Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Death of a Car Salesman

Having Liv and Ravi be aggressive salesmen was really boring for me, and the rest of the episode was just confusing. What was the deal with the flashback to Blaine and two guys who both looked like Don E. (though they all seemed to have different names)? And I still don't understand the motivation and plan of Liv's bio-dad.

Also, Darcy Bennett's personality seemed to undergo a complete change from the last episode (where she was introduced--or maybe that was the one before) and this one. And why would the bar be a good place to hide her?

• Love 2

They didn't really need to hide her. She wasn't in any danger from Ravi. They just wanted to keep her monitored so she wouldn't skip out on them. Plus, bonus if they keep Ravi away, since Ravi doesn't share their goals.

What was the deal with the flashback to Blaine and two guys who both looked like Don E. (though they all seemed to have different names)?

I can't remember all of the facts since this was way back in season two (really going way back, it seems), but that was Don E.'s twin, Scott E., who would later end up being in the psych ward with Major back in S2.  If I remember correctly, he was actually the first character Bryce Hodgson played, so I think it might have been a case of them really liking Bryce and wanting to use him again, so that's how Don E. was formed.  Again though, that was years ago!

I actually enjoyed Ravi and Liv both being on the brains and competing against each other, especially since Clive's reactions were brilliant as always.  But the killer was pretty predictable, because he was the only seemingly decent person in a suspect list full of scumbags (that could even expand to the actual victim), so of course it was going to be the least likely person.

While Rose McIver and Bill Wise (the actor playing Martin Roberts) did great jobs here, I'm not sure what this whole twist is going to lead to, unless he starts having second thoughts.  But judging from his reaction at the end, I'm guessing he'll go full-steam ahead, especially now that they've infected that senator.

Don E./Darcy might be fun, but there is clearly no way this is not going to end tragically, unless they somehow cure her.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

Having Liv and Ravi be aggressive salesmen was really boring for me, and the rest of the episode was just confusing. What was the deal with the flashback to Blaine and two guys who both looked like Don E. (though they all seemed to have different names)? And I still don't understand the motivation and plan of Liv's bio-dad.

Also, Darcy Bennett's personality seemed to undergo a complete change from the last episode (where she was introduced--or maybe that was the one before) and this one. And why would the bar be a good place to hide her?

Don E & Scott E were twins! Scott’s dead (don’t remember details.)  Scott & Major became friends in the psych ward, back when everybody thought Major was insane for believing in Zombies- you know, back in S1 before everyone believed in Zombies!  Lol

Not only was Liv’s new Dad the original Utopium chemist, he was Patient  Zero of the Zombie epidemic!   Tainted Utopium coupled with a swig of Max Rager (the right chemicals with the right brain parts) & (Beanpole) Bob’s yer Uncle.  It’s funny that he’s pretty chubby, far from a beanpole. They’re looking for a tall, skinny Utopium cook instead of a guy in a green shirt.

This is getting good & I can’t wait to see how it plays out.

One pet peeve about the potential cure - Froelich’s Syndrome is a real condition, a metabolic disorder. Since the people on the show who supposedly have it are not obese, are of average stature, & appear to not have developmental disabilities— I don’t think they actually have the condition!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Paloma said:

I thought she was living with the guy who bought her/her brain. I am surprised he would let her out of his sight until she died and he could eat her brain. Anybody could kidnap her and sell her again.

• Love 4

They only have 5 episodes left, & now they've added scratching generals to make them zombies & Don E being in love. How are they going to wrap this all up?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Don E & Scott E were twins! Scott’s dead (don’t remember details.)  Scott & Major became friends in the psych ward, back when everybody thought Major was insane for believing in Zombies- you know, back in S1 before everyone believed in Zombies!  Lol

Not only was Liv’s new Dad the original Utopium chemist, he was Patient  Zero of the Zombie epidemic!   Tainted Utopium coupled with a swig of Max Rager (the right chemicals with the right brain parts) & (Beanpole) Bob’s yer Uncle.  It’s funny that he’s pretty chubby, far from a beanpole. They’re looking for a tall, skinny Utopium cook instead of a guy in a green shirt.

