Type keyword(s) to search

Show Format: Irritations and Fresh Ideas

dccfangirl
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Holly85 said:

It’s one of our local news ! "My hope is to continue their stories with our fans more globally, as we are in the process of negotiating a new partnership and we look forward to continuing to feature the DCC on a new platform," Finglass said.

This makes me hopeful! I honestly didn't believe CMT would EVER cancel MTT. With auditions only a month a way, I wonder if they will be able to get negotiations done in time or will they need to wait until next season to film. I feel like I've watched this show for most of my life at this point. I'd be so sad if it's finally ending. 🥺

• Love 11

*sigh* With all the retirement news coming out,  I had really high hopes that we might FINALLY get to see Ashlee as point this year. I was thinking it would possibly be her and Caroline. If the show gets picked up by another Network maybe TPTB freshen up the show format a little. Honestly, I can see maybe Netflix being interested. Especially with how successful CHEER was. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Only on CMT.   I bet that there is a more profitable way to do the show, and they said on another platform.   I bet they're in negotiations with another network, and CMT's contract ran out, so they're shopping production companies, and possible income, with producer credit and more money for the on-screen talent, and this show will be back soon.    I bet more control on storylines, and content will be in the negotiations also.       I'm betting the big viewer draws like the swimsuit shoot, and other events will be highlighted, because they promote the calendars and other sales items.    

My guess is that CMT didn't make a renewal offer that was attractive, or refused conditions about filming, money, who gets creative control, etc.    I'm guessing this show will end up on a streaming platform, unless another production company wants to do the show, and has a network, either streaming, online, or cable interested in carrying the show. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Only on CMT.   I bet that there is a more profitable way to do the show, and they said on another platform. 

I was thinking the same thing. I hope that's the case.

• Love 5

Well, this is kind of shocking news! I, too, join those hoping another platform picks up the show and stat. I have been watching since season 3--and I want to see Ashlee's training camp where she becomes GL and/or point this upcoming summer! 😪

There were 2 jaw-dropping moments for me in that TX Monthly article:

1) Tammy Barber saying: “If I were in AT&T Stadium today,” she told me, “I would puke on the star.” An appropriately damning and honest reflection of how at least some DCC alumni feel about the high-paid peeping Tom locker room settlement.

2) The part about Jerry Jones's 25-year-old love child who is a congressional aide and doesn't want to be bound by her mother's non-disclosure. I totally missed that story coming out, but, dang, Jerry. Seems pretty on brand.

• Love 16
(edited)

CMT: DCC, tonight will be your last night. The decision is final, but we do hope you reconsider trying out next year!

Kelly and Judy: yes ma’am, thank you so much for this opportunity. 

Edited by KickPretty
😩
  • LOL 7
  • Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet they're in negotiations with another network, and CMT's contract ran out

Good! We’ll get rid of the god awful current intro song 😂😂😂 that can stay with CMT!

Edited by KickPretty
🤦🏽‍♀️
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6

You know what I think? HEY JENNY DCRB TIME on a show? But damn. Does anyone think its time for Dayton to tryout again? Didn't Dayton say she would try out as long as there were cameras but she may tryout if the show and cameras were gone?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, corrieb90 said:

I have just heard the making the team is not being renewed, is this true? I'm from the uk so may have heard late.

CMT are not picking it up for a 17th season. There are comments and speculation that it may go to another platform. One of the benefits of that might be that it is more readily available in Europe. We will have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, Kamal said:

One of the benefits is that we may never have to see Melissa Wyancroft. (sorry don't know how to spell her name)

Or the original idea for the season :  Victoria Kalina-The Phoenix Saga Lol  

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

If the show is cancelled, so be it. All good things come to an end. This board will be closed, and that's a shame, but the show has gone stale for me. It has been many years since this was appointment television, and I tend to skip entire episodes.

If there's no show, maybe they'll allow the media to cover auditions again, and the candidates themselves can post on social media to make it easier to follow along in real time. (Note: I did not say I expect any significant coverage on DCC social media. I keep my expectations realistic.)

It would also mean less pressure during TCC. I think the shine of being on the show wore off long ago and it has become a deterrent for some who don't want to risk scrutiny, ridicule, and embarrassment on tv. And maybe there will be some relief on social media as well, with a reduction in people who feel like they are in the know and can say any old thing to or about these women. Maybe without the show, there will be an uptick in auditions.

