Type keyword(s) to search

Wishing and Hoping: Wishlist and Anticipation

• Start Topic

I would like less obvious clues and more red herrings.  In the internet age it was so easy to just google and find out pretty quickly who the performers were.

The judges are called the "judges" but really, what are they judging?  There's no performance score or anything that plays into the elimination.  Eliminate the commentary and reaction shots of the judges during the performance (or put the reaction shots in a picture in picture at the bottom right).

I'd like somehow for the show to be live and a viewer vote at home to determine the results.  Otherwise it's really just that little studio audience and maybe the judges that determine who goes home.  I'd like there to be more transparency as to exactly how the decision is made... do the judges get more voting power than the studio audience or what?

People I'd like to see on the show in the future.  I mentioned some in the initial thread.  Now that the show is a hit I want bona fide stars or used-to-be-stars, not just people with time on their hands (like Tori Spelling or Ricki Lake).

After seeing "Lego Movie 2", I want Tiffany Haddish on this show.  She can sing and she's a great actress and performer.  Michelle Pfeiffer.  Paula Abdul.  Bryan Adams.  Ryan Reynolds.

• Love 7

The producers have to walk a fine line between people who only watch the show, and those who scour the internet looking for every little clue.  This forum sussed out the identity of most of the singers within a few episodes, so I think the number of the clues could be ramped down and/or the difficulty of the clues could be ramped up.  They could start the show with really obscure clues, and gradually make them easier to figure out.  I would prefer not to have false clues -- that's unfair, I think.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

The producers have to walk a fine line between people who only watch the show, and those who scour the internet looking for every little clue.  This forum sussed out the identity of most of the singers within a few episodes, so I think the number of the clues could be ramped down and/or the difficulty of the clues could be ramped up.  They could start the show with really obscure clues, and gradually make them easier to figure out.  I would prefer not to have false clues -- that's unfair, I think.

I agree. I really like the red herrings that have been used in the last few episodes where they use common phrases that may or may not be meaningful but no outright lies.

The big change I’d like to see with the clues is to start generic and get more specific as the show goes on. They narrowed the list of possibilities far to quickly. For example with the Peacock the early clues could be related to being a singer but finding out he started at age 5 would be a few weeks in. 

I’d like to see some broadway starts on the show. Megan Hilty. Laura Bernanti. Audra McDonald. Jeremy Jordan. Lin-Manuel Miranda would be amazing. 

Also actors that are not known for being singers like Zach Levi and Matt Bomer. 

Edited by Guest
56 minutes ago, Dani said:

actors that are not known for being singers like Zach Levi and Matt Bomer. 

I can't think of a current Jim Nabors type, who's acting voice ("Gollleeee") and singing voice ("TO DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM") were so amazingly different.  Someone like that would be fun to have, but only if they stuck with one voice.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how they would do it, but something to make it less obvious who's going to go home each week.  Or maybe a different way to decide who is elimated each week-maybe it's not least talented singer-it's some other criteria.

And absolutely do away with the height clues.  I think that information allowed me to exclude contestants I may not have if it were not available.

I'd like more of the general/over-arching clues.  Like x number of grammy winners, x number of athletes, x numbers of starts on the walk of fame etc.  It allowed you to exclude or include contestants based on what we knew about the others.

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I agree. I really like the red herrings that have been used in the last few episodes where they use common phrases that may or may not be meaningful but no outright lies.

I'm still trying to figure out how "lost her sheen" is tied to Tori Spelling.  I like the red herrings as well.

34 minutes ago, chi-girl said:

I'm still trying to figure out how "lost her sheen" is tied to Tori Spelling.  I like the red herrings as well.

My guess is that it's referring to the affair her husband had, which seemed to affect her popularity.  I could be wildly off base though. 

I agree with a prior poster in the original single thread who wished that they would cut to the judges and audience a lot less during the performances.  I hate it when they do that! It's so distracting and sometimes makes you miss great stuff.  The poster suggested picture-in-picture if they felt they had to do it, and I really like that idea. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chi-girl said:

Some of them seemed to have more clues that just related to their mask. Tori has a lot of shine, glitter and sparkle that seemed to be more about unicorns. I have noticed the same thing with the Alien. I assume all of their clues come through the filter of their own egos.

