Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have to laugh at the new one tonight shopping in the DC/Maryland suburbs.    The first house had a decent basement, so the realtor  says the two basement bedrooms, and bath make it a five bedroom house.   Not at all, no egress windows, means in a fire the basement is a death trap.   

Then the second one with the basement that needs finishing, clearly had water marks on the concrete block wall under the window, that doesn't mean you finish it with a little drywall.     

The townhouse was third, but it didn't feel 'warm' enough for them.   When a new build comes with window bars, it's a big no for me. 

They buy the first one.  I hope they take down the popcorn ceiling now, and not after they move in.   

• Love 2

I'm curious what colours the Waldorf family is going to go with, since she seemed anti-grey. I liked her because she could pronounce foyer properly and called a room colour peachy yellow seconds after I said the same thing. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have to laugh at the new one tonight shopping in the DC/Maryland suburbs.    The first house had a decent basement, so the realtor  says the two basement bedrooms, and bath make it a five bedroom house.   Not at all, no egress windows, means in a fire the basement is a death trap.   

Then the second one with the basement that needs finishing, clearly had water marks on the concrete block wall under the window, that doesn't mean you finish it with a little drywall.     

The townhouse was third, but it didn't feel 'warm' enough for them.   When a new build comes with window bars, it's a big no for me. 

They buy the first one.  I hope they take down the popcorn ceiling now, and not after they move in.   

None of the above three homes would have been an easy commute to DC for him, especially house #2.  Not  sure why they would have even looked out in Dunkirk for a place.  Traffic is really bad in all the surrounding areas of DC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cameron said:

None of the above three homes would have been an easy commute to DC for him, especially house #2.  Not  sure why they would have even looked out in Dunkirk for a place.  Traffic is really bad in all the surrounding areas of DC.

Yep, but I've met people who are willing (perhaps forced would be a better word) to commute 2 hours each way. Guess it depends on the work/life algebra each person does.

• Love 1

I am not sure if this is a repeat as there are so many with essentially the same scenario so they can blend.

My DVR picked up an episode where HH were looking in Walnut Creek, California for a home in the $1 million to $1.5 million range. Wife came from poverty and wanted the "wow" and husband came from a middle class background so he was just interested in a home that was comfortable and felt no need to impress anyone.

I live in a high cost of living area so I get expensive real estate but I couldn't help but think that none of these homes were "wow" as they were all essentially middle class tract homes that had escalated enormously because of location - but I digress but after all location location location in terms of fair market value.

The first home they looked at was an Eichler and oh that poor Eichler as the people had renovated it - or rather renovated the kitchen and so what had been formerly a modest galley kitchen had been expanded into this enormous kitchen at the expense of the living area which now - literally - only had room for a small sofa with a few feet in front of it before you got to the sliders to the back yard. The kitchen was a size intended for a McMansion and  it was such a terrible division of space. Poor Eichler. 

I get that he is a name developer in that area but I kind of chortled when the real estate agent said he was exclusive because he only built 11,000 homes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Chicago dude picked the right place for he and his doggie. No d'uh. He wasn't going to be good on a high floor in a high rise or be a landlord plus run an airbnb? LOL! 

Otoh, wtf? He's on a tree-lined street and his realtor sets up a dog toilet on that lovely deck?

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, amarante said:

I am not sure if this is a repeat as there are so many with essentially the same scenario so they can blend.

My DVR picked up an episode where HH were looking in Walnut Creek, California for a home in the $1 million to $1.5 million range. Wife came from poverty and wanted the "wow" and husband came from a middle class background so he was just interested in a home that was comfortable and felt no need to impress anyone.

I live in a high cost of living area so I get expensive real estate but I couldn't help but think that none of these homes were "wow" as they were all essentially middle class tract homes that had escalated enormously because of location - but I digress but after all location location location in terms of fair market value.

The first home they looked at was an Eichler and oh that poor Eichler as the people had renovated it - or rather renovated the kitchen and so what had been formerly a modest galley kitchen had been expanded into this enormous kitchen at the expense of the living area which now - literally - only had room for a small sofa with a few feet in front of it before you got to the sliders to the back yard. The kitchen was a size intended for a McMansion and  it was such a terrible division of space. Poor Eichler. 