I know enough about DCC now. I would like to see CMT cover some other teams. I doubt they would, but if they did, they'd probably focus on the south, so Titans, Falcons, Jaguars, maybe even Texans. A million years ago, there were DVDs released for the making of the Dolphins, Bucs, and Chargers dance teams. I'd love to see something like that again.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, KickPretty said:

CMT: DCC, tonight will be your last night. The decision is final, but we do hope you reconsider trying out next year!

Kelly and Judy: yes ma’am, thank you so much for this opportunity. 

I just had an image of Kelly saying, “I wrote you a poem…”

• LOL 15

Rather than focus on the negative I just hope the show returns with a fresh approach and be better than ever.  Especially since the caliber of dancers has become super strong in recent years.

I'd also like to see more of the Vets featured.  It takes both Vets and Rookies to make up the team & I really enjoy seeing each lady's growth.

• Love 22
16 hours ago, Uk-Eve said:

You know what I think? HEY JENNY DCRB TIME on a show? But damn. Does anyone think its time for Dayton to tryout again? Didn't Dayton say she would try out as long as there were cameras but she may tryout if the show and cameras were gone?

Dayton possibly trying out for DCC may be the only good thing to come out of this. Lol

• Love 4
10 hours ago, KickPretty said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb25yztOgj5/?utm_medium=copy_link

Not sure where to put this, but since when do rookies go on the calendar shoot? What am I missing? 

They actually always have. It was just the nonsense they tried to pull (for no good reason) in Season 7, trying to say that the rookies won't go on the shoot while the vets would, when in reality, they showed that calendar shoot out of order and it was done long before they started filming for Season 7. Calendar Shoot is always around this time of year every year, before auditions, and the only ones who don't go are girls who are retiring.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It may be a great thing to see the show on a different network/platform. This show has needed something different for a while now, and I'd like to see them bring back Kitty's Solo Prep, and Jay's Bootcamp (I know) sessions again. Also, online auditions were cool for 2020, but really don't need to keep happening. It takes away from the fun that was the "American Idol Style" auditions, which was always my favorite part of the show.

• Love 8
On 4/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, Bindilou said:

Just got the news. :( This just showed up in my Twitter!  I am so sad because I thought it was the best show for CMT.  I wonder if the new production team just didn’t get it?  I’ve watched this with my girls since they were young.  It’s my guilty pleasure I look forward to every year.  I am very sad about it, but it could blow up huge if they pitch to Netflix IMO.  I hope they do

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Bindilou said:

Wonder if that means they are shopping around for a new home or contracts and new press media kits are not done yet.  Hope it’s the later,  because plenty of good shows have shopped around and died looking for new homes

• Love 3

I agree with most of you especially the subject of showing and commenting on girls that we all know will not make the team. I get it, some of the girls are out of shape, do not know how to dance, etc. There is no need to giggle and make fun of them in a roundabout way. Also, I am over Melissa Rycroft. Especially when she tried out her rookie year and acted like a Fruit Loop. Concentrate on selecting group leaders, second leaders, fitting for the uniform, who is selected for the point of the triangle, etc. Also, I would like to see who works for the DCC like Kashara. 

• Love 5

My guess is that Kelli is shopping the idea around of a DCC show but nothing has been picked up.  I think Netflix would be great option & perhaps a season with a spring movie of the calendar shoot. What other networks would be good?

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, cherryblossom said:

My guess is that Kelli is shopping the idea around of a DCC show but nothing has been picked up.  I think Netflix would be great option & perhaps a season with a spring movie of the calendar shoot. What other networks would be good?

OWN, Discovery, Disney, even Travel would be good since the ladies come from all over.  ESPN used to do one hour specials about the calendar shoots every year so that's another possibility.  I'm just not ready for it to end.😭

• Love 7

I am starting to feel like they won't confirm the show was picked up until about 2 weeks before it airs - when it is time to run ads and promote the new season.

Keep us longtime fans guessing all training camp which may have the additional benefit of keeping a lid on insider posts/leaks as well, which I have long suspected have at least partially sourced from MTT production. Ugh.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

I am starting to feel like they won't confirm the show was picked up until about 2 weeks before it airs - when it is time to run ads and promote the new season.

Keep us longtime fans guessing all training camp which may have the additional benefit of keeping a lid on insider posts/leaks as well, which I have long suspected have at least partially sourced from MTT production. Ugh.

