Type keyword(s) to search

The Boys in the Media

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Video: "The Boys" Take the Stage at New York Comic Con with a Surprise Cameo and a First Look at the Subversive Superhero Series from Amazon Studios

The Boys is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes - who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods - abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It's the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about "The Seven," and Vought - the multibillion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes.

During the panel, a corporate video from Vought's VP of Hero Management, Madelyn Stillwell (Elisabeth Shue), revealed just how much of a business it is to be super.

On Saturday night during Cartoon Network's Toonami block there was what looked like a goofy Japanese commercial for what may have been soy sauce with someone who very well have been Chace Crawford jumping around and eating sushi. The fine print on the screen said it was a fictitious product. Since he was wearing what looked like his costume from this show I was scratching my head wondering if it was part of the show's marketing campaign. I looked around a bit online but couldn't find it.

21 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

On Saturday night during Cartoon Network's Toonami block there was what looked like a goofy Japanese commercial for what may have been soy sauce with someone who very well have been Chace Crawford jumping around and eating sushi. The fine print on the screen said it was a fictitious product. Since he was wearing what looked like his costume from this show I was scratching my head wondering if it was part of the show's marketing campaign. I looked around a bit online but couldn't find it.

I saw it too, although I couldn't read the fine print. It does end with the Vought logo.

ETA: Found it!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1

Your Media Topic!

Premieres July 26 on Amazon

"The Boys is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes - who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods - abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It's the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about The Seven, and Vought - the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes and covers up all of their dirty secrets."

On 7/1/2019 at 5:59 PM, SilverStormm said:

fun and irreverent

Really, that's their description? What I remember of the comic book is that it was a very dark comedy filled with violence and misogyny. 

I'm on board for the dark comedy and violence because I think there are some interesting ideas. But if they bring over the misogyny (Starlight), I'm out.

‘The Boys’: Aya Cash In Talks For Stormfront Role In Likely Season 2 Of Amazon Series

You’re The Worst alumna Aya Cash is in talks to join a likely second season of Amazon’s superhero drama series The Boys in the role of Stormfront, we hear. Amazon would not comment. There has been no official decision on a second season at this point and Amazon would not confirm a renewal. Season one is set to premiere July 26 on Amazon.

Really, that's their description? What I remember of the comic book is that it was a very dark comedy filled with violence and misogyny. 

I'm on board for the dark comedy and violence because I think there are some interesting ideas. But if they bring over the misogyny (Starlight), I'm out.

I just got an email from Amazon. This is my hesitation. I like my violence a little more camp than dark and gritty but I can hang sometimes. But I have no faith in Seth Rogen, Garth Ennis, and the guy who created Supernatural to make something that isn't misogynistic. As I was watching the trailer, all I kept thinking was... at least the seven has TWO female team members. I think it's kind of cool that one guy is clearly Wolverine and one of the women looks like Wonder Woman and I'm sure the rest have analogs. But before I jump into this, I need to know... misogynistic or not? Because I can't with that right now. 

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I just got an email from Amazon. This is my hesitation. I like my violence a little more camp than dark and gritty but I can hang sometimes. But I have no faith in Seth Rogen, Garth Ennis, and the guy who created Supernatural to make something that isn't misogynistic. As I was watching the trailer, all I kept thinking was... at least the seven has TWO female team members. I think it's kind of cool that one guy is clearly Wolverine and one of the women looks like Wonder Woman and I'm sure the rest have analogs. But before I jump into this, I need to know... misogynistic or not? Because I can't with that right now. 

I've always thought of The Boys as an equal opportunity offender for everyone. I don't think anyone or any group in particular gets singled out. However, the TV show is very much toned from the comic. In the TV show, I think religion takes the hardest hit though.

There is no Wolverine character. The Heroes are based on DC/Justice League characters

So who is Karl Urban supposed to be? Lobo? Because he's giving me major Hugh Jackman Wolverine vibes. 

6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

If you are looking for something that is woman positive, you should probably skip this one.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It's toned down a lot from the comics it's based on, because there is no way they'd get away with that in this era. And I wouldn't want to watch any of it. So I'm glad they changed a lot of it. They had to modernize it with the #MeToo movement for what happens to one character. To answer your question, misogyny is present on this show. However pretty much most of the characters are awful people. They did racebend and genderbend some of the characters, A-Train was white in the comics and Mallory and Stillwell were men. They are also genderbending Stormfront a new character in Season 2. 

But I don't like that they depowered their Wonder Woman stand in. Queen Mauve could do much more than just stand around in Homelander's shadow. But I do hope they don't plan on doing any of the stories from her in the comics because they are horrible. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Marketing for this show is on point. Very funny and I cant believe some of the 1 Star Reviews.

The only good thing about the video is they give you a really good look at Black Noir, I had completely forgot he was in the show and could never get a real good look at him.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The only good thing about the video is they give you a really good look at Black Noir, I had completely forgot he was in the show and could never get a real good look at him.

I cracked up when he showed up. 1 because I kind of forgot about him and 2 because he stayed in character 😁

9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Ugh, weekly drops. Granted I'm not a huge binge watcher but, I'd like to be able to do 2-3 at a time if I'm enjoying the series

Weekly drops make the discussions more interesting. Everybody gets in sync.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was coming here to post the Trailer.

Is that a shark chasing them in the speed boat? 

Please tell me that wasn't Stillwell's Breast Milk?! 

Loved We Didn't Start the Fire...anyone know the version/cover artist?  Watched it again, that was Billy Joel's version.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see the panel for The Boys! It's currently scheduled for Thursday, but be sure to check the Comic Con website beforehand to make sure they haven't moved things around on the schedule.

3:00 p.m.: The Boys
Join executive producer Eric Kripke, along with series stars Karl Urban, Jack Quaid, Antony Starr, Erin Moriarty, Jessie T. Usher, Laz Alonso, Chace Crawford, Tomer Capon, Karen Fukuhara and Aya Cash, with moderator Aisha Tyler, for a behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming second season of The Boys. Executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg will also make a special appearance.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 5:42 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

They released a scene from S2.

I forget, who is the Elisabeth Moss- looking mousy lady?  Was that Elizabeth Shue's assistant?

Stormfront in the comics was this big German guy, I wonder why the gender bender casting.  Why not just call her a new character?

(edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 12:48 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I was coming here to post the Trailer.

Is that a shark chasing them in the speed boat? 

Please tell me that wasn't Stillwell's Breast Milk?! 

Loved We Didn't Start the Fire...anyone know the version/cover artist?  Watched it again, that was Billy Joel's version.

It did look like a shark, I'm assuming it's The Deep's doing.

Spoiler

I read the first three Omnibus comic collections after seeing Season 1... In the comics, I believe all of the Boys have also taken Compound V so they are also super strong.  On the show I don't think they do.  So I find it interesting as to why it's so hard for the world's most powerful superhero group to take them down.

Edited by kariyaki
Tagged comic book spoilers
(edited)

The Comic con panel for The Boys just announced an early season 3 pickup!! Yay!!

Edited by SilverStormm
Removed rogue quote box for member
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

thank you kripkeeper! 😍

I am so excited! I stopped watching Supernatural not long after Kripke left, and I miss me some Ackles. Great casting! 

• Love 1