I get that he is a name developer in that area but I kind of chortled when the real estate agent said he was exclusive because he only built 11,000 homes. 

Amarante, saw that epi too. Wifey was annoying, one of those who was so wrapped up in curb appeal and showing everyone how hard they've worked to get approved for $1.5 mil. None of the houses were great, hated the busy street on the one they picked, but glad they didn't pick the Eichler, no living room space at all.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, cameron said:

Bet the neighbors are going to love seeing that food truck parked in that Delaware home owner's driveway.

Isn't that the truth! (Says the woman who lives in a waterside community where driveways and yards are filled with boat trailers, boats on trailers, and RVs.)

I laughed at the wife saying she didn't like hardwood because she would be constantly mopping and cleaning them. She wanted carpet where she couldn't see the dirt. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, buttersister said:

Chicago dude picked the right place for he and his doggie. No d'uh. He wasn't going to be good on a high floor in a high rise or be a landlord plus run an airbnb? LOL! 

Agree. The two-flat was too much of a project for him. I loved the high-rise but he was clearly scared, plus it was more than he wanted to spend. I thought the place he picked was really nice - I’d live there. $100K over asking though, yikes!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Agree. The two-flat was too much of a project for him. I loved the high-rise but he was clearly scared, plus it was more than he wanted to spend. I thought the place he picked was really nice - I’d live there. $100K over asking though, yikes!

The high rise not only scared me for the height of the building, but the HOA fees that were over $1000 a month.   

I didn't like the three flat, it needed a lot of work, and the basement costs to be turned into a short term rental would be astronomical.    It also needed egress windows too I think, and maybe the basement dug further down to give a decent ceiling height.    The one he bought does need a half bath or two though.  

On 11/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, amarante said:

I lived in an Eichler in Palo Alto when I was a little kid.  3 small bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen that was its own room (not "open concept"), dining room, living room.  It did have a unique "style",  but I can't see it for a family now as it was designed then.  It seems buyers today want more space.  There were several Eichlers in the neighborhood.  I didn't realize I had lived in such a "special" house.  It actually seemed "flimsy" compared to the old houses I have lived in. Drastic remodeling would certainly ruin the aesthetic of the house. 

I'm sure that house is priced over a million now.

• Useful 1

Austin, Claire, a software engineer.   She doesn't want tile.   Wants 2 bedrooms, to use one for an office.    It's her and her cat.  The relatives recommend 3 bedroom, and she wants close to downtown.   This is going to be scary, the prices in Austin are insane, and I worry about foundation issues.  $500k budget. 

House 1-1952, $525k, cute house, fenced front yard.   2 bed, 1 bath, in East Austin, and renovated.   916 sq ft.   LVP floors. pier and beam foundation (vs. concrete slab) and foundation has been repaired in the past two years, and they don't know about the warranty on the repair.  kitchen is nice, but a strange floor plan that could be a deal breaker for resale.   Nice main bedroom, and other bedroom is nice, and 1 bathroom (her mom thinks like I do, 1 toilet is not a great idea). solar panels installed (ask if leased or owned).  Close to downtown.     

House 2-2 bed 1.5 bath, $475k , 935 sq ft, 10 minutes to downtown, new construction, concrete slab first floor.  great kitchen with kitchen vent fan is an actual vent, nice eating bar, you could put 3 or 4 bar stools.  smallish back yard but fully fenced, half bath on first floor is great.  floors are beautiful, both bedrooms are medium sized.    primary bathroom is really nice, with a tub/shower combo.    

House 3-3 bed, 2 full baths, $460k, 1449 sq ft. 20 minutes from downtown, this is for her mother's demand to check out the burbs, and get more house for less money.  Some tile, and some LVP, needs stone counter tops. backyard is nice. bedrooms have carpet, main bedroom is big, ensuite bathroom is big.  

She picked #2. 

I would have picked #3 for the size.     I always consider resale too, even if I don't think I'm moving.   You never know when the right job will come along.    In a hot market like Austin, resale should be easy, but you don't want to get a place too small, or too quirky.   I'm glad she didn't buy the first one, with a history of foundation issues, I wouldn't have touched that house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Austin

Claire went with location and newness (regardless of what she said about vintage). I can understand how she liked the place's "cuteness" but there is no garage, just a carport. She'll take up her whole back yard with a storage shed. And then there's the single a/c unit (and it looked tiny) to cool a two-story home. Nope, wouldn't do that in Texas. Two stories, two a/c units. Builder was obviously trying to keep costs down. Hope she's okay with window units or she finds a portable unit that will work for her.

