that she has with Pizza Dog where she's talking to the dog. She's looking for a connection. She's sort of coping in ways when she is having those moments to herself out loud. But there are moments that she has with this dog where she's not accepting the fact that he’s hers or that she's responsible for him. But this connection grows; she feels that what’s she's looking for in everyone around her. And it's quite sweet that she finds it with Pizza Dog.”
“The dog couldn't be cuter. I ended up really liking the dog,” Renner recalls. “I'm not sure if [Clint’s] supposed to be [friendly] towards him. I was just sitting down and he's by me, he's looking at me cute. Hot breath coming on me. He was a wonderful contribution to the show. He’s a good boy.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, tv echo said:

‘Hawkeye’: Meet Pizza Dog
BY RACHEL PAIGE    December 1, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/hawkeye-pizza-dog-disney-plus 

https://www.etonline.com/hawkeye-directors-break-down-florence-pughs-return-and-that-rooftop-fight-exclusive-176280

“To bring her story into this was such a dream come true,” Bert says, before Bertie adds that they saw Black Widow before it came out and were privy to how the stories would come together while preparing to film the episode. “So, being a fan of Florence and what she had done with Yelena’s character, [it] was very exciting.”  

When it came to working on episode 4, both directors had nothing but praise for Pugh, who they say came in with a strong command and understanding of her character and what she wanted to do with her new storyline. “Watching her decision-making and being really brave with the character not only was inspiring, but also just a lot of fun,” Bert says, joking, “What’s great about her is she’s batsh*t crazy. She’s like us!” 

Bertie adds that while Pugh had strong ideas, it was a collaborative process the whole way through. “For instance, we'd chosen a certain outfit for her to wear, but she was like, ‘I get that. But also, this is Yelena we’re talking about,’” the director recalls. “She was so good at choosing things for great reasons.”

• Love 1

Hawkeye Episode 4 Avengers: Endgame Reference Explained By Directors
BY RACHEL LABONTE     DECEMBER 8, 2021
https://screenrant.com/hawkeye-episode-4-avengers-endgame-reference-explained/ 

This week brought the arrival of Hawkeye episode 4, an installment that somehow found a way to pierce fans' hearts in the midst of a gripping fight scene. As Kate and Clint go head-to-head with both Maya Lopez (Alaqua Cox) and Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh), Kate goes tumbling over the edge of a building. Only a grappling hook keeps her from plummeting to her death, but the sight of a partner suspended in the air is enough to send Clint back to Vormir and Avengers: Endgame. As viewers know all too well, Clint's best friend Natasha (Scarlett Johansson) died after falling off a cliff, and Kate's position in Hawkeye episode 4 was too similar to Nat's.

Following the release of the episode, Screen Rant got the opportunity to speak to Hawkeye directors Bert and Bertie and ask them directly about the Avengers: Endgame reference. Bertie in particular was able to expand upon their intentions with the scene and how that ties into Clint's relationship with Kate. She said:

Literally everything that was going through your mind, and probably everyone's mind watching that, was what's going through--  It's like history repeating itself. She gets thrown off spectacularly and we just get a sense of the clip that's been attached to her. But you really don't know until she gets held at the bottom there. So I think it for Clint, and for Jeremy performing it -- he's very attached to Clint Barton's history, and I think it really comes back to him all in that moment, that iconic scene in Endgame. I think it's that history repeating itself and how precious life is and that he really can't let another mentee figure come to come to crops in his hands or under his watch.

I've been hurt before and also I can't be responsible. That was my past. I got it wrong. I'm trying to get my life right again. But my life keeps coming back to haunt me. So yes, pushing her away is the easiest thing for him to do at that moment. And the most necessary, he feels.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This interview discusses Episodes 3 and 4...

'Hawkeye’ Directors Break Down That Dazzling Car Chase, and the Debut of [______] in Episode 4
By Adam B. Vary    December 8, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hawkeye-yelena-black-widow-car-chase-1235129461/ 

There were so many trick arrows in that sequence. Was there a brainstorming session where you tried to come up with all the different kinds of trick arrows that you could think of?
Bertie:
Constant brainstorming. That’s what’s amazing about the Marvel process. They’re all about plussing. “How can we plus this?” From “What other arrows can we put in the car chase,” came “What would be the arrow that could be used to stop Kazi in his truck and the Christmas tree lot.” So the situations led to new arrows. The smoke arrow [appeared] earlier on in the chase, and it was too much there. It didn’t really serve a purpose. Then it came back later, when Kate was trying to get Maya’s car to to crash on the bridge.

How early was the Pym arrow introduced into the mix?
Bert:
Way, way earlier. That was that was one of the things that was in the script very early on. Then the challenge was figuring out how we were going to do it so it was believable, because the tone of the show is so real that something like that [giant arrow] really stood out for us. We needed to ground it with the emotion of the guys inside of the truck.

