Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I haven't posted in this forum yet, I've only just joined the site but I'm loving Outlander was a little late starting the show, but had an Outlander marathon yesterday through until this morning. I was interested in some of the topics within the show like apothecary and period Scottish clothes and things. I was having a look around their website and stumbled upon Pocket Jamie :P If anyone else is a BIG Jamie fan, then you need to see this, you cut Jamie out take different photos or/selfies and share them to the facebook/twitter site they have provided and the favorites are posted on their page.

Pocket Jamie print out link - http://www.starz.com/PublishingImages/Originals/Outlander/Extras/downloadable_pocketjamie.pdf

Also a couple of other links i thought were interesting and i wanted to share were -

Desktop pic, cover photos and even mini kilts to put on your phone amongst other things haha - http://www.starz.com/_ajax/originals/outlander/extras/extras  

Also if like me, you to found yourself wanting to know more about apothecary, take a look at the Apothecary Cabinet made to look like Claire's Cabinet - http://www.starz.com/apothecary/apothecary.html

• Love 4

As a Brit I predict that if/when Outlander gets picked up in the UK it will be less popular than GOT but more popular than "The White Queen" (and entirely English but still contentious affair), but it would be interesting if someone suddenly picked it up. Although I don't get the sense that the books are as popular in the UK as they are in the US the "romantic sexy Highlander vs awkward English person" is a well read trope even in England and I don't think it would have made the blind bit of difference, there are a lot of shows pushing "isn't Scotland beautiful/awesome/powerful" and its not like anyone needed the reminder that they disliked the English/Westminster. Very few like Westminster, just like very few like DC.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

Somebody posted this on another message board, so I don't have a link to the source:

Big gains for Outlander this week in the ratings, this is the second week in a row. The hype is really spreading.

Outlander total viewers 1.233 Million total viewers

0.32 (18-49)Demo

Season high in the total viewers and demo.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-25-saturday-cable-originals-9-20-2014.html

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 3

The adequate repeats really help. One of the minor Starz channels ran a marathon of all the episodes Sunday and I saw the regular channel will be doing it as lead-up to the finale this Saturday. Plus, they're all On Demand. In short: word of mouth is spreading and it's real easy to catch up.

Edited by kariyaki

Starz has just announced that the second half of season one will premiere on April 4, 2015 (per dedline.com) And those ratings numbers, btw, are fantastic! The 5 million figure would be the total of live plus seven days.

Ahead of its mid-season finale on Saturday, Starz has announced its hit series Outlander will return with the remaining eight episodes from Season 1 on Saturday, April 4, 2015. The series, adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling books and executive produced by Ronald D. Moore, has already been picked up for a second season. Its seventh episode, “The Wedding” drew approximately 3.8M viewers in Live+3, the most on Starz since episode 5 of Spartacus: Vengeance in February 2012. It has averaged more than 5 million viewers for each of the first 4 episodes.

Damn.  Six months is a long time.  And that would put it up at the same time as season 5 of Game of Thrones.

Yes it is.  And I would also imagine the August date for the premiere of the 2nd Season is thing of the past also.  Doesn't make sense to make the audience wait 6 months to view the back eight of Season 1 and then roll into the 2nd season only a few short months after that.  I LOVE this show and the wait is going to be agony!

Edited by onthebrink03

My first reaction is: that's B.S.!  6 months to wait for 8 episodes?  I wonder if they are planning to run the entire series this way, 8/8 a season, spread over a 6 month gap?  If so, I guess it might be a good plan overall and gives them time to do the story without having to rush through filming.  Oh well, I'm not quitting the series in any case.  I will be quitting Starz after this mini-season is done though, I usually don't have premium channels unless DirectTV offers them to me as a thank you for being a customer, which is how I got Starz this time anyway.  I'll live.

I am surprised at this long of a break, but like I will live too. Maybe this will also allow the actors now to make some talk show circuits to promote the second half. That would be fun.

Would this 1st half season be eligible for the next Golden Globes?

The people on the Outlander FB page are going apeshit.  Everyone is crying, "BUT YOU SAID JANUARY!"

No one said January.  People assumed because they said "Early 2015".

I think the confusion was because Sam tweeted or something that they were back to filming in January. Right after that I saw a ton of people commenting everywhere that the season was returning in January. I just shook my head and thought there were going to be some irate people in a few months. Lol
  • Love 1

Maybe some momentum, but people will tune in to watch.  They do for other shows.  

Outlander is good.  It's a beautifully shot show.  The characters and actors are for the most part superb.  The story is fascinating and the adaptation for the most part is pretty spot on.  Why wouldn't people tune in?  Leading up to it, you know they will show re-runs of the first 8 episodes.

