Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've never understood a few things:

Why aren't they given sunscreen? My skin wouldn't last a day in a desert without protection from the sun.

Are they told they must build shelter and stay there until the last day?  Makes no sense to me when they can't find anything to eat or any water after several days that they don't decide to move on towards the extraction point.  Instead, they stay put, then on the day of extraction when they're in  a weakened condition, they have to cover several miles across dangerous swamps or thorn-covered jungle.  In their condition, it should take more than a day.....yet, they always make it or at least the remaining one does.  Seems pretty fake to me.

• Love 3

I just started watching here on the West Coast, did this asshole really just say that all blondes are morons? For all his big talk, he's not in very good shape, I was shocked when he took off his clothes.

I don't like him already.

• Love 1

Pretty repetitive episode...half of it was spent on them trying to start a fire and then sleeping in the cold. And the only thing they managed to catch was a baby snake :\

What a letdown after last week.

• Love 2

I personally think it is extremely irresponsible to have a Naked and Afraid episode in that environment.

If it can get down to 41 (think that was the lowest it got) with rain, it can get to or below freezing in those 21 days, which is a recipe for hypothermia, not to mention, that temperature plus rain is just TORTURE.

I agree though, kind of a boring episode. Nice that they worked well together and they were extremely positive.

Gotta respect they stuck it out. Hell, I have to heat our bathroom up to about 74-75 before I take a shower because I HATE stepping out of the shower to cold air.

And I was rooting for Monster...glad he "won". :)

• Love 4

Loved the Alabama episode!  The partners were respectful to one another, clever, hard working, and refrained from whining.  I was so happy to see them succeed.  

Hated the Canadian episode.  The man lost me with the blonde crack, and I'm not even blonde!  And I was so glad that little Monster outwitted them.  (Seriously, how can you call yourself a survival expert if you can be outwitted by a chipmunk?)  Monster was the high point of the episode.

• Love 2

....The man lost me with the blonde crack, and I'm not even blonde!... 

Another big shot survivalist humbled by his braggadocio in front of the cameras.  Has any other character on this show with had as robust a physique as he?

Her hunting skills were not displayed as they were promoted on the show either, although she was not talking about being 'a great blonde hunter'.  Tough talk and hate didn't put a chipmunk on the dinner table.  She really had a good attitude and used good judgement in front of the camera.  Her "Sorry Nana" message was pretty funny.

Good thing he came up with the moss strained water, 6 days without water would have sent a lot of people home after those frigid nights.  Sounded like the item provided by the show was a pot.

Glad to see less exotic locations this season like Canada and Alabama.  Personally, could not last for 21 days in my own backyard.

• Love 2

This episode should have been titled "Canadian Monster" with the details being:

The survivalists encounter the elusive Canadian Monster who taunts them by relentlessly pilfering their food supply.

Monster for the win!

Another good episode.

• Love 4

I'm glad the two contestants in Canada got along, but this was a pretty boring episode. The guy started out assy but ended up basically blah & the girl started out slightly annoying & was just as blah. I also don't care for the naked & hypothermia aspect. I prefer they get along & can do without the drama that often shows up so this episode gets good marks for that. However watching them shiver & jump around at night to stay safe is not tv I feel good about watching.

• Love 1

The guy with his blonde cracks made me seethe, and I'm a brunette. Then when he said that his partner "is the exception to the blonde rule..." he STILL THOUGHT "blondes are stupid" is a RULE? Also his ability to start fires sucked. They're in a temperate forest, FFS, and he can't get a friction fire started. Imagine if this guy was on a tropical island.

The butt message was funny but the editing was really screwy. On their supposed initial trek on day one, the message disappeared and reappeared a LOT.

• Love 2

The personal item that they bring is set up beforehand right? I just started watching the show and have only seen a handful of episodes but in all the ones I've seen one person brings a hatchet or machete and the other brings some type of fire starter.

Have two contestants ever brought the same item?

The personal item that they bring is set up beforehand right? I just started watching the show and have only seen a handful of episodes but in all the ones I've seen one person brings a hatchet or machete and the other brings some type of fire starter.

Have two contestants ever brought the same item?

I assume they either each really pick two items (not knowing which will be in the bag) or they have to rank a list of items. Either way, I don't think they're sure of what is in their bag until they look.

• Love 1
(edited)

Im catching up. (Watching King of the Forest now)    But as I was reading, I kept seeing "blonde crack." And well....my head went somewhere else. :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I liked this latest pair in the Amazon. Thought it was funny that the guy "hadn't seen a naked lady in 37 years." The girl was a bit whiny for a while there but I give her a pass because sleep deprivation can make you feel like you are literally going insane (I remember from when my baby was a newborn). In the end they both really pulled their weight when it counted.

• Love 2

I really liked when the guy from the Amazon episode (Jake??) said something to the effect that if you had told him there would be a naked lady sitting on his shoulders a month ago...then he made the most disgusted face and I have been trying to perfect. 

