Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: DNA Doesn't Make a Family Love Does

It seems a little early to be repeating a plot line. Isn't this exactly the same situation Callie was in when she got blamed for selling drugs and Mariana was really at fault? Now it's Callie's friend and Brandon.

It feels weird being the only person posting here, but since I watched the pilot again yesterday, I figured I'd get my thoughts down before they leave my brain.  So these are the things I was thinking as I revisited the first episode:

When I first tried to watch the show, it was the night it premiered (I'm a big Switched at Birth fan), and I was so put off by Callie's angry-girl attitude that I didn't make it the entire way through the episode.  I'm also incredibly guilty of being a distracted TV-watcher, so I'm sure my laptop was open and I was reading stuff at the same time.  But this is a show that I feel like begs to be watched without distraction.  There are genuinely great blink-and-you-miss it little moments between the characters, and giving the show my full attention really changed everything for me.  

That being said, it's still a pilot episode, and there are things that felt heavy during this one. I still think Callie comes off too too in this one, but it's easier to understand where she's coming from now.  And yet.  There are moments that clunked for me.  When her new teacher asks the class, "What would you do if you suddenly woke up and found yourself living in a nightmare?" felt a little too on the nose for me.  

I like to play a game called "What color are Mariana's fake nails this week?" and it never disappoints.  That girl loves her some nail polish.

Also, there was a nice moment here that gets reflected in the season finale,

when Steph makes it to see Brandon audition and watches him play the piano with sheer love and pride on her face

.  It was nice to pick up on it.

(edited)

Oh, Brandon. I didn't start watching until halfway through the season, and then not faithfully, so my first impression of Brandon was....not favorable. But look here, he's not so bad! Nice, even! And yes, you can see hints of The Most Obnoxious Love of All, but just hints and they can be ignored. Brandon wasn't always awful! Maybe he might be not-awful again in the future.

Stef and Lena. I do love them so much. But it's kind of hilarious/insane how they each made the unilateral decision to bring a whole new kid into the house.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 1

The first thing that struck me about the show was the warmth and gentle teasing between the kids and Stef and Lena. Also, I loved that the show started with us meeting Lena and Callie and then seeing the rest of the family members.

I was anxiously awaiting this show when it was first announced and right from the start I wasn't disappointed. Teri and Sherri created magic as Stef and Lena and right from their first interaction when Stef walked in the door you could see the chemistry oozing from their pores.

I love that the house is just big enough for five people but gets real cramped when Callie and Jude arrive. That realism is really refreshing.

The most arresting moment was when Callie was in the bathtub because you could see it in her eyes that she still had reservations about staying with the family and as we later learned she was also worried for her brother.

So glad we get to re-visit this show ahead of season 2. Let's try and get through each episode over the next two weeks.

I think Lena and Stef might be my favorite couple on TV right now, even with the ridiculous drama the show veered into in the last few episodes of season 1.  There's some great warmth and humor between the two of them.  I love it.

• Love 1

It was mentioned in the previous episode's thread, but yes, there's a reality to the fact that the house was perfect for five people and is now maybe feeling a little snug.  This is incredibly clear (and incredibly real) when Jesus and Mariana struggle with the fact that they're going to have to share their rooms with Callie and Jude, for however long the two are with the family.  

Part of what this show excels at is the very real moments between the characters, and the best moments are when the core members of the cast are interacting with each other.  On rewatch, one of the more compelling parts of this episode was how clear a struggle co-parenting can be.  I love how much the three parents struggle with how to deal with Brandon's actions, and how to deal with each other in doling out the consequences.

Also, something about Lexi really bothers me. I can't figure out what it is, but I never warmed up to her the first time through, and it doesn't seem to be going well this time, either.  Every time she's on screen, I'm like, "You're the worst."

• Love 1
(edited)

There are moments that clunked for me.  When her new teacher asks the class, "What would you do if you suddenly woke up and found yourself living in a nightmare?" felt a little too on the nose for me.

Interesting how different reactions can be, I liked that moment, because it was rather absurd to ask Callie that question, her life had been a nightmare for a while, Guess should simply assume, that Timothy (the teacher) didn't know and didn't guess anything about Callie's situation, because it was insensitive. Insensitive though well meant, he wanted her to get into a dialogue.