I noticed they did that last season. Not announcing that they had been picked up for another season until right before it aired. I'm guessing they struggled to get last season okayed and have known this whole year that they were getting canceled by CMT (and have been working this whole time to find another platform).

• Love 2

I miss the original format, the interviews (with vets and rookies), jump splits, field rehersals etc it seems there has been so little dance segments than previous seasons. I know they want to improve the standard every year but I just wish they could do what they used to do with inexperienced dancers. Season 1-10 are my favourites for that

• Love 6
On 4/6/2022 at 12:59 AM, Kamal said:

So it's CMT's decision and not the DCC’s?

Since Kelli et al are reportedly shopping for a new platform, it makes sense that it was CMT's decision. If it was the Cowboy's, it was a very stupid move to walk away from CMT before securing a new platform.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Good and interesting opinion piece about the cancelation of MTT.

https://jezebel.com/cmt-cancelling-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-show-issue-1848756787

That's an interesting take on things.  First, yes, the Cowboys had the two recent scandals (that really didn't get much publicity), but they had zero to do with the show itself, so why would the NFL want the show cancelled? It makes sense that CMT would want to walk away from the show to distance itself from the cowboys and their controversy, but cancelling the show doesn't do this for the NFL. Also, if the NFL had a hand in it, Kelli et al would not be shopping for a new platform.

Second, cancelling a little known show is not even close to equal to the disbanding of an entire squad. Also, the "no last names, not allowed to post pics on private social media" stuff. I don't know about the other teams, but neither applies to the DCC (they may not publish the last names, but they don't go to any lengths to hide them either).

Third, it's a little known show. Far more people have never heard of it than know about it or watch it. Yes, it's nice to be able to see the process, put names to faces, etc., but the huge "hole" that will be left & the "turning these women back into sex objects" that the cancellation of this show will cause is a tad exaggerated.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, corrieb90 said:

I miss the original format, the interviews (with vets and rookies), jump splits, field rehersals etc it seems there has been so little dance segments than previous seasons. I know they want to improve the standard every year but I just wish they could do what they used to do with inexperienced dancers. Season 1-10 are my favourites for that

Completely agree. I miss the Pre-Covid Audition Format.

To me, the biggest issue in the show taking a turn for the worse, actually happened around season 11, so it lines up with you saying Season 1-10 were the best. In season 11, CMT started trying to promote their Country artists with useless appearances by people like Raelynn (sp.), Kacey Musgraves, and Kellie Pickler, etc. and every season since, it's gotten out of hand. That's one reason I'm glad it's leaving CMT.

Also, way, WAY too many Guest Choreographers. A couple a season is fine, but do they really need to have a different one every non-audition episode of a season? No.
I'm fine with seeing Denise Dicharry, Jenn Colvin, or even Jenn Amburn come in and teach the girls a routine, but all these outsiders EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE is what started ruining it for me, personally. And bring back the Kitty Carter episode (usually around episode 5 or 6 of a season). They got too off-track from what worked before, and got too obsessed with trying to promote people who have nothing to do with the organization.

Edited by ShutterbugCAM
Added a little more
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ShutterbugCAM said:

And bring back the Kitty Carter episode (usually around episode 5 or 6 of a season).

I hated that her screen time was cut to make the show meet network leadership’s niceness objectives.

• Love 2

I'm in agreement with so many of you above! 

I'd love to have Kitty back. I know she can be a hot mess but in general (not always), she knows which ones will stick and which ones won't work. She's typical of most dance teachers I've had. If you work hard and improve, you'll win her over. 

I do like the guest choreographers but there are a few too many. I'm fine with the ones who will do actual choreo that DCC will actually use (any ex-DCC and Denise) but maybe just add in the odd different style just one a season. I love Travis Wall and Evan Miller but they'd be better to concentrate on field choreo as much as poss.

I also agree with more dancing. Most of us have said we watch it to get to know the girls and to see the dancing! More side by side comparison between vets and rookies would show us who looks stronger.

We just want to see more of the women competing for the team, both vets and rookies, and less of everything else! An episode just on show group would be right up my street also. 

• Love 7
On 4/8/2022 at 4:37 AM, DCC-UK said:

I'm in agreement with so many of you above! 

I'd love to have Kitty back. I know she can be a hot mess but in general (not always), she knows which ones will stick and which ones won't work. She's typical of most dance teachers I've had. If you work hard and improve, you'll win her over. 