Having to be "near my friends" was never a consideration back in the dark ages, particularly when it came to purchasing homes. We were happily leaving the city behind and weren't into bar scenes anyway. We purchased 3-2 or 4-2 homes with double garages. I guess, now that I think of it, we could've used counseling from Dr. Rick back then because we instantly turned into our parents.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
13 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I lived in an Eichler in Palo Alto when I was a little kid. 

How cool!

When we were in Palm Springs, Mr. Outlier and I did a big slow-roll bike tour of the various neighborhoods, looking at the houses.  We do this in pretty much every town we go to if we have the time, just to get a feel for the various places.  But since I'm a MCM aficionado, it was a must-do for Palm Springs.

And for Palo Alto, too, which is awash in Eichler (and other MCM) houses.  We rode 25 miles, and it might have been an even better experience than Palm Springs because lots of the houses in Palm Springs were clearly Airbnbs and looked photo ready, while the ones in Palo Alto looked like people actually live in them.  Who knows what open-concept remodeling horrors await those who go inside them, but it's a real treat riding by one after another after another at 7 mph. 

There were several Eichlers in the neighborhood.  I didn't realize I had lived in such a "special" house.  It actually seemed "flimsy" compared to the old houses I have lived in.

Frank Lloyd Wright houses leak like crazy.  Ah, the things we sacrifice for beauty.

I'm sure that house is priced over a million now.

It's bound to be waaaaaay over a million now.  People are digging the MCM, and having Eichler on it just pushes up the price tag.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

How cool!

When we were in Palm Springs, Mr. Outlier and I did a big slow-roll bike tour of the various neighborhoods, looking at the houses.  We do this in pretty much every town we go to if we have the time, just to get a feel for the various places.  But since I'm a MCM aficionado, it was a must-do for Palm Springs.

And for Palo Alto, too, which is awash in Eichler (and other MCM) houses.  We rode 25 miles, and it might have been an even better experience than Palm Springs because lots of the houses in Palm Springs were clearly Airbnbs and looked photo ready, while the ones in Palo Alto looked like people actually live in them.  Who knows what open-concept remodeling horrors await those who go inside them, but it's a real treat riding by one after another after another at 7 mph. 

Frank Lloyd Wright houses leak like crazy.  Ah, the things we sacrifice for beauty.

It's bound to be waaaaaay over a million now.  People are digging the MCM, and having Eichler on it just pushes up the price tag.

Couldn't find a decent house under two million in Palo Alto when we were house hunting there in 2000.

• Like 2

Just adding to the general Eichler discussion as when these were originally built they were tract homes that were intended to house a typical middle class family.

The nice thing about them is that they incorporated some of the best designs of the true MCM homes which were intended to bring the outside in. But they were small scale and the one in the episode. being discussed in Walnut Grove just made a terrible design decision by expanding the kitchen with an enormous island and no living space. It just made no design sense either functionally or aesthetically. I am sure many of the Eichler homes have been updated much more intelligently.

If one takes a look at the MCM homes in Trousdale Estates near Beverly Hills for example, there are absolutely beautiful MCM homes but these were built for a wealthier clientele so were more gracious even when originally built. Like Palm Springs many of these have been bought by people who specifically love the architecture and so have been really lovingly and authentically updated.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, buttersister said:

Otoh, wtf? He's on a tree-lined street and his realtor sets up a dog toilet on that lovely deck?

I thought the layout of the first home was terrible because the only bathrooms were on the lower level. But I also think roof decks are generally not used in real life because shlepping everything up to the roof and back down again is a lot of effort.

The high rise was beautiful but probably more than he wanted spend. On the other hand I live in a high rise with an expansive city view so I am prejudiced no doubt. Oddly I do have a fear of heights as I get slightly queasy when looking down or clambering along narrow cliff paths but I am fine in my apartment enjoying the view from the safety of my living room or even my balcony although I don't actually get out on it that often.

But surely in his price range there was a nice two bedroom two bath single level condo with a pleasant view of the street.

