Type keyword(s) to search

Daytime Emmys: This Year, It's Actually on TV…Oops, Spoke Too Soon

• Start Topic

I stand by what I said before of the entire Emmys this year being a joke (and BC still being the cherry on the shit sundae!). Still, that all said, and for as little as it means these days, I was actually kind of glad Mary Beth Evans took home an Emmy.

It makes me remember her heyday as Kayla (with Stephen Nichols' Steve) in the '80s and she always put her all into it. It reminds me when Days wasn't a complete joke (much like GH now).

I know Kassie DePaiva is popular here, but I find her hammy as all hell. She makes me think of that old Jon Lovitz SNL skit with "achting!!!", so I was fine with her not winning. But hey, tomato, tomahto.

• Love 3

I was rooting for Finola or Kassie but I was glad for Evans too. Plus it was just cute how happy her win (and Tyler's) made Stephen Nichols. 

• Love 8

You know what I hate about this Emmy wins. It's not that Rebecca Herbst has become the Alfie Allan of General Hospital while I scratch my head at what Sean Blackmore did to beat out everyone else for an Emmy. It's that it will do for FV what the Emmys did for JFP: it gives them an excuse to metaphorically masturbate on screen, confusing awards with ratings as they continue to plummet, only producing the occasional half way decent episode, usually to cap off a shitty storyline.

• Love 5

I think Tequan Richmond won Sean Blakemore's Emmy for him.   I don't understand how TRi didn't win since it was literally the same reel.   I'm still baffled by it, but whatever.   TRi will go on to better things, while BC will probably be Morgan Corinthos forever.  On any other soap that might be a plum role, but playing one of Sonny's kids will never be good.  Ask Chad Duell.  

• Love 2

Emmy nominations:

none for best actor.

Laura Wright and Nancy Lee Grahn for best actress.

Supporting actor: Chad Duell and Jeffrey Vincent Parisse. Yes, you read that correctly, JVP is in there.

Supporting actress: Finola Hughes.

Younger Actor: Bryan Craig and Tequan Richmond.

Younger Actress: Chloe Lanier and Lexi Ainsworth.

• Love 3

I think he was nominated as Joe though. Not that he still wasn't good. My thing with him is more that he barely had anything last year. I think. Was Carlos on last year? I guess he was. I thought he wasn't.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

He's a better actor than all of them.

Sure, but I didn't forgot he actually had a decent amount of screentime!

You know FV has gotta be annoyed that after all that beautiful Morgan emmy bait, MB didn't get a nomination.

• Love 2

Do you have to be on contract to be eligible to submit?

1 minute ago, ulkis said:

You know FV has gotta be annoyed that after all that beautiful Morgan emmy bait, MB didn't get a nomination.

But BC did. Ugh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2
Just now, dubbel zout said:

Do you have to be on contract to be eligible to submit?

Nope. I know Carolyn Henessey has had a pre-nomination a couple of times. She might have even been nominated, I forget.

Edited by ulkis

MB is gonna be pissed he had nothing worth submitting. Maybe Jelly and FV will finally get fired

On FV's watch GH has lost every male actor that played a major character except MB and now they have nothing to submit for lead male. That's not a good look

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Oracle42 said:

MB is gonna be pissed he had nothing worth submitting. Maybe Jelly and FV will finally get fired

imo, he did. He just stunk in most everything. He really has no one to blame but himself here.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, ulkis said:

imo, he did. He just stunk in most everything. He really has no one to blame but himself here.

Exactly. I couldn't be happier. I'm way too petty about this one.

I think LW, NLG and FH probably had material (or spun gold out of that material) that was worth submitting. The rest? Not so much.

• Love 4

He's sucked for awhile but I think Guza and co. were better at writing to his (limited) strengths. And I don't think it would be such a big deal except that FV lost TG, SBu and JT - and his underwear models, Y&R gets and OLTL replacements haven't exactly caught fire

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

He's sucked for awhile but I think Guza and co. were better at writing to his (limited) strengths.

I agree, but even so, MB hasn't won an Emmy since 2003. I think that shows how stale his material is. There's been nothing new since...I can't think when.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Emmy nominations:

none for best actor.

Laura Wright and Nancy Lee Grahn for best actress.

Supporting actor: Chad Duell and Jeffrey Vincent Parisse. Yes, you read that correctly, JVP is in there.

Supporting actress: Finola Hughes.

Younger Actor: Bryan Craig and Tequan Richmond.

This is beautiful.   I need to see the reels.   I want to say Carlos was on till about Spring/Summer?  Then,  Joe debuted during the summer?  Also, I'm here for Tequan Richmond.   It's messed up/shows how stale af MB/the whole Sonny stuff is, as TRi probably got nominated with one scene.  There was years of Sonny,  yet nothing. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

...for what?  I guess LA had some okay scenes with Sonny when she came out to him, but what the hell did Chloe Lanier submit that got her a nod?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

...for what?  I guess LA had some okay scenes with Sonny when she came out to him, but what the hell did Chloe Lanier submit that got her a nod?

