Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm seriously enjoying the books.  The series is beautifully filmed and acted, the costumes gorgeous, the stories entertaining - but the Phryne in the series is a pale shadow of the Phryne in the books.

Good to hear you're enjoying the books. I totally agree that they are better than the series - but I also love the series, with all its limitations. Of the characters invented for the TV series, I adore the Aunt Prudence character, but I loathe Phryne's father.

• Love 1

YEah, I always like Aunt Prudence.  I teared up a bit at the end.

One of the things I like best about this series is that the characters are usually somewhat nuanced - like in this episode, Dr. HAyden did hypnotise the women and obtain large donations, but he also was saving them from genital surgery.

Me too on the tearing up. And I LOVED Cec setting Aunt Pru straight about remembering those they lost.

The doctor was beautifully nuanced, imo. And I really liked Phryne realizing she was mistaken about his motives and changing how she treated him.

New constable was an ass, of course, but it just showed me how much I enjoy Dot being Dot.

I can't believe no one's made a comment on this one yet.  Constable Hugh Collins (he of the bashful smiles and Margaret Keane eyes) gets to show some bad-assery!  Go Hugh!

And doesn't anyone else wonder if Phryne would have gone with Jack on the roller coaster if the Greek boxer hadn't turned out to be such a dud in the boudoir?

• Love 1

I felt sorry for Hugh during the scene where Dot was grilling him about clothes.  Poor guy; if he had just had the wits to say that the maid's uniform was his favorite because that was when he first saw her. Or that he never notices what she's wearing because he's only looking at her eyes or smile.  Hugh is not one for the quick comeback.  And Dot should know better than to pin him on fashion.  This is a man who got her galoshes.

• Love 2

Poor Mrs. McMasters.  Having her son be a murderer surely can't help her alcoholism.  I'm afraid that even with Aunt Prudence's help, she's either going to drink herself to death or fall down the stairs and break her neck.

Between swimming and boxing, Dot is definitely getting some long looks at Hugh's body (and so are we!).  I would have expected Phryne to join in on the search for the dagger, but it probably would have delayed production too much to re-do Essie Davis' hair and make-up.

• Love 1

Just watched this episode last night (I am behind on the Miss Fisher train but have seriously become obsessed with the show) and I can definitely see why people are always shouting "makeout already!!" at Jack and Phryne. The ending with Jack refusing a nightcap because of the hour and her dress-- scorching.

Great episode for the costume department-- so many pretty dresses! I felt badly for Dot when Madame Fleuri kept insisting she was a suit girl-- every girl needs a party dress! And Dot grilling Hugh over her clothes was a bit amusing, though I felt badly for Hugh then. I'm also glad Dot didn't get a makeover, though I was happy she got to sport one of the pretty dresses in this episode.

• Love 2

I liked Hugh getting rid of the photographer and Phryne's fear of spiders.

I wouldn't mind if Phryne and Jack never get together, but there needs to be a good reason--none of this misunderstanding, hijinks, or some contrived BS only in the script to keep them apart. They are consenting adults with good brains, I'll need a good explanation if they don't get together.

• Love 2

Dot and Hugh…le sigh. I don't know where the series goes from here, but that finale was a mess. I am glad we got the kiss, even if it seemed a little just put in to make shippers and/or the general audience happy.

This episode devastated me (in a good way)! The desperate sorrow Jack had when he thought Phryne was dead, putting his hat on the car, steeling himself to take a look-- gah, so good. I liked that Dot, even though she doesn't love motor cars, still knew exactly how to work it. I hope that one day we might even see her at the wheel (with Miss Fisher, or more possibly Collins) but it would be a nice continuation of her character's growth.

While I did like that Phryne can't always use her charm and wiles to get her (the prime example being Mr. Pepper), he was just such a spectacular asshole that I was really glad she was able to rub it in his face when she introduced him to his daughter, who was an excellent driver and mechanic. Take that, Pepper!

Boy howdy was Phryne's polkadot coat smashing!  And her white hat with the pearl flowers. I just love the styling on this show.

Yes, that coat was excellent! Would love to have it in my closet-- along with most of her clothes!

• Love 1

This was a fun episode! I liked the 12 Days of Christmas as a means to murder people and getting more backstory on Phryne's family. I have a soft spot for Aunt Prudence (Miriam Margolyes is a hoot) so I liked seeing her a little more vulnerable and open in the past couple of episodes. Of course Jack and Hugh managed to show up just before they were all snowed in-- Hugh looks so nice in his civvies and Jack looked pretty fine in that sweater as well. Nice to see them both out of uniform, as it were.

