Type keyword(s) to search

Movie remakes and sequels you'd like to see

• Start Topic

1. Alien 6(?) Anyway, the one after Covenant. Walter rebuilds himself and then repairs the Engineers ship and sets off in pursuit of David and his creations. However he discovers the Engineers may not be as dead as everyone thought.... 

2. Mad Max 5- Max stumbles across a city powered by nuclear submarines (in the aftermath of a nuclear war NATO subs were supposed to head there) and sets off to lead the feral kids from pt3 to there. But he discovers an old enemy has beaten him to it....

3.  HEAT; Val Kilmer's character returns to break his now adult son out of prison and put together a team for one big score that will allow them to put their life of crime behind them. Al Pacino's Vincent Hanna, now retired from the LAPD and working as a private detective pursues him to the frustration of his step daughter who is now an FBI agent working on the case. 

• Love 4

Most remakes are terrible but there are some exceptions, Heat, The Thing, The Fly, NOTLD.

For me, Maniac Cop, maybe combine the first 2 movies into one. And don't remake Jaws but digitally remaster it so the shark looks real. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Even though he, and probably Adam, as well,  are getting a little too old for the roles, I think a remake of When Harry Met Sally with Chris Pratt as Harry, Anna Kendrick as Sally, and Jennifer Lawrence and Adam Driver as their friends would be a lot of fun. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

I would like to see "Eddie and the Cruisers" & this time do it right. It's always felt like one of those movies that could have been great, but they screwed something up.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, Danny Franks said:

I'd love to see The Longest Day remade, using modern film-making techniques, effects, and an all-star cast in mostly non-showy roles.

No, I think Saving Private Ryan covered that and you just couldn't get that epic cast any more. 

• Love 3

Ripe for a remake 'The Last Man on Planet Earth', a very bad TV movie where germ warfare has wiped out every man on the planet and we have a society of women who reproduce by cloning embryos and using IVF. Then a scientist creates a man who is incapable of violence. 

Bad movie (even though it has Veronica Cartwright) but great premise, what would an all female society be like?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Ripe for a remake 'The Last Man on Planet Earth', a very bad TV movie where germ warfare has wiped out every man on the planet and we have a society of women who reproduce by cloning embryos and using IVF. Then a scientist creates a man who is incapable of violence. 

Bad movie (even though it has Veronica Cartwright) but great premise, what would an all female society be like?

There's a comic called Y the Last Man, which has a similar premise. Some kind of virus wipes out all men except one.

9 minutes ago, Anduin said:

There's a comic called Y the Last Man, which has a similar premise. Some kind of virus wipes out all men except one.

And there's going to be a tv series based on that comic.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

No, I think Saving Private Ryan covered that and you just couldn't get that epic cast any more. 

Saving Private Ryan covered a fraction of it - the Omaha beach landing - then moved forward by some weeks to tell the rest of its story. A story told exclusively from (surprise, surprise) the American point of view.

The Longest Day is about that one day of June 6th 1944, and shows all the beach landings, the paratrooper and glider drops, the air campaign and some of the German response.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

I remember that movie.  I think it had the actress who plays Clair on Modern Family as the scientist who creates the man but I could be remembering wrong.   

There was another terrible tv movie Island City that had a premise that could be more interesting in the right hands.   It’s a world where people invented a drug that stops aging but there’s a horrible side effect so that a lot of people who took the drug ended up mutating.  So there’s a futuristic city where people who either were immune to the side effect or choose not to take the drug live and are trying to survive.   They have people go on missions to find humans who survived the break down of society and save them from the mutants.   There was a married couple where the woman took the drug and the husband didn’t and he’s struggling with looking older while his wife still looks young.  There was also a guy who was half human and half mutant who struggled to be accepted by the people of the city.  There was also these jewels that were attached to people’s chests that made it clear which people were genetically compatible to conceive children to prevent conception of more mutants.  One guy’s jewel had a color no woman matched and so was struggling to find someone who would date him.  This was supposed to be a tv show, but it wasn’t picked up.  So the network released the pilot as a tv movie.

