Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Interview with Ron Moore about his career and showrunning which includes talk of Outlander. Apparently Ron and a group of other showrunners are being featured in a documentary titled: Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show.

Ronald D. Moore Talks SHOWRUNNERS, Marrying Creativity and Business, When to Walk Away from a Project, OUTLANDER, STAR TREK and More
http://collider.com/ronald-d-moore-showrunners-outlander-interview/

• Love 1

Interview with Ron Moore about his career and showrunning which includes talk of Outlander. Apparently Ron and a group of other showrunners are being featured in a documentary titled: Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show.

Ronald D. Moore Talks SHOWRUNNERS, Marrying Creativity and Business, When to Walk Away from a Project, OUTLANDER, STAR TREK and More

http://collider.com/ronald-d-moore-showrunners-outlander-interview/

I'm curious to know how they change it for international delivery, as he mentions.

Well A, it's the People's Choice Awards which are already lame and B, the categories are really stupid. Basically, I don't care, especially since when the Emmys come around I still don't care. They never nominate what should be nominated.

• Love 3

I didn't even know they still did the People's Choice!

I don't hold out much hope for the Golden Globes and SAG this year but hopefully next year and possibly a few Emmys(costuming, scoring, set design?) in the fall. Acting and writing would be nice depending on how the remaining 8 episodes go.

• Love 1

I'm with Kariyaki. Some of the best shows that have been on television have never won awards because they are on the wrong network or they are genre shows. If I don't even care about the Emmys, I'm definitely not caring about the people's choice awards.

• Love 3

And Sam is leading the pack into the third round of the BBC America Anglo Male tournament.....he's been way ahead of the entire field for the first two rounds,

The funny thing is that Scots aren't really true Anglos.  

Outlander -- specifically episode 7 and the portrayal of sex between Claire and Jamie -- is featured in a longish article which starts on the first page of the opinion section of today's Washington Post. Other shows are featured too, so it's not just about Outlander.

TV-MA, For mature audiences only: Sex on TV isn’t just getting hotter — it’s getting smarter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/for-mature-audiences-only-sex-on-tv-isnt-just-getting-hotter--its-getting-smarter/2014/11/21/59c1794e-6f6d-11e4-8808-afaa1e3a33ef_story.html?hpid=z6

Edited by Nidratime

Okay is it just me or is there a bit of bias going on at the BBC America website in the final round of their Anglophenia Fan Favorite poll?  The link on their home page to the final round of voting shows David Tennant and Richard Armitage (who's in the running for 3rd place) and does not show Sam -- who's been kicking butt through the whole poll and is David's actual opponent in the final round.  Then when you get to the voting page the text is almost all about how close David's wins have been (because I guess Sam's resounding victories have not been as exciting.)  Could they simply be trying to drum up excitement?  Or could there be just a wee bit of embarrassment at the BBC that a show about Great Britain, filmed IN Great Britain, but not actually SHOWN in Great Britain, is kicking ass in this tiny little corner of the internet?

I know it isn't a serious poll (you can vote as many times as you like so it really is a measure of the level of social media activity an actor can generate) but what the heck -- good PR is PR and and so I vote several times every day (until I hit a "captcha" code that is too difficult for me to read.)  I hope Sam wins for the men and Cait wins for the women (first rounds are happening in the women's poll now -- she is also kicking butt) so that both of them get a (small) boost to their PR visibility and awareness of the show increases.

Here's the link.  Vote early.  Vote often.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/fan-favorites/men-2014/round-5/match-1/

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Great day to be an Outlander fan.  The brief preview has really whetted my appetite and I will be ravenous by the time April comes along.  

I love that the fans rallied and brought home two wins for the show in the TV Guide competition.  Every little bit helps to raise the show's profile, hopefully tweaking interest and bringing in new fans.

And WatchrTina, I've voted a bit in that BBC poll.  I think it's quite important to show support there as England and Scotland are still dragging their feet in buying and airing it.  This final battle is becoming quite nasty with disparaging comments being made about Sam and the fandom often but the fans are keeping it classy.  He's doing well but the Tennant fans are a determined lot so it ain't over till it"s over.  Cait is killing it right now but I suspect it will get tougher as the field narrows.  

What's funny about that BBC America poll is that both Tennant and Sam are Scot; even more so, is that as far as I know, nothing Sam has done has ever aired on BBC America.

While I'm at it, Yahoo has posted a video of Sam discussing his personal watch list, and he mentions Hannibal, Friday Night Lights, and Star Trek:The Next Generation. FNL is a semi-surprise, but Sam started watching it when he was in the U.S. for pilot season.

• Love 1

Well the wife on FNL always seemed to have a glass of white wine in her hand.  Claire finds comfort in a bottle on a regular basis.  It fits.

Hence why my husband and I refer to a very full glass of white wine as a "Mrs. Coach."

• Love 5

Some fans on David Tennant's facebook page are accusing Outlander fans of cheating captcha codes to put Sam ahead in the BBC poll.  

I love David Tennant, but I've been voting for Sam.  I wouldn't cheat though.  

I'm with you Tif.  I love love love David Tennant.  But he's the 10th freaking Doctor Who AND he played Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Company.  His profile is sufficiently high.  I'm casting all my votes for Sam because he's a completely unknown actor who landed the role of a lifetime and is doing a GREAT job.  I want to do anything I can to boost awareness of him and of the show.  So he gets all my votes.

And how the heck could you game those captcha codes anyway?  They are a pain in the ass.  I'm so grateful when the numeric ones appear.  I have to give up when the "bad script" ones show up because I find them so hard to decipher.

