Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Beginning of the End

• Start Topic

I can't help but feel sorry for Piper and her struggling on the outside of prison.

My poor Red is not doing well, either.

Shit, what is Alex going to do now that Daddy is dead? Very poor timing. What will the guard do to her if she can't get the $1,500 for the drugs?

Badison still sucks and is annoying. So glad she got sent to the SHU. Go away!

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

I can't help but feel sorry for Piper and her struggling on the outside of prison.

My poor Red is not doing well, either.

Shit, what is Alex going to do now that Daddy is dead? Very poor timing. What will the guard do to her if she can't get the $1,500 for the drugs?

Badison still sucks and is annoying. So glad she got sent to the SHU. Go away!

If Alex is lucky, maybe Daddy had already transferred the half upfront that she’d agreed to. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch further. I am annoyed by this depressing slog. This used to be a comedy, right? Or at least a dramedy? Now it's just an exercise in seeing how much these characters can be kicked.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 14

What was with the narration? That was so out of place. Especially the freeze frame on Alex.

The scene where the guard forced Alex to swallow the drugs was so uncomfortable. Soo...did Daya lace the hooch with heroin? At first I thought yes, but then her reaction to the guard telling her Daddy was dead seemed to shock her.

Very poor start to the season, IMO. No Fig, Caputo, Flaca, Blanca, etc and barely any of the other minor characters. I know they have so many characters they can't fit everyone in anymore, but I feel like the first episode should have a little more catch-up.

"Thunder Thais" and "stomp that ho!" were two gems.

• Love 11

As someone who really likes this show when it focuses on Piper and Alex I thought their storyline was really well done.  All that work they both did and all it cost both of them just to see each other and they had nothing to say because they didn’t want to worry each other.  Things really are different now.

i really liked the conversation between Doggett and Suzanne.  Whoever Taystee was before she isn’t that person anymore.  Doggett was right she herself has actually gotten better in prison but most people go get worse.

The woman looking for drugs was not subtle. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 7/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, ShortyMac said:

The curfew is the real killer there because she'd be able to work 2 jobs or get those later shifts. I'm not surprised it's hard to get back into society, but having to pay the PO for the monitoring makes it even harder.

• Love 13
On 7/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, Miles said:

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch further. I am annoyed by this depressing slog. This used to be a comedy, right? Or at least a dramedy? Now it's just an exercise in seeing how much these characters can be kicked.

I'm still watching it just for posterity but yeah, I feel the same way.

• Love 5

Its good to hear that this season has at least a few lighter or kinder moments, because this episode really didn't make me excited to watch more, even if its the last season. If this is it, just a depressing slougue where everyone is miserable and/or awful for a whole season, I am not really interested. Its like Suzanne's speech about how Taystee used to smile all of the time but now she is always frowning and sad, its like she is talking about the show at large. This show always had a lot of darkness and tragedy and lessons about injustice, but it also could be funny and sweet and life affirming and it humanized people that society tries to dehumanize. This episode was just depressing.

I admit, I do feel sorry for Piper, who is trying so hard to follow the rules and is struggling so much on the outside. Her flack-backs to how blissful her pre-prison life were compared to now really were quite heartbreaking, and her and Alex trying to keep things going even while Alex is still in jail is probably the best stuff they've gotten in ages. Having to pay for your own check ins after leaving jail just seems so utterly ridiculous and unfair.

9 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Daddy's death sure was unceremonious. I wish Badison could have gone out like that in the first episode instead.

PREACH! Daddy's death really did just happen out of nowhere especially after she got a decent amount of build up last season,, and GOD do I wish Badison would go the same way. When Alex saw her and was like "Oh crap its you" that was my reaction exactly.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Having to pay for your own check ins after leaving jail just seems so utterly ridiculous and unfair.

It's part of the "If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime" thing.  Having to report to a parole or probation officer is a privilege because you were granted parole (in Piper's case unsolicited early release) or probation.  You have to accept responsibility for your crime.  Otherwise, it's another burden on taxpayers.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I wish Badison would go the same way. When Alex saw her and was like "Oh crap its you" that was my reaction exactly.

