Type keyword(s) to search

Show Format: Irritations and Fresh Ideas

dccfangirl
  • Start Topic

On 10/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, Anduril said:

How many more seasons do you think this show has and when do you think this show jumped the shark?

Seasons remaining - the remainder of Kelli’s career plus two.

Jumped shark moment? It may not have happened yet.  Hard.  I’d say either the pre-bikini shoot Cowboys Fit segment with the hottie trainer -or- Victoria’s mascara running down her face onto Kelli’s garment (ok, I don't know that Kelli got any on her, but I was afraid of it).

My jump the shark season was the one with the current 3rd years because of the "all hail The Sacred Star!" crap.  Also, they took 2 who obviously (obviously to me anyway) wouldn't last (Kalyssa & Alexandria) instead of Taryn & Brennan.

So I guess I can say that my show irritation is when people who should not make the team do for the sake of drama.  More dramatic cutting Brennan again than boob-shaking Kalyssa or eyelash emergency Alexandria.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, ByTor said:

My jump the shark season was the one with the current 3rd years because of the "all hail The Sacred Star!" crap.  Also, they took 2 who obviously (obviously to me anyway) wouldn't last (Kalyssa & Alexandria) instead of Taryn & Brennan.

So I guess I can say that my show irritation is when people who should not make the team do for the sake of drama.  More dramatic cutting Brennan again than boob-shaking Kalyssa or eyelash emergency Alexandria.

I legit thought Kalyssa would stick around a couple seasons before heading to The Bachelor or other influencer opportunities. Things for sure took a turn with that one! 

Alexandria one and done for sure, so disappointed she bailed so quickly tho. I was watching that season on Pluto and was like how did they cut anyone?  So many good rookies that year. Would have kept Taryn and Brennan over Christina tho. All day and twice on Tuesday. 

Edited by kalibean
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, ByTor said:

touch the star......

• LOL 1

Not sure if this was posted before but I really HATE that they dont call the girls in order at finals ... how stupid to see a girl called only to see her still sitting when Kelli announces 5 girls left ... this is not drama to me its annoying ... do they think we are not smart enough to notice this ... please just show the names in sequence for pete's sake 🙄

• Love 24
2 hours ago, lah715 said:

Not sure if this was posted before but I really HATE that they dont call the girls in order at finals ... how stupid to see a girl called only to see her still sitting when Kelli announces 5 girls left ... this is not drama to me its annoying ... do they think we are not smart enough to notice this ... please just show the names in sequence for pete's sake 🙄

I agree 100%

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lah715 said:

26 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I agree 100%

Ditto

• Love 1

@KnyghtRyder SAID:

I really like Melissa Rycroft. Cracked me up when she said that to Vivian (I think because it’s exactly something that I would’ve said). 

I have nothing against MR.  The thing I don't like, though, is her mentoring certain girls AND being a judge.  That could lead her to not picking who's the best, but picking a pet project or two who would make a good storyline for her.  I think her role should be "ok, this is who the judges picked, these are the ones that need the most help" . Either that or just let her judge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
21 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I have nothing against MR.  The thing I don't like, though, is her mentoring certain girls AND being a judge.  That could lead her to not picking who's the best, but picking a pet project or two who would make a good storyline for her.  I think her role should be "ok, this is who the judges picked, these are the ones that need the most help" . Either that or just let her judge.

I can most definitely get on board with that! 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Jazzhands said:

Does Melissa actually pick the TCCs she “mentors”?  I just assumed it was a production decision, but then again, I’m a cynic.  

If she does do an end of season podcast with Scott talking about the show, we should ask her.  I also assume it's production with pressure, I mean input, from Kelli😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jazzhands said:

Does Melissa actually pick the TCCs she “mentors”?  I just assumed it was a production decision, but then again, I’m a cynic.  

5 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

If she does do an end of season podcast with Scott talking about the show, we should ask her.  I also assume it's production with pressure, I mean input, from Kelli😁

IIRC, insider info from back during Kyndall’s first or second Training Camp, it is actually CMT that sets up the “mentoring sessions” with Melissa. MTT producers ask Judy whom she thinks could use a mentor session (basically the strugglers) along with a vet who should assist, and Judy provides the names. CMT then asks these specific girls if they want to attend the session. The session isn’t mandatory (from Kelli and Judys perspective), but it does get back to them if a TCC turns it down. 

