Type keyword(s) to search

God Friended Me in the Media

Trailer for the show (be warned; it's six minutes long and gives away the entire pilot):

So....this pilot-trailer might have actually changed my mind on watching the show. I hadn't planned on it, even for the actors. Now, I'm going to give it a chance. It actually looks...good?

• Love 4

I never would have contemplated a combination of Joan of Arcadia, Early Edition and {Fill in the blank with name of show where strangers are magically connected to each other}.

• Love 2

I'm iffy about if it will turn out to be good, and if it is, if it will remain on the air (because I'm cynical about things I like staying on and about things actually turning out to be good), but for the first time in I don't know how long, I'm intrigued by a new broadcast TV show. I may have to figure out how to watch not in real time. (I rarely watch in real time any more. It just never works for me.)

(edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 2:57 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So....this pilot-trailer might have actually changed my mind on watching the show. I hadn't planned on it, even for the actors. Now, I'm going to give it a chance. It actually looks...good?

On 5/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, Kromm said:

I never would have contemplated a combination of Joan of Arcadia, Early Edition and {Fill in the blank with name of show where strangers are magically connected to each other}.

Yeah, I heard the single-sentence pitch and thought "Huh? What?", but, after getting the Early Edition-like premise from the trailer, I was "Oh, that might actually not be terrible..."

I think on Deadline or one of the other media websites, they said that this was the highest-testing pilot of the year in the focus groups. 

Edited by Charlesman
(edited)

I kept hearing/seeing the title around and had no idea what this was about. Decided to find out, watched the trailer, and am now sold. Part of it is me being a sucker for this kind of show (Joan of Arcadia, Early Edition, Kevin (Probably) Saves the World...I couldn't resist any of them). But I also find Brandon Michael Hall to be such an appealing actor (I even watched all however many episodes of The Mayor because he's so likable). So, I'm in, for however long this lasts.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 2

And CBS is dropping the pilot early on a bunch of streaming platforms;

In the spirit of its social media spin, the CBS drama God Friended Me will have a special premiere across multiple platforms including Twitter, Facebook Premieres, Instagram’s IGTV, CBS All Access, and CBS.com beginning Aug. 31 ahead of its Sept. 30 premiere.

The new series will also be available on the CBS app as well as multiple EST platforms including iTunes, Vudu, Google and Sony starting Aug. 31 at 2:00 PM ET/11:00 AM PT

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shantown said:

Is that a good sign or a bad sign for the show? 

I think it's a neutral-to-good sign for the show. This seems to have more to do with the streaming networks than this particular show.  My guess is that CBS is confident enough with this show that it is hoping that the interest in this show will drive viewers to the streaming options, particularly CBS All Access.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think it's a neutral-to-good sign for the show. This seems to have more to do with the streaming networks than this particular show.  My guess is that CBS is confident enough with this show that it is hoping that the interest in this show will drive viewers to the streaming options, particularly CBS All Access.

Is CBS All Access any better? I never used to be able to access it. Apparently, I am not a member of the group "all."

I actually think a lot of shows tend to drop either ten minutes of their pilots or the full thing. I think that it's an ok thing. It's pretty much a sneak preview to gain more traction for a show that they want to do really well. 

It looks like the next new episode (14) will air on Feb. 17th:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/01/god-friended-me-episode-114-trouble.html

It looks like there's another break after that and a total of 20 episodes to the season.  If they continue to show only one episode per month we won't see the end of the season until the summer!

Not sure I understand why this show should get kicked around like that when the ratings are so good.

Casting news, and a few quotes from the producers and cast of the show from the TCA press tour:

Spoiler

Adam Goldberg has been cast in recurring role as Simon Hayes, the techie billionaire Simon Hayes who may or may not be owner of the God Account on CBS series God Friended Me, EP Bryan Wynbrandt announced Wednesday at TCA.

