Type keyword(s) to search

Catfish In The Media

I wasn't sure where to post this but thought it was interesting enough to try to squeeze it in somewhere on the boards.

My daughter (studying to be a therapist) is taking a communications class in college.  

The class will be viewing an episode of Catfish as one of their assignments and then writing a paper on it.

It's the "Matt and Kim" episode (ironically an episode I really enjoyed and liked both participants).

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of Catfish being introduced into college classes and wondering if anyone had any insight as to why instructors would choose the Matt and Kim episode over the other episodes to dissect.

Too bad Max and Nev aren't making an appearance in the class.  Otherwise, I'd be squeezing into the seat right next to Mini Persnickety.  

I wasn't sure where to post this but thought it was interesting enough to try to squeeze it in somewhere on the boards.

My daughter (studying to be a therapist) is taking a communications class in college.  

The class will be viewing an episode of Catfish as one of their assignments and then writing a paper on it.

It's the "Matt and Kim" episode (ironically an episode I really enjoyed and liked both participants).

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of Catfish being introduced into college classes and wondering if anyone had any insight as to why instructors would choose the Matt and Kim episode over the other episodes to dissect.

Too bad Max and Nev aren't making an appearance in the class.  Otherwise, I'd be squeezing into the seat right next to Mini Persnickety.  

I don't remember Matt and Kim. What was their episode about?

Anybody else find it strange that there were no shows on for a long time then they suddenly decide to put 2 episodes on against the Olympics? Seems like bad programming to me.

They run each new episode so many times, even just within the first week, I don't see when it started as meaning anything. Starting with a two episode block was an attempt to make it "special" to bring in more viewers, but they should have focused on better advertising. It seemed like they were pushing the new season hard early on, then forgot about it, as did I until I saw it on the night's program listing.

The Katy Perry fishing keeps getting attention, actually from her this time.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/katy-perry-‘my-heart-goes-out’-to-‘catfish’-victim/ar-BBw1NjM?li=BBnb7Kz

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Pop singer Katy Perry has finally commented on last week’s Catfish episode that starred Knoxville man Spencer Morrill, who thought he had dated Perry for six years online.

Perry shared her thoughts on the situation during an interview on the SiriusXM radio show The Morning Mash Up, saying "my heart goes out to" Morrill.

"You know, like, my heart goes out to him actually because anybody that's been fooled like that or just, you know, people have dreams, and people live in different parts of world where not everything is always so accessible. Like we live on the coast, and we, you know, get stuff in a way that some other people don't get, and I felt bad for him, and so I didn't really like to indulge in that," said Perry.

The singer said she found out about Morrill because someone sent her a link about what happened on the show last Wednesday.

"Yes someone sent me a link, and I didn't actually read through it because I just think it's really unfortunate and very sad," she said.

During the Catfish episode, Morrill, with the help of show hosts Nev Schulman and Max Joseph, found out that he had been catfished by a woman named Harriet who lives in England and pretended to be Perry. After the episode aired, Harriet bragged about catfishing Morrill on Twitter, receiving praise and disapproval by other Twitter users.

Morrill admitted to being gullible and said he won't pursue another online relationship in the future.

2 hours ago, AConspiracy said:

"You know, like, my heart goes out to him actually because anybody that's been fooled like that or just, you know, people have dreams, and people live in different parts of world where not everything is always so accessible. Like we live on the coast, and we, you know, get stuff in a way that some other people don't get, and I felt bad for him, and so I didn't really like to indulge in that," said Perry.

I'm sorry- but is this English?  That isn't even a coherent answer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GenL said:

I'm sorry- but is this English?  That isn't even a coherent answer.

LOL, that was my exact reaction "Like we live on the coast, and we, you know, get stuff in a way that some other people don't get" WHAT???? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Is she talking about import/export or is she calling people in middle America dumb?  Because jeez.  People are dumb everywhere. This show makes that pretty clear.

Edited by marny
On 1/7/2017 at 2:06 PM, scootypuffjr said:

^^ Watch this! Good stuff, very funny and only a couple of minutes long.