I do like the guest choreographers but there are a few too many. I'm fine with the ones who will do actual choreo that DCC will actually use (any ex-DCC and Denise) but maybe just add in the odd different style just one a season. I love Travis Wall and Evan Miller but they'd be better to concentrate on field choreo as much as poss.

I also agree with more dancing. Most of us have said we watch it to get to know the girls and to see the dancing! More side by side comparison between vets and rookies would show us who looks stronger.

We just want to see more of the women competing for the team, both vets and rookies, and less of everything else! An episode just on show group would be right up my street also. 

I really like the guest choreographers and think they help liven the audition process and freshen up the choreography! ]Plus, I love hearing their takes on the dancers, both rookies and vets. I feel like they often gave me better insight than K & J, or at least a different professional take on the dancers.

I didn't feel they had that many choreographers way outside DCC style the past two years. I think Evan Miller's choreo translates well to the field and that he is one of the guest choreographers they have who regularly teaches an elevated DCC style. For me, the only outlier choreographer they had this year, in terms of those who teach in DCC style, was Travis Wall. There were Brittany P-R and Crisilla, who both are a bit more hip hop but they for sure can draw on her choreo for halftimes and Show Group, Evan, whose choreo Judy says looks great on the field, the kick coach who obviously fits, Travis Wall and his contemporary barefoot that does not fit but I'm sure helps them all grow as dancers, and Denise Dicharry, whose work goes directly onto the field. That all seemed pretty on point to me.

But I totally agree that there was a point they had a lot of contemporary choreographers and it felt like, OK, how much technique they won't be using on the field do you really need to see to decide who's on the team? (That said, I love that they had Tyce Diorio! I especially loved hearing his and his partner's thoughts and feedback on the team.) Also, 100%, the CMT guest plugs were awful!!  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, M1977G said:

I really like the guest choreographers and think they help liven the audition process and freshen up the choreography! ]Plus, I love hearing their takes on the dancers, both rookies and vets. I feel like they often gave me better insight than K & J, or at least a different professional take on the dancers.

I didn't feel they had that many choreographers way outside DCC style the past two years. I think Evan Miller's choreo translates well to the field and that he is one of the guest choreographers they have who regularly teaches an elevated DCC style. For me, the only outlier choreographer they had this year, in terms of those who teach in DCC style, was Travis Wall. There were Brittany P-R and Crisilla, who both are a bit more hip hop but they for sure can draw on her choreo for halftimes and Show Group, Evan, whose choreo Judy says looks great on the field, the kick coach who obviously fits, Travis Wall and his contemporary barefoot that does not fit but I'm sure helps them all grow as dancers, and Denise Dicharry, whose work goes directly onto the field. That all seemed pretty on point to me.

But I totally agree that there was a point they had a lot of contemporary choreographers and it felt like, OK, how much technique they won't be using on the field do you really need to see to decide who's on the team? (That said, I love that they had Tyce Diorio! I especially loved hearing his and his partner's thoughts and feedback on the team.) Also, 100%, the CMT guest plugs were awful!!  

Agree on all of this. I'm a big fan of most of the guest choreographers (I'm a fan of dance in general), it just feels like one per show, sometimes more (apart from the first and last show usually) is a bit too much. I'd be interested to see a list of who/how many per season there have been so far. 

I'm always intrigued by their opinions, especially when they discuss who stood out in their choreo and then in DCC style. I don't think I've really disliked any of them that I can think of. 

One of the features I didn't really get was the healthy cooking challenge from season 14. I liked the guy on it and seeing a few girls thrive but what did it have to do with the show? An awesome opportunity for the girls but did it really need to be filmed for us to see?

I think I'd like to see more appearances. When the rookies visit hospitals or retirement homes, that's a lot of what they'll be doing during the season. All the girls seem relaxed and genuine in these situations and we'd be able to find out more about their personalities. 

I think the main problem has always been they find a feature that the audience seems to respond to and then they go overboard. We don't mind guest choreographers, special guests, alum visits, fitness tests, media days etc but they seem to add them all in together and then that takes away from the dancing and getting to know the girls. It needs to be more of a balance. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DCC-UK said:

I think I'd like to see more appearances. When the rookies visit hospitals or retirement homes, that's a lot of what they'll be doing during the season. All the girls seem relaxed and genuine in these situations and we'd be able to find out more about their personalities. 

Doing releases for appearances like these would be a huge pain for production. I can completely understand why they wouldn’t want to film these. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4