Columbus, GA.   I hope they were very careful about exactly where they bought. I lived near there for seven years, some neighborhoods are scary.    Some areas there have a lot of crime.   You also have to worry about where the tornado tracks have come through in the past, I've found tornadoes follow geography.  

House 1-Really nice house, very open, and I love the LVP. new build on 2 acres.   Ensuite is huge, it has the largest size shower I've seen in a long time.  Husband says neighbors are too close, but they're not close at all.   She doesn't like the light LVP floors, mud tracking in. 

House 2-with a basement.   I don't like the way the street is higher than the house, water there is a big issue.  I like the screened in porch. main ensuite is OK, but smaller.   Basement this is on an acre.    I would really worry about water runoff, and grading.   I just don't like this house.   

House 3-5 beds, media room, office space. Love the kitchen, gas stove, new build, graded grounds much better than #2.   corner lot. another ensuite bedroom, 2 bedrooms with shared bath, main bedroom and en suite are huge.   no basement, but a bonus room.   

They choose #3 .

I would have bought #3 for the lot grading, and corner lot, and the new build.  I'm guessing it came with a builder's warranty.   I bet they have a septic tank and field too.   With new builds there, make sure the utilities you need are available, with cable check directly with the cable company, and for internet service, don't just think you'll be able to get cable internet.   I had satellite TV and internet for almost 4 years, very expensive. 

When I lived near Columbus, on the Alabama side, I could only get internet through satellite dish, for the first three or four years.   Then I could get regular cable/internet.   I lived on a main street, the people who lived behind me couldn't get cable/internet until after I moved out, and only the new builds, the builder ran the lines.   The older (relatively older, they area was full of subdivisions by different builders) home had some with the cable company, then the further away house could get DSL, and the other houses either had to get satellite dishes or nothing. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Columbus, GA.   I hope they were very careful about exactly where they bought. I lived near there for seven years, some neighborhoods are scary.    Some areas there have a lot of crime.   You also have to worry about where the tornado tracks have come through in the past, I've found tornadoes follow geography.  

House 1-Really nice house, very open, and I love the LVP. new build on 2 acres.   Ensuite is huge, it has the largest size shower I've seen in a long time.  Husband says neighbors are too close, but they're not close at all.   She doesn't like the light LVP floors, mud tracking in. 

House 2-with a basement.   I don't like the way the street is higher than the house, water there is a big issue.  I like the screened in porch. main ensuite is OK, but smaller.   Basement this is on an acre.    I would really worry about water runoff, and grading.   I just don't like this house.   

House 3-5 beds, media room, office space. Love the kitchen, gas stove, new build, graded grounds much better than #2.   corner lot. another ensuite bedroom, 2 bedrooms with shared bath, main bedroom and en suite are huge.   no basement, but a bonus room.   

They choose #3 .

I would have bought #3 for the lot grading, and corner lot, and the new build.  I'm guessing it came with a builder's warranty.   I bet they have a septic tank and field too.   With new builds there, make sure the utilities you need are available, with cable check directly with the cable company, and for internet service, don't just think you'll be able to get cable internet.   I had satellite TV and internet for almost 4 years, very expensive. 

Certainly get a lot of house for your money there!!

On 11/5/2022 at 7:08 AM, cameron said:

Certainly get a lot of house for your money there!!

Depending on the builder, the quality may not be great.    Also, the amount of inspections varies by county.     You also have to worry about water runoff, such as the horrible placement of house #2.    There's a reason House #2 was such a low price for the square footage.   House #2 needed some cosmetic changes, but it was way underpriced for the size, and location.   The price confirms what I suspect about the huge water problems from runoff.

House #3 was a agreat choice for the flat lot.      I hope the couple had a good home inspector.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

utilities you need are available, with cable check directly with the cable company, and for internet service, don't just think you'll be able to get cable internet. 

So true.  My daughter's in-laws bought a multi-million$$ home in the L.A. area about 5 years ago that I would term a mansion.

Everything GRAND and OPULENT; HOWEVER, regardless of what they try with all sorts of "experts", it is still IMPOSSIBLE to get adequate cell/cable/internet service in their location!!

I would say things have "improved"; however, in no way, shape, manner or form would I give you 5 CENTS for their home with those IT issues that are, apparently, incapable of being upgraded to the reliable level of service I would need to feel comfortable and "connected."

