Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Ripple Effect

wknt3
  • Start Topic

A medium approaches Danny and Baez claiming to know what happened to a woman who was found dead of an apparent suicide. Also, Jamie and Eddie help a woman who bought cheap insulin online that nearly killed her son; Frank goes against the wishes of the archbishop to take down a man he believes is laundering money from a charity; and Erin's ex-husband asks her for help with an assault and robbery case.

I'm not into the whole medium/psychic thing, so for me Danny's storyline was a bust.

If Erin and Jack are going to get back together, they should just do it.  I'm sick of whatever it is they are doing now.  I think I once figured out that Jamie was 15 years older than Nicki so I guess, 13 or 14 year old Jamie warned Jack before they got married.  Whatever.

I liked Eddie and Jamie's story.  I am still against their whole work situation, but I think Eddie's fears were realistic.  They've never been together in any capacity other than working together.  It's reasonable to wonder what will happen when/if that stops.

I don't think I fully grasped where they were going with Frank's story, but it was sweet of him to try to get an audience with the pope for Henry.

• Love 2

I've missed a couple of episodes so maybe that was already dealt with but wasn't the main reason for the psychic plot to remind us all that Linda was murdered? At first I thought she might be introduced as a new love interest but then belligerent Medical Examiner showed up.

I always enjoy Stacey Keach and Tom Selleck facing off in a battle of patriarchs of righteousness.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I've missed a couple of episodes so maybe that was already dealt with but wasn't the main reason for the psychic plot to remind us all that Linda was murdered? At first I thought she might be introduced as a new love interest but then belligerent Medical Examiner showed up.

I always enjoy Stacey Keach and Tom Selleck facing off in a battle of patriarchs of righteousness.

is there a reason we need to be reminded Linda was murdered? Didn't they already take care of that, and  why would we need a psychic just for Danny to say "she didn't die, she was murdered."  That could have come from a hostile suspect or something.

4 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Someone refresh my memory:  when did Linda's helicopter accident while doing something medical-related turn into murder?  I haven't missed any of the episodes....

Lou Diamond Phillips told Danny that he was behind the "accident" and that it was really murder.  I think.  

• Love 2

A poster said a few episodes ago that Tom Selleck is always sitting, he never gets up. Now, it's all I can see! I think he got up and walked a little at the end of this epidsode but not much. I also wonder if he has a health issue? And his constant scowl, please make that stop.

In all of these years, Erin has never found anybody else, it's always just Jack for a booty call. Now we hear Jack talks about Erin on all of his dates. Why are they doing this? 

Eddie looked beautiful in that wedding dress.

• Love 2

I haven't been enjoying Blue Bloods very much this season so I was pleasantly surprised that I liked this episode.    I'm assuming Jamie and Eddie's wedding will be the season finale in May.   That's something to look forward to this season.    I do enjoy seeing Jack.   I normally dislike Erin but I find that I like her when she's with Jack.   

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The actress that plays the M.E. wrote on Instagram implied she's going to be recurring.  Even when she showed up I thought "she's going to be Danny's new foil so of course they're going to hook up." 

4 hours ago, Katy M said:
4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Someone refresh my memory:  when did Linda's helicopter accident while doing something medical-related turn into murder?  I haven't missed any of the episodes....

Lou Diamond Phillips told Danny that he was behind the "accident" and that it was really murder.  I think.  

At the end of season 7 when Danny made a big bust on a drug shipment, the gang retaliated by torching his house, but their plan wasn't a huge success because the rest of the family was out for ice cream.  So they went with blowing up her helicopter as a plan b.  At least that's what Lou Diamond Phillips' character is heavily implying. Which sort of begs the question, how does Linda know she was murdered unless she saw someone holding a detonator and was looking right at her?

I didn't mind this episode overall.  I liked that Stacy Keach is making Frank be a pen pal to inmates. 

• Love 1

"I haven't been enjoying Blue Bloods very much this season so I was pleasantly surprised that I liked this episode.    I'm assuming Jamie and Eddie's wedding will be the season finale in May.   That's something to look forward to this season.    I do enjoy seeing Jack.   I normally dislike Erin but I find that I like her when she's with Jack. "

quote function doesn't seem to be working. what i really liked about the exchange between jack and erin is that when he called her on her shit she didn't get all defensive, as is the reagan's wont, but actually considered what jack said and took it to heart. 

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode a lot.  I like that all four of them had a story line, and it was cool that they had a common theme.   I really like Callie Thorne, and I have friends who are psychic mediums, so that part of the story was a treat.  So now Danny has been told by multiple sources that Linda's death wasn't an accident,  It's fine with me if that story comes up again through the rest of the season and it's ok if it doesn't.  

I don't think that there's a physical reason for Frank sitting so often, although it is possible.  By nature of his role, sitting is a big part of his job, and they never show the family before dinner, or right after dinner, where they might actually be moving around. There are many occasions when he is walking, such as in the beginning and near the end of this episode.  