Bertie: And here’s something we haven’t spoken about yet. When we first were going to do the Pym arrow, the [giant] arrow was going to go straight at Kazi’s truck and split it down the middle. That sounded great on paper, but we pre-viz’d it, and you couldn’t quite figure out what was happening. Once we decided to do the up-and-down apex [of the arrow], you could see the whole thing. It was just staking this huge arrow on Manhattan Bridge, and it meant that the truck literally broke in half. That was fun to make that change.

You also introduced Echo in Episode 3 and showed the audience her experience as person who is deaf and an amputee. What were the conversations like about how you wanted to approach that character?
Bert:
It was a huge learning curve for us; Alaqua brought so much to this. We just went in asking to be taught how to do this because we want to represent her wholly and correctly on screen. So there were a lot of discussions ahead of actually filming, but then every day on set was learning with he, and she was very gracious.

Bertie: Maya’s story, for obvious reasons, mirrors Alaqua’s story in many ways. I think for us, and with Alaqua, it was about looking at these things that people might term as disabilities in Alaqua, and actually using those as her superpowers. So the fact that she’s a non-hearing person means that her sense of observation — a heightened awareness as she walks into a room and observes things — is a superpower. Her prosthetic leg, we see that Clint tries to hockey stick [it] out the way, and then she swings that metal leg at him, and it takes his hearing aid out. Using what could be considered her weaknesses as her strengths was a huge part of that character formation.

You didn’t know when you were shooting this necessarily that Echo was going to get her own spin off.
Bertie:
[Scrunches up her mouth]

Or did you? Bertie, I see a look on your face!
Bert:
No, you wouldn’t have changed anything had we or hadn’t we. I mean, I cannot possibly comment.

Bertie: “Echo” was announced halfway through our filming. So it was something where it didn’t particularly change the script. But it made sense of why there was such depth to this character, because she was going to have longevity in the world.

Finally, you also directed a major moment in Episode 4, when Florence Pugh’s Yelena finally appears on her mission to take out Clint. What did you want to accomplish in bringing in a character that most of the audience already has a relationship with, but your other characters don’t?
Bertie:
So much of “Hawkeye” is seeing the world through the characters’ point of view of it. So if we look at the end of [Episode 4], we are with Kate Bishop as she’s seeing this person, who she has no concept of who she is, actually, and how she’s going to fit into the story. But there’s this connection, and you can see and feel the presence of this new character. It’s actually a balance between what the audience feels about this character and what Kate’s feeling that makes that ending so special.

Bert: When you’re directing actresses like Florence and Hailee, they bring so much to it. There was this immediate natural chemistry between them, which — I can’t say anything else. But you know, when they give you that, it’s this gift, and all you want to do is take care of it and unwrap it slowly.

Hawkeye Director Promises Uncle Tease "Won't Leave Fans Hanging"
By ADAM BARNHARDT - December 9, 2021
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/hawkeye-uncle-tease-director-promises-reveal/ 

... According to Hawkeye directors Bert and Bertie, the uncle tease should be resolved before too long at all.

"[The filmmakers at] Marvel are experts are teasing things in their shows," Bert told us Wednesday when asked if fans would ever find out the identity of the uncle. "But they never leave you hanging."

She then started to smile and added, "for too long" before moving on to the next question.

Hawkeye Actor Speaks Out on Complicated Relationship Between Maya & Kazi (Exclusive)
By Matt Roembke    December 9, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/hawkeye-maya-kazi-exclusive 

In an exclusive interview with The Direct, Fra Fee, who plays Kazi in Disney+'s Hawkeye, opened up about Kazi’s history with Maya Lopez:

“I’ll be forgiven for saying this because I believe one of our writers had tweeted about it. But Kazi is actually at the karate class when Maya is there.”
“So they do have a very long history together. They find themselves in this surrogate family, ya know, the Tracksuit Mafia. I expect that it means a lot more to Kazi, the TSM.“
“It is only until Maya’s dad is killed that she uses their manpower to try and seek revenge. The TSM is extremely important to Kazi. It’s his life foundation. It’s all he knows.”
“So, whenever Maya manages to find herself above Kazi in the pecking order, that is a tough pill for him to swallow. But at the same time, they have this past together. And he is loyal to her.”
“There are feelings of respect and care and loyalty to her as well. And that’s where the real dynamic is really interesting. He is being dual loyalty.”

Enemies | Marvel Studios' Hawkeye | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Dec 9, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘Black Widow’ Post-Credit Scene Was Kept Secret from ‘Hawkeye’ Team (At First)
BY AARON COUCH     DECEMBER 11, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/why-hawkeye-team-was-not-told-of-black-widow-tie-in-at-first-1235061203/ 

When Marvel added that scene, the Hawkeye team was already writing Yelena into their show after head writer Jonathan Igla lobbied to include her in the series. One day, Igla got word from Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige that Black Widow would include a post-credit scene leading into Hawkeye, but he had to keep that to himself to preserve the secret as long as possible.

“There was a length of time where I wasn’t supposed to share it with the rest of the writing staff. There were a handful of things like that, which was challenging,” Igla tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I did my best. I like to think that I’m an honest broker and if somebody tells me not to share something, even if I think, ‘Well the writing staff really needs to know this,’ then I’m just going to trust their process …. I kept it under my hat for awhile.”