Hopefully on the extended or whatever version of the episode next Sunday before the new episode we can learn a little more about his  "possible malaria" he mentioned during the end credits. I was kind of worried that the girl in the episode (Muffy?? She seemed like a Muffy) had never seen the show before when she was so certain, and so let down, that they did not create their own paradise. 

• Love 2

He said he was a 'flaming homosexual', so probably didn't want to see naked ladies.  He was a fun guy and a hard worker.  Why didn't they whittle some sticks to a point and try spearing those fish?  They had no protein except for a few grubs.

• Love 1

He said he was a 'flaming homosexual', so probably didn't want to see naked ladies.  

Yeah...I thought maybe he hadn't seen the show before either, enough to understand that there would definitely be a naked lady. But when he said "flaming homosexual," I shouted "stop, drop and roll." Now I realize I could have made a much funnier fire-starter joke and that this is probably why The Boyfriend has stopped watching with me. :)

• Love 3

He said he was a 'flaming homosexual', so probably didn't want to see naked ladies.

Yeah, I picked up on that :-P I just thought it was amusing that he calculates that the last "naked lady" he saw was probably his mom when he was a newborn.

• Love 1

I think he said something like he hasn't seen a naked woman in 32 years. My homosexual male friend is never offended by a naked woman or a skimpily dressed one -at least. He appreciates the beauty in a woman as he does in a man.

I guess it's all individual perspective

• Love 1

Amazonia was a good episode.  Not certain they showed us all the eating that Jake and Jamie ate though, but Jake did lose a lot of weight.

He was about the most muscular character we have seen.  Really difficult to see these and others suffer with the cold nights.  She did not seem to bring much talent to the episode.  She had some sort of survival training, so I was hoping for more, but she did work on the shelter.

Jake was work-work-work the entire time, quite inspiring.  Although he was not satisfied with Jaimie's contributions during her low period, when she recovered and got the attitude back he was quite complimentary.

**After watching so many season and episodes they are running together in my mind.**

• Love 1

Why does the woman always get the map?

"Do you know where the waterfall is?"

"Tarzan knows"

Everyone is talk until the rubber meets the road.

Instead of relying on ONE way to make a fire, Go pick up a book and learn how to make a fire a few different ways.

Kwtiyerbitchin?

I can tell you that I'd be out in the park killing squirrels and rabbits all day long if I was going on the show.

The dogs next door would be kinda tasty.......I kid.

• Love 1

I kept thinking Jake the horse trainer from the Amazonia episode seemed familiar and sure enough he was on Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment in 2009. He made it to the end there too as I recall. 

• Love 1
(edited)

CROATIA:   Lee & Stacey.

Admit it, when Stacey pulled that knife out of her bag, how many of you wanted 'Aussie Lee to say..........

"That's not a knife...........This is a knife"   ;-p

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 2

I felt so bad for Stacey. That burn looked awful and she was a trooper for trying to stay, but it was smart to go. Lee was awesome, totally badass and seemed very knowledgeable. Glad he made it by himself!

• Love 5

I think she would have made it if not for the burn. Lee was going a little crazy- so would I- all those days alone and they didn't show him eating anything. They were a good team. Lee was very skillful

• Love 2

I missed the introductions this episode so I was really wondering exactly what skills Stacey was bringing to the table because she really didn't show much, other than having a great attitude.  I did feel bad for that freak burn accident - I can't imagine how much pain she was in (were they just lucky to have that great camera view?).  When the medic stressed the importance of keeping the wound clean I was wondering exactly how she expected that to happen.  She was wise to end when she did. 

The mosquito swarms, the screaming jackals all night - Yikes! 

• Love 2

I missed the introductions this episode so I was really wondering exactly what skills Stacey was bringing to the table because she really didn't show much, other than having a great attitude.  I did feel bad for that freak burn accident - I can't imagine how much pain she was in (were they just lucky to have that great camera view?).  When the medic stressed the importance of keeping the wound clean I was wondering exactly how she expected that to happen.  She was wise to end when she did. 

The mosquito swarms, the screaming jackals all night - Yikes! 

Stacey is a biologist and supposedly an expert on plants, which would definitely have been helpful :) Speaking of missing things, my DVR cut off (ALWAYS, but I digress) so was there an update on her at the end?

I don't believe there was an update/homecoming segment for Stacey. That burn was terrible and she was wise to go home.  You don't want to mess with the possibility of an infection, even under the best of circumstances.  She kept saying she wanted to stay in the "game" for her kids, but at what cost?

Seems like they changed the PSR indicator noise; in past seasons, it would wake my dog up from a deep sleep and she'd start barking.  No big deal, but I'm always happy to let sleeping dogs lie.  

• Love 1

Just watched Stacy and Lee in Croatia.  Am really enjoying the locations this season, Alabama, Canada, Croatia....  I would not have guessed the problems these locations offered, and it offers a great deal of diversity to the locations they are offering us.