I found it smart that they brought up Kafka's novella Metamorphosis in that scene. Probably not everybody noticed, what Timothy was talking about, though as I now discovered it was even written on the blackboard, but not everyone read Kafka at school, I guess. I knew even without the blackboard what Timothy was talking about, but I love Kafka. Metamorphosis is not just a story about a man who suddenly (was) changed, Gregor Samsa woke up one morning as a kind of giant vermin or bug (Ungeziefer), but it's a story of a transformation of a family, the change has significant effects on all of the family of Samsa. Besides Gregor his sister Grete is an important character in the novella, she is in the end the one growing up and taking on responsibility, though it means giving up dreams she had, so it is ambivalent. Rather brilliant to refer to it, because there is a lot of change going on in the Adams Foster family. 

Before Timothy asks about waking suddenly up in a nightmare and addresses Callie, he asks: "But did he (Gregor) participate in his own transformation? Did he will it? Did he want it to happen? Or was it something that happened to him?"And it is an interesting question how much of our life is our own doing, and how much doing of others, of circumstances, nature, fate. Callie probably would have said, most is not in her control, no matter how hard she tried.

That little scene suggested to me, that the showrunners and writers might have a bit more on their minds than just some modern family and high school kids drama, and helped to get me more interested in the show. Family drama and particular anything involving high school is usually not so my thing to watch, I am not the target or typical audience of ABC family. Only tuned in to see what they are doing with a lesbian couple. Liked the chemistry and dynamic between Stef and Lena well enough in the pilot to keep me watching, and the kids and their stories were bearable enough to not drive me away.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

I have to say, I kind of feel for Mike in this episode. It sucks to feel as if you're being cut out of parenting your own child, even if that's partially your own fault (his alcoholism). That's with the benefit of hindsight, I suspect if I'd been watching these episodes in as new viewer, I would've hated him because STEF AND LENA ARE SO WONDERFUL STOP BEING A JERK, MIKE.

I mean, Stef and Lena are wonderful. But I can admire the character development Mike got. Plus, I think he was right in the first place, Brandon should have been punished.

• Love 2

I just started watching this show (via Netflix) and I think I'm hooked.  I didn't realize that it was only one season in, but I guess my timing was good - I should be caught up by the beginning of the new season!

Thanks for that really thoughtful response! You've made me think about that scene in a completely different way than before.

And I agree--the showrunners are committed to a certain amount of depth with the series.

• Love 1

Now that I've finished the rewatch, I'm glad the new season is only a week away.  Anyone have hopes for the new season? Personally, I have several, but #1 on the list is to get rid of Mike's girlfriend.  I forget which movie critic coined the term "idiot plot", but she is the embodiment of it.  I can live with the kids making fantastically stupid decisions (because that's what teenagers do), but her dumb decisions are too transparent and ridiculous to be believed.  (And seriously? What adult is going to THAT MUCH TROUBLE to keep secrets with a teenager?)

(edited)

Now that I've finished the rewatch, I'm glad the new season is only a week away.  Anyone have hopes for the new season? Personally, I have several, but #1 on the list is to get rid of Mike's girlfriend.  I forget which movie critic coined the term "idiot plot", but she is the embodiment of it.  I can live with the kids making fantastically stupid decisions (because that's what teenagers do), but her dumb decisions are too transparent and ridiculous to be believed.  (And seriously? What adult is going to THAT MUCH TROUBLE to keep secrets with a teenager?)

She is Gia from Full House, of course it's her raison d'etre to be up to no good and cause nothing but trouble. I doubt she's going anywhere, she's the one who knows what's up with Mike's bloody hands (I refuse to believe he actually killed Ana) and there's the statutory rape to be revealed and dealt with. I only pray to the TV Gods that she's not pregnant.

You know what? I want Callie/Wyatt, and the preview suggests I'll get it. I also want more Mariana, much to my surprise. She was kind of the worst in the beginning, but she's become something of a favorite. It cracks me up that the previews show all these big dramatic stuff for all the characters and Mariana's thing is...she's gone blonde.

Edited by Melgaypet

Mariana! I grew to like her a lot later on, but man, she drove me crazy here. She's just such a realistically bratty, selfish teen, I want to shake her. But that final dance with her moms at her Quinceanera made me sniffle.

I always love seeing Lorraine Toussaint.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

(edited)
Oh, Brandon. I didn't start watching until halfway through the season, and then not faithfully, so my first impression of Brandon was....not favorable. But look here, he's not so bad! Nice, even! And yes, you can see hints of The Most Obnoxious Love of All, but just hints and they can be ignored. Brandon wasn't always awful! Maybe he might be not-awful again in the future.

I agree with many who have said that the show's biggest problem was doing too much too soon. When you think of all that has happened on this show it is really hard to believe that the second season JUST started. That all this happened in one season. It actually reminds of The O.C. and how that show's quality quickly went down for that same thing - the writers did so much so fast that by Season 3 they'd practically burned through every possible storyline and then it just started getting really stupid. 