It turns out that secrecy was a two-way street. The ramifications of the scene were also kept from Black Widow screenwriter Eric Pearson. He told to write a scene in which Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) puts Yelena on the hunt for Clint Barton, but was not told why.

“They told me, ‘and then at the end, this is the target.’ And I was like, ‘What does that mean?’ They were like, ‘Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to know that,'” Pearson told THR in July. “I was like, ‘Who am I screwing over? Something is going on! I don’t have an answer for this.’ They were like, ‘You don’t need to. We are going to figure that out.’ “

Pearson even had some guilt, telling THR: “I remember writing it and feeling super guilty. ‘I hope whatever writer is working on this next chapter is going to be OK with what I’ve done to them.”
“I had made the case to Kevin and Lou [D’Esposito] and Victoria [Alonso] that Yelena had a place in our story and this was the right place for her next chapter. So I think the scene was created to support that,” says Igla. “Obviously, the rest of the writing staff knew we were building pitches around her as soon as I got the thumbs up.”

'Hawkeye': Fra Fee on Kazi's Driving Force, His Relationship With Maya, and How His Biggest Inner Conflict Will Play Out
BY CARLY LANE     DECEMBER 11, 2021
https://collider.com/hawkeye-fra-fee-kazi-interview-maya-conflict/ 

Collider: We get the sense of Kazi's relationship with Maya right away, and how he really kind of feels almost like her grounding energy or someone who can level her out, maybe when she's kind of wants to charge ahead and take action. So I'm curious, were there ever any conversations between you and Alaqua [Cox] about how to play that dynamic on screen?
FRA FEE: Yeah, for sure. We were very blessed to have had a lot of time to rehearse our scenes. I was immeasurably grateful for it because I had more time to learn the sign language. Which I was nervous about, initially, because I wanted to be proficient enough to make Kazi believable, fluent [in] sign language, communicator and interpreter. But what it meant that we got another gift was that we got to spend so much time together. You don't usually get to rehearse a lot on film or TV. So this was a real blessing. And it meant that we were able to discuss the characters, their motivations, and it is an utterly intriguing relationship. They've been in each other's lives for a long time. Kazi is there in the karate class, in karate, [the] same time as little Maya.

So they have a relationship, a familial relationship, and care very deeply about one another. Kazi, I suspect, would have imagined himself in a higher position in the organization than Maya. That has been his driving force all of his life. I'm not sure if it's been Maya's driving force all her life. But perhaps after the death of her father, she felt it useful to be in the organization and use that manpower to try and find out who did this. But it has always been Kazi's driving force.

So from going from this familial brother-sister setup to then feeling somewhat emasculated by Maya taking the position that he perhaps thinks is rightfully his, we've got a bit of conflict going on. And whereas Kazi was perhaps able to in the past calm Maya down and keep her level-headed, because he's a very cool collected cucumber, she is extremely reactive. You saw that when she goes for Kate Bishop, she's reactionary, impulsive. And that's dangerous in an organization like this, that is [a] criminal underbelly. They should be keeping a low profile, but Maya is absolutely finding her voice in this show. I think her quest for revenge is insatiable. And it'll be interesting to see if Kazi's able to do anything about that.
What appealed about the character to you in terms of how he's presented on the page? Because clearly, he has a comics history. We're not really delving into that yet. It feels like the show's focusing more on the relationships and building him from the ground up rather than being like, "Here's this comics person that you know." So was that a part of the appeal, or were there other components as well?
FEE: The appeal was just I'd play anything. I'd play anything in this Marvel world. I'm such a huge fan anyway. I didn't know anything about this character when I was auditioning for it. I still knew very little whenever I was cast, to tell you the truth, but I had read the Fraction comics that the series is based on, and yeah, very compelling. Super cool, brooding, sinister, sly, and all of those quite heightened things that we would associate with like a villainous character. But it's really wonderful how Marvel Studios have managed to take these villainous characters and give them a lot more depth. So there's a reason to be, and there's a reason to act in a certain way. We may not have explored fully this whole spectrum. We're trying to figure out what these motivations are and where Kazi's come from and how he's found himself to be in the position he's in, and what truly drives him. That's something that I loved exploring. And I hope the viewers enjoy watching it unfold in its sort of slow, beautiful way that we're doing.

You have a great scene with Jeremy Renner in this week's episode, the scene in the car. It's very brief, but there's some great humor that gets to play out. But I think that we also see a little bit of Kazi starting to feel conflicted with his dedication to Maya and wanting to help her. But then also there's the bigger picture that's at stake. So how is that going to play out through the rest of the season?
FEE: Well, yeah, you just hit the needle in the head. That's exactly what's going on. Kazi isn't as straightforward as just bad guy, and we'll do whatever he wants to get to the top. There clearly is a soul in there that has some sense of empathy, responsibility, and loyalty. And yeah, he's utterly conflicted with these two opposing factors. It'll be interesting to see if he manages to choose one over the other. Is it advantageous if he chooses one over the other for his own personal gain? It'll be really intriguing and interesting to see what actually happens.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2