When I first saw Phryne's Uncle Edward I immediately started envisioning a Miss Fisher/Fringe crossover, which would be too weird, but it's cool that John Noble made an appearance, given that he is Australian. I would love it if Anna Torv showed up as some sort of femme fatale.

Cursing the fact that Jack and Phryne were under the mistletoe and we still didn't get a kiss! Killing me!

• Love 1

Wasn't a big fan of Phryne's father showing up-- I figured her parents were dead, though I suppose it was never stated so apparently they are not! He didn't seem like a bad guy (aside from being inept with money and just kind of annoying in general) but I hate that he was used as a device to make Jack jealous. Why the hell did no one just say "oh by the way, it's her DAD, dude!"-- even Phryne herself couldn't spit the words out. Ugh. I feel like this show has been above this in the past, so I'm not really sure why all of a sudden Jack seems incredibly jealous and would think Phryne is pushing him over for someone else.

I couldn't make up my mind if Phryne was going to be able to get out of the tank before Jack smashed it open, but of course she came prepared! I liked the drama of everyone rushing on stage to try and save her, with Dot then casually tripping the murderer. Also, Dot was awesome this episode. I like that her investigative skills have been increasing and she's willing to put herself out there a bit more help Miss Fisher.

• Love 3

I liked this episode. I especially like that Jack had a lady friend-- I think it's clear they had mutual affection for each other, though clearly more on her part than Jack's, given that his feelings are complicated by Phryne. I definitely believed Jack when he said he'd be thinking about her proposal every moment since she asked-- I almost could have believed he was going to say yes.

I'm not Catholic, but considering how some of their current positions are still not very modern, I feel it highly unlikely that that Dot's priest would have conceded the point about wives obeying their husbands and therefore it threw me out of the episode a bit.

The Romeo and Juliet aspect was pretty predictable, but I don't think I guessed that they had each wanted the grandmother dead and each played their part in the murder.

Finally finished the series, after plowing through S2 and S3 as fast as I could (real life, what?). I am happy that Phryne and Jack finally kissed because I like them, but also because, as others have pointed, they kind of had to and I would have pissed if it hadn't happened, ha. Once they moved from antagonistic flirting/grudging respect into full-on UST, it had to come to a head somehow. I'm not really sure, if there is a season 4 or a movie, how they will move will on from this, given that Jack and Phryne come to relationships with very different viewpoints and I'm not sure how they will reconcile that without sacrificing something from the characters.

Though seriously, Jack, are you so out of practice that talking about telescopes is a romantic overture? I didn't really care for the A-plot either, mainly because I am not a fan of Phryne's father and will be perfectly if we never see him again (or had never met him in the first place). He doesn't really work as a lovable rogue (ala Han Solo).

I cried at Dot and Hugh's wedding, though I agree with the other posters re: why didn't we see any of their families? But I can handwave it due to the a) last minute change of plans, b) the disapproval on both sides and c) the show leans heavily on the "family we have made" vibe and everyone there is Dot and Hugh's family in that sense. So whatever, I loved it. I liked Phryne walking Dot down the aisle and Bert and Cec helping with Dot's dress and veil.

I actually don't hate this if it becomes the series finale, mainly because it leaves things open (Phryne/Jack) while wrapping up a few others (Dot/Hugh getting married) and you can imagine life will go on, somehow. But obviously I would like more! I do think this season was a bit more uneven than 1 and 2, given Jack's behavior (and to a lesser extent, Hugh's) in the early episode and then Hugh's disappearance but I still enjoyed it overall.

• Love 2

I'm watching the backstory on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries."  I have read all of the books and tried watching the mysteries more than once, but just couldn't get into them.  Maybe if I just try to concentrate on the show as its own thing, it will help, instead of comparing the show to the books.  I was kind of freaked out by Aunt Prudence character, and, in addition to Reo's excellent list above, I missed Eliza, Phryne's sister. 

I also REALLY miss Lin Chung and Li Pen.  Not to mention Ruth. 

• Love 1

I was quite willing to have lots of sympathy for Jack until I realized that he was dangling Concetta on a string himself.  That would have been a decent relationship for him -- she obviously adored him and he was likely to get more satisfaction than the months and years of endless teasing that Phryne offered. (Maybe because it reminds me of a long-term, long-distance relationship that consisted of hints and flirtatious innuendo and never came to anything, but it was frustrating to me.)