That said, one of the first mistakes the writers made imho was pushing the Brandon/Callie relationship SO hard and SO fast. I may be in a huge minority here in that I don't hate the Brandon/Callie situation per se. Like I've said before, I think it's probably a very real consequence of foster homes. I don't ship them but it doesn't outrage me and I guess it also helps that I don't ship Callie/Wyatt either. Honestly neither pairing bothers me and for the most part I find myself mostly indifferent. It's not like Vampire Diaries situation where I actively loathe Damon/Elena. 

But I think the writers messed up making the pairing so overt so quickly and in the process have absolutely ruined Brandon's character because of it and I think that's unfortunate. Because, again possibly unpopular opinion, but I loved Brandon away from the Callie mess. I loved his complicated relationship with Mike, I was fascinated about his real feelings about his mom, one, leaving his dad for a woman and then adopting all these kids and if he really was as fine and happily adjusted with it as he claimed to be. I liked the sub-plot with his piano teacher and the suggestion that he was keeping a lot of his feelings bottled up and rather than explore that, the writers completely did away with the piano teacher and that plot to service more of the melodrama they would heap on the character. 

But about the Callie romance situation, I've always said that shippers will ship, period. Brandon and Callie could have not shared one scene beyond their scenes in the pilot and I guarantee they would still have a sizable fanbase that shipped them. Not to mention I think the actors who play Callie and Brandon are decent enough to have pulled off the subtle romantic tension without it ever being overt. I just think it was a mistake on the part of the writers to have Brandon express his feelings that quickly, to have Talya be a psycho, jealous girlfriend (I really hated that because the feminist in me was bothered that of course the girlfriend had to become a psycho), then all the melodrama at the start of the second season, etc. I'm sure the writers could have been creative and found some other way to convince Callie she needed to leave the Fosters' home at the end of the first part of the season and so the stuff with her running away, the consequences, etc. could have all been the same.

Because the problem with them going so far, so quickly with Brandon and Callie, is that aside from them just making Brandon into a mess, they're kind of stuck now. Sure they have her and Wyatt sort of being together (btw, I didn't watch the whole season premiere - did they give an explanation of Wyatt's living situation or is that still just randomly up in the air) but there is this unnatural weirdness with the characters that will always exist Imo. Yeah they can try and reset and make Brandon move on and have them seemingly act like "family" but I'm sorry I for one will never buy that Brandon and Callie now magically only see each other as brother and sister and they're just one big happy family. Basically once the writers crossed the line with them, there was no going back imo without it being completely unrealistic. 

The Callie/Brandon stuff aside, there was also just so much unnecessary drama and additions - Dani, Vico, Anna showing up again, Mariana's 2 minute boyfriend, etc. It's like the writers have just thrown everything and the kitchen sink and as others have noted, with all that drama, they're sacrificing the quiet, intimate moments that actually do make the show great. The show wasn't so highly praised for crap like Vico beating up Brandon, that horrible, horrible Dani/Brandon statutory rape scene, etc. No, it was for episodes like Stef's dad's death and Callie remembering her mother's death, Callie and Jude seeing their dad again and his signing his rights away, Stef's scenes with her dad before he passed, dealing with his continuing struggle over her sexuality, Jude and Lena talking about his sexuality, Brandon realizing how lonely Mike was, Marianna realizing how utterly useless her biological mother is, etc. These are the moments that make the show great. But these moments get lost amidst the over the top melodrama. Not to mention it's just crazy to go through all these story lines in ONE season. Like I am terrified to think about what they'll do if this show lasts 3-4 seasons. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

@truthaboutluv - I totally agree that they seem to be burning through storyline really, really fast.  If they let even a couple of those storylines really breathe and go through the fallout/consequences, they'd really have something.  (My picks? Bring back Daphne and the girls from Girls United, let's see more of the fallout from Stef's father passing away and Lena's dispute with her mother.)

They could very profitably drop Dani out of existence, forever.  I know a lot of people were really waiting for the statutory rape issue to come to light, but Brandon seems to have moved on with his new band and new romantic interest.  I'd rather watch Stef and Lena deal with Callie's father and Timothy than travel backwards to deal with Dani and Brandon's last season actions, which would give Stef maximum cause to be as strident as possible and, while that's fine and would be warranted, I much prefer to watch Teri Polo when Stef gets to be a little more tender and subtle.