OMG that is hilarious, and kind of scary and sad, too, because in reality it isn't that far-fetched!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AfterwardsTV said:

I think the last 100 special just got pulled, but Catfish Trolls might still air? Shut that down too just for brand association.

I doubt it. It was supposed to have premiered last fall, but MTV hasn't mentioned it in a while. I sought comment about it from Catfish publicists when I was writing this post for Vulture, but they never answered.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

I doubt it. It was supposed to have premiered last fall, but MTV hasn't mentioned it in a while. I sought comment about it from Catfish publicists when I was writing this post for Vulture, but they never answered.

Zap2it lists 2 Catfish per week airing on May 30th, June 6th, and June 13th.

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview.html?programSeriesId=SH01616968&tmsId=SH016169680000&from=sl&aid=gapzap

Only one has a description. 

"Meike, a female gamer, gets help confronting Maldiva, an online troll that's been harassing her for six years; when she's finally able to track him down and call him out on his misogynistic behavior, his reaction is shocking."

Zap2it seems to have mistaken it for more of Season 7, but there's only one thing it can be. A burn-off of Trolls.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:48 PM, AfterwardsTV said:

Zap2it lists 2 Catfish per week airing on May 30th, June 6th, and June 13th.

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview.html?programSeriesId=SH01616968&tmsId=SH016169680000&from=sl&aid=gapzap

Only one has a description. 

"Meike, a female gamer, gets help confronting Maldiva, an online troll that's been harassing her for six years; when she's finally able to track him down and call him out on his misogynistic behavior, his reaction is shocking."

Zap2it seems to have mistaken it for more of Season 7, but there's only one thing it can be. A burn-off of Trolls.

That seems to be gone now. And if Catfish Trolls is about to premiere, its official Twitter feed is being pretty chill about it: it hasn't published a new tweet since last summer.

• Love 1

“I'm fortunate that there are a number of former colleagues who were present during this time period who are willing to speak up with the truth.”

I wonder how much that cost. No mention of Mrs. Nev, I guess this was one episode she decided to skip.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the youtube videos? I did. I'm one who is usually inclined to believe women when they make these kinds of accusations, because honestly it opens them up to all kinds of ridicule and scorn, if not outright threats, so unless they are seeking money and notoriety, there is not much of an upside to making false claims. That being said, the girl was a bit all over the place, and pretty much what she claimed Nev did falls under the heading of hardcore pressing. That he can be a douche is no surprise, but he really should've backed off (if what she says is true). 

The accusations against the production person were far more disturbing. I sincerely hope that if there is even a grain of truth to what this girl said, that this has been addressed with the person in question, who at the very least should not have a job anymore.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Crap. You know what that means. Nev and his wife.....I won’t watch.

Does it? She didn't distinguish herself in her guest-hosting three episodes ago, or the brief appearances that the producers tried before that. They could go back to a rotation of guest hosts or change things up enough for Nev to go solo (sort of; we've been seeing a lot of the staff on camera lately, and sometimes hearing from them).

The only reason "the show must go on" is because this is Nev's only legacy

The way he words that, like a show that has over 100 hours needs to keep going on a mission is barf-worthy

You make fake crap for a living, follow Max's lead and go do something real for a change

• Love 6
On 10/6/2018 at 11:54 PM, Angeleyes said:

I just saw a commercial for Tiffany Haddish’s new movie “Nobody’s Fool” and it looks like Nev and Max make an appearance as themselves in the movie.

Yeah, me too, and when I look on IMDB they aren't even listed in the cast.   Yet they are all over the trailer.  Maybe not a good sign (for the film, I mean....)

On 8/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, cooksdelight said:

I’m more convinced than ever that most of the Catfishers and Catfishees are paid actors. Remember this guy? He was on Judge Judy recently.

FEBC4CF0-3139-43D8-89C0-A528BDE715E1.jpeg

Could be, or they could just be reality show whores who aren't good looking enough or have a good enough personality to do the Big Brother/Amazing Race/Bachelor shows, so they do the low rent Catfish/Judge Judy shows. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4