In the early seasons, it seemed as if he was confident in being able to hold his own beside her man of the night -- but in the later seasons (like this), it seemed as if his confidence was waning. How long was it over the three seasons? Was it all in 1929?

Flying from Australia to England would have been doable -- there would obviously be the need for frequent stops for refueling etc but it would take about 2-3 weeks rather than the 2-4 months the boat would have taken (especially pre-Suez Canal).

ETA:

Phryne was definitely a trailblazer... From Wikipedia:

[Amy] Johnson achieved worldwide recognition when, in 1930, she became the first woman pilot, or in the language of the time, "aviatrix", to fly solo from England to Australia. Flying G-AAAH, a Gipsy Moth which was the first of her aircraft named "Jason", she left Croydon, south of London, on 5 May of that year and landed in Darwin, Northern Territory, on 24 May after flying 11,000 miles (18,000 km). Her aircraft for this flight can still be seen in the Science Museum in London. She received the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE in recognition of this achievement, and was also honoured with the No. 1 civil pilot's licence under Australia's 1921 Air Navigation Regulations.[6][N 2]

Edited by morakot

I just starting reading Cocaine Blues, & I'm surprised at how different Dot is. I knew there was no Aunt Prudence in the books, so I knew we wouldn't meet Dot the same way as the show, but the way we do meet her in the books makes her seem a lot more street savvy than the show Dot. 

• Love 2

Last night (Feb 9, 2016) there was a fundraising special on this show & one of the hosts

of the show indicated that the 4th series is being filmed as they were creating the special.

So we'll see what happens. Previously I'd heard there was going to be a movie. I think this

series is probably very expensive to film, what with the sets & the wardrobe.

I didn't like this season as much as the previous seasons mostly because Hugh was missing

during most of the eps. I really didn't like Phrynnie's father and could have done without all

the eps of him. Also, I think Aunt Prudence might have mentioned that she didn't help out her

sister because all the money would go to her husband who'd just gamble and drink it away.

They might also have had a bit of a falling out and maybe Phyrnnie's mom wouldn't accept

Prudence's help. But it's been awhile since I've seen this 3rd series so I can't pinpoint when

this conversation came about. Prudence money came through marriage, not her own family

ties.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

This series was recommended to me by several women I respect and I've sloooowly been watching season 1 on Netflix.  It's delightful but I've not been in the mood to be delighted so I haven't binged it the way I normally would.  There were many occasions during S1 where I thought, "can I grow up to be Phryne Fisher?" and/or "can we bring back hats as a non-douchey thing?" but Murder Most Scandalous, specifically the fan dance, cemented my love for this show.  I love that she did it and, even if she'd known that nearly every person she interacts with on a daily basis was in the audience, didn't care.  I loved the reactions from all of the regular players -- from Jack barely raising an eyebrow to Hugh nearly jumping out of his socks.  I rewound and giggled several times.

• Love 1

Nathan Page is performing on stage in Melbourne at the moment in a fantastic play called The Distance. I saw it last week and he is great in it (although his role is a supporting one, not a lead role). If you can get hold of it, I can recommend an Australian series called Hiding, in which he plays a truly nasty character. It's quite a shock to see that nice Jack Robinson playing such a creep!

• Love 1

I hope the ratings on Ovation will be great because as there's still no word on whether there will be a fourth season this might tip the decision into the yes column. I'm curious as to why this is taking so long but it's television. It's kind of a rhetorical question.

And congratulations to Essie Davis on her three award nominations for the show! I wish the show as a whole and Nathan Page had been nominated too but I'll take what I can get.

(edited)

Er ... I guess this is 'media'? An 'Official Miss Fisher Colouring Book' is being released, and the launch is this Saturday in Melbourne. That link says Nathan Page (aka Jack Robinson) and Kerry Greenwood will be there; they have since announced that Essie Davis is attending too! I'm going, and will report back here. :)

Edited by purist
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 2:07 AM, purist said:

Er ... I guess this is 'media'? An 'Official Miss Fisher Colouring Book' is being released, and the launch is this Saturday in Melbourne. That link says Nathan Page (aka Jack Robinson) and Kerry Greenwood will be there; they have since announced that Essie Davis is attending too! I'm going, and will report back here. :)

So how was the event?  I've seen a few pictures on Instagram and Tumblr from fans who attended.  Essie and Nathan looked great (if they can't get Miss Fisher back I'd love to see the two of them team up on some other movie or tv show) and I saw a little video of Kerry speaking outside.

