Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Never Let You Go

• Start Topic

Airing April 24th:

The hospital goes into lockdown mode when a man with a gun holds medical staff hostage. Goodwin is forced to make a tough decision. Dr. Rhodes begins to realize his time with his father is getting short.

Ok, one more thing to say and that is, how in the world can that young girl be sitting up in a chair when an hour or so before she had her belly sliced open with a C section?  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, one more thing to say and that is, how in the world can that young girl be sitting up in a chair when an hour or so before she had her belly sliced open with a C section?  

Probably why a guy as delusional was telling her to get up and take the baby and leave. What the hell was he on to even think that? Plus, not only was she slicked open, but she was badly and I do mean badly bleeding and apparently has other problems. she is luck she ever knew what time it was. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I don't have much to say except that I was glad when the SWAT team finally shot the nasty little fucker dead. 

Me, too. I was like, “C’mon, Sharon, lead him into the kill zone. Yes!”

• Love 8

I was surprised no one from Voight's Intelligence Unit showed up to end the fiasco.

Also, magic hands Bekker did heart surgery in record time and was as arrogant as usual afterward. 

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Oh miracles of miracles...the baby/mother didn't die. I did roll my eyes when they mentioned a 38 week pregnant patient. I mean we haven't had a good baby/mother dying plot for a while. 

Although a mother who had a ruptured uterus, lost litres of blood and had rather unsterile surgery would still be cactus for a long while yet.

I know I shouldn't let the little things bug me, but every single ED department is equipped with sterile packs, particularly one with a fancy hybrid OR, which seemed redundant at this point because they don't use it, but why the hell is Rhodes up to his elbows in uterus without gloves and gown on? It would take seconds to do & save her from potentially life threatening complications. 

But then again, she's taken that magical healing potion that gets handed out like candy in #OneChicago land so she will be right.

Natalie continues to be completely unprofessional and dates a dead patients husband. It's not only wrong, it's creepy and I am getting bunny boiler vibes from Lady FBI.

They do not need to get rid of Rhodes & the crazy South African, they need to nuke the whole place. 

• Love 4

Could have done without this episode and glad I wasn't the only one who, as terrible as it sounds (and I'm not a violent person), wanted them to shoot this unbalanced kid.  There was absolutely zero reasoning with him and I could see Goodwin torn between trying to save everyone (baby and girl, specifically) or have the SWAT team take him out.

Choi walking April through the procedure with the little boy--looking concerned but adoringly at her--was as bad as Manstead helping each other deliver the baby/save the pregnant teen.   Yes, I get it, in adversity, everyone's so empathetic and emotional; then they show these "tender" moments with each other even though they've moved on with other people.   I hope this won't be the catalyst for Chexton or Manstead to reunite.

Smug Bekker saying she saved Connors's father - too bad she wasn't inured in the melee.

And speaking of which, S5 has been renewed--and most should know by now--they've fired/dismissed/written out the Dr. Bekker and Dr. Rhodes characters (the old "creative differences" reason).  I could care less about Ava but Connor - monumental mistake.   IMO, he's been the glue who's held the show together since its inception.   And as an actor in this series, had the most intelligence, skills (trauma and CT surgeon), camaraderie (with all others and especially with Dr. Latham) and challenging (with Goodwin and the new CEO) role.   He will be sorely missed and unsure how they'll write out his character and more importantly, how it will impact the show going forward.  Selfishly, I would hope to see Robyn and him just go off to some other hospital or he becomes a mentor to other doctors (teaching but still doing surgery).  I definitely don't want to see Ava and him together.  I'm hoping the showrunner/Dick Wolf will rethink this dire decision and he will at least return in some guest spots.   This will definitely affect my viewing of Chicago Med as the other characters are too bland, boring and just plain uninteresting to continue to watch with any regularity.

• Love 11

I guess there was supposed to be some "subtle" irony at the end when the teenage mother decided she might not want to give her baby away after all, which is what set the whole chain of events into motion. I agree it was hard to feel too much for the hostage taker, he had no plan for getting out of the hospital and no plan for what to do if he did.

• Love 1

Can I just say that my teeth were grinding together so hard that chips of enamel were flying out at the tv screen?

JFC, David. Let's see. You're still in high school, so no college. You got a job that pays twelve whole dollars an hour. Great. That's not even fucking poverty level wages.  You want your girlfriend to give up her dreams of college so she can either live in squalor working in a dead end job or being a totally fulfilled stay-at-home mom experiencing the joys of surviving on food stamps, shopping at Goodwill and dealing with a partner whose best idea to solve a problem is to start shooting people?

Fuck. You. David.  

And Lily turns out to slightly brain dead too.  "But he's mine!". Then think of his future, you stupid girl!

And by the way, when are TV producers going to stop selling the trope that teenage girls should keep their dear little bundles of joy? 

I used to pass by a Salvation Army Day Care on my way to work, and the number of babies dropping off their babies was disheartening.  Kids with bookbags in one hand and 18 month olds in the other. 

