Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I don't think you're allowed to post in the episode thread until the episode has been aired here. It may even be locked until then.

We follow international air dates here so if the episode airs first in the UK, I'll open the topic for that date. We do the same with Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Downton Abbey.

• Love 1

The good news?  The show, Sam, Cait & Tobias were all nominated for Saturn awards.

The odd news?  Tobias was nominated for best actor and Sam for best supporting actor.  Based on screen time, it seems like those nominations should be reversed -- even with Tobias playing two roles.  Sam's in every episode.  Tobias is not.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-and-interstellar-lead-saturn-awards-noms-1201445494/

Oh well, congratulations to all anyway.

• Love 1

Couple of cool things.

Sam is featured in the April 2015 Cosmopolitan magazine:

http://www.outlandertvnews.com/2015/03/sam-heughan-featured-in-cosmopolitan-magazine-april-2015-issue/

And here is Sam surprising some Outlander fans who are checking out the new Outlander DVD. (Don't know where this was or why he was there.)

Sam has been in LA the past few weeks because of the indie film he's appearing in before Outlander begins filming season 2. (Per tweets from Sam) and he's been doing PR for the DVD set release. He's also got the Paley Center panel in a couple of weeks. Oddly, enough he's hasn't been doing a lot of tweets lately.

And I admit I fail to understand the Saturn Awards classification of Tobias as the lead when RDM and company have made clear Sam is the male lead from the get go. When I saw that I was puzzled, and I still am.

(edited)

Regarding the awards ... that's bizarre. Isn't it up to Starz and/or the production company to submit potential nominations in the correct categories?

Edited by Nidratime

After giving some thought to the awards question, I can see how Tobias got lead actor, especially since he was in every episode as either Frank or Black Jack.  If the Saturn awards work like most of the others then each actor can submit one episode for consideration.  His management team would have either selected Ep 6 or 8, since his work was exceptional in both (The Garrison Commander would have been my choice).  Tobias is an old pro at this, so I have no doubt his team submitted a tape.  

OTOH, Starz could have submitted a package of one (or more?) episode(s) for all categories.  If that was the case, Sam does have a supporting role to Cait, since it is really Claire's story and his screen time is much less than hers, with the exception of the wedding episode.  Of course, the wedding episode got the most buzz and favorable reviews so Starz would have been idiots not to have submitted it...

Well, this sounds cool. For those in the New York and surrounding states, it's a nice opportunity to meet some of the cast and Ron Moore. If it weren't in the middle of a work week, I'd consider making the trek north.

Join Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies, along with series creator Ronald D. Moore, at New York City's Ziegfeld Theater for an immersive Outlander viewing experience. Don’t miss this exclusive mid-season premiere event.
http://www.cvent.com/events/starz-outlander-nyc-premiere/event-summary-085bb2ee0a454f2c91c12f57f2fa7b90.aspx?RefID=outlanderevent

I signed up! Missed the guaranteed seats though (first 500). Looks like they overbooked the theater by about 1,000 seats, so not sure if I'll get in. Will probably have to leave work early to have a shot.

• Love 1

I'm giving it a shot! Did not get the guaranteed seats, just the email for first come, first seated. The theatre has around 1100 seats. Did they say the first 500 registered get a seat meaning 1000 total, or do they mean 500 seats given out? Chances are slim but it seems like it will be a fun time.

I hope they let us leave the line for a bathroom break because this will be one long day.

I'm giving it a shot! Did not get the guaranteed seats, just the email for first come, first seated. The theatre has around 1100 seats. Did they say the first 500 registered get a seat meaning 1000 total, or do they mean 500 seats given out? Chances are slim but it seems like it will be a fun time.

I hope they let us leave the line for a bathroom break because this will be one long day.

It looked like they had 2,200 spots total, and I'm assuming that number included the 500 reserved (although I could be wrong). In that case that would leave ~600 seats for 1,700 people(?).

It just better get warmer!

I guess if we don't get in we should still have a crazy experience.  I decided last minute to not get tickets to the one at 92Y in August because there was the threat of the LIRR strike and have regretted it since.

The odd news?  Tobias was nominated for best actor and Sam for best supporting actor.  Based on screen time, it seems like those nominations should be reversed -- even with Tobias playing two roles.  Sam's in every episode.  Tobias is not.

That is really odd. I can see them pushing Tobias as lead because he's more established, and actually, looking at the competition, has a decent shot of winning. Sam's not that young, but historically, younger actors have a better shot in the supporting category (although, arguably, the more meaty roles usually fall into supporting, which is another reason why Tobias would have been more fitting there), so the submissions could just be strategic. The women's category is just overflowing with talent. That'll be one hell of a race. 