I admit that I rewatch this while on the treadmill (thanks Netflix!) but here is something that is bugging the bejesus out of me: When Callie talks to the prosecutor about the rape, he says that if it wasn't consensual, then it's her word against Liam's and no one will believe her.  If she says it was consensual, then it will be statutory rape, because she was 15 and Liam was 19.

Um... wouldn't it be statutory rape either way? The only thing the court needs to believe is that there WAS SEX between two people of inappropriate ages, consensual or not.  That's exactly why consent isn't a defense to a charge of statutory rape - the point is, it's illegal no matter how you slice it.  

It's such a stark contrast to how they're handling the Brandon-Dani situation (which is much more shades-of-gray than Liam raping Callie, at least in Brandon's mind).  

(edited)

I admit that I rewatch this while on the treadmill (thanks Netflix!) but here is something that is bugging the bejesus out of me: When Callie talks to the prosecutor about the rape, he says that if it wasn't consensual, then it's her word against Liam's and no one will believe her.  If she says it was consensual, then it will be statutory rape, because she was 15 and Liam was 19.

Um... wouldn't it be statutory rape either way? The only thing the court needs to believe is that there WAS SEX between two people of inappropriate ages, consensual or not.  That's exactly why consent isn't a defense to a charge of statutory rape - the point is, it's illegal no matter how you slice it.  

It's such a stark contrast to how they're handling the Brandon-Dani situation (which is much more shades-of-gray than Liam raping Callie, at least in Brandon's mind).  

It was more about Callie's credibility. It was just pretrial and we didn't get to see the whole, but it seemed to have been her words against his. I guess Liam was not so foolish to say, they had consensual sex, because why should he, Callie had no prove, there was no evidence, and the other girl denied anything happened. The attorney might have hoped that it would be easier to make it believable enough if Callie said she consented, though if Liam still had insisted, that he had no intercourse with her, that she was making it all up, he still would have gotten away. In a trial it is not about if you believe that a crime happened, you have to have absolutely no doubts, prove that it happened, and the attorney had not enough to even get this to a trial. It sucks, but it is what happens often.

Dani was arrested, but nothing says that a trial against her will be easy or that they even will get a trial. Dani as well could claim, nothing happened, and that Brandon is making up things being jealous of her. Now it could get back on Brandon, that he pretended, that he made things up to hurt Callie, when Vico set her up.

Edited by katusch

Does anyone know where Talya ran off to?  I don't think it has ever been addressed in the show canon...  She's just disappeared with no explanation (unless I missed something).  They had explanations for Lexi and a few other recurring characters who left, but not Talya.

I actually kind of miss her in the current season as an antagonist - for me Crazy-Hayley is a poor-man's substitute.

Last we heard from her she planted the fake ID in Callie's purse in Metropolis, I think?

Does anyone know where Talya ran off to?  I don't think it has ever been addressed in the show canon...  She's just disappeared with no explanation (unless I missed something).  They had explanations for Lexi and a few other recurring characters who left, but not Talya.

I actually kind of miss her in the current season as an antagonist - for me Crazy-Hayley is a poor-man's substitute.

Last we heard from her she planted the fake ID in Callie's purse in Metropolis, I think?

I think it's probably because the character already had her natural end to the story after the confrontation with Callie in 16 and she hasn't "left" anywhere in their world. Sure they used her as a villain in Metropolis but now she is just any other kid at the school who is not intersecting with the family. They would need to generate a reason to mention her rather than having a reason to explain away as she no longer has any connection to them anyway. 

I think it's probably because the character already had her natural end to the story after the confrontation with Callie in 16 and she hasn't "left" anywhere in their world. Sure they used her as a villain in Metropolis but now she is just any other kid at the school who is not intersecting with the family. They would need to generate a reason to mention her rather than having a reason to explain away as she no longer has any connection to them anyway.

Yeah I think this is exactly right- Brandon seemed very done with her in 1x16 so there's no need to really explain where she is- she's around, just not a factor in their lives and hence we're not seeing her. I really can't imagine bringing her back- they went cartoon villain with her from the beginning, semi redeemed her at the end of 1A/early 1B and then made her a villain again unnecessaily in Metropolis. I can't see any organic way to bring her back into Brandon's orbit romantically.  

I do agree having an antagonist can be good when you have a character like Callie who though I love her gets the Joey Potter/later 90210 seasons Kelly Taylor special snowflake treatment to the extreme. At the same time, the universe dumps on Callie enough even without a nemesis.

I was glad though the show didn't go the predictable route of making Lou, as B's next love interest, an immediate antagonist for her.