• Love 2

I'm with you Tif.  I love love love David Tennant.  But he's the 10th freaking Doctor Who AND he played Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Company.  His profile is sufficiently high.  I'm casting all my votes for Sam because he's a completely unknown actor who landed the role of a lifetime and is doing a GREAT job.  I want to do anything I can to boost awareness of him and of the show.  So he gets all my votes.

And how the heck could you game those captcha codes anyway?  They are a pain in the ass.  I'm so grateful when the numeric ones appear.  I have to give up when the "bad script" ones show up because I find them so hard to decipher.

That's exactly my thought.  People are "Sam Who?" on David Tennant's posts about the poll.  I'm a huge fan of both, but I'm all about boosting Sam right now.  

• Love 1

Please state your opinions without involving fans or posters of other sites. This can lead to trolls and flame wars which is not good for us. You can state your thoughts without it. Thank you!

• Love 1

Time Magazine named Outlander's episode 7 one of the 10 best episodes of TV in 2014:

You know, due to the many other media things going on this past week I didn't really react to this.  This is HUGE.  TIME Magazine is a big magazine and they didn't just single out the show, they singled out an episode which means it increases the competition by a factor of 22:8 in many cases (lots of US TV shows air 22 new episodes in a year -- we've only seen 8 from Outlander.)

But this win makes perfect sense when I look at how I watch TV these days.  I DVR almost everything and then I find myself surprised at how I haven't been motivated to catch up on shows I used to love.  I've got 5 unwatched episodes of The Good Wife on my machine.  Got to get around to watching those.  I watched 3 episodes of Elementary last night and was playing on the iPad the whole time.  I had to keep backing up the recording because I'd miss key plot points.

But the wedding episode?  Not only did I watch it live.  Not only was there no iPad in my lap.  I pulled a dining room chair in front of the TV and sat 4 feet back from it so that screen consumed about the same space in my field of vision as it would watching a movie in a theater on a big screen.  And of course when it was over I pulled up the DRV menu and watched it all over again. More than once.

I do love that episode.  I'm glad it got such a nice shout-out from TIME.  The cast, crew, writers and director should all be proud.  But I wish the write-ups didn't focus quite so much on how good the sex scenes are and how it was shot with a "woman's eye".  I think that episode is so much more than that.  The looks on Jamie & Claire's faces and the conversation that follows AFTER the official consummation are, by themselves, worth the price of admission.  Yeah the sex and nudity was beautifully, tastefully and very sensually shot but I also love Dougal calling the priest a "dozy smoot" and look on Murtagh's face when claps Jamie on the shoulder downstairs.  Sigh.  I'm not going to let myself watch it again until April 4 then I'm watching S1:07 and S1:08 immediately prior to the next episode.

So the PR wins just keep on coming.  The People's Choice Award is a distinct possibility given the on-line voting dedication that was shown during Sam's run in the BBC Anglophenia poll.  Is an Emmy a possibility?  A Golden Globe?  I'm starting to think they might be.  And if that happens, hoo boy, that's really going to be a game-changer for the show.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

Alas, no Golden Globe nomination for Outlander this morning.  The Good Wife, which I record but can hardly be bothered to watch, did get one for best TV Drama.  So did Downton Abbey, which I loved in season 1 but was less enamored of in this most recent season.   Game of Thrones and House of Cards got the nod -- okay, I love those shows.  But The Affair?  Never even heard of it.  Apparently it's on Showtime.  I guess that last one filled the quota for small and/or new show on pay cable, edging out Outlander.  Color me disappointed.

Edited by WatchrTina

I know there might have been issues related to post-production, but I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot by limiting the season to 8 episodes, ending in September, losing momentum, and making people wait so long for the back 8. It just might have been too short and sweet to capture the attention of the nominating committee. Hopefully, after the next batch of episodes are shown, they'll regain momentum and the public's attention.

And I agree that Downton Abbey's running on fumes. I can't speak for The Good Wife, since I've never watched it and some who do are saying it's still strong. Game of Thrones is a given. House of Cards is kind of like GoT, a lot of shock and not as much nuance. Like you, I've never heard of The Affair ... which, I suppose, gives us hope that Outlander can grab some attention.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

Golden Globes: TV Nomination Oversights Hard to Overlook: Love for newcomers and savvy picks can't offset the injustices

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/golden-globes-2015-nomination-oversights-756560

For best drama, the Globes continue to really love Downton Abbey, which absolutely can't happen if you're going to do something asinine like jump in too early on The Affair. Those two block out The Americans (insert grinding of teeth sound here), The Walking Dead, The Leftovers, The Knick, Homeland, Penny Dreadful, Masters of Sex, Orphan Black, Rectify or perhaps something like Outlander from Starz which, unlike The Affair, actually improved as it went along.

Not to mention that little show known as Mad Men.

(Really, the more you try to get inside the mind of Globes voters — definitely not advised — you wonder how or why they decided to skip Outlander, which is right in their wheelhouse).

But then there's this:

11 Breakout TV Stars of 2014

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/10/breakout-tv-stars-of-2014/?utm_source=buzzsugar.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_article

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

What the hell is up with people looking up his kilt? That's appalling. I've heard of (I'm going to assume) other women doing it to Sam Heughan as well. What goes through these people's mind that they think it's ok?

Apologies for off topic rant.  It's otherwise a great clip.

• Love 1

Here's a radio interview with Diana Gabaldon from 12/10, I think, with a Seattle station. It's lengthy, from what I can see. I've only listened to about five or ten minutes of it, but I believe there are spoilers here for the books beyond the current 1/2 season that has aired and beyond Outlander. So, if you want to remain unspoiled, I wouldn't listen to it.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/northwestprime/2014/12/10/diana-gabaldon-author-of-outlander-book-and-tv-series

If you're having trouble getting the interview to play, under the orange sign up button in the upper right hand corner, there is a download button to click that will also let you play the interview.

• Love 1