This info all came out the year Kyndall either turned down or skipped the “mentoring session” that Melissa and Megan C did. Apparently Megan C confronted Kyndall at practice, either that evening or whenever the next practice was about not showing up. Then someone on the forum said Megan C is a mean-girl and everyone took sides. (For what’s its worth, I think all girls have the capacity to act in a way that could be considered “mean-girl.”)

The confrontation wasn’t filmed (or at least didn’t air) and the mentoring session wasn’t included in the episode, but as a stand alone clip on the CMT:MTT website. 

Not sure what the deal is now with the new production team. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
Clarify thoughts...fuzzy brain...early morning
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KnyghtRyder said:

IIRC, insider info from back during Kyndall’s first or second Training Camp, it is actually CMT that sets up the “mentoring sessions” with Melissa.

I think you definitely are remembering correctly...at least that's how I also remember it.  So even though she technically doesn't choose who she mentors, I think she could make predictions of who would make good mentoring stories & as a judge would recommend those candidates.  I'm sure there's a Breelan every year 🙂  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Have we ever seen the end of year banquet on the show the following season? I don’t think we have. 

Mark my words, Auntie Kelli will make sure Milkshake Kalina will win ROY, and we will see it on camera. 🙄

• Love 1
8 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

IIRC, insider info from back during Kyndall’s first or second Training Camp, it is actually CMT that sets up the “mentoring sessions” with Melissa. MTT producers ask Judy whom she thinks could use a mentor session (basically the strugglers) along with a vet who should assist, and Judy provides the names. CMT then asks these specific girls if they want to attend the session. The session isn’t mandatory (from Kelli and Judys perspective), but it does get back to them if a TCC turns it down. 

This info all came out the year Kyndall either turned down or skipped the “mentoring session” that Melissa and Megan C did. Apparently Megan C confronted Kyndall at practice, either that evening or whenever the next practice was about not showing up. Then someone on the forum said Megan C is a mean-girl and everyone took sides. (For what’s its worth, I think all girls have the capacity to act in a way that could be considered “mean-girl.”)

The confrontation wasn’t filmed (or at least didn’t air) and the mentoring session wasn’t included in the episode, but as a stand alone clip on the CMT:MTT website. 

Not sure what the deal is now with the new production team. 

Didn't Kyndall work full time? I remember a VT of her practising in the office toilets. They say they want the girls to have full time careers outside of DCC yet seem to hold workshops and extra sessions during weekdays. You can't penalise people for working! Hold the sessions on weekends instead!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

Didn't Kyndall work full time? I remember a VT of her practising in the office toilets. They say they want the girls to have full time careers outside of DCC yet seem to hold workshops and extra sessions during weekdays. You can't penalise people for working! Hold the sessions on weekends instead!

Yes she did work full time, at least her first time in TC, and I think she had one of those jobs where she only got certain amount of time for breaks/lunch. Then (again IIRC) I think it was also Kyndall who had a boss that was kind of a jerk and possibly released/fired her. I can’t recall if that was her 1st or 2nd TC and if her firing was addressed on the show or on the forums. Anyway, the clock in the background of Melissa/Megan C mentoring session indicated that it was 4pm. Very possibly she just couldn’t get off work in time. 

Side rant: I always thought it was kinda shitty for the girls who have to work to live/eat/survive are competing against girls who live with their parents, work (at most) 10 hours a week, who don’t go to school, and who don’t have to cook/clean/shop/bring home the bacon. They are probably so exhausted and stressed. No wonder they are always crying. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Side rant: I always thought it was kinda shitty for the girls who have to work to live/eat/survive are competing against girls who live with their parents, work (at most) 10 hours a week, who don’t go to school, and who don’t have to cook/clean/shop/bring home the bacon. They are probably so exhausted and stressed. No wonder they are always crying. 

I always felt the same. The DCC has “full time” expectations for this “part time, it’s an honor to cheer for us you should want to do it for free” position. 

They want to be able to brag about the jobs that women on their team hold, but hold it against them when they have to choose said job over a TV mentoring session they are arent likely getting paid for. 

• Love 10
16 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I think it was also Kyndall who had a boss that was kind of a jerk and possibly released/fired her

She said she parted ways with her job...then clarified that they parted ways with her LOL.  I always imagined that she was spending a lot of time in the ladies room, someone went in to see if she was ok, and she was found there barefoot, dancing.

