Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Speaking of outfits:  Last night I saw an episode where a couple was looking for a beachfront house (I think somewhere in Florida?), and I really liked the two dresses the woman wore.  I'd love to know where she got them.  She also wore white slacks and a black top that looked nice.   It was a refreshing change from the outfits that some of these HHers wear. 

I noticed the same thing, she looked great; perfect for beachy weather while not too tight or revealing.  Both dresses were particularly flattering on her.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pdlinda said:

My thoughts in writing that post were centered around trying to comment on the clothes without specifically mentioning her "body type." 

You expressed my thoughts better than I did myself.  

The woman needed a complete "makeover," and, yes, I do regret that "What Not to Wear" was pulled from the air.  I LOVED that show.  Stacey and Clinton were quite a match-up and the show was informative and entertaining. 

I miss WNTW too.  I do agree that that particular HH's outfits did not flatter her and seemed a little juvenile for someone in their 30's.  The pleated cheerleader skirt and top seems too 'young' for anyone old enough to vote, IMO. In her case, it looked more like a costume than a fashionable choice.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

All of the outfits she wore did her no favors.

She wore a red shirt with green pants (or maybe it was the reverse, I forget) that just looked awful.

• Like 4

HGTV executive house hunters.  Really thought that they would have been able to afford more than his $500K budget for a home.  Guess HGTV doesn't pay their executives that much or he isn't at that level.

• Like 3
(edited)

Kariff and Shamion, house hunting in Atlanta, apparently new 7/14/2024.  

I love it when they have a big budget. $1.65 million On the first house, the main bedroom and ensuite are gigantic, with beautiful finishes, and the husband says it's not 'grand enough'.    The second house is older, but spectacular with a huge finished basement with big workout rooms, a gigantic office space for the wife. $1.8 million  However, the wife, she's a designer, wants to gut the main bath and kitchen.   The house has a tennis court and big pool and spa.   

Third house is spectacular, except wife wants the back yard trees gone. $1.885 million. Another lovely primary suite, with a sitting area, ensuite is lovely, and wife wants to rip the counter tops out.   They want a big room for both kids to share, but then say the biggest bedroom with ensuite will have to be for visiting relatives.   finsihed basement is huge with office space, and pool table and movie room.   The pool is really big.  

They bought #2 the huge French style house.   The house with the tennis court, gated driveway, completely fenced, with the huge pool and spa.   Of course they will gut the kitchen, and change other things in the house.  The size of the room that the wife will use for her client meetings, and design business is as big as my entire house.  

Unfortunately, her demand to gut the kitchen and main bath show her design taste is to replace nice rooms with her super expensive taste, not a good advertisement for her design business.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I don't like the huge budgets because they buy these beautiful houses with great finishes and then want to gut everything right away.  Such a waste.  I think of all that perfectly usable (and envious things for most people) stuff in a landfill.  Makes me sick.  I'd like to think they donate it somewhere, but I don't believe it.

I prefer budgets that would reflect my own.  I can see what my money would buy elsewhere and which I would realistically choose.  But, then again, I do like to occasionally see what higher and lower budget options are out there.  And with some of the lower budgets, to see how compromising some buyers can be and how happy they can be on a restricted budget.

• Like 10
(edited)

Northern New Jersey: HGTV executive? More like mid-level manager. If they met in college 9 years ago, he's not even 35. Did they say where they were moving from? Both broadcast journalism majors. He at HGTV and she's at a sports station. Her budget $550k; his $500k. He takes the train into the city while her office is in Secaucus.

Option 1: small bungalow in Scotch Plains $498k

Option 2: split level in Kenilworth $519k

Option 3: colonial in I forget where. Not yet on the market but expected to be priced quite a bit over their budget (so not sure why it was included). It had one of the ugliest newly remodeled kitchens I've ever seen. Off-white/eggshell cabinets with white marble look quartz countertops. To my eyes, it's like putting warm and cool lights next to one another. They clash!

As someone who grew up in the 70s/80s with cultured marble vanities everywhere, I hate the marble look quartz. That said, it can look nice in some settings. But. definitely not with off-white antiqued cabinets. Ugh, my eyes have still not recovered.

They chose option 2, paying over ask at $550k. They pulled up the carpet and refinished the wood floors. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, snarts said:

Deleted too much of your post @snarts, but wanted to say how you were so right about the egg shell cabinets and the bright white everything else in the 3rd house in Northern NJ. It looked awful. The couple seemed nice and they picked the right place. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 2:40 PM, snarts said:

Northern New Jersey: HGTV executive? More like mid-level manager. If they met in college 9 years ago, he's not even 35. Did they say where they were moving from? Both broadcast journalism majors. He at HGTV and she's at a sports station. Her budget $550k; his $500k. He takes the train into the city while her office is in Secaucus.

Option 1: small bungalow in Scotch Plains $498k

Option 2: split level in Kenilworth $519k

Option 3: colonial in I forget where. Not yet on the market but expected to be priced quite a bit over their budget (so not sure why it was included). It had one of the ugliest newly remodeled kitchens I've ever seen. Off-white/eggshell cabinets with white marble look quartz countertops. To my eyes, it's like putting warm and cool lights next to one another. They clash!

As someone who grew up in the 70s/80s with cultured marble vanities everywhere, I hate the marble look quartz. That said, it can look nice in some settings. But. definitely not with off-white antiqued cabinets. Ugh, my eyes have still not recovered.

They chose option 2, paying over ask at $550k. They pulled up the carpet and refinished the wood floors. 

The marble on the floor in the “dream kitchen” was killing me. It was blindingly white.

Small square footages for the houses the NJ couple looked at. The over budget house was the biggest but they didn’t end up there. I think the house they bought was like 1200 square feet, which might feel tight if/when they have kids.

Speaking of small, Denver woman buying solo bought a place that seemed too small for me - I think it was 750 square feet. I wondered how big her previous place was.

On 7/16/2024 at 10:04 PM, rhofmovalley said:

As soon as I saw the wannabe Real Housewife and her outfits that were designed for women 20 years younger I changed the channel. Sorry, can't do it. 

Her mature, appropriately dressed daughter made up for her. HH was an aging Barbie. 

• Like 1

Austin Texas homebuyer should be told that those lanterns that she loved in New Orleans are gas burning, not kerosene.  Would have expected better than that from a lawyer.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1