I wonder why they aren't given robes when they are picked at the extraction site ? Why not have robes on the boat for them ?

I noticed one of the guys on the boat quickly handed Lee a towel to cover up after he stood there on the boat doing a cheer with his sausage in the air. :-p

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

Just watched Aaron and Kacie in Belize. They worked well together but I never got the feeling that they had bonded emotionally like most do - I know Kacie said they became friends but it wasn't the closeness I have seen in other pairings.

The shoes they made for the extraction walk were awesome!

• Love 2

It seems like casting went in a different direction this season.

We are getting couples that get along and actually stick it out (obviously the one who got burned had a legit excuse for leaving).

I hope it stays this way...I just don't enjoy seeing people like Honora on the show.

So on a pet peeve note...

Why do the women always start and end with a lower PSR than the men? This last episode was a great example. He started and ended with a PSR 1+ higher. Why? She seemed to do most of the work chopping the tree down, she started the fire, it was her net that allowed them to catch fish, she didn't at any point (that we saw) want to leave. Not saying he did anything wrong, but, if they had to stay there another two weeks, I bet she would make it and he wouldn't. So how does he have a higher PSR rating?

Think they need to just get rid of the PSR crap if it doesn't actually mean anything.

• Love 7

I don't think the rating means anything to the viewers.  Seriously, do these people who have often lived through hell with all the bug bites, nearly starving not get any compensation if they remain for the entire two or three weeks?  

• Love 1

They constantly talk of needing some "protein" in this show. Would a starving female ever consider some sperm in a real case scenario with no cameras?? Just asking.

Nope. The amount you'd get wouldn't calorically be worth the "work" the guy (or girl) puts in to get it. 

• Love 1

Please note the site has few rules; we ask that you are civil towards other posters, and there are a few words that are absolutely not allowed.

We also have an ignore option; to use this, click on the little person icon next to your blue "My Shows" button;

Y4dYi8H.png

Pick the "Manage Ignore Prefs" option, add the user's name you wish to ignore, pick what you want to ignore (options include Posts and Messages; the Signature and Chat options are already disabled on this site), and click "Save Changes."

Please note; you cannot ignore Administrators or Moderators, and we cannot ignore any poster. Also, if someone quotes someone you ignore, the quote will show up in their post.

Let's please be respectful to each other. Thanks.

• Love 4

Just saw "Surthrive" with Bo and Debbie in Guyana. It was a pretty good pairing. Bo seemed to know what he was doing and came planned with a mosquito/fishing net. He got a little bossy at first and she wasn't feeling it, but he adapted. I don't watch this show much, but it seems like the military people do the best on this show (barring an injury of some sort).

Edited by 27bored

I saw the episode with Jeremy and Cassidy on that island in the Philippines. They were a great team but they didn't have a prayer. That place had no sustainable water supply. They should at least give teams a fighting chance. BTW, why did he bring fishing line yet never use it?

• Love 1

Tonight - Karen and Matt - I think

It was a good episode. Trapping, snaring, unsuccessful sling shots and skunks

I can't believe they ate a skunk and then an iguana. They were both so thin to begin with. Glad he became a team player. Karen is awesome for age 51

• Love 4

I'm not sure which episode, maybe last weeks, a blonde chick and guy with long hair, they were soaping each other and in the evening the blonde was cold and wanted him on top of her ? Anyone think those two had sex ?....

Tonight - Karen and Matt - I think

It was a good episode. Trapping, snaring, unsuccessful sling shots and skunks

I can't believe they ate a skunk and then an iguana. They were both so thin to begin with. Glad he became a team player. Karen is awesome for age 51

When the episode began showing how chauvinistic he was and how much of a "girl power" attitude she had, I thought this was going to be the first episode of the season featuring a couple that clashed with one another.  But it all worked out!  It was interesting that both of them showed moments of wanting to tap out but they still made it.  I also wondered if this was going to be the first episode where the couple makes it to Day 21 but taps out before they get to the end!  And wow, that slingshot proved to be the dumbest (almost, I guess Honora's magnifying glass was THE dumbest) item.  They showed him using it once (fail), then he was wearing it as a necklace.  Whatever. 

They always show the couples apparently randomly picking their burlap bags at the beginning.  Yet, it always seems as if the woman gets the map in her bag.  Is that a nod to the old "men never ask directions" cliché?

• Love 4

The slingshot was definitely top 3 most useless items ever on the show. Ranked:

1) Honora's magnifying glass, which had only one use (time-consuming water purification) that wasn't even necessary (water was safe to drink). It could have started fires, too, I guess, if the national park they were at allowed fires.

2) Matt's slingshot, which requires expert ability to be useful, which he did not have. 

3) That one dude who brought swim goggles, despite being unable to swim/terrified of the water. I think his partner ended up successfully using the goggles at some point, but he surely did not.

• Love 2