Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I know there might have been issues related to post-production, but I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot by limiting the season to 8 episodes, ending in September, losing momentum, and making people wait so long for the back 8. It just might have been too short and sweet to capture the attention of the nominating committee. Hopefully, after the next batch of episodes are shown, they'll regain momentum and the public's attention.

This may have been the intention when scheduling season 1B for April. It'll finish its run in early June, just in time to stay fresh in people's minds for the Emmy nominations. And I believe that is a more sought-after TV award than the Golden Globes.

• Love 1

I'm happy to see so much media love for the show, and it's much-deserved, but I don't think that means other wonderful shows are, well, less wonderful. While I adored Outlander 1.1, I'll go on record as loving many other shows this year -- the gorgeous "Penny Dreadful" especially, along with "Transparent," "The Good Wife" (yes it's still pretty superb, although it seems to be the brunt of most "Outlander" ire), and many more.

What I think is interesting and much-deserved is that "Outlander" and its beautiful, more central yet subtle approach to sex scenes has sparked what I hope will be more attention paid to the often laughable, male-gaze-centered "Game of Thrones" scenes (I love the show, but these repeatedly are staged simply as shortcuts to character development or as I like to call it, Exposition With Boobs).

I'd also add that while I think "The Wedding" deserves all the notice and discussion it can possibly get, I thought 1.6 was still one of the best episodes of television I saw this year, and I adored the finale as well (along with the showrunner choices to give a more balanced and equal view of Frank's struggles in Claire's absence).

The stars deserve all the love they get, and it's been great to see this as a star-making vehicle for Caitriona Balfe, and for the added attention to Tobias Menzies and the superb newcomer Sam Heughan, as well as for a superb and underrated Graham McTavish. 

Aaaaand Outlander has pulled ahead in yet another online fan popularity poll:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/show-of-year-2014-readers-mega-poll.html

The show "The 100" was in the lead all week and since it appeals to teen and tween fans of the CW I assumed it would stay there (I, on the other hand, had never heard of the show and had to look it up.)  I assumed this was one poll that the kids would take.  It's winter break, they have time on their hands and access to computers, tablets and cell phones.  I figured we'd just have to let them have this one. 

Nope.

We are legion.  Or maybe we're just startlingly adept at marshaling the online fandom.  Whatever, it is it's actually pretty impressive.  Well done us.

It was announced during a commercial so we didn't get to see Sam & Cait accept it.  All we got was this little snippet, which some loyal fan has already posted online:  https://www.youtube....c&feature=share

But hey, a win is a win and good PR for the show is good PR.  Next stop, the Emmys!

I agree. But, damn! I wanted to see this since, clearly, the critics and industry awards are going to skip Outlander due to the shortened season. (Can't think why else they'd skip such an excellent show!)

ETA: Catriona and Sam were also briefly interviewed by Access Hollywood while on the red carpet.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/outlander-sam-heughan-and-catriona-balfe-talk-intense-final-season-1-episodes_video_2555037#88G1WD2DlVGyLcou.99http://bcove.me/ga7g4v4d

Edited by Nidratime

Wow, today was quite the Outlander-in-the-media day.  The big event was, of course, the release of the new trailer for the 2nd half of the season (see above) but Ron, Diana, Cait & Sam also appeared in a panel at the Television Critics Association to answer questions, which led to the flurry of online news stories from TV Critics about the show.  Lots of Outlander tweets today.  Outlander is trending on Facebook right now.  It's so exciting.  Now if only we didn't have 3 more months to wait.  The first title card in the new trailer says "The wait is over."  The title card is a lie.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Warning 1B and Season 2 spoilers!

Sam Heughan

http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/01/12/outlander-sam-heughan-answers-fan-questions/

Caitroina Balfe

http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/01/12/outlander-caitriona-balfe-answers-fan-questions/

Ron Moore

http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/01/12/outlander-ron-moore-answers-fan-questions/

Short interviews with spoilers.

Argh! My links are not working. Sorry! Try The Nerd Report 

http://www.nerdreport.com

Edited by peacefrog
  • Love 2

Do we think they pushed back filming (could have sworn I read in multiple sources that they were starting filming of season 2 in January/February) because they have not cast

Roger and Bree?

Edited by SilverStormm

Yeah I was startled to read that filming would begin in May instead of February.  That's not consistent with what they were saying before.  I think it's clear that production was pushed back.  If it's been pushed back because of the complexity of the show and because, owing to it's success, STARZ wants to get it right and is giving the production team the time they need to find appropriate locations in Scotland that can double for 

Paris

and to make the costumes appropriate to that location, well, I guess I'll get over it.  But ifrinn! this is going to be torture.