Edited by GildedLily

I've watched 10 episodes of this show, and I'm not sure if I should continue. I guess it's easier to sum up my impressions in pro and con style.

Pro:

- I liked that the show tries to create a more down-to-earth look, compared to 90% of teen dramas on TV. Most characters don't look like they're just come from a fashion magazine photoshoot. The clothes aren't impossibly glamorous, the make-up isn't distracting, and only Mariana actually curls her hair (but still looks similar enough to a real person). This was refreshing.

- Functional, loving family. I don't really mind the parent drama, but it's nice to see people who like to be parents and love their children. Also, a fairly realistic yet heartwarming look at a married couple - no cheating drama (god I hate those), no clichéd issues.

- I like Callie, who's the closest the show has to a protagonist, but then, she's the character type I usually like, so that's expected. Her brother's also pretty great and I'm interested in his storyline.

Contra:

- The twins. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked to learn they weren't a part of the original pitch but were added when Jennifer Lopez offered to produce the show. Jesus especially seems like a background, extraneous character. And I find it hard to like Mariana - way too entitled (and the actress bugs).

- Brandon and Callie. I don't really mind the adopted siblings angle (which they may never become, even). Hell, I don't have any problems with actual (consensual) sibling incest. I could have been persuaded to ship "Braillie". But zero chemistry + Brandon not being compelling enough + them being way too prominent mean I fast became annoyed with the pairing. Plus, I think Wyatt has potential. I read the spoilers, and Braillie sure seem to be the show's central will-they-or-won't they couple, which doesn't exactly inspire the desire to continue with the show.

Edited by FurryFury

@FurryFury - did you watch the first 10 episodes of season 1?

I agree with you that the show looks a bit more down to earth - I particularly like it that the characters wear the same clothes throughout the series. I like Callie also, and I feel like the actress gets better (or more confident with the American accent) in the later seasons. Admittedly, I'm watching for the parents because I love the nice, normal relationship. It reminds me of Roseanne/Dan Connor and Virginia/Burt (from Raising Hope) in that they are happy, in love and respectful (though some drama seems ridiculous at times and I guess you have to handwave it as a tv thing). I'm glad that the cheating thing has never been the story (fingers crossed it never will be). I remember being wary of this show when they advertised it initially as including the ex-husband as Stef's new partner. I thought/assumed they would go the cheating route and I have been pleasantly pleased they never did. Also, I hate the Brandon/Callie thing. So very very much.

I will disagree with you in that I like Mariana. I think she has issues and at the moment the actress is doing a good job of acting like a spoilt teen but also moments that show she is nice, kind and generally hurting (more in later seasons). In a way, I think she is more realistic than Callie, who has heaps of crap piled on her, but remains the same polite, loveable Joey Potter-esque teen. I expect teens to act selfishly, be nasty sometimes and frankly, stupid (Youths!). Similarly with Jesus, he is selfish etc. Although I will admit I get bored with how he is constantly in a romantic drama (though I guess for a good looking teen, it isn't out of the realm of possibility). I would like it if there was a new storyline for him, but I guess in light of the actor's personal issues, it might not happen.

The one thing I find completely ridiculous is the time period. In season 1 the show specifically states that Callie was with the Fosters for 2 months before she ran away. Now, that is unbelievable that in that small time period, Stef gets shot AND recovers from a bullet wound/major abdominal surgery (not to mention is back at work) AND they are able to plan a wedding (unless Lena had a Big Book of Wedding Planning ala Monica Geller, which, yeah, maybe) AND decide on adoption for 2 new kids they knew for 8 weeks!. Plus everything else happening in that season. By season 2, they say its been 6 months all up - which just seems too short. I guess they have to/want to keep Callie as young as possible for as long as possible, considering her foster story is the centre of it, but my god. Maybe in the Fosters, they have 72 hour days (not unlike PLL - another ABC Family show with severely bizzare timing issues).

@FurryFury - did you watch the first 10 episodes of season 1?

Yep, probably should have specified that.

The one thing I find completely ridiculous is the time period.

Oh, I used to watch The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars. The Fosters have nothing on this shows when it comes to timeline issues :)

I will disagree with you in that I like Mariana. I think she has issues and at the moment the actress is doing a good job of acting like a spoilt teen but also moments that show she is nice, kind and generally hurting (more in later seasons). In a way, I think she is more realistic than Callie, who has heaps of crap piled on her, but remains the same polite, loveable Joey Potter-esque teen.