Those two are the main reason why I hope the show stays away from celebrities who take themselves too seriously. 

Edited by Guest

Back to topic -- I agree with the prior poster(s) who suggested David Cassidy and Leif Garret as contestants.  And how about some prior Glee stars?  How about Pia Zadora? (She sang, didn't she?)  Charo would be fun, though possibly easy to recognize.  What about some 90's singers like Fiona Apple?  He's probably too famous, but Tom Jones would be a blast! John Schneider sings and was recently on Dancing With the Stars, so he'd be a likely suspect. Who else would we like to see?

Edited by Cowgirl

OMG -- I just thought of my absolute dream contestant:  John Stamos!!!  He's an amazing singer!  He was just mentioned in an episode of This is Us. Full House was super popular! Also, he played a doctor on Scream Queens a couple of years ago.  Please please PLEASE have him as a contestant, powers that be!!  (Except it might be a crime to hide all that handsomeness under a mask!)

A coworker of mine would also like to see Joey Lawrence as a contestant.  I agree!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Back to topic -- I agree with the prior poster(s) who suggested David Cassidy and Leif Garret as contestants.  And how about some prior Glee stars?  How about Pia Zadora? (She sang, didn't she?)  Charo would be fun, though possibly easy to recognize.  What about some 90's singers like Fiona Apple?  He's probably too famous, but Tom Jones would be a blast! John Schneider sings and was recently on Dancing With the Stars, so he'd be a likely suspect. Who else would we like to see?

David Cassidy died over a year ago, unfortunately.  

• Love 3

I agree with the live taping rather than pretaped. Involve the home audience with tweets or texts like the Voice does for the save. 

More generic clues early on, more vague - i honestly kept hoping that somebody under the costume was different than the Vulture article said and everybody guessed on the Internet. It made it boring for me. 

Too many reaction shots from the judges overall. Distracting. My dream panel would be Robin (I don’t like him as a person but he was fine as a judge), Nicole (same), Kenan Thompson, and Joel McHale. Get rid of the stupidity in the middle of the panel. 

Dream contestants - John Stamos is good (he was also on Glee), Jayma Mays (also Glee), Joey McIntyre (NKOTB), Katharine McPhee (Idol and Empire), Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hanigan (she did well on Buffy’s musical episode)  

After Celeb Big Brother, I would prefer no Joey Lawrence. Please no Jane Lynch either. 

• Love 1

I want there to be more transparency in the voting.  It would be nice to see how the audience votes.  But at the very least, I want to know who the judges voted for.  There's just so much room for manipulation.  The fix was in from the beginning as it was obvious that Jenny would die for the Monster.  And Nicole wasn't much far behind.

• Love 4

@yourdreamer I love the idea of Alyson Hannigan.  I didn't know Joey Lawrence was on Celeb Big Brother (I've never watched any of the Big Brother shows.).  Was he a jerk on there?

I wish they would never. EVER. show the judges singing along during the contestants' performances, unless it was the end performance after the reveal.  It's distracting.  I don't want to hear Jenny or Ken sing.  I usually like Nicole's voice, but I didn't like it when she sang over the contestant (I know it was only heard by us at home and not in the studio, but ugh!).  Robin, at least, was polite enough not to sing along during a concert.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/13/2019 at 5:34 PM, chi-girl said:

The only thing I can think of is Tori's poor little rich girl schtick. She grew up in the lap of luxury, but that seemed to all go away once her dear father Aaron Spelling died. She inherited much less than anticipated, and has been "struggling" (in Beverly Hills terms 😏) ever since. She was recently sued over an unpaid $87,000 AmEx bill for example.

Side note: It's interesting she hasn't pawned off her dad's typewriter (her physical clue).

On 2/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, Cowgirl said:

@yourdreamer I love the idea of Alyson Hannigan.  I didn't know Joey Lawrence was on Celeb Big Brother (I've never watched any of the Big Brother shows.).  Was he a jerk on there?