Well, she was great in the anniversary show?  And.... yawn.   I got nothing. I'm sure B&B/Y&R will beat them.  Hunter King is the reigning champ. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Well, she was great in the anniversary show?  And.... yawn.   I got nothing. I'm sure B&B/Y&R will beat them.  Hunter King is the reigning champ. 

That was the year before (and she got a guest nom for that, didn't she?), this was for playing Nelle.

• Love 1

Let's see....I want only Tequan to win. It would be the biggest fuck you to Frank and Jelly if he was their only winner and submitted only one scene.

It's hysterical that MB didn't get nominated for his Dead Morgan work, and after that Halloween episode with Brydog Morley visiting Sonny and rattling his chains while he gave out candy. Good times.

• Love 2

I'm guessing LA submitted her confrontation scenes with Alexis or Sonny for the Parker story, but, man, I think LA is such a weak actress.  Her go-to is 'smug asshole.'  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chairperson Meow said:

another note... SBu nominated again.  BM not. 

So. the dearth of nomination worthy scenes.

Do we think that's more of a reflection of the terrible dialogue provided by the script writers or the HW's baffling decisions to continue to write shallow stories which avoid drama at all costs?

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Oracle42 said:

So. the dearth of nomination worthy scenes.

Do we think that's more of a reflection of the terrible dialogue provided by the script writers or the HW baffling decisions to continue to write shallow stories which avoid drama at all costs

Yes.  And lack of direction, not knowing/ caring about the history.  Jason should be mixing it up with the Q' s after his Sonny love got him "killed".  He should want to see his son more than once a year.  BM would have killed those scenes.  Jelly needs to stop writing for stans and FB fans.  Write good stories.  Be more Guza/Ron, in that they shouldn't care.  

And kill Franco.  GiveBecky an Emmy out of this garbage.

4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why not both?

yes!  It's very telling that it's the writing when a man who won 3 times in a row can't get a nom over a guest star  and two monotone blondes.   However, in cases like Sonny... it's a weird unholy union of acting and writing. 

• Love 1

It's mostly the writing, but it's partly BM. I've never seen such consistent coasting this side of a Tyler Christopher scene. And I get it, show sucks, but he's been like that since day 1.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, ulkis said:

It's mostly the writing, but it's partly BM. I've never seen such consistent coasting this side of a Tyler Christopher scene. And I get it, show sucks, but he's been like that since day 1.

Is he lucky that SBu sucked so much by the end that any portrayal would have been accepted?

• Love 3

I don't think I ever liked SBu Jason outside of his pairing with Sam so I was totally willing to like BM in the part, but I still have no idea whether he can play Jason or not - and that is a problem

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I still have no idea whether he can play Jason or not - and that is a problem

We'll never find out if he can play Jason until they start writing Jason in character. So, enjoy whoever it is Billy is playing.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I'd be happy if they managed to write anyone in character. It's just worse with BM because he had no prior familiarity with the character

I blame it more on the writers. They won't let him fully connect to the character. Like today, he told Sonny his memories of young Michael are hazy? The hell?

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I blame it more on the writers. They won't let him fully connect to the character. Like today, he told Sonny his memories of young Michael are hazy? The hell?

That's because Jason was a young orphaned teen who took care of Michael!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Next week on General hospital....

Jason vaguely remembers an elephant fighting for Micheal.   Carly panics, Sonny hires "people".  Monica is... lol.  Who is that?  

Next month... Jason feels a feeling upon looking at a giant egg. Sam smiles blankly and cooks a five course meal.  Danny is at Spring Summer Camp.

4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I thought TeRi didn't submit for a prenom? So how did he get a nomination? And what could he possibly have submitted?  

I think (am not positive) actors can submit themselves, and/or the show can submit on their behalf. It seems weird they'd submit Tequan without telling him, though. 

10 hours ago, General Days said:

I think (am not positive) actors can submit themselves, and/or the show can submit on their behalf. It seems weird they'd submit Tequan without telling him, though. 

I guess they just wanted as many nominations as possible to show how awesome they are...NOT!

6 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Frank submitted him

I dont think he minded.  His Twitter lists him now as a regular on GH.  He's also tweeting that he wants it, tagging co stars (Dom and BC).... but you can still feel that aura of him not liking Frank.  

• Love 1

No.  Wait.  On Jan 25th, he tweeting that he didn't submit this year, with a confused emoticon.   The day the noms were announced, he says he wasn't going to talk about it, but decided what the hell.  Oh Tequan.  You make Uncle Frank mad... which is awesome.   

• Love 1