I don't watch TV for realism, I watch for stories, and I feel that Callie makes a more engaging character than Mariana. At least, with Callie, there are obvious reasons to root for her - incredibly crappy childhood, her love for her brother, then her willingness to talk about her abuse to save another girl. But Mariana? There's just nothing special about her. I don't see why I should care for her. There was just not enough likability, and, frankly, not enough characterization, but way too much drama, at least in the episodes I've seen.

Honestly, though, it's the Brandon/Callie focus that makes me question if I should continue with the show. Brandon just rubs me the wrong way, but I'd still watch if they were platonic.

Edited by FurryFury

I don't watch TV for realism, I watch for stories, and I feel that Callie makes a more engaging character than Mariana. At least, with Callie, there are obvious reasons to root for her - incredibly crappy childhood, her love for her brother, then her willingness to talk about her abuse to save another girl. But Mariana? There's just nothing special about her. I don't see why I should care for her.

I'm not going to compare the two, because I do like both, but these are my reasons. I think Mariana is damaged, not as much as Callie obviously, but enough to affect her. I think her birth mother screwing with her, dangling a carrot before asking for drug money, plays into her abandonment issues. I think it was coming through with the selling of the drugs (and also comes into play in storylines in the later seasons). I think having Callie be lead by necessity makes the writers come up with new and exciting stories for her all the time, whereas because Mariana is supporting, doesn't get so much. Mariana also gets some more interesting racial stories in later seasons. (and I'm happy those storylines go to Mariana, because Jesus is not the most subtle of actors). I think Mariana can be interesting, but she is more a slow burn than Callie.

I sometimes feel like they are going the Joey Potter/Mary Sue route with Callie and there is just *so* much crap being piled on at every stage and she is just so gracious about it all which isn't so much engaging (for me). That said, I like the two girls and I like that they aren't dealing with the same issues so it isn't repetitive. And, in the later seasons they do develop a really sweet sisterly relationship.

Re Brandon/Callie: It is the grossest relationship on an otherwise good show. There is just no chemistry between the two actors. I don't know if it is a network-mandatated thing (because ABC Family has some weird thing about propping up gross relationships) or the show really thinks its great. But, unfortunately, I can see them drawing the relationship out for the duration of the show. All I can say, is that be ready to fast forward every now and then. (I certainly don't watch for Brandon. I watch for Stef/Lena, Judicorn, Callie and Mariana).

I've watched 10 episodes of this show, and I'm not sure if I should continue. I guess it's easier to sum up my impressions in pro and con style.

Pro:

- I liked that the show tries to create a more down-to-earth look, compared to 90% of teen dramas on TV. Most characters don't look like they're just come from a fashion magazine photoshoot. The clothes aren't impossibly glamorous, the make-up isn't distracting, and only Mariana actually curls her hair (but still looks similar enough to a real person). This was refreshing.

- Functional, loving family. I don't really mind the parent drama, but it's nice to see people who like to be parents and love their children. Also, a fairly realistic yet heartwarming look at a married couple - no cheating drama (god I hate those), no clichéd issues.

- I like Callie, who's the closest the show has to a protagonist, but then, she's the character type I usually like, so that's expected. Her brother's also pretty great and I'm interested in his storyline.

Contra:

- The twins. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked to learn they weren't a part of the original pitch but were added when Jennifer Lopez offered to produce the show. Jesus especially seems like a background, extraneous character. And I find it hard to like Mariana - way too entitled (and the actress bugs).

- Brandon and Callie. I don't really mind the adopted siblings angle (which they may never become, even). Hell, I don't have any problems with actual (consensual) sibling incest. I could have been persuaded to ship "Braillie". But zero chemistry + Brandon not being compelling enough + them being way too prominent mean I fast became annoyed with the pairing. Plus, I think Wyatt has potential. I read the spoilers, and Braillie sure seem to be the show's central will-they-or-won't they couple, which doesn't exactly inspire the desire to continue with the show.

I'll weigh in. As someone who HATED Mariana in 1A (the first 10 eps), she grew on me to the point of becoming one of my very favorites by the end of 1B. They play her a little more for comedy at times which the actress does well. I think the exit of Lexi also helps her character and in 1B, she has some really sweet sibling moments with Callie, Jude and Brandon separately which was nice. So I would say give her a chance.

I didn't hate Jesus in 1A but I've grown to actively dislike him more. His storyline becomes more divorced from that of his sister though and very islanded with his love interests. That's not a good thing but it's easy enough to zone out. I would be delighted if with the actor's alleged personal issues, they allowed the character to take even more of a backseat. I don't mind him in family scenes or occasionally with his twin but he cannot carry stories and it does not improve.