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

So true.  My daughter's in-laws bought a multi-million$$ home in the L.A. area about 5 years ago that I would term a mansion.

Everything GRAND and OPULENT; HOWEVER, regardless of what they try with all sorts of "experts", it is still IMPOSSIBLE to get adequate cell/cable/internet service in their location!!

I would say things have "improved"; however, in no way, shape, manner or form would I give you 5 CENTS for their home with those IT issues that are, apparently, incapable of being upgraded to the reliable level of service I would need to feel comfortable and "connected."

One of my sisters worked for a cable company handling customer service issues amongst other things.  People who build brand new McMansions on roads with few houses were the bane of her existence.  No matter how expensive the house is, there is only a limited amount of payment the company can get for its services each month from any individual household.  If the cable hasn't already been laid in the area, and, if there aren't enough potential customers to make adding a new trunk profitable, it isn't going to happen.  It depends on how much cable has to be laid, but it easily costs upwards  of $100,000 to bring cable to a new area.  Cable companies are not spending that kind of dough for a dozen customers when the return on a high rise is so much better and requires so much less infrastructure.

My sister dealt with someone who complained to the cable commission because they'd built a huge multimillion dollar home at least a mile from the nearest neighborhood.  The owner was a radiologist who wanted cable so he could read films from home and not have to go into the hospital at night; he covered multiple hospitals that way and it was very lucrative for him, but not worth it to the cable company to lay the fiber for just one home. They offered to do it if he would pay $75,000 for the installation and he went ballistic and went to court, claiming that the cable company was endangering lives by not giving him service.  It was laughed out of court.  You would think that someone planning to build a new home who needs cable to do their job might've done a little research first.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2022 at 9:46 PM, amarante said:

But I also think roof decks are generally not used in real life because shlepping everything up to the roof and back down again is a lot of effort.

Anecdotally, everyone I know who has one uses it. I’ve been to a lot of roof deck parties.

• Like 2

Oklahoma City, house hunter wants a property she can use as an event venue for weddings, Angel is newly divorced, an event planner.  She's turning her current house into assisted living, and new home will be for her to live in, and have events, such as weddings.    She wants 3 to 4,000 sq ft.   I guess HOA and community rules never crossed her mind?     Her agent Denise needs a new hairstyle, and clothing advise.   $675k budget.  

House 1- $675k, giant front entry doors.   3 bed 2.5 bath, 4500 sq ft. it's on a lake. main bedroom and ensuite are both huge.   

House 2-$540 k, 4 bed 3 bath 3300 sq ft, kitchen is fantastic.  Angel wants to eliminate a bedroom for event space, and for a nice bathroom.  ensuite has a wet room, she wants to make the fence taller, bet that's a code issue, 

House 3-$600k, great backyard, and view. 3500 sq ft, on a golf course , 4 bed 3 bath, split bedroom plan. ensuite is huge. there's a second primary suite too. 

All of the houses seem small for the huge events she claims she wants to have.   

She chose # 1, bought at $625k.    

I'm wondering if the house is zoned for commercial use?  Valet parking sounds nice, but where will they park the cars?   She was talking about hosting huge events, so either that was just a storyline, or she never checked the rules for her area.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Oklahoma City, house hunter wants a property she can use as an event venue for weddings, Angel is newly divorced, an event planner.  She's turning her current house into assisted living, and new home will be for her to live in, and have events, such as weddings.    She wants 3 to 4,000 sq ft.   I guess HOA and community rules never crossed her mind?     Her agent Denise needs a new hairstyle, and clothing advise.  

Bwwwaaahhh on the hair. Pretty funny. My first thought was HOA rules also. Maybe she'll host small weddings? Family in rural Wisconsin have a lovely renovated barn and people drive by and stop in and ask to use it for weddings at least once a month. 

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
27 minutes ago, BAForever said:

My first thought was HOA rules also.

My first thought was zoning laws. Will she be able to run a business in a place zoned  residential? As soon as residents notice the increased traffic related to the home, there will be trouble from the municipal government. On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking that this woman and her agent have not taken all this into consideration.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojito said:

My first thought was zoning laws. Will she be able to run a business in a place zoned  residential? As soon as residents notice the increased traffic related to the home, there will be trouble from the municipal government. On the other hand, I have a hard time thinking that this woman and her agent have not taken all this into consideration.