So, looking on the bright side, the longer delays between seasons means that the lead actors can take other work (Sam's making an independent film in the hiatus and Graham went immediately into production on another film in Boston.)  I want Sam & Cait to be happy with their commitment to Outlander so that they stick around for the entire series.  Giving them opportunities to take other work helps to ensure that will happen.  And unlike the child actors in Game of Thrones (who are aging WAY too fast given the time-frame of the books) it will actually help the show if Sam and Cait age 15 years over the course of filming the 9 (maybe 10?) books.  There, that's me looking on the brightest possible side.

• Love 3

It's not the DVDs for season 1A that everyone has been waiting for, but Madison Gate Records (an in-house label for Sony) has announced that it will be releasing a soundtrack for the first eight episodes of Outlander on February 10, 2015:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/01/12/outlander-soundtrack-announced/

The album track list:

1. People Disappear All The Time
2. Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (feat. Raya Yarbrough) [Castle Leoch version]
3. Dance Of The Druids (feat. Raya Yarbrough)
4. Fallen Through Time
5. Castle Leoch
6. Comin’ Thro’ The Rye
7. The Woman Of Balnain (feat. Gillebrìde MacMillan)
8. Mrs. Fitz
9. The Losing Side Of History
10. Clean Pease Strae
11. The Marriage Contract
12. The Wedding
13. The Veil Of Time

Good news, yes?

Sam and Cait cleaned up in the fan-favorite contest over at the Anglophile channel.  Each won in their category as favorite actor / actress in a television series.  And then Sam won Anglo Artist of the Year.  There is a short interview clip with them near the end of this video as they are told of their wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KavmSv8ozEw&feature=youtu.be

I will confess that after watching that I was reminded of that scene in the first Harry Potter movie where Ron says to Hermione "You're a bit scary, you know.  Brilliant.  But scary."  I'm beginning to wonder if Sam & Cait don't feel that way about their Outlander fans.  Because, damn, we are unrelenting when it comes to online voting.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Having gone to PaleyFest last year (Veronica Mars and HIMYM panels),  I was almost positive Outlander would get invited to be one of the panels this year (timing of Season 1 part 2 was too perfect), and to my delight they did. I'll be buying tickets when they go on sale ... I imagine they'll screen *something* for the attendees and have at least 90 minutes of discussion, so well worth the price of admission.

• Love 2

The Wall Street Journal (blog) has picked up on the fact that STARZ is working really hard to try to convert Outlander fans into Black Sails fans.  It's already worked with me (hey, a girl's gotta have something to look forward to during Droughtlander.)  I'll be on the Black Sails board following Saturday night's premiere.  I'm hoping I'll see some familiar avatars from the Outlander board over there.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/01/22/starz-really-really-wants-you-to-tune-in-for-the-black-sails-season-2-premiere/

I enjoyed the first season, though they had a pretty big problem figuring out how to use their female characters in not horrible ways.  But it was enjoyable despite being problematic, and I'm cautiously optimistic about what I've seen regarding the second season.  Tying it to Outlander as much as they have definitely got me excited about it again though.  I had kind of forgotten about it until I saw the crossover promo they did back when Outlander was still airing.  So good job marketing guys, strategy successful with at least one person.

• Love 1

CatMack I actually just posted something in the Black Sails forum (in the topic devoted to Eleanor) about how the four females leads in that show (Eleanor, Max, Anne and Mrs. Barlow) actually initiate a lot of the action in that series.  Given the time-frame (30 years before Claire's arrival at Leoch) and the universe in which it takes place (The Republic of Pirates, Nassau, The Bahamas) it would be easy to write a show in which the women were only ever the victims or the beneficiaries of the actions of men and had no real ability to initiate change by themselves.  That's not the case over there.  The women of Black Sails make some really bad choices (Max in particular is an idiot) but people making bad decisions is pretty much the driving force behind a lot of fictional stories and the men of Black Sails also make a lot of bad choices.

