Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Dead Lift

Liv, on fitness guru brains, and Clive continue investigating a murder with no body and no evidence. Meanwhile, Peyton approaches councilman Zed (guest star Kareen Abdul-Jabbar) with a request but doesn't get the answer she was hoping for. Lastly, Liv surprises Major with a thoughtful gesture just when he needs it the most.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/9/19

(edited)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! He's on the writing staff for this final season, which is beyond awesome.

ETA: Head's up for NYC-area viewers. Tonight's ep is preempted by a baseball game, and will be shown on Sunday, May 12, at 6 p.m.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5
On 5/5/2019 at 9:11 AM, dubbel zout said:

ETA: Head's up for NYC-area viewers. Tonight's ep is preempted by a baseball game, and will be shown on Sunday, May 12, at 6 p.m.

Yeah, this happens at least twice a season, and is a bit annoying. Anyway, I usually watch it the next night on the CW app. I'll check if it's available on demand or Roku before that. 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:11 AM, dubbel zout said:

Thanks for the info. Around here we get that show on an NYC station. I was looking at TV schedules only in prime time and gave up after going all the way to next Wednesday. 6 PM? I wonder how many regular viewers will miss it in the viewing areas involved.

You killed weevil, you bastards!... AND Jordan. I guess one advantage of being on your last season means you can kill a bunch of your secondary characters. 

Wish they’d kill Frenchy. 

• Love 3

You can really see what a deadend character Chase Graves was, i wonder if that was always intended. They didn’t give us much to like or sympathize with but Major is quite the fluffy bunny in the job.

I actually enjoyed Liv on Fitness Brains because it was one of the more recent ones where it didn't feel like she was completely taken over by them, and was still Liv, only more obsessed with staying in the shape.  More recently, it felt like the brains would turn her into a completely different person, so that was nice.  Plus, she apparently has helped Ravi and Peyton's sex life now!

Oh, Major!  I get that he is desperate, but I suspect that this "fight fire with fire" idea is going to backfire on all of them big time.  Trying to counter "fake news" with your own lies is not a long term solution!

Fare thee well, Baron and Jordan.  The supporting crew are probably fair game this season.  I fear for the likes of Vampire Steve and Detective Cavanaugh!

Love that Clive, Ravi, and crew are still doing the whole D&D thing, and Clive continues to be way to into it.  Maybe if the wall ever comes down, Clive and Ravi can head over to Riverdale and help the Archie gang with the G&G problem!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I actually enjoyed Liv on Fitness Brains because it was one of the more recent ones where it didn't feel like she was completely taken over by them, and was still Liv, only more obsessed with staying in the shape.  More recently, it felt like the brains would turn her into a completely different person, so that was nice.  Plus, she apparently has helped Ravi and Peyton's sex life now!

Same here. The last couple of seasons, they went too hard with Liv on Zombie Brain basically being only Zombie Brain. This is the first episode in a LONG time where I felt like they finally refound that balance that they had early on in the series. I hope for more of that. 

What else I loved? Seeing every single main character (besides Blaine/Don E) get to talk about what's happening in the city in the police station. That was the first time where I felt the show was really coming together. I really want more of that, instead of feeling like the characters are all separated in their own plot like the last two seasons. 

It's probably why this became my favourite episode in a long time. I absolutely loved everything that happened. This episode is what I was expecting of the show, in all honesty. The gang getting to interact more, Major/Liv in an actually good place, some excellent scenes with Major trying to manage Filmore Graves and trying to make sure his zombie comrades don't start a war, even when the humans are doing it themselves, Ravi and Peyton in a really great place, and even Liv finding her new plot with the kids. 

The only downside? That blonde lady who's really stirring things up. Also the fact that Jordan's dead. I get why they did it, but it still is sad. I liked Jordan...but they needed to up the stakes and make it clear that the humans are just as much of a threat as the zombies. I know Major did try to counter the fake news stuff with his own version of it. It may not work out later down the line, but it does work as a temporary solution. I do get that there's no real easy decision and it all falls on Major. He's the one who will be blamed when more wars start happening in their city.

Major will probably figure out soon that he'll need to adjust his tactic and it'll only get harder to control the other zombies that work for him when more zombie bodies begin piling up. I don't mind them upping the stakes, though. It's the final season; might as well go crazy! 

I loved seeing Dale Bozzio get to sit in the interrogation room for a change.

• Love 3

I forgot to mention - Elizabeth the stripper from The Office!

I noticed that "Without You" was playing during two of Ravi and Peyton's scenes. If one of them dies at some point during the season and they play this song as a callback, I am going to cry like a baby.

20 hours ago, Affogato said:

You killed weevil, you bastards!... AND Jordan. I guess one advantage of being on your last season means you can kill a bunch of your secondary characters. 

Wish they’d kill Frenchy. 

Weevil! Thanks. I kind of forgot where I knew Francis Capra from.

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Same here. The last couple of seasons, they went too hard with Liv on Zombie Brain basically being only Zombie Brain. This is the first episode in a LONG time where I felt like they finally refound that balance that they had early on in the series. I hope for more of that. 

What else I loved? Seeing every single main character (besides Blaine/Don E) get to talk about what's happening in the city in the police station. That was the first time where I felt the show was really coming together. I really want more of that, instead of feeling like the characters are all separated in their own plot like the last two seasons. 