There was another tv movie that was really a pilot for a show called 3 Inches.  I really liked the premise.  The lead was a guy who after getting struck by lighting had the power to move objects with his mind but only a distance of 3 inches.  He feels his power is useless until a guy recruits him to join his team.   His limited telekinesis is great for opening locks on doors and safes.  I liked the idea of people having powers that might be considered lame and people finding creative ways to use them.  One guys superpower was making rooms stink which could be useful to the team for diversions.  The team was a mix of people with and without powers.  I think it had potential and was sad it was left as a tv movie because there was more story to tell.   I think the premise would work really well as a film in theaters.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, Luckylyn said:

There was another terrible tv movie Island City that had a premise that could be more interesting in the right hands.   It’s a world where people invented a drug that stops aging but there’s a horrible side effect so that a lot of people who took the drug ended up mutating.  So there’s a futuristic city where people who either were immune to the side effect or choose not to take the drug live and are trying to survive.   They have people go on missions to find humans who survived the break down of society and save them from the mutants.   There was a married couple where the woman took the drug and the husband didn’t and he’s struggling with looking older while his wife still looks young.  There was also a guy who was half human and half mutant who struggled to be accepted by the people of the city.  There was also these jewels that were attached to people’s chests that made it clear which people were genetically compatible to conceive children to prevent conception of more mutants.  One guy’s jewel had a color no woman matched and so was struggling to find someone who would date him.  This was supposed to be a tv show, but it wasn’t picked up.  So the network released the pilot as a tv movie.

Ooh!  I remember seeing that!  I thought it seemed like a pilot that never got greenlit.  I also remember the sister of one of the survivors who was somehow living in the desert on her own and lusted after one of the handsome guys but her jewel was the wrong color, and he of course was relieved!

I wouldn't mind seeing this one get a remake.

On 7/23/2019 at 2:13 AM, Anduin said:

great premise, what would an all female society be like?

For some reason, I keep thinking of that joke Drew Carey used to tell about this scenario:

Britain's PM called the US President:

PM"Help Help!!  This is England!  Why are we being invaded??"

US President: "Oh!  You KNOW why!!"

In a similar vein, I also think a remake of America 3000 might be entertaining.  The film was a post apocalyptic story in which women ended up ruling the world and men were enslaved by them.  A literal battle of the sexes ensues until man and woman learn to love one another again.   

I used to wonder about a remake of "One Million Years BC", (since the 1966 film we know is actually a remake of the 1940 film) but I fear the CGI dinosaurs might get too grating - unless it's on the level of the dinos used in the first "Jurassic Park".  It could be an old fashioned popcorn film in the right hands.  Who would fit a doe skin bikini like Raquel Welch?  Or be a great Rock Tribe hero like John Richardson?  

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I always thought there should be a St. Elmo's Fire remake set against the financial crisis and election year of 2008.

Careful what you wish for https://www.slashfilm.com/st-elmos-fire-tv-series-remake-nbc/

On 7/21/2019 at 7:01 PM, GaT said:

I would like to see "Eddie and the Cruisers" & this time do it right. It's always felt like one of those movies that could have been great, but they screwed something up.

I haven't seen the original in years, no idea if it holds up but, I loved it. What do you think they did wrong and could improve upon? I'm ignoring the sequel which sucked.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I haven't seen the original in years, no idea if it holds up but, I loved it. What do you think they did wrong and could improve upon? I'm ignoring the sequel which sucked.

Agree about the sequel, it sucked big time. I just thought there was something missing from the original, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it was the acting? It just always seemed like a story that had tons of potential, but just missed.

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Agree about the sequel, it sucked big time. I just thought there was something missing from the original, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it was the acting? It just always seemed like a story that had tons of potential, but just missed.

I agree on the acting and, they probably could have handled the dual timeline story better.  As I recall some of the transitions to the flashbacks were a little clunky.  I remember the first time I watched (and I was a kid) I was confused with the flashback to Wendell's death.    

On 7/21/2019 at 6:11 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

1. Alien 6(?) Anyway, the one after Covenant. Walter rebuilds himself and then repairs the Engineers ship and sets off in pursuit of David and his creations. However he discovers the Engineers may not be as dead as everyone thought.... 