Who tells these kids adoption -- or yes, let's be frank -- termination -- is not an option for them???  TV telling them keeping their kids will end up to be a happy-go-lucky, sunshine and roses ending is not a good thing!!!

Lily's dad bring a hardass isn't a bad thing, you know.  Don't be so happy, Dr. Manning.  Lilly isn't making 6 figures like you and can afford a nanny.

Sorry about the rant, but enough is enough.

P.S.  They didn't shoot you soon enough David, you walking pile of toxic masculinity.  "My son!". Yeah, like you're the only one who counts. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, rhys said:

Maybe with Conner leaving we will have more (some?) Dr Latham. That would be a huge silver lining.

Yeah, I kinda hope The Code is canceled soon so Dr. Latham can return.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pippin said:

Can I just say that my teeth were grinding together so hard that chips of enamel were flying out at the tv screen?

JFC, David. Let's see. You're still in high school, so no college. You got a job that pays twelve whole dollars an hour. Great. That's not even fucking poverty level wages.  You want your girlfriend to give up her dreams of college so she can either live in squalor working in a dead end job or being a totally fulfilled stay-at-home mom experiencing the joys of surviving on food stamps, shopping at Goodwill and dealing with a partner whose best idea to solve a problem is to start shooting people?

Fuck. You. David.  

And Lily turns out to slightly brain dead too.  "But he's mine!". Then think of his future, you stupid girl!

And by the way, when are TV producers going to stop selling the trope that teenage girls should keep their dear little bundles of joy? 

I used to pass by a Salvation Army Day Care on my way to work, and the number of babies dropping off their babies was disheartening.  Kids with bookbags in one hand and 18 month olds in the other. 

Who tells these kids adoption -- or yes, let's be frank -- termination -- is not an option for them???  TV telling them keeping their kids will end up to be a happy-go-lucky, sunshine and roses ending is not a good thing!!!

Lily's dad bring a hardass isn't a bad thing, you know.  Don't be so happy, Dr. Manning.  Lilly isn't making 6 figures like you and can afford a nanny.

P.S.  They didn't shoot you soon enough David, you walking pile of toxic masculinity.  "My son!". Yeah, like you're the only one who counts. 

yes. Show Manning getting in trouble for handing out 'Plan B' to every girl who comes in... just in case. Feel queasy and dizzy after drinking a coke at a party. B Time!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, crowsworks said:

Show Manning getting in trouble for handing out 'Plan B' to every girl who comes in... just in case. Feel queasy and dizzy after drinking a coke at a party. B Time!

Manning? Oh, hell no. She's the one running around telling everyone to keep their babies, AFAIK.  

• Love 1

This episode was horrible. I knew when the kid left the hospital that he would come back with a gun. The opportunities to bring him down were many. Someone could have come up behind him when he was looking into Lily’s room and knocked him out. But it was enjoyable to watch Susan walk him into the kill zone. 

• Love 4

This show is generally very bad but sometimes it manages to be worse than expected.

The kid had a good reason, or maybe even a good case to fight for the baby but the writers decided to make him a complete asshole, without any hint of sense, or even real concern for the girlfriend and the baby. Top that with a very bad choice of an actor who can't deliver, working with all the other bad regular actors, you get what this episode was.

Do the writers care about the show? do they read what they write to check for coherence? Are they so badly paid that they just say "fuck it, whatever", and do the bad writing on purpose? Or are they so bad they are badly paid and don't really care about their names being linked to the writing anymore? It doesn't look like this show (like many) has a writer's room, at least not one with people who really care about what they are doing.

Anyone else extra annoyed by Natalie forever smile, monotone voice and endless "compassionate" looks? Who is this actress and why is she still working?

A better ending would be for the kid to let all the patients go and kill all the doctors, and nurse April. None of them would be missed.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 4/26/2019 at 7:30 AM, alexvillage said:

Do the writers care about the show? do they read what they write to check for coherence? Are they so badly paid that they just say "fuck it, whatever", and do the bad writing on purpose? Or are they so bad they are badly paid and don't really care about their names being linked to the writing anymore? It doesn't look like this show (like many) has a writer's room, at least not one with people who really care about what they are doing.

Agreed.  This episode was weak and poorly written.   I do wonder if after 4 seasons (now renewed for a 5th) if the initial showrunner/writers are there or if there's been some turnover as I'v noticed some of these plots/storylines are just absurd and implausible.   They are assassinating these characters which makes me dislike most of them more.  Is anyone "monitoring" what's being written or as you say, they just don't pay attention, care or aren't invested in the characters anymore.   It's lazy writing.   If that's the case, and IMO, end CM now before the show continues its downward spiral--especially since Colin Donnell (aka Dr. Rhodes) won't be returning for S5.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Anyone else extra annoyed by Natalie forever smile, monotone voice and endless "compassionate" looks? Who is this actress and why is she still working?