This is getting good & I can’t wait to see how it plays out.

One pet peeve about the potential cure - Froelich’s Syndrome is a real condition, a metabolic disorder. Since the people on the show who supposedly have it are not obese, are of average stature, & appear to not have developmental disabilities— I don’t think they actually have the condition!

Technically, Blaine is still Patient Zero. He's the one who infected the people at the boat party and the subsequent people for blackmail.

What we know now is that Martin is aware of the exact formula for the "tainted" utopium, which means that Ravi could create as much zombie cure as the world would need. Unfortunately, Martin is also the one guy who wants a zombie apocalypse. Not that he needs to do much. I still don't understand why the government thinks "nuke Seattle" is a valid option when there are zombies on the outside.

I love how the iZombie descriptions bury the lead. "Liv and Ravi are on salesman brain" instead of "we finally learn about the genesis of the zombie virus."

• Love 7

Ravi and Liv on the same brain was the comedy I never knew I needed, even if Car Salesman brain was a little OTT. And Don E in love is just beautiful. I kind of love the little loser.

As soon as Liv's father (who had never been mentioned and who I admit I didn't care about) was introduced, I knew he was going to be Beanpole Bob. But I didn't mind how this backstory played out. If you'd asked me, I would have said this kind of flashback was redundant at this stage but I feel like there's something here about her fathers' motives. I mean, he turned first so he knew what the drug and Utopium would do. Yet he still sold the drug.

Did he want zombism to break out? Does he want it to spread? Why? Is this because of his addiction? Self-hatred? Because it makes him feel powerful? 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Wow, I completely forgot about Don E. having a twin and Major being in the psych ward! Especially surprising that I forgot because I loved S1 and it got me hooked on the show.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought she was living with the guy who bought her/her brain. I am surprised he would let her out of his sight until she died and he could eat her brain. Anybody could kidnap her and sell her again.

Yes, that was the other thing that didn't make sense about Darcy ending up at the bar. When Blaine delivered her to the guy who bought her brain, I thought it was kind of a voluntary or reverse kidnapping situation--in exchange for a lot of money for her family, she agreed to stay with the guy until she died, so that he could have her brain. But who knows how much longer she would actually live? She didn't show any symptoms (at least that I noticed).

3 hours ago, ketose said:

What we know now is that Martin is aware of the exact formula for the "tainted" utopium, which means that Ravi could create as much zombie cure as the world would need. Unfortunately, Martin is also the one guy who wants a zombie apocalypse.

2 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Did he want zombism to break out? Does he want it to spread? Why? Is this because of his addiction? Self-hatred? Because it makes him feel powerful? 

I don't know if he intended to cause the zombie breakout (presumably he killed the guy in the car when he raged out, but didn't immediately realize what caused him to kill the guy). If he really did work for Doctors Without Borders (as Liv's mother said and he confirmed, though it could have been a lie he told both of them) and was deeply affected by that work (as he told Liv), it doesn't make sense that he would become someone who wanted to kill people by turning them into zombies--unless he viewed this as a way to end illness in the population. But at least in the past he seemed to have been motivated by wanting to make the perfect drug, a la the chemist in Breaking Bad. And presumably once he made it, he wanted to make money by selling it. I'm not sure what his motivation is now, but he seemed to be moved by watching the Renegade documentary and by meeting Liv, so maybe he will end up helping the good guys by giving them what they need for the cure? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved how excited Ravi was about making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

Same here, and of course Liv being in the same brain had to try to one-up him. Hee.

• Love 1

My feeling was they decided to hide her because if Ravi found her he might talk to her and realize what Blaine is planning.   And get the other kids before Blaine's people can and stopping a huge payout for Blaine.