I'm admittedly here for the Brandon and Callie romance. I love the family but rooting for them is what makes me make sure I'm free on Monday nights so we diverge there. I think you're right to recognize that they are the central will they/won't they romance and I don't see that changing as much as some want it to. If you pick up right after the wedding ep, you'll find that the next handful of episode are heavily focused on the aftermath of their kiss and that probably won't be your cup of tea. You should, however, at least watch Padre (1x15 maybe) which is IMO the show's absolute finest hour and see if you like the Girls United group home plot which seemed popular with a lot of fans, particularly those who didn't enjoy Brallie. And those who disliked Brandon in 1A seemed to hate him with a whole new fervor in 1B and even I admit he bugged a bit. But like with all on again, off again TV romances, season 2A is their off season and they are largely out of each other's orbits so that Brandon's character can be rehabbed a bit save for some morsels the writers throw shippers like me. There's a lot of good family stuff in that set of episodes as well.

I hope you give the show a little more of a shot and keep sharing your observations. It sounds like there's enough you enjoy that it's worth continuing and like any ensemble, there's good and bad.

Edited by GildedLily
don't know if it is a network-mandatated thing (because ABC Family has some weird thing about propping up gross relationships) or the show really thinks its great.

You know, I've been thinking about it ever since PLL. It seems that the audience of ABCFamily is younger and easier to please than, say, The CW (or MTV), despite them having a lot of teen-oriented shows, because it really does seem that they tend to latch onto the first onscreen couples shown, even if they objectively aren't well-written or have explosive chemistry. I mean, with the shows on The CW, there are lots of cases where the primary couple wasn't well-received, at all, and the show gradually switched to a better-received pairings. But ABCFamily seems to just wait until even a slightly positive reaction after a few episodes to establish a couple as endgame, and then all viewers are stuck with it for good. At least that's my impression after PLL and The Fosters. Obviously, I can't support that.

I'll weigh in. As someone who HATED Mariana in 1A (the first 10 eps), she grew on me to the point of becoming one of my very favorites by the end of 1B. They play her a little more for comedy at times which the actress does well. 

I don't really HATE Mariana, I certainly think there's a possibility for improvement here. She's nowhere near Brandon for me. Jesus, however, is really meh, and it seems he only gets worse later? Sigh.

I hope you give the show a little more of a shot and keep sharing your observations. It sounds like there's enough you enjoy that it's worth continuing and like any ensemble, there's good and bad.

TBH, I'm not sure I enjoy the family stuff as much as some viewers - I actually tend to prefer loner characters and broken families to a more traditional big family dynamic (well, the Fosters aren't really traditional, considering everything, but it's still a big family, which isn't usually my cup of tea when it comes to favorite tropes). But I'm on the fence because it's really hard to watch shows when you don't care or even actively dislike the central couple. I mean, I already had to drop Haven because I hated Audrey/Nathan, and I can probably remember other examples if I had to. The Fosters are more ensemble, which helps, but Callie's my favorite character and it's pretty heartbreaking to see her story being so tied up in Brandon. It's not that I see the relationship as squicky - I just find him completely unappealing as a love interest.

So I only found out about this show less than a week ago. When S02E18 had that big Jonnor moment, No H8 posted the news on Facebook. I stumbled across it and my inner fanboy went nuts. I have spent the last few days catching up on the series and I have some thoughts.

First, I am not a big fan of the soapy 90210 format. The writers hit it pretty hard. The concept of a bunch of rich, privileged kids betraying each other, scheming and having sex has been done. Many times. I'm not saying I don't like the show itself. I think Stef and Lena are amazing parents, and their love for all children in need, regardless of background or social status, is heartwarming. They are believably dysfunctional, like a real couple would be. Each of the characters is well developed and portrayed wonderfully, especially Hayden Byerly's amazing job as Jude.

However, I must say that the thing that drew me to the show in the first place, Jude and Connor, was frustratingly minimal. Most characters on the show had intricate subplots that they sometimes spent several minutes at a time on or even large parts of episodes. Jude's ambiguous relationship with his best friend did not receive the same treatment. When they showed up, it was frequently for about a minute at a time. Have them play video games or exchange a few lines of dialogue, then cut back to Brandon or Mariana for two or three more scenes. It isn't really a deal breaker for me. I mean, it seems a little disproportionate, but I can deal. I just can't help but wonder why that is, or why Jude will sometimes be missing for entire episodes.