They finished principal filming YESTERDAY!!!  There is still months of post production.  Bear needs to score episodes, editing, etc.  

I'd rather it be done well and right than rushed.

I think the confusion was because Sam tweeted or something that they were back to filming in January. Right after that I saw a ton of people commenting everywhere that the season was returning in January. I just shook my head and thought there were going to be some irate people in a few months. Lol

Filming Season 2!!!  I'm shaking my head now.  I don't like to generalize people, but I'm biting my tongue. 

• Love 4

I am surprised at this long of a break, but like I will live too. Maybe this will also allow the actors now to make some talk show circuits to promote the second half. That would be fun.

Would this 1st half season be eligible for the next Golden Globes?

all the shows are doing that now. The first one that upset me was Falling Skies. There's only 8-10 episodes then almost a 10 month hiatus. I had completely forgotten about the show by the start of the second season. Only realized it because it was in my auto record list one day.

8 episodes is nearly a full season for most premium channel seasons, so it's not like they're leaving us with mere scraps to nibble on during the hiatus. If people won't tune in again after a 7 month wait, then they wouldn't wait a whole year to tune into season 2. I'm sure season 2's premiere won't be in August though, because then there'd be only, like, two months between the end of season 1 and 2.

• Love 3

SNIP

Filming Season 2!!!  I'm shaking my head now.  I don't like to generalize people, but I'm biting my tongue.

YES Season 2. I should have clarified that. I was just pointing out that Sam's comment about returning to filming (he didn't specify the season) in January was followed by misunderstood quotes that the show was returning in January.

Yes they're in post production which will include pick up filming so although Season 1 is already in the can the actors can't rest on their laurels because they may be called back to film additional scenes or reshoot others. then back to full shooting schedule in Jan. The writers are probably scrambling to get Season 2 scripts written so production can prep.

• Love 2

There's two other months in between January and April, so it's not like an either/or.

No, But like I said too.  Season 2 of Black Sails is coming up too.  Since the first season started in January I would assume that the 2nd season would start this January.  They will play out their 10 episodes.  Cable networks tend to keep 1 show at a time in order to keep the subscriptions.  At least that's their aim.

The people on the Outlander FB page are going apeshit.  Everyone is crying, "BUT YOU SAID JANUARY!"

No one said January.  People assumed because they said "Early 2015".

Fair enough that no one said January, but April isn't my definition of "Early 2015"

The Walking Dead is my favorite and they do it. I appreciate it.

The Walking Dead's Season 4 "mid-season finale" -- God, I hate that phrase -- aired on December 1, 2014. The "mid-season premiere" -- another AMC marketing POS expression -- aired on February 9, 2014, or 10 weeks later.

Episode 9 of "Season 1" of Outlander will air 27 weeks after Episode 8.

ABC Family does split seasons all the time. The Fosters season 2A ended on August 18th and will resume in early January with 2B as will Pretty Little Liars season 5B and Chasing Life season 1B so this doesn't faze me at all.

Fair enough that no one said January, but April isn't my definition of "Early 2015"

The Walking Dead's Season 4 "mid-season finale" -- God, I hate that phrase -- aired on December 1, 2014. The "mid-season premiere" -- another AMC marketing POS expression -- aired on February 9, 2014, or 10 weeks later.

Episode 9 of "Season 1" of Outlander will air 27 weeks after Episode 8.

Ok.  I look at Early 2015 as January - March.  April 4th is not that far off from the end of March.  YMMV.

We get 16 episodes as opposed to 10 for most cable programs.  

Again, they finished the last day of filming YESTERDAY as in September 24, 2014.  There is still much to be done in post production.  Do it right and well.

My incredulation is more at the people who are all upset and screaming "BUT JANUARY!!!!"   

Personally, yeah, I'm bummed as all get out. I love the show.  It's beautiful in all aspects (even with the dirty Highlanders).  

ETA:  Doctor Who, Mad Men, Sherlock all have followings that will still show up to watch.  What if Season 1 was just 8 episodes?  This would be a cliffhanger until next season.

Edited by Tif
  • Love 1

Ok.  I look at Early 2015 as January - March.  April 4th is not that far off from the end of March.  YMMV.

We get 16 episodes as opposed to 10 for most cable programs.

YES! They could have done just 10 then have a wait of a year or more.

Ron Moore knew there was a break and was able to film mid season finale. Sure April is awhile away but it will be fine. I love midseason breaks because you usually get a good cliff hanger in.

I mentioned The Walking Dead before and their break works great.

I love how the fans all forgot about the ring.

• Love 4