I loved Eddie's wedding dress. This is where having four storylines hurts the show, because I would have loved to see more of the case Eddie and Jamie were working on. It felt like too much happened off screen because the show didn't have the time to cover it.

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think I once figured out that Jamie was 15 years older than Nicki so I guess, 13 or 14 year old Jamie warned Jack before they got married.  Whatever.

I thought he meant that all of the brothers (and possibly Henry and Frank) talked to him at once, so they were all in a room together. I'm guessing Joe and Danny, probably Danny did most of the talking for the brothers and Jamie stood there and said "Yeah"/agreed with what Danny said. 

During the dinner scene instead of talking about their bucket list, it would have been fun to hear them talk about the medium and find out who believes in that sort of thing and why and throw in some surprises. For example, I think the audience would be surprised to find that Jamie, if he doesn't believe is at least open to the possibility and that while Frank does not believe, Henry does. Henry and Jamie rarely take the some position on an issue. Nicky doesn't believe, but Sean isn't sure yet. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think I once figured out that Jamie was 15 years older than Nicki so I guess, 13 or 14 year old Jamie warned Jack before they got married.  Whatever.

Warned Jack about what? What a whiney, exacting, judgmental, snotty, pain-in-the-ass Erin is? But I'll give her (thanks to the writers) credit for recognizing that she may be just a wee bit overzealous in her antagonistic and sanctimonious behavior. Maybe she'll turn into a mensch after all.

Nicky has certainly gotten off to a great start with respect to imbibing in her share of alcohol. I'd like to see one Reagan decline a drink, whip out a pack of cigarettes and light one up right at the dinner table. Or better still, pull out a roach clip and blunt, and smoke it whilst the rest of the family are sucking down Johnnie, Jack, Jim, or Jose... whatever it is they pound down in that family. 

And I'm a little tired of hearing Selleck say, "Well, I don't like him." There's been a little too much Jesse Stone influenced dialogue on Blue Bloods; for example: "I'm the police chief/police commissioner; I know everything," among other pithy cross-over remarks. 

Nuff bitchin'...

On the other hand, it was fun to see Curry Graham play a semi-sleezy character for a change; he always plays straight-up, stand-up guys on other shows, like a teacher or a prosecutor, so this was a nice change.

They showed Frank standing and walking more in this episode than he has all season. At one point, Tom delivered lines while standing, which I bet you we haven't seen him do in at least 30 episodes, if not more. It sounds crazy, but if you watch  season 8, you'll see that he almost never talks while standing and he never, ever talks and walks. This week's movement is possibly related to Tom Selleck's face being very big and round with none of the prominent cheekbones or jaw line of the past. If you are taking a steroid for arthritis, it allows you to stand and move, almost miraculously so, but it sure does give you a moon face. 

59 minutes ago, Ebau said:

Warned Jack about what? 

First of all, I was responding to @Katy M. I'm guessing the context of the warning was the tpyical (if somewhat stereotypical and outdated) lecture that fathers, grandfathers, and older brothers often give. "If you hurt her, if you make her really unhappy in any way, you're going to have to deal with us." Here's an example pretty much spoofing the speech. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176QIaC18Kk

59 minutes ago, Ebau said:

Nicky has certainly gotten off to a great start with respect to imbibing in her share of alcohol.  I'd like to see one Reagan decline a drink, whip out a pack of cigarettes and light one up right at the dinner table. Or better still, pull out a roach clip and blunt, and smoke it whilst the rest of the family are sucking down Johnnie, Jack, Jim, or Jose... whatever it is they pound down in that family. 

Why is it a big deal if someone who is over 21 has a drink with dinner? Since the Sunday dinners tend to be pretty long, she's probably well under the legal limit before she drives home. Drinking is legal, smoking pot is still illegal in New York so there's that. Second hand smoke from cigarettes is deadly and has a negative impact on those around you, while there is not a direct equivalent for drinking. As long as someone doesn't drink and drive, drinking alcohol will not have the same kind of long term health effect on others as second hand smoke. 

I don't get it. Characters can't drink on TV? Is the issue they are driving home after they drink? Is there some joke/sarcasm I'm missing? 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1

No comments on Danny's 'do? 

Poor Eddie. Her only friends are her sisters-in-law to be, a mother-daughter duo. 

It amazes me the things that people believe and swear by, and then pooh-pooh things that are equally as ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

In all of these years, Erin has never found anybody else, it's always just Jack for a booty call. Now we hear Jack talks about Erin on all of his dates. Why are they doing this? 

I rolled my eyes so hard at the Jack talking about Erin on his dates. Sigh....Of course he does. Wasn't there an episode a couple seasons ago where Anthony was in hospital and his ex-wife said that he talked about Erin all the time to his daughter as well? I could be misremembering though.

3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Why is it a big deal if someone who is over 21 has a drink with dinner? Since the Sunday dinners tend to be pretty long, she's probably well under the legal limit before she drives home.