• Love 1
(edited)

If there are to be no further seasons, I'd at least hope for a final episode/movie to tie up some loose ends -- like Phryne and Jack finally getting together for something other than a kiss!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

So how was the event?  I've seen a few pictures on Instagram and Tumblr from fans who attended.  Essie and Nathan looked great (if they can't get Miss Fisher back I'd love to see the two of them team up on some other movie or tv show) and I saw a little video of Kerry speaking outside.

It was lovely. An absolutely glorious sunny autumn day in Melbourne, and the bookshop/theatre where it was held is in a truly delightful part of Melbourne. I didn't see Essie (she had been and gone before I arrived) but I did have a chat with Nathan - and he is sooooo nice. After the official proceedings were over he was pretty much mobbed by women, and seemed happy to take photos with and talk to everyone. He was still there when I left, 90 minutes later! The people from Every Cloud Productions (which produces the show) said that they 'aren't done with Miss Fisher yet', although they didn't specify whether that meant another TV series or a movie or what. It was good to hear that!

Every Cloud had a small range of their Miss Fisher merchandise for sale at the event, and it's all quite lovely.

• Love 4
(edited)

That's fantastic, purist!  I'm glad to hear there was a sizable turnout to the event. I'm also glad to hear MFMM isn't gone quite yet. Hope springs eternal and whatnot. 

What's really making me laugh though are the pictures from last night's Logie Awards. Apparently Essie and Nathan decided to play up Phryne and Jack to the hilt and were making the most hysterical faces at the cameras. (And in between times gave some very lovely pictures, too.) "Adorkable" is the word to best describe it, I think. 

Edited by COESpiral
  • Love 1

I've seen photos on FB from various people who attended.  I liked both the official MFMM page and the DIJAS page as well.  NP is so dreamy and still very fan-friendly.  Essie apparently had to leave due to her Logie Awards commitments later that evening.

• Love 1

Still reading (& surprised there isn't a book thread) & I just started Ruddy Gore. I think it was a mistake to set up a romance between Jack & Phryne on the show, I like their relationship much better in the books. Jack always lurking on the sidelines waiting for his chance kind of makes Phryne seem slutty when she's with other guys, they should have left him happily married.

• Love 1

Recently started watching this show on Ovation--comes on after Artful Detective (Murdoch Mysteries), and then I watch most of S1 on Netflix after that. Now I'm wondering about Phryne's family. Where does her money come from--mother's or father's side of the family? Her maternal aunt appears to be pretty wealthy, too but I read somewhere that her father inherits a title (baron, I think)?

Also, she takes in orphan Jane, but according to a show synopsis I read, she also takes in Ruth, who was seen in one episode--not sure if she appears any other times, and there's no more mention of her. Then there's the mystery of Phryne's sister Janey and the man believed to have abducted/killed her--why is he stalking Phyrne and orphan Jane now? Lastly, I read a synopsis of some episodes in S2 and S3 and suddenly Phryne has numerous family members showing up--is that true to the book series?

I appreciate any help in clarifying these issues!

35 minutes ago, kimaken said:

Recently started watching this show on Ovation--comes on after Artful Detective (Murdoch Mysteries), and then I watch most of S1 on Netflix after that. Now I'm wondering about Phryne's family. Where does her money come from--mother's or father's side of the family? Her maternal aunt appears to be pretty wealthy, too but I read somewhere that her father inherits a title (baron, I think)?

Also, she takes in orphan Jane, but according to a show synopsis I read, she also takes in Ruth, who was seen in one episode--not sure if she appears any other times, and there's no more mention of her. Then there's the mystery of Phryne's sister Janey and the man believed to have abducted/killed her--why is he stalking Phyrne and orphan Jane now? Lastly, I read a synopsis of some episodes in S2 and S3 and suddenly Phryne has numerous family members showing up--is that true to the book series?

I appreciate any help in clarifying these issues!