16 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I always thought it was kinda shitty for the girls who have to work to live/eat/survive are competing against girls who live with their parents, work (at most) 10 hours a week, who don’t go to school, and who don’t have to cook/clean/shop/bring home the bacon. They are probably so exhausted and stressed. No wonder they are always crying. 

Another reason I ❤️ Brennan!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, ABC1234567 said:

Moving across the field /entrance should be a part of auditions

Yes!  Since they're on the field, they can get an idea of how good/bad they are at hitting the hash marks.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ByTor said:

Yes!  Since they're on the field, they can get an idea of how good/bad they are at hitting the hash marks.

It should be a part of finals when they're in groups of fives performing on the field. I actually really like the entrance so I'd like to see more of it. Seeing amazing dancers struggle with it makes it even more exciting! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

How many steps do they do to cross 10 yards in the entrance.  I just visited ATT stadium and my short legs would have a hard time trying to do it in less than 6.  Of course I didn't try the full entrance which may have given me more yardage

41 minutes ago, Lexusprincess said:

How many steps do they do to cross 10 yards in the entrance.  I just visited ATT stadium and my short legs would have a hard time trying to do it in less than 6.  Of course I didn't try the full entrance which may have given me more yardage

They do four counts per five yards, or an eight count over 10 yards when they’re traveling during the entrance.  That’s quick.  Typical marching band pace is eight counts to five yards.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Lexusprincess said:

I can just picture you on the tour, whipping a set of poms out, playing TS on your phone and going for it😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I can just picture you on the tour, whipping a set of poms out, playing TS on your phone and going for it😂

I thought about it. The cheerleader's locker room was my favorite part of the tour.  One of the other guests on the tour from "across the pond" had her husband take a picture on the 50 with her on her knees and then shifted to the side.  He got into it.  She probably would have joined me in formation.  I rewarded myself with an ABBE bear for being such a good fan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Lexusprincess said:

I thought about it. The cheerleader's locker room was my favorite part of the tour.  One of the other guests on the tour from "across the pond" had her husband take a picture on the 50 with her on her knees and then shifted to the side.  He got into it.  She probably would have joined me in formation.  I rewarded myself with an ABBE bear for being such a good fan.

I would definitely milk it too, probably do the splits to pretend I'd just completed the kickline! I would love to visit Dallas some day!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Given the current Coronavirus situation, I would think this would be GOLD for the producers of DCC: MTT! What a great way to refresh it and get everybody interested in it again - do a 4 or 5 episode special season intro about the unique challenges AND opportunities that the #COVID19 quarantines and social distancing posed in the audition and tryout process, with a MUCH deeper dive into that process than we've seen in the past, THEN pick up from the Training Camp announcements as usual and go through TC, including, if needed, how TC and the start of the season was/will be impacted by the Coronavirus quarantine delays on events.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nene said:

Given the current Coronavirus situation, I would think this would be GOLD for the producers of DCC: MTT! What a great way to refresh it and get everybody interested in it again - do a 4 or 5 episode special season intro about the unique challenges AND opportunities that the #COVID19 quarantines and social distancing posed in the audition and tryout process, with a MUCH deeper dive into that process than we've seen in the past, THEN pick up from the Training Camp announcements as usual and go through TC, including, if needed, how TC and the start of the season was/will be impacted by the Coronavirus quarantine delays on events.

I agree that this is a chance to refresh the show by presenting something different, but in all honesty, if they were to spend even one whole episode about how the DCC was affected by this, I think they would anger their fans.  They would come off as out of touch - a cheerleader squad having to change their audition process is no big deal compared to how others were affected.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

For the new virtual auditions:

What I would like to see is them asking rookies who made it into training camp how many times they filmed themselves before finding the "perfect" one to submit. I wonder how many would low-ball the number! I also noticed that the DCC website doesn't give tips on what makes a "good video" in terms of lighting/angles/videography, so maybe the normal questions that the judges ask on the floor, like how they feel, could be more centered on the video-ing process itself. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think a lot of these things have been mentioned already, but here are some of my opinions.

Keep/add back:

Group leaders/guest choreographers using stickers to choose their team of 36

The board where each TCC is ranked on how they scored during auditions (that was so eye-opening that some rookies ranked very high and some veterans very low)

Follow-ups on past DCC (especially those from early seasons!)

Triangle placement (I liked that this past year they showed them asking guest choreographers who they thought would make a good point!)