I wish they would never. EVER. show the judges singing along during the contestants' performances, unless it was the end performance after the reveal.  It's distracting.  I don't want to hear Jenny or Ken sing.  I usually like Nicole's voice, but I didn't like it when she sang over the contestant (I know it was only heard by us at home and not in the studio, but ugh!).  Robin, at least, was polite enough not to sing along during a concert.

Robin, for example, would never, ever do that while the Bee was singing.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:11 PM, jhlipton said:

That's interesting. Even the Bee, the Rabbit, and the Lion dropped obscure clues ("Take me to court", the scrunchie, etc.) The obscure clues won't do much to throw people off the trail if the contestant has a distinctive singing voice (like the Bee), or if any of the judges have worked closely with the contestant and/or know the contestant well in real life to be able to distinguish one's mannerisms. (Robin and Nicole had their suspicions that the Rabbit was Joey Fatone. Nicole mentioned that she had toured with NSYNC in the past. Jenny and the Peacock acknowledged that they went way back.) Then again, I wonder how challenging it would be to book a contestant who hasn't worked with anyone on the panel and/or know them in real life. 

Edited to add: I'd like for the show to drop a soundtrack of many of the contestants (e.g. Bee, Monster, Rabbit, Lion, Peacock) singing full-length versions of the songs they performed on the show. 😃

Edited to add 2: I'd liked to see bloopers/outtakes from the show. I saw bloopers of Nick being bopped in the head by the Deer's antlers somewhere. I like bloopers.

If the show is going to insist on showing the judges' reactions during broadcast, then I'd like to see extended cuts of the performance focusing only on the performer on the web. 

Dream contestants: Although I doubt she'd do something like this, I'd like to see Anita Baker come on just to mess with Dr. Ken's mind. 

I'd like to see the singer JoJo. Her career hit a bit of a lull through no fault of her own. She was embroiled in a nasty contract dispute, was unable to release albums, and was only able to get out of it by invoking the 7 year contract rule. She's been trying to make a comeback on her own terms.

I'd also like to see Joey McIntyre and one of the Backstreet Boys.

It'd be funny to see Kelly Rowland pop up on this (or Michelle Williams) since the judges kept throwing out those names when trying to guess the Lion's identity.

One more suggestion: any of the Braxton sisters aside from Toni. (Toni's voice is too distinctive, and Robin and maybe Nicole should pick it out right away.) 

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, Cowgirl said:

Joey wasn’t so much of a jerk and more of a snob (which may make him perfect for this show, since you are basically sequestered), but he is very diva-ish seeming and just wasn’t fun. (I only watch Celebrity version of BB) 

Yes to the more obvious voting. At least with all of the shenanigans on Dancjng w the Stars, you know what scores the judges gave. Also a big yes to not being so distracting during the singing. I want to see a silly monster or bee or lion singing, not the judges. 

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

Joey wasn’t so much of a jerk and more of a snob (which may make him perfect for this show, since you are basically sequestered), but he is very diva-ish seeming and just wasn’t fun. (I only watch Celebrity version of BB) 

Yes to the more obvious voting. At least with all of the shenanigans on Dancjng w the Stars, you know what scores the judges gave. Also a big yes to not being so distracting during the singing. I want to see a silly monster or bee or lion singing, not the judges. 

The Unicorn seemed to be so delicate. She spoke about how "someone" told her she was tone-deaf when she was a kid and it seemed to jettison her self esteem. A score of 5 from the judges probably would have crushed her. 😏

On the other hand, I'd like to see how the audience voted.

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

They are on season three? I thought they were only on season two.

You’re right. Season 2 will be on in the fall. 

Both seasons 2 and 3 are apparently going to air opposite Survivor - I watch both (and two upcoming Survivors are ones I am definitely going to be into,) so this is a problem.

I would like to see Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless. Maybe make a mini Xena reunion, and throw Ted Raimi in there.