There are also infrastructure considerations.  If she's going to host weddings and other events, there needs to be parking nearby.  The neighbors are not going to take kindly to dozens of cars parked up and down the street with the possibility of drunken partygoers disrupting their sleep. She needs major outdoor lighting if they are holding anything outside, which based on the size of the buildings, must be the plan.  And some sort of shelter, temporary or otherwise, in case of bad weather.  Then there's the commercial kitchen and adequate restroom facilities that clients would expect.

It would be cheaper to build from scratch in an appropriately zoned, non-residential area.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, y'all made me look. I record HH and only watch if the comments warrant it. 

So, OKC. First, the real estate agent needs to delete the phone number of her plastic surgeon. Why do women do that to themselves?

Regarding her home being used for events, not every community has HOAs. The one community I lived in that had an HOA was strictly to pay for use of the swimming pool, tennis courts, and small club house that could be rented for $50/day. I had my wedding there. The HOA had no say in what you did with your house as in paint colors or what you could park in your driveway or lawn or used as a business.  I agree zoning laws are what need to be considered. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1

I'm wondering about the bathroom regulations. She was talking about closing off that one bedroom so the bathroom could be used by party guests. But my understanding is there are regulations that state how many bathrooms there must be per number of guests. I was thinking about her party guests lined up waiting to use the bathroom, especially if alcohol is being served. I don't remember the number of bathrooms in the house she actually purchased.

Also, permits? If you're charging money I believe you have to have a permit and insurance.

I bet that story was all BS and she's flipping the house or something.

Also, yes, the agent has great legs. But I'm also in my 50s and I'm big on age appropriate clothing, so I cringed at the short shorts. But I guess she's of the mindset that one shouldn't change how one dresses just to adhere to societal norms. Or something. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Like everyone else I think the Oklahoma story was even more bogus than most of the stories where at least they are generally only *fake* fighting over styles

I can't imagine how you could possibly host a wedding or other catered event in that space.

If she is thinking of doing monetizing the space in some way the only thing I can think of would be renting it as a party place of some kind. I have never been to a wedding or other kind of "formal" event where anyone wanted or needed a pool

The kitchen also made no sense for true catered events because the kitchen is NEVER visible - no one at the reception for a wedding wants to be able to see the kitchen staff cooking. 

And yes - how do you hold an event and expect one powder room to be sufficient for guests.  So you would need Porta Potties which is generally not what most people really want at a formal catered event.

And even though Oklahoma is probably the Wild West in terms of regulations, I can't imagine that you can stage sizable parties without appropriate fire safety in terms of exits.

And logistically even if you have valet parking, are the valet parkers going to clog the streets with cars. And what about the noise - most residential areas have noise restrictions and the houses were fairly close to each other.

Ironically my friend was talking about a Halloween bash that is hosted annually by a very wealthy guy in Beverly Hills. He is very aware of keeping on good terms with his neighbors and so he invites everyone in the area who might be disturbed OR he provides them with a free night at the Beverly Hills Hotel (or equivalent) if they aren't party people. Lots of celebrities and no one complains. Of course it is only once a year.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

age appropriate clothing

At the beginning, when they drinking champagne the realtor  her shorts were unzipped!

Edited by edie3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

The Alabama couple really had some major quirks.  Had to move 45 minutes closer to be near her grandkids.  Guess they never heard of getting in a car for a relatively short drive to accomplish this.  Also very critical of faults found in these homes, especially in their price range.  Never met a person that had to have the same cabinetry throughout their entire house unless it was a custom house that they were building and even then wouldn't always be the case.  And let's not forgot the structured panel wiring.  Very picky for what they wanted to spend on a house.

• Like 3

After reading the comments about the Oklahoma City episode, I watched it last night.  Good grief!!!  So, first she's going to turn her present house into essentially a group home for up to 4 elderly adults.  Where I live, that would take a rezoning waiver from "single family" designation.  Maybe OKC doesn't have zoning requirements for that.  Second, she wants to buy a house where she can rent out part of it for parties.  Finding something like that with her present plan for spending would be tricky.  I wondered why she didn't sell her present house and combine that $$ with what she plans to spend on a venue already set up for her idea.  Oh, yeah, she's probably going to get some type of tax break or subsidy on the adult group home.  Of course, that is never explained to viewers.  

