Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Just got an email saying that second that a second 9:15 show has been added to the NY screening and a costume exhibition on the red carpet.  

I hope I get in to the first one! 

Edited by peacefrog
  • Love 1

This is my very first post, so please forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong thread etc.

I just spotted this new trailer for Season 1B on EW. Most of it is respliced clips from the other trailers but I believe there is some new stuff too--correct me if I'm wrong; I don't recall Diana Gabaldon's specific comments about Jamie and Claire that we see in this. Anyhow, I loved it.

"Outlander exclusive featurette: Find out what married life is like for Jamie and Claire"

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/27/outlander-exclusive-featurette-find-out-what-married-life-jamie-and-claire

Edited by iheartlife
  • Love 1

http://globalnews.ca/news/1908067/outlander-star-sam-heughan-discusses-romance-violence-on-hit-series/

The link above is of Sam being interviewed on a Canadian morning show and the thing that is most interesting to me is that it includes clips from episode 9!  That's the first place I've seen either of the scenes shown during the interview.  I'll slip behind the spoiler bar to say what they are 

There's a clip showing Willie riding up to tell Jamie that Claire has been snatched by the redcoats. He tells him that she was fighting and struggling. The second clip (which has no sound but is played while the interview with Sam continues) shows Jamie having a long conversation with Laoghaire.

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that ^^^ ! I just was reading that very article and didn't bother to watch the video clip, which was obviously a big mistake!

What a great interview of Sam after that clip.

I am literally counting down the minutes to April 4 now.

What's more, that highly engaged new audience has mobilized into a social marketing army for the network.

That's a line from the Adweek story above and may I just say, Damn right!  Our success in fan surveys driven by social media has been nothing short of amazing.  Outlander fans . . . we're a little bit scary.  Brilliant.  But scary.

I was focusing on this one:

It comes as no surprise that the network is looking to benefit from Outlander's success for many years to come. While Albrecht's plan is to produce one season of the series for every book (Gabaldon has written eight so far), he went on to joke, "We hope it will be around forever!"

• Love 2

Squeeeeeee!  Have you seen the 3-minute+ sneak peek for episode 9?  I just saw it on Outlander's Facebook page.  Run do not walk there.  It actually does what I thought that first sneak peek was supposed to do. 

It shows how Jamie came to be crouched in that window. It's SOOOO good.

I don't know if links to Facebook work but here goes:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=851842094875001&set=vb.524783437580870&type=2&theater

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

For me, that link says the content is currently unavailable. Maybe it's because I don't have Facebook.

Nidratime, I got that message too, but once I signed in to Facebook the video started playing. Know anyone whose login you can use? ;)

I am signed in to FB and it still gives me that error message. I went directly to the Outlander page and didn't see it, either.

Hopefully someone on tumblr or YT has captured it.

Here it is. Remember this is spoiler stuff. It's the opening, I'm guessing, of episode 9.

ETA: From various tweets I'm seeing looks like Outlander -- in some form -- is going to be on Good Morning America and The Today Show tomorrow morning.

Outlander ‏@Outlander_Starz 5m5 minutes ago

We'll also be at the SW corner of 50th/5th, 6:30 AM tomorrow for the @TODAYshow! First 30 to use code #TartanAffair get an #Outlander shirt

Outlander @Outlander_Starz  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

NYC! Join us at the NE corner of 42nd/ Broadway at 6:30 AM tomorrow as #Outlander invades @GMA! First 30 fans that arrive receive a shirt.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was listening to Sirius XM radio and they just announced that EW Radio is having an Outlander Special on Friday April 3rd @ 7pm eastern 4pm pacific with the cast of Outlander. They usually do these kinds of special for blockbuster movies or shows like Game of Thrones or the last one was last Friday for the Walking Dead. The cast is usually interviewed for an hour. I think they taped it today because there are photos of them at the Sirius XM building this morning. 

Edited by mtsmvfn

Did any of y'all get into the premiere? I had a guaranteed ticket and did not get in. Was handed a ticket for a 9 pm screening instead, but with no panel it hardly seemed worth it. 

