Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: A Political Campaign and a Candy Land Cheater

Bort
  • Start Topic

Unhappy that school funds are going towards football rather than academics, Sheldon decides to run for class president.

Airdate: Thursday, April 25, 2019

I liked George's explanation about Texas and football.

George, "It's Texas."

George, "Let me try this again.  There is Canada, the other states, and then there is us."

I love that Missy and Georgie are allowed to act like actual kids.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13

Perhaps I’m overthinking this, but where did the money for the campaign-handouts come from?  The swag was modest, but still required money.  And is Sheldon class president (only sophomores) or student body president?  Why would sophomores be the only ones making school announcements?

• Love 10

Missy to Mary: God's listening, mom!

Sheldon: Like a ventriloquist? Like a muppet? You do look like Kermit.

The pastor must have nightmares of Sheldon.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

Perhaps I’m overthinking this, but where did the money for the campaign-handouts come from?  The swag was modest, but still required money.  And is Sheldon class president (only sophomores) or student body president?  Why would sophomores be the only ones making school announcements?

Maybe he brought swag from his allowance savings? Are he and Missy still making money doing the twins research? We know adult Sheldon saves his money.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 4/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, Spartan Girl said:

George's speech to Sheldon was beautiful.

Of course Sheldon wins when he outs his opponent as a New Yorker. 

Golden Girls rabid fan here!  (I never ever thought I would make a comparison between YS and the GG)!! Having said that, this YS episode was reminiscent of the GG episode when Blanche was intent upon joining The Daughters of the Old South. While preparing her lineage presentation for the initiation banquet of the "Daughters of the Old South," Blanche discovers that her great grandmother was not only born in Buffalo, New York, but also bore the un-Southern name of Feldman.  Long story short, Blanche lost out much like Sheldon's opponent in the Class President race. The end.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 4/26/2019 at 7:39 AM, ChitChat said:

Yay for Missy for coming through for Sheldon!  As much as he annoys her, she truly cares about him.  Don't mess with Texas!!

I think it goes both ways. As much as Missy and Sheldon annoy each other, they are always there for each other. I thought it was wonderful that Missy did him a favor without asking him for something in return. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Rebky said:

Golden Girls rabid fan here!  (I never ever thought I would make a comparison between YS and the GG)!! Having said that, this YS episode was reminiscent of the GG episode when Blanche was intent upon joining The Daughters of the Old South. While preparing her lineage presentation for the initiation banquet of the "Daughters of the Old South," Blanche discovers that her great grandmother was not only born in Buffalo, New York, but also bore the un-Southern name of Feldman.  Long story short, Blanche lost out much like Sheldon's opponent in the Class President race. The end.

I thought of Golden Girls too, but about the dramatic story of Blanche's prom date. How in those days mixing was taboo. Heads turned and jaws dropped. Dorothy commented how terrible it was that they were almost kept apart just because her date was black. Blanche then said "He wasn't black; he was from New Jersey! I went to my senior prom with a Yankee!" 

Everyone's scandalized reaction to Sheldon's opponent reminded me of that GG scene.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

The episode clearly shows how dirty the policy is. You look at the on-screen debates at school and the real debate arises before your eyes ... And there are no differences!
Although it hurts me that Sheldon did read and talk about what was written on the leaflet. I wanted him to win in his own ways ... But yes, the people are not yet ready for Sheldon Cooper to become president.
And with Georgie I smiled the whole episode. He prayed that his brother would lose. Ah, I truly love this guy!😍

Edited by Friendly kitty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Spartan Girl said:

George's speech to Sheldon was beautiful.

Of course Sheldon wins when he outs his opponent as a New Yorker. 

And not just a New Yorker, but from SCARSDALE no less, a very affluent suburban town known for having a sizable Jewish population.  I can just see the writers sitting around thinking of a town that would produce the most shock and horror in Texas at that time, LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Somebody could have saved Sheldon a lot of trouble by explaining to him that class presidents, or even student body presidents, don't make budgeting decisions.

They might get a little more access to people in various positions, though. I mean, Sheldon could have MAILED his letter to the school board, if the principal wouldn't deliver it for him. But some student presidents get to participate in various meetings and bring suggestions to higher ups, and maybe Sheldon being one would get him an ear.

• Love 1

Kind of felt sorry for Nell. If she's 15 and moved from New York when she was 7, she's been a Texan more than half her life, and had even picked up the accent, apparently. Being a New York Yankee fan, I can't help her with, though.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Kind of felt sorry for Nell. If she's 15 and moved from New York when she was 7, she's been a Texan more than half her life, and had even picked up the accent, apparently. Being a New York Yankee fan, I can't help her with, though.

I would've felt sorry for her if she hadn't started the "dirty" campaign.  After her speech bringing up Sheldon's Atheism, she was just so smug and thought she had it in the bag.  I'm glad that Sheldon got back at her for being a Yankee.

:( to your comment about the Yankees.

• Love 8

<------ giphy.gif

Yeah, fair point about the dirty campaign, she did deserve what she got. If she'd just run it honestly, she would've won with no problem.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

<------ giphy.gif

Yeah, fair point about the dirty campaign, she did deserve what she got. If she'd just run it honestly, she would've won with no problem.

True. Nobody was going to vote for Sheldon and he wouldn't have even though to look for dirt.

Although you never know. I remember, my junior year (possibly senior) we were holding class nominations and someone nominated this guy for class treasurer.  A couple of weeks earlier he had been arrested for robbing a convenience store (apparently not armed, because I don't even think a minor could have gotten away with a slap on the wrist for that, but I honestly don't remember).  Everybody knew this. I figured nobody would vote for him. He won.

• Love 1

It was good to see that, while his opponent was underhand in portraying Sheldon in a poor light, she didn't say anything untrue. And (presumably) Sheldon truthfully outed her as a New Yorker, so it was an honest campaign! Still, it would be nice if Sheldon could thank his sister for handing him the win (though I don't see it happening).

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, nora1992 said:

Perhaps I’m overthinking this, but where did the money for the campaign-handouts come from?

Granted this is from a different country (UK) and age (college), when I ran for Student President, we were given a small budget (in the region of £20/$30, IIRC) for posters & stickers. I can imagine that School President might get something similar, so I don't think printing buttons is that unreasonable.