I have no idea what show the realtor was auditioning for with her fashion choices, but too bad What Not To Wear isn't on the air anymore.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

After reading the comments about the Oklahoma City episode, I watched it last night.  Good grief!!!  So, first she's going to turn her present house into essentially a group home for up to 4 elderly adults.  Where I live, that would take a rezoning waiver from "single family" designation.  Maybe OKC doesn't have zoning requirements for that.  Second, she wants to buy a house where she can rent out part of it for parties.  Finding something like that with her present plan for spending would be tricky.  I wondered why she didn't sell her present house and combine that $$ with what she plans to spend on a venue already set up for her idea.  Oh, yeah, she's probably going to get some type of tax break or subsidy on the adult group home.  Of course, that is never explained to viewers.  

I have no idea what show the realtor was auditioning for with her fashion choices, but too bad What Not To Wear isn't on the air anymore.   

Totally although the insanity of the "wedding" venue made me lose focus on the first craziness.

I don't know what she means by senior residence home. Oklahoma might be a place where there is no regulations for this but where I am these kinds of assisted living facilities are regulated and have real requirements in terms of having some kind of medical staff available and what kind of services are being done? Any kind of dispensing of medication requires that it be done by someone with at least an LPN license. Are they going to provide people to help with so-called "acts of daily living" - i.e. help with dressing, bathing and even eating. Providing food requires people familiar with institutional cooking in terms of safety and many places strictly regulate nutritional aspects of food provided for seniors in assisted living. Staffing has to be 24/7 and would include daily housekeeping generally, laundry etc.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I remember when they wanted to put a residential assisted living home in a subdivision near me in Colorado Springs.  It wasn't for elderly, but for younger people with severe developmental disabilities, who needed constant supervision.  There was a huge process, including a public hearing. All kinds of regulations about staffing, number of residents, and all kinds of zoning issues. 

I suspect the process for the Oklahoma house for assisted living would be quite long and involved.  I bet the event venue would be just as complicated.

I was sure the third house on the golf course wouldn't be the one she bought.  Most of the golf course subdivisions I've heard about have their own country club, and you can't have big events at your own home.    I bet the second home was also an HOA area too, so no big events there either.   No fence between the yard and neighbors on either side, and no fence to keep people off the golf course either.    

The morning HGTV marathon is sad.  So many who demand the biggest and most expensive, only to impress others.   Of course, they rerun LePeaches in Huntsville.      Then the other family moving from Hawaiii to Huntsville, I can't believe they even considered the house on the pond, and river, with the boat house.    That house is definitely a flood area.     I like the house that couple bought, #1, in a great location, a very nice house.    

Temeculah, she demands they spend up to the highest amount they were approved for.   They're also on their fourth agent.   This is a 2022 episode, so I guess the possibility of going way over asking doesn't cross their minds?   He also wants goats and chickens, but they're looking in subdivisions. 

The new episode Thursday night in Denver, they bought for $850k, with a listing price of $687,500.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was sure the third house on the golf course wouldn't be the one she bought. 

Did those houses have fences between the yards?  It looked wide open to me, and I just couldn't imagine being her neighbor and her having a hundred strangers milling around in her back yard that is not my back yard only by virtue of an invisible property line.

A wrought iron fence would at least keep them corralled, but I'd still have to be looking at (and listening to) them.  Actually, didn't she specifically say she didn't want a property with a fence.  Also known as "fuck the neighbors." 

I really disliked that woman.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Milwaukee, WI. The homebuyer is the younger sister?! To me, she looks like the older sister. Dad seemed pretty chill. I'm not impressed with the properties which is too bad since Milwaukee looks nice. Ana made some good updates. I like the color she did in the dining room. 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, amarante said:

Like everyone else I think the Oklahoma story was even more bogus than most of the stories where at least they are generally only *fake* fighting over styles

I can't imagine how you could possibly host a wedding or other catered event in that space.

If she is thinking of doing monetizing the space in some way the only thing I can thi

And logistically even if you have valet parking, are the valet parkers going to clog the streets with cars. And what about the noise - most residential areas have noise restrictions and the houses were fairly close to each other.