I got into the 9pm screening. I only got out of work about an hour early, and I saw that a line had started forming around mid-day, so I figured there was little chance of getting into the 7pm. I went with another Outlander-obsessed friend, and neither of us have Starz, so we were willing to stick it out. We made friends with the people around us, and the swag was nice - free Outlander-branded flasks. We didn't even see the costume exhibit (communication wasn't great), but just seeing Ron Moore and the cast up close and the screening itself was worth it. So much fun! And I thought the episode was great, very action-packed.

• Love 1

Oh that's nice the cast stayed! Based on all of the email confirmations I got, I thought this would just be a matter of picking tickets up at will call and going in the theater. Lesson learned.

(edited)

Yeah, the cast stayed! Once everyone was in the theater (it was about half to 2/3 full I'd say), Ron Moore came out and thanked everyone for staying, apologized for the wait (he said normally at these things half the people don't show up, but... everyone showed up!). Then one by one he brought up all the cast members who were there (Gary Lewis, Lotte Verbeek, Graham McTavish, Tobias, Sam, and Cait). And they all said a short little something.

It was really funny, because I was sitting towards the back of the middle section, and right before Ron came out I noticed some guy come sit down in the row behind me with a glass of beer, joking to the women sitting there that it was no scotch, but better than nothing. Then Ron came out and the first cast member he announced was Gary Lewis, and the guy jumps up and runs on stage! Very charming.

Edited by Keeta

This list, which is comprised of short commentaries by a guy at Buzzfeed while watching all of the first 8 episodes is hilarious.

172 Thoughts I Had Watching “Outlander” Season 1, Part 1

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/172-thoughts-i-had-watching-outlander-season-1-part-1?utm_term=.qujVKnlrE#.ct0k5xbaj

Also, this is a cute review by a Scottish journalist:

Michelle McManus: sorry Colin Firth, Outlander's Sam Heughan is the man for me

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/opinion/columnists/sorry-colin-firth-sam-heughan-is-the-man-for-me-202193n.122196684

• Love 1
(edited)

I got there around 1, they moved the line 2 times and we kept getting shuffled further back. While waiting Ron came over to visit and my friend and I got a selfie with him. As mentioned above all confirmed tickets didn't even get in. We were handed tickets to next show.

My friend and I decided to check out the red carpet and we scored a spot at the entrance to the theatre at the end of red carpet. We met everyone! They were all so nice and patient.  I brought an Outlander paperback and got everyone's autograph. I tweeted some pictures, I'm peacefrog7 if you want to look. Gary Lewis is awesome! 

We ended up being so tired and satisfied with meeting cast that we skipped the 2nd screening and went home. I regret not seeing the costumes of course but we realized we can wait 3 more days to see episodes.

Edited by peacefrog
  • Love 2

That's exactly how I felt about the screening--Saturday isn't far away. I did get a quick peek at the costumes though; they were gorgeous and lush. 

• Love 1

And now for something completely different . . . 

http://www.wsj.com/video/outlander-stars-talk-scotland-independence/1979E975-4C62-4857-A0D6-47FF8CEE3C73.html

Sam and Tobias wind up at the Wall Street Journal being asked about the Scottish Independence vote.  It's little moments like this when the intelligence and diplomacy of these men really shines through.  I feel so lucky that these guys signed on to bring this story to life.

I"m ashamed to say that I found it rather adorable that they are dressed alike and that I caught myself gazing approvingly at Sam's man-bun.

• Love 5

thank you, mtsmvfn, for the heads up re: tonight's Sirius radio Q&A with the Outlander folk.  It was one of the best interviews so far.  Better questions and good answers.  Also, liked to hear the camaraderie that the cast shares.  Also, thank you watchrTrina for the WSJ Cafe tip.  Interesting to hear the Scot and British opinions on Scottish independence.  Thought Tobias's answer was really gracious.  Have to admit that Mr. Menzies is what I call "sneaky sexy" - his appeal kinda sneaks up on you!  

Also, thank you watchrTrina for the WSJ Cafe tip.  Interesting to hear the Scot and British opinions on Scottish independence.  Thought Tobias's answer was really gracious.  Have to admit that Mr. Menzies is what I call "sneaky sexy" - his appeal kinda sneaks up on you!  