Follow the team for some events during the season (ex: calendar shoot, show group events, maybe even things like end of year banquet?)

Add:

Group leaders running their group in rehearsals

Get rid of:

The stupid new theme song, ugh.

• Love 4

I would like to see panel interviews with Kelli and Judy questioning some of the vets who have continually traveled and had friends over during this pandemic about being tone deaf to the pandemic going on and Texas sheltering at home then posting about it.   Taylor T. got booted out of training camp for being tone deaf on "Me Too" and did not make it back last year.  I certainly agreed she was an appearance risk.   Meanwhile lots of vets are going home, traveling around etc.  I understand if a DCC went home to shelter in place with their parents and stayed there.  However at a certain point the country was asked to refrain from unnecessary travel especially on planes.  Heather, who I really liked and is not returning, has posted flying to Arizona with Bridget and the two of them with their boyfriends traveling across Arizona.  Those two are not the only ones.  We have also had three of them post working out pictures together that do not live together.  

Many young girls look up to the DCC and they should be setting an example not trying to get around the rules.  

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Lexusprincess said:

I would like to see panel interviews with Kelli and Judy questioning some of the vets who have continually traveled and had friends over during this pandemic about being tone deaf to the pandemic going on and Texas sheltering at home then posting about it.   [...]  Meanwhile lots of vets are going home, traveling around etc.  I understand if a DCC went home to shelter in place with their parents and stayed there.  However at a certain point the country was asked to refrain from unnecessary travel especially on planes.  Heather, who I really liked and is not returning, has posted flying to Arizona with Bridget and the two of them with their boyfriends traveling across Arizona.  Those two are not the only ones.  We have also had three of them post working out pictures together that do not live together.  

Many young girls look up to the DCC and they should be setting an example not trying to get around the rules.  

Yes! Agreed. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, aeroluv327 said:

I think a lot of these things have been mentioned already, but here are some of my opinions.

Keep/add back:

Group leaders/guest choreographers using stickers to choose their team of 36

The board where each TCC is ranked on how they scored during auditions (that was so eye-opening that some rookies ranked very high and some veterans very low)

Follow-ups on past DCC (especially those from early seasons!)

Triangle placement (I liked that this past year they showed them asking guest choreographers who they thought would make a good point!)

Follow the team for some events during the season (ex: calendar shoot, show group events, maybe even things like end of year banquet?)

Add:

Group leaders running their group in rehearsals

Get rid of:

The stupid new theme song, ugh.

I detest that new theme song....UGH!!!!!

23 hours ago, Lexusprincess said:

I would like to see panel interviews with Kelli and Judy questioning some of the vets who have continually traveled and had friends over during this pandemic about being tone deaf to the pandemic going on and Texas sheltering at home then posting about it.... 

Can I say yes to this 1000 times?

Edited by mizzhyer
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2019 at 5:20 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

Yes she did work full time, at least her first time in TC, and I think she had one of those jobs where she only got certain amount of time for breaks/lunch. Then (again IIRC) I think it was also Kyndall who had a boss that was kind of a jerk and possibly released/fired her. I can’t recall if that was her 1st or 2nd TC and if her firing was addressed on the show or on the forums. Anyway, the clock in the background of Melissa/Megan C mentoring session indicated that it was 4pm. Very possibly she just couldn’t get off work in time. 

I wonder just how many are working full time or going to school full time anymore? They used to focus on the jobs the ladies had and they've veered away from doing that as much, which makes me think they are not enforcing that rule (request?) and that fewer girls are working full time jobs. I think Christina was the only one whose job was shown last season, in the cheesy scene with retired vet Danielle, in an office with absolutely NOTHING ELSE in it. Bridget mentioned working as a veterinary assistant and she's not doing that anymore.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, go4luca said:

+💯

FTLOG please make this happen.

PLEASE PLEASE please make this happen! That song is awful in every way!

• Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 6:29 AM, VintageJ said:

I really need CMT or DCC to get the rights to the songs so when I see them dancing, I see them dancing to the right songs.  In addition, for the reruns, please get better songs that match the dancing if you cannot play the original song.  That shit drives me insane!

OMG, YES! AT LEAST get elevator music WITH THE TEMPO THAT MATCHES THE DANCE THEY'RE DOING!! Denise Dicharry's OUTSTANDING drumline routine was set to the actual music for the first season. When that season went into reruns, they set it to some horrible music that isn't even the same tempo!