The valet parking thing was a puzzlement.  As this was a residential area, it's unlikely that there is a large parking lot nearby for the valets to use.  If the venue holds 100 or more guests, there are most likely at least 50 cars to park.  Most residential streets cannot handle that many parked cars within walking distance, so, are they going to use vans or something to transport guests from a lot or some sort of vehicle for the valets to go back and forth from the venue to the lot?  How much time is it going to take the valet to retrieve a car and bring it back so people can leave?  What about events where everyone is leaving at the same time?  How many valets will be needed?  How long are guests willing to wait for their car to be retrieved from a remote lot? 

What about caterer's vans and trucks, trucks delivering tents or chairs and tables, speakers and equipment for the band or DJ?  There needs to space up close to the house for those things to be delivered and picked up.  How are they all going to manuver in and out of the driveway at the same time?  Even with a circular driveway, the logistics would be a nightmare.  Is there a way for an access road to the back to be built?  Having to haul large items around or through the house is going to be difficult.

I also wondered how she thought a single bathroom, not even one with multiple stalls, would be enough for any well attended event.  At the very least, she'd need a minimum of 2 powder rooms and I expect that she'd be legally required to have a handicap adapted room with wide doors, wheelchair access and railings.  I certainly wouldn't want to rent a venue that couldn't accommodate guests who needed such facilities.

Of course, this was a woman who was bragging about her genius in turning her previous home into an 'assisted living' facility after realizing that she had friends whose parents needed them.  No mention of state regulations and massive renovations needed to bring a typical home into compliance as an assisted living facility.  Maybe she did it on the down-low and moved her friends' parents into the home without getting an actual license.

Both she and her realtor were in dire need of deep conditioning products for their hair and a makeover to bring them into the 21 century style-wise although I expect they both thought they looked terrific.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 4

I officially have a new *rant* to add to my list of HH idiocies.

My old list included

Asking if the countertop was granite after expressing a "need" although lately people have been asking about quartz as that is now the newer trend

Sub idiocies are asking if marble is more "upscale" than quartz or granite

Asking if floors are wood - if you can't recognize plastic from wood maybe you don't need them.

But multiple times people have been calling a single bowl under-mounted kitchen sink a farmhouse sink. NO NO NO NO - A "farmhouse" style sink is one the has an 'apron" in front and the basin and sides of the sink are continuous to the apron. It can be made of Fireclay, enamel, stainless steel or copper but it always has the "apron" - that is the distinguishing feature. 

And of course the realtor who pulls remodel figures out of their arses and claims that a bathroom renovation can be done for $3000 and wood floors installed for the same amount over the entire lower floors.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 11/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I This is a 2022 episode, so I guess the possibility of going way over asking doesn't cross their minds?   He also wants goats and chickens, but they're looking in subdivisions. 

The new episode Thursday night in Denver, they bought for $850k, with a listing price of $687,500.       

We've had a lot of episodes where the buyers went right to the limits of their loan qualification and purchased a home for well over the asking price after a bidding war.  Who are these people who seemingly thought the housing bubble would never burst?  I understand needing a decent place to live, but when housing costs have spiraled upwards out of sync with the rest of the economy; overspending is a very dumb idea.  It's been kinda obvious, even to those of us who weren't selling or buying a home; that we were in the midst of a seller's market the last couple years and it wouldn't last because it never does.

I'd like for an episode or two of some of these people now and in the months ahead who find themselves under water on their mortgage on a home that isn't worth what they paid for it.  I imagine some of these dumb bunnies even have adjustable rate mortgages and their payments are now rising rapidly.

• Love 4

Re: the valet parking. My husband has a former colleague whose parents are very well off. Their weekend home is a large home waterfront on steep banks of the Severn River across from the Naval Academy. Every year they hosted 2 large viewing parties when the Blue Angels did their flyovers for graduation, one on the practice day and one the next day. There is only parking for about 5 cars. They easily had 50-80 people there. There is no large parking nearby, just winding roads on the steep hillside. They used valet parking. You just pulled up to the front door, gave your keys to the valet, and they parked your car off the side of the neighborhood streets. They made it work.

ETA: The parties were catered, so all the catering stuff happened before guests arrived.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1
  • Love 1