Do we ever arrive at friggin LV-426 in your movie? If so, I'll see it every day the week it premieres and twice on Sunday. 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Shannon L. said:

Even though he, and probably Adam, as well,  are getting a little too old for the roles, I think a remake of When Harry Met Sally with Chris Pratt as Harry, Anna Kendrick as Sally, and Jennifer Lawrence and Adam Driver as their friends would be a lot of fun. 

I'd love to watch this cast in a movie, although I hate seeing beloved movies get rebooted or sequalized. 

A sequel to The Shawshank Redemption. Are Andy and Red lovers, or they just old friends who are tired of each other after all of those years of stripping sail boats in Mexico?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, I feel like the one I had in my head is better. LOL.

I do think the remake will probably make the Andrew McCarthy character gay, and they'll make one of the characters black. My guess is Emilio Estevez's character because he's the least important character to the group and the most disconnected from the larger narrative. (Wait, am I being too cynical?)

Wouldn't it be kind of impossible for a social worker in her early 20's to be able to afford her own apartment in modern-day Washington, D.C. even if she had no student loan debt due to her parents being rich? You could say her parents helped, but that goes against Mare's character, who really wanted to do it on her own.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2019 at 6:11 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

Covenant had its problems, but I enjoyed it enough that I'd love to see this sequel too.

I'm disappointed that we never got sequels to Salt or The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, and that there hasn't been any news on a follow-up to Spy.

• Love 3

I don't necessarily want to see this remade but if they decide to do The Graduate in the next 2-3 years, they need to at least consider Tom Holland for the new Benjamin.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Covenant had its problems, but I enjoyed it enough that I'd love to see this sequel too.

I'm disappointed that we never got sequels to Salt or The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, and that there hasn't been any news on a follow-up to Spy.

I'd do anything for a Spy sequel.  Anything. 

• Love 6
On 8/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, krankydoodle said:

I loved Angelina Jolie in Salt and would rush to see her in the sequel if someone came up with a good story. 

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, kiddo82 said:

I don't necessarily want to see this remade but if they decide to do The Graduate in the next 2-3 years, they need to at least consider Tom Holland for the new Benjamin.

And Kate Beckinsale as Mrs. Robinson.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
On 7/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, Luckylyn said:

There was another terrible tv movie Island City

I just found that movie and rewatched it.  Cheesy as hell, but I nearly died when I realized the lead role was played by none other than Kevin Conroy!!!!  One of the other characters was played by Eric McCormack (before landing his role in "Will & Grace").

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I just found that movie and rewatched it.  Cheesy as hell, but I nearly died when I realized the lead role was played by none other than Kevin Conroy!!!!  One of the other characters was played by Eric McCormack (before landing his role in "Will & Grace").

It’s on YouTube!  I’m gonna rewatch it.  I haven’t seen it in so many years.  I wonder if it’s better or worse than I remember.

51 minutes ago, magicdog said:

So, what's the verdict?

I remembered the basic concept well but I had forgotten a few things like Eric Mccormack being one of many clones.  I also forgot how strict the fertility rules were.  I remembered that people wore stones whose color showed who they were compatible to have kids with but forgot that it was illegal to have sex with someone whose color did not match yours.  It’s weird how the tech is so advanced on one level using the phone to transport people from one area of the city to the other but then the tech is conveniently terrible in other ways with vaccines that only last 48 hours.  Also it got me thinking about how it was possible that the genetic mutation was so rampant but wasn’t discovered before the youth drug hit the market.  Plus a drug that stops aging would probably be crazy expensive so it’s hard to buy that most of the population was exposed.  I basically started overthinking it.  It’s an interesting concept that could be a compelling show with the right writers.  I still think a redo with better special  effects could be a good show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

It’s weird how the tech is so advanced on one level using the phone to transport people from one area of the city to the other but then the tech is conveniently terrible in other ways with vaccines that only last 48 hours.  

Plus, it was never explained why the landscape was so barren or what was causing those storms they kept avoiding!

• Love 2

Plus, it was never explained why the landscape was so barren or what was causing those storms they kept avoiding!