I'm still in the process of reading the books but

Spoiler

Phryne's family was very poor when she was young, & her sister actually dies from a disease (can't remember which one) in the books & the whole plot with her being murdered doesn't exist so he's stalking them just for the series. Then her father inherited a title & they became rich, so that's where her money comes from. Aunt Prudence isn't in the books at all, she's strictly for the TV show, & so far, I haven't seen any of Phryne's other relatives in the books. Ruth is more visible in the books & both Janey & Ruth have helped a bit in some of the cases. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Regarding her finances,

Spoiler

what was never clear to me is where her father's money went. I guess we were to assume that he made bad investments or gambled it away, but the inheritance must have been pretty large for Phryne to live the way she does and I never quite bought into her father being destitute. Phryne hardly mentions her mother but I'd think she'd throw her some cash in a trust or somewhere her father couldn't get it.

Edited by lordonia
On 11/12/2015 at 10:13 AM, OnceSane said:

I wouldn't mind if Phryne and Jack never get together, but there needs to be a good reason--none of this misunderstanding, hijinks, or some contrived BS only in the script to keep them apart. They are consenting adults with good brains, I'll need a good explanation if they don't get together.

I'm wondering how they COULD get them together in a way that makes sense.  They aren't on the same page about relationships right now at all. Would Phryne commit to a serious relationship or marriage? Would Jack engage in an overt non-marital relationship? In a modern era, there's middle ground. Not sure about this time and place, considering a picture of Hugh touching Dot's hip was considered scandalous. Jack strikes me as a moral sort. More freethinking than most, but still constrained by the times.

I like Phryne and Jack both separately and together, and hope they find a way where both characters can evolve towards a relationship without either one of them being lobotomized. We shall see!

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

I'm wondering how they COULD get them together in a way that makes sense.  They aren't on the same page about relationships right now at all

Jack has a considerable amount of personal rectitude but he's also more aware of the world's sins because of his job so is not all that shockable. He's so besotted with Phryne that I could see him being in a sexual relationship with her outside of marriage (although it would certainly be bumpy), but the show would have to do some serious retconning to make me believe Phryne would have any interest in being married. But I suppose it's possible she's sown enough oats and the lure of an equal romantic and intellectual partnership holds more appeal. I wouldn't want Jack to move into Phryne's house, though.

Mostly I want another season, whatever Jack and Phryne get up to!!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5
On 6/1/2016 at 9:57 AM, snarktini said:

I'm wondering how they COULD get them together in a way that makes sense.  They aren't on the same page about relationships right now at all. Would Phryne commit to a serious relationship or marriage? Would Jack engage in an overt non-marital relationship? In a modern era, there's middle ground. Not sure about this time and place, considering a picture of Hugh touching Dot's hip was considered scandalous. Jack strikes me as a moral sort. More freethinking than most, but still constrained by the times.

I like Phryne and Jack both separately and together, and hope they find a way where both characters can evolve towards a relationship without either one of them being lobotomized. We shall see!

I think they could both commit to a serious relationship outside of marriage…for a while.  And then realize it just won't work despite hoe much they want/love each other.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2015 at 7:36 AM, pootlus said:

Possibly my favourite of the season so far, mostly for the hilarious awkwardness of Phryne, Jack, Hugh and Dot trying to ignore the moving spider trapped by Phryne's diaphragm.

That scene is one of the funniest thing I have ever seen.  I laughed so hard my belly cramped up and I peed a little bit, something I haven't done since I was 4 years old. :)

• Love 5

My PBS station just played this one.

I enjoyed the episode but hated the murders of Laurie and the miners.  I don't think Nicholas was punished enough at all.

I liked seeing everyone in civvies though and Mac is always fun.  For some reason I really like the actress in this role even though I disliked her in Sea Patron.

We squealed when John Noble showed up.  I remember first seeing him about 2001 in The Lost World when he played Jack the Ripper.  Now that he's a big star, I guess he agreed to be on the episode because he knows someone associated with this show.

On December 17, 2015 at 11:46 PM, SophiaD said:

I'm watching the backstory on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries."  I have read all of the books and tried watching the mysteries more than once, but just couldn't get into them.  Maybe if I just try to concentrate on the show as its own thing, it will help, instead of comparing the show to the books.  I was kind of freaked out by Aunt Prudence character, and, in addition to Reo's excellent list above, I missed Eliza, Phryne's sister. 

I also REALLY miss Lin Chung and Li Pen.  Not to mention Ruth. 

I do think thinking of the shows as just "different" helps.  I also prefer the books, but see where the writers think Phrynee needed a "respectable" love interest.

i never understood the addition of Aunt Prudence, because it raises the question of why she didn't take care of the young Phrynee (and sisters, both book and show versions).