Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Well, I do hope Ron Moore knew at the time he was making the show so that the episode could be crafted for maximum suspense. It was announced to the public that the season would be split after the show started but of course *he* is not *we.*

ABC Family does split seasons all the time. The Fosters season 2A ended on August 18th and will resume in early January with 2B as will Pretty Little Liars season 5B and Chasing Life season 1B so this doesn't faze me at all.

Yeah, I'm totally used to having half seasons like this, plus there are those cable shows that do their run for the season and then don't come back for a whole year (Orphan Black, I'm looking at you...) so at least it's not THAT bad.

YES! They could have done just 10 then have a wait of a year or more.

Ron Moore knew there was a break and was able to film mid season finale. Sure April is awhile away but it will be fine. I love midseason breaks because you usually get a good cliff hanger in.

I mentioned The Walking Dead before and their break works great.

I love how the fans all forgot about the ring.

I didn't forget the ring...grumble grumble.

;-)

Edited by Rekilt
  • Love 5

I know it's just a TV show and it's not like I don't wait more than 6 months for other shows I love (Game of Thrones, Sherlock), but damn.  I'm really disappointed.

The only saving grace here is that gaps like this may make the grueling production schedule more tolerable for Cait and Sam.  They are the heart and soul of the show but they are not Americans and they aren't used to USA-style television commitments lasting for multiple years with lots and lots of episodes per season.  If big gaps in the airing schedule mean we're more likely to be able to hang on to Sam & Cait for season 3 (there just HAS to be a season 3!), then I will get over my disappointment.

• Love 1

Good point. When actors sign up for American TV shows, they know to expect a 20+ episode season, which is a lot of work. But outside of the US, TV seasons are much shorter. And since this show is shot on location, has lots of costumes, and requires riding horses, shooting must take significantly longer than shooting, say, a sitcom on a soundstage. If they just finished shooting the second half of season one yesterday, that means the actors get about 3 to 4 months off before they start shooting season two. That's a well deserved break so I'm not going to begrudge them that (as much as I would like new episodes nonstop!).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I just read an interview with Ron where he mentioned it took them 202 days of filming to get 16 episodes.  Like...I don't begrudge them the break so they can finish production.  I do understand the frustration - 8 episodes may be close to a full season of some cable shows like GoT, but we know this isn't a full season for Outlander, we're stopping in the middle of the story, so waiting almost as long for the second half as some shows wait for another season seems kind of unfair in a way.  But from a practical standpoint, I get it.  I just have to remind myself that I have other things to fill my time with while I wait. 

I don't think there's any scoops here, but lots of nice pictures behind-the-scenes of the various depts and how they filmed.

The pictures of the tartan makers and machines were fantastic.  Well all the pics are, but fascinating.  :)

That Sam and Caitrionia Q&A is starting up in a few minutes on twitter.

Caitriona Balfe ‏@caitrionambalfe 2m

So just sat down in a train station to get ready to answer questions...!!! 8 mins to go....#AskOutlander

Sam Heughan ‏@Heughan 1m

.@caitrionambalfe I "may" be in a pub….

I don't understand twitter.  I can't see any of the questions.  LOL

Tif, in the answer tweet, there is a place on the bottom that says "conversation" or "view conversation", if you click it, it opens a section with the question, answer and any additional comments by other people to the thread of conversation.

That was a nice gesture from all the actors who've done the ask outlander twitter q&a over the 1/2 season.  I hope they enjoy their time off.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 3

They split the last season of Breaking Bad - there was a 10 month break in-between! And what a glorious half-season it was - the episode "Ozymandias" alone was worth the wait. As others have posted, this is a quality show and needs time to be perfected. There are so many components to go into the show aside from the filming and it will be worth it in the end. This seems to be the case now for most shows, like Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones.

Bad link!  (wow, that sounds demanding, haha!)

Huh, that's weird, when I click on it it doesn't work, but when I click on it from the Outlander twitter account it works and looks like exactly the same link.

Let's try this: https://twitter.com/Outlander_Starz/status/515652126039474176 

ETA: I don't know what I did to the Internet to make it hate me today. If the twitter link doesn't work, try clicking on the link in the URL bar, hitting enter to refresh which seems to work. Otherwise you can go to the Outlander twitter feed and scroll down a bit.

Edited by Keeta

Some post 1/2 season articles. Some spoilers for the next half of the season and beyond:

'Outlander' Season 1b and beyond teases: Why amber, Sandringham and Roger Wakefield are exciting

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/outlander_season_1b_dragonfly_in_amber_sandringham_roger_wakefield_starz-2014-09

5 Questions to Ponder After the Outlander Midseason Finale

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/outlander-questions-midseason-finale.html

• Love 2

Outlander ratings were up again for the last episode of this year:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/outlander-season-one-ratings-33648/

Viewers: 1.417 million a 14.9% change upward.  