Hee! If I was having dinner with the Reagan clan I would be knocking the drinks back. Their self-righteousness would drive me to drink.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I don't get it. Characters can't drink on TV? Is the issue they are driving home after they drink? Is there some joke/sarcasm I'm missing? 

The problem is the characters on this show are almost always shown drinking when they are not at work. Alcohol is written into every single episode. And don't fool yourself into thinking that alcohol is not as unhealthy as smoking. As a health care provider, I can assure you that dying from liver failure is every bit as excruciating as dying from COPD or lung cancer. And the Reagans tend to mix their drinks: they have wine with dinner, and Erin invariably screws a glass of scotch into Frank's hand for their frequent father-daughter dialogues later in the day, so I would argue your assertion that they are "well below the legal limit" by the time they drive home. As law enforcement officers, they should not drink and drive at all and this show's depiction of a hard-drinking Irish cop family is irresponsible at best. 

15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! If I was having dinner with the Reagan clan I would be knocking the drinks back. Their self-righteousness would drive me to drink.

Ha! Even I'll drink to that. Cheers!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, rhys said:

I didn't care for Eddie's dress & wondered if strapless was ok in Catholic churches & still in fashion. Ha!

Still in fashion (I wouldn't wear it though) and acceptable in the Catholic church.  I liked it, but I'm glad it is not the dress.

6 hours ago, dirtydi said:

Still in fashion (I wouldn't wear it though) and acceptable in the Catholic church.  I liked it, but I'm glad it is not the dress.

The minute they showed her in the dress, I knew it wouldn’t be THE dress. No way were TPTB going to show us her actual dress until the actual wedding episode. 

I could have done without the medium, but I did like that Linda got a mention.  This show had at least tried to let Danny show a period of grief. So many others just have a one episode death and then the widow/widower is dating a couple episodes later and there’s no mention of ‘the first holiday after, the loneliness, the memories’. 

I didn’t care for the medical examiner at all.  Guess I’m too used to the ones in the various Law and Orders that actually seem to care. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ebau said:

On the other hand, it was fun to see Curry Graham play a semi-sleezy character for a change; he always plays straight-up, stand-up guys on other shows, like a teacher or a prosecutor, so this was a nice change.

As I recall, he played a rather sleazy DA on Murder in the First a while back. Currently playing a seemingly OK guy on The Rookie.

Shallow observation: Marissa Ramirez finally got a better hairstyle an epi or two ago.

• Love 2
On 2/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Ebau said:

As a health care provider, I can assure you that dying from liver failure is every bit as excruciating as dying from COPD or lung cancer.

I have no idea about the medical stuff I'm going to trust your expert opinion on that.

Here's what I meant with one of my other points: Let's say there's a family member who drinks, and one who does not. The family member who drinks may be at a greater risk for liver cancer, but the family member who doesn't will not have a greater risk for liver cancer just because they have a family member who drinks. However, if there is a family member who smokes, the family member who does not smoke will have a greater risk for lung cancer. Second-smoke is real and poses an actual physical health risk to those around the smoker. I am not aware of any sort of direct equivilant for drinking. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Ebau said:

And don't fool yourself into thinking that alcohol is not as unhealthy as smoking. As a health care provider, I can assure you that dying from liver failure is every bit as excruciating as dying from COPD or lung cancer.

My Dad died of alcoholic cirrhosis of the Liver when I was 23, so I can attest to that.  Watching him waste away from a jaunty, robust man into a skeleton is something I'll never forget.

There’s  booze in the office, booze with the priest, booze at the local watering hole and booze at home. Top notch stuff to boot.

Danny seems to like his beer more though. 

The idea of the weekly dinners is nice, but remembering my teen years, I find it hard to believe none of the kids rebel about spending every Sunday at a fancy sit down dinner. Don’t the boys or Nikki have friends to hang with?. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

My Dad died of alcoholic cirrhosis of the Liver when I was 23, so I can attest to that.  Watching him waste away from a jaunty, robust man into a skeleton is something I'll never forget.

I so sorry. That must've been a terrible experience for you - and your dad. 

• Love 1

Strange for me but this episode was actually decent with a couple of exceptions. Danny is turned in to a big time dick. I think he needs to get laid.

For a change Frank's character I liked in this show. But something is wrong with Tom as it seems he can hardly walk.

As for Erin she was just OK. But I really do like the Anthony character.

At least we only had three story lines this episode.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, iwasish said:

The idea of the weekly dinners is nice, but remembering my teen years, I find it hard to believe none of the kids rebel about spending every Sunday at a fancy sit down dinner. Don’t the boys or Nikki have friends to hang with?. 

My guess is that Frank, and later Erin and Danny (after they had kids) made it clear you can spend Friday night and Saturday with your friends but Sunday is family time. Also, I can hear one of parents saying "you can talk to your friends after dinner" or "you'll see them at school on Monday."

• Love 1
On 2/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, bichonblitz said:

The old saying "you can't live with them and you can't live without them>"