IIRC it was a Pilot they turned into a TV Movie because it never got picked up to series. I think the storms and landscape would have eventually come into play.

I actually remembered that movie (although didn't recognize the name). It had some good concepts for the 90s. I remember the marriage between the 'young' woman whose husband didn't take the drug and aged normally. There was also the controlled marriage (could only be with someone compatible). 

I couldn't remember the deal with the cromag team member. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I couldn't remember the deal with the cromag team member

He was the product of a rape - his mother was human kidnapped by a mutant.  She was raped and impregnated before escaping.  If the show had gone to series, I'm curious if we could have learned if she kept and raised him or abandoned him.  

49 minutes ago, magicdog said:

He was the product of a rape - his mother was human kidnapped by a mutant.  She was raped and impregnated before escaping.  If the show had gone to series, I'm curious if we could have learned if she kept and raised him or abandoned him.  

Oh wow, that's pretty deep for storytelling/character arc. 

• Love 1

I also felt really sorry for him because people were hating him for being half mutant and he had a black stone which no one matched.    Now that I think about it the show didn’t even consider same sex pairings.   The color matching law shouldn’t apply to same sex couples who can’t get each other pregnant but the show acts like same sex couples don’t exist.  So Eric Mccormack assumes his new half mutant friend must be a virgin because he has a black stone that doesn’t match any other woman. The show acts like a woman would be his only option for companionship.  I suppose the heteronormative assumptions are a product of being made in the 90s.  

Plus the half mutant was more anti mutant than the others.  He wants to kill the mutants during the battle and his commander wants only to sedate them.  That self hatred would have been interesting to explore.  I really need a modern take on this show’s concept.  There were so many ideas that could have been explored in a series.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

The color matching law shouldn’t apply to same sex couples who can’t get each other pregnant but the show acts like same sex couples don’t exist.  So Eric Mccormack assumes his new half mutant friend must be a virgin because he has a black stone that doesn’t match any other woman. The show acts like a woman would be his only option for companionship.  I suppose the heteronormative assumptions are a product of being made in the 90s.  

I would assume it was a product of the 90s as well, especially since reproductive options weren't as common then as they are now.

I ended up watching this last night, it was cheesy but, had potential. Can you imagine a remake now with all the dark storylines they had available to them? It would be BSG on crack...I love it!

Side note, Kevin Conroy is good looking, has a nice body and, not a bad actor.  I don't know why he was more successful as a Voice Actor but, since he's the Best Batman, I'm kind of thankful for that.

Side Note 2: I don't know why I thought tjete was something shady with the Doctor's sister. I had it in my head that she was a spy or something. Turns out she was just the horny comic relief.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Plus the half mutant was more anti mutant than the others.  He wants to kill the mutants during the battle and his commander wants only to sedate them.  That self hatred would have been interesting to explore.  I really need a modern take on this show’s concept.  There were so many ideas that could have been explored in a series.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I wonder if the self hatred came from being raised in a society that automatically viewed him as a freak and, with fear/hatred? Did it come from his "mother" did she raise him while hating him? Or did it simply come from his own physiology? He said that he was in a constant state of physical pain.

Kevin Conroy wanted to spare them out of guilt and perhaps hope? Apparently his father created the Eternal Youth Drug which resulted in some people becoming mutants/recessives. He argued that recessive were once human. Perhaps he believed science could "save" them?

Of course this brings up a host of questions. The matching colors was to make sure children wouldn't end up recessive. But do the children stop aging or will they grow old while their parents stay young? Will they still give the children the youth drug or realize that society has limits since the outside world is inhospitable.

So many good questions. So much potential for a dark storyline. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

But do the children stop aging or will they grow old while their parents stay young?

I also wondered about this.  I would think perhaps the offspring of those who took the youth serum may naturally stop aging when they hit their intended physical maturity;   this would make sense since TPTB don't want to risk them having offspring of their own that would turn recessive when they have children.  Of course this also leads to issues like when do people "die" of natural causes?  

On 8/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, topanga said:

Do we ever arrive at friggin LV-426 in your movie? If so, I'll see it every day the week it premieres and twice on Sunday. 