I was going to cite a character from Outlander as an example of my last point and I found I had a hard time doing it.  Isn't that interesting? I couldn't think of a "bad" decision (one motivated primarily by greed, selfishness or other really negative motivations).  Outlander is really more about people making the best decisions they can in the face of a bad situation.  The characters in Black Sails are almost all pirates and they live by the pirate code -- "The weak are meat, which the strong do eat" (to quote "Cloud Atlas).  So greed is pretty much the main motivator over in that story. There are some nobler motivations regarding the future of Nassau smoldering beneath the surface but even they are tinged with a desire for power.  I can't think of a character in Outlander who is motivated primarily by greed (at least not one we've seen in the TV version yet.) Black Jack Randall is evil but who the hell knows what his real motivations are?  Everyone else in Outlander seems primarily motivated by things like the desire to return to her home/husband (Claire), the desire to protect their Clan (Colum, Dougal, and pretty much all of the MacKenzie men) and the desire to find his place in the world after circumstances have robbed him of everything and made him an outlaw (Jamie.)

Hmmm.  I've wandered off topic.  This is the media thread so I'll just end by saying I can't wait to see the sneak peek of the next Outlander episode right before the season premier of Black Sails tonight.  Ship ahoy!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Here's another new promotion video with scenes from the upcoming second part of the first season. (Boy, it's awkward to type that every time.) Anyway, this contains SPOILERS for those who don't want to know anything about what's coming up, whether regarding just the show or in the book as well.

Also, nice picture from the set:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=778495288904188

Edited by Athena
Removed spoiler tag as not necessary for previews

Oooh that new scene is verra hot!  They really are working hard to keep us riled up during the interregnum. 

I don't think info about when something was shot is a spoiler but just in case . . .

If I recall correctly, that is actually the first sex scene that Cait and Sam filmed together because episode 9 was shot out of order, right after episode 4, due to their both being set (at least in part) at Leoch.  The wedding night sex scenes were actually shot much later.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Oooh that new scene is verra hot!  They really are working hard to keep us riled up during the interregnum. 

I don't think info about when something was shot is a spoiler but just in case . . .

If I recall correctly, that is actually the first sex scene that Cait and Sam filmed together because episode 9 was shot out of order, right after episode 4, due to their both being set (at least in part) at Leoch.  The wedding night sex scenes were actually shot much later.

Interesting. A part from the "I want you", the rest of the dialogue is directly taken from the book.

And leads to another difficult scene, I'm curious to know how they'll play it in order to render it more digestible.

• Love 1

For anyone who hasn't seen it already (we've been talking about in in the DVD/download thread) here's a link to the "storytelling" scene that was deleted from the wedding episode.  Looks like the powers that be gave People magazine an exclusive with it.

http://www.people.com/article/outlander-deleted-scene-wedding-night?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Click on it even if you have seen it because it's a good idea to keep reminding People that Outlander-related content drives page views.

I was about to get all worked up about having to avoid spoiler from UK viewers leaking into the USA (like they do for Downton Abby) and then I remembered . . . I've read the books.  Silly me.

But of course some of it will still be new.  The show runners aren't slavishly following the books.  But the risk of me being "spoiled" is pretty small.

I'm happy for the UK viewers.  It's about time they got to join the party.

• Love 1

Unless they come here and post before the episode, which they can't, i guess I won't worry about it.

That being said, having the show streamed on Amazon is not like having it on television where anyone can stumble across it, get hooked and start talking all over the internet. I think streaming at places like Amazon is still a pretty small percentage of viewers and, frankly, it's a shame for the show because they won't pick up any "accidental" viewers who will then become fans.

Time for a little math.

9 pm EDT Saturdays is about 2 am DST in the UK. The writer for the publication and maybe Amazon itself got it wrong.

And that is assuming Amazon plans a midnight or 1 AM release each Sunday, which for some reason I doubt will be the case. (Both the US and the UK will be on DST by then.)

I'm wondering if they don't realize that Outlander airs on Saturdays in the US? The only way the episodes are released "hours before" is if they release them at midnight on Sundays in the UK. It's a five hour difference, right? Saturday at 9PM EST is Sunday at 2AM there?

Time for a little math.

9 pm EDT Saturdays is about 2 am DST in the UK. The writer for the publication and maybe Amazon itself got it wrong.

And that is assuming Amazon plans a midnight or 1 AM release each Sunday, which for some reason I doubt will be the case. (Both the US and the UK will be on DST by then.)

I'm wondering if they don't realize that Outlander airs on Saturdays in the US? The only way the episodes are released "hours before" is if they release them at midnight on Sundays in the UK. It's a five hour difference, right? Saturday at 9PM EST is Sunday at 2AM there?

It could be an error - I'll confirm what they're doing on the premiere date as soon as it becomes available*.

As for anyone worrying about possible spoilers, if UK viewers do get to watch before the US; I would advise staying out of the episode topic or if you want to be completely safe, away from the forum for those few hours (*tbc).