That being said, I find the series delightful overall. As much as I grumble, this really is my favorite show. I think it's fantastic that society has reached a place where shows like this can have a successful run without being shut down. Conservative hate groups have raised a fuss, as I figured they would, but what gives me hope- REAL hope- that things have really changed is that people aren't listening to them. Not anymore. And that we have reached a place where the subject of LGBT youth can be explored without causing World War III is incredible. Even ten years ago, something like Jonnor might have gotten a show pulled.

I am unhappy that I am caught up now, because now I have to wait a week between episodes like everyone else, haha.

-Turtle

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, the lower amount of air time for Jude is frustrating.  Some fans have said it's due to Hayden and Gavin's ages but that doesn't make any sense at all.  Maybe they're still developing as actors but I think the past few weeks show that both of them are excellent actors.  The show producers however have said that ABCFamily asked them to take the Jude-Connor story line much slower than originally conceived and wait for the 2nd season to pursue it.  I suspect that their becoming a fan favorite might increase their air time.  A lot. One of the producers said there are a lot of Jude-Connor ideas on Season 3's story boards.  

Another frustrating thing for me that you may've also noticed is that Jude hasn't once voiced his feelings on Connor since that first conversation with Lena about his feeling jealous of Connor and Maddie.  He didn't say whether he LIKED Connor kissing him in the tent for example. All discussions about his sexuality is in the voice of Lena -- mostly her saying that he hasn't made a decision about his sexuality. Yet, we don't see any follow-up conversations with Lena and Jude.  I've been wondering about that bit where Jude told Connor it isn't nice to lead someone on -- Connor can only lead Jude on if Connor & Jude have talked about Jude's feelings.  So... I waiting to hear Connor and Jude talk about their feelings for one another. While it is authentic for middle schoolers not to be articulate, Jude tends to be very articulate (although Connor not as much).  Hopefully, it's forthcoming because the current subjective approach is aggravating.  

Edited by karas

I just can't help but wonder why that is, or why Jude will sometimes be missing for entire episodes.

Some fans have said it's due to Hayden and Gavin's ages but that doesn't make any sense at all.

It's not so much about their ages and what they can handle, as much as it's about child labor laws and the way Hollywood works - they are only allowed so many hours  to shoot.  I love this storyline and am happy to see it progress, but I completely understand why they are limited in the amount of time that it gets, as far as the hours that they are allowed to film.  I'm hoping that we can ship Jesus to boarding school and get more time with Jude and Connor, but in the absence of that, I'll settle for less Jesus and more of just about anyone else.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, newbie here. I'm 9 episodes in and just a question....if/when will Mariana or Jesus ever be disciplined? It seems like they never are. One of the Moms getting shot should have precipitated more than a "we'll always love you" speech in my opinion. Don't these kids ever get punished? Mariana is a terrible person thus far, all that to-do with the drugs and she didn't even get punished? Her mom got SHOT...SHOT. I guess I'm just not getting it.

Edited by slayer2

My memory is fuzzy on details, but I don't think the kids in that family generally get more than a talking-to.  Lena and Stef are pretty laissez-faire as far as discipline.  They are kind and nurturing and encouraging, but they give their teens a lot of latitude to come and go and make mistakes, without large consequences.  I think they sort of just laughed off the house getting trashed when they went on their little getaway, if I recall.  Not the way it would have gone down in my house.

No, I don't recall any of them suffering much in the way of parental punishment.

That said, Jesus is easily the best behaved of the older kids but probably suffers the most actual parental punishment, most of the stupid stuff he does is the sort of stupid stuff that a lot of teenage boys do. Brandon (especially Brandon), Marianna, Callie, and even Jude do some criminally (literally) stupid stuff.

Of course Stef has committed several crimes over the course of the series herself in spite of being a police officer, but never actually suffers any repercussions either.

I cancelled my cable because the only thing I was watching was this show but now the third season is on Netflix, so I am very happy :)

I just had to say that it made me so happy that the show runners keep adding diversity and I believe even educating people. "genderqueer", use of the "they/them", this is not something I would have imagined possible (to be in a TV show) and yet, it is!

And I just love how the actor who plays Cole was so open as to show us the transition process (or at least it gives a good idea to non-initiates). Kudos to him, the producers and everyone else. Even if the story made it seem that it is "easy" (AJ not really flinching), I do think it came in the right dosage. Hopefully this will be explored deeper as the show moves ahead.

Also a bit too soapy was Callie's scene in the courtroom. But I don't mind a PSA here and there. It is valid in the whole context of the show.

• Love 1

So, was I imagining things or was there supposed to be a Christmas episode? If so, when is (was?) it? Did I miss it?

Yes, there was a Christmas episode in Season 2 that aired last December; 02x11 - "Christmas Past."

• Love 1