I'd love to watch this cast in a movie, although I hate seeing beloved movies get rebooted or sequalized. 

A sequel to The Shawshank Redemption. Are Andy and Red lovers, or they just old friends who are tired of each other after all of those years of stripping sail boats in Mexico?

Absolutely, in the final shot.  

Rambo 6

Federal agent William Teasdale Jr heads to an Arizona Indian reservation where 'The Ghost' has been ripping off drug dealers and leaving them for the tribal police, despite his sister and father urging him not to, convinced that it is the now fugitive John Rambo. Meanwhile lawyer Samantha Trautman tries to convince him to give himself in but when the vengeful cartels kidnap her Rambo and Teasdale team up to rescue her.  

I wanna see a remake or remakes of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe movies with Channing Tatum as Marlowe.  I can see Dave Bautista as the big guy in Murder, My Sweet and either Brie Larson and Scarlett Johannson as the elder sister in The Big Sleep.  

• Love 1

2015's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a pleasant surprise and I wish it had done well enough to give us a sequel. Armie Hammer and Alicia Vikander were great together, as were Hammer and Henry Cavill. Plus it had a fun Hugh Grant performance.

And I know he's busy with the John Wick movies and the Matrix revival, but I'd like to see Keanu Reeves do another Constantine movie. It had its flaws, but I enjoyed it and would love to see Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton in those roles again. It probably helps that I don't know much about the source material so wasn't bothered by any liberties the movie took.

• Love 7
On 10/25/2019 at 3:08 PM, krankydoodle said:

Keanu Reeves do another Constantine movie. It had its flaws, but I enjoyed it and would love to see Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton in those roles again. It probably helps that I don't know much about the source material so wasn't bothered by any liberties the movie took.

Agreed. Keanu loved that role. He has said that he'd come back for a sequel, but WB owns it and it'll be difficult any momentum to make a sequel. The movie wasn't well received enough critically and I don't think it did as well as they hoped in the box office. I also liked the cast a lot.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, krankydoodle said:

And I know he's busy with the John Wick movies and the Matrix revival, but I'd like to see Keanu Reeves do another Constantine movie. It had its flaws, but I enjoyed it and would love to see Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton in those roles again. It probably helps that I don't know much about the source material so wasn't bothered by any liberties the movie took.

I really like Constantine, and thought Keanu Reeves was actually a good fit for the character (at least, an Americanised version, I have no loyalty to the original). He's good at taciturn and sullen, he's good at cold. And I think he and Rachel Weisz work well together.

Then there's the supporting cast - the two you mentioned and Djimon Hounsou, who is an actor I've always really liked.

The movie is properly creepy and grimy, creating a world that looked and felt like there was a demonic underworld, pressed right up to our reality.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

I wish they remade the 50s series The Rifleman as a movie starring Jacob Tremblay and Brad Pitt in those roles. Jacob does bare a strong similarity to Johnny Crawford and I could see that happening. I know it is hard to top that series due to the father son chemistry between Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford, but if done right I could see it happening. I am surprised no one in Hollywood thought that up.

• Love 1

There are some movies I'd love to see remade but I just don't trust the current Hollywood climate to do it justice!

Ideally, I'd like to see a movie series based on Jean Auel's Earth Children series (beginning with Clan of the Cave Bear) and see Ayla grow from an adoptee of Neanderthals to learning how to survive on her own, meeting her own people (Cro Magnon), as she comes into her own.  There was   supposed to be a TV series based on the books (with Ron Howard as one of the EPs) but after dropping a trailer several years back, nothing happened.  I don't know why.

I also wouldn't mind seeing another update of One Million Years BC (originally made in 1940 then remade into the better known version in 1966).  I do insist the dinos be on the level of what we got in the original Jurassic Park, as crappy CGI would only ruin the aesthetic.  You could get a great popcorn film with this!!

I wouldn't mind a big screen adaptation of a couple of short lived TV shows that had promise:

Automan and Street Hawk.  Automan in particular considering how far computer technology has come.

I also definitely want to see a reboot of Green Hornet (which was botched by Seth Rogan back in 2011).    

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1