She manages to give those same "compassionate" looks every damn week.  I guess that's what she calls "acting" but it's so annoying!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It probably wouldn't have gotten that far if his pregnant girlfriend's father didn't get involved.  There was little doubt that from the very beginning she didn't want to give up the baby.   It was abundantly clear that her father was behind it all, and I wasn't the least bit shocked at the end of the episode when she decided to keep the baby.

Yes, but the Nasty Little Fucker came back into the hospital with a gun, so even if the father hadn't been involved, it was clear that the NLF had bad intentions.  So yeah, I'm glad they shot him dead. 

• Love 3

Y'all. Did the little boy with the fever make it? He's the only one I cares about and I don't think they showed him.

I wish Lily had still decided to have the baby adopted.  

Bekker is a bitch and I wished that she had been shot. 

I was also rooting for SWAT to kill the gunman. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Court said:

Y'all. Did the little boy with the fever make it? He's the only one I cares about and I don't think they showed him.

The boy was just an excuse for April to show her superpowers and will probably result in a promotion from nurse to doctor. Yes, I said promotion because why should we care about the proper route for someone to become a PA? Nothing else seems to matter to the writers, so they can just make her a doctor now.

• Love 6

My big question...how exactly did David even know Lily was in the hospital? According to her, they were no longer in contact; and she had come in because of a car accident, not her scheduled C-section. Yet he magically appeared...

• Love 2

* I was hoping Connor's dad would die. Just because he's annoying and creepy.

* I don't really understand Connor being pissed Becker operated on the dad. It's not like it was an elective procedure and on this show we know there are only 1 or 2 doctors ever available.

* the shooter storyline was not believable to me. I'm glad they at least had Sharon try to connect him with a lawyer. There is no way the adoption is going through with zero input from him if he's objecting--they would need to demonstrate he was not the birth father. Adoptive Mom would be really stupid to move ahead without clearing up that issue. Otherwise it's a great way to end up in some battle a few months down the road after you've bonded with the baby.

* for some reason I liked the scene of Connor trying to save Lilly and he just had blood all down his neck, random places on his face. . . I'm more used to blood only impacting hands.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2019 at 10:35 AM, Pippin said:

Fuck. You. David.  

I would like this post 1000x if I could.  These kinds of stories infuriate me, as if it will be all magically happy families now.  And no one can convince me that she saw the baby's father shoot HER FATHER and shoot other people and take hostages and would have shot other people while trying to take the baby out of the hospital and then said, yeah, I want to keep HIS baby!  Psycho, murderous dad is such a great start, can't wait to raise this baby and tell him who his father was.

• Love 3

I’m sorry, I know it’s against the law for a pregnant kid to actually, successfully give up their child for adoption on TV, but when the girl at the end tells Daddy she wants to keep the puppy, why does Dad have to support both the 16 year old mom with no job or education AND her child forever?  Why does he have to agree to this in every circumstance?  It’s not his problem. Well, it shouldn’t be.

People being forced to take care of other people’s stupid pregnancy decisions infuriate me. Choi’s sister included.

• Love 1

But having a child means you are responsible for them, stupid decisions included.   Including angry dad and his teenager.  Should he be able to throw out his 16 year old daughter with no job, no education, and her infant for them to live on the street?

• Love 2

I wasn't bothered by the teenager deciding to keep the baby and dad getting on board to help out. I'm also not bothered by successful adoption storylines. In this case, however, I did not get the vibe that teenager was on board with the adoption. So it seemed more believable she'd reconsider and that dad may as well. I don't like anyone getting pushed into either decision. It's a very important one with lifetime impacts.

also just the previous week (I think) we saw Manning helping out pregnant teenager who got her own partial medical abortion. I'm not a fan of Manning but I didn't see her at fault in this episode as some have.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:06 AM, Ailianna said:

But having a child means you are responsible for them, stupid decisions included.   Including angry dad and his teenager.  Should he be able to throw out his 16 year old daughter with no job, no education, and her infant for them to live on the street?

I do not believe he gets to be forced to be responsible for her getting knocked up. I don’t believe he should be forced to support her child or her past 18.  Everyone talks about HER decision to keep the baby, but why is this man forced to pay for her decision? If he is responsible for a 16 year old minor, then the 16 year old does not have the right to decide keep a child that he has to pay for. This should only happen with his consent.

Am I the only one who finds Bekker actually starting to be a little interesting? When she was goo goo-ing over Dr LookAtMyBeard and calling him a “cowboy” I just wanted to puke. But now each week she shows she’s not just manipulative or conniving or a little creepy. Chick is a full-blown Psychopath who just might be responsible for an interesting episode or 2 on this dull soap opera. She might make Dr Choi snap out of his weekly emotional crisis. She might even make April speak words instead of stare looooooonnngingggly at... somebody.

Continuing to dislike Nurse AntiGun and her weekly “I know better than the rules or those pesky ethics thingies.” Liking Miz FBI Agent, more please.

And is the dangerously antisocial little blonde med student in MedJail now? Miss her. She was disturbingly interesting.