It's probably why this became my favourite episode in a long time. I absolutely loved everything that happened. This episode is what I was expecting of the show, in all honesty. The gang getting to interact more, Major/Liv in an actually good place, some excellent scenes with Major trying to manage Filmore Graves and trying to make sure his zombie comrades don't start a war, even when the humans are doing it themselves, Ravi and Peyton in a really great place, and even Liv finding her new plot with the kids. 

The only downside? That blonde lady who's really stirring things up. Also the fact that Jordan's dead. I get why they did it, but it still is sad. I liked Jordan...but they needed to up the stakes and make it clear that the humans are just as much of a threat as the zombies. I know Major did try to counter the fake news stuff with his own version of it. It may not work out later down the line, but it does work as a temporary solution. I do get that there's no real easy decision and it all falls on Major. He's the one who will be blamed when more wars start happening in their city.

Major will probably figure out soon that he'll need to adjust his tactic and it'll only get harder to control the other zombies that work for him when more zombie bodies begin piling up. I don't mind them upping the stakes, though. It's the final season; might as well go crazy! 

I loved seeing Dale Bozzio get to sit in the interrogation room for a change.

Now Major is actually using his brains and talents to lead people and make hard decisions in an impossible situation. For a long time, he was either crazy, desperate, suicidal or the puppet of someone else. I'm glad they moved on from that.

When Blaine dies (and he'd better die) I think I want the death to be anti-epic. Like he just escaped in his own plane in the last episode and dies by accidentally walking into a propeller.

• Love 1

Sad about Jordan... I knew before watching two ppl were gonna die... And I knew Jordan was gonna be one... I was actually relieved that Justin wasn't the other.. Because you know... We tend to get offed to highlight white pain... Still sucks major always was good with kids... 

• Love 1

This was such an awesome episode. The time they spent on world building has really paid off and once again their allusions to the "real" world are so on point it's scary. 

The only thing that I didn't like was Major rebuilding the guillotine, even if it was for 'fake news' purposes. But it does show how easy it is to think that dirty tricks can only be countered by dirty tricks. 

In contrast, Peyton choosing to try to save the city over her precious career (and she's always been so ambitious) was great. 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, GaT said:

Major to Liv: “I thought you already had your monthlies” Zombie women still get their period?

He lives with Ravi. He thought it was Ravi cooking brains, which he'd only do during his monthly zombie turn. 

• Love 2

At the end, Mrs. Jones told Dolly she stole blood from a hospital. I thought Ravi said it was corn syrup? Or am I mixing this up for some other staged event?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

At the end, Mrs. Jones told Dolly she stole blood from a hospital. I thought Ravi said it was corn syrup? Or am I mixing this up for some other staged event?

The blood in the car was corn syrup but there was actual blood at the scene.

• Useful 2
(edited)

Poor Jordan and Baron. I get that they have to show the situation is real and intense, but its still sad to start to see supporting characters go. 

I hope that awful blond lady gets hers soon, what an awful garbage person she is. major creating his own fake news seems like a good strategy for now, but I see it backfiring. Poor Major, he really is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. 

Peyton possibly sacrificing her career for the city is great, although I hope things work out for her. I enjoyed her talking to the two city councilmen who hate each other, but also say basically the exact same things. Politicians gonna politic, living or undead!

Glad to see that Ravi, Clive and the gang are still keeping up with DND, and that Clive is as into it as ever. 

I liked Liv on fitness brain, it wasnt like it got to be for awhile there where she was almost a totally different person on different brains, she was still Liv, just a Liv who is super into fitness!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I enjoyed her talking to the two city councilmen who hate each other, but also say basically the exact same things. Politicians gonna politic, living or undead!

God I loved those two are the archetypal American liberal and conservative.

"He doesn't have the balls!/ He doesn't have the heart!"

It's way better than weird French zombie detective (WTAF is that about? He's STILL THERE and I still don't know who was smoking what when the character was created).

• Love 7
On 5/14/2019 at 12:27 AM, AudienceofOne said:

God I loved those two are the archetypal American liberal and conservative.

"He doesn't have the balls!/ He doesn't have the heart!"

It's way better than weird French zombie detective (WTAF is that about? He's STILL THERE and I still don't know who was smoking what when the character was created).

He’s french canadian. 

"Sweat is just your fat crying!" ha! 

This episode made me wish they weren't cancelled. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

RIP Weevil!

I love that Clive is still playing D&D and he's SO INTO IT!

That was my favourite part.

• Love 1

I DO NOT understand this show anymore. Why do they keep killing characters we care about? Jordan hurt. The coyote hurt less but still...

I don't know how the writers looked at the clusterfuck they created with the human trafficking, child soldiers, religious cult, public executions, etc. and thought... you know what we can really handle: domestic terrorist hate groups and suicide bombings. I mean, I'm genuinely baffled. I don't know what they could possibly be thinking.

The show is not fun anymore and they're also really bad at doing anything serious. I just... WHY. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

I will say that even though the plotline is garbage, I do like the actress playing Dolly. She's a minor antagonist on Superstore but I never pictured her being this evil. 

• Love 3
On 5/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, aradia22 said:

I will say that even though the plotline is garbage, I do like the actress playing Dolly. She's a minor antagonist on Superstore but I never pictured her being this evil. 

This is what happens when she can't get her coke in Seattle!

• LOL 1