(edited)

Thanks Nidratime for the links.  I thought Cait looked really pretty in that cream-colored dress. 

Also, under spoiler bar just in case anyone doesn't want to know what's coming up: 

That picture of Gary Lewis and Simon Callow together made me squee a bit. I can't wait to see these two powerhouse actors in a scene together!!

Edited by chocolatetruffle
  • Love 1

You know, I feel like a doofus because I had to have the blogger at "E!" point out to me that the posters advertising the first half of season one and the second half are essentially the same set up. The first one had Claire reaching towards Frank as Jamie is behind her reaching for her. The second poster has Claire thrusting a dagger out at BlackJack Randall in front of her while Jamie stands behind her with sword in hand.

You can compare them here. The second poster's at the top and the first poster is towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.eonline.com/news/632036/it-s-claire-vs-black-jack-outlander-s-dark-new-poster-is-so-epic?cmpid=tweol-manual

I know that some of you listen to Alastair and Lani's podcasts and interviews regarding Outlander called The Scot and the Sassenach, but there's also Mary and Blake's OutlanderCast podcast -- which are a bit less literary but still fun. They had a wonderful "get." They interviewed the director of The Wedding and Both Sides Now, Anna Foerster. It was a very informative and entertaining interview. (She let them know that she also directed the last two episodes of the coming half season, so *that's* got to have been some tough and challenging directing. She didn't give any spoilers ... happily. However, she said she thought the type of stuff they did had never been done on TV.)

Anyway, here's a link to the interview. I really enjoyed it. (It took a little time to queue up though.)

http://www.outlandercast.com/2015/03/outlander-cast-chats-w-director-anna.html

• Love 2

Interview by The Hollywood Reporter with Ron Moore regarding the show generally and the second half of the first season, particularly. I don't think there are any spoilers, just vague references to disturbing content at the end of the season.

'Outlander's' Ron Moore on "Horrific" Second Half, 

Leaving Scotland

, Creating Real Intimacy
10:00 AM PDT 3/12/2015 by Scott Huver

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/outlander-spoilers-jamie-claire-ron-780728

Mod Note: There is a potential spoiler in the title and within the linked article itself;  DO NOT click if you wish to remain fully unspoiled.

Edited by SilverStormm
Tagged spoiler

The best question for the Outlander panel at PaleyFest was a shout-out from the audience.  Ron was talking about how he decided to have a woman write the wedding episode and then thought it would be a good idea to get a female director as well and someone interrupted him to ask "Did she get paid as much as a man?"  To which he replied emphatically "Yes she did!" Great moment.

ETA:  Here's a link to an ET story on the panel and there is a link in it to video of the panel for those who missed it.

http://www.etonline.com/tv/161076_why_outlander_cast_is_absolutely_perfect/

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

I loved Ron Moore's comment about The Wedding, how it was so praised for the "female gaze", but all they were trying to do was to show something honest and truthful rather than "TV sex." And when you're honest and truthful, apparently that is the female view.

• Love 6

I thought I would share the following for peacefrog and anyone else going to the NY premiere of episode 9:

After signing up I saw there was an email address to contact for any questions, so I asked about what time to arrive to have a shot at getting in. This is the response I got:

An official line will start at 5:00PM at the theater, so arriving on the earlier side should increase your chances.

• Love 1

Thanks! Yeah I had asked her that also and she also thought if you are on the waiting list you have an excellent chance of getting in. 

I know some people are upset that there is not going to be a panel but I was under the impression that it was always just a screening.

Caitriona Balfe just posted this adorable tweet of her cheering on Sam Heughan while he was doing a marathon. I know the show has its fans here and I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing "Claire" and "Jamie" in real life.

Too cute. Sam Heughan's eyes are so ridiculously big and pretty. It's also cool to know that they're pretty good friends...probably helps a lot with their on-screen chemistry.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

There was another one of those fan polls last week.  This one was really about a person's influence in various social media settings.  Sam rose to the finals in the Twitter battle.  So, fine, I voted whenever I got the chance (and got locked out three times for voting too much but you do what you can).  Sam lost by a narrow margin.  Oh well -- he's won plenty of fan polls.  Then I looked more closely at the results.  

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/zap2it_social_media_showdown_2015_vote_for_your_platform_champions_in_round_4-2015-03

There were 4 polls.  The other three finals (Facebook, Instagram & Tumblr) got less than 300,00 votes each.  The Twitter final, between Sam and someone named Misha Collins, got over 4.2 MILLION votes.  Over 2 million of them were cast for Sam.