The stuff with Liv's bio dad just seems so out of left field I don't mind him being the creator or evil or conflicted, whatever, but I just feel like Liv is very involved in this crazy without there being any real buildup on this.  I also feel like if they are trying to sell me on lifelong curiosity about her dad that she needs to talk to Major who knew her before her Zombiehood...or Payton...   

Does Zombdad know that he has a human kid out there too?   Liv said he had Evan's eyes so I presume he's also Evan's dad.

• Love 1

With all of the criminal investigations Liv has done, shouldn't she have been suspicious when her dad immediately called her "Liv", after she introduced herself as "Olivia"? Why would he do that if he really had no idea who she was (not just about being his daughter)?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

In retrospeect zombie island sounds a lot more plausible. 300 zombies. Access to war torn and poor countries (Chase’s mercenaries, possible humanitarian efforts, Doctors Without Borders perhaps? , the resources off a corporation) if it is secret. 

Now it sounds like a real target 

So Ravi’s night sight goggles seem like  chekov’s gun to me. So does the flash back  scott E killed himself but Don E and Blaine still know Martin. Also what is Martin harvesting from the zombies  or injecting them with?

is this all going to pull together?

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder what the "utopium + Max Rager" and "Freylich's brains" have in common.

I have to admit that one of the really annoying Rob Thomas tropes is using an real medical problem and giving it completely different symptoms. WTF? Make something up, guys. Maybe he thinks it is a cute callback  

The answer is “Ravi”  because he is positioned to make the connections. And Blaine. And Don E. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Affogato said:

I have to admit that one of the really annoying Rob Thomas tropes is using an real medical problem and giving it completely different symptoms. WTF? Make something up, guys. Maybe he thinks it is a cute callback  

The answer is “Ravi”  because he is positioned to make the connections. And Blaine. And Don E. 

It's not exactly a real disease. It sounds like "Frohlich syndrome" but it's spelled differently. 

The biochemistry of the zombie disease doesn't make any sense, even within the plot of the story. That's okay with me, because it's the mythology of the show. Liv is the heroine, Blaine is the supervillain, Ravi is the wizard and Major is like the king whose crown weighs heavy upon his head.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ketose said:

It's not exactly a real disease. It sounds like "Frohlich syndrome" but it's spelled differently. 

The biochemistry of the zombie disease doesn't make any sense, even within the plot of the story. That's okay with me, because it's the mythology of the show. Liv is the heroine, Blaine is the supervillain, Ravi is the wizard and Major is like the king whose crown weighs heavy upon his head.

Close enough for me yo be annoyed.

No but the answer isn’t biochemical. The answer is how do we get everything in the right place at the right time and it all falls into place. Martin is connected to Liv, don e can identify martin as BB, don e is connected to girl and the bar which may still have rager on the menu.  

And so it goes. 

• Love 2

I do agree that it would be better to make something up that didn't sound so close to a real thing. It's not hard to invent a disease name. They invented all the other parts of the puzzle-- the specific drug, the specific energy drink, why not also be respectful of the people with the almost-the-same-word disease and not confuse things?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I do agree that it would be better to make something up that didn't sound so close to a real thing. It's not hard to invent a disease name. They invented all the other parts of the puzzle-- the specific drug, the specific energy drink, why not also be respectful of the people with the almost-the-same-word disease and not confuse things?

I wonder if it actuslly turns out —irl—to be his best friend’s surname or some other real life nod. Probably not. 

I agree with others who commented that the Dad part of the story is out of left field.  He's turning the captive zombies into the uncontrollable Romero type.  I assume he's going to threaten to let them loose, or actually let them loose, to some end.

The rest, as far as the origin of the tainted Utopium, has been part of the plot, and I'm glad they're getting back to it.  When the dominoes start to fall, the connections will be made quickly.  I guess the question is whether Bob will willingly give them the formula.