Demo was .38 (rounded up to .40). That's a percent change upward of 18.8%

ETA: tweets, adding to the info.

Joe Adalian ‏@TVMoJoe 22h22 hours ago

OUTLANDER S1 midseason finale averaged 1.4M viewers. That's the biggest premiere audience yet for the show--and *double* S1 premiere (700K)

Joe Adalian ‏@TVMoJoe 22h22 hours ago

Among women 25-54, OUTLANDER midseason finale averaged a 0.7, making it cable's No. 1 original series Saturday in that demo.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

So I know this technically isn't related to the series, but it was a really hilarious exchange today on twitter over Caitriona's birthday wishes, and a bitty mistake made by Sam when formatting his tweet.  But he is owning it, and has led to some hilarity.

This was the tweet that led to it:

https://twitter.com/Heughan/status/518329529082085376

When you get to the actual tweet don't click the last part of it, he unfortunately formatted it mistakenly so the you.xxx is made into a link.,...for an adult website.  Yup.

Which led to:

https://twitter.com/caitrionambalfe/status/518451573169856512

And than Tobias got in on it:

https://twitter.com/TobiasMenzies/status/518541048608718848

when he was enlightened as to what Sam's "present" was:

https://twitter.com/TobiasMenzies/status/518559613420322816

Hilarious.  Thought it would make people laugh. 

• Love 6

Looks like the U.K. needs to get off its duff and sign a deal for this show! (I'm including both these articles because the first one talks about how the show's been doing in Australia, New Zealand, and China.)

Mipcom: Sony Sells ‘Outlander’ across Latin America, Europe

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/mipcom-sony-sells-outlander-across-latin-america-europe-1201323770/

Sony Pictures Television Sells ‘Outlander’ Across Europe & Latin America

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/10/sony-pictures-television-sells-outlander-across-europe-latin-america/

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

It's like the best, yet worst, kept secret of the show. Some of their Twitter discussions leave me like wha-huh? Like that Q&A they did, Caitriona commented that Sam sings in the shower.

That's funny because I don't get that vibe at all through all of the interviews I have watched/read. I usually feel like she seems a little distant/cool with him but I have no basis for saying this, just one of those YMMV moments.

Here's the thing, I follow actors a bit. Meaning I look at interviews and behind the scenes tidbits. I don't like Twitter and Facebook for them because I do like to keep some distance between their daily lives and professional. I like seeing the show as a whole. I do think actors deserve some privacy.

But it's all a business. Playing up a flirtation between two leads who have great chemistry is just good business and publicity. Maybe they are or maybe not, they are good actors and are trying to sell the show as well as themselves. Also, not saying this is what is going on, if an actor is suddenly on the rise and getting tons of publicity sometimes an agent or photographer or whoever will "pair" another actor with someone in their "stable" who is on the verge of breaking through or needs some publicity.

Any news of any actor relationship that is put in public just doesn't scream genuine to me, when it becomes a story of itself. Of course some are. I just would remember it's a business first.

• Love 4

Here's the thing, I follow actors a bit. Meaning I look at interviews and behind the scenes tidbits. I don't like Twitter and Facebook for them because I do like to keep some distance between their daily lives and professional. I like seeing the show as a whole. I do think actors deserve some privacy.

But it's all a business. Playing up a flirtation between two leads who have great chemistry is just good business and publicity. Maybe they are or maybe not, they are good actors and are trying to sell the show as well as themselves. Also, not saying this is what is going on, if an actor is suddenly on the rise and getting tons of publicity sometimes an agent or photographer or whoever will "pair" another actor with someone in their "stable" who is on the verge of breaking through or needs some publicity.

Any news of any actor relationship that is put in public just doesn't scream genuine to me, when it becomes a story of itself. Of course some are. I just would remember it's a business first.

Yes to this. What matters to me is that these two have great chemistry on screen. There is so much fakery in the entertainment business. On set relationships do happen of course and perversely sometimes kill the on screen chemistry.

I actually prefer not to know too much about actors who play characters I am really interested in. It's easier for me to buy the illusion that way.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2

It's not impossible for rumors of actor romance to be true (Prince Charming and Snow White from Once Upon a Time got married and just had their first child last May).  But unless it comes from the mouths of the actors themselves, it's most likely just rumors and speculation and hype.  And they are under no obligation to share or confirm details of their private dating lives. 

I really appreciate that the Outlander cast seems to get along so well of set though.  I don't need them to put their private lives on display, but they all have an easy camaraderie with each other that, for me at least, enhances my viewing experience.  I've watched shows where the cast clearly had issues with each other and it makes the on screen stuff awkward to watch.

• Love 3