• Love 2

I don't know if this is allowed because I have seen no post for Season 2. Who is excited for season 2. I am. So far the Masks that have been revealed are Egg, Panda, Cheetah, Flamingo, Skeleton, Fox, Bald Eagle, Ice Creme, Christmas Tree, Asparagus, Rose, Spider, Butterfly, Rottweiler, Penguin. There is one more left teh announce. Have anybody seen the preview videos for season 2 on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I am very excited for season 2.

• Love 6

May or may not be too early to start thinking about Season 3, but I want there to be more transparency.  I'm so irritated with the mediocre Thingamajig continuing to slow song his way through the competition.  He's not bad, but he's definitely not on a caliber of the others.  It was a crime that he beat out Raven Symone, who is a much better singer and performer.

I place the blame squarely on Nicole.  It seems more and more obvious to me that there is a predetermined order of who is eliminated.  Does the audience vote even have any influence or is that all for show?  With the Singoffs we were specifically told that the panel would be deciding who to keep.  What about these regular eliminations?  For Season 3, I want them to reveal the votes.  And make the judges say who they prefer.

Or if voting really counts, have them get down to the lowest 2, and then the panel votes who to save.  Like in DWTS.

Season 2 has seen a fair number of performers who were mentioned as guesses last season show up.  I believe Raven Symone and Sherri Shepherd were mentioned last season.  And there are a few others still in costume who were mentioned last season.

Based on that, I think it would be great if Brian Littrell agreed to do this show.  I'd also love to see Queen Latifah and Jamie Foxx.  And I do think Anita Baker will be showing up on Season 3.

• Love 1

What costumes would you like to see? My husband likes to razz me about this show, and he just asked me, "D'ya think Lampshade is gonna beat Toothpaste tonight?" I don't think they'd do toothpaste, but they might do a lamp. How about a baguette? Or a giraffe? I'm trying to think of tall, narrow things. 

17 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

What costumes would you like to see? My husband likes to razz me about this show, and he just asked me, "D'ya think Lampshade is gonna beat Toothpaste tonight?" I don't think they'd do toothpaste, but they might do a lamp. How about a baguette? Or a giraffe? I'm trying to think of tall, narrow things. 

The French version supposedly has a Cupcake but most everyone else has been some sort of animal.  Someone on Australia was the Prawn.

I want to see some crazy animals on our version... something ocean related.  Other versions have had an Octopus and a Seahorse.  How about a Dolphin or a Turtle or a Fish.

If they can do a Flower and an Egg and Ice Cream they can certainly do other objects or foods.  I want to see a Pizza.  Or a Donut.  Or a Meatball.

• Love 1

Alyson Hanigan (she did well on Buffy’s musical episode)  

I have to question this, Alyson is definitely not a singer. Her lines in OMWF were basically spoken word. She begged Joss for fewer lines. There are others from that show who would be better. Amber Benson can sing, and probably has time... most of the cast is probably too obscure.

• Love 1

I really hope that Lindsay Lohan does NOT get cast for Season 3.  The woman is a trainwreck and makes everything about her.  I have no idea how on earth she got cast as a panellist for the Australian version considering she has no ties to Australia and had never even been there.

The contestants on the Australian version, are, shockingly, all Australian.  I have no idea how she even knew enough about Australian celebrities to make intelligent guesses.  My feeling is that there was probably a cheat book or something of possible Australian celebrities that she picked names from.

Please please please do not cast her for Season 3.  I'd rather see Bjork (as, of course, the Swan).  I want a Backstreet Boy.  Brian Littrell would be my first choice but not sure if he's confident enough in his voice (although I think he's over his health and psych issues with that, right?).  Robin has been mentioning AJ McLean.  Either would be good.

I also want to see more pop stars of the past, particularly from the 80s and 90s.  Jessica Simpson.  Bryan Adams.  Monica.   T-Boz!  They mentioned her this season.  Would love to see either T-Boz or Chilli.

But my #1 wish for this show, I said it last season and I'll say it again, is Michelle Pfeiffer.  She can sing.  She sang in "Fabulous Baker Boys" and she sang the closing credits song in "Murder on the Orient Express".  I know she's a movie star but this show is probably filmed over a few weeks.  She could easily find the time to fit it in.