• Love 3
On 5/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, hannahbanana said:

They have plenty of All Stars (not to mention upper year vets) who could mentor girls (and actually know/have experienced current conditions). 

Melissa wasn't even that great as a DCC. She didn't seem to grasp the concept of traveling across the floor/field, Kitty (or someone) called her whiny a couple of times and she just never really stood out. There are other DCC alumni and All Stars who would be MUCH better mentors and coaches than Melissa, Sarah Gourley Idziak, for example, or Jennifer Colvin, who taught some of her choreo this past season. I've also thought Melissa is pretty snotty and downright mean when she talks about the ladies who audition badly or who don't fit the DCC look in the first few rounds. I've also often had the thought that Judy isn't the biggest fan of Melissa and her role. There was a famous moment with Maddie in her rookie season when Melissa told Maddie to smile more and Judy said to Melissa, "So THAT'S why we brought you in! As the smile coach!" and the sarcasm was EPIC.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
Spoiler

I would love to see an episode that introduces the behind-the-scenes staff of the DCC and talks about what they do. Judy has assistants, presumably Kelli does too. Let's see how they make DCC operate.
Get rid of the atrocious theme song.
Either get the rights to the actual music that goes with the routines or match appropriate music to the routines.
STAHP with the Star/Cowboys product infomercials. It's awkward and embarrassing.
Show more of the individual group rehearsals and the rookies-only and/or vets-only rehearsals.
Show more of the events that the SG and other DCCs do in the off season.
Film and show the post-game victory celebration song and dance that the DCC does in their locker room.
Film and show a whole training camp session.
Refresh the audition judging panel (not a show thing but a DCC thing, I know.) I love Neal McCoy as a singer but Neal is 61 and him leering over girls who are young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter is getting kind of creepy.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Nene said:
  Reveal spoiler

I would love to see an episode that introduces the behind-the-scenes staff of the DCC and talks about what they do. Judy has assistants, presumably Kelli does too. Let's see how they make DCC operate.
Either get the rights to the actual music that goes with the routines or match appropriate music to the routines.
STAHP with the Star/Cowboys product infomercials. It's awkward and embarrassing.
Show more of the individual group rehearsals and the rookies-only and/or vets-only rehearsals.
Film and show the post-game victory celebration song and dance that the DCC does in their locker room.
Refresh the audition judging panel (not a show thing but a DCC thing, I know.) I love Neal McCoy as a singer but Neal is 61 and him leering over girls who are young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter is getting kind of creepy.

I 100% agree with the Neil thing. I really hate him as a judge. He brings nothing to the table other than saying a girl is hot. It's so creepy. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Nene said:
  Reveal spoiler

I'd never heard of him until I started watching the show (he's not big in the UK) but found him creepy from the off. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Nene said:

Melissa wasn't even that great as a DCC. She didn't seem to grasp the concept of traveling across the floor/field, Kitty (or someone) called her whiny a couple of times and she just never really stood out. There are other DCC alumni and All Stars who would be MUCH better mentors and coaches than Melissa, Sarah Gourley Idziak, for example, or Jennifer Colvin, who taught some of her choreo this past season. I've also thought Melissa is pretty snotty and downright mean when she talks about the ladies who audition badly or who don't fit the DCC look in the first few rounds. I've also often had the thought that Judy isn't the biggest fan of Melissa and her role. There was a famous moment with Maddie in her rookie season when Melissa told Maddie to smile more and Judy said to Melissa, "So THAT'S why we brought you in! As the smile coach!" and the sarcasm was EPIC.

I can't stand her...and I try to not say anything terribly negative about people.  She's just snotty, whiny and mean.  When she made the snarky comment the "bad ones are my favorites"....she really nailed her coffin shut with me.  Of course they are...that way you can make fun of them.  She just really peeves me off.  I don't like seeing her as a judge...I don't like seeing her as a mentor, and I didn't like her as a DCC.  She was MEH at most. 

I think Sarah Idziak and Jennifer Colvin would be MUCH better mentors for these girls!!! 🙂 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Nene said:
  Reveal spoiler

I love Neal McCoy as a singer but Neal is 61 and him leering over girls who are young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter  is getting kind of creepy.

Yeh....it is getting creepy.  I know they want to see who/what look appeals to men...but Neal needs to keep the "she's hot" comments quiet.  He could simply say "I can see her as a DCC" like the other males on the panel. 

• Love 2