So then I went and looked up this Misha person (never heard of him.)  He has almost 2 million Twitter followers.  Sam has 120k.  And yet Sam got over 2 million votes.  

Outlander fans are AWESOME.  And dedicated.  And a bit scary.  :)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Misha Collins - I remember him as Castiel on Supernatural, but I didn't realize he was THAT popular.  That's great news for Sam, though and hopefully will translate to even more viewers when the show comes back in 13 DAYSSSSS!!!  (can you tell I'm a little bit excited).

Also, Elle Magazine interviews Cait and at the bottom of the article is a new trailer showcasing a fiercer Claire.

http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a27391/caitriona-balfe-outlander-interview/

• Love 2

Oh, I do apologize -- SilverStormm and others -- for that headline a week ago that had a little spoiler bit in it. So many articles have been published recently in anticipation of the 2nd half of the season that it's become "treacherous" in terms of spotting spoilers and negotiating them in articles.

Anyway, what I came here to mention is that I thought I saw a tweet today saying that Lotte (Geillis) will also be at the New York premiere on April 1.

Oh, I do apologize -- SilverStormm and others -- for that headline a week ago that had a little spoiler bit in it. So many articles have been published recently in anticipation of the 2nd half of the season that it's become "treacherous" in terms of spotting spoilers and negotiating them in articles.

Anyway, what I came here to mention is that I thought I saw a tweet today saying that Lotte (Geillis) will also be at the New York premiere on April 1.

No worries, it happens.

I don't believe there's anything in this article about Outlander's U.K. premiere that's a spoiler! I wouldn't have bothered posting it except for this one comment:

Video: Outlander enjoys homecoming as hit TV show is premiered in Glasgow and London

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/video-outlander-enjoys-homecoming-hit-5391731

The actors have signed a seven year contract so it appears the Outlander phenomenon could be around for some time.

Caitriona added: "That's standard in the US when you sign but we should be so lucky if it continues to go that long. We're really excited about season two and if that goes well there will hopefully be a season three.

"In this business you can never count on things so we'll take it one year at a time.

I've heard five years bandied about, but here it says the actors signed "the standard" seven year U.S.-type contract.

• Love 2

That's great news!  Of course, at the rate they are going, seven years does not mean seven seasons.  Sam was signed in late 2013 so if that's when the clock starts then by October of this year he'll be two years into his contract but will only have 1 and 1/2 seasons filmed.

Still, if they can get 5 seasons filmed in 7 years I'll count my blessings.  I was afraid that both Cait and Sam would find the USA-style 7-year commitment too constraining.  I'm glad to hear that it was not because if either of them left the show I think it would have to be cancelled.

• Love 1

Just Jared posted some images of Sam and Cait outside ITV Studios in London on Tuesday, and mentioned in the article online that filming for season 2 is to begin in May.

I have a feeling that Sam and Cait will be back in the US before then to further promote the mid-season premiere next week. I wonder who gets their frequent flier miles.

I pretty much assumed that as soon as they said the second half of season 1 wouldn't air until April.  Even if they started filming soon enough that technically speaking they could air in 2015, I don't think they would.  There was a 6 months break between the first and second half of season 1.  I don't think they'd schedule a shorter break between season 1 and 2 than between the two halves of season 1.  Which means December at the absolute earliest, and at that point, even if it was actually ready to go, it's such an awkward time to debut, right in the middle of the holidays.  We'll probably end up with season 2 premiering sometime around April 2016, after Black Sails has finished (unless Black Sails premiers earlier, since they've been filming season 3 already, but I would assume they'd want it to air around the same time next year as it did this year).  

I don't know that we'll necessarily get a split season for season 2.  We might, but we might not.  They haven't given a definite episode number yet, but the renewal was for "at least" 13 eps.  They could do more, but if it's just 13 they may not want to split it, or just for general scheduling reasons it may work better to air it all at once if they aren't debuting it until spring.  While I'm not looking forward to the wait, one year between premiere dates isn't that unusual for cable series.  So getting 8 eps this spring and then having to wait a year isn't totally shocking, or even that out of the ordinary if indeed we have to wait that long.  The split season makes it feel like they're stretching things out, but really we're getting content more regularly or just as regularly as most cable shows.  

A couple of reviews after the U.K. release:

Outlander, review: 'epic and gruesome'
History, love triangles, grisly warfare and kilts fuel this impressive rival to Game of Thrones, says Charlotte Runcie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11494463/Outlander-review-epic-and-gruesome.html

So You Didn't Read the Books... Why You Should Still Watch Outlander

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/outlander/244962/so-you-didnt-read-the-books-why-you-should-still-watch-outlander