Asked how long the show intended to tease the mystery behind God Account, Wynbrandt answered coyly that “Simon Hayes’s involvement in the God Account will be explained and end the season in a satisfactory manner.”

Message about the renewal:

• Love 3

Cast at Paley NY: https://www.paleycenter.org/2019-god-friended-me

An Evening with God Friended Me

Tuesday, February 26, 2019
7:00 pm ET
New York

Brandon Micheal Hall, “Miles Finer”
Violette Beane, “Cara Bloom”
Suraj Sharma, “Rakesh”
Javicia Leslie, “Ali Finer"
Joe Morton, “Reverend Arthur Finer”
Steven Lilien, Creator/EP
Bryan Wynbrandt, Creator/EP

God Friended Me has delighted critics and audiences alike by combining spiritual quest with social media. In this uplifting and often humorous drama, a committed atheist’s life is transformed when he receives a friend request from the divine. This perplexed podcaster (the charismatic Brandon Micheal Hall) tries to make sense of this unexpected intervention with his family and friends as he enters the destinies of other people. After previewing a new episode, creator Bryan Wynbrandt and his cast will discuss the genesis and development of their hit series, while also taking questions from the audience.

This event is part of the Paley Center’s multifaceted Black History Month celebration, Shaping Our Nation’s Story: African-American Achievements in Television Presented by Citi.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:04 AM, Yeah No said:

It looks like there's another break after that and a total of 20 episodes to the season.  If they continue to show only one episode per month we won't see the end of the season until the summer!

Not to mention, that's when a show loses viewers and ratings go down, because people quite simply forget about it...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Not to mention, that's when a show loses viewers and ratings go down, because people quite simply forget about it...

I know, it feels like they intentionally want to ruin a good thing.  The ratings so far have been good.  It was the most watched show on its day of the week on the network.  So I don't get it.

• Love 3

Sunday night is a tough slot this time of year. You've got the Super Bowl, Grammy's, Oscars, etc. Lots of big events where shows are either preempted or just aren't running new episodes to go against those events. And both the Super Bowl and Grammy's were CBS this year, back to back weeks.

They probably could have held it for later to run a few episodes in a row, but they also don't want to just give up the open Sunday during sweeps month. I can see why they ended up scheduling the way they did.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, redpencil said:

Sunday night is a tough slot this time of year. You've got the Super Bowl, Grammy's, Oscars, etc. Lots of big events where shows are either preempted or just aren't running new episodes to go against those events. And both the Super Bowl and Grammy's were CBS this year, back to back weeks.

They probably could have held it for later to run a few episodes in a row, but they also don't want to just give up the open Sunday during sweeps month. I can see why they ended up scheduling the way they did.

Personally I wish they would move it to a new night.  If they wanted something easy to pre-empt they could have found another less popular show to do it with.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, redpencil said:

Yeah, I just don't think that there was many good options for them with the schedule. The Super Bowl and the Grammys are just big things for them that they can't very well reschedule. It's a shame, but it's just a fluky thing. 

• Love 1

Showrunner interview; he gives some teases for the rest of the season:

TVLINE | What’s in store for the end of the season and the finale?

Adam Goldberg is coming on to play Simon Hayes, and that’s a huge arc for us. Along with Parminder Nagra, who plays Pria — she’ll be coming back on the show — and also Henry Chase, [we’ll explore] these three characters and their involvement in the God account. We’ll come to a resolution and give some answers at the end of the season.

TVLINE | What kind of note does the finale end on? Is it a big cliffhanger ending?

I think we’re going to do something that maybe shakes things up a little bit… and maybe change the dynamic a little bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

'Robby Hull Upped To EP & Co-Showrunner For Season 2'

Veteran writer-producer Robby Hull, who served as co-executive producer on the first season of CBS’ drama series God Friended Me, has been promoted to executive producer and co-showrunner for season 2. Hull will serve as co-showrunner alongside God Friended Me creators/executive producers Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt.

------

Three showrunners? Sounds to me like one of them will leave sooner than later.

• Love 1