I had somehow blocked Badison out and completely forgot that she existed, so when she popped up again, I had the same reaction.

• Love 5

Was that the same actor playing Piper's father? The actor who plays Larry has always rubbed me the wrong way but it did go to show Piper's life really changed going to jail. I hope they keep Suzanne to a minimum this season, there are so many better characters to see on this show. Except Badison is still the worst.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I'm not so sure about the burden on taxpayers. If you make it too hard for an ex-convict to make it after prison, he or she is just going to end up back in prison. That would be more of a burden on taxpayers then if the ex-convict was able to get and keep a job and keep up with their bills. In that case, he or she would be a taxpayer themselves rather than a drain on the system. So basically, the investment in the ex-convict would cost the taxpayers less in the long run.

Same thing with feeding the prisoners absolute garbage food (as we saw in later seasons). Yeah, prison isn't supposed to be comfy, but by feeding them unhealthy garbage to save money, they cost the taxpayers more money in healthcare in the long run. 

Not a lot of people really think this stuff through to its logical conclusion. 

• Love 21
7 hours ago, kieyra said:

Same thing with feeding the prisoners absolute garbage food (as we saw in later seasons). Yeah, prison isn't supposed to be comfy, but by feeding them unhealthy garbage to save money, they cost the taxpayers more money in healthcare in the long run. 

Not a lot of people really think this stuff through to its logical conclusion. 

Who are the people you are referring to?

The inmates are serving time as part of the justice system.  I believe that while they are in the government's custody, they deserve to be treated humanely, including adequate health care, including mental health care, and nutritious and adequate food.

• Love 7

The intro sequence in which Piper's brother was working on infant elimination training reminded me that I'd be happier in Litchfield than living with him in his zero waste home.

I can understand why Piper's dad is so disappointed - his son is nuts, and his daughter just got out of jail and her priority is reuniting with the woman who led her to a life of crime.

• Love 4

I had somehow blocked Badison out and completely forgot that she existed, so when she popped up again, I had the same reaction.

God yes, I forgot how much I hate that character.

I've forgotten: why were Gloria and Red in solitary?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought Red went down last season when she was going to see her grandchild but saw Frieda on the way and attacked her. 

That's right! And Gloria went down because Alvarez caught her looking at the COs' inmate fantasy draft/points. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I've watched every season except for the last one. I stopped about three episodes in because I just couldn't take the unrelenting brutality and hopelessness these women were facing. When I started this show, it was a mixture of hope and despair and laughter and tears. I really enjoyed the first several seasons. I decided to read the comments on the first episode because I wasn't sure whether I wanted to watch this last season. I do want to see how these characters end up so I guess I'm going to give it a try.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:30 PM, CrystalBlue said:

It's part of the "If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime" thing.  Having to report to a parole or probation officer is a privilege because you were granted parole (in Piper's case unsolicited early release) or probation.  You have to accept responsibility for your crime.  Otherwise, it's another burden on taxpayers.

Getting a couple more Likes (Surprise and Sad Face) reminds me of something I personally observed as a crime victim which resulted in financial loss and hardship to me.  The perpetrator of the crime paid no restitution as ordered by court and skated by violating his probation (until he was arrested again, of course).  So, yeah, pay for your own probation or parole costs when you're out.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/pennsylvania-judges-sentencing-people-on-probation-for-debts-they-can/article_6a88a176-ee89-11e9-aacb-931b34f41805.html

Hudson’s case illustrates a reality for hundreds of people on probation or parole across Pennsylvania: Failure to keep up with court-ordered payments remains a common reason for judges to revoke supervision and impose more probation, more parole, or even more incarceration, keeping people under court control for years on end.

“It’s an ongoing, systemic problem,” said Andrew Christy, an attorney with the ACLU of Pennsylvania. He wrote, in an amicus brief in Hudson’s case, that the practice “turned Pennsylvania’s jails into a form of modern debtors’ prisons.”

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2