Oh and looking at my post from upthread, I still want Paula Abdul (mentioned by Nicole this season!) and Tiffany Haddish.  Tiffany would be amazing.  Mmmm hmmmm.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1

The show likes to tease that there are A-listers under there, (Lion is Brittany Spears!!?!) but there never will be. Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't need this. Weird Al might do it as a lark, but even he as a B+ (?) is unlikely.

5 hours ago, andipandi said:

The show likes to tease that there are A-listers under there, (Lion is Brittany Spears!!?!) but there never will be. Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't need this. Weird Al might do it as a lark, but even he as a B+ (?) is unlikely.

I don’t know. They might be able to get an non-singing A-lister with a really good sense of humor to commit knowing they are going to be eliminated after one episode as a publicity stunt. After all Ryan Reynolds was on the original South Korean show. 

Watching Wayne made me realize that the number one person on my wishlist would be Kelly Clarkson. She’s probably too big of a star but her adaptability plus her amazing voice is particularly well suited to this style of show.

Also several of the Glee actors could do really well here. 

My short list:

• Melissa Benoist
  • Grant Gustin
  • Jesse L. Martin
  • Victor Garber
  • Chris Jericho
  • "Weird Al" Yankovik
  • Leslie Jones (though I'd miss her reactions on Twitter)
  • Gillian Anderson
  • Nice Peter and/or Epic Lloyd (from Epic Rap Battles of History)
  • Neil Patrick Harris
  • Mara Wilson

And it's a bit of a longshot, considering who's on the panel and all, but...

• Jim Carrey 
5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Let me do a costume wishlist:

Dragon
Beagle
Robot
Giant Pile of Money
A vegetable, like a corn on the cob or a broccoli
Squid
Demon

Dragon and Robot were both costumes on the Australian version, but I do think raiding the other versions for ideas might be worth it. I'd certainly prefer to see a take on a costume that's already been done somewhere else than another half-assed rented costume like poor Laila Ali got. (Avoid the no-budget Dutch costumes though. Ooooof.)

I'd just like to see the show be more diverse next season. This season had a lot of black people, which was great, but... it had a LOT of black people, you know? Especially with most of the white people being terrible cannon fodder, there's only so many times you can watch the judges wrongly identify a black lady before you start wondering whether the casting was done entirely to maximise the potential for subliminal Empire plugs in the clue packages. I get that there isn't a huge pool of Asian-American celebrities to pull from, but where were the Latinx people? It's not like Gloria Estefan or Ricky Martin would have knocked this show back; they both did Glee and that was at least twice as campy as this is. (Just as an aside: Remember how after last season everyone was all "all kinds of famous people will do this now!"? That... didn't really wind up happening, did it? Aside from Patti, everyone was exactly the sort of famous person who does the circuits of these kind of shows (except Ninja, who's not even famous enough for that). There weren't really any left-field Rumer Willis types this season, which is a shame.)

But even ignoring the casting issues... like, part of the fun of this show is the ridiculousness of, to use the Australian version as an example, an octopus singing Fame or a wolf singing Disco Inferno or a spider singing Zombie. I don't feel like we got a huge amount of that this season, and I'm not sure why we didn't. The costumes were certainly bonkers enough for it.

This season there were 7 white singers, 8 black singers, and one Latina. Depending on your personal taste, one would say any of those people were good or bad performers. In my opinion it was not dominated by (good) black performers. What I would say is that if they can get more Latinx and Asian performers on the show, it would not hurt it.

They should have someone on who’s also a guest judge. Like if Joel McHale can sing for example he appears on his episodes then shows up in an episode he’s not in like “Hi fellas, what’s new?”

Jesse Martin is a great idea. It was fun when both Law & Order detectives were musical theater vets. RIP Jerry Orbach  

Someone from Glee should be involved eventually. 

Alyson Hannigan from Buffy as suggested above can’t really sing but Anthony Head sure as heck can! Let’s get Giles on!

Pro Wrestler/Metal frontman/former Dancing With the Stars contestant Chris Jericho is probably petitioning to get on the show. 

Categories: 80s rocker chicks, baseball or hockey players, one hit wonders.

• Love 3