Did you hear Tobias on the Home and Garden interview? I'm thinking it must've been posted here somewhere. He's charming here:

Hey, @OutlanderCast Tobias interview on Home and Family: http://outlander-online.com/2015/04/03/video-tobias-menzies-interview-at-home-family/

They share some kind of on-screen something: chemistry, magic, spark, whatever you want to call it. I like watching them together, and not just in the sexy parts. That’s the simplest way I can put it. They work. It’s good casting

Quote is from the interesting article above.

I agree. Sam isn't all like I imagined book-Jamie. Ditto Catriona. But they are TV Jamie & Claire and I like what they're doing with the roles.  They definitely have on-screen chemistry. The show would have been a disaster without it, so kudos to casting.

There are so many shows where the romantic couple share no chemistry, and it's cold to watch.

(edited)

I had to laugh at Tobais' interview during the Home & Family show on the Hallmark channel.  They showed a clip from episode 1 where Claire sees Black Jack for the first time and asks "Who the bloody hell are you?"  They actually bleeped the word "hell".  That made me laugh because I think most Americans would not think  that the word "hell" needs bleeping on a family show while a fair few Brits would prefer that the word "bloody" not be allowed on a family show.  

I have to applaud the hard-working actors of this show.  They doing a simply HUGE number of PR gigs this week, and doing it with amazing charm and professionalism  I'll bet they are looking forward to 14-hour shooting days in the cold and rain with anticipation as a respite from the rigors of the press junket.

Psssst, the show comes back tonight OMGOMGOMG!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another good review of the next few episodes of the show. General spoilers are mentioned throughout the review, so don't read if you want to remain totally unspoiled:

It’s a risqué venture as steamy ‘Outlander’ returns on Starz

http://nypost.com/2015/04/03/its-a-risque-venture-as-steamy-outlander-returns-on-starz/

ETA: Another interesting article on Outlander. (There seems to be so many of them.)

"Outlander" is the Rare Show Where Women Aren't an Afterthought

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/outlander-is-the-rare-show-where-women-arent-an-afterthought

Edited by Nidratime
Removed spoiler tags
  • Love 1

I'll confirm what they're doing on the premiere date as soon as it becomes available*.

Quoting myself to say that yesterday, I didn't get the chance to check what time the episode first became available on Amazon Instant Video over here, but hopefully will get a chance to do so next week.

(edited)

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/05/outlander_stars_on_spanking_tv_sex_and_the_female_gaze_women_have_been_starved_for_quite_a_while/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This is one of the best interviews about Outlander that I've read in a very long time.  It's with Sam and Cait and is very specific to how they played two crucial scenes in episode S109 The Reckoning.  I spotted one spoiler in it -- a vague reference to something that will happen in a future episode -- but for the most part it's an in-depth analysis of how these two actors approached this episode.

And here's a really good review of the episode by, of all things, The Wall Street Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/04/04/outlander-mid-season-premiere-recap-episode-109-the-reckoning/

The single best line in the review is from its note about the next episode, which I will put behind spoiler bars just in case.  

"Next week: Claire resumes her role as first-person storyteller, which is good, because women tend to be better at dealing with silly, vengeful teenagers. They’re not as distracted by boobs."

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

While I have been interested reading so many peoples opinions on the spanking scene, I do wish people focused on everything that happened. There was a lot happending that had nothing to do with spanking! 

Or just talk about how the theme song is constantly stuck in their heads again, like it is in mine...

• Love 1

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/05/outlander_stars_on_spanking_tv_sex_and_the_female_gaze_women_have_been_starved_for_quite_a_while/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This is one of the best interviews about Outlander that I've read in a very long time.  It's with Sam and Cait and is very specific to how they played two crucial scenes in episode S109 The Reckoning.  I spotted one spoiler in it -- a vague reference to something that will happen in a future episode -- but for the most part it's an in-depth analysis of how these two actors approached this episode.

Thanks for the link, WatchrTina!  That salon.com in indeed really good, a real eye-opener—in a good way.  I've always had trouble with the "I dinna I wasn't going to like it" line, but Sam's explanation made a lot of sense, and put me in Jamie's frame of mind.  Interesting that both Sam and Cait said they didn't play the scene for laughs.  It gives us a great insight into the acting process and the production.  And realizing that what the actors are going for might not play out that way in the final edit.