However, he seems to have gone all in on zombie life. I think there's an outside chance that they have to turn him human then have someone eat his brain to get the formula.

• LOL 2
58 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I think there's an outside chance that they have to turn him human then have someone eat his brain to get the formula.

Oh no, I hope it won't be Liv who has to eat her father's brain--that would just be too gross.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

With all of the criminal investigations Liv has done, shouldn't she have been suspicious when her dad immediately called her "Liv", after she introduced herself as "Olivia"? Why would he do that if he really had no idea who she was (not just about being his daughter)?

Was Liv not a name her mother called her?  He was around a bit when Evan was conceived.   

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wonder if it actuslly turns out —irl—to be his best friend’s surname or some other real life nod

He does do things with names a lot. So I guess that's maybe possible.

4 hours ago, Paloma said:

Oh no, I hope it won't be Liv who has to eat her father's brain--that would just be too gross.

Has Ravi ever had a vision? I know he goes zombie once a month, but I can't remember him ever having a vision.

Ravi and Liv on super competitive salesmen brains was hilarious, especially Ravi who really nailed the look and vibe. I knew right away who the killer would be as soon as he was introduced. 

So Livs dad isnt just a member of the zombie supremacy group, he was behind the original Max Rager zombie plague, and was one of the very first zombies! This could be interesting, but I feel like it will end in heartbreak for Liv. I do wish we had started this whole plot earlier in the show, we dont have much time left in the show to really explore this whole dad thing and his history with the zombie virus AND his relationship with Liv. We could have done this instead of boring Fillmore Graves stuff, just saying.

Of course Blaine would be super pumped about kidnapping and murdering teenagers, that how he was introduced to the show after all! Blaine might be fun, but I do hope he gets his by the time they show ends. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

He does do things with names a lot. So I guess that's maybe possible.

Has Ravi ever had a vision? I know he goes zombie once a month, but I can't remember him ever having a vision.

Ravi had the vision of the salesman's car window being smashed in this week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just got caught up on the last few episodes. So many storylines that I'm sure I'm forgetting key plot points/ not keeping everything straight...

The one thing I wondered about (which I'm sure is not relevant whatsoever...) is who all these sports teams are playing against. The college field hockey team this week, the mention of the (semi-pro?) ice hockey team last week... I mean, I guess there can be several Seattle-based college/ semi-pro teams, but this must have really cut down on their schedules. I guess this version of Seattle did not get granted an NHL team for 2021 (maybe in this world it went to Quebec... maybe whathisface Frenchy detective is secretly pleased...), but I wonder what became of the Mariners, Seahawks, and Supersonics... (What season of the year was it when Seattle got closed off from everyone else? I guess if it was the offseason many of the athletes would have been elsewhere. Or if the team was on a road trip, they lucked out...)

Back on topic, I'm glad I watched with close caption on and could appreciate the fact that Don E's mom was being referred to as "Mom E" and not "Mommy."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

So does the disease only affect super-cool pretty girls? Does that mean the victims could cure themselves by becoming ugly or annoying?

Well, going Romero makes you both ugly AND annoying. It might make sense that young pretty girls would be the cure. Bathing in the blood of virgins and all that. The reverse? Whatsername faking her death was pretty annoying and she still died. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Back on topic, I'm glad I watched with close caption on and could appreciate the fact that Don E's mom was being referred to as "Mom E" and not "Mommy."

HA!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This was pretty dull until the end. I have to give Martin/Beanpole credit. Having the doctor checking senators scratched and scratching certain politicians is a better plan than anything except Blaine's plans from time to time. It's certainly better than what the good guys have been cooking up lately.

No idea why they're giving Don E. a love interest. It would have made more sense if the matchmaker had stayed long enough to tell him about her. Or even if Liv could have said something more. How would the matchmaker have known about a girl in college who lived outside the city. That's not really how matchmaking works. This plot is barely holding together but I'm intrigued enough to see where they go.